Photo

Any interest left for more alternative portraits?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 wonnimchunha

wonnimchunha
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

A Looooong Time ago, I promised to finish this project and I kind of got... side-tracked?? :P
Well, I finally finished the remaining 3 portraits and got it packaged into a mod (thanks to Kaeloree) so if anybody wanted the last 3 portraits... the mod is out :)
I'm posting here and on the mod forum a sample portrait of all the portraits included
I've made very minor changes to the already finished portraits plus finished versions of Safana, Xan, and Yoshimo

Posted Image

***************************************************************************************************************

I wanted to make a alternative portrait mod for some of the more ugly/seems-not-fitting characters in BG&BGII

There is already so many portrait mods out there, anyone interested for one more?

Aerie
Posted Image

Ajantis
Posted Image

Anomen
Posted Image

Branwen
Posted Image

Edwin
Posted Image

Alternative Edwin
Posted Image

Cernd
Posted Image

Coran
Posted Image

Haer'dalis
Posted Image

Imoen
Posted Image

Safana
Posted Image

Xan
Posted Image

Yoshimo
Posted Image

Current plan includes NPCs Aerie, Ajantis, Anomen, Branwen, Cernd, Coran, Edwin, Haer'dalis, Imoen, Jaheira, Mazzy (possibly), Safana, Shar Teel, Xan, Xzar(possibly), Yoshimo

Edited by wonnimchunha, 05 August 2009 - 12:27 AM.

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:07 PM

You can *never* have too many portrait mods. I especially like those that make the portraits available in the portraits folder, because then, if you want to have one game with one set of portraits, and another with another set, it isn't a separate install, it's just a few minutes with ShadowKeeper.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

I really like your version of Aerie!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#4 Leila

Leila
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

An alternate Coran portrait would be great.

Aerie and Cernd look amazing so far. Alternate portraits are still very welcome, atleast to me.

#5 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:29 PM

These are awesome! Please make more!
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

That Edwin is great. Any chance of an alternate version without the mustache or hair? That'd more closely match how he's supposed to look (as per canon materials anyway :P).

Most Rashemi average about five and a half feet in height, with stout and muscular builds. Most are dusky of skin and dark of eye, with thick black hair. Rashemi males are unusually hirsute [hairy] and often sport bushy black beards. Although handsome, many seem almost ursine [bearlike] in nature. Baldness is almost unknown among Rashemi males, although inhabitants of Thay are known to shave all body hair in imitation of the ruling Mulan. (from Races of Faerun)

I suppose his skin should be a bit darker too. By the same description, I've been looking for a dark-skinned Minsc with hair and a beard... Great potential in your other sketches too. :cheers:

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 wonnimchunha

wonnimchunha
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

Thanks, guys! Guess I'll go ahead with them then ^^
Yeah, Coran definately needs a different portrait -_-
And Miloch, thanks for the tip that Edwin shouldnt have a beard, I always thought he would look better shaven :wub:
(one of the reasons I kept the beard was because I like the character so much I was afraid I'll make him look too handsome and comic like)

#8 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:44 AM

yeah, I really like your aerie too! I really want to see the finished version :D

#9 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:15 AM

Hell, YES! :woot: Portraits are good, portrait alternatives for BG2 are even better.

Anomen looks REALLY pompous and holier-than-thou, which is excellent ^_^
Cernd came out interesting, too.
And I can't emphasize enough how much I like your depiction of Aerie :wub: She actually looks like a woman and not a girlish goggle-eyed something..

So by any means, go ahead! :)

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#10 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:49 AM

This is absolutely great! I love your Aerie, and Cernd. They both look so sad, though...Aerie I can understand, but I never got the feeling that Cernd got sad. He always seemed a bit detached, though still human. He is capable of emotions, and he does show them...but I can't imagine him looking perpetually miserable or regretful, even during his character quest.

Ajantis looks a wee bit boyish, if you ask me. Was that intentional?

Edwin is nice, but I also liked his old portrait. What are the two yellow arcs beside his head inside the hood? Also, I wouldn't want him to lose his beard. As far as I remember, Thayvians *are* allowed to wear beards, but that's all.

I'd love to see more, by the way. :)

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#11 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

Ajantis is a very young man. He's probably no older than the PC, so it would make sense for him to look kinda young. Much better than the BioWare portrait. That one makes him look so old!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#12 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

I agree Cernd looks slighty too sad for him.
From Miloch's post you would think Minsc ought to look more like an ape, and Edwin indeed bolder, but I actually like the beard. It makes him look more evil, or better to say shrewd, than the current one.
Love the other drawings all the way, with indeed another vote for Aerie and one for Ajantis

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#13 Vizeteufel

Vizeteufel
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

And fa.. I mean, chubby :whistling:

"Maturity is no constant condition, it's trying to make right decisions every day anew."

#14 Tassadar88

Tassadar88

Templar in Flames

• 1302 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:45 AM

:woot:

:wub:

Especially the Aerie made it very high on my ZOMGWTF_that_is_cool scale, followed by the Cernd.
Ano seemed very nice as well, just I think that Edwin could look a little more macho-sexy-evil wizardish :devil:
The Mind is its own place and in itself - can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven. -John Milton, Paradise lost

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:18 PM

What are the two yellow arcs beside his head inside the hood? Also, I wouldn't want him to lose his beard. As far as I remember, Thayvians *are* allowed to wear beards, but that's all.

I believe that they are earrings, and I don't like them, but every thing else in the picture is perfect!, could you make one without them, alright I can always edit them myself, but have you tried to resize the picture and converting them to .bmp's as then you see the true result in scale, so hint hint not to make too much work with no real or poor result.

And about the interest, YES WE ALL ARE interested!

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#16 wonnimchunha

wonnimchunha
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hmm... I'll just slightly tweak Edwin's portrait then, since a lot of people seem to favor the beard, and then just do an alternate without the beard :)

Thanks a lot for the comments guys, I'll make Cernd a tiny bit less sad

Here is Coran and Safana, the two ugliest flirts (if you stick to the Bioware originals) in Sword Coast!

Attached Images

• coran_sample.jpg
  • safana_sample.jpg

Edited by wonnimchunha, 07 November 2007 - 01:37 PM.

#17 Ilmatar

Ilmatar

is not here anymore.

• 2172 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

I hope I understood you request of deleting right... ;)

These portraits look absolutely *fantastic*! I adore Edwin's facial features - they are very Edwinish and absolutely perfect. You can tell I'm a fangirl, can't you? :D I do miss his beard, thought, but hey, these are supposed to be alternative anyways.

Ilmatar's portraits for the Baldur's Gate series ¤ | ¤ | ¤ Ahem. Ilmatar =/= Ilmater. ¤ | ¤ | ¤ deviantART gallery
Grunting is a perfectly acceptable reaction to being struck with a blunt instrument. -berelinde
And, just out of curiosity, my dear, what *are* you wearing? :D - Tempest to me.

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

From Miloch's post you would think Minsc ought to look more like an ape

Ehm... no. He's supposed to be dark-skinned with hair and, I suppose, a beard if you take the canon description of a Rashemi. I'm willing to concede the possibility of his insanity entailing a full head-shave somewhere along the line, but it doesn't stretch to a Michael Jackson-style skin-dying operation. Anyway, how does darker skin and hair = ape? Certainly wouldn't be any more simian than his regular portrait... :blink:

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#19 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:16 AM

You've got a really good start, so far! Can't wait to see how these are developed. I guess I have a couple (rather subjective, mind you) comments:

I believe that they are earrings, and I don't like them...

My feeling is those earrings, as they appear in the pic, seem kinda feminine, almost like big hoop earrings. Not sure Edwin would be caught dead with something like that :P . Beyond that, though, your Edwin looks pretty good :) .

Gotta say, though, that I REALLY wanna see Aerie with bigger, less human-looking eyes. And a smaller forehead, to be honest.

On the other hand, I'd say you've done wonders for Coran and Safana so far (yeah, I definitely don't care for their original portraits)! Kudos :) .

Edited by Galsic, 08 November 2007 - 01:18 AM.

(I like parentheses.)

#20 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:23 AM

That Edwin is great. Any chance of an alternate version without the mustache or hair? That'd more closely match how he's supposed to look (as per canon materials anyway :P).

Most Rashemi average about five and a half feet in height, with stout and muscular builds. Most are dusky of skin and dark of eye, with thick black hair. Rashemi males are unusually hirsute [hairy] and often sport bushy black beards. Although handsome, many seem almost ursine [bearlike] in nature. Baldness is almost unknown among Rashemi males, although inhabitants of Thay are known to shave all body hair in imitation of the ruling Mulan. (from Races of Faerun)

I suppose his skin should be a bit darker too. By the same description, I've been looking for a dark-skinned Minsc with hair and a beard... Great potential in your other sketches too. :cheers:

From Miloch's post you would think Minsc ought to look more like an ape

Ehm... no. He's supposed to be dark-skinned with hair and, I suppose, a beard if you take the canon description of a Rashemi. I'm willing to concede the possibility of his insanity entailing a full head-shave somewhere along the line, but it doesn't stretch to a Michael Jackson-style skin-dying operation. Anyway, how does darker skin and hair = ape? Certainly wouldn't be any more simian than his regular portrait... :blink:

(Bold emphasis [and underlining] is mine!)

I think the triplicate mention of the fact that, yes indeed, Rashemi do have hair, and also the later clarification that they are almost ursine in the excerpt you posted, might have helped to give that impression...

I can actually understand that the impression of an ape is created. I've seen men that had body hair, that would more easily be referred to as "fur". And no, I'm not talking of people afflicted with that one ailment. The guy I'm thinking of just had an enormous amount of Chest and arm hair. He actually had shaved it so he could hide it at least under his T-shirt, but if he took the shirt off, it looked as if he wore a T-shirt made of fur, so thick chest and back hair he had. :wacko:

- :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by Jazhara7, 08 November 2007 - 01:32 AM.

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)