Challenge #1: Dread and Despair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

Critique is welcome, accepted, demanded, begged for, [insert other verb of desire/want]. Hope you enjoy.

First entry dance! Posted Image

Dread and Despair
A Beginning

Spellhold belongs to me, as it has some time. I merely write it again so that what small pleasure it brings may trickle in my hollow shell once more. The experiments on the other incarcerated have been going well, and I may yet find something useful from some of them.

First is Dili. She is but a child, but she has an interesting aptitude for shapeshifting. So far she has received the most tests, for should the spawn come early I wish to be prepared.

After our last experiment she tried ?taking my face? as she calls it, shifting into me. It was then that her use became apparent. I of course had to ensure she didn?t try such again, and since that time she spends no more than a minute in any one shape, before continuing to another. With only a few more tests I should be able to understand how she does this, and perhaps replicate it for use when the child comes for his precious Imoen.

The previous coordinator is of no more use. I?ve withdrawn every secret of this place that he knew, and he has been left intact in body, though not in mind. I?ve no more use for him; he can dwell in the cells with the others.

Third, the gnome, Tiax. The mad priest of a mad god is of little use to me, save for his knowledge of the spawn. It is difficult to withdraw the information, between his delusions of grandeur, and his silly demands that I obey his every whim. After our next session I suspect he will be more open to discussion.

If not, then there is Dradeel. He too has met the spawn, though it is only of great chance that I came to learn of this. It has to do with his time spent among the wolves that he constantly mutters over. There is also some Golodon the Unmanned, whom he speaks of fearfully, but he is unimportant thus far.

As yet it seems I can gain only limited information from him. The spawn was stranded on this werewolf island of his, where he got caught up in local hostilities and was infected with lycanthropy. An interesting note, as I have failed to detect such an infection in my previous experiments. Tomorrow I plan to speak with Dradeel more on the spawn's condition.

Next is Naljier Skal, fifth subject. Though once a bard of some renown or somesuch, he was lost when he searched for what lie beyond the gods themselves. Apparently they, or whatever was beyond, did not like him looking. His research could be useful, though I have no desire to move into that which is beyond the gods, yet.

Aphril is another seer. She too searched beyond what she should, though hers is not as blessed an existence as Skal?s. I?ve been unable as yet to experiment with her full range of abilities, nor determine precisely how she came upon them, but I intend to study them more fully in search of potential applications in my plans.

And finally Imoen. I have resumed our experiments, and she is proving responsive; she will be ready when my sister comes. She is evincing herself more powerful than I had first believed, and she might even come to rival her sibling?s power, were the power to be left to her.

Bodhi reports that our agent is still within the spawn?s company and that they seek the aid of the thieves. However she seems confidant that she can persuade the spawn to accept her assistance; we shall see. It is a minor matter, but I would desire that he seek aid from her.

I have few preparations left before the spawn comes. I will return when I have finished readying Imoen, and perhaps I will have more knowledge of how to make use of the other inmates? abilities.

Edited by Kellen, 12 May 2007 - 06:34 PM.

"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#2 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:35 PM

Sounds like Irenicus alright, planning in detailed and considering all aspects. He's sounds alot more logical that I thought he is - I always thought he's insane or somehow twisted.

#3 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:06 AM

The way he seems to be thinking sounds more arrogant, if not logical. I think Irenicus was indeed somewhat insane, but even in his original journal pages he had his calmly thought out moments...though you did see the occasional frustration in them.

Well done. :)
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#4 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:11 AM

Sounds like Irenicus alright, planning in detailed and considering all aspects. He's sounds alot more logical that I thought he is - I always thought he's insane or somehow twisted.

He may be insane, definately twisted, but everything he did had a logical reason as well. Or maybe I'm just stretching it. I always thought he was very logical though.

The way he seems to be thinking sounds more arrogant, if not logical. I think Irenicus was indeed somewhat insane, but even in his original journal pages he had his calmly thought out moments...though you did see the occasional frustration in them.

Well done. :)

Aye he did get frustrated occasionally, but I am one of those that believe it takes intense something to make Irenicus feel emotion. Throughout the game, by the end, I think he only considered you slightly annoying.

But who knows. Maybe I'll just chalk it up to artistic license. ;)
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#5 DalreïDal

DalreïDal
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

Hey, I didn't notice you finally posted this :) Nice final result... I'll go check the 2nd chapter now!
"I set on this journey trying to understand why has metal been stereotyped, dismissed, and condemned. My answer is this: if, listening to that music, you don't get that overwhelming rush of power that makes the hair stand at the back of your neck, you may never will. But you know what, it doesn't really matter. Because, judging from the 40 000 people around me, we're doing just fine without ya." :) Cheers! And two horns up for metalheads all around the world!

#6 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

Heh. I was waiting for a reason... :whistling: