• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

Rrright.

Since my current hobbies kinda keep me from keeping a regular pace with things, i thought i maybe could still fit in this and that every then and then.
So i decided to open up a project that has been brewing in the back of my head for a while now: writing about Harkemar the Paladin.

Harkemar is a fairly fresh character in my selection of PCs. He started otu as a randomly generated name i came up with for a few fanfic quizzes over at the attic.
Hmm, in fact, i think i'll start with that, CnP those little bits here first, so you'll know who i'm talking about here...

In non-chronological order.

Potions

"Ahhh! The magic. I feel much better now... But i'd better swallow another, just in case..." Harkemar poured himself another mouthful.

"C'mon now, we should be going already."

"Ims, you know what they say... "Victorious warriors win first, and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first, and then seek to win", hmm? you remember that, yes, now it's a clear fact, preparation is key to victory!"

Imoen shrugged in a frustrated manner, and turned to look out through the dusty window behind her.
A moment went by, and another.

"Ahh! Ims, i'm almost done, i could... take on a VAMPIRE!"

Imoen only gave him a quick hopeless glance before turning back to observing what was going on outside.

"Just one more... Now where did i put that one... Ahh yes..."

One long moment later...

"NOW. I feel strength! Bwahahahahaaa! I could take on the world! I'm READY for ANYTHING!"

Imoen turned to face him, sighed, and said "Bro, do you always have to glorify your spontaneous drinking sprees like that?"

Deadly Presumptions

The cowards were rustling outside, making their feeble last minute preparations for their end.

Sarevok stood still, surrounded by his last, and only worthy followers.
He stared at the door, soon the misguided and feeble, knight from candlekeep would step through with his worthless comrades.

What little harm the patchwork band of demented fools had done to his plans would now be avenged, and his victory here would finally prove his worth, nothing would stand between him and his ascension.
The past trials would end here, and his path to divinity would roll open like a red carpet now... A red carpet woven of the veins and arteries of his enemies and colored with their blood, YES!

At that moment the door opened, and a single man in full armor entered.
The man stood a little short of 6 feet tall, wore several holy symbol imitations around his neck, bore the mark of Lathander on his surcoat, and waved around a white flag vigorously.
The gesture of weakness on the part of his adversary made Sarevok grimace, though it hardly mattered; his helmet did that anyway and that's pretty much all anyone could see.

The armored man seemed nervous at first, but then he apparently found courage enough somewhere to switch on his usual vainglorious manner, and so he began making an approach, with the flag in hand.

The man took off his winged bascinet helmet, revealing short blonde hair, a cocksure grin, and a sharp goatee, Sarevok recognized Harkemar, his brother.
Harkemar hollered; "Hoi! You! Err, foul demon-dressing, unworthy brother of mine! Surrender yourself now to the judgement of the most righteous, and your life might not be forfeit!"

The man took another step closer, and almost tripped over one of the trapwires spanning the ancient temple from one wall to the other.
With a satisfied smile the audacious hollerer drew a dagger and cut the wire.
Sarevok smirked, the fool had doomed himself; the trap mechanism did not work that simply, if you pulled the string, a pair of blocks would slide out of place, and make symbols of summoning come together on both sides of the hall. But if you cut the wire, a pair of spring mechanisms would do the work for you, and either way, doomguards would appear.
And they did.

The goateed intruder heard the hissing sound of existence materializing, and quickly looked around, noticing the hulking menaces and their flaming blades approaching on both sides.
With a yelp Harkemar tossed aside his helmet and the flag, and sprinted out faster than people are supposed to be able to, with exploding arrows and fireballs tight on his tail.

With a bloodthirsty roar, Sarevok gave chase, but he moved too slowly, the double doors slammed shut before either he or the doomguards could make their way out, and he could hear the sound of rubblepiles collapsing against the wood on the outside, jamming the doors.
He charged at the doors full force, and began hacking away with his sword, the old carpentry would not hold for long.

"Coward! Weakling! Fight me! Fight me you weak-kneed ratshit!"

Sarevok stopped to listen for a moment, he could hear running steps gaining distance outside, probably three people.

"You were never worthy of Bhaals blood! Come back and die like the coward that you are!"

He stopped again to listen, and he had but a moment to consider what he heard; "Fire Eddie! Fire in the hole! NOW!".
Then the walls blew inwards with a rumbling blast, and the roof rained down it's pummelling wrath upon him, and he flew on to another realm of existence.

