Challenge #4: Zen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

The character is from a game called "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura". :) A few spoilers...

He was the only other live person there but me.

The halfling man was dead. He had given me two things: a signet ring, and a quest that would take me far beyond anything I knew. I was supposed to be attending university at Tarant, not traipsing about all of Arcanum, on a quest for a dead man. But he was there, and he helped me through.
His name is Virgil. A priest of the Panarii religion, he believed that because I had survived the dirigible crash, I was Nasrudin reborn, some ancient elven god or another. He had so many plans for me, showed me the monument, wanted me to meet Elder Joachim, wanted me to be this avatar, this reincarnation.
But I was just a university student. My father faught in the Cumbrian War. I had his sword. I was just a girl.

Virgil knew me better than that.

He drew me, like a moth to a flame. With every veiled allusion to his shady past, with every smile, with every piece of advice, I fell harder and harder for him. I wanted to kiss him, wanted to hold him, wanted to let him know that no matter what his past held, it was the present, the here and now, and I held no truck with living in the past. But with every moment I got closer, he pulled further away. And yet also grew closer. The tension between us could have been cut with a knife, as we delved deeper and deeper into the mystery that had engulfed us both the moment he discovered me, wan and forlorn in a meadow, surrounded by burning wreckage, twisted metal, and dead bodies.

And then he left.
He just up and left. Oh, yes, we discovered what had happened when we went into the Tarant graveyard. Virgil had gambled his money away, gotten into the red with thugs, cared so much more for drink and cards than his life that he didn't take heed when they threatened his family. Until his older brother ended up dead.
But then he left. Left me, with a gentle kiss and an "I love you, madam...no, that is...I love you, Ky'ree." And then went off somwhere.

I was lost. Princess Raven...Gar...Mr. Shalefist...they could do nothing to ease my fear. I wandered. I lost interest in the quest. And then Elder Joachim told me where he'd be.
Cumbria.
I made all haste towards the once-great monarchy. The statue of my father there awed me. I missed Papa. I missed home. I missed him. I wanted Virgil back. I tracked down the thugs, found where they were hiding out, and made way to pay Virgil's debt.

I walked into the room just in time to see them cut my love down.

I went berserk. Throwing spells at them, slashing them with my sword, I attacked with all the fury and rage I could muster. After they were down, I ran to Virgil, crying, shaking, screaming. Raven had the presence of mind to cast Resurrection on him.
When he awoke, he wasn't the same. He described it as being a piece of Heaven remaining in him...reminding him that no matter what ill will befalls him here, he will always know where he will end. He told me he loved me again. He told me he wanted to stay with me.

I am happy...that he is happy with me. That he is now happy with his life. Even in this world, where darkness sometimes reigns, where dragons once roamed, where magick and technology fight for dominance, Virgil has found a little bit of zen.

And that is fine by me.

Edited by Isilven, 11 August 2007 - 01:21 PM.

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#2 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

I've never gotten to play this one either, but this is also interesting.

And one little nitpick.

I missedhim.

There should be a space there.

But this was a good work. Short but Virgil and Ky'ree both felt pretty real to me. Good job.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#3 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:21 PM

Fixed :)
Thanks, Kellen ^_^ :hug:

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#4 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

This has a nice touch to it, can't say I've ever had any experience with Arcanum, but this is still in my perspective, great work, especially the end part. :cheers:

Just a little grammer curiosity, wouldn't there be a small space after"word... word" etc

MWord tells me off all the time about this, anyways I just noticed this small issue, so I'm giving ya the heads up is all. ;)

Short, real and bloody good work. :D (no pun intended :rolleyes: )

What more could a reader ask for? :cheers:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:20 AM

As I haven't played Arcanum that much, I can only say that you have made a good fanfiction that yearn another look into the game, but too bad I already have too many games to play and not enough time. I need to find a little zen.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.