Belles of Candlekeep

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:00 AM

The Belles of Candlekeep are Imoen and the maincharacter Jaina. They are both rogues, witty and silly but generally helpful and kind. Personally I have always wanted the game to show more emotion - how lost, confused and sad the player character, in my case Jaina, must have felt after Gorion's death, or how devastating but all-explaining it was to read Gorion's letter back in Candlekeep, or what kind of a huge party the band of adventurers threw after finally revenging Gorion and stopping the war. Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal is filled with similar, potentionally emotinally powerful moments but they just don't come through. So I wanted to write a fic for myself, where I could really plunge into the reality of the world, the characters and the plot. I was actually pretty surprised of how stressing and dark the beginning of Belles came out, but I definately plan on having fun and making it more light hearted. :)

I am really unsure of this fic and showing it to anyone. I am not a native speaker of English, and I haven't written Baldur's Gate fanfics before.

I should also mention that I have been greatly influenced by Laufey's Edwin Romance Mod, so later on into the fic Edwin will play a big part, too. :) I'd say that this isn't only a fanfic for Baldur's Gate, but also to the Edwin Romance mod. :wub:

Rating around G - PG-13.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Illustration for chapter

Chapter 1: Shadows in Candlekeep

?What are you planning for tonight, Jaina?? the tall but old man in grey robes asked the young girl.
?Finish the book on Amn, I think. It?s been boring as hell, so I?m looking forward to getting it out of my hands. Why?? Jaina answered.
They were walking up the stairs of the Keep. The man looked tired, and had worry lines between his eyes. His gaze was dark when he glanced at the young, dark haired girl.
?My child.. I do not want you to worry needlessly, but I would be relieved if you stayed in tonight. Finish the book and go early to bed, and don?t go running around with Imoen.?
?What, why? Dad, is everything alright?? Jaina gently grabbed the man?s arm when they reached the next floor. ?You?ve been really quiet and distant lately, like something was really worrying you. What is it??
The man looked at his child, shaking his head and taking her hand into his. ?I told you not to worry. Now go. Goodnight.?

The old man patted the girl?s hand, then let go, turned and walked away to his own chamber. Jaina looked after him with a thoughtful pout, but soon she, too, turned and continued upstairs to her own small chamber. The room was quite simplistic with one bed, one big closet, and a desk with a wooden chair. Then again Jaina had lived in that very same room for all her twenty years, so it definitely looked like a young woman?s room. The curtains were violet with a flower pattern, and the blanket on the bed had the same pattern. There were several stuffed animals on the bed, and she had named all of them. The closet was filled with clothes (though most of them were old, too small and/or ugly, she thought vainly), and there was jewellery on the corner of the table. Otherwise the table was covered with books and papers that she used for studying.

Jaina sat on her bed and glanced at the heavy book lying on her pillow. History of Amn, the cover said with fancy decorated letters. Jaina sighed, grabbed the book and started reading from where she had left.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Gorion sat on the chair in front of his desk. He glanced over his shoulder to make sure the girl had not followed him ? she could walk surprisingly silently, and she loved spooking and startling people in the usually quiet library ? and pulled a letter out of his grey robes. He opened it carefully, and sweeping his long, light grey hair away from his eyes, he read the letter with worried eyes.

He sat quietly for a moment, deep in his thoughts. Jaina was an intelligent young woman, but she was mischievous and headstrong. If she wanted to go out tonight, she would. This only meant that he would have to make arrangements. If Jaina would not go early to bed tonight, neither would he. The letter that now lay on the desk in front of the old mage only confirmed what he had already guessed. Candlekeep would very soon be ? if it already wasn?t ? infiltrated by assassins.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Two hours later Jaina turned to the very last page of the dull book, but didn?t have the patience to actually finish it. The girl sat up on the bed, brushed her long, dark hair with her fingers and yawned. She glanced through the small window of her room ? the sky was turning orange and pink. Sun would soon set down to the sea. Like almost every night she would meet Imoen on the western walls to watch the sunset, but now Jaina felt unsure. Gorion had known about their after dark meetings for a couple of years already, but this was the first time he had actually told her not to go. Why now? Why not four years ago when she and Imoen were caught for the first time? Why not when there were dashing young mage students visiting Candlekeep?s library? Tonight was a very normal, quiet night of the sleepy little Candlekeep. There was nobody special visiting, no handsome young mages, no famous heroes, not even merchants. But Gorion had told her not to go specifically tonight.

Jaina stood up and leaned to her desk, looking out the window. The sky and the sea were almost seamless - both were of delicious pink and orange colors. Dark violet and blue were drawing closer from the east and the sun almost touched the horizon line. Imoen was probably already waiting for her by the wall.

Jaina quickly nodded to herself, sat down, and took her small mirror from the desk drawer. It was a funny thing, being a young woman. Even though this was a very small village built around a huge library, and even though there was really no one interesting around, she still always had to have her hair and bangs on check and lips balmed. Her father got never tired of blaming both her and Imoen of being superficial and silly, but somehow the girls felt that acting like they were somewhere else than Candlekeep would actually take them somewhere else.

Jaina stood up and looked at herself. She was wearing black knee-length pants, simple brown shoes and a violet top. She grabbed a brown cardigan from her closet and pulling it on she sneakily peeked out of her room. One old priest was just coming up the stairs. Jaina pulled back to her chamber, and waited patiently for the priest to go to his room. Then she tip-toed to the stairs, listening hard if someone was coming, and sneaked down. With 20 years of experience she knew that the third step from up and the fifth from down were creaky, so she automatically stepped over them. She held her breath, moving as quietly as possibly past Gorion?s room, and continued all the way down.

When Jaina had gone, Gorion stepped out of his room, looking grimly after his headstrong foster daughter.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

?Where were you?!? Imoen hissed and helped Jaina up on the wall. ?You almost missed it!? she said and nodded towards the horizon. The girls leaned on the wall and enjoyed the last moments of the sun.
?Sorry, but Gorion was? weird. He told me not to come,? Jaina explained.
?Why not?? Imoen asked surprised, but Jaina just shrugged.
?You know? he?s been really odd lately. Remember how he didn?t even blink when Tethtoril blamed me of pinching his empty potion bottles the other day??
?Yeah! And he just smiled when you admitted you had done it! Honestly, it was one of the scariest moments of my life. Maybe he?s losing it?? Imoen suggested, but Jaina poked her with her elbow.
?Ouch!? Imoen yelped and poked right back. ?Well whatever is going on with Gorion, it was still good that we got those bottles.?
Jaina stared at Imoen just when the sun vanished behind the horizon, leaving the sky and the sea pink and violet. ?Good? You call that hangover good??
?The night was fun, wasn?t it? if a little short on my part. Blame Jondalar, he brewed the damn.. what ever it was!? Imoen said defensively, but laughed with Jaina.
?Yeah, what ever it was, it was *way* too strong for anyone! Especially for you,? Jaina snickered and sat down on the wall.
Imoen sat beside her, looking hurt. ?Well you still had the worst hangover! Just what you deserved, I says.?
?No one deserves a hangover like that,? Jaina muttered bitterly. ?So, what are we going to do tonight??
?Don?t know!? Imoen answered and headed towards the ladder. ?I did save us some pumpkin pie from the tavern, though!?

The girls climbed down the ladder and headed towards the tavern, following the wall. Night had fallen over Candlekeep, and lights shimmered in some of the windows. It took some time for the girls? eyes to get used to the darkness by the wall, behind the houses, but they both knew every inch of Candlekeep by heart, so they could have walked all around it blindfolded. Cool grass tickled Jaina?s bare ankles as she followed her red-headed friend, sliding her hand on the smooth stone wall to her left.

A black crow glided in the air above them, and landed on the tavern roof, just above the backdoor and watched the girls approach.
?Hiya, Earl,? Imoen said to the crow before she entered the tavern. ?You?re always around, eh!?
?Would you like some pumpkin pie, too, Earl?? Jaina asked the bird and went in right after Imoen.

The crow that the girls had named Earl a long time ago was not interested in pie. His attention was now drawn to a barely noticeable shadow that had followed the girls all the way from the ladder. The shadow stopped by the corner of the tavern, and slowly took the shape of a slender man, dressed in black and wielding a dagger. The man hesitated, but decided not to follow the girls in. He was about to turn and sneak into a better place to keep an eye on the tavern exits, but could not take more than two silent steps before a strong hand grabbed him by the collar and pushed him on the ground. The man tumbled and rolled skilfully around and faced his opponent.

He was a tall, fearsome man with long light grey hair and long grey robes. He glared at the assassin with dark eyes from under his brow, and spoke with a quiet, yet powerful voice.
?You have this one chance to back out and leave Candlekeep right now, and never go after my foster daughter again,? Gorion warned him.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

?I wonder if he?s ever going to make any other pies than pumpkin,? Jaina mumbled with her mouth full. ?I mean, this is really good, but it gets a little dull when you?ve been eating it for ten years, you know.?
?He used to make apple pie, though ? wow, whatta hell was that?? Imoen jumped up from her chair to the window. There had been a very bright flash of light and some strange sounds. Both of the girls peeked out of the window but saw nothing.
?Maybe it?s just thunder?? Jaina suggested and finished her piece of the pie.
?I don?t think so,? Imoen said, looking uncertain.
?Let?s go and check it out.?

Jaina and Imoen went out the same way they had come in, and sniffed the air.
?Hey look,? Jaina pointed towards the corner of the tavern. The grass was black and burned in an area no bigger than one square metre. The dark haired girl knelt beside it and touched it carefully with her fingers. ?This wasn?t here when we came in.?
?That is so weird. It couldn?t have been a lightning struck, there was no rumble. Just some weird.. thumps,? Imoen muttered.

Earl was still sitting on the roof, looking at the girls curiously.
?Did you see something, Earl?? Jaina asked the crow, standing up. As expected, the crow did not answer.
?Maybe it was just a? pissed off priest walking by, shooting holy lightning bolts from his fingertips,? Imoen said and shrugged.
?Maybe. Well, what ever it was, it?s gone now,? Jaina looked around thoughtfully.

The girls gave up investigating and went back inside. Imoen left a piece of the pie crust on the stairs for Earl, who descended from the roof to gulp it up after they had gone.

Behind the corner, in the shadows, stood Gorion with a black, man-shaped lump at his feet. When the girls had gone back in, the mage sighed sadly and looked at the body of the assassin. He was the first of many, Gorion knew, and could think of nothing else but the letter he had received earlier, and the safety of his dear girls.

Edited by Ilmatar, 29 May 2007 - 11:14 AM.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#2 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Illustration for chapter

Chapter 2: First Blood

The following morning Jaina woke up like usually, around 8 am. She lingered in bed for some ten minutes, savouring the warmth and softness of the bed, but she forced herself to get up. She washed herself quickly, brushed her long, dark brown hair and had a fierce fight with her bangs. Eventually she won, and the bangs settled down on her forehead the way she wanted them. Jaina put on black, comfortable pants, a violet top, and brown shoes.

Jaina was a slim young woman who had developed a somewhat generous set of feminine shapes. She and Imoen both had had the luck of getting nimble fingers, fast reactions and good skin. Imoen?s hair was refreshingly bright red and her skin was relatively light, but Jaina looked like she originated from Amn or maybe from the eastern parts of Faerun, since her skin was of a natural olive shade and her eyes and hair were both dark brown. They both looked slightly exotic living just south of Baldur?s Gate, but they had an explanation for it. They were both orphans, and did not know much about their parents. Gorion had become a father figure for both of them, and it felt as if the small community of Candlekeep was their family.

Jaina left her chamber to get some breakfast before class. When she was going down the stairs, she heard Gorion calling after her from his room. Jaina turned around and went to see him.
?Morning!? she said cheerfully but when she saw Gorion?s grave expression, her smile melted away.
?You are awake, good,? he said and tapped the girl on the shoulder. ?Listen, something has come up. Today you will not be attending your class.?
?Say what?? Jaina asked looking startled. ?No class? Why not? I mean, not that I?m complaining...?
?We will be leaving Candlekeep as soon as possible.?
?Leaving Candlekeep? How long are we going to be away?? Jaina was taken back by these new plans, and had trouble believing what she was hearing. She had spent her life mostly studying in Candlekeep, and had never really travelled anywhere else.
?This? will be a long journey. I will explain everything to you in good time, but we must go tonight. Here is some money. Get what equipment you need for the road ? I believe Jondalar and Hull and the others have taught you to fight. It would be good to get something you could defend yourself with.? Gorion pressed a small purse on Jaina?s hand. She looked inside it, and it had a good amount of gold in it.
?Fight? Why would we have to fight with anyone? Just where exactly are we going?? Jaina looked up at her foster father and stuttered out a series of confused questions. Gorion simply patted her back with his hand and looked at her gently. ?The roads are not safe for anyone, my child. It is better to go prepared. Now go and take care of everything you must before the night falls, and say goodbye to your friends.?
Jaina stood there, staring at Gorion with big brown eyes. ?Goodbye? You mean.. what about Imoen? When will I see her again? Can?t she come with us??
?I?m afraid not. She will have to stay here. I am sorry, Jaina, I know this is very sudden, but you have to understand that this is very important. We must go tonight.?

Gorion ushered her out and to take care of her business. Jaina wandered to the library?s dining hall and sat there alone, nodding absent minded good mornings to the priests.

She had wanted to travel for years and see all the cities she had read so much about. She wanted to visit all the big cities and travel far and beyond ? see the desert of Anauroch, freeze her buttocks off in the Icewind Dale, sail all over the Sword Coast, swim in Moonsea, shop in Waterdeep, sunbathe in Halruaa... She and Imoen had dreamed of travelling and seeing the world, but of course they loved Candlekeep. It was home. It was all they knew. What really made her moody was having to say goodbye to Imoen. She was her best friend, practically her sister. They had known each other for as long as they could remember. They were the Belles of Candlekeep, the Menaces of the Library, the Tricksters of the Keep. Jaina had never spent a day apart from Imoen, and the thought of leaving her behind made her nauseated.

Jaina did not eat much, and left the library soon. She walked through the inner garden and passed the five chanters, chanting in harmony already early in the morning. They were reciting the same old verses, ?something something so sayeth the wise Alaundo.? To tell the truth Jaina knew the whole verse by heart when she really pinched her memory, because the chanters had recited it for as long as she could remember. The men?s chanting was a familiar sound to her, one that she felt was an important part of Candlekeep. Now that she knew she was leaving, she stood around and listened to it for a while. The verse didn?t really mean anything to Jaina, and she didn?t care about the words. It sounded nice, and somehow homey.

After a while Jaina continued to Winthrop?s tavern. The man went on with his old bad jokes, but Jaina joked with him, like always. Then she explained she was going to leave Candlekeep with Gorion tonight, and that she needed some equipment. Winthrop admitted he had heard of these plans already, and had put aside a crossbow, some bolts and a light leather armor for her. Very recently both Imoen and Jaina had asked Jondalar, Eric and Hull to teach them to defend themselves, just for fun. Jaina had liked the crossbow and made a few successful hits with it, and Imoen had picked up short bow. They had tried them a few times just for laughs, and had never shot at anything else than the practice targets. Still Jaina felt that if she was going to have to pick one weapon to defend herself with, it would be the crossbow. She took a dagger, too, just in case, and paid for all the equipment.

?So where?s Imoen?? Jaina asked Winthrop before leaving.
?She went out to do some chores before class,? the man replied.
?Okay, thanks Winnie,? Jaina said with a smirk, and left quickly before Winthrop could protest ? he hated that nickname the girls had given him.

Jaina turned left outside the inn and started to walk around the Keep clock-wise. She wanted to smell the air of Candlekeep and have a chat with all her friends and teachers before night would fall and she would have to leave. Today Jaina gladly helped out anyone who needed it ? she searched for Phlydia?s book and agreed to get medicine for Dreppin?s cow. She wandered towards a house that served as the priests? quarters. She went in to check if Parda, one of her teachers, was in, but she found someone else entirely. A strange man she had never seen before in her life was standing by the fireplace. The man turned to face her, and seemed to recognize her.
?Uh, hello? Who are you?? Jaina asked and held her newly shopped items close to her chest. The man smirked in a very unsettling manner and walked slowly towards her.
?Who I am is unimportant, but who you are is very much so,? he said.
That man is no priest, Jaina thought. She felt a strange tingling feeling around her neck ? the whole situation was very suspicious and made her muscles tense unconsciously. When Jaina answered, she tried to get her hand closer to the dagger?s handle. ?What do you mean with that??
?I apologise for this dirty bit of business, but I must seek your death. A pity, for you are? such a pretty girl. But it would seem your head is worth an exceptional amount to me. I kill you myself and I need not share credit with anyone,? the man explained conversationally, and suddenly attacked towards her with a dagger.

Jaina ducked backwards away from the blade and threw the equipment she was carrying towards the attacking man. It didn?t slow him down for long, but long enough for Jaina to get a good grip of her dagger and back away from the man. He gave Jaina no time to escape or think ? he pressed on again. Jaina ducked backwards once again, but her back hit the wall. She stumbled on the ground trying to duck yet another swing at her, but this time the dagger tasted blood. Jaina got a long cut from her collarbone to her shoulder, but luckily it wasn?t deep ? just enough to get her yell out in pain and wet her shirt with blood.

Jaina grinded her teeth and rolled around, trying to get up. The imminent threat to her life and the pain from the wound made her heart pound harder in her chest and adrenaline flow in her veins. As she got up from the ground she blocked another attack with her right arm and hit the man in the side with her left fist. The assassin obviously did not expect her to actually fight back, and as his concentration faltered for a moment, Jaina gathered her strength and struck her dagger under his armpit in the intoxicating adrenaline flow.

Jaina backed off quickly and expected the man to follow and attack her. She stared at the man fall to his knees, coughing and groaning in pain. Jaina finally realized that her dagger?s blade was covered with blood that was dripping on her own hands too. She saw the man fall down on the floor as if in slow motion, and she felt dizzy and breathless. The strange man lie on the floor face down, and an almost black pool of dark blood started growing around him. Jaina panted and felt the room spin around her. The bloody dagger slipped from her fingers and clunked on the floor. She fell on her knees beside the man and saw her own, shocked face from the blood pool.

Jaina was unsure of how long she had sat there, staring at the man. She had carefully tapped his shoulder, but got no response. Then, with shaking hands, she tried to feel his pulse, but felt nothing. He was really dead. She had killed him. The man?s eyes were still open, and she could still see the horror of death in them.

What happened? Who is? was? this man? Why did he want to kill me? How did he even get in to Candlekeep? And how? what was that feeling? That horrible feeling I got when I fought him and plunged the dagger into him? Almost like something took over me and guided me?

Jaina held her wounded shoulder, but her hands and body shook, and tears fought their way to her eyes and cheeks. They felt hot and salty in her eyes, and soon she wept uncontrollably, unable to understand what had happened and why.

After a while she realized she could not just stay here. Maybe Gorion knew what this was all about. Jaina gathered her equipment and tried to wipe the blood from her chest and tears from her face. She left the house quickly, but bumped into Parda only a few steps away from the door.

?Jaina, my dear!? the old man called out and saw the wound and the marks of tears. ?By the gods! What has happened to you??
Jaina swallowed the tears and sobs that Parda?s worry were arousing, and shook her head. For some reason she didn?t want to tell the gentle old teacher what horrible things she had just faced and done.
?Oh no, I?m.. I?m okay!? she said and forced a smile.
?But you are wounded!? protested Parda who saw right through Jaina?s lies.
?Oh this.. it was just the cat. Vicious cat. Probably had a bad day. You know. Shouldn?t have petted him,? Jaina kept on explaining even though she knew Parda did not believe a word he was hearing.
He looked at the girl from underneath his hood, held her by her arms gently for a while, and said, ?Oh my dear.. You should go and talk with Gorion. Make haste, you cannot stay here any longer.?

Jaina hurried away and returned to the inner garden. She passed the chanters and met Gorion on the steps of the library.
?Dad!? she sobbed out loud and threw herself right into his arms. Gorion embraced his daughter but soon pushed her to an arms length away from him to take a look at Jaina. He needed only to see the wounded shoulder and the teary, swollen eyes, and he knew what had happened.
?S-someone attacked me! Here! In Candlekeep! Someone wanted to kill me, and I have no idea why!? Jaina stuttered and sobbed. ?And, and.. And I killed him! He?s dead! I killed him!?

Gorion wiped tears from Jaina?s face and looked at her with sad eyes.
?I am just glad that you are alright, Jaina. The wound does not look too bad.?
?But why.. how..?
?Candlekeep is no longer safe. That is why we must go. Gather yourself, Jaina. You did well to defend yourself. It was a good thing you had bought the equipment, but you really should wear the armor, too.?
Gorion?s gentle, fatherly voice calmed Jaina down a bit, and she was catching her breath and wiping her tears.
?Go and tidy yourself up. We will leave as soon as possible. Meet with me when you are ready.?

Jaina went inside and climbed the stairs up to her chamber. She cleaned and bandaged her wound and changed her shirt. She put the leather armor on the shirt, and since she didn?t really like the design of the armor she put on a black jacket to cover it up. She took her brown belt that had a golden buckle and fastened it over the jacket, and changed her brown shoes to black worn boots. Then she brushed her hair and put it on a high ponytail and arranged her bangs. For a while she thought if it was wise to keep the large golden earrings, but she decided that if she was going to face the world, she might as well do so looking pretty.

She found an old backpack and packed what ever she thought she would need. Soap, mirror, change clothes, water bottle, and so on. She also found an empty diary from her desk. She had never learned to keep a diary, but now she decided it was time.

Jaina sat down and turned to the first page of the diary.
?Today I killed a man,? she wrote. Somehow she felt that was the starting point to something. Then she shortly wrote about what Gorion had told her, and how she would miss Candlekeep, and how she wished Gorion would already explain all of this. Then she packed the journal to her backpack, and proceeded to wander what to do with the crossbow and the bolts. She decided to carry both of them on her belt, since her back was occupied with the pack. What money she had left she put in a small pouch that she also attached to her belt.

She left her backpack to her room, but took her crossbow with her. She wanted to meet with Imoen and a couple of others before leaving, but she did not want to walk around unarmed anymore.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Later in the afternoon Imoen roamed around the library, looking for Jaina. Imoen had heard of Gorion?s plans of leaving Candlekeep in the evening with Jaina, and Imoen was anxious to drown Jaina with questions. However, she had not seen her friend all day ? Imoen?s teachers and Winthrop said that Jaina had to take care of business and get ready for the journey, and that?s why she had not attended class. Imoen felt a little left out of the loop, but she was certain Jaina would explain everything. The only problem was that she could not find her. Imoen wondered if they had already left, but when she walked past Gorion?s room, she noticed that he had not yet packed.

Imoen stopped by the door, and sneakily glanced over her shoulder. There was no one else around, and Gorion was out, too. Taking a little peek would not hurt anyone?

She sneaked into the room and looked for some clues of why Gorion was suddenly dragging Jaina on an unexpected journey. She saw nothing interesting on the desk, so she carefully checked the first drawer, and saw a letter designated to Gorion. Imoen could not resist the temptation, so she opened the folded letter within the drawer, and read a few lines before she heard someone moving on the stairs. She quickly folded the letter, closed the drawer and tip-toed out of the room and went down the stairs like nothing had happened.

What she had read from the letter got her worried, though. It had said something about Candlekeep not being safe anymore, and about some friends in a place called Friendly Arm Inn. Imoen was pretty sure it was a keep to East from Candlekeep. She wondered what it meant ? Candlekeep was not safe? Safe how? Who was endangering whom?

Outside the library she finally met Jaina. Imoen got a little startled by her equipment ? she was wearing boots and a jacket, and carrying a crossbow.
?Hiya, heroine!? she said. ?What?s with the crossbow??
Jaina?s expression was oddly stressed and occupied. ?You won?t believe what happened to me in the morning, and now again just a while ago.?

The girls sat down in the garden, by the water pools and Jaina vented everything out to her trusted and beloved friend.
?Wait wait wait!? Imoen stopped her after a while. ?You?re telling me that you?ve *killed* two men only *today*?!?
Jaina looked at her with a painful expression. ?I?m just as blown away by it as you are.?
?Wow.?
?Yeah.?
?Why would they want to kill you??
?I have no idea. And who were they? How did they even get in??
?Hasn?t Gorion told you anything??
?Nothing. And get this ? I have no idea when I?ll see you next!?
Imoen and Jaina looked at each other in silence for a while. Then Imoen suddenly hugged Jaina tight.
?Be careful, Jay.?

The pool?s water behind them reflected the image of Earl the crow who sat on the inner wall, looking at the girls with black, beady eyes.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#3 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:07 AM

Chapter 3: Farewell, Gorion

Imoen woke up early when the sun?s first rays flickered through her curtains. She got up and looked at the sleepy Candlekeep through the window. Imoen sat on the windowpane in her pyjamas, and yawning scratched her head making her red hair even messier than before. She looked at the backpack lying on the floor beside the short bow and arrow vine. Then she looked back out of the window and thought of all the daily chores with Winthrop, and boring classes alone without Jaina?

?Screw this,? she said and stood up.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Not more than fifteen minutes later Imoen closed her backpack in the tavern kitchen after stuffing bread, pie and fruits in it. She wrote a note to Winthrop:

Can?t stay. Sorry. Love you,

XOXO Imoen

Then she grabbed her backpack and her bow, lifted her hood to cover her head, and left before the rest of the Candlekeep had even woken up.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

It didn?t take long for the sneaky girl to get on the other side of the wall. She hoped the guards were more concerned about someone coming in than going out, since she had no trouble dodging them. Before she knew it, Candlekeep?s thick walls were behind her and the woods in front of her. The sun was slowly climbing up from the horizon and the birds were singing all around her. She could hear the ocean?s waves hit the cliffs more clearly here than inside the walls. The morning was beautiful, but somehow she felt unease. The same feeling had been wallowing in her stomach since the moment she saw the letter in Gorion?s desk.

Imoen walked along the path towards east. She hadn?t been outside Candlekeep that many times, but she knew the surroundings somewhat well. The only way Gorion and Jaina could have gone was this very path, but just when Imoen started to think she might not catch them any longer, she reached the edge of the clearing in the woods that had rite stones set in the ground in circles. The sight that welcomed her there left her breathless.

Imoen?s father figure, tutor and teacher, dear old Gorion lied on the ground in the middle of the clearing, surrounded by the bodies of two ogres. Without a second thought Imoen hurried to him, knelt beside him calling his name.
?Gorion! Gorion please answer me...? she kept calling when she was turning him around. Soon she finally realized it was no use. Gorion was dead. The next thought hit her so hard she jumped back up on her feet.
?JAINA?!? she shouted. She searched the whole clearing but saw no one else ? not her dear friend, nor the ones who evidently killed Gorion ? besides the dead ogres, but somehow Imoen felt proud that even if Gorion had been killed, he had managed to take some of his attackers down with him.

A million horrifying ideas of Jaina?s fate filled Imoen?s head. She kept searching for Jaina going further and further away from the clearing until she came to the road. She wondered if she should follow the road or keep searching in the woods, until she saw someone sitting under a tree down by the road. Imoen immediately recognized the figure as Jaina, and started running towards her.
?Jaina!? Imoen yelled, and Jaina looked up at her. She stood up right when Imoen threw herself to hug her.
?You?re alright!? Imoen sighed holding her friend tight. ?You?re alright. Are you alright??
Imoen pulled back from Jaina and looked at her. Apparently she was not badly wounded, but she had dark shadows under her eyes.
?You have no idea how good it is to see you, Immy,? she smiled weakly.
?Yeah, I had to follow you. I couldn?t let you go on your own, especially after I saw the, um, letter in Gorion?s room. I took just a teeny tiny sneak peek at it, and since then I had this horrible feeling that something bad would happen.?
?Well, something bad really did happen?? Jaina gave a humourless chuckle, and her dark eyes looked troubled.
?I know, Jay, I? saw Gorion. I?m SO sorry!? Imoen hugged Jaina again, and her eyes filled with tears.

After a while of sobbing together, Jaina told Imoen what had happened last night. There had been a band of people, ogres and one tall, big man in a black armor. He had asked for Jaina, and Jaina alone. Gorion had refused, told Jaina to flee and died sacrificing himself to save her.
?I don?t get it!? Jaina sobbed. The girls sat under the tree that sheltered them from the warm morning sun. ?Why me! Why would anyone be interested in me enough to kill!?
?We?ll figure it out, Jay,? Imoen said and squeezed her hand.
Jaina looked up at Imoen and felt her friend?s reassuring expression comforting.
?Yeah. We?ll figure it out. Gorion would want us to see this through, not hide away and sob.?

With new strength the girls picked up their gear and decided to go and say the last farewell to Gorion.

Standing beside Gorion?s lifeless body, holding Imoen?s hand, Jaina realized how easy her life had been so far. It had been so safe, simple and happy. She had lived in a huge library, spending her days doing chores and studying, pulling pranks on Winthrop, and spying on handsome mage visitors with Imoen. She had been so carefree and innocent, but now it felt as if her innocence and carefree nature had been torn apart. Suddenly yesterday two men had tried to kill her, but dumb luck and some strange inner instinct had saved her, making her the killer instead. The third man had been after her, too, and once again she had been spared from a grim fate, but at the expense of her own father.

?We can?t just leave him here,? Jaina said after a moment of silence. ?But we have to.?
?What? But it?s Gorion! We should go back to Candlekeep and?? Imoen protested but realized that what she was suggesting would be in vain. ?We can?t get back to Candlekeep anymore, can we.?
?Nope. But this is a good place to leave him. The rite stones, you know,? Jaina said and knelt beside Gorion.

The girls carefully moved Gorion to lay on his back and crossed his arms on his chest. Jaina was horrified by the stiffness of his limbs, and his lifeless, grey face. She brushed his grey hair away from his face with her fingers, and checked if he was carrying anything important. She took his money pouch, his dagger and finally found a letter from his robes.
?Hey, that?s the letter I saw in his desk drawer yesterday!? Imoen noticed.
Imoen moved to sit beside Jaina, and together they read the letter.

My friend Gorion,

Please forgive the abruptness with which I now write, but time is short and there is much to be done. What we have long feared may soon come to pass, though not in the manner foretold, and certainly not in the proper time frame. As we both know, forecasting these events has proved increasingly difficult, leaving little option other than a leap of faith. We have done what we can for those in thy care, but the time nears when we must step back and let matters take what course they will. We have, perhaps, been a touch too sheltering to this point.

Jaina looked at Imoen, who shrugged.
?Is it some kind of a rule that you have to talk in riddles and never say names or explain anything?? Jaina muttered and continued reading.
?Looks like it is a rule. Look, ?the other side? ? whatta hell does that mean?? Imoen said and pointed at a line in the letter.

The other side will move very soon, and I urge thee to leave Candlekeep this very night, if possible. The darkness may seem equally threatning, but a moving target is much harder to hit, regardless of how sparse the cover. A fighting chance is all that can be asked for at this point.

?Well we have something. Jaheira and Khalid. Gorion mentioned them last night, before the attack,? Jaina said when they reached the end of the letter.

Should additional assistance be required, I understand that Jaheira and Khalid are currently at the Friendly Arm Inn. They know little of what has passed, but they are ever thy friends and will no doubt help however they can.

?Think we should go and meet them?? Imoen asked. ?And besides, who is ?E? anyway??
?No idea. This letter was as useless as they get!? Jaina said with a pout and folded the letter. She put it with Gorion?s dagger into her backpack. ?But we should go to Friendly Arm, because that?s all we?ve got. No other clues and nowhere else to go.?

The girls spent a few more minutes beside Gorion?s body before leaving.
?I wish you had told me more, dad,? Jaina whispered. She was silent for a moment, and then leaned over him, pressed a kiss on his forehead and said, ?but thank you for everything. I love you.?

#4 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:07 AM

Chapter 4 - Two Hundred Coins of Gold

Jaina was distractedly humming a song while she was walking on a cobbled road in the forest with Imoen.
?We need songs,? she finally said to Imoen.
?We need someone who can actually sing,? Imoen answered with a tortured expression.
?Oh come on. Singing is supposed to make working and travelling and life easier.?
?Or a lot harder to bear.?
Jaina ignored Imoen?s snarky complaints. ?I have this song stuck in my head but I can?t remember the words. Do you??
?I think Eric and Jondalar used to sing that. It had dirty words.?
?Dirty? So how come you don?t remember it?? Jaina smirked at Imoen and got a poke to her side from her.

?Ho there wanderers!? they suddenly heard an old man?s voice. ?Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man. It's been nigh unto a tenday since I've seen a soul walking this road, and I've been without a decent conversation since.?

The girls stopped when they saw an old man approach them. He had long white hair and beard, and was dressed in a red mages robe and had a red pointy hat. He carried a staff, and when the man reached the girls, he stopped and leaned on the staff.
?Travelling nowadays appears to be the domain of either the desperate or the deranged; if thou woulds't pardon my intrusion, might I inquire which pertains to thee??
Imoen blinked, trying to wrap her mind around what the man had just said, but her friend answered immediately.
?At least not deranged, but then again loonies never see themselves as crazy, right? We lean towards desperate, but we have a direction where to go, so I believe we can handle our situation,? Jaina answered him with a firm voice. ?A little assistance would be appreciated though ? might you know the way to Friendly Arm Inn??
?That I would. The Inn is but a shert distance to the north, and it's doors are open to all,? the man nodded and pointed towards the general direction of the Inn. ?I have no doubt that thy friends shall be there, waiting with open arms. My sympathies for any hardships the road may have inflicted upon thee, though I am certain everything shall turn out for the best. My, but I have wasted too much of thy time and said too much already. I shall take my leave and wish thee all the best.?

All of a sudden the man walked past them and left. When Jaina and Imoen turned around to look after him, he was gone, vanished in thin air when he should have been only a few meters behind them.
?That was Elminster,? Jaina said with her right brow raised in a confuse expression.
?Yeah! Imagine it, we?ve been out of Candlekeep for less than a day and we?ve already met Elminster! He was just like he was introduced in our books,? Imoen grinned.
?Elminster?? Jaina repeated. Then she suddenly realized it, and turned towards Imoen. ?By the nine hells! E stands for Elminster! He wrote to Gorion, and was waiting for him here!?
Imoen?s eyes widened when she, too, realized it. ?Ooh why didn?t we get that any sooner! That?s why he said, ?my sympathies of any hardships, yada yada yaa,? ? she comically imitated Elminster?s voice.

Jaina turned to look back at where he should have been, but had vanished. ?Great. More mysteries and still no answers.?

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

The half-elf pushed her empty plate away from her and leaned back. Her husband gulped down the rest of his ale and also leaned back with a satisfied smile on his face.
?Wh-what a good meal, wasn?t it, m-m?dear?? he stuttered with a friendly sort of voice.
?Mm. I have eaten worse,? the woman answered.

The half-elven couple sat in a table near the counter in the Friendly Arm Inn. It was a busy night, as usual, and the big tavern was full of people. The woman was quite beautiful, with blonde, wavy hair. She was wearing a leather armor, and her staff was leaning against the table. She looked like someone close to nature, like a ranger or a druid. Her general expression was somewhat stern, and she seemed like someone who would take care of herself no matter what. Her husband, on the other hand, had black hair and a black beard, and was wearing a chainmail armor. His helmet was on the corner of the table, his shield was beside him, and he carried a long sword. The man looked like a friendlier sort than his wife, like he still believed that there was some good in everyone.

The woman looked around the Inn with an inquiring look on her sharp face.
?Still no sign of Gorion,? the man said, guessing what she was looking for.
?I hope he did leave last night, like he should have,? she answered.
?I?m s-sure he did, but he can be quite adv-adventurous sometimes. He?ll be here.?

A moment later the couple noticed two young girls rush into the tavern. They slammed the door harder than would have seemed necessary and quickly ran away from it. The first one had dark hair and was wearing black clothes and carried a crossbow, and the other one had oddly bright red hair, wore a magenta outfit and carried a short bow. They couldn?t have been older than 20 years.

The half-elven woman snorted seeing them rush in in such an impolite manner, and paid no more attention to them.
?Did you see th-those girls?? the man asked her. ?They look alarmed. And li-like they are looking for someone.?
?Silly young girls running about. Nothing to be worried about.?
?Well, if you say so- -?

?Hi ?scuseme are you JaheiraandKhalid?? the dark haired girl startled the couple by rushing to their table panting hard and talking like the building was on fire.
?I am Jaheira and this is my husband Khalid. Now what - -?
?FanTASTIC, ma?am! Nice to meet you but we haven?t got much time, you see I?m Jaina and my friend over there- -? the girl pointed at the red head who had stayed in the middle of the tavern, apparently to keep an eye on the door, ?is Imoen, and Gorion told me to find you, and I really really need your help right now!?

The half-elves stared at the girl.
?You are Gorion?s daughter?? the woman asked and looked around. ?But he isn?t here? Then he must have fallen. I am very sorry to hear this.?
?Yeah I know but you see - - ? Jaina began talking awfully fast again, but Imoen?s yell interrupted her.
?Jay, our pal is here!?

Jaheira, Khalid and Jaina all looked towards Imoen and the door at the same time, and saw an angry mage walk in, with his hand in his belt pouch obviously about to cast a spell.
?He?s trying to kill us, please help?? Jaina quickly said what she had been trying to say since she dashed to the couple?s table, and grabbed her crossbow and took a bolt from the vine on her belt.
?Wh-why of course we?ll help Gorion?s ward!? Khalid announced before Jaheira could say a thing.

The half-elves stood up and grabbed their gear. By that time Jaina had ran back to Imoen, and the two of them continued towards the door making a lot of noise.
?Sorry, ?scuse me, coming through, about to get killed, make way!? Jaina and Imoen yelled together as they rushed through the people in the tavern. Luckily most of the customers were smart enough to make way and take cover from two girls yelling with weapons at the ready.

The attacking mage drew his hand from the pouch holding spell ingredients, and began reciting the first words of the spell, but Jaina threw herself side first right at him. She tackled the man, and the mage?s spell was broken and he fell down, while Jaina landed staggeringly on her feet. She and Imoen passed him in a blink of an eye, yelling and laughing.
?Going to fight in the tavern, are you! How rude!? Jaina scolded the mage. ?Didn?t your mum teach you anything?!?
?What does his mum know anyway ? she didn?t even know his father!? Imoen laughed running outside right after her friend.

Jaheira and Khalid were halfway through the tavern to the door. The woman was rolling her eyes and snorting at the wild, noisy girls. The attacking mage got up on his feet and followed the girls outside, with Jaheira and Khalid right on his heels.

The girls had ran down the stairs to the yard. When the mage came out readying another spell, Jaina launched her crossbow, but only scratched the man. Imoen had better luck with her bow ? she hit the mans hip only a blink of an eye after he had shot a spell at Jaina. Right when the spell hit her, immobilizing and freezing her to the position she was in at the moment, Khalid came out and swung his sword at the mage.

Even though the attacker now had an arrow in his hip bone, he still parried the first attack only proving he was no novice in battle. However, in his pain he did not notice Jaheira crouch behind Khalid, and when she suddenly appeared beside her husband, the mage did not have time to react before she stroke him hard into the face with the tip of her staff. The mage fell down, and was finished by Khalid.

After a moment of silence during which everyone subconsciously checked they still had all the limbs intact, Imoen shrieked in joy in the yard.
?WHOOO TEAMWORK!? she jumped up and down laughing, but suddenly stopped when she turned towards Jaina. ?Oh crap.?
Jaina was indeed held by the mage?s spell, and could not move a finger or even say a word. Her other foot was up in mid-air, and her hand had frozen in the way to get another bolt. Her face was held in the expression of surprise of the spell about to hit her.
Jaheira was coming down the stairs to Imoen and Jaina.
?She was hit by the Hold Person spell. It will not last long, and she will be free and unharmed in a moment,? the half-elf explained.
Imoen nodded and bit her lip, obviously holding back a cutting comment about Jaina?s current condition.
Khalid also came down the stairs, and when he reached the ladies in the yard, a guard approached them.

?Evening!? he greeted the group and eyed at the girl held in an odd position. ?Is everything alright? We saw the man attack you but didn?t get to your help before you had already taken care of him.?
?Everything is alright, thank you. Young Jaina here got hit by a spell but is unharmed otherwise,? Jaheira replied before Imoen could even open her mouth.
?Good. Can you explain why he attacked you? Violating the neutral zone isn?t taken lightly around here.?
Imoen stepped up right away. ?We?ve no idea, but for some reason people have been wanting us dead. He wasn?t the first guy trying to kill Jaina here.?
Right then Jaina staggered free from the spell. ?Ow! Was that annoying or what!? she complained..
?Are you alright, miss?? the guard checked from her now that she was able to answer for herself.
?Physically yes, but I but my ego is severly wounded and whining like a little girl.?
The guard gave her a puzzled look, but shrugged it off. ?I think that was the same wacko mage who has been hanging here, pestering and scaring the locals. We saw that he was the one who attacked you, so don?t worry. But don?t go causing any more trouble in Friendly Arm, understood??
?Yes sir!? Jaina and Imoen replied bravely.

The guard called one of his colleagues to help him carry the body of the mage away. Meanwhile Khalid handed Jaina a letter.
?I f-found this from his body, it may sh-she-shed some light on the matter,? he said with a friendly smile.
?Ooh, nice. Well spotted,? Jaina said and opened the letter. Her expression changed from thankful to confused when she read the very first line.
? ?Bounty notice?,? she read aloud. Imoen peeked at the letter over her shoulder while Jaina read it.
? ?Be it known to all those of evil intent, that a bounty has been placed upon the head of Jaina, the foster child of Gorion. Last seen in the are of Candlekeep, this person is to be killed in quick order.? ?

Jaina looked up from the letter at her new allies, Jaheira and Khalid.
?Well this certainly explains something. That mage was the fourth one who wanted to kill me. Unfortunately though?? she sighed and continued, ?last night the third one didn?t get me, but Gorion. He told me to run and find you.?
?Gorion often said that he worried for your safety, even at the expense of his own.,? Jaheira spoke quietly and sadly. ?He also wished that Khalid and I would become your guardians, if he should ever meet an untimely end. However, you are much older no, and the choice of your companions should be your own.?
Jaina blinked in surprise. ?I had no idea. He never talked of you, or of? anything outside Candlekeep,? Jaina said. ?But I would appreciate it if you two would join us. Both me and Imoen have never really been outside Candlekeep, and we really could need some help and advice.?
Khalid nodded. ?We could t-travel with you until you get settled; help you find your l-lot in life.?

Jaina and Imoen glanced at each other and then at their new friends. ?Thank you,? Jaina said.

The group decided to go back inside. Night had fallen over the Sword Coast already an hour or two ago, and the girls were tired after a rough night and a long walk ? or occasionally run, whenever a wolf had decided to put them on the menu. Jaina took another look at the bounty notice when they were climbing up the stairs.

?200 gold!? she suddenly shrieked and stopped.
?What?? Imoen asked and came to take a look at the letter, too, to see what Jaina was staring at.
?They?re paying 200 gold for my head!? Jaina pointed at the letter. ?You get one stinking spell scroll with that amount of money!?
?Rude!? Imoen shouted out.
?Humiliating!?
?Insulting!?
Khalid chuckled quietly at the display the girls were putting up, but Jaheira?s angry gaze silenced him.
?Do not be silly, girls,? she scolded them. ?You are lucky it isn?t any more than that. The toughest and best bounty hunters will ignore a deal like that, and you get to face those you could actually have a chance of beating.?
?But it is a matter of principal!? Jaina protested. ?I am worth a lot more than that. Besides, if we get the price go higher and more people interested in the deal, we might also get a bigger chance of finding out who exactly is after me, right??
Jaheira only rolled her eyes, but Imoen was with Jaina.
?Totally! So what should we do??
?If you want to get attention, you might as well try and help people,? Jaheira said with a defeated sigh. ?Come inside, I have a proposal.?

#5 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

Chapter 5: Ardent Arguing

Part 1 of Unlikely Couples: Jaheira and Khalid.

Sure, they?re both half-elves but I think it is the only thing they have in common. I admit I just met them last night, but our discussions have given me some impressions of them. Apparently Khalid is a warrior, but as we went hobgoblin hunting today around Friendly Arm Inn (I got to practice shooting and I think I?m getting better. We also retrieved one ring for some chick who just promised to say good things about us ? like that helps us to buy more arrows or fix our armors. I should have kept the ring, damn it) he seemed all freaked out when he was fighting. I almost expected him to apologise to the hobgoblins for killing them. Otherwise he is very friendly and kind, and does not want to step on anyone?s toes. His stuttering makes him even more sympathetic. A good old chap, I?d say.

Jaheira on the other hand? She is a druid. She goes on and on about nature and balance and squirrels and what ever, but she knows some handy spells. Now, if Khalid is like a warm sunny day, Jaheira is like the darkest night of the year. That?s how different they are. Jaheira?s very stern, and she talks with an accent and a tone that makes her sound very sharp and humourless. I think she sometimes means to be sarcastic, but she only comes off as.. well, insulting. In a way I admire her ? she?s a very strong willed woman, smart and wise and capable. But she is cold and arrogant, too. I hope these are just first impressions ? maybe she grows on people, and I get used to her. She and Khalid were my father?s friends, and it was Gorion?s will that I?d travel with them, so I will try my best to keep my temper with Jaheira.

Last night Jaheira and Khalid suggested that we go south to Nashkel. There has been lots of talk about the iron shortage ? that news even reached Candlekeep before we left. There?s something going on in the Nashkel mines. All iron that comes out is laughable ? and dangerous. I had a pretty tight spot today when the dagger I bought in Candlekeep was shattered into pieces right in the middle of a fight. Now I?ve got a black eye, but I guess I should be happy nothing worse happened.

The whole Coast seems to be all messed up otherwise too. The people at Friendly Arm have been talking about hostilities with Amn, and of increased banditry. Some roads have been cut off because of bandits. Strange stuff happening. Well, at least I can?t say I wouldn?t have anything to do. I refuse to sit on my hands and watch everything go to hell, so we?ve decided to make our way to Nashkel to sniff around.

Jaheira pressures me that we should go there right away, but I don?t think it?s wise. Me and Imoen are still in our baby shoes with everything, so we have decided to spend at least a couple of days roaming around the surrounding forests, practicing and taking it easy. Beregost isn?t too far away, either, so we might go there tomorrow or the day after.

Jaina closed the journal after writing a couple of pages. It was evening, the sun had just set beyond the horizon, and the group of four had made camp south of Friendly Arm Inn. Khalid had made a fire, and Jaheira had given Jaina and Imoen a lecture of how to camp properly. Most of it the girls had already known ? they weren?t upper class bimbos from the city, but two hard working girls from a small village.
?What?s up, raccoon?? Imoen asked from Jaina, making fun of her black eye. ?Did you write a novel or something??
?Yes. This tells the epic tale of the heroine Imoen and her sidekick Jaina,? the girl answered her.
?Ooh, heroine Imoen! But I?d rather be your sidekick, you know.?
?Yeah right.?
?No seriously. Like today when we were fighting those hobo goblins, you were like? a war general, shouting commands and all. And everything went really well. I wouldn?t know how to do that. Besides, you always do the talking anyway, and have bigger boobs, so you?re definitely heroine material in my books,? Imoen explained.
Jaheira shook her and snorted listening to the girls talk, but Jaina ignored her to avoid arguing.
?Why can?t we both be heroines? You can be the Braiding Officer and I can fight for better bras for all women on the realms,? Jaina suggested smirking, and came to sit in front of Imoen, with her back turned towards her.
?Braiding Officer reporting for duty!? Imoen announced, got a brush from her backpack and started brushing Jaina?s hair.
She quickly made one neat braid for her. This time Jaina noticed Jaheira?s curious look, and explained, ?Since we were like six years old??
?Five,? Imoen corrected.
?Five years old, we?ve always braided each other?s hair every night. Nowadays Immy?s hair is a little bit too short, but she still wants to braid mine.?

?Y-you two are c-cl-clearly very close,? Khalid said with a gentle smile.
?Frankly Imoen is an over energetic pain in the ass,? Jaina said, turning to face the fire like everyone else.
?And Jaina is a superficial wiseass,? Imoen said. Neither of the girls smiled which confused Khalid.
?Look who?s talking! You?re always flirting with all even remotely handsome men around.?
?Oh yeah! Well you drool over men in skirts!?
?At least I don?t use dangerously short skirts like you do, showing off your buttocks!?
?But you do put your breasts on display when ever you get the chance!?

?Girls!? Jaheira?s strong voice interrupted their arguing. ?If you must bicker, will you at least keep your voices down!?
?Oh this isn?t bickering,? Imoen said and grinned.
?This is snarky sniping! Ardent arguing! We insult because we love,? Jaina said and leaned on Imoen?s shoulder. ?You should try it sometime; it might spice up your relationship.?
Imoen started giggling, while Khalid blushed, and Jaheira pouted.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

The group woke up with the sun and after a quick breakfast they continued their aimless adventuring. After some hours of hiking they had spotted some skeletons in the distance.

Jaina and Imoen had wanted to sneak closer to take a good look at them. They had never seen actual undead before, so they wanted to cherish the moment. All four of them lied on the grass on the other side of the hill, and peeked downhill at the group of skeletons.
?Our first undead!? Imoen whispered with a wide smile.
?How romantic!? Jaina answered.
?Those are vicious fighters. You should not think this a game,? Jaheira warned them. ?Usually they throw knives, and they are very good at it.?
?So we?d better get close, right?? Jaina asked.
?Look at the halberds. Do you really want to get to their distance??
?So we?d better get close without them noticing, right?? Jaina said and flashed a grin at Jaheira.
?I second that!? Imoen said excitedly. ?Do you have that short sword you took from the hobgoblins yesterday??
?Yeah! Wanna come with me?? Jaina said and wriggled her backpack down from her back without sitting up or getting the skeletons? attention.
?You need to ask?? Imoen giggled silently.
?You are going to try sneak attacking?? Jaheira asked them with her eyes wide open. ?Are you crazy??
When the girls answered by nodding frivolously, she rolled her eyes. Jaina couldn?t help but wonder if her eyes were sore in the evenings after a so much rolling, but she thought a life time of eye rolling had made her eye muscles exceptionally strong.

The girls left their backpacks on the hill, grabbed their short swords and covered their heads with hoods.
?Okay, here?s the plan,? Jaina whispered to Khalid and Jaheira. ?We?ll sneak up on them, then you Jaheira shoot a bullet to the bush over there to distract them. When we make our move, you two attack with the bow and the sling. If everything goes to hell, attack anyway. You two should shoot at the same skellyfellow to get it down as fast as possible.?
?Skellyfellow?? Jaheira asked.
?Skeleton. Skelly. You know.?
?What ever you say, oh omnipotent authority figure?? Jaheira sighed.
?What did you just say?? Jaina whispered sharply. She had not liked Jaheira?s tone one bit.
?What? You are obviously the leader here, so we must do as you in your high wisdom tell us,? Jaheira explained with an arrogant face and bitter tone.
?Hey ladies, are we going to argue here or kill skellies?? Imoen butted in just when Jaina was opening her mouth to tell Jaheira to shove her attitude problem where it hurts the most.

Jaina and Jaheira both gave each other looks that could at least wound if not kill. After waiting for the skeletons to more or less turn their backs on the group, Jaina and Imoen sneaked off. They went separate ways around the skeleton horde ? Jaina circling them from the left and Imoen from the right. They dashed from shadow to shadow, using trees, bushes and rocks as shelter. Jaheira and Khalid were surprised to see how silently they could walk, and how elastically they rolled to take cover. Neither of them had been very good in straight face-to-face combat, but sneaking and hiding they handled very well.

Jaina and Imoen took their places. Jaina carefully waved at Jaheira, who crouched up on her knees and shot a sling bullet to the bush while Khalid took an arrow and got ready to spring up and shoot.
The distraction worked ? all five skeletons turned towards the bush, thinking someone was in there causing the leaves to move. But the rogues weren?t there ? they were right behind the skeletons, and with an effective surprise sneak attack they brought down two of the them. The rest three turned around to face their attackers. The middle one got immediately an arrow from Khalid and a bullet from Jaheira, and that was the end of its story. Jaina and Imoen got into a melee fight with the two remaining skeletons, but the quick and flexible girls dodged their heavy and slow halbered swings and together with Jaheira and Khalid they were taken care of fairly quickly.

When the last skeleton had fallen, Imoen and Jaina made a silly victory dance together shrieking and laughing.
?Rogues for the win, ba-da-boom-bah!? Jaina bellowed.
?I admit that worked out better than I dared to anticipate,? Jaheira said laconically, killing Jaina?s victory party.
?Well thank you for your trust and belief on my skills, Mrs. I-am-the-only-one-who-can-get-anything-right,? Jaina sniped at the half-elf.
?Oh no, I do have full trust in Khalid?s capabilities,? the woman answered with a wry smile. Khalid, on the other hand, didn?t look too happy this time. He and Imoen sighed at the same time, and stood beside each other feeling powerless before the female power struggle.
?I don?t get it. What *is* your problem, Jaheira?? Jaina decided to get Jaheira to show her cards.
?I do not know what you are talking about. We are here to aid you with your life and to travel with you just like Gorion had wanted. That?s all there is to it.?
?Like Gorion had wanted? You?re obviously not too happy about that. I am not a little girl anymore, so you don?t have to stick around because you feel you have to, because you feel it is your duty towards your deceased old friend.?
?Do not be silly. Khalid and myself have already told you that should you desire us to travel with you and help you, we will. Or do you feel some sort of forcing duty because of your father?s wish?? Jaheira looked at Jaina narrowing her eyes.
?No,? Jaina said firmly. ?I allow you to travel with me because you are *useful* to me. I have balls enough to admit that I respect your knowledge and skills, and that I also need them.?
?So I am a mere tool for you! Someone you use and throw away when you don?t need me anymore?? Jaheira raised her voice in anger.
?I never said anything of throwing away,? Jaina answered with a cool voice. She looked at her fingernails in a feminine sort of way, and glanced at Jaheira from under her brow. ?But if I have to bear your attitude for much longer, it may come to that.?

Imoen felt extremely uneasy with these harsh words, and was trying to concentrate on other things. She had already picked two rings and some gold coins from the skeletons? remains. In a way she felt that Jaina was right ? Jaheira was very arrogant and treated both her and Imoen as if they were silly little girls who knew nothing of real life. Imoen knew what a strong personality Jaina had. She had never had any real competition ? she had never even had a mother. Now that there was another strong woman in the group, these conflicts were inevitable. Imoen hoped they would get over it soon one way or another ? she had never been very good at handling serious arguments.

?I cannot believe that someone grown by Gorion himself would be that materialistic and selfish,? Jaheira hissed at Jaina, and Imoen knew she had hit a sore point.
?Apparently you know very little of me,? Jaina answered. She stood looking like a rebellion leader with her hands on her hips, staring Jaheira in the eyes in a dangerous, challenging manner. For a while Jaheira stared right back at her. During the argument Jaheira had raised her voice and gotten clearly angry. Jaina, however, had spoken with a low voice forcing everyone to listen to her closely, and making seem subtle but very dangerous.

