• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

As I write and code Darian, the mod npc I'm working on, I've found that I enjoy writing the occasional bit of fanfic for him, and have decided to post the existing short stories here, as will I post any future ones I write. These short stories all take place within the same party/timeline and are generally from Darian's point of view, though some may also use another character's point of view. More information on who he is can be found here, and I am going to carefully avoid giving away spoilers of Darian's SoA and ToB content. In addition, the Bhaalspawn in question for these is a neutral good human kensai named Julia.

Table of Contents

Untitled #1 (This post)
Untitled #2 (This post)
Decision (This post)
Interbellum (This post)
Battle
Talon
Storm
Confluence
Mirror
Depths
Shadows
Beginning
Divergence
Deepening
Requiem/Revelation
Apotheosis
Looking-Glass

Note: Chronological order:
Talon
Beginning
Apotheosis
Untitled #1
Shadows
Untitled #2
Storm
Depths
Interbellum
Decision
Deepening
Battle
Mirror
Confluence
Looking-Glass
Divergence]
Requiem/Revelation

Untitled
Time: Sometime during Chapter 2/3
Perspective: Nalia

The meal hall of De?Arnise Keep was a riot of activity, as usual, I saw. Julia was seated at the head of the table of course, being the lady of the keep, with Minsc at her right. They were arguing loudly over something, and I noticed Boo scurrying around the table, regarded alternately with affection and distaste.

?Good morning? a calm, precise voice said behind me.

?Good morning.? I responded. I didn?t need to turn around to know it was Darian. At least he deigned to acknowledge my existence now-when we first ran into each other, he sized me up with that piercing gaze of his, evaluating whether I was a threat or not, and never said a word. He would have fit in very well with the Roenalls.

Darian swiftly moved past me, his icy appearance a perfect match for his demeanor. Julia said he was slowly getting used to me and the other members of the party, but I wasn?t so sure. Even if that peculiar bard, Haer?Darlis, had managed to exchange civil words with him, I still didn?t trust the Avariel. He had a truly unsettling ability to pick up on subtle things, and very little escaped him. It was as though he was expecting an attack from any of us at any time, and I wasn?t so sure if he wasn?t planning an attack of his own.

But there were more important things to worry about than Darian. And who knows, maybe Julia was right about him, and that he would change?

Untitled
Time: Chapter 6, soon after returning to the surface
Perspective: Darian

The clang of the morning bell woke me from my rest. It had been peaceful, quite the opposite of my waking hours ever since I had boarded that dingy sailing ship to Spellhold, which felt like a lifetime ago... However, I reluctantly pulled myself back towards full consciousness, and recalled my surroundings. Julia had chosen for the group to stop at a structure called the ?Mithrest Inn? as a way to relax from all that we had endured in the Underdark. It was small and cramped, but better than many human structures.

I fully stood and stretched, blessing Aerdrie Faeyna that the inn had rooms large enough for me to fully stretch my wings in the morning, something few inns allowed me to. My ears picked up the sounds of someone going down the hallway to the common room for the morning meal-Imoen, probably, based on the light, quick stride the boots made. No matter. I quickly donned the suit of elven chain mail we had obtained-the styling was characteristic of the sylvan elves rather than my own people, but it was serviceable enough, and also took my short sword. As much as Julia poked fun at it, I was not going to let myself be caught completely unarmed by any trouble.

I then recast the invisibility wards on my wings, folded them against my back, and went downstairs. As usual, the inn was a riot of activity. Unconsciously, I reached for my blade before I smiled to myself. I still, to some degree, instinctively thought of humans as my enemies, despite everything Julia had taught me.

?Hey, look who finally decided to wake up!? came a voice from behind me.

I instinctively turned around, sword at the ready for the ambush before I saw it was just Imoen, guffawing loudly. I sighed? that little imp missed no opportunity to tease me. At least this time she had the decency to not mention the? relationship between her elder sister and I.

?And good morning to you, too, Darian.? Came a clear, strong voice. I turned back around and saw Julia herself, leaning against the wall, a smile on her radiant face.

?Honestly, Julia? can?t you exercise some measure of restraint on her?? I asked, the words of common still managing to sound harsh, guttural to my ears.

?Even if I could, do you really think I would want to?? She shot back. I had no answer for that response, and she knew it, judging by the triumphant smirk on her face. Aerdrie damn the woman. Damn her for being so infuriating. Damn her for being impossible to predict. And most of all, damn her for the feelings she and I both knew I had for her?

Decision
Time: Begins roughly eight days after the end of Shadows of Amn, ends another six days later.

As Darian soared over the mountains, the seemingly placid warrior was in turmoil. Finding a heading that would take him straight back to Suldanesselar as the Avariel flew, he fought a battle within. Having returned home to Myrrhavin to present his report on the war in Amn, he had received new orders.

His orders were explicit, and left no room for interpretation. ?The children of Bhaal are a danger to all the Realms, Talon. They bring death and destruction wherever they tread, and this cannot be allowed. You are our best chance at ending these two before they can spread death any further.? The general?s words echoed in his mind. ?Eliminate the children of Bhaal known as Julia and Imoen at all costs.?

He hadn?t seen Julia in over two weeks, since he left Suldanesselar. But he had never been able to escape her-she occupied his every thought, tainted every emotion. She left a hole in him he had not known existed. He missed her, dearly. Her long, fiery hair. Her sparkling green eyes. Her small, wiry body.

Duty demanded he follow his orders.
Love demanded he follow his heart.

Darian had never forsaken his duty before-had followed Julia into Hell itself to protect others. The general had placed her faith in Darian. Father?s pride at what his son had accomplished burned in his memory. The awe with which his sister regarded his tales of the battles he had fought at Julia?s side warmed his heart.

But without Julia, did any of it matter?

He flew on, high above the clouds. For good or ill, the time was fast approaching when he would have to make a choice. He had lived a life in service to Myrrhavin, a life that only continued to bring him pride. It would be the height of madness to throw it away. But a new life beckoned. A life at the side of a human who so frequently confused and infuriated him. A life at the side of a woman who occupied a very special place in his heart, a place he had not known was empty until he met her.

The terrain was starting to become familiar-he was approaching Suldanesselar. He changed the angle of his wings, starting a gradual descent. From his backpack, he withdrew and placed around his waist a girdle of giant strength. He would need it for what was to come.

Suldanesselar was still in ruins-the elves loved their city, but they could only do so much in two weeks. Darian?s keen eyes picked out Julia?s familiar figure as she stood in a courtyard, and his heart tore asunder. But he knew what he had to do, and angled his wings, beginning a steep and swift dive.

Julia had barely noticed him in time to turn around when he caught her, holding tight as he returned to the skies. She screamed in surprise, but then laughed. Darian pushed that aside. He could not risk it. But then she whispered.

?It is good to see you again, melamin.? She said, a slight giggle behind her words.

To hear that word, the elven word that meant ?my love? was more than he could bear. He laughed, and descended back to the courtyard.

?Nice one, Darian. I always knew you had a flair for the dramatic.? Imoen said, a mischievous grin on her impish face.

?Boo was very worried you might drop Julia. Rarely has he been more pleased to be wrong.? Minsc shouted, and ran up to Darian to slap him on the back with rib-breaking force.

?I see the Avariel take the idea of sweeping a lady off her feet to an entirely different level.? This was Nalia, with a bemused expression.

?It is good that you have returned to us without causing Julia undue harm.? Jaheira responded, her expression unreadable.

Darian could not turn away from his comrades? his friends. He laughed and joined them for the mid-day meal, informing them that his superiors were pleased with his performance, and that he was free to travel with them as long as he liked-a freedom he would enjoy. Of his other orders, he said nothing.

Later that night, he rose from bed, careful not to disturb Julia?s slumbering form. He took a candle and strode to the balcony from the room they were granted, looking out over the sleeping city. Taking a long look back at Julia, he removed the sealed envelope that bore his orders, and brought them to the candle.

He scattered the ashes to the winds.

Interbellum
Time: About six days after the end of Shadows of Amn-ends immediately before the beginning of the above story, Decision.

?You did what??

?We attacked, sir. The dragon was guarding the goblet of life, one of the items we needed to end the siege. And we were fairly experienced at killing dragons.?

?By the goddess, Darian? I shudder to think what would have happened if you were wrong.?

?But we weren?t.?

When I had returned to Myrrhavin to present my report, I hadn?t imagined I would be debriefed by the general herself, recounting the details of my assignment to Athkatla, which had, obviously, gone horribly awry. It was indeed a long story, and already the day?s light was beginning to fade. However, I had a feeling the general was just about through with her questions.

?You are either very lucky, or very blessed, Talon. One final question: ultimately, what are your assessments of the others who fought with you, and do they represent a threat to Myrrhavin??

?Minsc, for one, is no threat. He has taken one too many blows to the head over the years, and has a rather simplistic mind. He is very dangerous when his anger is aroused, but it is also easy to mislead and misdirect him.

Jaheira is a very dangerous foe as well-she is a powerful druidess, and has endured many harrowing battles. However, her devotion to the balance of nature mitigates against her as a threat.

Nalia is of little consequence. While she possesses great power as a mage, she is also obsessed with her personal quest in life-a quest I never fully understood, but had something to do with improving the situations of the lower classes in human society. As long as we do nothing to interfere with that quest of hers, she may be safely ignored.

Imoen, on the other hand, is an old delayed blast fireball, growing more unstable by the day. Thus far, she has managed to keep her divine blood tightly under control, and has shown little in the way of ill effects from it. This worries me-there is no telling what will push her over the edge, and as she lacks the experience in dealing with the blood that her sister has, it is impossible to predict what will happen. I believe that with Julia present, the likelihood of Imoen losing herself is minimal, but her divine soul cannot be predicted.?

?And what of this ?Julia?, the nominal leader of the band??

?As I have said, she is a follower of an ancient human style of fighting known as the kensai-she fights completely unarmored, seeking to obtain absolute perfection with her weapons. She wields a warhammer and a long sword with the greatest weapons skills I have ever seen. She is also a devoted follower of Lliira-?

?The human goddess of joy, who shares the winged mother?s home plane of Arvandor??

?The same-and don?t ask me why a human warrior would worship such a goddess, I could never really understand her-and she takes her faith as seriously as any Avariel. She is also a person of immense strength of character and soul, to have endured all she has?? I continued to explain for the next few minutes, though I did leave out a few select details. I said nothing of the feelings she and I had for each other, of the gentle night we had shared together, or of the words, spoken and unspoken, that had passed between us.

?General, as long as Myrrhavin remains hidden and does not provoke their attention, they are not a threat. However, I request dispensation to rejoin them in Suldanesselar-they trust me, and we must keep a close eye on what is happening. I already told you of the prophecies of Alaundo, as recounted to me, and I believe them to be a very real threat.?

?We will consider it, as will we consider your actions. You have done many questionable things and raised a great many questions. We will send for you when we are finished. You are dismissed.?

Glad to be finished with the general?s debriefing, I rose from my chair and went into the city. It had been some time since I had last been in Myrrhavin, and it was good to be among my own people again. I soared down the long avenues, over the great statues and works of art. Something was amiss. Once I had seen it all as the epitome of good, all that was and ever could be right in the world. But now I saw it for what it was-a force of good, certainly, but also limited in its way. I had learned much during my travels, including a great many things I probably should have ignored, but could not.

I eventually made my way to the great library of the city, smiling at all the tomes of collected knowledge. But I noticed the sound of someone landing behind me. I turned, and I saw a man, his features once strong, but weathered by age and battle. He was possessed of a powerful frame, for an Avariel, though by human standards he was still slender and frail.

?Welcome home, my son.?

?It is good to have returned, Father.?

We embraced each other, something that we had not done since before I joined the Talons.

?I was listening to your debriefing, son. You have certainly led an interesting life, these past few months.?

?I did what I had to.?

?You did not tell the general everything.? It was not a question.

?No, I did not?? I said slowly, wondering what his reaction would be.

?I hope you know what you?re doing, my son. Falling in love with a human is a dangerous choice-you know well what it could mean. Even if you succeed in somehow overcoming her divine blood, she is still going to be fortunate to still live half a century from now, while you have two or more centuries ahead of you, assuming you don?t fall in battle against the enemies she seems to attract.?

?I know. I? I didn?t exactly plan on falling in love.?

He gave me a knowing smile. ?I know well what that is like-your mother caught me entirely by surprise as well. But tell me more about her.?

?I don?t even know where to begin, really. She is a person of immense strength, who has endured horrors that no one should have faced. But somehow, she maintains her joy and her happiness, and so much more. All I can truly say is: I love her.?

?She sounds like a wonderful person. Someday, we?ll have to meet her.?

?Meet her? She is a human-you know that?s not exactly expected behavior of a Talon.?

?No, but my son, if she is the woman you love, then she is a person worth meeting.?

?Assuming I am not dismissed from the Talons for what I have done.?

?Dismissed? Darian, are you blind? How many Avariel in the last three hundred years can you name who have fought a mature dragon, and lived? Let alone three dragons altogether, as well as beholders, mind flayers, demons, elementals, legions of undead, and an entire army of a race of evil elves! Darian, they could not dismiss you even if you had a child with that woman-you have faced evils beyond comprehension to most, and come up standing- a hero by any measure! Do you have any idea how proud I am to be your father right now??

His words filled me. Ever since I was a child, I had strove to make my father proud. But that also carried a note of bitter sadness as I thought of my friends. Julia and Imoen lost their foster fathers, and their true father didn?t bear thinking about. All they had left in the world were each other. Minsc lost the woman he was sworn to protect. Jaheira lost her husband. Nalia lost her father. I was the only one with a family that was still whole, a family that still loved me.

?Darian, come home tonight, rather than your quarters in the Talon Hall. Your mother?s been desperately worried about you, and I?m sure your sister would love hearing your tales.?

====================

?Actually, Lindor, as we descended the steps to the dungeon, we saw that Firkraag wasn?t just some mage as we had thought-he was a fully grown red dragon.?-Lindor gasped-?After some boring explanation for why he was tormenting us, we all agreed-we were going to destroy this monster and end his reign of terror, and we attacked. Firkraag was easily the most terrifying creature I had ever faced-his wings would have blotted out the sun, and his flaming breath could have melted stone. As we fought, even our strongest attacks seemed to glance off his scales, and things looked grim.?

?But how did you survive??

?Nalia saved the day, actually. As Firkraag prepared to unleash another breath attack, she shot an arrow inside his open mouth and hit his throat. It didn?t actually do much harm to him, but while he recoiled, it gave Julia the opening she needed. She darted under his flailing claw and drove her blade into a tear in his armor Minsc had created earlier. It struck home, piercing his scales and tearing into the dragon?s belly. With the foul wyrm?s gut exposed, we focused all of our attacks onto that spot, firing arrow after arrow and slashing blades at it. The beast reeled, but it was mortally wounded. As it died, I still could not believe we had just slain a dragon, one of the mightiest foes in the land.?

Lindor cheered at me. It was good to be reunited with my family again, even though I knew it was but a short reunion. I had never been able to escape Julia-I still missed her dearly. Love was indeed a powerful thing, I had learned.

My father then came in, bearing parchments that contained my orders.

?Darian, you have been granted dispensation to rejoin your allies for however long you see fit.? He smiled as he handed the orders to me. ?The general has requested to see you again, however, for something she would not tell me. But my son, wherever you go, let the world know the Menel?Quessir live yet!?

================

After receiving my other orders, I returned one last time to my family, and bid them all a loving farewell. I took up my equipment once again, and leaped into the air to return to Suldanesselar, despite the turmoil in my heart over my final set of orders.

Three Avariel watched him leave-an old warrior, worn and weathered by a century of battle; a woman of faded beauty wearing robes inscribed with arcane symbols, and a female, of that awkward age where she was no longer a girl, and not yet a woman. The older woman spoke:

?He?s not coming back, is he??

?No, dear. His fate lies elsewhere. You should be proud of our son.?

?I am. But I?m also worried about him. He loves a human, and a daughter of the dead human god of murder at that. He?s giving up everything to be with her, and that may even include his life.?

?Yes, but you know there was nothing we could have done to convince him otherwise-he does take after you in some respects.?

The woman smiled, then the girl spoke.

?Why is Darian leaving? I loved his stories-why didn?t he stay??

?That is not an easy question to answer, my songbird. Your brother is a great man, and such people are driven to do great things, often in the company of other great men and women. Wherever he goes with his friends, the Realms will never be the same.?

The woman spoke one last time.

?But what price must he pay for it??

?I do not know. Trust in the goddess, my dear.?

The family remained at the battlement until they could no longer see their errant son, then returned to their home. A great destiny awaited their son, a destiny forever intertwined with that of a woman whose destiny was greater still.

Edited by Tempest, 22 July 2007 - 06:12 PM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

Battle
Time: Roughly one week into the events of Throne of Bhaal
Perspective: Julia, Child of Bhaal

What had happened was plain to see.

Even from this distance, she knew Saradush has been destroyed, all inhabitants dead or dying. The death caused by Sarevok had indeed been but the first few drops in what was now a raging storm that was laying waste to Faerun. Looking back at her companions, she nodded. It was a grim action. She withdrew her weapons, and noted that her friends did the same. A mechanical click informed them that her lover and dear friend had loaded his crossbow.

?Darian, Jaheira, you?ve got the best eyes of anyone here. Can you see any survivors??

?No. But a large mass of uniformed troops are heading in our direction, reinforced by fire giants.?

?It must be Yaga-Shura?s army. Even if there are no survivors from Saradush, we must stop him before he can cause any more death. We?re badly outnumbered, but I think Yaga-Shura will want to deal with us personally. There?s a stone bridge up ahead-we?ll make our stand there.?

They quickly made their way to the bridge, and crossed it. Imoen, Nalia, and Darian took up positions to the rear. The two archmages quickly prepared the regents for the arsenal of spells the situation would demand, while the Avariel swept his keen gaze over the advancing ranks of the enemy, searching for officers, mages, and other priority targets. Julia, Minsc, Sarevok, and Jaheira took the lead, weapons at the ready. She muttered a soft, fervent prayer to Lliira that this place would one day know happiness once again, and behind her she heard her companions do the same to whatever deities they worshipped-she even caught Imoen whispering Oghma?s name. The odds were against them.

A particularly massive fire giant strode towards them, clad head to toe in enough plate mail to construct a small building. But Julia recognized the particular fire in his eyes. This was her brother.

?What a disappointment you created for me, worm! I redoubled our efforts to crush this worthless town when I heard you were within, the Terror of the Sword Coast? only to find you gone! I thought I would have to content myself with slaughtering all the weakling Bhaalspawn in the city and forgetting about you. But here you are! Hahahaha! I should have been the first sent after you, and now I shall prove it! Yaga-Shura shall become greater still!?

With those final words, the battle commenced. Julia charged headlong into the ranks of the enemy, easily dancing around the blades of two footmen and dispatching one with a rising slash of her sword that opened him from groin to ribcage, and swung her hammer into the other?s torso, feeling steel, flesh, and bone giving way. The air stank of arcane energy as Imoen and Nalia loosed their magic and a bolt whistled through her hair as Darian picked off another soldier. Her brother and Minsc both laughed maniacally as they drove into the fight.

Ducking a jagged fork of lightning from the wizard, she brought her blade around. The battle wizard had shielded himself against attack, but her powerfully enchanted blade cut through his spell and his neck with ease. Suddenly she noticed Yaga-Shura himself was near. Hoping the spell that old witch had performed had worked, she dove forward and drove her sword into the giant?s armored leg with all the force she could muster. She was rewarded with a roar of pain.

?What??! No! No, this cannot be! I? I am wounded! Yaga-Shura cannot be defeated! Men? men destroy them! Rip the hearts from their chests and make them suffer! I will return with reinforcements!?

The giant lumbered backwards, but Julia restrained herself from pursuing him too far. She looked around-the battle was still going strong, and there was no need to complicate the situation. She saw an assassin suddenly appear behind Nalia and drive his blade into her back. She cried with pain, and Julia threw Crom Faeyr with all her fury. The massive hammer struck with enough force to shatter the man?s skull. As she rushed over, she picked the hammer back up and tossed Nalia a healing potion. Without even pausing to thank her, the noblewoman rapidly drained the contents of the bottle, and they both returned to the fray.

The ranks of the enemy were beginning to thin when she heard Darian yell. ?Julia, Yaga-Shura is back with a vanguard of elite troops! They?ll be here at any moment!? She took a quick look, and sure enough, the armored giant was lumbering towards them once again, leading a large group of soldiers and wizards, all bearing what even from this distance looked to be magical arms and armor. Julia and her friends were badly outmatched.

?Fall back to the bridge!? she yelled.

Imoen soon completed the motions for a cloudkill spell, the billowing vapors buying time for Julia to drag Minsc back to the bridge. The mighty berserker had been badly injured, and Jaheira quickly applied a healing spell. Sarevok also reluctantly retreated, having torn a man in two with his great halberd. Julia quickly evaluated the situation. It was not good. They were all injured to some degree, and their faces were weary and blooded. Imoen, Nalia, and Jaheira had depleted most of their spells, and Darian was running dangerously low on ammunition for his crossbow. But she knew what they had to do.

?We make our stand here. Imoen, Jaheira, Nalia-the gloves are off. Unleash as much destruction as you can, and to hell with not damaging anything-there?s nothing left to damage. Darian, kill any spellcasters you see. Minsc, Sarevok, and I will hold them at the bridge-?

?You? you have weakened me! You and that foul witch, I know it! NO MATTER! YAGA-SHURA WILL DEFEAT YOU YET! RAAAAUUGGH!?

The giant roared with an unholy fury, a fury that resonated within Julia-it was the fury of Bhaal?s blood. The weary adventurers turned back, and the battle began anew.

As Julia charged, Imoen and Nalia both completed the complex incantations for meteor swarms, and the battlefield became a scene out of Hell. Fire rained from the sky, and once struck a fire giant as Julia attacked, showering her with gore. Letting her conscious mind be subsumed by the essence of the moment, she let loose a piercing war cry, and engaged the enemy, blade and hammer sweeping through armor and the lives within. Time ceased to have meaning as she fought relentlessly and remorselessly, caring only about the next enemy to enter her furious gaze. Something struck her and carved a gash in her side. She welcomed the pain and turned it into fuel for her fury, though she was always careful to keep a certain level of awareness, never quite allowing herself to descend into the depths of hatred where the Slayer slept, but rather in the kai, the purity of the battle. She fought.

Abruptly, it was over. Julia looked around, seeking another enemy, but she saw none. All she saw was blood and death. The battlefield had become an abattoir. There was no dirt beneath her feet. The ground was made of corpses and gore, and she could not place her feet without crushing the remains of a once-living being into the blood-soaked ground. Blood. It was everywhere. The mangled corpses and hacked-off pieces were all the same in death. Bhaalspawn who had come to Saradush for refuge. Saradush soldiers. Yaga-Shura?s troops. Innocents trapped by circumstance in the city. Their blood mingled and flowed together in death, indistinguishable in the slaughter. She looked down at herself, and saw her injured body, too, was covered in blood. Her own tainted blood, the blood of the enemy, the blood of the innocent? she could not tell the difference. She slowly looked around, and beheld unholy apparitions. Seemingly living figures drenched in blood and death. One even had wings, and for a moment she wondered if a devil had come to the world, attracted by the sheer amount of death that had passed. But she saw that they were but her friends, and that she herself looked no different-an avatar of death.

"What have we become?" she whispered.

Edited by Tempest, 12 April 2007 - 09:14 AM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

Yep, time for another. This one is quite different, however-it takes place long before Darian ever met a certain child of Bhaal...

Talon
Time: Begins thirty years before the events of Shadows of Amn

?Ah, Aalanris, it is good that you have come so quickly.?

?It was no trouble, old friend. What is this about??

?Your son, Darian. As you know, he chose to begin training as a scout, and I think it will be a good fit for him. He is very sharp for a new recruit, even one of such a long line of warriors as the Antharrna, and shows most remarkable promise. Promise enough that Archon himself has expressed interest in offering him a place amongst the Talons.?

?My son, a Talon? Ailocasora, is this one of your little jokes, it is an odd one.?

?As long as we fought together, I thought you would have known that I do refrain from that kind of joke when it comes to official matters.?

?Yes, I know. But we haven?t spoken for some time.?

?Ever since you retired from active service to raise your family, I know. How does your new post suit you??

?Quite well. I enjoy training new recruits in marksmanship-it is a valuable skill.?

?Yes indeed. But back to the matter at hand, it is quite true. As the boy?s father, I am required to seek your permission before the Order approaches him. You know it may mean not seeing him again for some time, and that he may be called away for campaigns and tasks without warning. We know this is not easy on families, so permission of the father is required.?

?If he accepts the offer, I will not object. It?s his decision-I may be his father, and he may have enlisted in the army partly to follow in his footsteps, but there are some things a young man must decide and learn for himself. I would not dream of interfering in whatever the goddess has planned for him.?

?Very well. We will approach him tomorrow-he is on a tracking exercise with the rest of his training group at the moment.?

The first thing Darian noticed about the Talon Hall, home of the Order, was how severe everyone seemed to be. It was as though the Talons were preoccupied with far greater concerns than the day-to-day defense of Myrrhavin. Darian was one of three initiates in the Hall. He knew that at the end of the next twenty years of hard training, only one would be selected to officially join the hallowed Order. He remembered well Father?s proud gaze as Darian accepted the offer-the challenge-to be granted training.

An elderly man walked towards them. He had a regal bearing, and wore the crest that pronounced him the Archon-the leader of the Order. He was clearly quite old, but his eyes were full of intelligence, and he ran an evaluating eye over the three initiates.

?You have been selected to begin your training in the path of the Talon. To be a Talon is to be many things. You must be a warrior of Myrrhavin-a deadly combatant in the air and on the ground, and as pitiless as the great eagles seeking prey. You must be a wilderness scout-a master tracker and pathfinder, able to survive anywhere in the most terrible conditions imaginable. You must be a servant of Aerdrie Faeyna-one who walks in the warm glow of faith, and draws upon that faith to heal, to protect, and to destroy. And finally, you must be a Talon-a defender of Myrrhavin, the Avariel, and everything we stand for, no matter the cost-including your own life, if the safety of your people demands it. For the next twenty years, your lives are forfeit. You will train, you will learn, and you will come to truly understand everything I have said here today. At the end of the training, one of you, and only one, will be chosen to join us in the Order. May Aerdrie Faeyna bless you, and your will be strong.?

The next twenty years would be among the most challenging in his life.

Darian thought about the challenge ahead of him. This particular training exercise seemed simple enough, on first glance-work one?s way to the center of the ruins and retrieve a flag. But, like most of its ilk, it was far more dangerous than it appeared. Many of Myrrhavin?s finest Val?Istari-Archmages-had spent days preparing all manner of illusions and worse to guard the flag. Though priests of Aerdrie Faeyna were standing by to rescue any initiates who managed to get badly injured, doing so was regarded as failing the exercise, and the Talons frowned on failure. To succeed, then, meant moving cautiously, keeping a careful eye out for things that seemed out of place, and dealing with fast, unexpected dangers. Bearing these things in mind, he carefully advanced into the outer edges of the ruins.

The flag seemed within quick reach, but Darian doubted it would be that easy-the exercise hadn?t been easy so far, and it seemed unlikely it would grow easier as he advanced. A magical orb floated down the avenue in front of the ruined building Darian sought momentary refuge in, and he dove out of sight. The orb, he had learned, delivered a nasty electrical jolt to anything that moved in its presence, and flight was out of the question-more orbs patrolled the ruins, some with irregular paths that were impossible to predict and avoid. Trying to take an aerial route to the flag would be too dangerous. He leapt lightly over the fallen wall, narrowly avoiding a spark of arcane lightning from the orb, and plotted his next move.

Only one obstacle remained, but it seemed insurmountable. As Darian had approached the plinth the flag rested on, a wall of flame erupted, forming an impenetrable barrier around the flag. He had walked around the courtyard, but saw no spots where the flame diminished, nor any means of putting the fire out. He had an instinctive fear of fire, like most Avariel-his wings singed easily. But there had to be a way of getting past this barrier-the Talons did not make exercises deliberately to make the initiate fail. There was always a solution, provided the initiate had the skill and the will to find it. He stared at the flag, pondering the problem.

The flame reached up and licked the flag-there was no way of retrieving it? That was it. The flag wasn?t burning. And if the flag wasn?t burning?

He fortified himself, and strode towards the ring of flame. The heat was intense, but? it wasn?t as bad as he would have expected. Far from it, actually. Hesitantly, he reached his hand through the inferno, half-expecting it to be burnt to ashes and for a cleric to rush into the courtyard to heal him. But there was no sensation, except the cool wooden shaft of the flag. Grinning with triumph, he walked through the barrier and took the flag.

?How has he been doing, Ailo?? the old warrior asked.

?Extraordinary. He just finished one of the nastier training exercises we have for an eighth-year initiate-the only one of his training group, actually. You raised a very determined son-once he decides something is important to him, it is difficult in the extreme to dissuade him. Just between you and me, he is almost certainly going to be the one selected at the end of the training. He?s very perceptive, and can pick up on things most people would miss, and he is one of the best shots with a crossbow we?ve seen in some time. That last one was your doing, I presume??

Aalanris grinned. He had been one of the master marksmen in the army in his time, and his son had clearly inherited some of his talent.

The general smiled as well. ?He has twelve more years, but I dare say he?ll thrive. Has a hard time in team exercises, however. Readily takes and gives orders, but he has difficulty relating to his fellow initiates-even more so than usual, given the competitiveness for the honor of being the one selected. Very self-reliant: even when he?s part of a team, he acts as though he?s a separate, one-man team working with the others. Almost always acts in cohesion with the overall plan, but doesn?t always inform the others of what he?s planning. If he can overcome this difficulty, he?ll be one of the best young Talons we?ve seen in centuries.?

?How have his studies been going??

?Quite well. Like most lads his age, he prefers the more physical lessons, but he is no fool-he knows how important the lessons in history, in learning the languages of the enemy, and in learning the geography of the region are. The priests of the temple are also quite pleased with his performance there-he could have been a worthy priest if he hadn?t taken the warrior?s path.?

?Hah! You know no Antharrna has been anything but a warrior for generations!?

?Yes, and your son may have just outdone you all.?

The two warriors shared an easy smile. They were brother and sister in law, after all.

It was time. For the last twenty years, Darian had trained, learned, fought, and trained more. The road of the Talon was not an easy one. In addition to the physical exercises and training, there had been many more lessons-learning the holy days and rituals of Aerdrie Faeyna, learning the languages of the humans and other non-Avariel, learning the careful battle language of hand signals used by Avariel warriors, as well as a great many lessons on history, on the non-Avariel inhabitants of Faerun, and so much more. Darian had pushed himself to his absolute limits in the pursuit of his training, and devoted himself to learning. They had even performed actual field missions with other members of the mainstream Myrrhavin army, under the watchful eye of senior Talons.

But it was finally time. With the other two initiates he had trained and fought against for the last two decades, he flew to the same place they had been offered their challenge so many years ago. It was a quiet trip, as each initiate wrestled over whatever last-minute irritations they had. For Darian, there were none. He was a servant of Myrrhavin, and content in that. He had no dreams of glory, or of grand adventure. He would spend his life in the service of Myrrhavin and his race, no matter the cost to himself. He ignored the whispers in his mind that warned him that he might fail. Admitting the possibility was the first step towards allowing it to happen.

The Talon Hall was solemn. Every Talon who still breathed was present, to watch the induction of a new warrior into their midst. Darian kept his expression carefully neutral, even as his heart swelled with pride and anticipation. At the head of the hall, the Archon awaited them.

?Initiates. Today is the day when you will be called that no longer. One of you will be forever after known as a Talon of Myrrhavin. To not be chosen is no dishonor-you will be honored by Myrrhavin in whatever capacity you are fated to serve. For twenty years, I have watched you struggle, watched you learn what it means to be a Talon. All of you have done well. All of you have proven yourselves to be men of great virtue, skill, and courage. You are warriors. You are survivors. You are servants. You are defenders of Myrrhavin. And now, one of you will become a Talon.?

Only through a supreme effort of will did he force himself to remain calm, even as the other initiates betrayed their anxiety?

?Darian Antharrna, son of Aalanris and Valmaara,?-his heart all but stopped-?Myrrhavin is honored to declare you a member of the Talon Order. Forever, you shall be known as Darian Antharrna, Talon of Myrrhavin.?

#4 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

Storm

The great palace of Suldanesselar astounded Julia. She had never been terribly fond of elven architecture, but it was a wondrous structure, made all the more beautiful by the great tree it was built atop and around. Intricate elven runes and artwork were inscribed on every inch of the lustrous green stone used in building the edifice. The sylvan elves, though mainly renowned for their woodwork, were clearly skilled masons as well, and their palace reflected the beauty of the forest.

A wounded elf?s screams jolted her out of her daydreams, and reminded her that although they had broken the siege on the city, the battle was far from over. With a reverential slowness, she pushed open the palace doors. Though massive, they swung aside as though completely immaterial.

A great tree dominated the entrance of the palace, and Julia senses an unusual vibration of some sort emanating from it-the tree was clearly a conduit for great power. As she looked closer, it was equally obvious that the tree was dying. Leaves turned yellow and fell, and the bark felt strange? oily. She glanced back at Jaheira and Darian, her two companions with elven blood.

?This is very odd-and dangerous.? Darian reported. ?Though my kind are somewhat divorced from the power of the forest, living in harmony with the mountains and the skies, something in this tree touches my spirit. The tree is dying, and with it, all the elves attuned to it. Even my people are feeling it, to a degree. We cannot allow this to happen.?

?I agree.? Jaheira said. ?This tree is deeply infused with the power of the Seldarine-the power of Rillifane himself, I would assume. But? something is siphoning off its power, drawing the life essence of the tree to another source. We must stop this.?

Even Minsc nodded. ?Boo says this tree is the life of the elves, and that to steal its power is a crime of most sinister evil! We will find whoever would do this, and kick his pasty arse all the way to Rasheman!?

?Very well-even I can sense this tree is a source of great power.? Julia agreed. ?Jaheira, any idea where the source of this corruption might be??

?Yes-it comes from below, from the roots of the tree. We must find a way down.?

?Wait!? Minsc shouted. ?Boo found some nuts in the tree-at first I thought he was hungry, but he says the nuts are important. Not even his furious incisors can crack them, and he thinks they?re magical.? He handed the nuts to Jaheira.

?Yes. You? ah, Boo, are correct. I do not know what purpose these may serve, but I will hold onto them.?

The party advanced. There was a pool of water nearby, with two beautiful waterfalls tumbling down into it. Looking around, they saw nothing but two broken statues.

?Any ideas on how to get down to the roots??

Nalia and Imoen flipped through their spellbooks, but both shook their heads at Julia when she asked the unspoken question. Jaheira frowned in frustration, and neither Minsc nor Darian could see another path. But? she pulled a stone harp they had found, and placed it in the arms of one of the broken statues. It fit perfectly, and the statue became animate, playing a beautiful melody that touched her to the core-the elven music was alien and beautiful. But, figuring she had the right idea, she retrieved the stone horn they had found, and placed it with the other statue. The statue blew a clear, powerful note, and fell silent.

The waterfalls split, and the pool drained away. But as she laid eyes on the stairs, she tingled. Her soul awaited her below, at the root of the tree. Figures. First he stole my divine soul, and now he?s attempting to drain this entire tree of power for his own. This is it. No mercy, and no redemption for you this time, Irenicus. Your time is over.

Minsc charged down the stairs, but Julia caught him. ?Minsc, there?s no need for you to continue. This is between Irenicus and me now. It?s not your fight.?

Minsc wrapped her in a hug so fierce Julia was worried for her own health. The massive ranger smiled at her. ?Boo and I have fought at your side since you rescued Dynaheir. We will not stop now. The murderer of Dynaheir has much to answer for, and answer he will!?

Julia smiled fondly. She hadn?t really expected to be able to dissuade her old friend.

She turned to her other companions.

?Nalia, you have a life to return you-I know you didn?t expect to be drawn into all this, and I?m sorry for causing such a disruption to your crusade. This is my fight now.?

?No, it is not just your fight. The plight of the poor is nothing compared to the devastation that monster has unleashed and is going to unleash if we allow him to. Rich, poor-it won?t matter if he gains power. I?m in.?

?Jaheira? I don?t suppose I?ll be able to talk you out of this, either??

?No, child. I promised Gorion I would keep you safe, and nothing has changed. And he will pay for the death of Khalid.?

?Imoen, I know it?s something of a lost cause, but you don?t need to come with me, either.?

?You should know me better than that. After all he put you, put me through, you can?t really expect me to stay out of this, can you? I?m with you to the end, big sis.?

Finally, Darian? she gazed at him. The love that had blossomed between them had been something entirely unexpected, and all the more powerful for it. He returned her gaze. No words passed between them. None had to. They tenderly embraced each other one final time, their own quiet reassurance that no matter what happened, he would stand by her.

Off to the side, Imoen smiled softly. She had watched them, just a few nights ago, as they finally admitted they loved each other. She was glad her sister had been able to find some measure of peace and comfort amidst the chaos and darkness. As good as the stoic elf was at keeping his feelings hidden, ever since Spellhold, Imoen had seen the quiet looks he had given her, heard the warmth in his voice as he spoke with Julia. And it all made for an endless source of amusement, the way he reacted whenever Imoen implied that he cared about her sister as more than just a friend. But now, even Nalia noticed the bond between them, and the two girls giggled.

But Julia and Darian separated, faces turned hard, and weapons were drawn. It was time for the end.

Descending the steps, Julia was greeted by an apparition of the elven queen. She quickly explained what had happened, explained the parasites they needed to destroy, and left. Julia looked around in utter astonishment. They stood on the root of a massive tree-the stairway had clearly been magical, as the tree seemed limitless, reaching up into the green, leafy sky. Some of the tree?s branches had been snapped off, the tree bleeding. They set off down the nearest branch.

The creature they found was like nothing Julia had ever seen before. It was hideous-a massive, vaguely snake-like creature of reek and corruption. Four massive blade-like arms drove into the tree, and there was a sickening sucking sound. Whatever this monstrosity was, it was clearly responsible for whatever was happening to the tree. She frowned. The thing seemed easy enough to slay, but she doubted it would be defenseless, being such a vital part of Irenicus?s plans, and he had always been one step ahead of them, ever since capturing them outside Baldur?s Gate. But there was really no other option, and she drew her weapons.

The creature swelled with energy at the sight of the unsheathed blade, and a wave of earth elementals appeared, seemingly rising from the tree itself. She immediately engaged the closest one, nimbly dodging a swing of its arm and driving her sword into its back while bringing her hammer down on the arm. The creature shook, but was not seriously injured by the attack. She went in close, carving a line across the elemental?s torso, but she moved too slowly. An earthen fist struck her hard across the shoulder, and she went down, stabbing her sword into the creature?s leg as she did so. Quickly rolling out of the way of a stomping foot, she drained a healing potion in one gulp and brought her hammer around, smashing into the arm of the elemental. Sensing a moment of weakness on the elemental, she leapt to her feet and brought hammer and sword into the creature?s chest. The elemental let loose a low, resonant vibration, and fell.

She took a look around at how her friends fared. Minsc had already dismembered one with his great sword, and was keeping another busy while Darian fired bolt after bolt with cold, methodical precision. Jaheira had summoned an elemental of her own, and fought alongside. The air shook as a delayed blast fireball claimed another. Soon, the battle was over, and the parasite defenseless. For lack of a better option, she swung her weapons into the abomination?s fleshy body. It was disgustingly like hitting a rotten fruit and her gorge rose as a nauseating stench arose from the thing?s insides, now exposed to the air. But Jaheira nodded at her-the creature was dead, and no longer draining power from the tree.

However, they soon discovered another problem-there was no way to advance further. The branches had been severed, and the foliage was dense and low-Darian shook his head. With a belt of giant strength, he could carry them to inaccessible areas one by one, a tactic they had used to great effect before, but it was out of the question here. Unless?

?Jaheira, give me one of those nuts Minsc found up above.?

Jaheira did so, and Julia placed the nut at the base of the severed branch. A plant sprouted immediately, growing with incredible speed and melding with the tree. The new branch stretch all the way to another section of the tree, where they could see another one of the aberrant parasite creatures. They swiftly moved across and attacked, easily destroying the elementals the thing summoned, only to be greeted by the queen?s apparition again.

?Yes! Excellent! There is only one more that needs to be destroyed! Already I can see this cage beginning to fade! Once I sever Jon?s link to the Tree of Life, you must be ready for anything. Be cautious. Kill the last parasite and come to the center of the Tree where Irenicus and I are! The energy he has stolen from the Tree will be torn from him. I know not what effects this will have? it may kill us all. But Jon will be weak and disoriented, so you must kill him quickly! Finish it quickly! I feel the Tree of Life dying! Jon is drawing too close to his goal!?

With a speed borne of necessity, the adventurers-turned-heroes ran, pausing only briefly to let new paths be grown. Soon, they reached the final parasite, and killed it. The familiar tingle of teleportation tugged at them.

Irenicus was there.

?WHAT! WHO? WHO DARES!!!?

Rage filled her eyes. ?By all that is righteous, I?m here to destroy you!?

?You?! You live yet? You have less than a fraction of your soul yet somehow you continue to oppose me? The power? the power of the tree is gone from me. You have been successful in your little scheme, insect, but now this ends. I will take great pleasure in eradicating such a nuisance as you. I will re-establish my link, join with the tree once again. I shall find the way, I shall have the power.?

But Ellesime strode from her cage. ?No, Joneleth, you shall not.?

While the two bickered, Julia quickly laid out plans with her companions. It was not going to be easy. They all knew what Irenicus was capable of. They had all seen it firsthand. But rage was a strong motivation to oppose such a force. Julia raged for all he had done to her and Imoen. Imoen raged for the same reason. Jaheira raged for the death of Khalid. Darian raged for what had happened to Julia. Minsc, well, Minsc was always enraged. Only Nalia did not contemplate such a vicious, primal urge to destroy Irenicus, but her face was grim, and she nodded.

With a cry of ?Die, insect!? the battle was upon them.

Irenicus was by far the most powerful foe Julia had ever faced. His magic was terrifyingly strong, and as she engaged, Minsc disappeared, caught by a maze spell. He reappeared a few minutes later. Julia?s mind viewed it all through a strangely detached perspective. It was as though she was watching a theatrical event-watching someone else fight in her body. She watched as that peculiar sense of disconnection came and passed, the telltale effect of a time stop spell. Who had cast it, she didn?t know. Magical energy flew back and forth, a storm of power that would have laid waste to an entire city. Irenicus was holding off their attack with seeming ease, until Imoen removed his magical protections. Irenicus immediately began to recast them, but Darian had been waiting for the opportunity, firing an exquisitely aimed bolt from his crossbow that struck Irenicus in the arm, disrupting the motions of the spell and causing it to fail. Finally vulnerable, Julia swung her hammer at his torso with all her might, and felt flesh and bone shatter beneath it.

?I? you? k-killed me.? Irenicus gasped. ?This is? this not?? whatever else he might have said was lost as he collapsed, well and truly dead.

Her friends cheered and shouted, but Julia could think of only one thing. What happened to her soul? She felt none of the restoration Imoen had described. But she watched as a spectral figure rose from the fallen body of Irenicus, a figure of blurred features, resembling at once Julia and Irenicus. The figure called to her, and feeling an intense pull from nowhere and everywhere, Julia answered.

She awoke in darkness.

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

Note: This is a post-ToB story, but I've changed a few things from Darian's epilogues, so no spoiler warning. :) I'm also afraid that I couldn't find much information on the specifics of weddings in Faerun, especially Lliiran ones, so I improvised towards the end. Enjoy!

Confluence
Time: One year after the end of Throne of Bhaal

One year. Had it already been so long?

Darian frowned as he paced back and forth. He and his friends-known as the Knights of the Sword Coast to most-had finally returned to Athkatla, after a year of adventure and battle. It was both happy and morose. No matter what Julia believed, it was the end of their adventuring band. Minsc was making noises about returning to Rasheman. Jaheira expressed desire to return to Tethyr, to heal the land they had helped tear apart. Nalia could not hold off the demands of Amnish society forever. Imoen?s eye had been caught by some young merchant, and was clearly going to head off on her own, whether Julia liked it or not. As for Julia and Darian, they both felt it was time to settle down, to build a life together.

That last reason was actually an important part of why they had returned to Athkatla at all. Julia had wanted to have a wedding in the human fashion, even though they had already exchanged private vows to each other in the Avariel tradition. She had argued about it enough that eventually Jaheira threatened to marry them off right then and there unless Julia agreed to return to Athkatla to get it settled in a proper fashion. She had, of course, immediately relented, and already it seemed as though half of Faerun was due to come to Athkatla for the ceremony. Darian sighed. He would have preferred a small, quiet ceremony with their friends, but Julia would have none of it. And like every battle with that frustrating woman he had fought since meeting her, it was a fight he was doomed to lose.

Darian himself had checked over the plans-it was going to be a truly massive ceremony. Even though Julia herself had no distinction by right of birth, and though Darian was certainly not a noble, they were both treated like the truly powerful of Athkatla-and well they might, he mused. Their adventures were told by bards all across the Realms, and the profits of the adventures had made them quite wealthy indeed, though it was still strange to be addressed with Julia as the Lord and Lady Antharrna. He allowed himself a small smile at that thought, recalling how Julia had been happy to take his family name for herself-the name meant ?Watchful Storm? in the human tongue, and Julia deserved the name without question, even as the elven name defined her as not entirely normal.

For now, he was agitated. The wedding was set for tomorrow, and they had already rehearsed and gone over things. The message he had received three days earlier told him that his family was coming from Myrrhavin to see the ceremony. It was a dangerous move by his family-as much as Myrrhavin had lauded him for his bravery, he had made his choice to be with Julia, a choice they could not help but frown upon. But his parents and little sister should have arrived by now. He did not worry for their safety-his father was still a great warrior, and his mother a powerful sorceress. But, as always, it was the things outside of Darian?s control that made him nervous.

?Don?t worry, Darian-they?ll be here in an hour or two.?

Darian managed to refrain from jumping out of his boots at the sound of Julia?s voice.

?For a Talon, you still get distracted easily.?

?I?m sorry-I was lost in thought.?

?You must have been, considering I?ve been standing here for nearly half an hour.?

?Thinking, melamin, thinking.?

?You don?t need to worry. I talked with Imoen, and she cast her senses out. They?re not far from Athkatla now. I have to admit, I?m nervous myself. It?s not every day I meet the people who will become my in-laws after tomorrow.?

Darian smiled. For better or worse, Julia?s situation did preclude that particular anxiety from affecting him.

?You have nothing to worry about, Julia. My parents have wanted to meet you for some time.?

?Yep-I kept forgetting that you alone of us all had a home and family that still awaited your return. But you gave it all up.?

?I gave up my home because I found a new one. Home is where the heart is, as they say, and my heart lies with you.?

?Awww. You?re so sweet when you?re feeling introspective.?

They smiled and kissed tenderly.

?Curse of my personality, I?m afraid. And I chiefly blame my introspection on you-I was happy with what I was and what I knew before you got your hands on me.?

?I won, you lost.?

They both laughed. In hindsight, their developing relationship had actually been rather amusing, recalling how Julia had been attracted to him from the beginning. Darian put up a valiant defense, but couldn?t help but try to learn more about her and understand her. What at first a near-interrogation had progressed into was really rather inevitable, looking back on it.

They spent the next hour or two reviewing more details of the wedding plan, talking about guests and the various formalities that would have to be observed. It would be a wedding in the Lliiran tradition, which meant, much to Darian?s dismay, lots of bright colors, dancing, and general revelry and happiness. There had been another last-minute addition to the guest list, a powerful marid and his entourage whom they had helped out a few months earlier, rooting out and destroying a conspiracy within the water genie?s trading empire that would have strangled Icewind Dale, ultimately involving a trip to the elemental plane of Air-an exhilarating experience for Darian, and an extremely disconcerting one for his friends.

The majordomo who now served Julia cleared his throat loudly. Behind him were three Avariel-Darian?s family.

Darian and his family joyously embraced each other-they hadn?t seen each other since Darian?s last visit to Myrrhavin after saving Suldanessellar. But he noticed Julia looking apprehensively at them-they would be her family as well, after a fashion.

Finally, Darian motioned her over.

?Julia, meet my family. My father, Aalanris.?

The warriors gave each other evaluating looks before smiling.

?So, you?re the Julia we?ve heard so much about. I think I can understand my son?s decision now.? Aalanris smiled, which Julia returned. They already saw each other as fellow warriors, sharing that special bond that unified all who lived for battle.

?My mother, Valmaara.?

The older woman looked apprehensively at the young human before her. She was clearly troubled, but then broke into a warm, maternal smile.

?You?ve had quite an impact on my son. I think I can understand why, now.?

?And finally, my little sister, Lindor.?

Julia looked puzzled. ?You taught me that word-it means songbird, doesn?t it??

The young elf nodded brightly, and Julia abruptly picked her up off her feet and swung her around playfully. Lindor giggled-the terms of the relationship had clearly been already established, fitting neatly into terms of big sister and little sister, even though Julia herself was small by human standards.

Julia?s smile was radiant. ?It is a pleasure to finally meet you all. Darian?s told me a great deal about you, and I must say that your raising of him meets to my satisfaction.?

Darian?s father spoke softly to his son. ?I think she?ll do.?

The morning of the wedding dawned clear and bright, with not a cloud to be seen. The ceremony had to be held outside the city walls-there was no place in the city large enough to hold all the guests. Julia and Darian had touched a great many lives on their adventures, and the ceremony was attended by guests of all sorts. There was the haughty marid and his entourage, a powerful quasi-elemental being composed of pure positive energy, the famed mage Elminster, fellow adventurer Drizzt and his band, a shapeshifted dragon or two, a planetar, even an eccentric Spectator beholder floated around. Many of Candlekeep?s residents came, astounded at just how much of an impact on the world the woman they would always remember as a little girl had had. And, if one knew the tingle of divine energies as Julia did, one would have noticed that Lliira and Aerdrie Faeyna themselves were in attendance. As it was, the sheer strength of the energy auras they, and some of the other guests, threw out was enough to erase any shadow of evil from the area.

The companions of the bride and groom were all equally powerful and proud to be there. Imoen, despite her stature as an archmage of great power, still wore the old mischievous grin, always on the lookout for trouble. Nalia was calm and dignified, the epitome of the noblewoman, though with an edge to it-she was just as powerful as Imoen with magic. Minsc was still Minsc-loud, brash, and cheerful, with Boo riding carefully on his shoulder. Sarevok appeared to most to be a tall, brooding statue, but to his companions, there was a slight, almost imperceptible smile on his face. Even Jaheira seemed at ease, knowing her promise to Gorion was at last at an end.

A slow song began. It was time.

Darian and Julia advanced down the central aisle, the former with a calm, content smile, and the latter with a wide grin. For the first time anyone could remember, neither showed any hint of their adventuring background-they could easily have been mistaken for carefree nobles, rather than two of the deadliest warriors in the Realms. But it was not the time for such thoughts. They reached the altar, and the high Joybringer of Lliira began the formal recitation, broken only by Minsc crying. Sarevok gently patted his once-foe, now-friend.

?Julia of Candlekeep, do you vow to take this man as your husband, to love and honor him, to bring joy and freedom to him and your descendants as long as you both shall live??

?I do.?

?Darian Antharrna of Myrrhavin, do you vow to take this woman as your wife, to love, protect, and honor her in all things, to bring joy and freedom to her and your descendants as long as you both shall live??

?I do.?

?Then I pronounce you husband and wife in the name of Lliira the Joybringer. You may kiss the bride.?

Darian did so.

#6 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

Good news, action junkies: as much as I enjoy good romance, Confluence used up about a week's worth of tolerance for writing it. As such, neither this story nor the next one I have planned have any sappy romantic content, and indeed, have much content for other characters at all-they're purely focused on Julia (since she is kinda the protagonist of the game, and these stories aren't all supposed to be from Darian's perspective). Enjoy!

Mirror
Time: Sometime during Throne of Bhaal

The energy barrier reformed behind them, as it had before. Julia frowned, wondering what this next ?challenge? would bring. They had already faced retribution, but the Solar?s enigmatic words, and those of her mother, Gorion, and young Sarevok, led her to suspect something worse awaited them.

As she approached the chamber, a series of dimensional gates opened. She mentally recorded them: Angelo, the corrupt officer of the Flaming Fist, wielding the same enchanted longbow he had used in the battle beneath Baldur?s Gate. Semaj, a wizard of no small power-at the time he had been by far the most powerful mage she had faced. He, too, was dead in the temple of Bhaal. A huge half-ogre she knew as Tazok, carrying a massive axe. And a slender but deadly human woman with a katana in each hand-Sarevok?s former lover, Tamoko, whom she had been forced to slay in the Undercity.

And finally, in the middle, a hauntingly familiar figure stepped forth. It was another human woman, small for her race, but possessed of a wiry strength. Julia knew the woman?s face, and cascading length of crimson hair all too well. She was facing herself. But her shade wore heavy plate armor-the same armor Sarevok had worn when he killed Gorion, and again when the two siblings fought each other in that terrible battle beneath Baldur?s Gate. Her copy even bore the same massive two-handed sword Sarevok had once had, and her eyes narrowed. Surrounded by Sarevok?s most fanatical followers and bearing his armor and weapon, it was plain what she was facing: herself, had Gorion taken Sarevok instead of her. Both women drew their weapons at the same instant-one in heavy armor and carrying a massive blade, the other fighting completely unarmored and wielding a long sword and warhammer simultaneously.

Wordlessly, they engaged. Julia and her copy immediately found each other, and brought their weapons forward in identical overhand strikes. The impact nearly shattered Julia?s arms. Despite the magical strength her weapons endowed her with, her copy was just as strong. For an eternal instant, two identical pairs of emerald eyes looked at each other. One set was incandescent with rage and madness. The other burned with quiet resolve. They both broke the lock at the same time, Julia bringing her sword up in an underhanded blow while knocking her counterpart?s arm aside with her hammer. The copy parried both blows perfectly and brought her blade around in a massive sweeping blow. Dropping to her feet, Julia dove under the attack and raked her weapons across her copy?s legs. They failed to penetrate her foe?s armor, however, and she quickly brought them up in time to parry another strike.

Julia recklessly swung both weapons forward, hoping to slip past her copy?s guard, but to no avail. They were both perfectly matched, predicting and countering each other?s maneuvers with unnatural ease and speed. The kensai, unencumbered by armor or gauntlets, was lighter, faster, and more skilled with her weapons, but the dreadnought?s powerful armor rendered her immune to all but determined assaults, and, fully in touch with her rage and divine power, was even more terrifying. They were both only dimly aware of the battle that raged around them-this was a personal battle between what was and what might have been.

Her counterpart lunged forward in a powerful thrust of her blade, and Julia could not quite dodge the blow. The sword?s keen edge sliced a shallow but broad cut across her abdomen, easily penetrating the ordinary clothing the kensai wore, having forgone armor for mobility, and she gasped with pain. The wound wasn?t severe, but blood loss would begin to affect her before long. Sensing weakness, her counterpart brought the haft of her blade down in a crashing blow that sent Julia to the ground. Drawing on the spirit that had brought her this far, she forced the pain aside and turned her fall into a languid backwards somersault, coming up standing a few feet away from her. Her copy wore a feral grin, knowing that the fight was almost over. It was on even terms, a fair fight between Julia and her copy.

Fair fights are for dead men?

The words echoed in her mind, and she briefly wondered where they had come from. Then she remembered-they had come from Hull, the Watcher at Candlekeep who had taught the girl the basics of swordsmanship and combat. Julia had become so devoted to the way of the kensai that she had forgotten some of those very basic lessons, and she smiled as she recalled that particular lesson in the training hall, after she had complained that Hull had beaten her in a sparring session by using unfair tactics. It finally occurred to her: her copy was every inch an equal fighter, but she had never known the instruction Hull had given Julia-often a bit bluntly, but useful lessons nevertheless.

Julia grinned as she realized her copy?s fatal weakness, and drew her weapons into a high guard. It was a basic move, with a basic response? and her copy took it.

As her counterpart brought her sword down to smash Julia?s defense aside and crack her skull open, Julia stepped in close to her foe, using her weapons to guide her copy?s arms out and away from her. As she stood at intimate range, she hooked her foot behind her copy?s knee and jerked forward. Her copy went sprawling to the ground, and Julia stabbed her blade down into the falling woman, the direct thrust penetrating her thick armor and into her chest. Judging by the blood that shot out of the wound, she had hit a major artery-Julia?s dark copy was doomed. She looked down into the dying eyes that were her own, and saw, as she had seen in Sarevok?s, that same fury and rage against her, against the Realms, against everything.

As her copy died, Julia?s consciousness surged, reshaping the room around her. Somehow, as when she had survived retribution in the earlier challenge, part of Julia died with her copy, bringing her that much closer to her essence, that much closer to the power within. Looking around, seeing how she had transformed the room of flame into a gentle room of sand, plants, and water, she thought to herself about all that had transpired. She had never asked for the power, never asked for the burdens placed upon her. But seeing how this place called out to her, how her soul commanded it at will, she knew in her heart that this was what was meant to be.

She knew it, knew that she could never have escaped what she was even if she had tried to avoid it, and knew that no matter how bad things looked, they were only going to grow worse. She looked out and saw other challenges that awaited her, and knew they would cost her just as the first two had. Julia did the only thing she could do with that knowledge.

She wept.

#7 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

This one's been in the works for several days now-I hope it's worth the wait. :)

Depths

Julia died. The strange apparition that had arisen from Irenicus?s broken form was going? elsewhere? and somehow, it was drawing her in its wake. She watched her body collapse in a heap at the Tree of Life as her spirit was drawn beyond in a massive vortex of spiritual energy. Removed from her body as she was, she somehow felt a sense of going down. She tore through planar barriers-far more violently than when they had taken the planar conduit in the Five Flagons playhouse? and the world suddenly reasserted itself.

She got up, and looked around. Wherever she was, it was a place of nightmares. She shivered. There was a strange and deeply unsettling doorway near her. The frame was made of nightmarish teeth, and was surrounded by five great eyes that watched her every motion. They seemed to stare through her, and following their gaze, she looked down. She still was still wearing her gray outfit, having long forgone armor in favor of mobility. All of her equipment was still in their proper places, including the Equalizer, her sword, and Crom Faeyr, her hammer. Clearly, she would need them here? wherever ?here? was?

A soft groan came from behind her. She spun around, weapons at the ready, only to see Jaheira picking herself up from the ground. Julia reached over and helped her to her feet. There was nothing but confusion in her eyes. There were more noises, and Julia saw that all of her companions had somehow come with her-from Imoen, who should have returned to the source when she died, and Darian, who should have gone to Arvandor. She frowned in thought. The maelstrom created when Irenicus died had pulled her into this place, and her friends spirits? had followed her in turn, coming with her wherever she needed them, even in death. They were as confused as she was, but as always, her friends stood ready for battle.

For lack of any other option, she selected the nearest stairway and went down.

?So we meet again. How fitting that our reunion should be in this place of retribution.?

The words jolted Julia as she took a look around-it was a chamber of many eyes. But standing before her was a person she thought herself long rid of?

?Sarevok?!?

?It is I. Or an echo, perhaps. My essence joined that of our dead father after you murdered me, after all? but in the end, all the children of Bhaal end up here. You have finally joined us, to claim your heritage as I had attempted. A pity that you arrive in pieces, weak and pathetic. My death was far more final than yours.?

Julia?s eyes narrowed. There was no mistaking it-this was indeed her brother. His armor still had great rends and tears in it, and she could clearly see the wound where she had stabbed him in the side, cutting through his body and slicing his heart in twain. He was dead, but he also seemed to know what was going on?

?Where are we??

?You don?t know? This is Bhaal?s realm, and since your essence has not joined that of our dead Father, you are still partly alive and your blood holds sway here.?

Cryptic as always. ?Holds sway? What do you speak of??

?Your soul is tainted by the touch of our father, fool, and it is that part which rules over this realm. But you share your soul with another, don?t you? The mage, he stole most of your soul, but not all. You are tethered like a helpless calf, dragged into Hell after him. Neither of you is alive, or truly dead.?

?Irenicus? Do you know where he is??

?Bah! Have you heard nothing? You have power here. Already you search, and already the mage obstructs you. The Tears of Bhaal are your only chance.?

?The Tears of Bhaal??

?A tear fell for every murdered soul, every torment paid by our father, and he kept each one. They can show you your path to the wizard? if you gather them all, that is. I have one of the Tears of Bhaal you will need. I will not hand it over to you, however. You do not deserve it.?

Julia sighed. She had, despite all efforts to the contrary, been forced to kill him, and still he taunted. ?You are in no position to place judgement on me, Sarevok.?

?But I am. I am in an excellent position. Rule of this realm was rightfully mine, and had I spitted you on my blade as easily as that pathetic wizard, Gorion, our positions would be reversed now!?

Julia suddenly noticed she was gripping her weapons hard enough to leave permanent marks on the handles. ?You dare speak of Gorion!?

?Ahhhh, yes. Stoke that infernal wrath of yours. I can feel the anger within you, boiling like a pit of sulphur in the crevices of your heart. You feel it, do you not? The taint that surrounds your soul like a serpent, squeezing it, spreading its venom. That taint, that wrath, exists in all the children of Bhaal? but few know how to use it. You have become the Slayer, have you not? The avatar of our dead father. The blackest expression of murder? I see it behind your eyes. Summon your wrath for me? if you can.?

?Why?! What do you get out of this?!?

?You are the one who brought me here. Your power over this place has summoned forth my essence once again. And why do you think you have done that? I can teach you how to use your wrath. You can control your taint, direct it, summon it at will! You can become the Slayer at will and become the weapon of murder you were meant to be! So think of me! Think of how I destroyed your precious Gorion! How I plundered the lives of your Candlekeep! Summon your rage, stir the depths of your black heart! Summon wrath! Summon wrath and become it! Because if you cannot, you are not worth your destiny! It should have been I! IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN I! ATTACK ME WORM, IF YOU DARE!!!?

Oddly enough, that final shout, scream of rage, broke Julia?s anger. She suddenly realized how close she had come to losing control, to attacking Sarevok on the spot. But it was that final taunt that made her realize just who she was dealing with. A ghost, nothing more. She was a kensai, and her training reasserted itself. Purity without emotion. Battle without fear. Destruction without hatred. She knew her anger intimately, learned to live in the kai without descending into the depths where the Slayer slept. The sad, pitiful ghost before her never learned that lesson, and she couldn?t help but laugh.

?I don?t feel the wrath you claim, Sarevok. I pity you and what you have become, but that is all.?

?THEN YOU WERE NEVER WORTHY OF BHAAL?S BLOOD, AND I SHALL CRUSH YOU WHERE YOU STAND!!!?

Sarevok?s wraith attacked. But it was oddly? half-hearted. Madness burned in his eyes, but unlike their last battle, Julia did not feel equal hatred in return as she fought. She had calmed the hatred within herself, tamed the beast sleeping within her. The battle was a short, pointless necessity. Sarevok fell quickly, and as he did, a teardrop gem appeared before her. It glowed, and she felt? strange? as she picked it up. The Tear touched her spirit, and reaffirmed her peace of mind. Hatred was a powerful force in her soul, yes, but it was not her master.

A demon stood before her, but Julia?s intuition told her it wasn?t here to fight. In fact, she doubted if this even was a true Balor, as it appeared to be. What it was, she didn?t know, but she didn?t like it, even as it spoke with a slow, oily voice:

?One of the Tearssss doesss lie near thisss very place. It is in the possession of another, one with ssso much power. Ssso difficult to defeat it issss. But all thingsss, even the mosst powerful, can be overcome, yesss? You have defeated many whose claims of power were sso hollow? you tore them down from their thronessss??

This sounded suspiciously like a test. A test of what, however, she wasn?t sure. ?But what does that have to do with the Tear??

?Ahhh? alwaysss you have used the right tools to defeat your foes, yesss? And I am giving you now, the right tool to defeat this one. Here it isss? gaze upon the sword that is named ?Blackrazor?? most powerful it is. And it is the tool you need to defeat the one who holds the Tear. It is for you to decide, Child of Bhaal, how to use the tool you have. I leave you to your choice, then, young Lady of this place??

The demon handed her the sword in its claw, and it was all Julia could do to not drop it immediately. It was black as the darkest night, and it reeked of shadow. She was not as sensitive to the power of raw evil as Darian or Jaheira were, but the thing sickened her. It was clearly a very powerful weapon, as the demon had said, but no power was worth wielding such a tainted weapon.

She advanced down the room, but saw, to her surprise, a djinni, it?s expression one of intense suffering.

