Photo

Fanart Challenge deadlines - vote what you think!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the Challenge time constraints? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the Challenges stay open for submission indefinately, and not close after one week?

1. No deadlines! They make participating difficult. (3 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

2. Doesn't matter to me. I always participate/I never participate anyway. (1 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Keep the deadlines! The challenges loose their meaning if the deadlines are removed. (9 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:01 AM

I've been thinking about the time constraints and deadlines of the Fanart Challenges. Since the system is new, it must have some flaws. Are the deadlines one of them? I'm throwing the ball at you, people, and give you the power to decide if we'll change the system or not. Here's some brainstormage from me.

At the moment the system works so that each challenge is open for one week, from Friday to Friday. After the challenge is closed, you can't submit any more drawings to that challenge, and that can cause problems. We all have our personal lives that naturally come first, so everybody might not have the time to participate even if they want to. Also even time differences can be a problem. When I close the challenge usually around Friday afternoon, the day has barely begun in the States, and the folks there are still snoring happily in bed. Also if you ever doodle a random drawing of for example Jaheira, it's easy to submit it to her own challenge topic any time you want to. It's also easy for people who want to see drawings of Jaheira - they just go and browse her topic, and there they all are, and not scattered around Layers of Reality.

What I personally found an interesting aspect of the challenges was keeping the statistics, and seeing who are active and have drawn a lot. Even though the challenges are not contests, they still might work as a motivation. "Omg vilkacis has drawn THAT MUCH! I have to catch up with him!" :D But then again, my personal life got in the way and I haven't had the time or the energy to update the statistics... :whistling: My point here is that if you open the challenges again and remove the deadlines, keeping stats is really hard because every once in a while (or atleast so I hope) people will be adding drawings to the challenges.

Making the challenges deadlines open would of course make participating and even browsing easier. Then again the challenges would loose their contest-like nature and there wouldn't be any "pressure" to draw something. People would think, "Oh, Jaheira, I like her, I might draw something of her one day..." and so the challenges won't get any submissions.

What do you think?

Edited by Ilmatar, 22 May 2007 - 11:33 PM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:06 AM

Keep the deadlines, but maybe extend it to 2 weeks? :)

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:24 AM

I wonder what the point of second option is. Presumably, if someone is not interested, she wouldn't vote, no?

Since to me predicate "deadlines" means "no submissions in the future", and "no deadlines" means "possible submissions in the future", I tick the first option: I like more pictures.

#4 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:26 AM

Lose the deadline, but make a post marking the official end of the challenge period. Easy enough to count entries above that post.

I had wanted to participate in a previous challenge, Irenicus and Bodhi, but I didn't, because life exploded on me that week. I didn't want to start another thread just to announce that I'm a terrible procrastinator and can't meet deadlines, even if it's true, so I just let it drop.

Even if you started another thread for late entries, it'd still be kind of discouraging to be on it. A lot more subtle just to tack your submission onto the original thread and walk away whistling.

Edited by berelinde, 19 April 2007 - 02:52 AM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#5 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

I agree with Liam - although I'll probably never participate anyway...

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#6 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:30 AM

As I pretty much will never submit anything my vote is a minor one. That said.

(I rather like a deadline, simply because as said it provides an end to the challenge and gives motivation to actually do something.

That said B has a good point, and real life can explode on you for a week, or sometimes even more.

Personally I agree with Kae that extending to two weeks might be a good idea.)
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#7 Menelanna

Menelanna
  • 3006 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:25 AM

i also agree. Keep the deadlines but just extend it a week. I wanted to partcipate last week but life would not let me. So yeah, an extra week would allow people to work around RL to be involved in this.
Steel is my body, fire is my blood.
I've created over a thousand blades
Unknown to death.
Nor known to life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
So as i pray, "Unlimited Blade Works."--Archer from Fate/Stay Night

Posted Image
Signature done by Sinharvest. thanks!