Jaheira knew Jaina had the higher ground. She looked away, and quietly started searching the fallen skeletons. Jaina kept looking at her for a few silent moments more, and a strange, thing smile rose to her lips. No one said anything in ten minutes or so ? the whole scene was that awkward. The only one who seemed to know exactly where she stood was Jaina.

Only a hundred meters away from the uneasy group was a man. He carried a bow and a spear, and a hood covered his head and hid away his elven ears. Kivan had watched the group take care of the skeletons, and then listened to the women argue. He snorted to himself and shook his head, then stood up and walked away.

#6 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:14 PM

Chapter 6 - High Hedge

?Do you have any idea what this one does?? Jaina whispered and leaned closer to the strange shaped magical wand in the glass container.
?That shape really gives me some ideas, but I hope I?m wrong,? Imoen whispered back and suppressed a giggle. Jaina resorted to coughing to cover up the naughty giggles.
?That old goon doesn?t have really anything that would suit us or at least our financial situation? the dark haired girl said quietly and glanced at the old, grumpy wizard called Thalantyr on the other side of the room.

The group was in High Hedge, a keep that served as a residence for the wizard and his two golems. Jaheira and Khalid were standing by the door, keeping a suspicious eye at the mindless flesh golems stomping around aimlessly.

?Scary old goon,? Imoen muttered and shivered. ?Let?s get outta here. We can come back to pick his pockets and loot all this treasure some other day when we?re sure he won?t notice and turn us into frogs.?
?Especially as princes kissing frogs are a lot rarer than princesses kissing frogs,? Jaina pointed out, and headed to the wizard.
?Well?? the irate old man asked. ?Did anything catch your eye??
?Catch our eye?? Jaina repeated and tried to phrase her words right. Why yes indeed, we would love to have all your treasures and fancy magical items and lewd shaped wands, please, so hands up, sir, and no one will get hurt, she thought, but said with a sunny smile instead, ?You do have some very interesting items, so we will be sure to keep you in mind and possibly come back for them some other day.?

The group left the keep to the hermit wizard?s relief. They had spent the day roaming in the forest, taking down skeletons, gnolls and spiders (that had aroused some horrified shrieks from Imoen, and Khalid, too). Jaina and Jaheira had been fighting fiercely, and from time to time Imoen had thought they seemed to be competing in which of them struck down more monsters. The ladies? monster hunting had continued on for the entire afternoon until all four of them got badly injured by a surprisingly large group of big gnolls with huge halberds. Jaina and Jaheira got the worst injuries, while Khalid and Imoen only got some nasty scratches and bruises. The competing women had finally seen what a gamble they had been playing for the afternoon, and after exhausting Jaheira?s spells and their few small healing potions, the group had set up camp near the High Hedge.

Now that they had explored the keep and returned to their small camp, Khalid started making a fire. The group was generally silent ? Jaheira was pouting alone, Imoen was helping Khalid make the fire and prepare some dinner, and Jaina was gathering more firewood near the camp. It was getting dark and the sun was vanishing behind the High Hedge keep. Jaina was careful to keep the camp in viewing distance the whole time she was gathering wood. She felt grumpy and bad because of Jaheira. Jaina had hoped to get real friends who would explain why people wanted to kill her, and why Gorion was murdered for protecting her. She had hoped for trust and support, but now she knew those two had stayed back in Candlekeep.

Jaina ground her teeth together when she tried to concentrate on finding fire wood. No matter how hard she tried to think something else, the thought of having to get a grip of her own life and finally growing up flashed in her mind like a huge magical multi-color firework. It had been only a few days since she left Candlekeep, but already everything had changed. It seemed as though she would have to change along with it, otherwise she would end up alone and dead. Jaina knew she needed to train her constitution, fighting skills and work. She needed money, and she needed answers.

However, she did not know what to do with Jaheira. The truth was that Jaina and Imoen needed her and Khalid. They wouldn?t stand very long alone - the half-elves were more experienced in travelling and fighting, and knew the area somewhat well. But she also felt Jaheira was patronizing, dominating, cold and humourless. Jaheira had strong opinions of what the group should do and in what manner. So far she had insisted they head straight to Nashkel ? which Jaina had refused due to her and Imoen being inexperienced with real life. Jaheira also obviously thought the girls were having too much fun ?piling skellies? and looting dead hobgoblins, but Jaina found it extremely hard to take things seriously, especially after the grim turn her life had taken only a few days ago.

Jaina thought she would see how the situation developed, and try and talk reason with Jaheira. Her strain of thought was broken by a curious sight in the darkening forest ? a camp fire in the distance. She knew it was not their own camp fire, because she could still clearly see the others hustling around their camp only a few dozen meters away. The other fire, however, was only a bright spot in the distance, and she could not make out who or even how many were around it.

Jaina returned to the camp with a pile of firewood.
?I saw a campfire in the distance, over there,? she told the others and pointed towards it.
Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid pulled further away from their own fire to see better in the dark forest.
?Oh yeah, over there,? Imoen said when she noticed it. ?D?you think it?s more gnolls??
?I sure hope not. Jaheira, do you see anything with your special eyes?? Jaina asked, hoping to break ice between them.
?Who or whatever there is, he is alone,? Jaheira answered without looking at her.
?Y-yes, I do not see bu-but one person either,? Khalid seconded his wife.
?Only one guy, alone in the middle of the forest?? Jaina asked and glanced at Imoen, raising her eyebrows. The redhead immediately knew what her friend was implying, and clapped her hands grinning.
?Oh let?s go, let?s go!?

Khalid and Jaheira ? who did not like the idea of splitting up ? stayed by their own campfire while the girls took short swords, covered their hair with their hoods, and sneaked off into the night. The sun had just set, and the forest was full of shadows where to hide. Jaina felt her heart pounding with excitement ? the cool night air smelled fresh and somehow she felt her hearing was better now than during the day. Sounds were clearly more audible in the night time. Sneaking in the dark forest was not as easy as she would have thought ? darkness had washed color away and it was harder to estimate distances.

After a while the two young rogues found a good spot where to spy the lonely stranger. They saw a man sitting beside a small fire. He had a dark brown cloak on, but his hood was down. He had dark, long hair, beautiful but somehow stern features and pointy ears. The girls thought he was possibly a local ranger, because he wore mostly brown and green, carried a long bow and was now making new arrows with the help of a sharp knife.

?What do you think?? Jaina whispered to Imoen as they crouched in the shadows.
?I think he?s hot,? Imoen whispered back and both of the girls grinned, repressing giggles.
?That?s enough for me. Let?s go,? Jaina said and stood up.
?Oh, even though his only friends probably aren?t books, and he?s not wearing a skirt?? Imoen teased her friend, and got a gentle poke in the side.

?So you finally decided to show your faces,? the man said with a dark and low voice, without looking up from his arrows, just when Imoen and Jaina had stepped to the light.
?Oh, you noticed us?? Jaina asked and felt a little disappointed.
?Yes. The forest carries sounds extremely well during night time, and to some unaccustomed to moving in the nature might find that surprising.?
?Well lucky you heard us, otherwise we could have sneaked up and stolen your? unfinished arrows,? Jaina tried to make a joke, but when the man looked up at her with serious eyes, she coughed awkwardly.
?Ouch,? Imoen whispered. ?Bad one.?
?Shut up,? Jaina whispered back from the corner of her mouth.
?A really bad one.?

?I thought there were four of you?? the man asked, ignoring the girls? embarrassing whispering.
?Yes! Our friends are waiting by our camp, over there. I?m Jaina, by the way, and this is Imoen.?
?And the two others are Jaheira and Khalid. They?re married. We?re single!? Imoen explained with a bright voice.
Jaina rolled her eyes. The man stared at the girls.
?I see,? he said. ?My name is Kivan.? He paused for a moment, and then seemed to lose an internal battle. ?Would you like to sit down??
The girls sat down by the fire, and Kivan put away his arrows.
?How come you?re all alone here in the woods?? Jaina asked him.
?I have been hunting down the bandits in this area for the past few weeks. Their leader, Tazok, murdered my loved one right in front of my eyes. I will not rest until I have avenged her,? the elven man spoke with firm words and a low voice.
?Oh gosh!? Imoen said with a horrified expression. ?I?m so sorry!?
?Yes, that?s really horrible,? Jaina agreed with her. ?But you plan on taking down the bandits alone??
?If I must,? Kivan answered.
?Wow, you are one determined fella. But you know, you could travel with us. We?re actually going to Nashkel first to check out the mines, but you?d be welcome to join us. If you help us, we?ll help you.?
?Sounds fair. I actually saw you taking down some skeletons earlier today. Seems like you sneak better during the day,? the man pointed out.
?Cool! So basically we can sneak during the day or indoors; Jaheira is a druid; and Khalid is a capable warrior. What can you do? Apparently you are handy with the bow??
?That is correct. I am an archer.?
?Maybe you can show us a few tricks later. But come on, move over to our camp and we?ll talk more there,? Jaina suggested. All three of them stood up, and while Kivan was gathering his equipment, the girls put out the fire.

#7 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:34 AM

At this point I would like to give a warning. If you have not played Laufey's Edwin Romance mod, this fic will get REALLY spoilering REALLY soon. So stop reading if you still want to play the mod without being spoiled. Oh, and all thanks and credit to Laufey for the Edwin romance - Belles really is a fanfiction to the mod, as well.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Chapter 7: The Big Talk

The following day the group of five headed towards East and reached Beregost in the afternoon. The girls had been pestering Kivan during the journey, and got the morose elven man to talk. He had told the girls about moving in the forest, pointed out curious things, such as useful plants, how to detect time and direction from the sun and from the trees, and after their few encounters with hobgoblins and gibberlings he had helped them develop their bow and crossbow techniques. Kivan obviously did not feel comfortable with talking so much, but he seemed pleased that the girls were genuinely interested and willing to learn. Jaina in particular had paid keen interest in everything Kivan had said, and had even written some of the things up in her journal.

Beregost was bigger than any town Imoen and Jaina had ever visited before. It had lots of people and merchants, several shops, inns and taverns, a town crier (who was going on about some man called Bassilus who had a bounty on his head ? Jaina made a short note of it in her diary), and a smithy. The two girls were thrilled about this new, beautiful town, but the other three had already visited it before.
?How come there?s a tavern in every corner?? Imoen wondered as they walked the streets.
?Many travellers and merchants travel through Beregost on their way to Amn or Baldur?s Gate,? Jaheira explained. ?It is a popular resting place, but I would not be surprised if the bandits have caused problems for Beregost, too.?
?Well I could do with some rest and drink,? Jaina said and stopped. ?Feldpost?s Inn, The Burning Wizard ? the Burning Wizard??
?I bet that wouldn?t smell too good,? Imoen pointed out.
?Yeah, and think of all the screaming.?
?And the angry mob with pitch forks.?
?Actually sounds kinda fun!? Jaina suddenly said, and the girls couldn?t help but start giggling.

The three others patiently waited until the girls? giggling fit was over. On Jaina?s lead the group ascended the stairs to The Burning Wizard Inn. All five of them were relieved to get a chance to sit down to rest their feet and get something to drink. While Kivan and Khalid were getting them drinks from the counter, Jaina dug out her journal and browsed it looking concentrated. Imoen decided to have a chat with the locals who had nodded them greetings when the group had entered the bar.

After some ten minutes Jaina looked up from her journal and waved the group back together. She was sitting on a stool in the head of the table while the four others sat on the benches. Jaina had deliberately pulled a stool for herself right when they first came in to make a subtle point. She hoped Jaheira had noticed it.
?Alright people ? oh thanks, lovely,? she said to Khalid who had placed a pint in front of her. Jaina took a gulp and continued, ?I?ve been thinking.?
?Oh no,? Imoen commented sarcastically.
?I?m serious, Immy! Now listen up, every one of you.?

Jaina paused for a moment and looked at her four companions to emphasize her need to talk her mind.
?As you all know, both I and Imoen have been through a lot in the past few days, and also that we are quite new to actually looking after ourselves and making ourselves useful without being forced. I admit that I have grown up a spoiled brat, but in these past few days I have also realized that I can?t continue being a spoiled brat.?
The four others listened to her in silence. Imoen smiled a little, in a reassuring, friendly way. Jaina wondered if she had realized the same thing too. Jaheira looked a little surprised, but not hostile in any way.
?I have been trying to learn survival skills ? thank you Jaheira, Khalid and Kivan for sharing your knowledge with me. But I still need help and I need real co-operation and some sort of a? system. We?ve been doing pretty well so far, but I believe that we can be more efficient and work more seamlessly, but to achieve that we need to have this discussion.

?Something really strange is going on. Someone wants me dead ? I mean, I have a bounty on my head! Someone killed Gorion to get to me. I want to find out why, and I want to find out who the bastard is so I can shove this into his eye.?
Jaina looked sinister and angry when she spoke. With her last words she put a simple dagger on the table for everyone to see. Jaheira, Khalid and Kivan looked puzzled, but Imoen got it.
?That?s Gorion?s dagger!? she said and nodded approvingly. ?I think it would be fitting to avenge him with his dagger.?

Jaina nodded silently, and put the dagger back into her backpack. ?Just so you know, that dagger is out-of-limits. It has only one purpose, and I will not rest before it is achieved.?
?How do you plan on finding out who killed him?? Jaheira asked.
?I told you in Friendly Arm that if we get more attention and get the bounty higher I get more bounty hunters on my tail, and so we get bigger chances of getting more information. That?s really our only chance.

?Getting more attention shouldn?t be too difficult, either. There?s so many things going on right now that it would be completely impossible to get bored. The biggest thing could be the Nashkel Mines, and I think it should be our first priority. Then there are the bandit raids, but I?m thinking that an increase of bandits in the area is causing more criminal activity, too,? Jaina explained and shrugged. ?I don?t know yet, but we?ll find out sooner or later. Then of course there?s more local things ? like that psycho Bassilus. We should visit the temple to get the details on his case.?
?Oh, and the nice fella over there,? Imoen pointed over her shoulder with her thumb towards some locals sitting near the counter, ?just told me about the Firewine bridge. There are some odd rumours going around about some ancient evil lurking in there, and it?s supposed to be a really dangerous place.?
?Ancient evil? Danger? I smell treasure,? Jaina said and the girls grinned.
?Exactly!?
?Sounds like a place we should check out some time.

?Anyway, I suggest that our general plan is to work to get more money to get better equipment to get better jobs and get more money, and so on. We should keep our eyes and ears open for any information on the assassins, and the iron shortage. How does that sound??
?You?ve really been thinking about this, haven?t you!? Imoen grinned. ?Yeah, sounds smart.?
?Indeed. I am glad to see that you have finally started to plan and think further than your own nose,? Jaheira commented, but she seemed pleased.
?My own nose, huh?? Jaina said to Jaheira and paused, looking at the half-elf with sharp, dark eyes. ?Yeah, let?s talk about that. Let?s talk about thinking further than our own noses, and think of us as a team. Now there are already five of us, and we are still more or less strangers to each other. What do you think, Jaheira ? how should the team be organized??

Jaheira?s eyes narrowed slightly. She knew she was under attack from Jaina, but she did not want to give the girl higher ground this time.
Without hesitation or pause, Jaheira said, ?Obviously each member of the team should have his or her own position, but a team always needs a leader.?
Imoen recognized another conflict cooking up, and she quickly butted in to the discussion. ?Exactly! So you?re our healer, right, and Khalid is our brave swordsman, and Kivan and me are archers, because Jaina is better with the sword than I am. And because Jay was so smart as to talk about this and start planning, and because she?s good at talking with people anyway, she could be the leader, right?? Imoen explained with an earnest smile and big bright eyes.
Four pairs of eyes turned to stare at Jaheira, waiting for her to argue.
?Jaina seems like a strong willed young woman with fast reactions,? Kivan opened his mouth when Jaheira hesitated. ?I second Imoen?s suggestion.?
?I mu-must commend Jaina?s leadership skills as w-well. She is also in th-the m-m-middle of attention, so this seems natural, d-doesn?t it, m?dear?? Khalid said and turned towards his wife.
Jaheira sat quietly for a moment, and then nodded. ?I guess it does.?

The druid had to swallow the group?s decision, but she did so grudgingly. Jaina was still pleased to see that she did not argue, but the dark girl had a feeling that Jaheira had not dropped this subject yet.
?Alright then! If anyone doesn?t have anything else to say or talk about, I suggest we finish our drinks and find the spider-infested house,? Jaina said.
?Spider-infested house?? Kivan repeated.
?Oh yeah, you didn?t know about that yet. We met this merry old geezer in Friendly Arm who lives here in Beregost. He asked us to get rid of the spiders in his house, and get him some of his stuff. So are you ready to go? Drink up, princess, let?s not waste all day in the tavern.?
?I?m done, I?m done! Sheesh, don?t let your leadership get to your head!? Imoen gulped down the rest of her drink and stood up with the others.

A few minutes after the group had left the tavern, a tall man clad in all black, carrying a stylish, black cane stood up from the corner. He left the tavern and stood outside for a moment, looking after the group with narrowed eyes. Then he suddenly turned, and shouted to the stable boy, ?Boy! Get my horse!?

Edited by Ilmatar, 15 June 2007 - 06:37 AM.

#8 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

Chapter 8 - Thieves and Mercenaries

In the evening?s dim light a horseman pulled his mount to a halt near Nashkel. His gaze followed the river down and in the valley he saw the small village and its bright little torch lights. The dark man dismounted from the black, large stallion and held it by the reigns. Another man was approaching him from the village?s direction ? this one was wearing bright red robes, golden jewellery and carried a wizard?s staff. Both of them had covered their heads with hoods.

?You are late, boy,? the older man with the horse said.
?I?m sorry master. Not all of us have the luxury of keeping a horse in this dump,? the wizard answered. He had a foreign accent and when he reached his friend and looked up, the hood revealed a trimmed dark beard and dark eyes. The wizard could not have been older than thirty ? he was probably around 25 years old. His red, luxurious robes hinted at him being a Red Wizard of Thay. His master, however, could have been his father, but despite his age he was extremely fit and his stance was exceptionally stately and trained.
?What news?? the wizard asked and leaned against his tall staff.
?I saw the Bhaalspawn girl in Beregost. She is planning on coming to Nashkel soon, apparently to investigate the problems in the mines.?
?I will be ready. I hope she makes it here quickly ? the idiotic peasants here are getting on my nerves. An at least potentially powerful Bhaalspawn would be much more suitable company for myself than these monkeys here.?
?I am afraid that you will be sourly disappointed in that matter.?
?What do you mean??
?She seemed quite oblivious of her true heritage.?
?What?!?
?The girl seems to be fumbling about blindly trying to find out why she has a bounty on her head.?
?And I am expected to not only have a word with that ignorant little brat but to travel with her as well?!?
?Homeland security, young Edwin. Remember that. And it would be good if you kept your knowledge of her to yourself. Remember your cover.?
?Hurmpf! The Rashemani dolt arrived in Nashkel today, without his witch. I would not be surprised if he had gotten her killed already.?
?Without the witch? Find out what has happened to her, and confront the Bhaalspawn when she arrives. Do not reveal your presence to the ranger, yet.?
?Very well, master.?