?I see the ruler of this small plane has come to me. Perhaps my eternal torment shall be relieved at long last! Oh, I can only hope!?

?Are you the one who guards the Tear of Bhaal??

?I am, to my everlasting torment. It is my punishment that I hold the Tear of Bhaal, to remain here forevermore until certain? conditions are met. Only then may I be free.?

?What conditions are those??

?I? cannot tell you directly, my Lady. It is a condition of my punishment that I may only tell you of its nature in a riddle. Listen closely: Ye who hold the razor?s blade/Forged of darkest iron/quenched by blood and fear/know that ye hold the key/to the one who guards/Bhaal?s sacred murdered tear.?

Ah, made sense.

?So? let me get this straight. The sword Blackrazor is the key to getting the Tear of Bhaal from you??

?I cannot answer that, my Lady.?

Julia frowned. As evil as the blade was? it was quite powerful. Did she really need to give it up? After all, there would always be times when she could use a weapon like that-and who was to say Irenicus could resist such a weapon? It could be the key to winning this strange battle in eternity she fought with him, and with herself. And even if it was not, who would miss it?

Get a grip, Julia? she told herself. That sword was evil, period. It seemed possible that she could just give the sword to the genie and end the problem that way.

?So if I were to give you Blackrazor, would you give me the Tear? And that would release you from your punishment??

?It would, my Lady.?

Part of her yelled at her to take the sword and kill the genie with it. The demon had given it to her-she deserved it! But she overrode that part of her mind-greed led to nothing good.

?Take the sword, then. I have no need of it.?

?I am most grateful to you, then, for my release. May the Heavens sing your praises for this charity you have shown me, my Lady!?

The genie held another Tear to her, and she took it. The gem tingled, and she noticed the part of herself that had screamed for her to keep the sword was suddenly silenced. She smiled to herself. This had indeed been a test-a test of greed. And she passed.

?Know you, Child, that there is a Tear of Bhaal in this place before us? yet there are two paths that lead to it. Two doors, two paths, yet both lead to your goal, yes? You have made many choices on the journey that was your life. Many paths have you taken, and always they have had an effect on those around you? even when that was not your intention. Such is the fate of those born with Destiny? the consequences of the actions they take ripple about them throughout all that is reality. Perhaps the fate of others concerns you little. Perhaps it consumes your soul. That, too, is a choice? an action taken? a ripple set into the pond of reality.?

This demon was as obtuse as the last one, but she had spent enough time around Darian to learn to draw conclusions from scant evidence. This was another test.

?What does all this have to do with the Tear, then??

?The path you take to the tear will affect another this day. Another who is innocent of the action you take, and yet affected by it just the same. One of those who travels with you, who orbits your destiny and yet is innocent of your taint? will do nicely. Remember, Child of Bhaal? a choice must be made, and you must live with the consequences of that choice. Go to my left and sacrifice for the innocent. Go to my right and save yourself.?

She looked around, to see who had been taken. Jaheira was missing. As with the prior tests, this was not an easy choice. She had never really liked Jaheira-the woman had taken it upon herself to be Julia?s guardian, even when the kensai made it clear that she had no need of an aunt looking over her shoulder. She had no real problem with letting Jaheira die and having Darian read a scroll of raise dead, but? Jaheira had sacrificed much for Julia over the time they had known each other, and did so without hesitation. Julia?s course was clear.

Julia opened the first door, and felt a minute portion of her essence, her life force, slip away. The door warned her that the next one would cost even more. But Julia pushed the next door open regardless. Her movement became ever-so-slightly slower and more unsure. Her normally catlike balance and reflexes seemed? off. Even as she adjusted to the change, she pushed open the third and final door. Part of her memory seemed to slip, and Julia suddenly questioned her fighting skills. But she stopped as soon as she saw the demon and Jaheira in the chamber.

?A selfless act, from one who willingly shoulders the burden of Destiny and its effects upon others. Your companion is returned to you, Child of Bhaal. The Tear of Bhaal is yours, Child.?

The demon released Jaheira, and left behind another glowing Tear. She picked it up, and felt a warm reassurance flood her. She had done the right thing-the burden she bore was hers alone. No one else would pay for it.

?A Tear of Bhaal lies very close to here, Child of Bhaal? just beyond either of these two rooms before you. You have encountered many times in your existence when you?ve been forced to swallow your fear, no? You have fought off terror that would overwhelm a lesser being and shown courage, instead. Pass through either of these rooms and your vaunted courage shall be challenged, Child of Bhaal. I have something I will offer, however, which will make it so much easier for you. You know, like so many with power, that items of magic can do much that the ordinary man cannot? such as this cloak, for instance. Stitched together from the flayed skins of lovely nymphs. Wear it and be soothed by its powerful magic? panic will never overcome you again. With this cloak, you could easily gather the Tear of Bhaal and worry not of your courage. I bow to the power of your divine soul, Child, and offer this cloak up to you? if you wish it.?

This demon?s voice was smooth as silk, and its words tempting. As much as people praised Julia?s courage, fear was far from unfamiliar to her. She knew fear-she had been afraid of the dragons they had fought, of the mind flayers when they had been captured in the Underdark, fear for her soul and Imoen. But pride burned within her. She had overcome her fear and destroyed those who would bring it.

?I do not need a cloak to give me courage, fiend. Take it and be gone.?

?Then you choose to rely on your own power and bravery. It will be as you wish, Child of Bhaal.?

The demon vanished, and the party entered one of the rooms, filled with beholders. Julia immediately shut her eyes-of all the monsters she had ever encountered, none had an effect on her quite like the floating monstrosities. She had chosen to brave the mind flayer city in the Underdark rather than fight through a beholder hive. The things frightened her to no end-a strange phobia, though hardly crippling under most circumstances. But she summoned her will, and clamped down on her fear. She opened her eyes and dove into the fray?

At the end of the chamber was another Tear. As she picked it up, a warm sensation flooded her. She had mastered her fear.

?Ah, so the Child of Bhaal comes to me, finally, for the last of the Tears of Bhaal. You have come very near to locating your quarry, oh young Lady of Murder. Yes, indeed, you have.?

Julia sighed. This seemed to be the last of the tests awaiting her, and the demon, naturally, felt compelled to offer more, continually cryptic, advice.

?I suppose you?re going to tell me Irenicus has been waiting for me behind that strange door this entire time??

?Of course not. He moves fast, yet you close on him quickly. The tests you make are clever, oh young Lady of Murder. Your power here is strong.?

?What do you mean??

?How do you find your soul, Child of Bhaal? Do you find it on a stroll? No, you must know yourself, the depths of your passion and the heights of your depravity. You come to know what you are capable of, and that shall open the way to your soul. It is yourself, your essence, you seek? whether you know it or not. And because this is what you seek, your power fights against the mage and brings you closer to your goal. Soon you will open the eyes with the Tears of Bhaal.?

?And then what? The door will open and Irenicus will be there??

?The way to your soul shall be revealed, but you only perceive it as a door. A pity mortal minds cannot encompass more power than their faculties can comprehend. I hope you have been careful, Child of Bhaal. The Nine Hells are a place of retribution? the Tears sting as easily as they soothe.?

?Why are you speaking so cryptically? What does that mean??

?I obscure the truth because it is my nature to do so, oh Lady of Murder. But I bow to your mastery, here, and answer your questions nonetheless. It is a good thing you have come to me, Child of Bhaal. Only you hold the terrible power that holds one of your dead father?s Tears here. I have heard of your prowess, Child? most impressive, for a mortal life. Creatures of great power thrown aside as if they were nothing! Beings any other mortal would quake before, you have fought against valiantly! You are a wonder of destruction, Child of Bhaal! Go then, and defeat the creature that lies in the cavern! Crush it beneath your heel and claim another victory!?

Julia felt a warm flush. She had always been proud of her ability and how far she had come. She opened her mouth to accept the demon?s challenge, but a thought struck her. The thing was encouraging her to attack something without saying what. And the other tests had all rewarded careful thought rather than impulsive action. And?

?What manner of creature do you speak of??

?It is a powerful creature, Child of Bhaal. One that only you can destroy! I am confident in your ability to deal death to such a creature as this and take the Tear that is yours!?

The demon had neatly sidestepped her question. But she grinned-she had grown used to evasive answers from Darian, a long time ago, and she had learned well to not let her target escape so easily.

?It?s powerful, but what manner of creature is it??

?It is a creature that deserves death, Child of Bhaal. You are such a wondrous fighter, I simply thought you could defeat it where others failed.?

That struck her as an interesting response. The thing was trying to goad her into fighting whatever awaited her, but it was interesting that it felt the need to do so at all. She had encountered many creatures and beings that deserved death, and brought it to them. But she wondered just why the demon would want her to kill whatever it is.

?Why does it deserve death??

?Because? because it exists. It stands in your way.?

Julia was suddenly glad she had given careful thought to her actions. She had destroyed many creatures of power, but only after due consideration, and only after she had determined there was no other way. Destruction for its own sake was evil.

?I do not kill things just because they are in my way.?

?You do not? Then perhaps you consider carefully the place your terrible power fill focus upon? Consider the reason behind every blow? I see that despite your great deeds, you have no pride in you, Child of Bhaal. So be it. Humility serves well those who wield it well.?

The demon smiled and vanished. Julia advanced cautiously into the room beyond. A dragon awaited her. It simply dropped the final Tear at her feet and vanished. This Tear was cool to the touch, reminding her that choices made in haste and pride were seldom wise ones.

Having returned to the main chamber, Julia and her friends enjoyed a well-deserved rest. Then, facing the door, Julia withdrew the first Tear-the one that she had taken from Sarevok. She placed it in the first eye, and she suddenly felt strange. It was as though the barrier she had placed between her hatred and her mind had suddenly spread to her skin, fortifying her defenses. She took the second Tear, which the grateful genie had given to her for releasing it, and placed it in the second eye. Her body tingled, as though suddenly endowed with a degree of resistance to more than just greed. Then the third Tear, which had been given to her along with Jaheira, having sacrificed her own soul for her friend. Placing it in the third eye, she felt renewed confidence that she could withstand all manner of attack. The fourth Tear, proof of her courage, fit neatly into the next eye. The heat and sensation of the horrific place diminished somehow. Then, the final Tear, which she had very nearly failed-saved only by a last-second doubt. With reverential slowness, she placed it in the last eye, and felt an odd aura descend on her, giving her greater insight into herself and others. Then the door vanished.

It was Irenicus.

?So, we are to battle one last time. No more hiding for either of us. I will enjoy destroying you, Julia. To die in this place is to cease to exist!?

Julia smiled as the mage taunted her.

?I am ready to face you. I have seen the depths of my soul and I am not afraid.?

?Yes, perhaps you are focused within yourself, despite the loss of your soul. But I know as much of myself as well, and I, too, have no fear! As horrific as this place is, it merely mirrors the soul we now share. Shrink from it if you will, but I have grown to appreciate what it can offer! Now defend yourself! One of us is not truly dead, and may be restored if the other is left here to rot! I will be free with what I have taken!?

?Then do what you must, and I will do the same.?

?You will not be so calm when I doom you to non-existence!? Irenicus yelled.

Julia?s friends shouted their own battle cries, and the final battle began. The air grew cloudy as Nalia and Imoen cast death fog spells, killing summoned creatures as soon as they arrived. However, he gated in multiple demons, not subject to the fog?s effects. One immediately fell dead, a crossbow bolt lodged in its throat, but the others roared and attacked. Minsc immediately engaged them, letting Julia go after Irenicus. She knew the drill now, methodically destroying his mirror images and wearing away his stoneskin protections.

The mage?s efforts seemed over when he suddenly roared. It was a terrible sound Julia knew all too well. The same darkness that lurked in her soul had burst forth in his. He screamed in rage and pain, and his skin grew black and scaled.

?Everyone, get back! He?s becoming the Slayer!?

Her friends retreated, drawing ranged weapons and spells. They knew precisely what the Slayer was capable of-Julia herself had taught them. But Julia stood her ground. She knew what the Slayer represented, and she had long ago sworn to oppose it, even as she recoiled slightly, seeing the transformation complete. The Slayer swung its massive claw at her, but Julia rolled under it, slashing her sword across the monstrosity?s legs. The Slayer seemed more annoyed than hurt by the attack, and she quickly moved out of the path of another claw. Behind her, her friends unleashed their fury, but the Slayer completely ignored the barrage of arrows, bolts, and spells coming its way. It had eyes only for Julia.

It?s time to finish this, she thought, and let loose a shrill yell. One by one, her senses turned wholly to the battle. Extraneous thoughts and sounds disappeared. Even the knowledge of why she fought ceased to matter. Her weapons became living extensions of her mind, a mind focused utterly on the battle at hand. She did not move out of the way of attacks-she simply thought, and her body followed. She directed her weapons into the Slayer, with the full force and purity of the kai behind them. They scored direct hits, tearing through armored hide and tough flesh. A claw raked across her, inflicting what Julia knew was a mortal injury. An irrelevant distraction. The pain vanished, and Julia began her attack anew. A spell hit and destroyed many of the Slayer?s remaining magical protections, and Julia lunged forward, driving her weapons into the Slayer with all the terrible power her blood could summon.

What happened next, Julia would never be certain. Both she and the Slayer were mortally wounded, and darkness claimed them both. All she knew was that the darkness then released her, and she awoke again in the light, her body and soul restored.

She had won.

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

This is an altogether different story, and it is seperate from the other Perspectives stories, taking place in a different timeline with a different party. It's also a bit shorter than the others, but is meant to give a preview of sorts of the Darian-Mazzy relationship. Enjoy.

Shadows
Time: Two weeks into the events of Shadows of Amn

?Look out!? Thomas yelled.

Darian dropped to the ground, feeling the wind from the dragon?s tail sweep overhead. He came to his knees and fired another bolt from his crossbow, but the projectile simply glanced off the monstrosity?s scales. They were fighting a shadow dragon-a powerful extraplanar dragon from the negative energy plane. Despite the urgency of the situation, he reloaded his bow calmly, his deep anger against the dragon having turned into icy resolve. The dragon reared up onto its hind legs, preparing for another blast of raw negative energy. The party ran out of the way, but Mazzy, their new halfling companion, had suffered a hit to her leg. She wasn?t going to make it?

He ran, chanting a prayer to Aerdrie Faeyna under his breath as he did so. His eyes recorded the distance between Mazzy and himself, and between the two of them and the dragon. They formed a shrinking triangle, and Darian mentally estimated the range of the breath weapon. Like all Menel?Quessir warriors, he had had extensive training for possible combat against the ancient enemy, the dragons. Mazzy fearlessly stood her ground against the dragon, knowing full well she could not escape the breath weapon, and fired another arrow from her enchanted bow into the creature. He ran into her at full speed, knocking her out of the way of the cone of negative energy the dragon launched at them. Hollow as his bones were, he still had enough momentum to send the halfling crashing aside. He felt a nauseating sensation come over him as the edge of the breath weapon hit him, but the spell Aerdrie Faeyna had granted him shielded him from the worst of the effects.

Mazzy?s recovered quickly as Darian applied a healing spell, her face momentarily reflecting a flicker of gratitude, then turned hard as she drew her bow again and resumed firing. Darian, too, retrieved his crossbow and resumed attacking. His eyes swept over the halfling, who wasn?t actually all that much smaller than he was, noting that she moved as an experienced fighter, and plainly had no fear of the dragon, or anything else, which was very interesting. She was clearly a person of worth.

Darian shook his head and cleared his thoughts, concentrating on the battle. The dragon continued to fight, but it was losing ground against the adventurers. Thomas and Viconia assaulted its spell defenses, wizard and cleric methodically destroying the powerful innate defenses the dragon had against magic, while Valygar and Yoshimo kept the creature busy in melee, and Mazzy and Darian kept a steady stream of arrows and bolts heading for the beast. As Thomas summoned an air elemental and directed it into the fight, the dragon knew the battle was over, and fell quickly.

Darian ran an impassive gaze over the band of adventurers as they eagerly looted the dragon?s small hoard. Thomas, the leader and the one who had convinced Darian to lend his assistance, was a powerful human wizard, but his magic was also unstable-the Talon had learned to be on his guard when Thomas cast a spell, as all manner of strange things had happened before. By far the most disconcerting had been a spell that transformed Darian into a woman until they had managed to reverse the spell. Viconia, the Illythiri priestess, stood at Thomas? side. Though just as much of an outsider as Darian, he didn?t trust the dark-skinned elf. He wasn?t familiar with the ?drow?, as she called her people, but she was not a woman to be trusted, even if Thomas had shown active interest in her. Yoshimo, the enigmatic thief, had a merry smile on his face. Valygar was dark and somber as ever. Mazzy, oddly enough, displayed none of the jubilation he had expected of a halfling. She scanned the area, searching for more threats.

