Worgas the NPC and his prettie Eyeball

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:57 AM

Hi,

I am developing a NPC for BG2 named Worgas. He is a Wildmage elf and journeys with as he call it a pretty levitating eyeball with many eyes on it (a gauth that is).

Worgas bio: Worgas the elf holds a corrupted mind springed from his deep nosing around in the ancient lore of magic.
Even though he has a high intelligence the corruption of his mind has blocked all the common sences.
His low mumbling riddle talk can in a second turn into screaming insanity and rage. No one really knows what he has
been exposed to. (It will be enlightened in the mod, no spoilers here though :P )

Progress so far: Weiduing completed to the state where he can join your party, be kicked out and rejoin, also completed the joining of his familiar gauth.

He has a personal item that is a ring he always tend to stare at with a horrific facial expression. One personal ability, Wail of Insanity.

Attached Images

• Worgas01.jpg
  • Worgas02.jpg
  • Worgas03.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 05 April 2007 - 11:32 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#2 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:17 AM

This is different... O.o ^.^

(I suppose I'll have to find another name for one of the non-joinable NPC abilities I had in mind. Meh, "Blood Frenzy" didn't necessarily fit the character anyway... x.x)

One thing: If he's insane, shouldn't both his WIS and CHA be considerably lower (Minsc comes to mind, and he's mostly coherent. [EDIT]Xzar, bizarrely, has WIS 16 and CHA 10. Hmm. The way you describe the character a lower CHA would probably be in order, but I suppose the WIS should be all right; "lunatic's insight" and all that x.x) Hehe, and now I'm just imagining the crossmod banter, Arkalian trying to pry secrets out of him and then sifting through the verbal debris for an occasional salvageable chunk. Keep in mind, though, that this character is going to need a convincing reason to join the party, and <CHARNAME> will need a convincing reason to let him.

Edited by Azkyroth, 02 April 2007 - 03:30 AM.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#3 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:41 AM

This is different... O.o ^.^

(I suppose I'll have to find another name for one of the non-joinable NPC abilities I had in mind. Meh, "Blood Frenzy" didn't necessarily fit the character anyway... x.x)

One thing: If he's insane, shouldn't both his WIS and CHA be considerably lower (Minsc comes to mind, and he's mostly coherent. [EDIT]Xzar, bizarrely, has WIS 16 and CHA 10. Hmm. The way you describe the character a lower CHA would probably be in order, but I suppose the WIS should be all right; "lunatic's insight" and all that x.x) Hehe, and now I'm just imagining the crossmod banter, Arkalian trying to pry secrets out of him and then sifting through the verbal debris for an occasional salvageable chunk. Keep in mind, though, that this character is going to need a convincing reason to join the party, and <CHARNAME> will need a convincing reason to let him.

Aye you are right by lowering the CHA and WIS. And the reason why joining in the party so far is due to he is also imprisoned in one of the cages in the beginning of the game. Dont want to spoil how Worgas ended up in Irenicus dungeon though ;) He asks the protagonist if he has seen a levitating eyeball.

By releasing him he offers his service to the protagonist but then again, is he an aid or just a chaotic add in the way of the protagonist journey? Worgas is rather chaotic and weird things donīt just happen rarely when he uses his magics. This wildmage is wilder than the common wildmage.

Edited by flysoup, 04 April 2007 - 03:08 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#4 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:54 AM

Worgas new stats: (Mayhaps should I lower the dexterity also to 11 or 10? Even though he is a elf he hasnīt exactly dedicated himself to uphold the dexterity.)

Again feel free to share all your ideas.

Attached Images

• Worgas_New.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 02 April 2007 - 04:53 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#5 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

Worgas new stats: (Mayhaps should I lower the dexterity also to 11 or 10? Even though he is a elf he hasnīt exactly dedicated himself to uphold the dexterity.)

Again feel free to share all your ideas.

Dex is fine; you don't want to nerf the character completely. Besides, if his magic is as chaotic as you say and he's still alive, he must have gotten pretty good at dodging stray lightning bolts.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#6 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:11 AM

Hehe true fact that his dodging skills is a must for his survival. I recently removed his Blood Frenzy since you said earlier that you had such an ability in minds. Also lowered Worgas strength to 8. The reason for Worgas lower strength and constitution is that all the wild energy that surrounds him drains his health.

minor SPOILER coming about Zarix (Worgas gauth familiar) skills:

Zarix can remove his eyballs to scout the area with and his offensive abilitys is one bolt of magic missile. He always aims at the closest enemy of his master Worgas the mad elf.

Edited by flysoup, 03 April 2007 - 02:17 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#7 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

Progress report:

Worgas and Zarix completed and functional in the game.

Have now started Worgas interjections.

Latest Progress report:
Completed Worgas Cutscene and his Epilogue, both tested and working in game.

So the thing left before a release is interjections and other happenings involving Worgas storyline.

Good speed,
flysoup

Edited by flysoup, 16 April 2007 - 11:40 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#8 minotaur_in_maze

minotaur_in_maze

Modding Prima-Dona

• 906 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

I like the concept and I LOVE the picture!

How did you get the companion to work (Familiar?)

Does it go in inventory sometimes too?

REALLY want to play THIS one!
They say the world is going to Hell.

They are wrong.

The world IS Hell! Always has been, always will be; except perhaps for the five percent or so of the population who can afford differently.

