Photo

Bug report(or conflict)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:52 AM

I encountered a bug/conflict with the MALAR10.bcs file. I can't reproduce it here, as I uninstalled, rather too hastily, in anger - but when I checked after a more recent install, it turned out to be a ROT file. All I can remember was that there was a "2-byte" comment in the error-message - there was also a mention of a parsing error with a "Snow-Troll" component, which may or may not be a Reign of Terror component.

#2 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:50 AM

I encountered a bug/conflict with the MALAR10.bcs file. I can't reproduce it here, as I uninstalled, rather too hastily, in anger - but when I checked after a more recent install, it turned out to be a ROT file. All I can remember was that there was a "2-byte" comment in the error-message - there was also a mention of a parsing error with a "Snow-Troll" component, which may or may not be a Reign of Terror component.

Which mod were you installing when the error occured?

It takes a village...

#3 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

I'm truly sorry but my memory is rather bad - it was either the DoTQuestPack or DoTweak(I think it might well have been the AI-component - not 100% sure). I seem to recall that the relevant component installed correctly, without rolling back, but the errors happened near the end of the install.

I guess I'll do yet another mega-install and see if it happens again - hopefully it's only something that occurs with a unique combination of mods and specific components, and won't happen again with my new, slightly-pared down mod-install.

#4 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

I'm truly sorry but my memory is rather bad - it was either the DoTQuestPack or DoTweak(I think it might well have been the AI-component - not 100% sure). I seem to recall that the relevant component installed correctly, without rolling back, but the errors happened near the end of the install.

I guess I'll do yet another mega-install and see if it happens again - hopefully it's only something that occurs with a unique combination of mods and specific components, and won't happen again with my new, slightly-pared down mod-install.

It'll happen again. D0Tweak "Remove Summoning Limit" and "BG1 Spell Summons" will cause your errors. The 1st one because it misinterprets IC_SNOW_TROLL animation and adds the hexidecimal equivalent into the name in the bcs file (you can delete the hex code in the bcs file with NI and fix that error). There are several other bcs files that won't recompile properly as well because of a syntax error but it's not RoT causing it. Probably one of the changes Fixpack made with the "Super Happy Modder" pack or something.

It takes a village...

#5 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog
  • 360 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:59 AM

It'll happen again. D0Tweak "Remove Summoning Limit" and "BG1 Spell Summons" will cause your errors. The 1st one because it misinterprets IC_SNOW_TROLL animation and adds the hexidecimal equivalent into the name in the bcs file (you can delete the hex code in the bcs file with NI and fix that error). There are several other bcs files that won't recompile properly as well because of a syntax error but it's not RoT causing it. Probably one of the changes Fixpack made with the "Super Happy Modder" pack or something.

Thanks, in the meantime I'd already reinstalled and found that it was those DoTweak components you mentioned. I'm nopt going to fiddle around with the Bg2Fixpack, as I'm no modder. I just have one question, though - did you perhaps mention the "Super Happy Modder Pack" because it's known to cause lots of problems with many other mods, or did you just cite it more or less out of the blue?

I'd only installed it because I thought that I'd read somewhere, on a BP mod thread, that problems might occur without it - on the other hand, since I'm not using the Big Picture mod but Tactics etc, maybe I can do without it.

#6 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

I found the cause for the error with MALAR10, but I don't know how to fix it.
I have started installing my megamod again, but this time I installed DEFJAM after every mod, because DDEFJAM "Quest XP Reduction" component grabs nearly all existing corrupted files.

After ROT this error is reported in SETUP-XPMOD.DEBUG:

[MALAR10.BCS.BAF] PARSE ERROR at line 6 column 21-33
Near Text: IC_SNOW_TROLL
	syntax error

[MALAR10.BCS.BAF]  ERROR at line 6 column 21-33
	Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [MALAR10.BCS.BAF]: Parsing.Parse_error

MALAR10.BAF is a file inside ROT with this code:

IF
	Delay(20)
	Global("Changeanim","LOCALS",0)
THEN
	RESPONSE #10
		Polymorph(FIRE_RING)
		SetGlobal("Changeanim","LOCALS",1)
END

IF
	Delay(20)
	Global("Changeanim","LOCALS",1)
THEN
	RESPONSE #10
		Polymorph(FIRE_RING)
		SetGlobal("Changeanim","LOCALS",0)
END

After installing ROT the DATA\ROT-BCS.BIF has the same entry. But after installing DEFJAM, I found a file MALAR10.BCS with this code in my override:

IF
  Delay(20)
THEN
  RESPONSE #10
	Polymorph(XE0C0 IC_SNOW_TROLL)
END

IF
  Delay(20)
THEN
  RESPONSE #10
END

Exactly the same error will also occur with Unique Artifacts.