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Jaina sat in the Burning Wizard tavern with a goblet of the house wine and her journal. She seemed as if she was reading and scribbling some notes to her journal, but she was actually listening and observing the other customers.

?What could I getcha?? the inn keeper asked a young man who had just entered the tavern and seated himself by the counter.
?The cheapest room you have for the night, please, and a pint of ale. I?ve a long day?s travel behind me, and I?m parched.?
?Here ya go, son. Where are you coming from??
?Waterdeep. I was working there in the docks, but I gots a message saying me father had died in the Nashkel Mines, so I?m heading back home to help me mum.?
?I?m sorry to hear that! Your pops was a miner, then??
?Yep. Bloody strong man. Can?t imagine he?s really dead. And I haven?t a clue of what happened ta him.?
?There?s been some strange things happening in the mines, you know. Yer pops wasn?t the first man to come out of there feet first.?
?I know. The whole bloody area is all messed up! Two days ago I was travelling with a merchant, but we were robbed! Damned bandits killed the merchant right there in front of me eyes, and took everything he had. They let me escape with me life, an? now I gots me a coupl?a coins in me pocket. I think I?ll be more a burden than a help to me mum like this.?
?By the nine Hells, your life sure hasn?t been easy. Here, the ale?s on the house. I sure wish someone would already do something about the bandits, and find out what?s going on in the mines.?

By the table beside her was a noble couple, apparently stuck in Beregost because of the bandit raids. They had been complaining about the service, the food, the locals? manners, the weather and generally everything they could think of. The wife was going on about some wedding taking place in Athkatla in a week, and how they would not make it there in time, and how she thought a summer home in Sembia would have been better than the one they got the wedding couple in Turmish. The husband was more interested in smoking his pipe, so he just kept saying, ?Yes, dear,? ?Absolutely, dear,? and, ?No, dear,? every now and then. The noble couple was giving Jaina a headache, and she hoped they would retire to their room as soon as possible.

On the other side of the tavern she saw an old sea dog who looked like a pirate through and through. He had a peg leg and an eye patch, a fancy jacket and a cutlass on his belt. Earlier he had told the innkeeper he was heading to Athkatla to assemble a crew and set sail as soon as possible. Apparently he had been working as a merchant for some years but now sea called him again. ?Once a sailor, always a sailor, aye!? the man had roared and laughed loudly. He looked quite wealthy and well fed ? it looked like his merchant years had been successful, or that he had plundered a good amount of loot to live on.

Imoen came down the stairs. They had rented simple rooms and the others were still upstairs refreshing and taking care of their equipment. Jaina had deliberately returned back to the tavern as soon as possible, and was now joined by Imoen.
?Here you are!? she said and sat down beside her. ?What?s up??
?Just waiting for you, and the others. I?m hoping to visit the smithy before he closes ? it?s getting pretty late.?
?Yeah, the others are coming down soon.?

Right then Kivan arrived and also sat down.
?Ladies,? he greeted and nodded.
?Evening, good sir,? Jaina said and grinned. ?Is there something you need from the smithy? We haven?t got much money to spare, though, so you won?t be getting the Mighty Spear of Ass Kicking just yet.?
?I do not require anything. I have plenty of arrows and I just repaired the minor damages the spiders made on my armor.?
When the half-elves joined the other three, the group left the tavern. The sky was getting cloudy and darker, and the air was chilly. Outside The Burning Wizard they bumped into a young dreamy looking man who was about the same age as Jaina and Imoen.
?Hello, good adventurers!? the man said when he saw the group and their equipment. ?I have a proposal for you, if you would have a moment.?
Jaina made her way to the head of the group and stood in front of the young man. She had freed her dark brown, wavy hair, and her black jacket was open revealing the tight, brown leather armor.
?A proposal? What do you have in mind??

?My!? the man said loudly and beamed a sparkling white smile at Jaina. ?Can this beauty truly be the leader of a fearsome band of adventurers? My name is Garrick, and I am very pleased to meet you, Miss???
?Jaina,? the dark girl introduced herself and offered her right hand. Instead of shaking it, Garrick gently raised it to his lips, and gave a small peck on the back of her hand. Behind her Imoen had difficulties of keeping a straight face. Jaina did not know whether to be flattered or disgusted. When Garrick did not let go of her hand but kept it gently between his both hands, and started talking like a cheesy romance novel, Jaina decided to be disgusted, but act flattered. Just for the fun of it.
?You seem like a skilled yet intoxicatingly beautiful woman ? I believe you are the same excellent group that has been asking after Bassilus, and delivered news to Lady Mirianne about her husband?s fate only today??
?Why yes, that is us,? Jaina answered with a seductive smile and stepped closer.
?You see, Miss Jaina, I work for Silke Rosena. She's the most skilled musician and actor along the Sword Coast: in fact, she's to play at the Duchal Palace before the month's done,? the young man explained. ?But... she's been having some problems as of late. Some thugs have been hired by Feldepost to hurt her bad, because she didn't perform at his inn when she was supposed to.?
?Oh my, that is horrible news,? Jaina said looking worried, and kept looking at Garrick in the eyes, looking genuinely intrigued and sexually desperate. That seemed to work, since Garrick?s cheecks were turning red.
?You can't blame her for not showing up, what with a villain like Feldepost running the place. She needs mercenaries to protect her until she's ready to go to Baldur's Gate,? he continued, having trouble concentrating on the business at hand. ?She was willing to pay about 300 gold, but I am sure she is ready to pay at least 500 to such a talented woman like you.?

Jaina could not help but grin, but was sure to turn that greedy grin to a delighted, flirty smile. ?Oh Garrick, you are such a flatterer!? she giggled and slapped his arm playfully. ?Of course we will help your mistress. I would very much like to meet her.?
?Mistress??? Garrick asked distractedly and finally remembered that Jaina?s eyes were not on her chest, but on her head. ?Oh, oh yes, right, this way. She is waiting near the Red Sheaf Inn.?

Garrick still held Jaina?s hand and started leading her around the corner. Jaina looked over her shoulder to the four others following them, and grimaced, sticking her tongue out in disgust when she was certain Garrick would not notice. Imoen answered with an equal grimace and the girls suppressed giggles.

In front of the Inn stood an arrogant looking woman, wearing an over-decorated dress and holding a lace fan. She looked like a downright diva, but she carried a scimitar. Jaina immediately wondered if she was more than she appeared.
?Ms. Rosena, this is Jaina and her group of adventurers,? Garrick said finally letting go of Jaina?s hand.

?Greetings, mercenaries! I am Silke, thespian extraordinaire,? the woman introduced herself pronouncing every syllable very carefully with her voice varying from very high pitched to very low.
?You look like a capable sort ? what did my little helper offer you??
?500 gold,? Jaina said promptly with a big smile.
?500 gold?!? Silke repeated looking appalled. She glanced sideways at Garrick, and then pursing her lips looked back at Jaina, who was still smiling overly friendly. ?500 gold it is, then.?
She paused to snort dramatically before continuing to explain,
?Well then, I assume that Garrick has explained what your duties are. You must simply dispose of the ruffians when they come to threaten me. They shouldn't be too hard to deal with, but I would advice you to strike fast. Whatever you do, don't speak with them. One of them is a mage whose mystic words can sway even the most wise of men.?

Jaina did not feel very comfortable with these instructions ? she felt as if Silke was not telling the whole truth. Before she could answer, the musician suddenly hissed, ?There the Feldepost?s thugs come. Strike when I tell you to.?

Three men approached them, and when Silke looked the other way, Jaina quickly turned around to face the other four. ?Careful now, this seems odd,? she whispered.
?Indeed, best to ask questions first, no matter what she says,? Jaheira whispered back and the others nodded.
Jaina turned back to face Silke and the three thugs, who oddly enough did not seem hostile.
?Greetings, Silke. We are here, as you requested, and we have the ?? one of them started, but Silke interrupted him, backing further away from them.
?Don?t try to threaten me! I will not be easy prey for you to beat on ? I have brought friends!?
?Uh,? Jaina raised her forefinger, ?now wait just a moment??
The ?thug? looked confused and tried to explain to Silke, ?What are you talking about? We?re here with the gems that??
?Shut up!? Silke said and shrieked to Jaina, ?STRIKE! NOW! Kill them all!?

Jaina still had her forefinger raised, and she shook it pointedly. ?No.?
?What!? Quickly now, before they get the better of you!?
Jaina ignored Silke and turned towards the men. ?Hello, my name is Jaina. Are you here to kill or beat Ms. Rosena??
?Of course not! What is this nonsense??
?That?s it!? Silke screamed and pulled her blade. ?Our deal is off! You are too cowardly to do as you are told, so I will deal with them myself after I have dealt with you!?

The bard attacked Jaina with her scimitar, but the girl quickly pulled away from her reach and drew her own sword. Silke pulled back and started chanting a spell instead. Kivan and Imoen aimed their bows at her, and their arrows hitting her torso interrupted her spell and got a scream of pain out of her. Jaina advanced and kicked her right arm forcing her drop the scimitar, and with the same movement energy she plunged her sword in Silke?s chest. The woman died instantly, and Jaina saw and felt her body go limp. She pulled her sword out of her chest, and the bard fell down on the ground.

Jaina immediately turned to take a look at her companions and the three men standing about, looking at her with widened eyes.
?Sorry about this nasty business, boys. She clearly tried to trick all of us,? Jaina said and wiped her sword clean of Silke?s blood, and sheathed it.
?Indeed! Thank you for not siding with her ? judging by how easily you disposed of her, we are lucky that you played fair. Silke won?t be getting these gems anymore, but you have earned them,? the man said and handed Jaina a small pouch. All three of them shook hands with Jaina and proceeded to pat the others on the back and shake their hands as well.

Meanwhile Garrick was standing beside Silke?s body. He looked pale, and when Jaina turned towards him, he gulped, ?Silke?s dead!?
?Ooh, slow but working, eh,? Jaina said in a sarcastic tone. ?Guess she tricked you too??
?Yes. Now it is so obvious - she was an evil witch, and I believe she had it coming.?
?That she did,? Jaina said and picked up Silke?s sword from the ground. It was a high quality scimitar that fit very well to her hand. She decided to give it a more thorough inspection later.
?My dear Miss Jaina,? Garrick said and stepped closer. ?I am now unemployed and I would be glad to offer my services to your use. I am a bard, and I?m sure I would get very good material for new songs and stories travelling with you.?
Jaina looked at the boy and glanced at the others over her shoulder. Khalid had gone to fetch a town guard to take care of the body, but the three others did not look too happy about the sappy Garrick being their new companion.
?Tell you what, Garrick,? Jaina turned towards the boy once more. ?When you can actually do something useful and learn to use your imagination and wit in flirting with the ladies, I?ll consider it.?
She cut the money pouch from Silke?s belt and picked it up. The pouch had gold worth of 600 coins. She took 100 and handed them to Garrick. ?Here. Sorry you lost your job this way, but if you try really hard, someone might actually pay for your songs and stories.?

Jaina took the 500 gold and the sword. She handed the gem pouch to Jaheira, and once Khalid returned with the guard, they explained what had happened. The guard promised to take care of the body, and the group of five finally got to continue on their way to the smithy.
?Well that was interesting,? Jaheira commented when they were out of hearing distance from Garrick.
?Yeah! How much was she carrying?? Imoen asked.
?600 gold. I took the liberty of giving 100 to Garrick since he lost his job, you know,? Jaina explained. ?And look at this sword. Pretty nifty, eh??
?Nice! It?s a scimitar, isn?t it??
?Yep. I sort of like how it feels in my hand,? Jaina said and waved it while she was walking. ?I think I?ll keep it.?

The team got to the smithy just when Taerom Fuirim was closing it. The smith reconsidered and let the group enter ? after all, there were three beautiful women, and two men who looked like good customers.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Many hours after the night had fallen and the group had retired to their rooms to rest, Jaina sat up on her bed. She pulled on her black pants and socks, but did not put on her boots. Without lighting a candle, she poked Imoen who was sharing the room with her. Jaheira and Khalid were in the room beside theirs, and Kivan was sleeping alone on the other side.
?Hmhwha hmh?? the sleepy Imoen murmured and rubbing her eyes she looked at Jaina, who raised a finger on her lips.
?Wake up, Immy,? she whispered. ?Don?t wear your boots. And be quiet. Do you have your lockpicks??

Once Imoen got her skirt on and found her lock picks, the girls sneaked out of their room. The corridor was dimly lit and all they could hear was snoring. Imoen guessed what Jaina was thinking, and tip-toed near the stairs to keep a look out in case someone would come. Jaina held her breath and carefully pressed her ear against one of the room doors. She heard snoring and sleepy snorting, so she took her lock pick from her pocket. She was surprised of the low quality of the lock, and she got it open relatively quickly. Imoen put out the light in the corridor before Jaina opened the door. The redhead moved to the doorway of the room while Jaina sneaked inside. There was the noble couple sleeping in their luxurious, expensive room. She took a peek at them to make sure they were really asleep, and then went through their clothes and bags as quietly as she could. Suddenly the man?s snoring stopped, and both of the girls froze to stare at the bed, ready to spring up and run. After what felt like an eternity to the two thieves, the man suddenly coughed in his sleep, gasped for air and started snoring again.

Jaina sighed in relief and filled her pockets with cold coins and expensive jewellery. When she had cleaned the room of everything shiny, she sneaked outside and Imoen closed the door. Jaina went so far as to lock the door again with her lock pick. They sat silently in the dark corridor for a short moment before Jaina pointed towards the door she knew lead to the pirate?s room. It was now her turn to go to the staircase to listen for any movement, while Imoen listened through the door to make sure the inhabitant was asleep. Then she proceeded to pick the lock which didn?t take too long. Jaina sneaked to the door when Imoen disappeared into the darkness behind her. After a few moments Imoen appeared back beside her. She had a bracelet and some rings on she had not had before, and she was holding a sailor?s telescope.
?Cool,? Imoen mouthed the word silently and pointed at the telescope. The girls grinned together, and Imoen closed the door behind her. Jaina looked at the third door in the corridor, but then she looked at Imoen and shook her head.

After re-lighting the light in the corridor, the girls returned to their room and hid their loot in their clothing, armor and backpacks. Imoen hid the telescope in her arrow vine, and very quietly whispered, ?Why not the third room??
?The boy in that room is having a hard life ? he?s been robbed and his father died in the Nashkel Mines,? Jaina explained as quietly as she could.
Imoen nodded. ?Maybe we should have broken in and given him some of the loot.?
Jaina laughed inaudibly and the girls crawled back to their beds.

Jaina pulled the cover to her armpits and turned to lie on her side. Soon she heard Imoen breath harder and snort in her sleep, but Jaina found it hard to fall asleep. She stared at the scimitar beside her bed and thought of how easy it had been killing Silke Rosena. She had felt how the blade had crunched through the bard?s ribcage, and she had seen the painful expression on her face. Every time she took a life ? be it an assassin, a gibberling, a bandit or someone like Silke, it felt easier. It felt more? pleasant. Jaina had not even stopped to think about it, she had just wiped her sword clean and turned to talk with the men there, like she hadn?t done anything more than a simple procedure. Killing was becoming her job, she realized. And it really did not feel that bad.

Edited by Ilmatar, 15 June 2007 - 06:47 AM.

#9 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:22 AM

Chapter 9 - New Friends, Old Friends

The next few days were quite hectic for Jaina, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid and Kivan. They ran errands for the people of Beregost, and met with yet another assassin in one of the many taverns of the town. The team got rid of the assassin quickly, and found a new bounty notice. Jaina rejoiced finding out that her bounty had been raised.

She practised fighting with her new scimitar, and got a lot of practise opponents when they travelled south of Beregost. They searched for Bassilus, but instead found a talking chicken. The chicken claimed to be the mage Thalantyr?s apprentice, and after many uncalled-for jokes on form changing and chickens, the group carried it to High Hedge. The outraged wizard turned his idiotic apprentice successfully back to his own human form. The team decided to spend the next day or so searching north from Beregost. They spent one night in Friendly Arm Inn and met with the halfling whose house they had cleaned of spiders.

Jaheira was getting very irate about them still not going to Nashkel. She commented on every decision Jaina made ? Jaheira had wanted to leave the chicken, she had wanted to go back south, she constantly complained about Jaina being too sarcastic, and the girls being too noisy and that hobgoblin hunting should not have been entertainment. Jaina soon lost her patience and the women kept on bickering and sniping mean comments at each other. To make things deliberately worse and to strain Jaheira?s short nerves even more, Jaina led the group farther to the north.

A day?s walk to North from Friendly Arm Inn the team?s travels got an interesting turn that allowed them a break from listening to Jaheira and Jaina argue. A woman in a long cloak came running towards them like she was running away from Death itself.
?Check that out,? Imoen said and pointed at the small woman. The group stopped and tried to see if the she was being followed, but saw no one since she was coming from the forest.
?Hey you! Are you okay?? Jaina shouted at the woman approaching them fast. She did not answer before she reached the group, but she went around them on their other side, and kept looking behind her.
?Please help me!? she panted breathlessly. ?You?ve got to help me or he?ll kill me!?
?K-kill? Who is tr-trying to kill you?? Khalid asked her, but just then the group saw under her hood.

The woman was a drow. Her ebon black skin, pure white hair and blazing red eyes proved it, and Jaina was pretty sure that was the main reason she was wanted dead.
?Okay, lady, hold your horses, we?ll help you,? Jaina promised the dark elf.
?What?? Kivan said with a furious voice. Everyone else looked at him in surprise ? the elf spoke rarely, and now his tone was a dangerous one. ?You would help this abomination??
?Oh come on, Kivan, let?s first see what the big picture looks like before we go looking at skin color!? Jaina said, but before the ranger could answer, they heard a booming shout from the forest.
?Step aside, travellers! I am a member of the Flaming Fist!?

