hygeine mod

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 -sheol16-

-sheol16-

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:59 PM

i'm thinking about making a mod that replaces the jail golem at the beginning of SoA with a gnoll that offers a haircut. I'm also thinking about adding other additions to where the character has the chance to brush his/her teeth, take a bath, clip nails, etc. This will be almost pointless, except for the gnoll will be moved to another area afterwards which, if i complete it, you will see. The gnoll will have a special pointless item which i have already finished, and his dialog is finished. This idea came to me when i realized that no one gets their hair cut, and nobody has the option of good hygeine. Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Anyone?

#2 psiclops

psiclops

Where we go from here is ^2u.

• 330 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:11 PM

Surely you can't be serious. :)

Surely...

Might be more useful to add eating into the game than hygeine imo. ;)
Too interesting to be described in three words - Watch me 1-up Einstein.

The Darkish Day - Tome of Wisdom (+3). Armageddon XIII. ©Alltime - GOD.

Western - LEO (Leo Aspect (Cnjt)). Eastern - Dragon (Element - Fire). Acronymizing UPD8!!!!!!.

Fravia ... || || || ... "Some sections of this lore will remain closed to you until you develop your egoistical searcher's Heijoshin into a more capable ethical seekers' Fudoshin" - © 3rd Millennium: [fravia+], all rights reserved. (APC - 3 Libras). Go6gle.

#3 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 09:16 PM

Unless it adds temporary CHA bonuses.

#4 -Mantrasong-

-Mantrasong-

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:26 AM

Maybe you should add the ablility to go to the bathroom ;)

--------------------------------------------------
This really is me, I'm just too lazy to log in

#5 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:42 AM

:huh: Hmm.. although it would add some realism to the BG world, unless it had any affects on your character, would it actually be worth it? Maybe you could change the idea slightly so that the NPC's can get haircuts which change their portraits, or the one's with the beards to have them shaved... I think that'd be cool.

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#6 psiclops

psiclops

• 330 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:47 AM

"Forgotten Wars paging JPS..." - NPCs are lining up for a shave as we speak ;)

Just think, if you added personal hygeine, you could add all kinds of conditioners and moisturisers into the game!! Only Ribald's would sell Pantene of course...

Western - LEO (Leo Aspect (Cnjt)). Eastern - Dragon (Element - Fire). Acronymizing UPD8!!!!!!.

Fravia ... || || || ... "Some sections of this lore will remain closed to you until you develop your egoistical searcher's Heijoshin into a more capable ethical seekers' Fudoshin" - © 3rd Millennium: [fravia+], all rights reserved. (APC - 3 Libras). Go6gle.

#7 psiclops

psiclops

• 330 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

CAUTION! --- Whilst perhaps impressing Rose Bouquet, wearing excessive aftershave may inhibit her ability to distinguish between guril-berries and bark...

#8 psiclops

psiclops

• 330 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:25 PM

I shite you not... this is an actual screen-cap from before I entered this thread right now. And I haven't been visiting the thread to up the numbers... I just happened to notice this anomaly as I scanned the list...

How is this even possible... Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

Stupid idea! Next up is a mod that makes everybody say ' Are we there yet?

Why do I need shorter cutscenes when I have to send my NPCs to the Loo every other hour?
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#10 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:51 PM

It is worth noting that the only indoor bathrooms in all of Amn are apparently in Nalia's keep.

This may explain its importance.

#11 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:57 PM

I knew the day would come eventually when intelligent ideas for mods would end. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gabrielle, 31 August 2004 - 02:58 PM.

For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#12 -4.16000000000000014210854715-

-4.16000000000000014210854715-

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:57 PM

I can see it now: 'You must go to the bathroom' would rival 'You must gather your party'. +5 underpants of avoiding streak marks, anyone?

Realism to the nth degree is best left with reality.

#13 psiclops

psiclops

• 330 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:02 PM

You must exit your party before issuing forth... :zzz:

#14 JPS

JPS

Knight of the Living Dead

• 205 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:53 PM

It is worth noting that the only indoor bathrooms in all of Amn are apparently in Nalia's keep.

This may explain its importance.

It is also worth noting that one of the toilets in there has a gem in it. I don't normally go rummaging though other people's toilets, but i found it by accident the first time I had Jan in my party... :unsure:
"They have no thought of safety, subtlety, or strategy, leaving others with no hope of stopping their mass assault."