And, if one must reside in Hell, it is far better to do it as a minion of the Devil than as a member of the damned.
LOVE SUCKS: It makes fools and slaves of us all.
But being alone and unloved is worse.
- Nancy A. Collins "Thin Walls"

#9 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

Hehe true fact that his dodging skills is a must for his survival. I recently removed his Blood Frenzy since you said earlier that you had such an ability in minds.

No need for that; it was a working title for an ability usable by a non-joinable character, similar to Whirlwind. A different name would probably be called for at some point anyway, so feel free to use it.

The reason for Worgas lower strength and constitution is that all the wild energy that surrounds him drains his health.

On the constitution, it sounds like he probably wouldn't sleep real soundly, either; there's another reason for it that you might want to touch on in the description (sleep deprivation has a deleterious effect on health, especially long-term).

#10 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

I like the concept and I LOVE the picture!

How did you get the companion to work (Familiar?)

Does it go in inventory sometimes too?

REALLY want to play THIS one!

For the companion to work I used the same code as in many other mods that uses following companions that aint in the party.

I think it is used in mods like the one when you can have a dog and the Azure mod with her wolf companion and so on.

Zarix is Worgas familiar and it will defend him as a priority, but it canīt be put into Worgas inventory since it is a gauth and far to big for that. Zarix follows Worgas wherever he goes.

Having Worgas in your party will have consequences due to his past but no more spoilers given away here :P

I am in the work with scripting and interjections.

Best regards,
flysoup

Edited by flysoup, 06 April 2007 - 03:09 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#11 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

Latest News:

Completed more cutsceenes based on Worgas storyline.

Edited by flysoup, 09 April 2007 - 04:00 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#12 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hi again,

Thinking of adding new abilitys to Worgas familiar Gauth when ToB starts, we will see what I decide to do.

Edited by flysoup, 09 April 2007 - 04:02 PM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#13 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:10 AM

Thought I could share a little bit more info about Worgas as a party member.

!Donīt read if minor spoilers bugs you!

Worgas has a really unstable mind and his recent occupation havenīt made it better (you will find out more about this in the game)
So unexpected things can happen when having him in the party. The party leader will have a hard time to foretell what is going to happen next. And the leadership will at some points be neglected upon by Worgas when he is in his psycotic neurosis.

Still when Worgas is not in his unstable personality and more awake he can be of great aid in riddles and puzzles though not always will he aid in this. Since he sometimes is in his depressed mood and doesnīt speak at all.

When it comes to his magics caution should be used.

Good speed,
flysoup
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#14 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:52 PM

That's not a spoiler ^.^

And why is my mental concept of his dialogue sounding a lot like Dev/Null in V:TMR? O.o

Suggestion: Make one of his battle cries "EYE CHEWS YOU!!!"

Have I mentioned I'm looking forward to crossmod banter?

[EDIT]Another suggestion :D

Incidentally, it occurs to me that with judicious use of pseudorandom number generators you could add a LOT of replayability with this NPC without making it contrived.

Edited by Azkyroth, 13 April 2007 - 10:20 PM.

#15 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

That's not a spoiler ^.^

And why is my mental concept of his dialogue sounding a lot like Dev/Null in V:TMR? O.o

Suggestion: Make one of his battle cries "EYE CHEWS YOU!!!"

Have I mentioned I'm looking forward to crossmod banter?

[EDIT]Another suggestion :D

Incidentally, it occurs to me that with judicious use of pseudorandom number generators you could add a LOT of replayability with this NPC without making it contrived.

Very good suggestions to be inspired from. I will head into the ability making mayhaps with some modifications. And for Worgas voicepacks I have used excisting sounds. No major spoiler but he is suffering from personality splittings and can also imitate voices from the characters he meet up with.

But I am thinking of adding his own soundset now with your suggested battlecry :)

And I will look into number generators (should have thought about this :/ )

Many thanks for the feedback,

flysoup
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#16 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:05 PM

And I will look into number generators (should have thought about this :/ )

What I was specifically thinkign about was coupling how he would react in certain situations to the value of a variable that's determined in a more or less random fashion (there's a way to do this in the game, though I forget how it works). Hence, he might react in different ways in the same dialogue on different playthroughs.

#17 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

Small teaser spoiler of a silly banter. Many Interjections and cutscenes done and banters started out.
Also made an option for the player to install the cloak of mirroring SoA style. Zarix the gauth will improve his offensive attacks when ToB starts.

The Worgas NPC will need a ToB install and a new SoA start since he emerged in the beginning.

Attached Images

• Baldr004.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 16 April 2007 - 01:49 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#18 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:08 PM

Medium game SPOILER of an interjection.

Attached Images

• Baldr005.jpg

Edited by flysoup, 16 April 2007 - 01:48 AM.

"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#19 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

Nice. ^.^ (Though I would politely suggest co-producing this with someone whose first language is English).

#20 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

Nice. ^.^ (Though I would politely suggest co-producing this with someone whose first language is English).

Aye my english aint of the greatest when it comes to spelling. So if you know wnyone or if anyone reads this then I would gladly accept aid.

Also sugestions for banters from thoose that knows the npcs both joinable and not joinable personalitys.

Have been modding until early morning hours now.....bleeding eyes.

Must finnish the first verision soon or else it is good bye to social life...

So I will head into some more banters and interjections then the first beta will be released.
"Chef of Goblin Pies"