Photo

Spells in BP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jaegar

jaegar
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

I was looking over news spells in BP using NI and I noticed something. None of the new spells (I assume they are from TDD) are dispellable and check against magic resistance.

For example, Bull's Str, a 2nd level priest spell that boost STR randomly by 1 to 4 is not dispellable at all.

Execution (lvl 7 wiz) 30+6D10 dmg (max of 90 dmg) or save vs spells at -3 for half, no MR check.

Suffocation (lvl 8 wiz) silence and do 2d6 dmg for 8 rounds also does not check against magic resistance.

Needless to say, all of the new spells are way more powerful (perhaps too powerful) than their description would suggest. I modified all the lower level buff spells (Bull's Strength, Endurance, Cat's Grace) to be dispellable, but I'm not so sure about the higher level ones. Are these intentional or an oversight by the TDD team?

#2 jaegar

jaegar
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:04 PM

Here's another spell that I've been using for a while. I always assumed it checked against MR. When it worked everytime on those supposedly insanely high MR Ulitharids, I thought it was too much to chalk up to good luck. Checking the SPL files confirms this:

Thunderclap (lvl 2 wiz)

2d4+ 5 at level 20 & stun, 0 casting time (instant). No save, No MR

Since it doesnt check against MR at all, anything that that is not immune to paralysis even the almighty Kangaxx - can be stunned with impunity every round, which isn't much of a feat considering a Sorcerer can have a buttload of level 2 spells. And as far as I know, only trolls are immune to stun, I havent seen anything else that thunderclap can't touch.

#3 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:44 PM

I confirm...The spells from TDD and probably from SoS too(though not sure), are just fake...I didnt post it before though since I thought that other problems are of a more importance than this problem...
Obviously another thing those modmakers forgot to include...anyway a patch or something would be nice else there's not much point in playing BP with such fake-spells...especially the thunderclap spell should be banned...it actually deals
2d4 +20 dmg on max lvl with a save for half and ALWAYS stuns the opponent without save or MR....this just screams "I suck!!!.
Ignorance Is Bliss

#4 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

To be honest such a spell-fixing patch was made a few years ago. I honestly thought it was already included in BP, but I guess it's not. *Wonders if he still has a copy of the fix in his archives somewhere.*

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#5 jaegar

jaegar
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:37 AM

To be honest such a spell-fixing patch was made a few years ago. I honestly thought it was already included in BP, but I guess it's not. *Wonders if he still has a copy of the fix in his archives somewhere.*

View Post

Great news! I really would love to use the new spells regularly, but without dispels (on buffs) and MR checks (for offensives), I've had to limit myself to use them only on cheesy buffed up mobs.

#6 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:28 PM

View Post

Find anything yet Hlid? I would really like to apply these changes without having to make them myself.

#7 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 12:32 PM

Nothing yet. It's not on my HD and is likely buried in one of my archive stacks of CDs. I haven't had time to even sort those yet.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#8 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:09 PM

Ahh well...thanks for looking. Hopefully you can find it.

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:45 PM

Ahh well...thanks for looking.  Hopefully you can find it.

View Post

I'm just a guest but thought I'd ask if a solution to this problem has been found.

-Thanks

PS- Great Mod keep of the good work.