Interested in great fanstay Role Play? Come join Imythess the Border Between Dreams and Choas.
(should you join feel free to contact me. my main account it Fara're. hope to see you there :D)

#8 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

Got enough deadlines IRL. Don't want any more.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#9 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

Gotta admit, the deadline is a good motivator, so I'll throw in my support for a 2-week span if it'll help get more submissions. Beyond that, it'll stop being a "challenge"...if that's what you still want it to be.
(I like parentheses.)

#10 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

One week is too short for me. I started to draw something for every single challenge so far, but never got around to finish something. Two weeks might be better.

#11 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

"Omg vilkacis has drawn THAT MUCH! I have to catch up with him!" :D

Y HALO THAR. :P

Eh, I dunno. If it's a challenge, it should probably have a deadline. (It's not very challenging otherwise.) However, it might be a good idea to make it easier to post previous-challenge-related art without creating a whole new topic of your own, too. (...I certainly wouldn't create a new topic to show off my MS Paint stick figures.) Keeping the topics open but not counting late entries as "completed challenges" sounds good to me, as does extending the deadline. (I'd still like to see a new challenge every week, but there's no reason they can't overlap.)

Another idea could be to create a topic for "late challenges" where people can just post anything related to earlier challenges ("this is my late entry for challenge #666, 'Irenicus pin-up poster OMG NO MY EYES ARGH ARGH ARGH'...")

...either way, my participation in the Jaheira topic is uncertain. <_<

#12 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

Keeping the topics open but not counting late entries as "completed challenges" sounds good to me, as does extending the deadline. (I'd still like to see a new challenge every week, but there's no reason they can't overlap.)

Yeah, that feels the wisest solution. Everybody here has had some really good points, thanks for voting and commenting. I didn't exactly expect this much attention to this poll, but it's a good thing you guys stormed this place. :D Now that there are already that many votes for keeping the deadlines, and that most of those who have commented have liked the idea of extending the time to two weeks, I actually could do that in tomorrows new challenge - or maybe even add one extra week for Jaheira, since we MUST have an entry from vilkacis. :D What is a challenge without an entry from you, hmm?

Another idea could be to create a topic for "late challenges" where people can just post anything related to earlier challenges ("this is my late entry for challenge #666, 'Irenicus pin-up poster OMG NO MY EYES ARGH ARGH ARGH'...")

Now THERE's an idea for a challenge.. :devil:

But anyway, I have some 12 hours to decide wheter to continue Jaheira's challenge for one week more, or make a new challenge with a 2-week deadline. :blink:

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#13 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

I agree with Vilkacis. I don't really care about the "challenge" anyway. I'm not even remotely competitive. I just don't want to have to start a new thread. I'd as soon have only one topic, tho.

Edited by berelinde, 19 April 2007 - 02:31 PM.

berelinde's mods

#14 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

What is a challenge without an entry from you, hmm?

...less silly? :whistling:

O well, guess I can't escape. Posting entry RIGHT NOW~

Now THERE's an idea for a challenge.. :devil:

And I warn you, I'll bleeding well do it, too! :new_bottom:

and i suppose i should be very happy that i didn't type "hot anomen/keldorn yaoi" which would otherwise have been my first option for #666

#15 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:05 AM

Okies, then, I'm about to start the seventh challenge (because vilkacis actually did participate in the sixth one :cheers: )and I've drawn to this conclusion.

1) Keep the deadlines, but extend them to two weeks.
2) When the deadline has come, I'll make a post stating that the entries coming after this aren't counted in the stats.
3) Late entries can be and will be posted in the topics themselves to make browsing easier. If you want to see Jaheira, you go to her topic and there they all are! Late entries will not be counted to the stats, so that gives motivation to participate during the challenge itself.
4) New system starts today, with the seventh challenge. Gasp!

Thank you, everyone, for voting and telling what you think. I'm sure the system will be a lot better now, thanks to your help in brainstorming it. :)