Taking the remaining staircase, they once again found themselves on the surface. The courtyard was dominated by an altar, which radiated darkness and evil. Surrounding it was a small army of shadows, twisted spirits of the dead. Leading them was a hideous caricature of a human woman, whose very flesh radiated pure evil. Darian paid no heed as the shade lord taunted them, nor to Thomas and Mazzy as they responded. He loaded his crossbow and surveyed the enemy, gauging range, danger, and numbers. Then they attacked.

For Darian, combat was a ruthless and mechanical exercise. He chose the order of targets to destroy, and methodically raised his crossbow, fired, evaluated whether to continue firing at the same foe or change targets, reloading his bow as he did so, and fired again, taking careful, precise shots and systematically eliminating the enemy. Then he suddenly heard a woman scream, and snapped around. Mazzy was facing a shadow, one that seemed to wear the appearance of a male halfling. She backed away slowly, almost paralyzed with fright. Darian?s eyes narrowed-she had been utterly fearless fighting the dragon, but was frightened of this? He did the only thing he could do.

The shadow staggered under the impact of the crossbow bolt, and Darian stepped forward, placing himself between the shadow and Mazzy. His crossbow being of no more use, he stowed it and drew his blades. He wasn?t very skilled at melee combat, but with Mazzy somehow frozen by the halfling-like shadow, they were the right weapons. The shadow chattered, and swung its claw at Darian. He parried with his short sword and thrust his long blade forward, precisely as he was taught so many years ago in training. The blow hurt the abomination, but he doubted he could kill it.

Until an arrow thudded into it. Mazzy had regained her mobility and fired while Darian kept it busy. He still didn?t understand why she had been so traumatized by the shadow, but that would have to wait. He turned his attentions once again to the battle?

With the shade lord dead and light returned to the area, the sound of weeping drew Darian?s attention. Mazzy was standing over the shadow that had nearly killed her in her paralysis, but horror and loss were evident in her expression and her actions. He stood beside her and looked at the corpse of the shadow, now merely a person in death. It had been a halfling in life, male, and wore armor. The explanation seemed logical.

?Mazzy, was he one of your adventuring companions??

She had trouble responding, as though each word hurt her physically. ?It?s Patrick? he? he was? was? my??

Darian understood. He had seen the same look in the eyes of fellow warriors before. He gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

?Mazzy, he died with honor, no matter what happened to him in death.?

?No? he? I? killed him??

?No, you killed a twisted fiend that wore his face and would have killed you if it could. He died in the line of duty-this shadow, this *thing*, is not him. His spirit is tortured no longer, and he can rest now in peace.?

Mazzy was wracked with sobbing again as she bade farewell to her beloved Patrick, but in her tear-filled eyes, Darian saw understanding.

#9 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:51 PM

Time for a return to Julia and Darian, but this time, we're taking a look at how it all began, using the exact words they may use when Charname meets him, albeit with a slight change in location...

Minor asides: The similarity in the names of this and the last two stories is purely coincidental-they're simply the most appropriate names I could think of. And in Darian's actual mod, you'll meet him outside the Copper Coronet, not inside.

Beginnings
Time: Two days into the events of Shadows of Amn

Darian frowned. Sitting in the filthy building the humans called the Copper Coronet, he had been quietly writing his report on the insane fusion of mercantilism, corruption, religious faith, and military power that the human barbarians called a government. He had learned a ready amount from the drunkards inhabiting the tavern, once again thanking Aerdrie Faeyna that the invisibility wards on his wings were holding. He had no desire to provoke any further attention from the filth infesting the building. But his attention was promptly drawn away by the sound of the door opening. His eyes swept over, and carefully monitored the new arrivals.

They were plainly adventurers of some sort, and were lead by a woman. She was human, with a small build for a human, almost elven in her frame. She had long, straight red hair, which flowed down to her waist, unbound, green eyes shimmering with intelligence, and a confident stride. There was a long blade and a warhammer at either side in interestingly designed fixtures on her belt, in easy reach if she needed them, and were the same plain gray as her outfit, which was simple and utilitarian-no armor at all. Darian?s experienced eyes told him she was an experienced warrior-she held herself with total self-confidence, and exuded an air of utter fearlessness. Though a human would have found her intimidating, if only vaguely pretty, to the elf?s eyes, she had an exotic, predatory beauty. He was? intrigued.

Following in her wake were several other adventurers. One was the most massive human the Talon had ever seen-his frame was large and clearly very powerful. He wore heavy plate armor, carried a greatsword across his back, and had odd purple designs on his face. Darian mentally recorded him as a barbarian-not a person he would willingly pick a fight with. Oddly enough, he noticed a small rat on the barbarian?s shoulders-a familiar, perhaps. Next to him was a woman, of seemingly elven descent. He looked more closely, and saw that her features were an odd blend of human and elven. A half-elf? His training had indicated such half-breeds existed, but he had never seen one before. She had short brown hair, wore plate armor, and bore a long spear. She carried herself as an experienced warrior, but she had an undeniable air of one who was uncomfortable with civilization, such as the humans termed it-she was a ranger, or a druid, perhaps. Finally, trailing in the wake of the warrior, the barbarian, and the half-elf was another human. He had an exotic cast to his features, wore leather armor, and carried an odd, curved blade. Darian?s every instinct told him this was not a man to be trusted-a thief of some sort.

He watched them closely as they made their way to the bartender. Their leader seemed to be seeking information, but another of the tavern?s inhabitants closed in on her. He had observed the woman-her name was Nalia De?Arnise, and she had a strange personal quest to ?free the lower classes from the tyranny of the overbearing nobility?, as she had put it before, accosting another tavern patron. She had approached him as well, but a sharp glare from the elven warrior was sufficient to drive her away. Darian listened closely as she approached the female warrior, and noted that they accepted her plea, and the noblewoman fell into step behind them. Then the female warrior turned and surveyed the rest of the tavern. Her eyes swept over Darian, and their gazes locked. She promptly strode over to him.

Darian?s eyes narrowed, but she seemed a decent person.

?Hmmm? you do not seem to be an evil person. I am Darian, Talon of Myrrhavin.?

The woman seemed to consider this, then spoke. Her voice was calm, with a lilting accent to her voice that he couldn?t place.

?What in the hells is an Avariel warrior doing in Athkatla??

So she knew a Menel?Quessir when she saw one. Unusual. But he supposed there was no harm in responding honestly. He wasn?t going to be present much longer.

?I was sent here when rumors reached Myrrhavin of an Avariel being imprisoned somewhere in the city. From what I?ve heard in this barely habitable section of the city, there was an Avariel involved in some sort of public spectacle in the great promenade. Barbaric humans??

It occurred to him that that last comment was probably unnecessary. But she didn?t seem overly perturbed.

?Actually, we already found and freed her. She?s in the circus, over by Waukeen?s Promenade.?

This was good news? if extremely unexpected. He would have to check her report himself, of course-there was no chance in the Abyss that he would take a human at her word-but she had indeed done an honorable thing. More honorable than he would have expected of a human. He frowned internally-this wasn?t at all what he had expected. But she had done a good thing, so perhaps he should offer her assistance?

?You have done a noble thing indeed, human, and I will go to the promenade to see what's happened. Now, is there anything I can help you with before I leave??

She seemed to think about it for a few minutes. He wondered what was causing her such problems?

?Actually, there might be. I?m trying to rescue a childhood friend who was kidnapped by the Cowled Wizards. Do you know any way you might be able to help??

Interesting. She seemed to be an honorable person, and perhaps he could gather additional intelligence, which would be greatly appreciated by his superiors?

?I know nothing of the Cowled Wizards, but you are seeking to free an imprisoned companion? You rescued the prisoner of your own volition, which speaks well of your character. If you wish, I can lend my skills as a Talon to your group until we rescue your friend.?

She smiled.

?You will be an asset. Come, let?s get going.?

Darian carefully stowed the loaded crossbow he had concealed beneath the cloak in his lap, and rose. The woman's companions looked at him oddly, but she herself simply smiled at him.

"By the way, my name is Julia."

Edited by Tempest, 01 May 2007 - 07:38 PM.

#10 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:09 PM

As you may be able to tell from the title, this is in many ways the companion piece to Confluence, and it explores a subject inevitable in the scheme of things. Have fun speculating on what the final words mean. :)

Divergence
Time: Sixty-one years after the end of the events of Throne of Bhaal

?And? FIRE!?

Six bolts arced down the field. Four missed their targets completely, but two more struck home on the enchanted moving targets. Each target was constantly moving from side to side, speeding up and slowing down at regular intervals. Neither hit was particularly clean, however-one just barely struck the outside edge, and the other wasn?t much better. Darian strode down the line of marksmen.

?Nyal, you aimed too high. The range isn?t as far as you think. Martin, you?re improving, but you need to take your target?s motion into account. Tinara, you did much better this time, good job. Pardrin, ease up on the tension-you?re going to break the crossbow if you hold it that tightly. Eloyirn, you did well, but that thing accelerates and decelerates on a regular interval-learn it and account for it. Thomas, nicely done, but it could have been better.?

He turned to face the trainees.

?Ladies and gentlemen, I deliberately set this one up to be a difficult test. Your target is moving, and not at a constant rate. Take your time with your shots-this isn?t timed, and you have no excuse for not learning your target?s pattern of behavior. Hitting a moving target at long range is no easy feat, but if you can kill an enemy before he can even think about doing something about you, you?ve won the battle.?

?But sir, how are we supposed to predict the target?s motion? It keeps changing speed.?

?Yes, but in a predictable fashion. Learn how it moves, and fire so that your bolt and the target occupy the same place at the same time.?

Darian turned and drew his own crossbow. He sighted the bolt carefully, even though it was a trivial shot compared to some of the things he had done in the past. With the target?s motion and pattern of speed changes in mind, he adjusted his aim slightly, and gently pulled the trigger. The bolt lanced down the practice field, and struck home-a perfect bulls-eye.

?That?s how it?s done, folks. Load your crossbows, and let?s try this again??

Inwardly, Darian was actually rather pleased. While Julia was a member of Athkatla?s ruling council, known to the city merely as the Dahuanarch, Darian had been offered a position within the city guard, which he had accepted, being long divorced from his heritage and training. He had become renowned as the best marksman in the entire region, and to be chosen for marksmanship training under the hand of the winged elf was considered a great honor. He only ever trained classes of four or five at a time, not settling until his students? skills rivaled that of a Talon. For the past fifty years, Darian has been a teacher, a niche he was comfortable in. The paternal pride he felt towards his own children and grandchildren echoed in him as he taught the young marksmen, and watched them graduate with pride.

It was nearing the end of the day when a messenger arrived at the training field.

?Lord Antharrna, I bring an urgent summons to you from the Temple of Lliira. The Dahuanarch has been taken ill, and she requests your presence at once.?

?Very well. Class, you are dismissed until tomorrow. We?ll be practicing the same thing-you will be hitting those targets dead-on with every shot by the time we?re finished with this exercise.?

The students groaned and began retrieving spent bolts and stowing their weapons away. Darian ran a quick eye over things to make sure they were well in hand, and left with the messenger.

The scene at the temple confirmed his worst fears. Julia was in dire condition. She was ancient, for a human, being eighty years of age. But even though she was now but a small, white-haired old woman, he still loved her. Her mind had remained sharp, but her body was inevitably failing. They had known for the past year and a half that Julia was dying. It was the inevitably onslaught of age. Darian himself was barely approaching middle age for his people, but the weight of years was crushing the woman he loved.

She spoke softly, her voice brittle.

?Darian? I do not have long left. *Cough*? the priests tell me that I have contracted some illness or another. It doesn?t matter what. My body? is too weak. I can feel myself fading away.?

Darian impulsively embraced her, his once-guarded composure long gone. But he could feel the lightness in her frame-there was precious little binding her to life. Casting his senses into her, he could feel the infection. She was dead, but somehow clung to life and sanity. Her spirit, which had brought her through Hell-quite literally-still fought, and fought hard. But her body was too weak, worn away by eight decades of battle and intrigue. She had survived so much, done things that many would have considered impossible, but he could sense how each and every one of her eighty-two years of life had drained her. She was dying in his arms.

Tears filled his eyes. He had always known this was going to happen, but he fought against it. Unable to bring himself to say anything, he simply held her, and looked deep into her eyes. But she spoke again, her voice as frail as her body.

?Darian? my love? this is what is meant to be. Time is an enemy that cannot be stopped, and it has come for me at last. This life we have had is like nothing I could have expected, but I would not give it up if I could. Lliira has been good to me, but she calls, and I must answer. Let our children know? I love them very much. And I love you. But this is? good-bye, my love. I have led a good life??

Her words trailed off, and Darian felt her pulse slow. He knew what was happening, and was powerless to stop it. All the clerical and arcane magic in the world could not stop it. She exhaled one last time, and her weak pulse stopped entirely.

Julia was dead.

Darian somehow made his way back to the manor they called-had called-their home. A distant part of his mind opened the door as he walked to the bedroom, a room he had shared with Julia for more than eighty long years. Empty words pounded in his skull, and his rational mind quietly stepped out of the way. First came the sobs, as tears ran like mighty rivers from his eyes. His body was wracked as he wept bitterly. Then the anger came, as the tortured spirit wearing Darian?s flesh screamed and cursed, shouting in terrible anger. His fists lashed out, smashing whatever came into reach. He raged, thinking of nothing but his loss. Then, finally, his rage spent, he simply fell into a corner, his wings enfolding him and separating himself from the world as he succumbed to despair.

In a corner, a broken man surrendered at last to his loss, while a sane mind waited for it to end.

The day of the funeral dawned clear and bright, a mockery of the same day Julia and Darian had wed. A great many people had come, for Julia had been an extraordinary woman-she had left her mark on not just Amn and Faerun, but on the Realms themselves. Already a great statue of her graced the government district, of the bold leader and stateswoman who had reshaped Amn for the benefit of all who might call the realm home. Others came in memory of the fearless warrior and adventurer who had not hesitated to attack evil in its own lair and bring to it justice. But also present were two who had known Julia, the woman. One, sitting in the front row, was a half-elven woman, her features worn with age.

Of all of Julia?s former companions, only Jaheira remained, by virtue of her half-elven heritage. Imoen had passed away seven years previously, and Nalia two years before that. Minsc and Sarevok had both vanished from the face of the Realms-no word had been heard from them in twenty years. Jaheira had wept bitterly at hearing of Julia?s death, but her greatest concern was reserved for the man now approaching the tomb to give his eulogy. He was a winged elf, and a haunted caricature of the man Jaheira had once known. His motions were stiff and mechanical, his face empty. To a casual observer, he might have been a man trying valiantly to stay whole. Jaheira knew better. Darian wasn?t in danger of breaking-he was already broken.

Darian approached the tomb, but seemed unable to find any words. His mouth opened to speak, but all that Jaheira could hear was a dry, broken sob. He stood over the tomb, carved with the likeness of Julia as she had chosen to be remembered-the adventuring woman, fighting evil for the good of all. Darian?s hands traced her stone features, and his tears fell onto the white stone. It was improper in the extreme, what he was doing, but no one would deny the man. Finally, slowly, Darian spoke the last words anyone present would ever hear.

?Good-bye, melamin? good-bye.?

The broken man turned, and slowly walked away, away from Julia, away from the funeral. He took a long look back at the funeral, and continued his walk into the gloom.

One woman present, however, looked at her servant carefully. She regretted what had happened and what was going to happen to him. He did not deserve such torment, and indeed, deserved nothing but her highest favor, and the greatest praises anyone could bestow upon him. But alas, it was not meant to be.

He still had a role yet to play.

#11 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:02 AM

Here is, as promised, about the most directly romantic story I could bear to write. It's short, but I have a hard time writing really romantic content, and I hope y'all enjoy it.

Deepening
Time: Sometime between Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal

Darian couldn?t entirely suppress a smile on his face as he and Julia arose from the meal table. Still in celebration of their victory over Irenicus, the elves of Suldanessellar were preparing for an afternoon dance, though they admittedly needed little reason to strike up a song and begin. Julia?s eyes flickered between the courtyard where the dance was to be held and himself, a grin on her face. Darian?s spirit felt free, free of the burdens of duty. Though the decision he had made the night before was not an easy one, today would be a day of peace.

?Darian, would you care to teach me this dance?? Julia asked.

?Of course, melamin.?

He took her hand and slowly led her through the motions of the dance. Though she lacked the innate elven spirit of the dance and song, her body and motions were finely honed by her kensai training, and she learned the dance readily. She was indeed almost elven in her frame and ease, easily flowing through the motions like a young elf. He couldn?t help but note to himself that she could very easily have been mistaken for an elven woman, if not for her rounded ears and features.

His sensitive ears soon picked up the beautiful melody as the musicians began to play. Grinning, the Avariel and human joined the sylvan elves in motion. For a rare but precious moment in his life, Darian ceased to be a Talon and a warrior of the Menel?Quessir. He was simply an elf, dancing with the woman he loved. Though not quite as agile as the other dancers, Julia kept pace quite well, her kensai training serving her exquisitely. An observer would not have guessed the true nature of the man and woman as they flowed through the dance with blinding speed and precision: they were simply two people, free of duty, celebrating their love.

For her part, Julia was having a wonderful time-the most fun she had ever had. It was her love for dancing that had drawn her to the deadly but beautiful style of the kensai, and the elven dance required every last thought she could muster to stay in step, far more demanding and exhilarating than a battle with even the deadliest of creatures. She laughed and danced, and was thrilled to finally see the man she had slowly come to love be free of his duty, which normally weighed on him like heavy chains. The spirit she had always known existed had burst forth, the side of him that reveled in dance and song, taking sheer joy in the dance. The afternoon was a dizzying whirl of dancing, music, and joy.

After the dance ended, Darian felt a peculiar calm come over him. It was like nothing he had ever felt before. It was? strange? not like the yearning for Julia he had felt while in Myrrhavin, nor his happiness with his family, nor his dedication to his duty.

Is this contentment? He wondered.

His ruminations were disturbed by a playful tap on his shoulder. Julia was motioning him over to a small alcove, but her expression was worried. He followed.

?Darian, this has been a truly wonderful time, but? there are some things I think we need to talk about. I know I was attracted to you from the moment we met, and I think you were attracted to me as well, but? things have happened fast. Me losing my soul, you telling me that you love me, the battle in Hell, you leaving for Myrrhavin? it?s all been a blur. There are? complications? to our relationship, as you know. For one thing? you?re an elf. I?m human. You do know you?ll live far longer than I.?

?I do, and I agonized over it for some time. But? I accepted that pain. I have endured pain before, and I will again.?

?For some reason, I doubt you will be able to endure this pain so easily. You haven?t really said anything about it, but I?m getting the feeling that by falling in love with me and admitting it, you?ve somehow turned away from your heritage and your people. Don?t try to deny it-I know you, and I can tell you?ve made some difficult choices recently. Choices that have to do with me, and choices you didn?t tell me about.?

?You? you are right. My people would not accept you, even though you are a hero. This is nothing against you-you are as worthy a person as I?ll ever meet, but? my people aren?t ready for such things yet. Perhaps they are dying. If they are, then the fate of the Menel?Quessir was sealed long ago. But you have shown me that there is more to life than that. Julia? when I told you I loved you, I forever separated myself from my people. It was a terrible choice, but I made it gladly.?

?As sweet as that is, I?m not sure if I understand. You?ve gone from being perfectly willing to kill me without warning if the safety of your people demanded it to turning away from them entirely to spend less than a century with me.?

?I don?t understand it either, melamin. But I don?t think I have to.?

?You have changed.?

?I would not trade the love we share for all the ages in the world.?

?With an attitude like that, I?m starting to marvel at how lucky I am that you weren?t already married to some beautiful maiden in Myrrhavin when we met.?

?What, and deprive myself of the chance to meet a human woman who keeps driving me completely insane, all the while endearing herself to me??

?Careful, careful. Much more talk like that, and I might start to think you like me.?

They shared an easy embrace and continued to talk for some time. It was the first opportunity they?d really had to explore the depth of their relationship, which had arisen both slowly and quickly. Though they knew they loved each other, they both realized that they didn?t actually know each other all that well, and simply began to talk, speaking of everything about themselves and each other, from their earliest days learning the warrior?s trade to their mutual feelings as their relationship had slowly progressed after meeting. They continued to explore their relationship until the day?s light began to fade.

?What?s keeping you two lovebirds so busy??

Darian and Julia looked up, startled by the sound of Imoen?s voice. She had a demonic grin on her face.

?Oh, don?t tell me you two are so busy staring at each other that you?ve forgotten how to talk to me. Just wanted to tell ya that evenin? meal is about to start. Unless o?course you just want to stay here and cuddle for the rest of the night.?

Julia and Darian both groaned and got up. It had been a blissful afternoon for them, but they rejoined their other friends. However, there was a certain gulf between them and the others, a gulf Jaheira was all too familiar with, and one Imoen and Nalia would come to find in the future: Julia and Darian were a microcosm, a world apart from the others. As deep and unyielding as their love had been before, it was now interwoven with the very fabric of their souls. They ate, talked, and laughed with the others, but now there were glances shared, words unspoken.

After the evening meal ended, Julia and Darian meandered about the city, not paying any great attention to where they were going, courses dictated by the chances of fate that had brought them together. Their wanderings eventually brought them back to the empty residences that had been granted to the adventurers for their stays in Suldanessellar. They shared a deep look, and went together to Julia?s room. No words passed between them. None had to.

More than just lips touched, more than skin, more than anything of flesh.

#12 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:40 AM

Here is the sequel to Divergence, and I feel an explanation of sorts is in order. This is chronologically the last of the Perspectives stories, though I will definitely be writing more in the future, set prior to this. I had also originally intended this all to be one story, but I instead broke it up into a main story and an epilogue of sorts. And in terms of how this all relates to Darian as an actual mod npc, all this is strictly non-canon and outside the scope of the actual mod.

Requiem
Time: Three hundred years after the end of Divergence

Time passed without meaning. Nations rose, fell, and were reborn. To the south, Amn remained the Merchant Kingdom, but it was also a kingdom of hope. Few recalled the cloudy past when one bold voice had shifted the course of the nation for ages to come. It was simply accepted that anyone who might call the region home was welcome. The darker side of politics in Amn was a distant memory-it was still a nation of merchants, but merchants of shrewd honesty. Further to the north, amidst what had once been known as the Sword Coast, civilization blossomed. The thriving metropolis of Beregost rivaled its northern neighbor of Baldur?s Gate in size, and Nashkel was a populous, peaceful city in its own right. Candlekeep stood unchanged on the great cliffs, but inside its hallowed walls, the legend of Julia Antharrna lived on. The tide of years drowned man, city, and nation, but high in the Cloudpeak Mountains, a lone sentinel endured.

Had anyone chanced upon him, they would have seen an old elf, worn and withered by centuries of battle and loss. From his back still grew great wings of purest white, but even they were ruffled, wingbeats coming with ever-more difficulty. He had lived for an eternity high amidst the snowy peaks, and intended to live the rest of his dwindling years amongst them. When blessed oblivion came at last for him, he was content to let his body be picked over by the great bears and eagles he had hunted for so long. None would mourn his passing. He took from them only what he needed to survive, and saw it fitting that he one day return the favor. For him, there was only the constancy of his loss, the enduring faith in his goddess, and the gray reality of life.

He arose from the reverie, now merely a bleak desert of the past. The cave in which he had existed for so long was simple and functional, storing a bedroll sufficient to keep him from freezing in the fierce winters, a simple fire pit, and a small shelf where he stored a simple wooden crossbow and beautiful, hand-made bolts, as well as his other tools. Also present was a small box, filled with paper, and an inkwell. Another soul might have questioned why neither paper nor ink ever ran out, but the old warrior had seen incredible wonders in his time, wonders both inspiring and terrifying. An unending inkwell and stack of paper on which to write did not matter. Nothing mattered. Nothing had mattered for centuries. He didn?t even light the fire-having weathered the elements for so long, the cold affected him not. It matched the cold within.

Reluctantly, he gathered his crossbow, bolts, and knife, and left the small cave, taking once again to the sky. His vision had grown worse with age, but he was still possessed of keen eyes, and soon found a fat marmot browsing for forage. It would be sufficient. He brought himself to a hover in the air, an intense exertion that took its toll on the old elf. But he nevertheless withdrew his crossbow, loaded it, and aimed carefully. His aim hadn?t suffered much at all over the ages, having found hunting to be an excellent way to keep in practice. The marmot died instantly from the shot, a clean and merciful death. The old warrior gathered the corpse, and returned to the cave he existed in. The smell of cooking meat would have been appetizing to some, but it failed to pierce the elf?s loss. He quickly and precisely gathered everything he needed-bone to tip his bolts, meat for food, fur for his clothing, and then scattered the offal to the winds for the scavengers. Nothing went to waste.

It may have been later in the day when he left again, or perhaps the evening or night-it didn?t matter. What did matter was the fragment of a voice carried by the wind. The warrior had known others still traveled through the region-he had carefully avoided all of them. But his hearing was as keen as an elf half his age. He distinctly heard the words ?winged freak?. Age-old memories surfaced, and he moved in closer.

Four rough and unkempt humans were moving through a pass, and in between them was a young winged elf, a child. The warrior listened intently, long enough to learn that they had captured the boy recently, as they entered the mountains, and were planning on selling him to the highest bidder. A tinge of anger rose in the warrior, and his mind went back to old habits. The four humans wore studded leather armor, little different from that worn in his time, and three carried light crossbows, while the fourth carried an odd weapon-the warrior had never seen its ilk before, though he saw what looked like a canister of smoke powder in the man?s backpack. The weapon was plainly a great danger, and probably as much a hazard to its wielder as to the target. The warrior planned his attack carefully.

The rock perch suited his needs perfectly. It gave him a clear field of fire, and was a more than adequate shelter against whatever pitiful marksmanship the humans had. But he hadn?t survived so long without being careful, and was not going to take chances.

Walking through the mountain pass, the slavers had no idea they were about to die. A bottle of whiskey had been passed around, and they yanked the chains to drag the freak along. He would fetch an excellent price, the leader thought. It was also the last thing he ever thought. No sound preceded the impact of the crossbow bolt, which buried itself in his throat. His hand dropped the arquebus, and he fell with a gurgling scream. The other three slavers drew their bows with what under relatively normal circumstances been swift speed. The circumstances were far from normal, as was the aggressor. No sooner had the leader fell than the old elf reloaded, his movements still extraordinarily fast, even if they were still much slower than they had been. He sighted and fired again, a brutal shot that tore through one man?s cheek and through the base of his skull, instantly severing the brain stem. The two surviving slavers looked around in fear of their hidden assailant, but the warrior was too well concealed, even as a third bolt tore through a ribcage and into the man?s heart. Something warm dribbled down the last survivor?s leg, and he abruptly prayed to someone-anyone-for mercy. He received only a quick death.

The old warrior quickly descended from his perch, and approached the winged child, whose face was wracked in fear. He quickly found the key on one of the corpses, and removed the boy?s chains. Around the boy?s neck was a holy symbol the warrior knew all too well-that of Aerdrie Faeyna.

?What?s your name, boy??

The boy looked at the warrior blankly. He frowned and asked again in common.

?I? I don?t have a name.?

?You don?t? What happened to your parents-your family??

?I-I don?t know. I? I think they?re dead. Th-those men c-came for me, in the n-night.?

?Do you at least know where your home is??

?M-Myrhavvin.?

The warrior kept his face carefully neutral. ?That?s a long way from here, child, and winter?s moving in. We?d be caught in a storm. You can follow me back to what suffices for my home until the winter passes. Can you fly under your own power??

?Y-yes. W-what?s your name??

?You may call me Vakha-the guardian. You, I think I will call Fainre-?rescued one? in my tongue.?

The two left the blood-strewn pass behind them. After returning to the warrior?s home, the older winged elf learned what he could. The boy had been traveling with his father to the city of Faeyna?Dail when the slavers had ambushed them. Though the wizard responsible for the divination magics that had revealed them was killed by the boy?s father, the other slavers had managed to kill the father and capture the boy. They had been taking him to a nest of slavers that still existed in Amn, where he would have been sold. With that, the old elf decided that he would care for the boy until spring, then bring him the rest of the way to Faeyna?Dail, where hopefully the boy?s relatives would be there to take him in. If not, he would be raised by the temple.

The past few months had been among the most interesting in the old warrior?s life. Fainre had an insatiable appetite for knowledge, and was the fastest learner he had ever encountered. The boy quickly mastered the elven language, and constantly pestered the man for tales of his adventures. However, the warrior was careful to teach the boy more than just stories, but the lessons that went with them. How the man and his former companions had endured horrific trials and destroyed incredible foes through faith in each other, determination to destroy evil, and plain old stubbornness. The awe with which the lad regarded the older elf?s tales warmed his heart. He also taught the boy much of their people, the Menel?Quessir, and of Aerdrie Faeyna. The boy even joined the old warrior for his prayers each morning-a paragon in the making.

?Vakha, that can?t possibly be true!?

?But it is!?

?That?s impossible! No one?s crazy enough to charge into a hidden lair of a super-vampire and her army!?

?You say no one?s that crazy only because you never met us! Now, don?t get any silly ideas-I was shaking in my boots at the time. Vampires are abominations, Fainre, as are all undead. To be perfectly honest, I?m not sure how I remained sane in that hellhole.?

?But how did you??

?Well, it was mostly my faith in Aerdrie Faeyna. She kept me somewhat intact through feats of madness before, and she did again.?

?But how can you truly know if she was looking after you??

?That, my boy, is what is called faith. If you don?t have it, you can?t understand the explanation. If you do have it, no explanation is needed. And I survived worse things, lad, and survived. How could I *not* entrust Aerdrie Faeyna with all that I am and will be??

?You truly do believe in her, don?t you??

The old warrior just smiled.

Finally, winter passed. The elf gathered his scant possessions, and together, the guardian and the rescued one made their way down and out of the mountains. It was as though entering a prior lifetime for the old elf-he had not been out of the mountains for an eternity. For good or ill, his gray existence was over.

?Halt!? a commanding voice shouted.

The warrior looked around, and spotted the source of the command. It was a woman, wearing heavy armor and carrying a long, viciously curved blade. Oddly enough, he thought he recognized something in her eyes, the way they shimmered with a hidden flame. His eyes narrowed.

?Who are you, and what do you want??

?All you need to know is that I am your death, elf. I am a descendant of the Lord of Murder!?

Memory washed over the old elf.

?Fainre, get out of here!?

?No-I want to help!?

?You can?t do any good, boy-run!?

The boy heard the authority in the older man?s voice, and fled.

?Don?t worry-I?ll get to him soon enough.?

?No, you won?t. You claim to be a descendant of the Lord of Murder??

?I am! I found the old prophecies, learned the old texts! The children of Bhaal may be gone, and the power they had no more, but the blood of Bhaal?s avatar still flows in my veins! That pitiful bitch Julia was a coward! She had it all within her grasp, and yet she turned away from it! And through her blood, there is still power in my soul!?

?Don?t dare to speak to me of Julia, child! I will not let her memory be insulted by anyone, even you!?

?Haha! Let?s see what you can do about it, then!?

The woman drove her blade into the old warrior, and he cried in pain. The wound was mortal, but not immediately so. The assailant wanted him to suffer. But he forced the pain away and found words.

?You silly girl. I knew Julia, and she would be ashamed to learn that you turned out like this! Do you know what her blood put her through, I wonder? She was forced to slay her own siblings, and very nearly was destroyed by her soul!?

?Empty words. I am stronger than she ever was-nothing can harm me unless I wish it.?

?You are wrong. Sarevok and Julia were both people of extraordinary strength, yet they were not strong enough. Sarevok fell, and Julia nearly followed him. I heard the anguish in Sarevok?s voice as he told me of his fall, how foolish he had been.?

?Sarevok? Sarevok did not want his own power??

?No, child. I knew him, as well. He killed the woman he loved in pursuit of power, and it was only through the pity of his sister that he lived again. He was a tortured soul, girl, and was granted a second chance. Do not assume you will be so fortunate.?

The warrior saw his words strike like well-aimed bolts against the woman?s soul. She dropped her blade.