The drow and the team turned towards the voice. A Flaming Fist soldier appeared from the forest, and his attentions were clear.
?Well hello, captain obvious!? Jaina shouted back.
?The woman you are harboring is wanted for murder of the foulest sort. She is a dark elf ? it should be obvious she is evil!?
?Oh that?s right. She?s a drow, so she?s evil. A surface elf is always good, the Flaming Fist is always right, anyone wearing all white is always innocent and monks do not masturbate. Give me a break, mister!?
?So you will not hand her over??
?What do you intend to do with her??
?Kill her, of course,? the soldier answered as if there was no other option.
Jaina looked at the drow, who pleaded, ?I am innocent ? he is lying! Please help me!?
?You get to her through me,? Jaina told the man with a fierce expression.
?Damn right! How come she doesn?t even get a chance, anyway?? Imoen defended the dark elf also. Jaheira and Khalid took their places in front of the drow as well, but Kivan seemed to hesitate.
?Stupid decision! For harbouring a murderer, I sentence all of you to death!? the soldier said and raised his sword.

The following battle was not as easy as one would have thought a five against one fight to be. The Flaming Fist member was a highly trained soldier with excellent equipment, and he did not go down easily. The drow cast spells to help the party, but Kivan did not raise a finger in the battle. For a moment it looked as if he would switch sides and help the soldier against the team, but instead he stood there not knowing what to do.

When the fight was over and the soldier finally taken down, he uttered the words of surprise and rage, ?You? you killed a Flaming Fist soldier to help her??
?Damn right we did. Thank you so much for standing there and doing nothing,? Jaina said bitterly and carefully touched the corner of her mouth. She had blood on her chin and in her mouth ? the soldier had given her a hard hit in the face. Khalid had some cuts and minor wounds also, but Jaheira was already working on them.
Kivan backed away from the drow, but she lowered her hood and looked at him.
?I know what you are thinking; you see my dark skin and won't trust me for it. I am a dark elf, but I'm an outcast,? she explained, directing her words mostly to Kivan. ?I no longer receive my powers from the spider gods you surface dwellers fear so: the goddess Shar grants me wisdom, and she is a surface divinity.?
?That is what your lying tongue says, but when we turn our backs we feel the truth between our ribs,? Kivan hissed at her.
It seemed as if the dark elf was used to hearing words like that, so she ignored them. She turned towards Jaina and the others, and continued, ?My name is Viconia, and I thank you for risking yourselves on my behalf. If you?d let me join your group, I would be most grateful. I have no where else to go.?

?You cannot be serious!? Kivan shouted and was reaching for an arrow. Jaina noticed this and immediately moved between the elf and Viconia.
?No, Kivan. If you can?t accept her, leave.?
?Come now ? Kivan does not have to leave, but we cannot have a dark elf travelling with us,? Jaheira said. ?People would not trust us if we had a drow amongst us.?
?Then it?s their loss!? Imoen said. By the way she was looking at Viconia, Jaina guessed the redhead thought she was intriguing and beautiful.

Kivan had an arrow placed on his bow, but he had not raised it. Viconia was behind Jaina who was looking directly into Kivan?s eyes.
?As far as we know, she has done nothing to deserve death. If you kill her now, you have deserved it instead.?
Kivan pursed his lips. Then he took the arrow and slowly put it back to his arrow vine. He stared at Jaina for a moment before he raised his hood to cover his head.
?Goodbye,? he said, and left.

The others stared after Kivan for a few moments in silence. Jaina finally turned around to face the others. ?Does someone else have a problem with a dark elf travelling with us??
?I have already expressed my opinion,? Jaheira said and glanced at Viconia.
?I?ve no problem with Viconia at all,? Imoen said and smiled.
?Welcome to the party, then,? Jaina told Viconia who gave a relieved smile.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Several days later the group was finally heading towards Nashkel, and were only a short walk away from there. Viconia had proven to be an efficient cleric and a trained warrior. She did not talk much, and was generally quite sour and distrustful. Despite that she got fairly well along with both Jaina and Imoen, who were curious and open-minded about her. They treated Viconia like they would have treated anyone else, and openly admired Viconia?s beauty and her thick, white hair. It was obvious that the she still had drow standards, and so did not find saying compliments or trusting anyone easy. The others understood that and gave her space, even though Imoen desperately wanted to brush and braid her hair.

?There it is, now,? Jaina said when Nashkel finally appeared on the horizon. The road from Beregost had been infested with bandits, and the group was tired and Jaheira and Imoen were still mildly wounded.
?Finally. I still do not understand why we did not come here right away,? Jaheira muttered.
?Indeed, even after I have explained the delay to you a zillion times,? Jaina sighed.
?Gods know we might have saved a lot of lives by arriving here sooner and helping with the problems in the mines.?
?Or gotten ourselves killed just like that!? Jaina snapped her fingers. ?Is it really so hard to for you to understand that without any real experience of holding a weapon we could have only made things worse??
?It is a long journey from Friendly Arm Inn to Nashkel. You could have practised on the way.?
?That?s what we did.?
?Okay hello? We?re here now?? Imoen interrupted them. ?No point in arguing about it anymore, now is there??

It was late afternoon, and it had been cloudy all day. Now that they reached the bridge leading to Nashkel, first little raindrops hit the dusty ground. They saw a group of Flaming Fist members approaching them, and Viconia quickly covered herself up. She put on brown leather gloves and raised the big hood of her cloak to cover her hair and face. Jaina, Jaheira and Khalid nodded hellos to the soldiers as they passed by, and the group continued towards the first house after the bridge. It was an inn, and Imoen sighed in relief.
?An inn! Let?s go inside, my feet are killing me, and it?s gonna rain soon anyway.?
?Totally,? Jaina agreed and the girls turned to go to the tavern.
?Wait a minute, girls,? Jaheira?s scolding voice stopped them. ?Now that we are here, we should see the Mayor before we spend another two weeks doing nothing!?
?Doing nothing? What do you mean ? ? Jaina started to argue, but Imoen, Viconia and Khalid were looking at her in despair. ??fine. You lead the way, since you obviously always know what is best.?
Jaheira raised her chin up and started walking fast down the road, past the inn.
?Bye bye, inn,? Imoen said to the tavern house in a sad voice.

Irregular raindrops here and there were slowly turning into rain, but Jaheira gave no mercy to the others. She led them down the road through the village, until she seemed to recognize someone.
?Why it is Jaheira, isn?t it! And Khalid, so very good to see both you again!? a grizzly man dressed in an elegant jacket shook the couples hands. ?I was just heading inside from this rain, but rain be damned when I see old friends.?
?Indeed, Berrun! It has been too long,? Jaheira answered with a big smile. ?I have heard of the troubles in the Mines, and we are here to investigate them.?
?Ah, I knew I could count on you, thank you so much.?
?What exactly is the problem in the Mines?? Jaina butted in and stepped closer to stand beside Jaheira. She was irritated that Jaheira had not introduced them, and did not want to let Jaheira take over the reigns. Berrun Ghastkill looked at the dark, young girl like she was a child without manners.
?Our mine is all but shut down because the workers continually go missing, and what ore we do get is tainted somehow. I would send in the town guards, but we need them to protect our citizens from the bandits that raid our caravans,? the Mayor explained.
?Do not worry, we will gladly go and investigate,? Jaheira reassured him, but before she could finish the sentence Jaina said, ?I?ll need and appropriate reward for my time. Thanks do not feed us and praises do not repair our armors.?
?Now who is this girl?? Berrun asked Jaheira.
?My name is Jaina, and these are Imoen and Viconia. You must be the Mayor of Nashkel,? the girl promptly answered for herself and offered her right hand. Berrun Ghastkill looked at it as if it was infested with disease, but shook it reluctantly.
?If indeed the town?s gratitude is not enough for you, don?t worry. Your reward will be in gold. Now if you will excuse me, I will go inside from this rain.?

The Mayor quickly left, and Jaheira slowly turned around to look at Jaina.
?What is wrong with you, girl??
?No, Jaheira. What is wrong with you? Okay, you?re friends with the Mayor, sure, but that does not mean that you wouldn?t have to introduce the rest of us to him, or give you the right to go promising things just like that,? Jaina ranted at Jaheira. ?I am seriously getting tired of your attitude.?
?So my attitude is the problem here? But never yours, oh no. There can?t nothing wrong with our precious Jaina, now can there? You are impolite. You are reckless and blunt. You endanger the whole party by taking in a dark elf.?
?Viconia?s presence is not endangering us, but the stupid prejudice of people. As for my attitude, I at least understand to be critical and know the whole deal before promising to work for free. I try to take care of the people I travel and work with,? Jaina explained and waved at Khalid, Imoen and Viconia. ?But not you. No, you are arrogant and blunt towards us, but you suck up to everyone who could give us work.?
Jaheira was about to open her mouth to protest, but Jaina raised her hand in a dismissive manner.
?No. We will not argue about this in the middle of the rain anymore. We will talk about you, and me, and your place in the party later.?
Jaheira looked at Jaina with a murderous gaze when the girl turned her back on her, and waved to the others to head back to the tavern.

?I agree, Boo, they look to be friendly,? they heard a man?s voice coming from behind when the group had walked only a few meters. Jaina glanced over her shoulder and the group stopped as a very big, muscular man approached them. He was bald, and had a blue, round tattoo on his head, going over his right eye. He had a two-handed sword attached to his back, and he was carrying something small in his big hands.
?Greetings, we are Minsc and Boo,? the man said with a friendly smile, and presented the thing he was carrying on his palms. It was a hamster, and Imoen immediately gave out a small squeak of delight.
?Hello Minsc and Boo,? Jaina replied and leaned closer to take a look at the cute little hamster. It was sniffing the air curiously. ?I am Jaina, and this my friend Imoen, these are Jaheira and Khalid and she is Viconia.?
?Ooh, you have a widdle iddle hammie,? Imoen said with a cute voice and also came closer to look at the little orange animal.
?Boo is my faithful animal companion, and more than he seems,? Minsc told the girls. ?You look like a group who strives to kick evil?s butt, and we would be in the need of your help.

?We have travelled far to explore this land, but now my charge Dynaheir has been taken from us. 'Twas gnolls, and once we have tracked them I will beat sense into their thick heads until they release her. Accompany us and bards will sing the deeds of Minsc and Boo... and friends,? the big warrior explained. He had a foreign accent, and seemed very worried of this Dynaheir person.
?Hear that, a damsel in distress! How long ago was she taken?? Jaina asked.
?Five days ago. It has been too long already, so I will go and introduce the gnolls to the heel of my boot alone with Boo, if I must.?
?Oh come on, we can?t decline to help a damsel in distress! This is classic!? Imoen said and the girls looked at the other three. Jaheira pouted once more, but Khalid and Viconia seemed ready to help.
?Sure thing, Minsc ? and Boo ? we?ll help your friend Dynaheir!? Jaina promised him.
?Ah, Boo knew you would help!? the man bellowed. ?Take heart, fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm! My friend and companion ever since my head wound, he will lead us to victory!?
Imoen looked up from Boo and blinked amazed at Jaina. ?Miniature giant space hamster??? She mouthed the words silently, and the group looked at Minsc and Boo.
Jaina couldn?t help but laugh, and she patted their new friend on the arm and turned towards the tavern.
?Let Boo lead us first to the tavern for the night, and we will leave to look for Dynaheir first thing in the morning!?

When they stepped inside the tavern and were taking off their wet cloaks, a woman armed to her teeth approached them.
?Oh come on, lady,? Jaina told her, guessing she was after the bounty on her head. ?Look at us. We?re tired and soaked by the rain and I?m actually pretty hungry. Why don?t you join us for dinner and tell us all about the people who want me dead??
?I would hate to have you rest and gather your strength, for the thing I love the most is easy coins in the purse,? the woman answered her.
?Wait just a moment here. Who are you? Just tell me why you want to kill me before you get on with it,? Jaina asked her, playing time for the team to gear up and the other customers to move further away.
?Who I am is unimportant, though my name is Neira. What I am, is a hunter of bounties, and on your head is a lovely little sum. Does this satisfy your request?? Neira told her and ascended to a steady fighting stance.
?No, not really,? Jaina said and drew her scimitar.
?I though it wouldn't. No matter.?

Neira began casting a spell, and walked backwards away from the team. Jaina and Minsc followed with their blades at the ready, but the bounty hunter shot the spell at Viconia, freezing the cleric on her tracks with a holding spell. Then she grabbed her mace and attacked Jaina. The others had their bows and slings ready, waiting for a good spot to shoot, but they were afraid they would hit Jaina or Minsc.

The melee fight of Neira versus Minsc and Jaina took over the tavern. They danced swinging their weapons at each other. As an acrobatic fighter, Jaina jumped and dodged Neira?s attack, and hopped on a table. Minsc plunged forward with his sword, but Neira blocked it with her shield. Minsc?s attack had been so strong that the woman staggered backwards, and Imoen finally got to shoot at her. The arrow hit her thigh, slowing her movements.

Jaina jumped from the table towards Neira and stabbed at her with her scimitar, but Neira parried it with her mace. Just when Jaina landed back on the floor, Neira?s mace hit her side very hard, sending the girl flying a few feet away and hit the floor. Jaina lied on the floor unable to move from the pain ? the hit had broken several ribs even though the leather armor had guarded against actual wounds.

Khalid drew his sword and replaced Jaina in the melee fight. Imoen got another arrow in Neira?s abdomen, and Jaheira was shooting bullets at her with the sling instead of healing Jaina with her druidic spells. Jaina tried to sit up on the floor, grunting with pain and holding her side. Neira was determined to end her life, so she made her way back to her dodging and parrying Minsc?s and Khalid?s attacks. Neira was having a hard time gathering her strength with arrows in her flesh, but she swinged her mace at Jaina. The girl rolled on the floor despite the pain in her side. The mace hit the floor where Jaina?s head had been only a blink of an eye earlier. Jaina felt her scimitar on the floor beside her, grabbed its handle and rolled once again from under the mace.

Neira was so concentrated in trying to crush Jaina?s head that she did not notice to dodge Minsc?s attack. His huge sword cut Neira?s back, and before the bounty hunter knew it, she had Jaina?s curved blade in her stomach.

Viconia was freed from the irritating holding spell only a moment before Neira fell on the ground beside Jaina. The bounty hunter was dead, but also Jaina felt like she was about to black out. She held her wounded side and panting hard she fell back on the floor. Viconia dashed to her and cast a healing spells just when Jaina thought the pain was too much. The drow helped her sit up, and Minsc offered her his big hand. Jaina was raised back on her feet, and she breathed easier after Viconia?s spell.
?Feisty bitch,? the dark girl muttered looking at Neira?s body at her feet. Then she looked up at Jaheira. ?Correct me if I am wrong, but you are the team?s healer, right??
?I am sorry. I was cut off from you,? Jaheira said. The one thing that had cut her off from Jaina was one single table.
?I was held by a spell,? Viconia told Jaheira. ?You clearly saw that and knew that I could not help. Was it really too much for your highness to jump over a table??

Imoen had picked up a familiar looking letter from Neira?s body. She opened it read it quickly.
?680 gold pieces!? the redhead announced and handed the bounty notice to Jaina.
?Nice! We?re really getting there. Now, if only I had a team that actually worked, we might have a chance of surviving the next bounty hunter,? she said and glanced at Jaheira who pursed her lips.
?You have a bounty on your head?? Minsc asked Jaina looking puzzled. The girl answered by handing him the bounty notice. Minsc read it ? quite slowly, and holding Boo so that he could see the letter as well.
?I have had these assassins on my tail ever since I left my home in Candlekeep. They killed my foster father, Gorion. I have no clue of why someone would want to kill me, but I will find out, and avenge my father,? Jaina explained to him.
?Minsc and Boo will help you! Once Dynaheir is rescued, we will aid you to smite the evil that killed your father, Jaina.?

The group then apologized to the inn keeper, and fetched a Flaming Fist officer. It was becoming a habit ? they always left bodies in their wake and got someone else to pick them up. The team sat in the tavern over a hearty dinner, and shared stories of their past. Minsc, Boo and Dynaheir were from Rasheman, and the warrior gladly told the curious girls of his far-away homeland. After the dinner, Jaina quietly said to Jaheira, ?I think it would be best if you and I had a talk in private.?

The two women retired to a room, leaving the rest four in the tavern. Khalid looked grim and sad because everybody knew what Jaina wanted to talk about, and could guess what the outcome would be.

Edited by Ilmatar, 10 June 2007 - 06:22 AM.

#10 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

Chapter 10 was getting longer and longer and longer and longer... until I decided to cut it in a place that felt good. What was left is in chapter 11, which will be up quite soon.

Chapter 10 - Nauseatingly Wonderful

When Imoen woke up the following morning she noticed that Jaina had already left the room. She was once again sharing the room with her. The dark girl had been quieter than usual in the evening, and when had they retired to their room, Jaina had told her that Jaheira and Khalid would not be travelling with them anymore. Apparently Jaina and Jaheira had had a good talk together, and decided that going separate ways was best for everyone.

Imoen got up from the bed, washed her face and brushed her hair. Most of Jaina?s gear was still in the room, so she was probably in the tavern. That?s where Imoen found her when she had put some clothes on. Jaina was sitting by the counter, talking with Jaheira and Khalid.
?Now remember, Jaina, that even though we are not the best of friends, you are still Gorion?s daughter. We will always aid and help you if you need something,? Jaheira told the girl in a motherly tone. Imoen came up to them, and Jaheira added, ?That goes for you too.?
?So you?re leaving?? the redhead asked.
?Y-yes. I w-will miss both of you g-girls, so p-puh-please do not be strangers,? Khalid stuttered and smiled sadly.
?Aww, Khalid,? Imoen said and hugged the half-elven man tight. ?I will miss you too.?
The girl hugged Jaheira, also, even though the druid did not seem especially comfortable with it. Jaina stood up from the bar stool and shook hands with Jaheira.
?Thanks for everything, seriously.?
?You take care, and go into the mines as soon as possible. You promised me, remember?? Jaheira said and Jaina nodded smiling.
?Yes, ma?am.?

