• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

Yay! First entry! This one is for veterans of Neverwinter Nights 2. Enjoy!

The Guardian

News of the Death had traveled fast. Day in, day out, the People talked about what had happened. How the Enemy had destroyed a settlement, sparing no one, not even women and children. People argued about what should be done to preserve the Empire. Some of My people argued that they should try to make a peace with the Enemy, not war. Bloodshed would only serve to weaken the Empire, and guaranteed no lasting Safety. My people were generally dismissed by the Others. The Others argued that His people were intrinsically dangerous-the Empire had never committed Death like the Enemy had. They argued they should fight Death with Death, force with force. The power of the Enemy seemed limitless. For many tendays now, the council had been in secret session, led by the Priest?

?Blast it, boy! Are you paying attention to what I?m trying to teach you, or are you daydreaming about the War again??

My attention reverted to the Teacher. He was attempting to teach Me another incantation, one to create illusory copies of Me. For one of My people to learn such a spell at My early years was nearly unheard of. In a matter of hours, I had mastered the spell. My mind effortlessly grasped the raw Power of the spell and bent it to my will. I looked up at the Teacher.

?Why are we wasting time learning parlor tricks and illusions? Our Nation is under assault.?

?How many times have I had to tell you that doesn?t matter? Those so-called wizards of Netheril are upstarts to be sure, but they wield powerful magic. Knowledge is all that matters, young one. You have a rare gift for the Art-it would be the height of folly to throw it away.?

?But we are at war. What good does magic do our Nation if we cloister ourselves in research and swear allegiance to whomever is convenient??

?The Nation serves us, not the other way around, boy. You are but a child, so I don?t expect you to see things for what they are, but you will learn in time.?

?I will learn nothing if our Nation is conquered and People enslaved.?

?And you will learn nothing if you continue to waste time dreaming of being the savior of this worthless country! You have a gift for the Art, boy, I don?t deny that. You?re possibly the most powerful weaver this pitiful land has ever seen. That is why I consented to teach you, far beyond the limits your kind are normally kept to. Tell me, boy, if offered the chance to save this Nation at the cost of your entire being, would you do it??

?Without hesitation.?

?You are an utter fool. But even fools can learn in time. Let?s get back to your lessons, would-be hero.?

I nodded, and let the Teacher continue his lessons. I still disagreed, of course. There was no greater calling than the defense of the People and the Nation. I would gladly give all that I was to defend the People. The Companion, too, thought I was a fool, but she found it in her heart to support me. Some things are worth dying for. A very few things are worth embracing something deeper than Death. To sacrifice My soul, My essence, My being was a terrible price indeed to pay. But if it meant Safety for the People and the Nation, I would pay that price gladly.

Not a week later, the council decreed they would choose one volunteer to become the Guardian of our Nation. Countless individuals volunteered. Much to the Teacher?s dismay and anger, I was among them. Many strange tests I endured. Sometimes the Priest was there. Sometimes not. Always watching, though. Tests seemingly pointless, examinations random. The Watchers never said a word, never indicating whether results were good or poor. Other volunteers disappeared one by one as they were rejected. I remained. Finally, the Priest approached me. He described the Ritual, where my very essence would be fused with the Weave. He warned of pain, of agony, of sensations beyond mortal knowledge. Did I know the risks? Was I prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice for the Nation and the People? Was I absolutely confident in my decision? Had I settled my doubts and fears? Was I ready?

The answer to all of those questions was ?yes?. I lay in a temple as the Companion watched over me, as the Priest and his allies prepared the Ritual. I felt the Weave burn into me. It seared my mind and turned my soul to ashes. My name kindled like parchment and was scattered to the wind. My ambition melted into the fire of the Weave. It was the purest pain conceivable. Not even the lords of Baator could have imagined such agony of the soul. I screamed and wept. But I endured. I took into myself the suffering the People would have endured, the destruction the Nation would have faced. I took it all into myself, accepting the agony to spare it from the People.

And now, it is finished. I am one with the Weave. I am eternal. I am the sword of the Nation. I am the shield of the People. I am something the Realms have never seen. To My People and My Nation, I am their savior.

I am the Guardian.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#2 Alatariel

Alatariel

Inquisitor!

• 479 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Hm, and I should do *first comment dance*?:)

Whoa, you sure are fast! And productive ;]

Your style is neat and I *think* that the story may throw different light on some villain... I can't know that, however, since I haven't played NWN2 and have no idea as for what are you referring to XD

Still, I admire your speed^^
'NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surpr-... I'll come in again.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!... Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh damn!'

#3 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

An elf? or a elven high mage? Whatever he is, he's a selfless wizard. Good writing, as usual, Tempest. I look forward to more entries from you.

Edited by Celestine, 04 June 2007 - 09:24 PM.
fixed typo

#4 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:09 AM

He's human, actually. :)

One of the things I didn't really like about writing for The Guardian is that only people who have played Neverwinter Nights 2 past a certain point know who and what I'm talking about, and the second chapter (the fall) is going to have the same problem. The King of Shadows isn't as well known a villain as most of the evil cast of Baldur's Gate, but he's simply a very interesting character.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#5 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

I know what you're talking about because of the many spoilers I've found.

True I didn't quite get all of it. But it was nice. Very nice. I'm looking forward to the fall of Netheril and the weave trouble because I do remember that. I look forward to seeing how it affects him.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#6 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:28 PM

*coughs* Unfortunately, I'm one of the people who haven't tried Neverwinter Nights II yet... I kinda need to finish Neverwinter Nights I first :P . But this is still an intriguing story. Especially the character of the Guardian... I like how he seems to have risen above what appears to be intellectual snobbery.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain