2 replies to this topic

#1 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:49 AM

Challenge #7: Frozen Love

Many months of travel from the frozen north, horrors faced ten fold and still we breathe? but sadly, not all of us do and our enemies, though evil in their ways? like us, merely struggled for acceptance by society, to live free from the scrutiny of others. All in vain as they became like them, and we were tasked, as mercenaries, to kill them and burn their Legion to the last creature.

We did as we were made to do, protect the innocents of the Ten Towns and Kuldahar, but at what price? While creatures such as the orcs and goblins, or yuan-ti did get what was coming to them? I wonder, what of those who joined out of necessity, even half-elves joined such vile ranks, and my own kin? demons. Well, perhaps down one ancestor?s line, a Tiefling is spared from having too much demon blood in them? but enough to make us outcasts among the Prime.

A tall, slender girl walked past, wrinkling her nose in disgust but not sparing us a look. The city looked crowded and we were tired - the long march here had worn us out, even the hardiest among us had trouble standing straight. We looked like beaten adventurers, our tattered and bloody attire drew cautious glances from the town folks - they steered clear of us as we walked down the alley. We had business, shady, dangerous affairs, perhaps, it was necessary for our survival, even if we were in an advantageous state...

Our victory at the Severed Hand had not gone unnoticed in the Ten Towns, or in some of the lands to the south. But things did not turn out as they were meant to, we were not hailed as heroes? more like criminals, who abandoned their country and fled to the icy north to join the menace that little over two months ago still rampaged unchecked. We approached an old looking inn in the city?s slums, I remember the place well, and as it was the first place I met my companions and friends, before we set sail from Luskan? This time however, our visit would not be one so easily enjoyed.

?This place stinks of treachery, I almost wish I were back north.?
The halfling grunted often at such places, despite his looks he was a merchant at heart, and it was his skill as a thief, which saved our lives many times. Strangely he looked like a short bouncer when I first saw him, heh, those were some good times?
?Don?t do anything stupid Nathan, it doesn?t look like we are having a warm welcome planned anytime soon.?
?Bah! Yeah, yeah, I won?t go picking any pockets from these sods, Terra, many of ?em wouldn?t even fetch a good score of coin without landing a dagger in another back.?
?Be sure you don?t halfling; Helm doesn?t have patience for the likes of thieves? like-?
?Oh gods! Are you two going to be arguing over law and order again? I?m going in!?
?M?lady Terra! I didn?t-?
I don?t have time for this? a paladin and a thief combination was a bad idea from the start, but by then, it was too late.
?Eh, lighten up tinhead. We?ll finish this up inside.?

My annoyance must?ve cooled by the time I entered the inn, in my company were five unique individuals? The two from before, a thief halfling named Nathaniel Stickweeds? I believe he was a lightfoot halfling by his adventurous nature always ready to take on a new profitable challenge.
And Sir Alfred Fentor? any ordinary young woman might have taken a liking to him out of appearance, but I was far from normal, and our species? would never mix.

To my right as I entered, a young elven woman, Shandris Snowtouch; the one who taught me the ways of the wilds and the talents of a ranger? among many other experiences?
I almost wish it did not happen, not to her? but how could I deny her feelings, nor my own.

If anything, I know she is capable and I was merely a greenhorn demon daughter of an elven former paladin noble. I wish she did not see the horrors I saw, but just looking into her eyes, I can see that although she has seen many horrors, the ones she saw with me? were the worst by far, and had I not been there, it may have never passed.

?Terra. It would be best if you did not stare at me like that. Not in Luskan at least.?
?Oh. You-you?re right, Shandris. Sorry.?
Damn my thoughts, Selune forbid if I make a deadly mistake now.

Scanning this room, I see many eyes occasionally wandering in my direction, more often from these male patrons staring at what is obviously at my chest and not my company? Feh! At least my last companion, the mage Derath from Thay has a way of warding off some of the more suspicious eyes? a good mage he may have been, and a Sorcerer at that, but arrogance has its price, and he I always distrusted. Now, to find that contact?

?Aye. It?s about time you lot showed up? I trust you enjoyed your welcoming??
Snide little weasel, the city of Luskan has not changed a bit.
?You know why we are here, ?Mr Jackson?. Now, tell me what I want to know.?
?Aye, ye want to take on the hosttower aye? For a past indiscretion, ye sure don?t like having loose ends.?
?Our affair with the hosttower of Luskan is our own business, worm. I will not allow my- I mean, ?our? enemies get the advantage again.?
?Aye, but you be now on their turf, what?s stopping them from storming in this inn right now and burning all of us to the Nine Hells??
?Enough Derath! I will do the talking here. You said not long ago you could help us take care of our, ?mutual enemy?, Mr Jackson. Now, are your people willing to risk their chances with us, or not??

?Aye. They are more interested in restoring a bit of power to the local thieves guild, and we?re not having the wizards endanger our future with their recklessness. There is a warehouse 7 down at the docks, which serve as a certain center of resource gathering for the hosttower. Naturally there are other avenues, but *this* is the main deal.?
?Sounds like a plan? very well, tell your masters that we will consider this avenue of approach? but if they are lying, we will manhunt this entire town for their names and locations, and your pathetic business empire will fall apart much quicker than you expected.?
?No need for threats ?ere lass, the Shadow Thieves always know a good deal when they see when aye? And I be personally guaranteeing ye, no one deserves a better deal after what your band has been through. Now then, I must leave. You?d best attack would be under the cloak of night, when the activity happens, otherwise it?ll be the city guard you?re dealing with.?

