Photo

Jerkiness

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

I've encountered a problem. I don't know how to explain it without sounding a bit vague.

The game is jerking. I started to notice it around about the Candlekeep catacombs ... it jerks for a split moment every second or so. Looking at the time dowacky at the bottom left, you can clearly see it jerking about instead of tick-tocking smoothly. The game is basically becoming unplayable. The mouse jerks, the characters jerk, the clock jerks. If I pause the game or go into a character window (or inventory), it stops ... but while the game is running, jerkiness.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I've never encountered this problem before, and this is my first time running BG with BGT installed. It's confusing the hell out of me ... the game was fine up until now, then all of a sudden this started. It's not happening in any of my earlier save games. Anyone have any ideas? I can't continue playing otherwise. :unsure:

#2 GekkeR

GekkeR
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 04:12 PM

Start by posting your Weidu.log (you will find it in your Baldurs Gate 2 directory).
That will show what mods you have installed and what could possibly cause it.

#3 zachD

zachD
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

I seem to be encountering something of the same problem, but perhaps not quite as pronounced. Recently installed BP with the three mega mods and I remember it wasnt happening at first, when I started in Irenicus dungeon, only after I have been playing for a while. Same thing there is a slight pause every second or so but it you pause the game via spacebar the jerkiness is gone.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~SETUP-BD-TOB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurdash Fix Pack for ToB, v1.5 WeiDU
~SETUP-BD-TOB.TP2~ #0 #1 // Textupdatepack -> Baldurdash English Text Update Pack for ToB, v1.4 WeiDU
~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadows Over Soubar, v1.11
~SETUP-SOS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Remorhaz walking speed adjustment (for ENGLISH version .EXE ONLY!!!)
~SETUP-TDD.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Darkest Day, v1.11
~SETUP-TS-BP.TP2~ #0 #0 // TORTURED SOULS v6.04.01 (BP Compatible Version)
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #0 // Big Picture AI/Enhancement Mod, version 177 weidu (beta)
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #1 // Improved Suldanessallar
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #2 // Improved Spellhold
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #3 // Wand of Orcus Add-In
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #4 // Improved Small Teeth Pass, by Kensai Ryu
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #6 // Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #8 // Improved Random Encounters, by Gebhard Blucher and Kensai Ryu
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #9 // Gebhard Blucher's Lich in the Docks
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #10 // Red Badge, Poison-Based Encounter, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #12 // The Ritual, by Westley Weimer
~SETUP-BPV177.TP2~ #0 #15 // Ascension for BP
~G3TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #197 // Add Ammo Belts and Potion Cases to SoA
~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Revised worldmap for the Baldur's Gate - including coloured Baldur's Gate map icons -> Installing new Worldmap for use with Mega Modification
~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #2 // Use new worldmap for Throne of Bhaal as well
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-GUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Game Graphical User Interface (GUI) -> "Original SoA/ToB"

#4 pro5

pro5
  • Modder
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

This can be caused by a number of things, from a broken script to having too many items in inventory.

I used to run into this thing often, but it's been gone since I upgraded my PC to Pentium IV.

#5 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:52 AM

the four most likely sources of the infamous stutter bug, in order of likelihood:

1. NPC dialogue not intitiating properly due to mis-set or missing variable. you can identify this one by the fact that one or more NPC will stop (and usually turn towards each other) but the rest of the party will keep going (altho the game will slow to treacle). solution: find the NPCs who are stopping; search their dlg and bcs files for missing variables, correct variable, continue.

2. scripted action not occurring do to mis-set or missing variable. a bit harder to identify: if the stutter starts in a particular area, it's a non-part NPC - hunt down the bug thru cre files and bcs files relevant to the area. if the stutter starts after a certain time and then continues - likely an NPC bug. hunt thru yr modded, in-party NPC bcs files.

3. overstuffed bags of holding. solution: dump all those bloody +1 arrows and sling bullets yr never going to use (nice n easy to fix, this one).

4. overstuffed override folder. this used to be a big problem with BP and BGt installs, but since everything was weidufied and auto-biffing routines included, it's ceased to be an issue. if for some god-forsdaken reason you've managed to get an override folder ~1.5Gb or so, then this might be the problem. the solution is biffing yr override folder yrself: but be aware that's it's frighteningly easy to break yr entire intall by making a mistake in the biffing process and you wont be able to uninstall anything afterwards without a complete reinstall - so only do this a: if you know for sure it's not problems 1-3 and you've got a massive ( >> 1GB) override folder.

you can also try lowering the graphics and audio settings in-game: prior to the weidu versions, i had to run BP at the absolute minimum graphics and audio settings to avoid the stutter.

