• 1003 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:32 PM

Method 1

Re-installing a patched BG2 in 1 minute

1. Install the game (SoA & ToB)
2. Patch the game
3. Baldurdash your game
4. Create a new folder called "Backup"
5. copy: chitin.key and dialog.tlk and the OVERRIDE folder into the backup folder.
6. Add mods or mess around

If you screw up and wanna reinstall the game:

1. delete the chitin.key and dialog.tlk and the OVERRIDE folder from your BG install folder.
2. Delete the WeiDU.log (If it's there)
3. Copy the contents of your backup folder into the BG install folder
4. You justre-installed Bg2 in 1 minute
5. It takes me longer to type this messege then to re-install the game

Method 2

Though I use method 1 quite often. I also use another method.

1. Install the game
2. Patch it
3. Baldurdash it
4. Zip it (www.winzip.com) or Rar it (www.rarlabs.com) Both are free.
5. Burn the entire BgII - SoA folder onto a CD/DVD.

Now, when I uninstall/re-installed the game 30 or so times, it gets rather messy with all those mod folder/debug files/setup-blah files. So I whipe everything except the keys in the register. Then I copy my fresh patched/baldurdashed version from my CD/DVD to my HDD. It takes a while longer, maybe 5 minutes but at least I know that my install is crispy clean. Oh yeah, don't forget to remove the read only flag. Saves a few headaches when you're installing mods and WeiDU bugs you that it can't change the dialog.tlk :-D

SO... for a quick reinstall, use method 1, for a total crispy clean BG II folder install, use method 2. :thumb:

#2 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:38 PM

This one should be stickied imo. Method 1 has allready saved me much time and even more headaches.

If not stickied, at least put in the tutorials section.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#3 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:40 PM

Man, we think alike. LOL

It seems like these questions are asked pretty frequently, that's why I posted it here too. Sticky or no, it's definetly usefull imo. :-)

#4 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 07:02 PM

:thumb:

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:57 PM

So I whipe everything except the keys in the register.

Perhaps someone here knows if BG2 changes something except register keys during installation?
The problem is that I was trying ty make myself BG2 distributive that didn't require installation at all - quite useful after "format c:" - so I make full install, patch it, no-cd it, baldurdash it and burn it on DVD-R together with exported from registry entry ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BioWare Corp]). Then to check if it ever works, I uninstall BG2 from my computer, copy my freshly-burned installation and re-write exported key back to my registry. To my surprise, even although I return registry entry back to where it was meant to be, the game still think it's not installed, so instead "Play" button I get "Install" in BG2 starting screen. Did someone knows what else should I /extract/emulate/rewrite/whatewer to make BG2 think that it's installed properly?

#6 5th_horseman

5th_horseman
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

A tip for fast reinstalls and multi-installs.

I've set up a fake full install, basicily a minimun install, then copied all the cd's to the harddrive, each cd has a seperate directory. In my case the the directories are on a different drive and ide channel. Then edited the the balder.ini to direct the game to the directories for each cd, and HD0 is the root directory of the installation.

Backup the original install (after the first use) of the overide directory, baldur.ini, chiten.key and dialog.tlk, dialog.tlk.old, Keymap.ini, keymap1.ini.ToBpatch.backup (if Tob is installed) and BGMain.exe is a good idea as well. (note:-install the bioware and baldurdash patches as well before backing up the files) ps. my backup also includes Detectable_Spells_v1.2.4 and Scriptable_spells mods installed.

When you have mucked things up truily :D not if, but when. Just delete the above files and directory and copy the the backup back in.

For multi-installs just copy everything but those in the backup to a new directory, then the backup. And then edit the baldur.ini HD0 is now the new installation root directory. To start the game create a shortcut on the desktop to the BGMain.exe of the new directory.

I have four installs setup like this each uses different combinations of mods, the registy key are only used by "baldur.exe" which is the start/configureation screen, since you set all that up in the first use of the original installation you won't need it.

#7 Nokao

Nokao
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hi guys ...
Sorry but I have a doubt:

I just installed SoA and ToB and I patched with the official patch (v26498)

After this I readed that I have to "baldurdash" the game, but before this I have to install the old Baldurdash or this Baldurdash-WeiDU comprehends everything ?

I'm following this list:
http://modlist.pocke...x=list&cat_id=8
Should I install them all in that order ?

#8 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Seven years worth of necropost?

No, no "baldurdashing" for you.

#9 Nokao

Nokao
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

Yes I'm a post Divinator ...
... but this thread was sticky and this game will never be forgotten.

#10 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

If you do a little searching, you'd find that Baldurdash is extremely outdated, and we don't use it anymore. You'll want to use the BGII Fixpack over at Gibberlings 3. Also, the modlist is in alphabetical order, not order of installation; for order of installation, you want the Big World Project guide.

#11 Nokao

Nokao
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:05 AM

Thanks, "Big World Project guide" opened a complete new world to me.

IMHO you should update some posts because who googles now for information on how to "upgrade" the game gets stuck in old stuff.

Now I have only 2 problems:
- the game MUST be installed on a certain folder in C:\ (and I have a SSD small drive with no space left for games)
- I still have SoA in my language (Italian) but ToB in English, so after I install ToB I get my dialogues overwritten

So I'm searching an Italian CD of ToB before using Big World.

I'm also so unhappy that I just finished Baldur's Gate 1 with it's mods but the old engine+rules, and I just discovered that Big World could have made this a better experience with new engine+rules.