Photo

Multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:02 AM

Is anybody interested in getting a online multiplayer game going?

http://www.shsforums...33

I think the above idea was dead on arrival, pity.

anyway, i'm at uni so have plenty of time free :blush: I can work on US or UK time :D

Does anybody know of any groups running multiplayer games online?

there are loads of sites for other games such as tribes (bloody mary for anybody who wants to catch a spinfuser disc :devil:), but after 20 minutes of searching i couldn?t find anything. okay so BGII is not newest game on the block but modding communities like this are testament to its popularity, why are there no multiplayer games out there. is running an online game seriously problematic?

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:50 PM

Like I said I would be (Thurs, Fri, Sat), but what is your install? They both need to be the same, I think. Do you have the new BP 1.70?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:29 AM

Like I said I would be (Thurs, Fri, Sat), but what is your install?  They both need to be the same, I think.  Do you have the new BP 1.70?

View Post

Okay that?s two just 4 more needed plus a reserve squad. :Poke:

Good point raised by Chevalier we also need to establish, who is going to be what

The classic 3 fighter types, 1 mage, 1 thief, 1 cleric type or any variartion on this theme is got more chance than a party full of mages and got more chance of making it out of the dungeon.

Any combination would be possible so still plenty of room to play the kit/race you want e.g. a barbarian, archer, kensai, bard, assassin and druid would still work.

The install needs to be simple to cut down on problems
So therefore BP/NEJ/ Deeper Shadows of Amn/Ease/ ItemUpgrade (I?m not stepping foot in watchers keep without it)/Dark Ritual (a cool shop) and I think core rules unless its too easy but with DSoA i doubt it :D

It wouldn?t hurt for everyone?s install to be in exactly the same order as well so i?m probably talking fresh installs all-round.

Some one also needs to explain the multiplayer setup, i.e. i mean there are things like ports and firewalls and other scary stuff like that to overcome. Please don?t let it be me, I?m useless at explaining this kind of thing.

So unless anyone objects i'll take the thief role, i'm flexible so if someone else wants this class i can change. *** wellunhappys assassin sharpens her blades and practices her moves

Edited by wellunhappy, 26 September 2005 - 02:31 AM.

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:58 PM

Well I am game for a Multiplayer of BP. Just do your install and post your weidu.log so we can know exactly how you installed.

#5 Gaias

Gaias
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:00 PM

Well I am game for a Multiplayer of BP. Just do your install and post your weidu.log so we can know exactly how you installed.

View Post

Gah! That was me that posted as a guest. I am definitely up for a MP for the weekend! :clap:

#6 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:19 AM

Good work wellunhappy!

I want to keep this simple. The main reason I want to play Multiplayer is to see how others play the game. I am not sure how much RolePlaying happens on the computer in a Multiplayer game and I do enjoy the RolePlaying in BG. Assassin? Are we going to play a good or evil game?? I normally play a Fighter or Fighter/Mage. Do we need 6, or just 3 or 4 players with some NPC's to get some quests? Lets stay away for NeJ, do we really want to start in the Vale of Shadows? Ease and ItemUpgrade is a must!

I might be able to help with some of the tech questions.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#7 Gaias

Gaias
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

Definitely Item Upgrade and Ease of Use are a must. Well if we are doing the "evil" think I am taking dibs on Necromacer for the caster type. I can roleplay a caster fairly good, though I have never done in a cRPG before, the principle is "roughly" the same. Just waiting on you Wellunhappy as to what build you want to use of BP to get the MP started for the weekend.

PS: Even if we do not go "evil" in this MP I still would like to be the mage type if you peeps do not have a problem with that.

#8 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:08 PM

Mage seems good for me. So we have a fighter, a thief and a mage so far!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#9 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:58 AM

Mage seems good for me.  So we have a fighter, a thief and a mage so far!

View Post

Sorry for delay apparently you do have to work at university it didn?t say that in the brochure, :D anyway this weekend is out of the question next is definitely doable. :cheers:

What I?d like to see is a regular spot every weekend where anybody can log in if there is a free seat. It would work like this:

If we lose jaheria, immy, minscs and keep yoshi and kach. so that TS can be done That would leave 4 pc slots free pre TS and 5 slots free post TS. If we always keep one npc slot free for other quests. That means that anywhere between 1 to 5 online players can join in any given weekend and if a player can?t make it that leaves a free place for someone else to log in.

So yes let?s keep it simple.

BP traditional install not the new weidu versions too buggy
Ease of use (Everything apart from infinite item stacking)
Item upgrade
I want to drop DSoA cos the encounters will have serious lag over net.
Nej is being dropped on account you?re all wimps :lol2:
And if everyone agrees Dark Ritual it?s a cool shop and adds a nice encounter to windspear dungeon.

We need to fix a time Friday and Saturday taking into account US and European times I?m flexible also live in GMT Time zone. :huh:

All that remains is someone needs to very kindly post the procedure for getting BGII online I think I can figure it out but if it?s posted then it?s easier if someone wants to drop into the game.

I hardly ever play evil roles my assassin is good with just a few questionable morals, the only reason I like assassins is HIS, backstab/poison dead Cyclops, HIS, backstab/poison another dead Cyclops, HIS, backstab/poison another dead Cyclops, HIS, backstab/poison dead yet another Cyclops, well you get the picture. But if were going to go with the above plan of keeping yoshi and girlfriend then I?ll switch to barbarian as yoshi is a very good thief.

Just to summarise the very first online BP (to my knowledge) being staged Friday and Saturday 7th & 8th October, time to be determined, we have a:
Thief - Yoshimo
Kensai/mage - kachiko
Wizard - Gaias
Fighter ? Chevalier
Barbarian ? wellunhappy
Druid/cleric - ???????? Unless there is no one interested in which case Jaheria stays

We need a cleric or druid type otherwise is going to be a very short journey. Anyone interested?

#10 Kalindor

Kalindor

Nerd of Lordly Calibur

• 142 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:51 AM

We need a cleric or druid type otherwise is going to be a very short journey. Anyone interested?

Arrrgh... Druid is my favorite class. :wall: Too bad for me that I'm testing BGT WeiDU v4 right now.

#11 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:49 AM

Arrrgh... Druid is my favorite class. :wall: Too bad for me that I'm testing BGT WeiDU v4 right now.

View Post

Okay this is kinda snowballing now and getting a fair bit of interest, the bad news is there no way I can commit to an entire BP/TOB game don?t know how many game hours there is in that or how many weekends that translates into, I would say at least half a year. The good news is the weekends I can?t make it leaves a free slot for another player. :D

The beauty of a regular time for a BP online game is you might find themselves soloing windspear :woot: one weekend and having a full team the next weekend.

Times to be announced this weekend, watch this space. :new_thumbs: If your interested your gonna need a fast connection a 56k modem is just not gonna cut it, we will have slaughtered the orc horde by the time you?ve got you sword out.

:excl: For those that are playing next weekend, I want to have a dress rehearsal on install and connections some time in the next couple of days. To make sure there are no problems i.e. firewalls etc. :excl:

If anyone is still interested please post or pm, if you want to join or have any questions configuring multiplayer and one of us will be able to assist.

Edited by wellunhappy, 30 September 2005 - 05:53 AM.

#12 wellunhappy

wellunhappy
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:21 AM

View Post

Okay this is kinda snowballing now and getting a fair bit of interest, the bad news is there no way I can commit to an entire BP/TOB game don?t know how many game hours there is in that or how many weekends that translates into, I would say at least half a year. The good news is the weekends I can?t make it leaves a free slot for another player. :D

The beauty of a regular time for a BP online game is you might find themselves soloing windspear :woot: one weekend and having a full team the next weekend.

Times to be announced this weekend, watch this space. :new_thumbs: If your interested your gonna need a fast connection a 56k modem is just not gonna cut it, we will have slaughtered the orc horde by the time you?ve got you sword out.

:excl: For those that are playing next weekend, I want to have a dress rehearsal on install and connections some time in the next couple of days. To make sure there are no problems i.e. firewalls etc. :excl:

If anyone is still interested please post or pm, if you want to join or have any questions configuring multiplayer and one of us will be able to assist.

View Post

first of all sorry to the people i let down i can blame alcohol for this, one minute i'm having a sensible conversation next i was square dancing on the black and white tiles in my friends kitchen. :cheers: the result is most of this weekend i've been too ill to turn my pc on. so apology out the way i had a couple of people pm me, please let me know what time/day is good for you time is especially important and which time zone your in, i'm in the sweetest smelling timezone GMT. i tried a test connection and got a firewall problem i think i've sorted it out even though i didn't have a clue what was doing. i#m doing the install now and to keep it simple, i've decided on:

BIG PICTURE --- THE LATEST VERSION BUT NOT WeiDU VERSION
SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH --- ALL COMPONENTS
EASE OF USE --- ALL APPROVED COMPONENTS
ITEM UPGRADE --- SOA AND TOB COMPONENTS

I'LL POST LOG IF IT HELPS BUT I THINK THAT IS FAIRLY STRAIGHT FORWARD.

again sorry for the lost weekend and hopfully people are still interested now i think i'm gonna be violently ill

Edited by wellunhappy, 09 October 2005 - 04:24 AM.