Challenge #1: Dread and Despair

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

Finally finished it. Procrastinate? Me? Course not! Not entirely satisfied with it really. But I don't have the time (read hours/days/weeks) needed to perfect it.

Dread and Despair
My Demons

My eyes open. Demons again. They stand near, but not too near. For he stands above me. His voice is almost gentle, and he commands me to stand. I do, they are above, around beyond. But not here. Here I am safe. He tells me of many things, but the demons stay, they wait for him to leave. I know he will, but I long for him to stay. But I know I will have to face them alone.

And leave he does. He doesn?t return. That day and the next, he stays with his new prize, someone who came for the other one. Imoen! He made her cold. He took the demons from her.

But she is gone too. There is no one there now. And he has forgotten me. Irenicus, the knight, forgotten me. I face the demons, and my spells can do nothing. The walls walk through me, and I see clouds gathering, but still the rain does not come.

The new one. He said the rains would come. Irenicus? prize. Could I believe? No Irenicus had plans. The Demons were here and would always be here. But I had learned. Irenicus had taught me how to inflict the sight. It had disoriented the prize, and it could work on him as well.

And so I waited, for though I knew he would not return for me, he may return. And if not then I would seek him out. I would make him see! He would see them all! See them as I do!

Sounds come to me. I look at the demons, still running about walking through me. But my fear is less. I see the clouds. They swell. Soon all the rains of the heavens will shower upon me, and I will be free.

A woman comes to my cage; it is the girl. The cold one. Imoen. But no longer is she empty. She unlocks my cell and brings me forth. I go, and we walk through a valley of demons, but none walk where she walks. For she has no soul.

We hurry, we must. And soon we enter the room where Irenicus? prize stands. The companions enter bringing others. Soon we were all here, inmates and adventurers. Imoen stands by the prize, and the demons avoid them both. They walk elsewhere. For a moment I see a throne of blood, with pillars of energy around it. But then I see the walls again. I cannot see the throne again, no matter how I try.

The child, the changing child speaks. And the ruler scolds. Bickering. The ruler is shouting. ?You will regret the day you crossed the will of Tiax! My conquest of all is not something to be mocked!?

I cannot help, for I see a demon walk through him at that moment, and they stand on burning fields. But I know he is not there. We are caged. ?Is that the rule of all you survey, or beyond? W-w-what of those that walk inside, and around, and through? That stand where you stand now??

He laughs, he mocks. ?None stand where Tiax stands, lest he walk atop them... mm-hmm.? The gnome nods his head, and brown hair falls about his face, some of it falling through the gathering clouds. The rains will come soon.

But I must tell them all of the demons. ?As I see you do now, and beneath others. Do you not see? See them inside and behind and beyond!? I must tell them what is coming, but they will not listen. They continue talking.

But the soulless ones say nothing. They watch us argue. Until they mention him. Irenicus! ?He is cold through all the planes... none walk where he does, though they see him not!? They listen, the prize looks at me for several moments as others argue. I watch the demon walk around him. He has seen them. I revealed them to him. And his face held pain, but now he only watches.

But Irenicus must see. I will give him the sight. I know how now. I blink and we stand before him. The demons surround us. But I stand firm. The clouds break. The rain will come! And as the soulless ones raise spells and swords, I smile. The first raindrop falls. It started as the pitter-patter, bouncing off the trees, of the glass tubes I could see in this room. The trees were elsewhere. But it continued. The rains grew stronger, and I was soaked to the skin, though I was dry.

I could make him see. I had told them to be still. They were friends, but not Irenicus. He would see, and he would fear. He doesn?t see me as I walk to him. His spells are for his prize alone. The soulless ones.

A bartered soul he owns, but still he is cold. But he will see. A demon stands before me, grinning, but I walk on. Forests burn, but I press forward. And the rains fall. I reach out. Irenicus sees, and he flinches. He knows, and he fears. I was afraid, but no longer. And I touch him.

The demons vanish, and the rain stops. Irenicus screams. But I smile; I am free. And though I see no rain I dance. Dance as I dream of the streams of heaven flowing upon my cheeks.

Something pierces my back. An arrow, flames wreathed around it. I turn to Irenicus and smile. And even as I fall to the ground I see the demons again. But with the demons comes the rain. And as I closed my eyes for the last time, I felt the rain wash over my skin.

A hand rested on the eyes of the downed woman for a few moments. ?I?m sorry Aphril. Your demons?well I have my own now. Maybe one day I can face them as you have today. But not now. I?m sorry, but not today.? The soulless one stood and looked to the other adventurers. ?We?re taking them out of here. All of them.?

And so they did. And as they stepped out of Spellhold, they walked through the rain.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#2 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

Hey Kellen... I've been following your other chapters up until now. Sorry I didn't comment on them there, I guess I'm hoping to rectify that here.

Simply put, I thought that was really beautiful.

From Chapter 2 until now... the insight and beauty that you gave to Aphril has been absolutely incredible. And this chapter also gave meaning to the death of the inmates, which was wonderful, because when I was playing through the game I always found that really pointless. So yes, beautiful work, Kellen. I really enjoyed it. :)

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#3 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:17 AM

Hey Kellen... I've been following your other chapters up until now. Sorry I didn't comment on them there, I guess I'm hoping to rectify that here.

Simply put, I thought that was really beautiful.

From Chapter 2 until now... the insight and beauty that you gave to Aphril has been absolutely incredible. And this chapter also gave meaning to the death of the inmates, which was wonderful, because when I was playing through the game I always found that really pointless. So yes, beautiful work, Kellen. I really enjoyed it. :)

Aww thank you.

Thanks for commenting here, and I'm really glad that it did turn out as well as I'd hoped. -_- ^_^
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#4 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:56 AM

Wow, Kellen. That's quite an insight. Irenicus the knight. :)

#5 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

Wow, Kellen. That's quite an insight. Irenicus the knight. :)

Thankee.

Actually it's really kinda scarey picturing Irenicus as a knight. But that girl, well. *Hugs Aphril* I love her, I sorely do. But even in the end, her wisdom score wasn't the highest. Well mine anyway. I believe her actual Wis score is higher. Meh. Oh well.

#6 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

And I really liked the rain motive^^'.

I must say I have never associated Aphril with water, but now... Hmm. No, she is still fire for me^^'. It still fits, however.
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#7 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:37 PM

And I really liked the rain motive^^'.

That's good. I was beginning to worry that I might be overdoing it.

I must say I have never associated Aphril with water, but now... Hmm. No, she is still fire for me^^'. It still fits, however.

I never really did. But I was trying to write another thing, and Aphril hikacked it. Check the second entry to see the bit. Starting with "It was raining. I loved the rain." Things changed and viola, Aphril was a farmer who loved the rain and worshipped Eldath.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with this series. And about the fire/water Aphril. I've never pictured as particularly one element, but now I certainly do. I do admit that she always intrigued me though...

Thanks for commenting. And I'm glad you liked it.

EDIT: Will be off to read yours in a moment.

Edited by Kellen, 02 June 2007 - 06:37 PM.