Edited by seanas, 19 July 2006 - 02:54 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#6 zachD

zachD
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:06 AM

My stutter always starts sometime between after leaving the Irenicus dungeon and the start of chapter two, after Gaelyns dialogue.

Current npcs in party: Yoshimo, Kachiko, and Minsc.

Only thing changing inventory wise during that time is getting a couple scroll cases and putting about 10 scrolls in one.

111 mb in override folder.

How do you search for missing variables?

*edit: actually it doesnt seem to start if I dont buy any containers in Waukeens Promenade - scroll containers/gem cases

Edited by zachD, 19 July 2006 - 05:31 AM.

#7 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:22 AM

Double post ... actual post below.

Attached Files

Edited by Miraz, 19 July 2006 - 03:50 PM.

#8 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

I've eliminated 3 and 4 as possibilities ... I've emptied all my containers to no effect, and my override folder is only 352mb large. I've also tried running on minimal graphics and audio settings. Stutter is still there when I load.

I can't even identify exactly when it started ... it's terrible now in Restenford, it's noticeable in the Candlekeep Catacombs, and in my savegame just before entering the catacombs, it's hard to tell (i.e. not noticeable). Seems to get worse as I go on.

Weidu log attached.

#9 zachD

zachD
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

Aye mine starts out the same way. It is barely perceptable when it first starts, but after zoning over to a new area a couple times/after a bit of progress it continually gets worse. Soon becoming highly annoying.

It my case I think it has something to do with either scroll cases or Minsc. I booted Minsc from group right after leaving Irenicus' dungeon this time and I dont see it happening yet. But I have no scroll cases this time yet either. One gem case atm.

I seem to remember seeing Minsc's um, circle (the red circle around PCs) light up to white without him saying anything last night when I was testing a few things. Think their circles only light up to white when they are supposed to say something.

Also during install I remember seeing this a few times:
A duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found.

Edited by zachD, 19 July 2006 - 08:28 PM.

#10 zachD

zachD
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

Sorry double post...when I hit submit post first time I got cannot find server/page error. :huh:

Edited by zachD, 19 July 2006 - 03:16 PM.

#11 andy d.

andy d.
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:52 PM

Have you guys tried disabling your anti-virus software?
That worked for me
(...and getting rid of all those bagsof holding, scroll cases, gem bags etc.)
Listen to Crass

#12 zachD

zachD
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

Which antivirus were you running?

I did a complete wipe and installed again from scratch today after a couple defrags. It seems to be running smoother, but I am still getting a perceptible stutter after I buy containers off in chap 1 after leaving the Irenicus dungeon. Mind you im only buying like 1-2 scroll cases and one gem case. Nothing else, no other containers in party. The only thing I am putting much in is a scroll case, and its about 10 spells.

If I dont buy the containers in Waukeens Promenade it seems to be fine into chap 2. But now im very leery of putting any containers in group :\

Aint Minsc cause it did it right after I bought containers off Ribald and Minsc wasnt in group. Of course after I buy the first scroll case I stuff a bunch in there.

Got same messages on install about some files being duplicates or not found, one was a YOSHIMOD.2da, and of course Yoshimo is in group.

Last week I was running a basic BGT with BG1 TotSC, SoA, ToB and a couple of other mods and this never happened the entire time.

Just reloaded a couple times to check, seems to start right after I load a bunch of scrolls into first scroll case.

Edited by zachD, 20 July 2006 - 12:39 AM.

#13 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:58 AM

hmm... there is a fifth possibility, but it's usually so ucommon as to be not worth mentioning. it's posible to get the stutter bug if yr BALDUR.BCS file is too large: i remember Horred got hit with this during the early BP-weidu beta testing.

zachD and Miraz, could you tell me the size of yr BALDUR.BCS file? (it's in yr override folder). it's a bit of a longshot, but you never know. mine, for reference purposes, is 162kB.

[edit] oh, and yes: i've always got the anti-virus diabled when i'm playing BP.

the only other thought i've had is: zachD, which mods that alter bags and scroll cases have you installed? have you tried uninstalling them (and then going back to a save before you whichever area yr buying them in)? you might have hit upon a bag-mod incompatiility, rather than a BP problem as such.

Edited by seanas, 20 July 2006 - 02:01 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling

#14 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:18 AM

The baldur.bcs in my override folder is 641kb.

As a point of interest, I have two containers in my party ... a bag of holding and Telvar's spellbook (which is basically just a scrollcase with a fancy name). But I was using them quite happily for ages without any problems occuring, unlike zachD's problem. I aquired both of them back in about Chapter 3 or 4, I think ... and I'm only feeling the stutter bug down here in Chapter 7 and 8. That makes me doubt it's the containers which are causing me problems.