So ahh, some of you have probably seen these already, but ahh, onwards...

Edited by WeeRLegion, 15 June 2007 - 01:30 PM.

#2 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

The Hunter

Harkemar snuck closer.
Careful not to make a sound, he had even left his shining steel work uniform at the camp, and had prepared himself for the task at hand with some of the more expensive natural green hunting clothes available, failing to still resist the urge to go for custom-order golden borders and trimmings.

A branch on the path.
Harkemar carefully balanced himself on one foot, and moved his other foot slowly and carefully over the crunchy obstacle, thinking "If only Immy could see me now!".
The effort and tension was making him sweat, and he could feel a drop forming on his forehead. It slid forward along his nose, and he easily caught it with his tongue, he had determined himself not to make the slightest sound now...
Oh no! He noticed another one going for the dry leaves on the path, trying to climb down along his cheek!
Moving his hand quick and silent, he caught the drop mid-air.
His shoulders sagged for a moment, and he sighed silently, congratulating himself for the theatrical effort.

Onwards then, step by step, he moved closer to where he believed his precious prey would be found...
Then he saw it, an antlered deer eating of the forest's bounty, while always remaining bestially alert to it's surroundings.
Indeed, a more than worthy target for a hunter who had only used a bow at the practice range on a few occasions.

He adopted a steady and stylish position in the bushes some distance off; a Paladin should never be caught off-guard, he did his best to always be prepared and look as paladin-like as he could.
He grabbed his bow, but after a second thought, put it down again. He ruffled his hair to make himself look more hunterish, then carefully picked up the bow again, making a dramatic effort to avoid making any sound doing it.

He narrowed his eyes, and silently drew an arrow from the quiver slung over his shoulder.
He raised the bow, aimed, pulled the string... He took a one last moment to grin conceitfully, then the deer died.
He blinked.
And he blinked again.
He shoved the arrow into the ground, and dropped the bow, dumbfounded, he shuffled over to inspect the dead animal.

"A dagger... what the hell?"

He stopped to think for a moment, then he grimaced to himself and yelled as loud as he could: "Immy! That's the fricken last time you backstab my game! You hear?!"

All he heard was an echo and a quiet "Heehee..." from afar.

Edited by WeeRLegion, 15 June 2007 - 02:02 PM.

#3 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

• 2925 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

Ohh, a dusty piece in the corner that i forgot to check the first time...
Here we go...

Fury and rage

We enter the Sea's Bounty, the infamous watering hole of the sailors and thieves that infest the docks.
The time is nearing nightfall, and so we find Harkemar, only approaching his usual stuporous state of mind.
He is hysterically explaining his latest ventures to his dear sister Imoen, who is listening with barely half-an ear, and is mostly focused on nursing the small glass of rum on the table in front of her.

"And! You know, then I said to him From here on you shall know better than to mock a holy warrior! And! You know, he was kind of stunned! He just, you know, kept staring at me with horror! And! You know, awe! And..."

Imoen however, did not display any effects of either horror or awe.
"Sheesh, could you cut it out? I've heard it all at least five time in the last four minutes."

But Harkemar would not be so easily dismayed.
"But! But! You know! He was too stunned to speak! He didn't say anything! His mouth, you know, just, moved! But he didn't speak, you know! And he just, like, pointed a finger at me! And his hand shivered! Like, in a reeeally cool way! Like! he was really jawstruck by my awesomeness! And, you know, I don't think..."

Imoen began displaying signs of aggravation, and she interrupted angrily.
"Geez! Anyone's hands would shake, shiver and quiver in a really cool way after all the beating you gave him, AND described in stocmach-wrenching detail... C'mon bro, it's not something you talk about while trying to drink and relax."

Harkemar however, found such talk displeasing, and turned to defend himself.
"Hey! He insulted my hair style! And he insulted my eau de cologne! And he insulted my goatee! He deserved worse, I showed him great mercy and patience! Just as any holy warrior should! And, you know, my hair style and everything is well according to the latest issue of TheHoly Warrior's Style Guide ! He should have known; righteous vengeance strikes fast and when one least expects it!"

Imoen could not, nor did she really even want to, hold back the grimace that made it's way to her face.
She turned away from her drink, and all but yelled at her brother;
"Look, you ambushed him with a spade when he was leaving the outhouse! Not cool! Ok?!"

And, children, the lesson of the day: Even paladins sometimes overdo it.