Spending a night in the inn was by all means unsettling. Watching Shandris turn the way she did, we both had grown accustomed to the open wilderness or deep caves of the frozen north. But the port city of Luskan was an entirely different place, and I never did feel welcome here in my childhood? I still don a cloak to conceal my heritage, but nothing can change my eye color, I almost wonder if what we set out to do is even possible. The Legion of the Chimera is dead, along with many who sought it for aid or protection, for good or ill purposes. But the Hosttower of Luskan did not take the news lightly, they viewed us as a greater threat than Neverwinter, and spared no expense to send killers our way, no matter where we went? and many innocents were killed as part of this foolish attempt on our lives.

?Terra? Are you still awake?? I turned to see Shandris staring at me, with only the blankets to cover her she looked defenceless, but her company still gave me peace. I nodded as she came over to me and sat beside me, looking out to the moon that was nearing the pinnacle of midnight.

?We?ve been through so much haven?t we??

I paused for a moment, usually the words never come?

?Yes. We have love, yes we have.?
?Do you think we can succeed? The Legion was one thing? but after that, I don?t know if? If I could do this anymore??
?You?re thinking of them again, aren?t you??

I nodded as I rested on her shoulder? nothing could stop my tears, as I saw old companions, family, friends? people I hardly even knew, all wiped away as if they were nothing. And my own heritage as a tiefling, also endangered many; I almost killed Shandris once? I wanted to taste her blood as well?
?I nightmarish creature I am.?
?No you?re not. You?re Terra, and you?re my friend? and love.?
?But I. If I wasn?t who I was, I would?ve? not??
?Tried to kill me??

I fight so many times? and always I seem to lose? why? Why does she remain?

?Shandris??
?Yes??
?Why did you stay with me??
?Because? I loved you, Terra. I knew you were not a demon, even though others would say differently. You have a kind soul, one that has survived more than one should have to bear.?
?After the fight in the north? you could have left me, we could?ve gone our separate ways and this business with the Hosttower, and many other enemies that now follow our tracks? would not have happened.?
?What if we both disappeared after this? No one would know.? ?I can?t.? ?And neither can I leave you, Terra? It, to me? is a fate worse than death? don?t you feel the same way??
??I? I do??

Why? Why does it have to be like this? Everything was so simple before, even if I did have to hide. Now I don?t want to push her away, and neither do I wish to abandon the rest of the world to its various fates. Why can I not just wish all these? these feelings away? Why can?t I just remove all the troubles in the world, in my world? It?s not fair! I didn?t ask to be a hero, or a criminal. Or a love-struck priestess. What has happened to me? Why do I doubt myself as such? Why did it not become easier after Madae and Isair? I can understand their plight? but they, they were willing to destroy everything so they could have what they wanted. Why did I not just let it go?

?Its midnight love, we should get going.?
??Shandris??
?Yes??
??Hold me? please.?

I did not care.
I just wanted her.
The world be damned, and all my enemies with it!

Ok, that was a newie style I haven't tried before. Unfortunately I don't have any pics aside from these to show only two of the characters, thankfully the two main ones.

Terra: FemH4L.jpg

Shandris: FemE1L.jpg

Credit for these pics goes to their original authors, I could try to draw up a sketch of the last bit on my own, but it would take some time... till then, this'll have to do, just to give people a general idea of what they're looking at. ^_^

Other characters:

Derath: Red Wizard with a goatee rather than a beard, male 6,0 human with same skin color as Edwin.

Sir Alfred: Picture Anomen, minues a few scars and replace with one large on over his right eye as if caused by a goblin sword. And remove the beard, and make the hair blonde.

Nathaniel: Halfling with curly brown hair, small earings on both ears and dresses somewhat like a merchant cross rogue.

'Mr Jackson': Mostly covered by a cloak in the scene, feet on table, brown overalls... similar to how one would picture Gaelan Bayle in a way. Now make that human stature at about... 5,9 and give him a nose ring, and beard.

Woman: Described above as part of the challenge. Common clothing with a slight street walker appeal, young human female... about 20s.

Meh, this help create a picture so evidently lacking from before? :lol:

Anyways, hope you all enjoy it. Was a first time at this type of style. :)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#2 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

:clap: I love this, new writing style rocks, I say. :D

And Sir Alfred Fentor? any ordinary young woman might have taken a liking to him out of appearance, but I was far from normal, and our species? would never mix.

Other than Anomen who sprung into my mind, I also thought of *coughFentorcough* of CC. *snickers*

I think you incorporated the theme paragraph seamlessly into your entry and how you expand it is amazing. I just love it. Also like the relationship between Terra and Shandris.

#3 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:05 PM

:clap: I love this, new writing style rocks, I say. :D

Thanks Celes! :hug:

Other than Anomen who sprung into my mind, I also thought of *coughFentorcough* of CC. *snickers*

Uh... I assure all people of interest, that thought never crossed my mind while writing this. In fact, nearly nothing crossed my mind at all. :lol:

I think you incorporated the theme paragraph seamlessly into your entry and how you expand it is amazing. I just love it. Also like the relationship between Terra and Shandris.

Heh, thanks again. It was a first attempt and been in the works for a little bit, I kinda thought I might have over-emphasised the inner struggles of Terra, and the devotion of Shandris a little bit.

Still, fans of deep emotional stuff should be satisfied I hope, and I may produce more in the future. :)

Thanks for the postive review Celestine. :D and :hug: again ^_^

(And yes, this was an aftermath story for Icewind Dale 2.) :)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!