Edited by Miraz, 20 July 2006 - 06:22 AM.

#15 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:19 AM

As a point of interest, I have two containers in my party ... a bag of holding and Telvar's spellbook (which is basically just a scrollcase with a fancy name). But I was using them quite happily for ages without any problems occuring, unlike zachD's problem. I aquired both of them back in about Chapter 3 or 4, I think ... and I'm only feeling the stutter bug down here in Chapter 7 and 8. That makes me doubt it's the containers which are causing me problems.

no, i agree it's not yr containers - but seeing as yr baldur.bcs is 5 times the size of mine, that would be my next guess. god knows what has been added to it and by which mod - do you want to post it (you may need to rename it baldur.txt, i'm not sure if the forum software will let you post .bcs files) and i'll take a look at what has modded it?

horred eventually solved his game lag by editing al lthe cruft out of his baldur.bcs: that might be the solution for you, as well.

#16 Miraz

Miraz
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

Apparently the baldur.bcs file is so big that it would "exceed my per post limit" to attach it here. I've uploaded it to QuickSharing:

Download link:
http://s12.quickshar...baldur.bcs.html

Thanks for taking a look :).

[EDIT] Changed the file hoster to someone who actually works.

Edited by Miraz, 20 July 2006 - 09:34 AM.

#17 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:42 AM

no, i agree it's not yr containers - but seeing as yr baldur.bcs is 5 times the size of mine, that would be my next guess. god knows what has been added to it and by which mod - do you want to post it (you may need to rename it baldur.txt, i'm not sure if the forum software will let you post .bcs files) and i'll take a look at what has modded it?

horred eventually solved his game lag by editing al lthe cruft out of his baldur.bcs: that might be the solution for you, as well.

I've questioned the size of the baldur.bcs file and looked at it as well. If you look in your "over.bak" directories from each of the large mods you can see the size of baldur.bcs growing with each addition. A question I have about baldur.bcs size being an issue, is once you are completed with your install, it typically is as big as it's going to get, so if that was the culprit, wouldn't it be stuttering along from the beginning of your game? Or would it be a global variable that gets toggled that causes a check in the baldur.bcs to become active, that causes the stuttering to begin at a later point in the game?

It takes a village...

#18 zachD

zachD
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

My baldur.bcs file is 368kb.

Last night I disabled my antivirus software and it was actually running a hella lot smoother then usual, just before I shut it off though I bought an extra gem container in Umar Hills and it seemed to start doing it again, even less perceptible then before, will reload it and check again to make sure. But running it without the antivirus on improved performance alot.

I dont think I installed any specific bag mods, I only have the basic SoS1.11, TDD1.11, TS6.04.01 and FR_RoVv3 with BP1.77. Only difference between this install and last one was I put FR on instead of G3tweak pack, but hasnt affected the stutter.

Something is bugged though, I am still getting an impass with 2nd cut scene in Umar Hills Inn with Gaius/Kothonos and party gathered around the table.

Doesnt seem to matter where I buy the containers from either. Last night I played without any containers in group and it worked fine.

Yeah, just reloaded a couple times to check, soon as I put 2 containers on a character it becomes quite noticeable, if I drop em on ground the stutter seems to disappear. I dont even have to have anything in the containers. Testing this with 2 gem bags atm. With one gem bag the stutter is almost imperceptible.

Think it would fubar my install if I remove SoS?

Attached Files

Edited by zachD, 20 July 2006 - 12:55 PM.

#19 zachD

zachD
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

Hm. Also, last week while running BGT I had the Thalantyr mod installed and bought every available container I could find. So main pc had like 2 bags of holding and at least 1 gem bag and 1 scroll case at all times. Usually all near full capacity. Never had any stutter.

Incidently im still using the same main characters on my current BP install that I developed during the old BGT install. Copied the char files to another folder between installs and back into the new install, did that a number of times between successive re-installs before I got everything working properly, so im hoping thats not the problem, as I wanted to keep those chars.

Off to play with no containers for a while! Should make things more interesting...

#20 andy d.

andy d.
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

Off to play with no containers for a while! Should make things more interesting...

I ditched all my bags...made life simpler...it's just material items...besides, possession is theft.
(also- I have about 750000 gps, and I'm armed to the teeth, how much crap do you need, and...aren't Bags of Holding and the like crappy cop-out 2nd or 3rd Edition items anyway?)

(BTW: I'm using eTrust AV, I'm pissed off as it was the last thing I tried and beforehand I went and biffed my DsotSC/NTotSc files and I was trying to avoid biffing...so now I've opened that whole can of worms...)
Listen to Crass