Photo

Challenge #1: One last little secret

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:50 AM

Ok, here goes - thanks to you all, I felt the urge to scribble something down again - Did become a bit of a rush job - believe it or not - but the cd I plugged in when startint to write is playing it's last song as I type this little introduction. - Judge it as you would a one-day NPC ;) I hope it is somehow in character - but I had no means to check his actual in-game dialogues so things might be a bit off.
Hope you like it - at least I had some fun writing it.

Don't listen to what they say; No, do NOT listen! They tell of madness, of terror, of screams, terrible screams and all-consuming insanity. But I am not mad! I am not like them, I will never be like them; my subjects, my objects of research, my playthings... But whatever HE does, I will not be like them; do you here me? Never! I am NOT insane.

Yes, I screamed and I do still scream ? But wouldn?t you? Wouldn?t you during endless hours of torture, pain and agony... oh, the agony. And he does know how to torture, I tell you, he does know... And constantly these prying eyes, questions, than pain, questions again. ?What is the purpose of this room, Wanev??; ?What is this object used for, wizard??; ?What have you learned from the girl, fool??; ?Do you feel the pain, Wanev?? Questions, always more questions. He must stop with the questioning! I can?s stand it anymore, I can no longer bear it! I want no more questions! I want no more pain!

Screaming again, am I not? Yes, I do scream. During the torture, before, afterwards ? But the others do too when he is doing... things. But they are insane and I am not. Even the new girl screams often, and she isn?t insane either... not yet. So I scream ? just as you would in my place ? but you would not retain your sanity, no you wouldn?t - I am sure of that.

The girl. HE came with her, you know. She was a pretty uninteresting subject really. A wizard of some power, yes, but otherwise ? just a girl, a girl of little interest. But I must have overlooked something ? at least he claims I did ? something about the essence, he says ? the blood, the very soul of the girl is somehow tainted ? and I overlooked it. He mocks me... regularly... I will make him pay for that. Soon I will make him scream. Yes, I will make him scream too!

But right now it is I who scream ? and sometimes I blurt out nonsense like they do, giggle like they do, do things like they do, talk to myself like they do ? just like right now ? But I am not insane ? I may act like I am, but I am not. Nothing but a clever disguise to trick HIM! Yes,hehe, nothing but a cleaver disguise. Years of experience observing them, watching their every move, registring there every utterance ? Of course I know how to mimick them!

But sometimes I get really scared, my friend. So scared ? no insanity, but... things get confusing sometimes ? And everything seems to be nothing more than one hazy blur. Sometimes I really think I am loosing grip ? Than I think I am still in charge ? that I am doing the tests ? that I am in control of everything ? but I not, I know I am not! He is! By all the demons from the outer plains, HE is! ... And it scares me, it scares me so much ? more than the prospect of more torture, more mocking questions, more scorched flesh, twisted limbs or razorlike thoughts and questions carving their path through my brain ? Am I becoming like them? Am I growing insane? Is HE slowly crushing you, Wanev?

No! I am NOT insane ? I am certain; absolutely certain... because HE doesn?t know everything! I haven?t told him everything ? Through pain he learned about every little room, every deadly corridor, every devious trap ? but the secret, that one little secret is still safe. Tucked safely away, cleverly concealed ? impossible to find ? even for his prying eyes. And believe me or not, this secret holds the greatest power.

Come now, my friend, draw real close and let me tell you of this little secret ? but don?t tell him ? promise Wanev not to tell him anything ? You won?t tell him? He is your enemy too? You hate him more than everything else too? Very good ? Shhh... Take these and read carefully... What? No, of course you do not understand ? these are coded, cleverly coded indeed ? I need precautions, my friend, careful precautions - He may not know! ... No? Still nothing ... Shhh... you know, one is five, yes, one if five ? substract four, yes ? and this one, yes, one is three ? Shhh... Clever isn?t it? ... So, now you understand ? Yes, that is the secret, my last little secret ? Remember. Keep the pantaloons! Always keep the pantaloons!

Edited by Thauron, 11 May 2007 - 10:37 AM.

#2 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

Your writing here reminds me somewhat of Poe's The Telltale Heart. This is by all means a compliment, as I love that. But the style, and how he constantly reasserts that he is, in fact, NOT insane, well I love it.

And for checking in game dialog may I suggest Infinity Explorer. Those at Spellhold start with a PP I believe.

But anyways, a fantastic piece, and character is good and good so far as I see. *Nods* Good, good.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

Nice tale - I'd like to see more of your writing.

(That's the only kind of tale where I can't comment on punctuation being lax - because it is actually *in character*). Well done.

#4 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

Hey, good shot at the challenge and good writing. =)

Btw, can you edit your topic title and put 'Challenge #1' in front? That'll help us sort the challenge entries when future challenge runs. Sorry for the trouble.

Edited by Celestine, 07 May 2007 - 11:58 PM.
grammar fixes

#5 Thauron

Thauron
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

Hey, thanks for the compliments.

Kellen, I am more than familiar with editing BG - problem is either I have a PC with internet, but no installed BG - or no internet but installed BG (Hopefully that will be fixed soon - curse the one who invented wireless internet!). I wrote this little piece without any BG resources near.
A comparison with Poe is a nice compliment indeed, especially if one's writing is being compared with The Telltale Heart - one of his very best.

Somehow most of the things I write end up like this - either one massive train of thought, a monologue of a list of diary fragments - more traditional writing feels often like a chore to me - you constantly need to add things in between the parts which are truly fun to write - while with this I can just let things go as they pop up in my mind - or is it just me, trying to mask a seriously defective knowledge of proper grammar and punctuation ;)

Updated topic title - no trouble at all.

#6 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:29 AM

Beautifully crazy style. :). I love the way it gets right to the heart of the topic.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain