• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

After over two years Josh Clue comes with a new revamped version of his TotSC/TuTu Mod The Vault featuring new items, three new quests, more challenging encounters and lots more!

You can grab it here: http://www.angelfire...eadMe-Vault.htm

#2 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:43 AM

LOL :lol:

I wrote to an author something like two months ago on both his e-mails which I was able to find, asking him if he's planning to update the Vault. After getting no answer I begin to work with The Vault on my own recoding it to make it as compatible with everything out there as possible, fixing everything that was needed fixing along the way. I finished bug-hunting this morning and was planning to begin to work on full compatibility with BGT & TuTu when I saw this topic :doh: :D

Heh, at least, it was an interesting experience anyway :whistling:

Edited by Creepin, 26 April 2006 - 05:48 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#3 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

Creepin,

I am sure that your fixes might still be useful so don't get rid of them. We should see if the new version has corrected. It could be very possible they are still there. I would suggest you to try and make a comparison if you wouldn't mind. Josh Clue has apologized for not being able to answer emails. I have written myself more than once with no luck.

Don't put it down! :cheers:

#4 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:51 AM

We should see if the new version has corrected. It could be very possible they are still there. I would suggest you to try and make a comparison if you wouldn't mind.

Well, I checked new tp2 to see what was improved since v4. I could say nothing about new content, but old content, to my surprise, stays pretty same, including gamebreaking bug, gapes in quest fabric and overall compatibility level little better than that of iap mods, with latter been most disappointing to such a compatibility maniac as I am :(

I am sure that your fixes might still be useful so don't get rid of them.

Certainly I will keep modified version for my own use, it's just that I believe it will be unethical and impolite to publish my version while true author is around and quite capable to work on improving his own mod. Hopefully, v6 will be flawless :)

Edited by Creepin, 27 April 2006 - 01:01 AM.

#5 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:49 AM

Creepin,

would you mind providing me of your fixes so that I can compare myself (despito understanding very little of modding) and perhaps get in touch with Josh Clue himself to inform him ? :)

#6 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:17 AM

Creepin,

would you mind providing me of your fixes so that I can compare myself (despito understanding very little of modding) and perhaps get in touch with Josh Clue himself to inform him ? :)

As much as I'm tempted to keep 'em for myself as my revenge for not having an author's answer and thus wasting my efforts on fixing an old version the very same time when new one was brewing :devil:... *sigh* I guess that greater modding good requires from me an opposite, so... Posted Image

I'm attaching archive with fixed variant (without .exe), grab it and compare yourself. Here's a brief description of most noticeable fixes for your convenience (as I didn't wrote changelog and there's no reason to do it in current circumstances):

Major gamebreaking bug: Demonknight of original v4 was missing quest Soultaker Dagger

Multiple changes to Vestibule quest mechaniks, aimed mainly to close gaps possible if player will choose certain course of action:
- Quest will unfolds now as it should even if you encountered Thaivians before starting it;
- Kelddath will now recognise your deed even if one of vestibule priests was dead in combat (quite possible due to Ranthis' combat script often leading to Bran's death);
- Priests will speak their end-quest lines (thus giving you due reward) even if you didn't speak with them several times in the middle of quest (as there was no hint that you should do so);
- Demons' appearance handling shifted from cre's scripts to area scripts to ensure it will fire as intended (and to decrease pollution of GV list :P).

Compatibility-wise tweaks:
- All filenames and variables renamed in accordance with Filename Prefix Reservations List, for v4 was in potential conflict with like a pair of dozens of already registered prefixes;
- All creature files patched instead of being overwrited;
- All dialogue files patched instead of being overwrited (aiming to patch them in such way as not to pull the plug for other mods possibly modifying the same dialogues);
- All script files patched instead of being overwrited;
- All store files patched instead of being overwrited;
- All components that are traditionally covered by certain mods like XXTweaks and/or could been possibly considered as unwanted by players gets their own optional component for players to install or reject (I was shocked to find out that Vault is installing level40 rules & increased stacks without mentioning it or giving me a chance to refuse, as well as to encounter one certain part of otherwise good mod so terribly fourth-wall-breaking and out-of-character that it alone was able to make null and void all pleasure from the mod :().

Plus some minor typo fixes.

P.S. I also included .xls file in attach, of which first two sheets could be of some interest to check what file- and variable names I renamed.
P.P.S. I tested it with WeiDU v190, though I believe there's nothing in my code that wasn't included at v185.
P.P.P.S. If you find something unclear feel free to ask me in any way - I'll try to help if I can ;)

Attached Files

#7 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:49 AM

Hello, Creepin!

I do understand your annoyance for never having got in touch with the author. Myself have tried to reach him several times in these latest two years untill my most recent email got sent back as the recipient was unknown.

At that time I was sure I'd never hear from him again and instead just the day he released the new Mod, he wrote to me (as he promised two years ago, I must say) to warn me a new version was out! :)

I am sure he'd welcome all your suggestions, Creepin!

I will try and email him this topic so that he might work to include your important changes in a official version!

Good job! :cheers:

#8 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:16 AM

Hello, Creepin!

I do understand your annoyance for never having got in touch with the author. Myself have tried to reach him several times in these latest two years untill my most recent email got sent back as the recipient was unknown.

Sorry, I was just had to tell my "fie!" at some point :)

I will try and email him this topic so that he might work to include your important changes in a official version!

Hey, wait a second! Everything novadays has it's price, and using my code as well. Now, what would it be? I want... no, I need... a, dammit! My price will be keeping JC as an optional component (or, better yet, reworking his terrible out-of-game lines). You see, I really liked The Vault, but when final NPC started talking about computer games, mods and e-mails I felt like slapped in my face :(
Now that being said, feel free to use this code in any way that will benefit the mod :)

Ugh, btw, so you didn't check it yourself? 'tis a pity, I was hoping you'll be able to cath everything that I possibly missed :)

#9 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:56 AM

Well, Creepin, I have never got around to play it, I must confess. I am a bit wary about installing The Vault because there are too many powerful (although very nice) items thrown in which in my opinion might severely unbalance the game.

So I have no idea about this JC character but if he does what you said I would surely feel also slapped twice on my face...

#10 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 01:10 PM

Whichever one of you kind Modding Guru's are able to contact the author and work out how to get the mod working reasonably well on a modern install,

Could you please ask about updating the ReadMe to make sure that the Tutu compatability is clearly indicated? As it is now, the author claims Tutu compatability, but the small print is that it must be installed on Tutu *before* conversion. I thought the mod's ideas were attractive, and simply decided to give away/sell the weapons after I defeated the encounters. I stopped using the mod awhile ago, as even with a correct install order and Tutu v4 conversion, could not complete a game; now I know why.

Macready has put in some fine work on EasyTutu, which by its nature will not accept pre-conversion modifications.

Before the Tutu forums are filled with "it's WeiDU, why won't it work on my Tutu install", it would be great to have clarification on compatability.

#11 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

Unfortunately the authos is "out of range" for us all. He lives (better, works) sort of secluded untill Xmas 2007 ( :blink: ) so he won't bring in any change to the mod nor the readme itself untill then...

#12 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:45 AM

Could you please ask about updating the ReadMe to make sure that the Tutu compatability is clearly indicated? As it is now, the author claims Tutu compatability, but the small print is that it must be installed on Tutu *before* conversion. I thought the mod's ideas were attractive, and simply decided to give away/sell the weapons after I defeated the encounters. I stopped using the mod awhile ago, as even with a correct install order and Tutu v4 conversion, could not complete a game; now I know why.

Actually, there's no TuTu compatibility in the Vault per se. As it utilizes standard area names from vanilla BG it's impossible to install it upon TuTu, thus you had to install it upon BG1 before TuTu'ing. What this thing about compatibility was about is folder named "_bam", which contains new item bams renamed accordingly with TuTu naming convention for you to manually put in TuTu override folder (there's a bug in TuTu, that while it converts content of BG1 override folder mainly correctly it omits custom bams somewhy).

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

After getting no answer I begin to work with The Vault on my own recoding it to make it as compatible with everything out there as possible, fixing everything that was needed fixing along the way. I finished bug-hunting this morning and was planning to begin to work on full compatibility with BGT & TuTu when I saw this topic :doh: :D

Sorry for the minor necropost here, but there's been some interest revived in this recently. Don't know if Creepin or anyone who knows about this is still around, but it sounds like he made a lot of good, sensible fixes.

Speaking theoretically of course, would it be possible to merge the v4r changes with the author's v5 and make a version that's Tutu and/or BGT compatible and somewhat balanced? Due to the author being unavailable from all I've read (and I've tried e-mailing him myself to no avail), I think such an updated would not be unwarranted.

Regards,
-Miloch

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#14 -Zed Nocear-

-Zed Nocear-

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:40 AM

[quote name='Creepin' date='Apr 27 2006, 08:17 AM' post='248908']
[quote]Creepin,

I'm attaching archive with fixed variant (without .exe), grab it and compare yourself. Here's a brief description of most noticeable fixes for your convenience (as I didn't wrote changelog and there's no reason to do it in current circumstances):

Attached File(s)
Vault_v4_Revamped.rar ( 97.57k )
[/quote]

Is it possible to make it also for Vault v5.01? Please :Bow: , please :Bow: , please :Bow:

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

Is it possible to make it also for Vault v5.01?

Creepin was working on the v5 actually after I last posted and said he'd have a progress report after the holidays. I sent him a note to ask how he's doing but haven't heard back yet. :unsure:

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#16 LoneRogue

LoneRogue
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

Howdy all,

Does anyone still have a copy of The Vault earlier than version 4 that you could e-mail me at lonerogue26@yahoo.com . I'm trying to work out some compatibility issues on a mod of my own.

Thank you,
LoneRogue
"I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing..."

Master Gamer (old school)
RPGA & Squadron Member

#17 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

Bleh... this was confusing. There's another post here: http://www.shsforums...&...st&p=304529 that's a little more up to date.

manwe858

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

Well, maybe when you come back 6 months from now, erebusant will have finished it :D.