?If Sarevok regretted the choices he made, then? then what is the point of this power? Why does this blood still linger with a dormant power? Why did I embrace it??

The warrior?s vision dimmed. He was dying-would be dead in just a few more minutes. But he had one last battle to win.

?I do not know. But? that does not matter. All that matters is if you will change or not.?

The woman?s eyes were overcome with confusion even as the elf?s eyes at last shut entirely. She addressed the dying elf one final time.

?Who was Julia to you? Who are you??

?Julia? was my wife? I am Darian, Talon? of Myrrhavin.?

Revelation
Time: Unknown

Darian did the last thing he ever expected to do. He opened his eyes.

?Hello again, melamin. You?re a terrible man, to keep me waiting all this time.?

Darian was looking into a pair of green eyes he thought he would never see again.

?Julia?! What happened?! Where am I?!?

?Sssshhhh, my love. We are in Arvandor. Lliira sent me here to meet you.?

?W-what?s going on??

?I think she can explain it far better than I, melamin.? Julia motioned behind Darian. He turned his head, and beheld a woman of extraordinary beauty. She radiated raw energy, far stronger than the energy aura Julia manifested. Had Darian been standing, his knees would have given way.

?Aerdrie Faeyna??

?It is I. And welcome to Arvandor, Darian Antharrna. I am deeply sorry for the pain you have had to endure these last few centuries. But it was necessary-you had a destiny to complete.?

?What happened??

?Only one of my blood could have done all that you have and remained sane, Darian Antharrna. And my son needed the guidance only you could have provided.?

?Your son? Fainre?!?

?Yes. He is the culmination of ages of planning with the rest of the Seldarine. Darian Antharrna, the Menel?Quessir are about to begin their greatest age. Fainre will never forget you or the lessons you taught him. He saw you live your duty to the absolute end. Tales can only go so far, and your death taught him a lesson that could never have been begun otherwise.?

?What lesson??

?That knowledge is meaningless without action. My children have withdrawn themselves from the world, locked into the tower of the past. But no longer. Soon, my children will begin an age of wonders. I regret that you cannot be there to see it. But some things must be. Julia and her blood inevitably brought death to all close to her-even you, her beloved husband.?

?But she didn?t kill me.?

?Not directly, no. But divine blood is a tricky thing. It can sleep for generations until the time comes for it to heed the call of destiny. She may not have driven the blade into you, but your death would not have come if not for Julia. That woman, too, is changed forever-you taught her as well. You were never meant to be merely a warrior, Darian Antharrna. In the annals of history, you will be remembered foremost as a teacher, and my most favored heir.?

Darian?s mind raced as he considered Aerdrie Faeyna?s words.

?A child born directly of a deity need not show any signs of divine heritage. Imoen did not show any hint that one of her parents was a deity. And neither did Aalanris.?

Revelation began to creep into Darian?s consciousness. ?Aalanris? But that-that?s my?-

?Yes. Your father.?

// Note: This does *not* mean Darian is the grandson of Aerdrie Faeyna as a mod character-it's strictly part of Perspectives alone.

Edited by Tempest, 11 May 2007 - 03:06 PM.

#13 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

This is another tale that's rather different from the rest, and testament to the power of a runaway imagination. I had intended it to be an account of the assault on De'Arnise Keep, and to both develop Nalia a bit more and to shed light on the early days of Julia's relationship with Darian. But it evolved into an altogether different story. This is Nalia's tale.

Apotheosis
Perspective: Nalia De'Arnise

?We?ve made it in. We need to find Daleson first, if he?s still alive, then make our way to the courtyard and open the drawbridge.?

The room was dirty and rank, as I had expected. I was about the only one who had ever used the secret passageway, and I recognized my own footprints in the dust. I carefully began removing the old chests and cabinets that hid the door to the next room. They were heavy, but Minsc pitched in, and we quickly revealed the old, hidden doorway. The next room was empty as well, but as I made my way to the next door, I stopped. I could have sworn I heard something.

?Did anyone else just hear something?? I asked.

?Yes.? Jaheira responded.

?I did as well.? Darian added.

I frowned uneasily. The elves? keen hearing had clearly picked up on something.

?Any idea what?? Julia asked, her voice suddenly dropping to a whisper.

?Something?s in the next room. I heard what sounded like footsteps, but they weren?t human footsteps. Too heavy. And it sounded like there was something being dragged on the ground.? Darian reported.

?And there was something else.? Jaheira added. ?Sounded like a man whimpering.?

?Troll?? Julia asked.

?And a servant, maybe. The guards said the trolls seemed to leave the servants alone.? I said.

Julia thought for a moment. ?I don?t want anyone getting killed if we can avoid it, but I want to keep the element of surprise. Nalia, you think you can pick that lock quietly??

?I think so. Auntie always raised hell if she caught me picking locks, so I learned to keep it as quiet as I can.?

?Then be very careful. I want you to pick the lock, and open the door. Minsc, Jaheira, and I will run in and grab the troll?s attention. Nalia, Darian, I want you two to keep an eye on any exits-I don?t want to bring this whole keep down on us.?

?What about the troll?? I asked. ?I didn?t think to memorize any acid arrow spells, and I?m not that good with a bow, even with the fire arrows the Captain gave us.?

?Not to worry-you didn?t really think well-equipped adventurers like us would go anywhere without plenty of ways to set things on fire, did you?? Julia asked with a grin. ?Jaheira has several vials of alchemist?s fire, and she can always summon a flame blade if need be.?

I smiled. As much as I had slummed, Julia and her friends were something else entirely. I hadn?t imagined anyone capable of talking about fighting a troll with a smile on their face, but Julia seemed to thrive on danger and adventure. I had heard the stories, of course, of the turmoil on the Sword Coast and Julia?s role in it, but I never really connected them to the cheerful woman in front of me until I saw that wide grin, and the way she held her sword and hammer like extensions of her arms. One of my father?s former business rivals had been crushed by the trade monopoly of the Iron Throne, but that organization had been nothing but trouble for the De?Arnise affairs.

?Okay, Nalia, show us your stuff!?

Julia?s enthusiastic smile was contagious. I took out my lockpicks, and quietly set to work on the door. I had picked this particular lock countless times, sneaking out of and back into the keep, and the only noise from my actions was a soft mechanical click as the lock opened. I softly opened the door.

The troll was standing right in front of us-a hideous bestial creature, and the reek was almost unbearable. Julia rushed in, with Minsc inches behind her. They immediately engaged the beast, and I drew my own bow and fired. The arrow missed, but a bolt followed it, and the heavier projectile hit. I looked back-the cold elf who had joined the party soon after I was firing methodically, with a frighteningly cold expression on his face. I shivered, and fired another arrow of my own. However strong the troll was, we were more than a match for it, and it went down. Jaheira immediately withdrew a glass vial, and threw it down on the fallen creature.

The sickeningly sweet odor of roast meat touched my nose, and I gagged. But the others didn?t seem as affected-Jaheira had rushed over to the servant cowering in the corner and healed his wounds, while Julia, Minsc, and Darian secured the rest of the room.

In my later years, I would always think back to that moment-it was the moment I really realized that I didn?t quite fit in with them. Not yet, anyway. I hadn?t really seen death before. The people who were fast becoming my friends knew death?s icy touch intimately. I would come to know it, too, in time. I suppose you might call it an epiphany of sorts. Or a loss of innocence. I had been a girl pretending to be an adventurer. But in that dark room in my own home, at that moment, everything changed. Julia had changed me forever, as she did all who crossed her path.

Looking back on it now, it could be said that Nalia Myrisether De?Arnise died that day. I write this now, many years removed from that moment. But I feel that moment still. The woman I am now had been born-the Lady Nalia De?Arnise of Amn. Archmage. Politician. Something beyond quantification. I had become a woman who would one day stand with her friends against entire armies, and unleash devastation incomprehensible to the girl I had once been. I had become a woman whom bards would sing tales of for many generations after my death.

Had I known then what I was destined to become, I would have obeyed my Aunt without hesitation, to avoid becoming what I am now. As a girl, I had been obsessed with the idea of changing Amn for the better. My innocence died a painful death in my soul, but from its death was born wisdom. I bring change wherever I walk, these days. But some, many of the things I have done would have been beyond Nalia?s understanding. I have faced grown dragons and felt my heart keep a steady beat. I have brought nations to their knees, knowing I was doing the right thing. I have stood against beings with the powers of the gods, and proven victorious.

In a dark, ruined store room in a conquered keep, standing and choking over the burnt corpse of a troll, a foolish girl died. And a woman who would reshape the Realms was born.

Edited by Tempest, 16 May 2007 - 12:42 PM.

#14 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

This storm is not yet finished.

Looking-Glass
Time: Eleven years after the end of Throne of Bhaal
Perspective: Julia

Julia frowned uneasily. For the past few days, she had felt an odd tingling, a sensation she hadn?t felt in more than a decade. It was the sensation that had always preceded trips to her pocket plane in the Abyss, now merely a memory. It was omnipresent, staying with her during Council sessions, and at night with her husband. She wondered if perhaps it was an omen, that the events she believed dead and buried were not quite dead. What only made it more ominous was the timing. The month of Flamerule had begun. Eleven years ago, the dawn of Flamerule had been the beginning of the end for the nation of Tethyr at the hands of the Five. A decade removed, and the region had yet to recover.

She sighed, drawing her pen and inkwell as she prepared to write in her journal again. She had never lost the habit of writing, and her journals from the Bhaalspawn Wars had become priceless treasures. Julia intended to will them to her daughter when she came of age.

?Mother!? A cheerful young voice rang through the manor.

Speaking of whom? she thought, a wry smile on her face. Alianna had inherited her mother?s odd but impeccable sense of timing. Julia wondered if her own mother, that bitter, cold woman she had seen in the pocket plane so long ago, knew that her name had been passed on to her grand-daughter, a half-Avariel. Shaking her head, Julia arose and went downstairs.

Alianna was waiting for her. The girl looked more than a little unusual, but the nine-year-old girl was beautiful nevertheless. She had inherited her mother?s red hair, albeit in a much lighter tone, and her green eyes, but the small wings beginning to grow from her back confirmed her father?s blood ran strong as well. Neither Julia nor Darian knew just how much Alianna?s wings would develop, whether she, too, would be gifted with flight, or if they would merely be vestigial. It didn?t matter. Julia scooped her daughter up in her arms.

?And how are you today, my little dove?? She asked.

?I?m fine, mother. You can put me down now.? Alianna responded, indignant.

Julia smiled as she set her daughter down. Alianna had been growing and maturing at a mostly human rate, and had recently reached a phase of not calling Julia ?mommy? anymore. But to the politician, Alianna would always be a baby girl.

?What did you learn at the temple today, dear??

?Boring stuff.?

?What kind of boring stuff??

?The priest kept talking about differences between people today. Differences between people like you and Father and Aunt Jaheira. I asked him if I could leave early, because I?m a half-elf, but he made me stay the whole time.?

?Listen to the priests, Ali. Your father isn?t exactly typical of his people, and aunt Jaheira is a half-elf, too.?

?She looks like an elf.?

?Many half-elves take strongly after one of their parents. You take after me, except for your wings.?

?My wings are useless. Timmy made fun of them today, but he won?t anymore.?

?And why not??

?Because I hit him. Hard. The priest gave me a paddling, but it was worth it. He won?t be making fun of me anymore.?

Julia hastily turned her laugh into a coughing fit, and even then couldn?t keep a smile from tugging at her mouth. Her daughter definitely took after her.

?As much as I should spank you, too, all I can say is: next time, don?t hit him while the priest?s around. Wait until he leaves the room.?

Alianna grinned.

?I did the same thing at your age. Immy-Aunt Imoen to you-had been making fun of me because I liked wearing dresses while she wore pants. Seems silly now, but back then, in Candlekeep, it was a rare girl who voluntarily wore a dress. So one day, after our lessons, I met Imoen outside in the stables. I offered her first punch.?

?What happened??

?She missed by a mile, and I didn?t. Imoen never called me a wimp again, and we explained Imoen?s rather spectacular black eye as her slipping and falling down the stairs.?

Alianna was about to respond when everything suddenly stopped. Julia?s majordomo had been making the rounds, but he had frozen in mid-step. It was similar to what Imoen had described a time stop spell as being like? then she heard a hauntingly familiar voice.

?I greet you once again, god-child.?

Julia turned to face the solar. It was, as near as she could tell, the same one that had guided her through the events of the Prophecy eleven years ago.

?Why have you returned??

?To bring you where you must go.?

?I don?t understand.?

?I will show you.?

The world vanished.

?I greet you once again, god-child. The second of your revelations await you.?

Julia shook herself. She was in the pocket plane once again, and she vividly remembered hearing the solar say those words to her? it was impossible? Wasn?t it?

?I am ready.?

Julia looked for the origin of the voice. Her eyes found a young woman, standing tall. It was Julia? only it wasn?t. This woman was an elf, with skin as pale as freshly fallen snow, and wearing the robes of a mage. Behind her, watching helplessly, were individuals Julia knew? Minsc and Imoen looked just as they did in Julia?s past, but Darian, Sarevok, and Nalia were missing. There was Anomen, a warrior priest Julia had met in Athkatla only briefly-he had offered to join her, but Julia had declined. Viconia, a drow priestess she only vaguely knew. And Haer?Dalis, a tiefling bard she had rescued from a wizard. What were these people doing, accompanying a woman whom, despite sharing nothing in common with her, was nevertheless Julia?

?Good. I hope you have pondered your origin, for any being of great power must know much of themselves before they can put reason to their actions. Let us continue. This time we are not concerned with your past, god-child. Now we will look to your present. The prophecy proceeds towards its climax, as I am sure you are well aware. Your place in this prophecy is what is in question, perhaps. This question will be answered, this once, by yourself??

The solar spoke, and a peculiar sense of disconnection floated across Julia. Memories faded, with strange ones taking their place?

?I? I am Julia, child of Bhaal. Why am I here? Answer me!? she asked.

?You are here to tell yourself of the prophecy and your own place in it.?

Then Julia?s other incarnation spoke.

?I would prefer to find a way to avoid my destiny, if I could.?

?Destiny may not always be avoided. If you are to have a say in which path is taken, listen as you speak.?

Julia finally thought she understood what was happening.

?So this? this is a copy of myself that I address, Solar??

?It is a piece of you. Perhaps from another time, another dimension, but you nevertheless. Speak to yourself of Alaundo?s prophecy, I bid you.?

Julia took a deep breath, preparing herself. The revelation had been harsh on her, and she had no reason to suspect her alternate self would find it any easier.

?Yes, I? I suppose it makes sense. I was once taught of the prophecy in this way myself, wasn?t I? It only makes sense I would do it myself in the future. Listen closely.

?You are the center of the prophecy. But not in the way you think. You bring murder to all you touch, that is true? the ones you hate, the ones you help, even the ones you love. This is part of your nature. But this is not what the prophecy speaks of. The Bhaalspawn shall bring chaos and destroy much of Faerun, but this is not done by you. You have already killed many of the Bhaalspawn who the prophecy speaks of, those who would bring this destruction. You bring death, yes, but it is nothing like what they would do if they were successful. You are here to stop them, Julia. Whether you intend to or not, you exit to prevent the prophecy from becoming true. The prophecy warns of your failure, not of you.?

Julia tensed, wondering what her alternate self?s response would be.

?That is a relief. I have no desire to cause the destruction the prophecy speaks of.?

Julia smiled and, as another Julia had done long ago, offered one final warning.

?I felt as you do once. Brace yourself for what comes next, Julia, I?ll tell you that much.?

With those final words, the pocket plane dissolved, and Julia abruptly found herself back in her home, and was for a moment saddened. The copy of Julia that had told her of the prophecy? was she, too, a proud mother and leader? Or was she something else entirely? And had her tutor been a good person? Just how many copies of Julia had existed in all of eternity, under different names, pursuing different paths? how many had been warriors of righteousness, and how many had embraced her heritage? How many Darians were there, steadfast warriors on a collision course with destiny? How many had met a Julia and found peace and happiness away from his own people-an impossibility, or so one might think. How many did a Julia spurn, leaving to find a different path? How many never met a Julia at all? How many Imoens knew the comfort and strength of a strong and able sister? How many?

?Mother, are you all right??

Julia looked down at her daughter. Her daughter.

"I'm fine, dear. Just a moment of infinity."