And now my question:

What happens and how can this be fixed?

#7 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

I found the cause for the error with MALAR10, but I don't know how to fix it.
I have started installing my megamod again, but this time I installed DEFJAM after every mod, because DDEFJAM "Quest XP Reduction" component grabs nearly all existing corrupted files.

After ROT this error is reported in SETUP-XPMOD.DEBUG:

[MALAR10.BCS.BAF] PARSE ERROR at line 6 column 21-33
	syntax error

[MALAR10.BCS.BAF]  ERROR at line 6 column 21-33
	Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [MALAR10.BCS.BAF]: Parsing.Parse_error

MALAR10.BAF is a file inside ROT with this code:

IF
	Delay(20)
THEN
	RESPONSE #10
		Polymorph(FIRE_RING)
END

IF
	Delay(20)
THEN
	RESPONSE #10
		Polymorph(FIRE_RING)
END

After installing ROT the DATA\ROT-BCS.BIF has the same entry. But after installing DEFJAM, I found a file MALAR10.BCS with this code in my override:

IF
  Delay(20)
THEN
  RESPONSE #10
END

IF
  Delay(20)
THEN
  RESPONSE #10
END

Exactly the same error will also occur with Unique Artifacts.

And now my question:

What happens and how can this be fixed?

Not any of those. I believe you'll find this to be another BPv177ism.

It takes a village...

#8 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

This error also occurs when only ROT and DEFJAM are installed, no other mod. It has nothing to do with BP! So I think it should be fixed, because it affects lot of other mods.

#9 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

@Leonardo Watson: thank you for doing this test.

What does the file ANIMATE.IDS look like after RoT is installed, and after DEFJAM? I think both mods are modifying that file.

#10 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

This error also occurs when only ROT and DEFJAM are installed, no other mod. It has nothing to do with BP! So I think it should be fixed, because it affects lot of other mods.

Leonardo, this has absolutely everything to do with BPv177! Please don't say it doesn't until you look at the .tp2 file. From the BPv177.tp2:

APPEND ~ANIMATE.IDS~ ~0xE0A0 IC_ICE_TROLL~ UNLESS ~0xE0A0 IC_ICE_TROLL~

APPEND ~ANIMATE.IDS~ ~0XE0C0 IC_SNOW_TROLL~ UNLESS ~0xE0A0 IC_SNOW_TROLL~ <---- Big X should be a little x

APPEND ~ANIMATE.IDS~ ~0xE0D0 IC_UMBERHULK~ UNLESS ~0xE0D0 IC_UMBERHULK~

APPEND ~ANISND.IDS~ ~0xE0A0 MTIC CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_IC_ICE_TROLL~ UNLESS ~0xE0A0~

APPEND ~ANISND.IDS~ ~0XE0C0 MTSN CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_IC_SNOW_TROLL~ UNLESS ~0xE0C0~ <---- Big X should be a little x

APPEND ~ANISND.IDS~ ~0xE0D0 MUM2 CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_IC_UMBERHULK~ UNLESS ~0xE0D0~

Do you see the typo that causes BPv177 to corrupt the animate.ids and the anisnd.ids files? I highlighted them in pretty colors for you! Also, if you fix your animate.ids and anisnd.ids files and re-run DEFJAM or d0Tweaks, you won't get the error.

Edited by erebusant, 27 December 2007 - 03:37 PM.

It takes a village...

#11 Leonardo Watson

Leonardo Watson
  • Modder
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

Thank you for your hint. I didn't see that big X. Now it works fine.

However, this typo comes from the ANIMATE.IDS and ANISND.IDS that are included in ROT and also in TDD, SOS and CtB. See for yourself!