• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

Shadowtech's BP-BGT-NEJ install guide

(because one can never have too many install guides for this monster!

The files:
can be found here

The what the contents of your game directory should look like, see also this thread. following the convention on that thread,
Green is for an execution file (.exe)
Red is for a folder (NOT a zip file)
Blue is for batch files (.bat)

Bgt3
BP-BGT
BGT-NE] PATCH 313
BP-NeJ
Lost files
MK1-MK3 1.13-fixes
NeJ
NeJ Fix
Patch snares
TS-Install
TSv504
TSv505

BP-BGT-NeJ v311 Brief Read-me.txt
BPv161G-full.exe
Fixed-BpBGT-NeJ-310-complete.exe
Setup-BP-BGT.exe

Setup-BP-BGT.tp2
Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH3 113.exe
Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.tp2
Setup-BPNeJ.exe
Setup-BPNeJ.tp2
Setup-NEJ.exe
Setup-NeJ.tp2
Setup-NeJFix.exe
Setup-NeJFix.tp2
Soubar-l0lpatch.exe
Soubar-v100.exe
TDD-103Full.exe
TDD-103-to-103A-Patch.exe
T5v50.exe
T5v503.exe

Hi, I know there is a lot of install guides to install this beast of a mod(s) so I want to share how I successfully installed it (with lots of help from people), this is just how I did it and is to help people with clear instructions on "How To" it?s not official, and may not be 100% correct, It?s just how I got everything successfully installed and it all works fine for me.

First Install FULL versions of the Games:
Install BGI and TotSC add-on to C:\baldur, NOT the default directory but to C:\baldur
as install didn't work for me when I installed to default directory and moved it to C:\baldur.
NOTE: I have "The original Saga" 3 CD set". If you are using the 5 CD set + TotSC, get the appropriate patch from here.

Install BGII and ToB and the official-Throne of Bhaal Patch 26498

RUN BGI and setup configuration
RUN BII and setup configuration

Don?t forget to add debug and cheat lines to the baldur.ini files

Second the files:
File Downloads:

The Darkest Day:
TDD V1.0.3:
TDD V1.0.3a Patch

Shadows Over Soubar:
Shadows Over Soubar v1.0.0
Shadows Over Soubar v1.0.1 patch

Tortured Souls:
Tortured Souls v5.01
Tortured Souls v5.03 Patch
Tortured Souls v5.04 Patch
Tortured Souls v5.05 Patch

Baldur's Gate Trilogy:
bgt_mk3_112.exe
lost-files. zip
patch-snares. zip

Never Ending Journey:
NeverEndingJourney-weiduv 13i. rar
NeJ1v14p.zip

The Big Picture:
BPv161G-FULL
BP.BGT.NEJ_PATCH313
Fixed-BP-BGT-NEJ.310.COMPLETE
BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH312
BP-NeJv12.rar

OK, Once I had all these files I followed this guide on what to move to the BG II directory and what to do with them there, it worked for me so there?s no point in re-typing it.

I set everything up in a temp folder to make sure I had it right then I moved everything to my C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA Directory.

Then download the spellholdstudios.netinstall checker (Checker041b) and unzip to your Black Isle\BGII - SoA director. Run program and push ?check".
Your results should all come up as green "ok". Note the 3 CD set of BGI will return a yellow "maybe", but note also that Horred said he used the 3 CD set to make The Big picture) so there should be no problem.

OK Now the Install:
1. If you haven?t done so make sure you create a folder in your Black Isle\BGII - SoA Directory named TS-Install

2. Run Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe BUT DONT INSTALL IT, just run it then select [N] for install.

NOTE: This is VERY important. I learned this the HARD way: if you don?t do this your install will FAIL and you?ll waste an hour and alot of hard work, you will get a message saying "please re-run Setup-BP-BGT.exe to actually install the mod, windows wont let me do it". If you get this message your install WILL FAIL, when you try to play you will start in the first dungeon in BGII and not in Candledeep, trust me, as it happened to me.

3. Delete your WeiDU.log in your Black Isle\BGII - SoA Directory

4. Run Fixed-BP-BGT-NEJ-310-COMPLETE.exe
Note: This is the main auto-installer, install took 58 minutes on my computer so be ready for a long install process.

For SoS and TDD install select your Black Isle\BGII - SoA Directory

For TS and the TS patch select Black Isle\BGII - SoA Directory\TS-Install for the install directory.

5. When it gets to BGT it will ask you for your BGI directory, type

C:\baldur and then press Ctrl+Z, then press Enter.

6. When it asks you for your BGII "BGMain.exe" file browse to your Black Isle\BGII ? SoA directory and select BGMain.exe. It will then ask you to adjust your starting experience points. I typed in 100, then update, it will ask you if you want to make a backup of your BGMain.exe, I chose yes (cant hurt).

7. Grab a coke and watch some TV, it'll be a while...

8. When installation is done, Run your game and configure.

9. open your baldur.ini file and add under [GAME OPTIONS]:
Force Dialog Pause= 1

10. delete your WeiDU.log file

11. There?s stuff you can delete but I?m not sure what, from the readme:
"At this point, you should delete your WeiDU.log file and clean out (delete) the CONTENTS of your {BP-BGT, NeJ, and BP-BGT} \ Backup folders---EXCEPT the keep.me files. Remember, all that data is up inside of biff folders now. This will insure that future patches to any all of these mods install just fine."

Quote from Kalindor to further understand what to delete:
"Let it be known that you are only to delete the contents of the BACKUP sections of these folders. Don't go deleting the entire BP-BGT or NeJ folders or you'll trash your hard earned BP installation. "

Sounds like good advice

12. Run the Setup-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.exe

13. You're Finished !!!!!

Other Stuff:

I hope this helps some people, I got all this from helpful people on these forums
Disclaimer: THIS IS IN NO WAY OFFICIAL IN ANY WAY!!!
This is just what I did to install everything and it all works fine for me.
I am simply sharing what I did to install everything, so follow these directions AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thanks to all the helpful people who put up with me while I was installing everything and helped me through this process.
Also though this is a complicated install, it is WELL WORTH THE EFFORT, it took me many time to get it right. The modders who made all this stuff have tripled (at least) the playability and fun of the Baldur?s Gate series and made the game look better. thanks to you all ! ! !

Note 1: If you are using Win 98 there are known problems with the BGT installer. you need to do the following:

After extraction, open up the bgt_setup.bat file with Notepad or another text editor. Replace this line:
FOR /F "delims=" %%v IN (TEMP$$$$.$$$) DO SET BG1PATH=%%v
with this line:
SET BG1PATH=qqqqq
Replace qqqqq with the path to your BG1 installation.

thanks to Chev for pointing this out - seanas

Note 2: if you get an error saying 'the XP patcher can't find COMDLG.OCX' you have three options.

1. Install the TeamBG VB6 package from here.

2. [from Blackhat]
1) download COMDLG32.OCX to c:\windows\system32
2) Open a command prompt
3) run "regsvr32\windows\system32\COMDLG32.OCX"

3. Hex-edit BGMain.exe
[from Hunor]
?I want to reply on that .OCX file. After reading the xp-patcher's readme, it was clear that its not necessary if you've got a good hex-editing program such as for example ultra edit. Just hex(89000) with a calculator program, make pairs of it, reverse their order, search it in the BGMain.exe then replace it with hex(100). That's all. (If it looks hard, don?t worry, it isn?t). Oh well it's an alternative way."

[from PolarBear]
1) Get a hexadecimal editing program like UltraEdit.

2) Make a backup copy of your Bgmain.exe (can't hurt)

3) Open Bgmain.exe with your freshly downloaded editor
and perform a search for this "number": A8 5B 01
and replace it with this one : 64 00 00

[from Sir-Kill] Ok, here is the Shadowtech install guide with some tweaks of my own, I tried to keep it as close to the original as I could but there was a lot of junk in there. I spent a few hours on it if you see any thing wrong let me know!

originally posted by Shaodwtech at TeamBG on 20 June 2004, reposted and edited by Sir-Kill at forgottenwars.net on 7 Sept 2004, edited, links corrected and pinned by seanas on 12 Sept 2004

Edited by seanas, 27 December 2004 - 07:53 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||