Jaina hugged Khalid before the half-elves left the tavern. The girls sat down by the counter, and Viconia joined them. She had also woken up recently, and was already wearing her gloves, cloak and hood to hide her race.
?Morning, Vicky,? Jaina said to her. ?For your information, Jaheira and Khalid just left.?
?Ahh, this morning gets better and better,? the drow smiled. ?It was very good getting to sleep in a real bed, and now the irritating couple is gone, as well.?
?Yeah well, maybe I can breathe a little easier, too,? Jaina said, and after a pause added, ?Or not.?
?Good morning, ladies!? they heard the familiar, merry voice of Minsc. He sat down beside the girls, and placed Boo on the counter letting him run around freely.
?Minsc and Boo saw from the window that the druid and her husband were outside. Have they left??
?Yes, they have left. It?s just the four of us now,? Jaina told him and sighed.
?I thought you would be happy to get Jaheira off your back?? Imoen said and looked worriedly at Jaina.
?Hmm? I am, really. I just had a really? strange dream last night, and that?s why I got up so early.?
?A dream, huh! What was is about??

?I saw? Gorion. I just realized this morning that I haven?t really had any real dreams after his death, but now this one seemed so? real. And so intense.?
Imoen took Jaina?s hand, and let her talk about it in her own pace. Viconia and Minsc were listening to her too, even though Viconia was stroking Boo?s soft fur with her forefinger.
?He was dead in the dream, too, but I saw him as.. as a ghost, I guess. Then there was this path in a dark forest, and I really wanted to go and take that path. But Gorion was there with me, and his presence sort of.. made me turn away from it. I don?t know what it means, or where the path led. But it seemed so? obvious. And seductive. Calling for me, you know? The weirdest thing was that just when I woke up, I heard a booming voice say, ?You will learn!? and I sort of still heard it when I was already awake.?
?Weird,? Imoen said. ?But dreams always are, right? Don?t worry about it. It doesn?t mean anything.?
?Oh yeah?? Jaina said and lifted Imoen?s shirt sleeve and revealed a small wound she had gotten the day before from one of the bandits that had attacked them on the road. ?Watch this.?

Jaina placed her hand on the wound and concentrated. Suddenly there was a bright light coming from her palm, and when Jaina took her hand away, the wound was healed as if it was never there.
?Wow!? Imoen shouted. ?How did you do that?!?
?I have no idea.?
?No, seriously!?
?Seriously! I?ve just had the feeling since I woke up, and? it worked!?
Minsc and Viconia came to take a closer look at Imoen?s arm. They both had seen the wound last night, and were amazed.
?But I thought Viconia was the priestess?? Minsc said.
?She is! I am not a cleric, and I have never had a special interest for any gods, and I have never known how to cast a spell in my life! And now I can heal small wounds!?
?Well hey, it?s not as if you cause plague. You can do healing spells! So that?s all good, right?? Imoen said.
?Yeah, you?re probably right. But it?s still weird.?
?Weird or not, healing spells are always useful for butt-kicking heroes. Come, we must head for the Gnoll Stronghold to rescue my charge!? Minsc reminded the ladies.

The four of them gathered their equipment and left the tavern. They visited the Nashkel Shop next door, and the girls sold most of the jewellery and gems they had plundered in Beregost. They bought what little they needed and then headed towards west and the Gnoll Stronghold.

On the southern side of Nashkel was another small bridge. Nearby was a tavern filled with local drunkards, but on the yard sat a bearded wizard. Some local peasant was bothering him constantly, asking questions like, ?Hey have you ever seen a dragon?? or, ?Why are you wearing a red skirt?? or, ?Are you going to throw stones at me yet?? to which the irritated wizard answered, ?No, but I am going to throw fireballs at you if you will not stop bothering me, you brainless little tick! (Why me, WHY? Why not send the useless Samilden whelp, so I could have stayed back in Thay?)?

Jaheira and Khalid were passing the tavern and heading towards the bridge. The wizard overheard them talking.
?I am s-sure Jaina will be ju-just fine,? the man stuttered.
?Maybe. That Minsc fellow seemed to have his heart in the right place, even though he was talking to a rodent?? his wife answered.
?Yes, with a w-warrior like him with her, Ja-jay-jaina should be safe.?

Then the couple was too far away for the wizard to hear more, but he had heard enough.
?Minsc? That Rashemani half-wit is already with her??? he thought out loud, and when the pestering peasant dared to approach him with another stupid question, a series of Thayvian curse words and a minor explosion occurred in the yard of the tavern. The wizard left the scene with his robes fluttering behind him, leaving the peasant with burned eyebrows and a blackened face.

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

?So your dejemma is to protect Dynaheir?? Imoen asked Minsc.
?Yes. It will be a sad and humiliating day if I fail,? he admitted.
?But she?s a mage, right??
?Yes she is, and a very powerful one, too.?
?So chances are that she?s okay, and has probably even piled a fair amount of gnolls.?
Minsc smiled and nodded. ?You are smart, little Imoen. Minsc hopes you are right.?
?Wow, wow, hold!? they heard Jaina?s voice.

The group had been travelling towards west the whole day making good time. Jaina was walking more or less in the lead of the group, while Minsc and Imoen had followed her chatting for a while and Viconia had been walking behind them. Now Jaina had stopped and lifted her hand up getting everybody?s attention. The three others gathered around Jaina to see why she had stopped.

They saw a large horde of gnolls maybe a hundred meters away, and something was buzzing and swirling amongst them. The gnolls fell one by one until there was only one man standing. A dark elf with thick, long, white hair glowing in the sunlight sheathed his two scimitars and turned to face the amazed group of adventurers. His cloak flowed behind him as he came to the group with quick, silent steps.

?Greetings, adventurers! Would you be so kind as to help a fellow traveller on the road? My way back to the Dales has been a rough one ? the Swoad Coast seems filled with monsters and bandits!? he talked in an extremely sophisticated manner and gave a small, polite bow. They spotted yet another large band of gnolls approaching, and when they noticed the bodies of their dead friends, they started roaring and barking loudly and pointed their huge halbereds at Drizzt Do?Urden and the others.
?Uh, sure!? Jaina got to say when already Drizzt dashed off to meet the gnolls halfway.

Jaina drew her own scimitar and Minsc his two-handed sword, while Viconia took her sling and a handful of bullets and Imoen placed an arrow on her bow. When they raised their weapons, their jaws fell open, and then they lowered them feeling extremely embarrassed. Drizzt had already disposed of all of the gnolls and was already returning back to them, sheathing his fine scimitars.
?Thank you kindly for your help! ?Tis not often I have met a friendly face on this journey,? the dark elf said.
?Y-yes? Yes! Right, of course we helped you out. We gotta keep together, we adventurers, don?t we!? Jaina laughed awkwardly and put her own scimitar away. It had looked like a silly toy compared to Drizzt?s beautiful blades. The others quietly put their own weapons away as well, and Imoen noticed how Viconia moved to stand behind Minsc?s big figure.
?Indeed! My name is Drizzt Do?Urden, but who might you be??
?I?m Jaina! Say, those are really fantastic scimitars you have there,? Jaina pointed at the blades on the man?s hips. ?Where on the face of Faerun could you have found those??
?Ahh, these are two very special and unique blades,? Drizzt said and pulled his right hand sword. ?This is Icingdeath. I found it long ago from a dragon?s lair, amongst the beast?s many treasures.?
?You slayed the dragon?? Minsc had to ask.
?Yes, together with a friend of mine.? The drow put Icingdeath away and drew his left hand scimitar.
?And this is Twinkle,? he introduced the blade. ?It glows blue when danger is near ? as you can now see, those were probably the last of the gnolls nearby,? he said referring to the blade not glowing. Jaina had indeed noticed it leaving blue trails in the very rapid battle. ?A mage friend of mine gave it to me, and it has served me well on my journeys.?

Jaina realized that getting swords like those wouldn?t be easy. She would lose all her limbs if she even tried any horseplay with Drizzt, and would probably end up toasted if she dared to go into a dragon?s lair. Suddenly she felt really small, really young and really inexperienced. Despite that, Drizzt in all his glory was a beautiful man, the most powerful fighter she had ever seen, was polite, good, and humble, and he made Jaina feel seriously nauseated.

?I should continue on my way ? I have a long journey ahead of me. Good luck to you in your travels, Jaina, it was good meeting you.? The dark elf bowed and left heading towards North.

The four adventurers were quiet for a long time after Drizzt had left them. Jaina was the first one to open her mouth.
?What kind of a dolt names his weapons? I mean ? Twinkle??

¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Jaina, Imoen, Viconia and Minsc stood on a cliff. On their right side was a fall to a deep river, and on their left side was a hill. On top of that hill was an old, ruined fortress that now served as a stronghold for gnolls.
?Dynaheir must be there! I will tear this hill down if I must, for my charge has to be saved! Raaaaghhh!? Minsc yelled, drew his sword and suddenly charged towards the stone stairs leading up to the fort. The three girls immediately sprung after him ? not to charge at the fortress with him, but to stop him.
?Nonono no Minsc, wait!? Jaina screamed and jumped on his back, but the berserker kept on running, ignoring the girl clinging to his back. ?Minsc, stop for crying out loud, this is suicide!?
?Boo! Tell him to stop!? Imoen yelled running after them.

Minsc suddenly stopped and took Boo out of the little pocket in his armor he had made especially for the hamster. The man was panting after running and was calming down a bit. Jaina slid down from his back, looking seasick after the rough ride.
?You are right,? he said. ?Boo says I should calm down and listen to Jaina.?
?Thank you, Boo! Good thing you have him with you, Minsc,? Jaina panted. ?Okay, let?s fall back so we won?t attract any more attention. There are only four of us, so charging into a stronghold filled with gnolls really doesn?t sound like the best idea to me.?

The four of them returned back to the river and gazed up at the stronghold. It was getting dark, and now Viconia, too, found it easier to look around.
?The fort is full of life,? the drow said since she saw more with her eyes than her human companions. ?There must be at least a hundred gnolls, if not more.?
?Can you make out where Dynaheir is?? Minsc asked.
?No. I only see the variances of warmth. This far away it is difficult to make out any individuals.?
?Hey, I?ve got an idea!? Imoen said and took her arrow vine from her back. She reached into the vine and from between the arrows; she picked up the telescope she had nicked from the pirate in Beregost. She unfolded it and handed it to Viconia. ?Try this!?
The drow took the telescope and raised it to her eye, closing the other one. ?Now this is much more efficient,? she said and slowly zoomed around the fort with the telescope.
?Indeed. There are a lot of gnolls, I think,? she said after a while. ?They are mostly in larger groups here and there around the fort. But wait,? she suddenly said and concentrated on one spot. ?I see a trace of warmth that is alone and separate from the larger groups. And it is smaller than what I believe are gnolls.?
?That one must be Dynaheir! I bet she?s a prisoner, and they are keeping her somewhere restricted,? Jaina pondered.
Viconia lowered telescope and pointed towards the fort. ?Somewhere around there. It is quite far away from us, and quite high. I cannot say where it is exactly, but now we have a hunch, at least. It will be clearer when we enter the stronghold and see how it is built.?

Viconia gave the telescope back to Imoen, and Jaina turned towards her companions.
?Alright. We need to proceed carefully. Like Viconia said, there are lot of gnolls up there, but they are in groups. Plus, it?s getting dark, so I?m betting most of them are soon going to turn in for the night. I suggest we try sneaking in, avoid being seen, avoid battles, and get Dynaheir out of there quietly but quickly. Viconia should be extremely alert because we really need to rely on your special eyesight a lot.?
?Minsc would prefer to hack all the gnolls in one big pile for taking Dynaheir, but you are right. Rescuing her is more important this time,? the big berserker said.
?Exactly. I suggest we wait until it?s completely dark. Minsc ? I hope you take care that your armor will not clink too much. We girls are so small and light that not being seen is easier for us,? Jaina said.
?For Dynaheir?s safety I will sneak the best I can!?

The group sat down to rest a little and wait for night to fall. Minsc adjusted his armor and covered himself with a knee-length cloak so that the shiny chain mail would not reflect light and attract attention. The women also saw to their gear, and the whole group left their backpacks with all unneeded items behind a big bush near the river. They took their one single healing potion along with them, but Viconia promised she could help with a spell or two if it was needed. Jaina took her crossbow and her scimitar with her, while Imoen took her short bow and a dagger. Minsc?s two-handed sword was tied to his back, and Boo was in his special little pocket. Viconia knelt down and closed her eyes to say a prayer to Shar to grant her power.

The hazy twilight turned into the darkness of the night soon, and Jaina was the first one to get back up on her feet.
?Are you ready to go?? she asked them.
?I am ready,? Viconia announced.
?Let us go! Boo is getting anxious with all this standing about. We are a man and a hamster of action!? Minsc said so excitedly that Jaina had to remind him to be calm. The last thing this rescue mission needed was a berserker on the loose.

#11 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

EDIT: Fixed Dynaheir's lines, thanks Liam. :hug:

Chapter 11 - The Rescue Mission

Jaina took the lead. Viconia followed her, the third one on the line was Minsc and Imoen was the last. Jaina hurriedly sneaked halfway the stairs with her crossbow at the ready. She slid on her stomach on the wide, stony stair just when a gnoll night guard appeared to the top of the stairs. Jaina waved at Viconia not to follow her yet, and waited until the gnoll had descended so far that he could not be seen from the fort. The beast was getting dangerously close to Jaina, whose black cloack helped her conceal herself. When the gnoll finally turned towards her general direction, sniffing the air suspiciously, Jaina launched her crossbow that was right under her chin. The gnoll fell down with a thump, its chest pierced by the bolt.

Jaina made sure no other gnolls had followed or witnessed the incident, and waved at the others. Minsc helped roll the body off the stairs to the bushes beneath. Jaina crouched up the stairs and Viconia followed her. They saw a large group of gnolls on the other side of the plateau.
?Maybe 15,? Viconia whispered an estimated number.
?Only two guards,? Jaina answered. Most of the group was asleep on bedrolls and simple tents, but two gnolls were awake obviously as night guards. They seemed to be playing some game ? though Jaina could not imagine what a gnoll game could be like. They also spotted a staircase leading up on their right, and Jaina turned towards Imoen and Minsc who were further back on the stairs. She waved at them to follow her to the right, and after making sure the gnoll guards weren?t paying attention to anything else than their game, she sneaked off with light steps. Quickly she crouched to the bottom of the stairs, and waved to Viconia signaling her to follow.

When Viconia reached her, Jaina started climbing the stony steps. The excitement and the challenge got adrenaline to flow in her veins, and her heart beat hard in her chest. The stairs were steep so she could not see if there was someone on the landing above her. Minsc had also sneaked over to Viconia when Jaina reached the top. She took a peek at the landing, and saw gnoll feet only two meters away, and quickly ducked back down before the beasts could notice her.

She climbed back down.
?Crap!? she hissed at the others. ?There?s like ten gnolls up there, no way we can sneak past them.?
?What ever we do, we gotta move fast before those two bozos notice us,? Imoen whispered and pointed at the two night guards.
Jaina was silent for a moment, trying to furiously think of a way to get past the gnolls, but couldn?t. ?Okay. Surprise attack. They haven?t noticed us yet, so Minsc ? you?ll be the first to go up. Don?t let them hear you on the stairs, but when you get up, don?t waste time. Attack right away, and try pulling them away from the stairs. We?ll follow right after you,? Jaina explained as quietly as she could.

Minsc nodded and grinned ? he was happy to get to kick some gnoll butt. The man turned and climbed up the stairs silently, but when he reached the top, he did exactly as Jaina had instructed ? he drew his sword without wasting time and attacked swiftly. Jaina followed him, and was happy to see that Minsc had drawn the gnolls? attention to himself, and was leading the lot away from the stairs to the left. Jaina moved to the left when she got up to the landing and set a bolt to her crossbow, and started shooting at the gnolls targeting the one Minsc was fighting at the moment.

Imoen came up right after Jaina, and placed herself beside her. Once she raised her bow, Jaina told her which gnoll to hit, and they shot at the same beast at the same time to get them down as fast as possible. Viconia was the last to climb up the stairs, and she immediately grabbed her mace and swung it at the closest gnoll, engaging it to melee battle.

The ten gnolls were cut down in a record-setting time, but it had not gone without noticing. The landing had two deep pits to the right of the stairs and the rescue team. There was only a very narrow, one foot wide route around the two pits, and between them was one really angry gnoll horde.

?Oh no,? Jaina said out loud. There were easily a dozen gnolls coming around the first pit to teach the team a lesson, but Minsc in his fighting frenzy had been faster than them. He had met the gnolls halfway, and was already hacking down the first gnoll. The three women realized then that only one person could walk past the deep pit at a time without falling in, and that none of the gnolls had long range weapons. Quickly they assembled behind Minsc, who held the gnolls on the other side of the pit, fighting only one at a time. The girls shot bolts, arrows and bullets at the rest of the roaring and barking gnolls, taking them down one by one. Some of the gnolls tried jumping over the pit, but did not make it. They fell in, and were finished by the ladies.

The gnolls did not last long against the fierce warrior and the three women. Some of them even tried running away, but Imoen noticed and shot them down before they could run off to get more friends to help. When the last one of them was taken down, Minsc leaned to the wall trying to catch his breath.
?That is what Minsc calls serious butt-kicking!? he said with a triumphant smile. He had been in most danger being the only one who had been in one-on-one fight with the gnolls. Even though he had come through a winner in this match, he had still taken some blows.
?Are you alright?? Jaina asked him, and the warrior nodded.
?Minsc and Boo have been through worse.?
?Good job, then? Jaina said and waved the others to come back to the top of the stairs. ?Isn?t this the area where you saw someone separate from the gnoll groups?? she asked Viconia quietly.
?Yes, and I believe there is someone down in the second pit,? Viconia nodded and pointed towards it.
?Dynaheir!? Minsc said a little too loudly, but the girls hushed him.
?We don?t know what is behind that corner!? Jaina said.
?If Dynaheir is in that pit, maybe me and Jaina could scout closer and see if we can get her up without attracting any more attention?? Imoen suggested. The others felt it was reasonable, and so Viconia and Minsc stayed by the stairs to keep a look out for any possible guards, while Jaina and Imoen sneaked past the first pit and crouched to the edge of the second one. They lied on the ground face down and peeked down to the pit. It was very dark in the pit, but they could make out a figure sitting in the bottom.
?Hello?? Jaina whispered loudly. The figure below moved and seemed to stand up.
?Thy are not gnolls,? they heard a woman?s voice answer. She had a foreign accent, and the girls guessed she was the Rashemani witch they were after.
?Are you Dynaheir?? Jaina asked to be sure.
?Yes. Who art thou??
?Shh! Not so loud! We?re Jaina and Imoen. Minsc is with us, and we?re getting you out of here. Are you hurt??
?Not too badly. I am able to walk.?
?Good. Can you climb up??
?Alas, I cannot. I have tried, but this pit is too deep and the walls too smooth.?
?Okay. We?ll think of something. Wait here a moment, and please be as quiet as possible.?
Jaina pulled away from the edge of the pit and turned to give a thumbs-up to Minsc who gave a beaming, relieved smile.
?Do we have rope?? Jaina asked Imoen, who shook her head.
?Why didn?t we bring any rope?? she muttered, but the redhead simply shrugged.

The two of them returned to Minsc and Viconia.
?Dynaheir is in there, and she?s okay. The problem is that she can?t climb up, and don?t have any rope to get her up,? Jaina told them.
?This cannot be! We must get her up from the pit!? Minsc protested.
?I?m betting the gnolls would have rope, or something that would get Dynaheir up,? Imoen said.

The group suddenly fell very quiet and all four of them held their breaths as they heard foot steps below the stairs. A gnoll guard was walking by, but the infiltrators were crouching on the landing above him, so they went unnoticed. After a while the gnoll was gone, and the group sat back up again.
?I hope you?re not thinking of going up to them and saying, ?Scuse me, messiers, but would you have any rope I could borrow?? ? Jaina said.
?Well now that you mention it??
Jaina poked Imoen.
?I?m kidding, stupid, I?m kidding,? Imoen protested and suppressed laughter. ?I was thinking of nicking it.?
Jaina peeked over the low wall to the sleeping gnolls below them. The gnoll that had passed them a moment earlier had joined the other three night guards, but they were still playing their game. Imoen came to take a look too, and they spotted a piece of rope near some of the tents.
?D?you think that?s long enough?? Imoen asked.
?Has to be atleast ten feet. We?ll get Dynaheir up with that alright, because we don?t have anything better.?
?Good point. I?ll go??
?Yep. Be careful. We?ll give back up if you blow it,? Jaina said and grinned.

Jaina and Viconia took good places upstairs by the wall. Jaina readied her crossbow and Viconia her sling. Minsc and Imoen went downstairs, but Minsc stayed by the stairs while Imoen sneaked off alone towards the gnolls. Jaina held her breath watching her get closer to the beasts? it felt horrifying sending her alone to sneak among 15 gnolls. It was actually very difficult to make out where Imoen was in the darkness below ? she was skilled in stealth, and Jaina could only spot her because she knew she was there.

The gnolls, however, were oblivious of any outsiders, even though one of them was only a few meters away from them. Imoen crouched silently and slowly past them, her dark cloak and big hood helping her hide in the night. The gnolls only had one torch lit, so Imoen found it very easy to find shadows where to hide. The tricky part came when she reached the sleeping gnolls. The dog-like beasts smelled horrible when they were snoring in close quarters to each other, so Imoen had hard time breathing without being heard. She was still on her haunches for a while, staring at the sleeping gnolls to make sure none of them were awake. There was maybe ten gnolls sleeping on bedrolls under the sky, and three more under the simple tents in the far side of the landing. The rope she was after was outside one of the tents, so she had to sneak past or through the sleeping gnolls.

Imoen gathered the hem of her cloak to her hands, and carefully tiptoed past the first sleeping beast, keeping close to the wall on her right. The night guards were sitting some meters to her left, grunting quietly in their own primitive language while playing their game. Imoen kept an eye on them and holding her breath she stepped over one gnoll. Then she froze completely when the next sleeping gnoll suddenly turned on its bedroll towards her. Imoen was afraid that it had woken up, but luckily it simply turned in its sleep and Imoen went unnoticed.

She carefully kept going over and past the gnolls to the side of the tent. She found the rope and after quietly rolling it she put it on her shoulder and made her way back. Her worn boots were so soft and light that they felt almost like thick socks, so they were perfect for sneaking. She got past the gnolls once again successfully and returned to Minsc. They climbed up the stairs quietly, and Jaina immediately met them and patted Imoen on the back.
?That was some mean sneaking you did there, you rascal,? she grinned and Imoen?s cheeks flushed.
?I had no idea I was that good,? she admitted. ?But I guess spending almost 20 years sneaking around in a library of all the places teaches you to move quietly.?

Imoen and Jaina sneaked off to the second pit again, leaving Minsc and Viconia behind by the stairs. Jaina laid down by the edge of the pit while Imoen found a big stone brick and tied the rope's other end around it.
"Hi again," Jaina whispered to the darkness beneath.
"Hast thou found a solution?"
"Yeah, we found rope," Jaina answered and Imoen threw the other end of it down to the pit.
"Climb up!"
The rope tightened as the witch started climbing. After a short while Imoen and Jaina saw a dark skinned woman in a violet, shabby robe climb up. They pulled her up from the pit, but just as they were about to stand up, a gnoll guard appeared from behind the corner.
"Oh that's just classic," Jaina said sourly when the beast noticed them and roared angrily calling for its friends, pointing at them with its halberd.
"RUN!" Jaina shouted, grabbed Dynaheir's hand and pulled her up with her. Imoen had sprung up on her feet as well, and the three girls ran past the pit back to Minsc and Viconia.
"Dynaheir! Oh we are glad to see you back!" Minsc bellowed and smiled, but Jaina and Imoen hectically pointed behind them.
"No time!" Jaina shouted as the gnoll guard was running towards them, and behind the corner emerged at least five more, and all of them were barking and shouting so loudly the whole stronghold was waking up from its rest.
"Run!" Jaina repeated and the party dashed off.

Jaina didn't climb halfway down the stairs before she jumped down and rolled smoothly back on her feet as she landed. Viconia followed her with elf's dexterous moves, Minsc climbed down after her and helped both Dynaheir and Imoen down. The redhead was in real hurry to get down because just when she started descending the stairs, she had to duck down to avoid being decapitated by a halberd's swing. Jaina, who was the first down, had already drawn her scimitar - the night guards on the landing had been alerted by the other gnolls' roaring, and had spotted the fleeing rescue team. The three guards were the first ones to reach Jaina, who plunged forwards with confident moves. She did not even try blocking the halberd attacks of the gnolls, but she jumped over them, rolled away from their reach and quickly threw herself back towards the gnolls. She attacked with her scimitar, making quick stabs and cuts, and when the gnoll thrust its halberd towards her again, she acrobatically rolled away from it, then turned suddenly back and with the movement energy of the turn she kicked the gnoll's hand hard, making the beast stagger. That got Jaina the window to finish the gnoll with a deep cut with the curved blade to its chest. Meanwhile Minsc had dealt with the second gnoll, hacking it down, shouting furiously battle cries that might have been amusing in any other situation. Dynaheir could not do a thing since she was already wounded, she had no weapons and was unable to cast any spells. Viconia, on the other hand, quickly cast a holding spell at the third night guard gnoll, and then ran to it grabbing her mace, and crushed its head cold blooded. When Imoen got down the stairs, she raised her bow immediately and shot the first gnoll who attempted to follow her. The beast gave its last scream of pain, and fell down the stairs hitting the ground hard.

When the night guards were dealt with, the four women and Minsc realized that there was already almost ten gnolls following them down the stairs, and the sleeping beasts had woken up by the racket of the battle. As one man, the five of them spurted away to the stairs leading down to the cliffs. It would have been a comical sight, if followed from afar: a group of adventurers running for their lives (two of the young women shrieking with both fear and joy of the heat) and a growing group of gnolls following them only some twenty-thirty feet behind them.

The party reached the cliffs, made a curve by the bush where their equipment was, picked them up without stopping and continued over to the bridge leading over the river. The gnolls were getting closer to them, especially as the bridge was very narrow, unstable and shabby. The five of them running across it already strained the bridge, but when the gnolls followed them, one by one adding more and more weight on the wood-and-rope bridge, it started to squeak and stagger so much that it felt as if it could fall apart in any moment.
"Faster!" Jaina shouted to the others - she being the last one on the line. "The bridge will fall soon!"
The gnolls did not understand that the bridge would not hold everything - and without waiting that others would get to the other side, they packed onto the bridge that had had enough. The ropes on the stronghold's end started to break. Dynaheir got to the other side with Imoen following her, but just then the ropes holding the bridge on the other side snapped. Minsc barely got to the cliff, and Viconia had to jump and throw herself there - she hit the cliff's edge and rolled to safety. Jaina, who was the last one, shrieked as the bridge fell underneath her, and the gnolls behind her fell with it to the streaming river beneath them. The dark haired girl got a grasp of the bridge's ropes and was hanging by her hands. The bridge's other end was in the river, now, and Jaina still had two persistent gnolls gripping the bridge underneath her.

"Jaina!" Imoen shouted as the bridge fell. The four of them dashed to the edge of the cliff to see if she had fallen along with it, but saw to their relief that she was hanging beneath them.
"Climb up!" Minsc told her and reached towards her with his big hand.
"I'm trying!" Jaina grunted back as she pulled herself up one wooden plank at a time. The gnolls beneath her had also started climbing up towards her, but luckily they had dropped their halberds when the bridge fell apart. Jaina climbed until she could reach Minsc's hands. She felt unsure of letting of of the bridge, but she trusted the warrior's strength so much, that she grabbed his hand. Minsc pulled her up groaning - even though Jaina was a lean girl and not too tall either, she was carrying all her equipment and her backpack with her. Imoen helped Minsc pull the girl up, and Viconia hacked the bridge's ropes broken before the gnolls could reach the cliff. They fell down to the river with the rest of the bridge, and were washed down river to the sea. Jaina laid on the cliff's edge on her back, panting furiously.

"By the nine hells," she said and wiped sweat from her face. "That was really close."
"Thank Mask for your quick reflexes," Imoen said and then grinned. "But was that cool or WHAT!"
Jaina started laughing a bit out of breath. "Yeah, that was wicked! Rescue mission accomplished."
"I thank thee for saving me," Dynaheir said. She was a magnificent woman - her brown skin was of a delicious tint, her body was curvy while quite fit, and her hair was curly and long. She had big, hanging earrings and equally big and an imposing necklace. Her violet robes had been tattered and torn in the hands of the gnolls, and she had cuts in her arms and her sides.
"I am afraid I have naught else to offer thee as thanks but mine services," the witch continued. "Mayhap thou wouldst allow Minsc and myself to accompany thee in thy travels? 'Tis true that there lies safety in numbers, and a mishap such as this wouldst not reoccur so easily."

Jaina sat up and the moved further away from the edge of the cliff.
"You're absolutely right. I think we would love to have you join us," she said, and Imoen nodded excitedly. Viconia showed her agreement to her by offering Dynaheir their last healing potion. The witch now noticed that the cleric was indeed a drow, but before she could mention it, Jaina asked her, "How did you get imprisoned in the first place?"
"I was traveling with Minsc, as thou must now well know. 'Twas night, and we were ambushed in our camp. Minsc acquired yet another knock to his head, and before he couldst recover from it, I was spirited away. 'Twould not have happened had we been larger a group."
The witch drank the healing potion.
"Wouldst thou be so kind as to explain..."she began and eyed Viconia rather suspiciously.
"Do not eye me in that manner, rivvil. I am a drow, yes, but I am an outcast. My name is Viconia, and I do not serve the spider queen Lloth any longer, but I receive my blessings and powers from Shar," the drow explained like an automate response.
"Vicky is okay," Imoen said and smiled. "Kinda grumpy, but she's nice even though she doesn't admit it."
The drow gave a dismissive snort at Imoen. Dynaheir seemed to be pleased with this explanation, and held no undue prejudice towards Viconia. If Minsc and the others had traveled with her without problems, so could she.
"It's been a long day and a rough night," Jaina said and stood up. "We should probably get away from the cliff and the stronghold in case the gnolls find a way to follow us even though the bridge collapsed. Let's find a place to set camp and get back to Nashkel tomorrow."

An hour later when they had found a place to set camp, the exhausted group fell sound asleep right away. Dynaheir, who had spent her days sitting on the bottom of pit instead of traveling and fighting, volunteered to take the first guard shift. Jaina gave her some of her rations since the witch had not eaten well during the time she had been captured. Dynaheir sat by the small fire eating, and her eyes were set tightly on the sleeping Jaina. Dynaheir thought of her mission which she had deliberately not mentioned to her new friends, and wondered if she had finally hit gold.

Edited by Ilmatar, 15 June 2007 - 01:50 AM.

#12 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

Thanks to berelinde for helping with Dynaheir's lines!

Chapter 12 - Enemies as Allies

Edwin Odesseiron was getting seriously irritated. He had been in Nashkel for days on end, and still hadn't met the Bhaalspawn brat, even though it was obvious she had already arrived, disposed of an assassin in the tavern and joined up with the half-wit ranger (apparently she was a hot topic amongst the villagers who had nothing better to do than sit around and share rumors). He returned to the southern bridge of Nashkel to get away from the locals and to keep an eye at the roads in case his target would finally arrive.

His wait ended finally when he noticed a group of adventurers approaching from the west. He recognized the Rashemani berserker right away, since he was the tallest and the biggest of the group that consisted, he noted, of him and four women. He also spotted the dark skinned witch amongst them, and the wizard muttered something to himself, trying to figure out what to say now that Dynaheir was already in their group. Of course the witch herself was only a minor nuisance and it was far more important to get close to the Bhaalspawn.

Speaking of the Bhaalspawn - the dark haired girl was walking in the lead of the group with a girl of her age who had very bright red hair. Both of them were fairly petite - though the dark girl was taller than the other one ? and had only light armor to protect them. The redhead carried a bow while the dark one had a crossbow on her back. They looked rather roguish, but even though their equipment and outfits were marked by traveling and fighting, they looked inexperienced. Edwin recognized the darker one as his target, and placed himself on the bridge to meet them, making sure he looked both intimidating and irresistibly handsome - at least in his own mind.

"Ooh, look. A wizard," Imoen said quietly when they were getting closer to the bridge. She poked Jaina to her side in a suggestive manner.
"Yeah, a wizard, so what?" Jaina snorted dismissively.
?You like wizards!?
?You?re generalizing again.?
?But you do!?
?Come on. That one wears all red robes. Is that bad taste or what?? Jaina raised her eyebrows.
?Perchance not bad taste alone,? Dynaheir pointed out. ?That he is a Red Wizard of Thay bespeaks a taste more foul than even these dealings. Thou wouldst do well to be wary of the man.?
?An old friend of yours, then?? Jaina smirked at Dynaheir over her shoulder but looked back towards the Red Wizard as they approached the bridge.

?Greetings! I am Edwin Odesseiron. I would have wished to hire you to find my quarry, but I see she is already within your midst!? the man introduced himself with an arrogant expression and a foreign accent.

He looked indeed alien among the peasants of the Sword Coast ? his robes were extravagant, filled with fine embroidery, and his dark beard was very neatly trimmed. Jaina noticed that he had golden jewelry of many sorts ? rings, bracelets and a diadem on his forehead. He probably even had earrings hidden under his large red hood. His skin was of the similar olive hue as hers ? a permanent rich tan of the eastern countries ? and his eyes of the similar mysterious dark brown as hers. Having lived on the Sword Coast in a very small village for all of her life, she had never really met anyone like him. The fact that he possessed arcane knowledge and skills was not exactly a turn off either.

?You mean Dynaheir? My, you really are old friends, then!? Jaina grinned as she walked closer.
?Friends?!? Minsc bellowed and pointed Boo towards Edwin. ?This villain is not our friend! Boo would like to teach him a lesson, and I would not stop him!?
Edwin Odesseiron simply chuckled condescendingly under his hood, as if Minsc was a naïve little boy who had said something silly.
?Dynaheir nor her brute are not to be trusted,? he told Jaina. ?I urge you to cast her from your vicinity. I understand that young little girls like you would easily fall prey to the deceitful guile of one such as her, but I am a Wizard of some renown, and I know better.?
?Oh really?? Jaina looked at the wizard raising her eyebrow. ?Why do you hunt her then, what has she done to deserve such hatred??
?My grievance with her is beyond you. Suffice to say that she must be watched by someone who? understands her ilk.? As Edwin spoke, he first looked at Dynaheir, but turned his dark gaze upon Jaina instead on his final words.
?Dost thou suggest that thou shouldst join us?? Dynaheir asked with a surprised tone.
?That is exactly what I am suggesting, witch. (Though not without resentment),? Edwin muttered under his breath.

Jaina lifted both of her eyebrows now and glanced at Imoen who shrugged looking a little wide-eyed as well.
?Dynaheir, what do you say?? the dark girl asked.
?I would only repeat what I said afore now. Be cautious with this man. Red Wizards are ever evil and untrustworthy, yet if he raiseth not my ire, I would not provoke his.?
?Your existence alone is enough to provoke my anger, witch, but I will content with having my eye on you,? Edwin pointed out and turned to look at Jaina for the final decision.
?Ohhh whatta hell. Welcome aboard, Edwin. I?m Jaina and this is Imoen. If you two don?t play nicely, I will literally kick both of you out and back to your precious homelands.?

Dynaheir and Edwin eyed each other suspiciously before nodding slowly.
?A wise decision. One can never be too cautions dealing with? her kind. (Yes, I shall watch her carefully),? the man muttered once again to himself. It seemed he was in the habit of talking to himself, and Jaina looked at Imoen again, half amused, half hesitating.
?I shall watch thee as well,? Dynaheir promised Edwin. ?Even though I expect to receive less pleasure from my task than thou from thine,? she added and raised her chin ? quite aware of her revealing neckline and curvy waist.

As Edwin walked over to the party, Viconia emerged from behind Minsc where she had been observing the discussion.
?I see that you do not like to do things the easy way, rivvil,? she remarked quietly. ?A half-wit berserker, two hostile spellcasters ? and the other one seems a half-wit as well, talking to himself like that - and even a drow now traveling with you? Not to mention an irritatingly giddy little girl,? she added looking at Imoen.
?At least we won?t get bored, eh!? Jaina grinned and looked at her companions. They looked like a very unseemly lot, just like Viconia had pointed out. Jaina still felt unsure if it was wise to have the Thayvian traveling with them, but somehow she was pleased of her assorted new friends. Indeed, collisions were sure to happen now, and arguments would be daily. As long as no one tried to overstep her own authority, she would enjoy every bit of it.

?Let?s continue to the Inn, then. Once we?re there, we can talk about what to do next,? Jaina announced and waved everybody to follow her. The mages decided to walk on different sides of the group, leaving Viconia and Minsc between them, but neither of them let the other one to fall back and out of clear sight. Imoen walked with Jaina in the lead again, and rolled her eyes at her.
?You?re crazy,? the redhead sighed. ?But I wouldn?t have you any other way, sis.?