Challenge #1: To see and not to see.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

I have seen. I have seen. I have seen! Have I seen? Have I...?

Did I see? Can I... remember?

I just want to...

Oh, The Cruel, The Cruel! Who, you ask? What? Hush... We can't. We can't speak of it. I can't.. And I can't... I...

I can't see them. My pretties. My only.. my...

I was young, back then. So foolishly young and unredeemably curious. I thought I could encircle the existence itself with my hungry mind. I wanted to know... I wanted to know.
I wanted answers. I didn't care for consequences. Not anymore. Not after...

The pretties! I can see them! With my mind's eyes... No! NOOOO!

No... It was just an illusion. Delusion? I can't seem to grasp it... I have seen! And now.. And now I can't... I can't see.
I can't see at all!

The pain.. The pain was unberable... So I had to... I had to... search.

Now I do not feel pain.
I do not feel anything at all. I float at the surface of life. I can't even try to dive. I am immobilized. I am deprived of it. Of everything. What can I? Feel? Have? ...Think?

They have taken all.

I was a broken parody of a man... Or so had I thought before... Before it happened.
I didn't believe in gods. Not really. What are they? Just symbols. Empty symbols of two-dimensional sentences. The sun is rising, the evil is shaking. The eye is seeing, the apostates are hiding. The tempest is raging, the peasants are shaking.

I had been broken. And then I searched.

I wanted to know. I didn't believe. What was the point? What *is* the point? They are nothing... They are truly nothing. They aren't the answers. So they are nothing. How can they be something when they can't even shield their faithful? There had to be something else.
There *has* to be something else. Something... more?

And I have seen. And now.. And now I can't see.
And they have taken....
They have taken all I had...

For a broken heart there is no sacred thing. No line to far to cross. No arms outstretched enough. They say that it hurts much more than any calamity could ever hope to... They say. Everything to not feel. Everything.

What fools. What endless fools.

What is nothing? No thing? No... meaning? Of what meaning am I?

I am nothing. I am no one.

And I was a broken man.

I had been searching. I had been thinking... And then I saw.
And I have stopped to see.

I was a broken man. Now I am no man at all. My pretties... Just... Just...

It is... incredible. Unimaginable! Impossible! And yet... And yet it is. Has been. And always will be.

I wanted to mend my melody. To stitch it with answers. Or to play the melody of my demise. All I have got are few broken strings...

Pretties...

Memorie... s?

Moments like this...

I just wanted to know. To understand. To see. To see...
Even if only once. Even if only for a moment.
Regardless the cost.

I desired it... Only it. What more was left for me to desire?
They say the greatest curse is to be given what you were asking for.

I just didn't have the imagination. How bitter, bitter flavour. And my pretties have been sweet... And my pretties have been sweet...

Just once.. only once... How often are we saying that to ourselves? Just this one time...

And then I have walked the endless roads. Knew the multiple endings. Saw the silver ties... Counted all of the fiery lights.

And my pretties, my pretties...

How am I able to express myself?
Am I?
No, I am not.
Am I?
My pretties... My pretties know...
They know all.

Before the time, before the life, before the death, before the air, earth, fire and water. Before... the existence?
My pretties.

The fool, the fool, the fool! And The Fool.

I have seen... I have seen them once. For a minute? Second? Millenium?

When I awakened, I couldn't dive any more.
I couldn't laugh any more.
And I couldn't cry either.

My pretties... Where are you?
My pretties... What are you?
That I have never known.

You were there. You are there. Millions and billions of pretties.
You have always been there. And I am here.
What is the difference between here and there?

I knew how to play your melody. I knew how to play our melody...

Now I can only float. As a Feather. It's withes are white. As white as... pain.

I have always known, I have always known.

I needed. Did I? I wanted. Did I truly?
How... How do you *want* a thing?

I do not know anymore if I do know any of these.
Or if I have ever known. Before.. Now... Always...

A song I remembered. The pretties had sung it to me.
Pretty, pretty pretties...

Feel. Can you? I envy you.

And she sees. Or so does she think. If she truly did, she wouldn't have the will to despair.
She would float.
Never to dive.

My pretties...

They speak. They all speak.
He screams.
But they can not be his. they can not be mine. No one can rule them. Never.
Maybe?

My pretties...

He howls. They howl. I hear them too.
And they see them... with their desire.

My pretties, my pretties.

Is it powerful? It brought me to you...

And she morphs.
She changes her shape.
But she will never be one of them.
It is not substance that decides...

My pretties, my pretties.

And he is not one of us.

Neither is she.

And they can't see. And they will never see.

Nor will He.

He will never win, ever, ever, ever. He doesn't KNOW of the pretties.
He can't win his own conscience. He can't win a Moon.
He can't win It.

And my prietties, my pretties! Never to see them again!

And all I want is to see. All I wanted is to see... And seeing things we lose them. And understanding things we break them. And saying words we tarnish them.
And words are irrelevant...
They are, they are...

I knew a melody once.
But now I do not hear anymore.
I do not see anymore.
I do not taste anymore.

I float.

And I want to see... Just once more, just once more.

I want to see.

I NEED to see.
I do not know what lie to believe anymore.
I do not know how to need.
So I want.

I do not know how to want.
So I speak.

All I want now is just to see... A glimpse. Just a glimpse.
A little tiny smallest slightest silent spark...
Emotions, emotions...

But my pretties won't let me. They never will let me.
And I will never let myself.

Silent voice, silent voice...

Just a quick one shot. Nothing fancy and not proof-readed. English is not my native language, so if you see any grammar errors or such, please, enlighten me! Explanation WHY it is wrong, not only that it is, would be nice, too.

Idea for that one? Well, most obviously he is insane. (He is. Is he? He is..?)But he is no idiot.
Other then that... I think you now know much more than you knew before.
And, yeah. No idea. You are right:>.

How will I justify it? It is late. 2 AM. I am sick. I can't sleep. My head is giving my a hard time. And I am probably bored. So... ^^'

No excuses^^'. Feel free to critize!

EDIT: Proofreaded by Noctalys (thanks, Awesome One!) and revised. Corrected some typos and nasty errors that made their way into my *yawn* hazed mind.

Edited by Alatariel, 05 June 2007 - 03:24 AM.

'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#2 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

Feels like the person is hovering on the borders of sanity. Who is he?

#3 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

Naljier Skal is my guess. :)

I really, really liked this, Alatariel! I noticed a few grammatical errors, but nothing major. I look forward to reading more entries from you! ;)

#4 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:53 AM

Feels like the person is hovering on the borders of sanity.

Hmm.. That depends on your interpretation;) Basically I like to write open texts like this one, so anyone can read it the way he wants. However if you are interested in the 'official interpretation' (the famous: "What exactly did the author mean?" dilemma), I can always tell. Though I must admit to being curious as to what the UNofficial interpretation would be... :whistling: It's the fascinating thing when you play with emotions -- everyone sees different content depending on ones personality^^'

Who is he?

Naljier Skal is my guess.

You are correct ;]. That was the idea.

I noticed a few grammatical errors, but nothing major.

WHERE?! Where?! Point them out to me and I will kill them with ice! ...But honestly I would appreciate your lingustic knowledge input ^^'. Another thing is that I am speaking broken English all the time, mueheh. So I am not sure if there is still hope for me... XD

Edited by Alatariel, 05 June 2007 - 03:25 AM.

'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#5 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

I also liked it very muh, though I wasn't able to get a reply typed out the other day when I read it. Thus I don't remember specific typos, (I was going to mention something), but I do remember the warm fuzzy-

okay no warm fuzzy feelings(probably better that way). But I liked it, very much. Some very interesting glimpses into Naljier Skal(sp?).

Many many pretties, piled high beyond the sky.

Btw I- how do I say this- while I didn't have a favorite line the one "I do not know how to want." really caused me to stop, in a good way.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#6 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:57 AM

Thank you, Kellen. As for typos you have seen 'the other day' - the story was proof-readed and revised (see the Edit at the end of the main post^^), but if you would like to read it again and actually find more typos, I would be a happier girl ^_^.