Photo

Incompatable Mod Poll

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a mod that is created to intentionally be incompatable with other mods? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes or No?

1. Yes (8 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. No (28 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

My reaction was more geared to the comparison of Vlad to the bigg in terms of modding philosophy. :) I consider them to be at opposite ends of the spectrum. the bigg cares, and goes to great lengths to prevent incompatibilities through the nature of his approach. Vlad, AFAICT, simply doesn't care and/or considers it a waste of time to bother with compatibility.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#22 Vortex

Vortex
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

At this point i'm strickly a Mod user and compatibility is major for me. I like a huge salad of mods with everything I can possibly fit. I'm not opposed to visiting forums and playing around with files for bug resolution since it's a great way to learn. And that's why I love BP and everything related to it.

so there, my two cents
A book cover is only skin deep. (Harry Crumb)

#23 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

None of your mods concepts terribly appeals to me, and (perhaps more importantly) none of your modders seems competent enough (or mod-polite enough, or both) to have some hope that my gaming build will work without the need of side trips to NI/InfExp/WeiDU/... to fix a bug.

Of course, Sikret doesn't help improve your reputation in my eyes.

The bigg is not alone in his thinking. That's all I'm going to say. :whistling:

Now, wait for it...someone from BWL will have something to say to me, I'm sure. :)

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#24 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

Yes, BWL modders definitely can't compete with the coding excellence shown in the Hip-hop mod.

Leeeet the show begin.
(Opens can of peanuts) :)

#25 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 01:53 AM

Now, wait for it...someone from BWL will have something to say to me, I'm sure. :)

Everyone has the right to their say and their right to reply. Surely you don't disagree? You just exercised that right, nothing wrong with that. Other people have other opinions and if they differ from yours are not wrong just because they reply saying so.

To be honest I am not conerned that you have an issue with BWL, you've had a bad experience there but commenting that someone responding to your post would be somehow wrong/funny is kind of hypocritical as you've just exercised your own right to do exactly the same thing.
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#26 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:31 AM

My reaction was more geared to the comparison of Vlad to the bigg in terms of modding philosophy. :) I consider them to be at opposite ends of the spectrum. the bigg cares, and goes to great lengths to prevent incompatibilities through the nature of his approach. Vlad, AFAICT, simply doesn't care and/or considers it a waste of time to bother with compatibility.

Seanas refers to this

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#27 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:56 AM

I wouldn't play any mod :devil:

Sadly the TOIW/Embers TCs were not finished/published, so i don't play :(

Since you enjoy TCs, did you try Return to Trademeet?

Yes, but the version i tried was hopeless. The only meaningful part to me was the 'movie' and the gui changes.
A TC requires more than a single person, as far as i know RTT was created by a single person.
Apparently a single person is unable to create anything useful.
Yeah, they can create NPC mods, but... bleah :)

Still my hope is in BWL mods, as they actually try to take over bigger projects or try to explore the less known parts of the engine (like new animations, new gui, etc), unlike others.
Avenger

#28 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

To be honest I am not conerned that you have an issue with BWL, you've had a bad experience there but commenting that someone responding to your post would be somehow wrong/funny is kind of hypocritical as you've just exercised your own right to do exactly the same thing.

You put words into my mouth, Rabain; I thought you knew better than that. :) I never said anything about a response from BWL being wrong/funny.

By the way, if anyone cares, my IP is now banned from the BWL forums again. For what? Not sure exactly. I haven't posted anything on that site in eons. I guess some BWL moderator(s) didn't like the fact that I mentioned BWL here on SHS? Oh well, c'est la vie! But if one of the BWL mods wants to tell me why my IP is banned, I would be happy to hear the answer.

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#29 Baronius

Baronius
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

This incompatibility thread, more precisely: its parts regarding Improved Anvil, are now obsolete. As we know, much new information was found out about IA meanwhile, which prove important things. (I recommend it to the attention of those who formed opinion without actually knowing the matter; based on other's comments.)
Law, chaos, mystery... interesting plot and dangerous battles... new enemies - and new friends. -- some new fun in BG1Tutu: In Candlelight