Visit the Gibberlings Three!

#15 -sheol16-

-sheol16-

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:49 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their positive feedback :angry: Not one person had anything nice to say. I asked if anyone thought it was a good idea, not a bad one. That's OK. I do think that my vampire or werewolf mod is a good idea though. I never said it was intelligent, but it would add realism. Apparently realism isn't wanted.

#16 MantraSong

MantraSong

Sweet, harmless killer...

• 217 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:55 PM

Actually, it would be pretty funny, it just needs to have some effect on the characters :)
Just because I'm paranoid does not mean the world isn't out to get me!!

'Blink your eyelids periodically to lubricate your eyes.' ? Page 16 of the HP 'Environmental, Health Safety Handbook for Employees'.

Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

#17 -sheol16-

-sheol16-

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:59 PM

thanks mantrasong, i just don't know how to make temporary benefits like that, i think i might know, i'll have to check the .ids first. The portrait change would be difficult because i don't know how to edit pictures very well, it took me ten minutes to get close to getting rid of viconia's mole.

#18 psiclops

psiclops

• 330 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

Hey sheol. Sorry I was so hard on this. It's not because the idea sux completely - you obviously like it for a start! - it's just not the sort of stuff most people play this game for. This game-type is better catered for by games like 'The Sims' and 'hygeine mod' was going to be slammed by me no matter who had posted it, within reason. It's just my opinion.

Unless it adds temporary CHA bonuses

I actually thought this was a really good idea if it's the sort of thing you wanted to do. Brush you teeth before you leave the inn in the morning, or you wander around with a bad reaction adjustment all day.

I asked if anyone thought it was a good idea, not a bad one.

Are you actually requesting only positive feedback? How could you possibly learn from that? Stroke the ego when the money's in the bank dude!

That's OK. I do think that my vampire or werewolf mod is a good idea though. I never said it was intelligent, but it would add realism. Apparently realism isn't wanted.

Some of the most successful people in the world have people above them vetoing their work every day without even getting a reason (maybe). Because ideas get exposed, they may have to be discarded for more important projects, even if they are good in their own right.

People are just giving you their opinion sheol16... wouldn't it be a little strange if all your ideas were great, and everyone thought so?

Obviously there's a big market for games that include hygeine ('The Sims'), so you're obviously on to something, just please don't go stocking my BG2-stores with beauty-products man!! For the love of everything 'machismo'...

Edited by psiclops, 31 August 2004 - 08:03 PM.

#19 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:49 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their positive feedback :angry: Not one person had anything nice to say. I asked if anyone thought it was a good idea, not a bad one. That's OK. I do think that my vampire or werewolf mod is a good idea though. I never said it was intelligent, but it would add realism. Apparently realism isn't wanted.

Realism? Those two golems in the first level are guards.. a haircutting gnoll wouldn't be a good guard to replace them. Everything in there is in theory under the inflewence of the resident BG2 evil overlord..

Then again he's never read the evil overloard list, so I guess why not?

The problem is if you add something that has no effect on the actual character people wont go for it. If it were to give them a temporary CHA bonus - enough to help them when they go to buy something, and last long enough to get to a shopkeeper it would be worthwhile..
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#20 -sheol16-

-sheol16-

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:03 PM

yes, it is a somewhat lame idea. I just thought i would replace the jailkeep golem because i knew if i replaced him the gnoll wouldn't be in a wall. And yes, i was thinking that the hygeine should have somewhat of an effect on the characters, because i think it's disgusting that these people never bathe or brush.

Hey sheol. Sorry I was so hard on this.

I wasn't serious about being so upset about the negative feedback. If i didn't get any negative feedback on any of my mod ideas, how would i know what to change or get rid of altogether. This is what i was hoping for. There is no need to apologize, the gnoll isn't a nice guy, he actually harms you and runs off to another area, and then you fight him again, and then he runs again, and then you go to his home which i plan on adding to the world map. There, i said it. Nobody will ever play this mod. Or maybe they will, i don't really care. I'm just having fun making it. In my opinion that's all that matters. Does anyone have coordinates for the gnoll where he wouldn't be standing in a wall. Thanks for the feedback fellow forumers.

Edited by sheol16, 31 August 2004 - 08:12 PM.