A New NPC (Beta)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 -CommandantHuckFinn-

-CommandantHuckFinn-

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:36 AM

I made a NPC.

If you like her, I will add more and expand her.

Link

#2 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:17 AM

...please post a little more information about this mod.

It's customary to at least tell people the character's name, give a brief personality overview and usually stats as well.

#3 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:30 AM

Out of curiousity I took a look at this mod.

Female Half-orc Fighter
Stats: Str 19 Dex 10 Con 18 Int 10 Wis 9 Cha 8

Very little dialog (Joining, leaving, ToL and Epilogue) but then that's mentioned in the readme. She does have some short player initiated dialogs.

Bio says:

When you ask her about her past, SHYHINWORUNTO CHENDE hesitates only briefly, and then begins her tale. Her life was much like that of most Half-Orc children. She was shunned by some, pitied by others, and despised by most. She learned of a God from another Crystal Sphere from a traveler called Eros. Upon learning how he 'loved' many, she fully embraced him.

She learned about lust and love and decided she was simply unappealing. She sought out a 'cure' for her condition. She met a Blue Mage by the name of Valeria who offered to enhance her inner beauty. SHYHINWORUNTO CHENDE deciding she had much inner beauty had her bring quite a bit out.

Eventually, SHYHINWORUNTO CHENDE got a job at the Copper Coronet as a prostitute. Not only were there plenty of men, and the occasional woman to sate her voracious appetite, but she earned gold as well.

Once the novelty of her uniqueness began to wane, SHYHINWORUNTO CHENDE began to fight in the arena. The gold she was earning as a prostitute was simply not maintaining the lifestyle to which she had become accustomed.

Sadly, that soon passed, as well, and SHYHINWORUNTO CHENDE found not many opponents could stand up to her prowess and might. So the dream of adventuring began to take root.

----------------------

It's actually an interesting idea and the existing dialog does show at least a resemblance of character.
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#4 -CommandantHuckFinn-

-CommandantHuckFinn-

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:07 AM

Thank you Rabain. I only spent about eight hours making her. Acefes tutorial helped alot. I just want to make sure people would actually be interested in this character before devoting too much time to her. I will probably lower the con at least to 17, and drop her Int a little, which would be reflected in her banters. I just get nervous writing for the bioware npcs, because everyone gets so picky about them.

#5 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:24 AM

To be honest the safest bet is to write what you think the NPC's would say and forget the community at large.

Otherwise you'll find yourself throwing away perfectly good dialog before anyone has even seen it.

Even if people complain about dialog at least it shows they've downloade and read (if not played) your work.

Usually your own sense will be close enough to be acceptable.

What I find more common is people's idea of what <charname> would say. Think about it, <charname> could be anything from a female dwarf cleric to an elven male thief yet 99% of dialog written for <charname> gives the same options for all class/race/gender combinations.

Don't let anything stop you, if you want to write...then write write write. The results can always be edited, improved or expanded if necessary!

#6 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:40 AM

The Bioware NPCs are one dimensional at best anyway. Write what you interpreted them to be when you played the game. :)
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#7 jcompton

jcompton
  • Modder
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:51 AM

...so nobody else has figured out this is just MTS doing an Iron Modder 10 warmup exercise, eh? Or you're all just being good sports about it?

#8 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

:P I should have more "guest" names then...it's a wonderful tactic.

#9 -CommandantHuckFinn-

-CommandantHuckFinn-

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

...so nobody else has figured out this is just MTS doing an Iron Modder 10 warmup exercise, eh? Or you're all just being good sports about it?

I figured that should be pretty obvious. Not like the name hid anything.

This is the first mod I have worked on that is 100% my own (unless it does not count if you use tutorials).

I really want to do Iron Modder 10, and I had not made a 'joke' project yet.

What I had not expected, was that I actually like working on this NPC.

Rabain, and theacesfes - thank you for the support. I have always respected both of you, I just do even more now.

:hug:

Time to attempt writing. I just need to do what BobToyko did with Hublepot first. He made a list of every Bioware NPC, and how they would percieve Hublepot.

I will say that I am every bit as real as Shemp, SlidMang0, JCrompton, alasafan@hotmail.com, & Ggib Eht.

#10 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:28 PM

No offense to MTS, but why the silly guest name? If you had an idea why didn't you just put it under your real name?

JCrompton has always been a fav of mine.

#11 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

A failed attempt at humor it would seem.

Just so you know, I am working on this and upgrading her to a full-fledged NPC.

Even sistersinister (who finds the character and pic revolting) is helping on this.

Oh, and I do have the permission of CommandantHuckFinn to expand this mod.

Edit

Thanks again for your tutorial. Even following it, I had bugs and problems (I blame myself).

Still, it was easy to read, and I never felt like it was 'talking down' to me or anything like that.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 17 November 2007 - 05:16 PM.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#12 -CommandantHuckFinn-

-CommandantHuckFinn-

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:30 PM

Oh, and I do have the permission of CommandantHuckFinn to expand this mod.

I just wanted to post that I did approve this, and wish MTS all the best luck. I have seen his mods and his limited coding skills and I know for a fact he will need both.

#13 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

She sounds like a lot of fun.

And both Rabain and Theacefes are right. Write to please yourself, not "the community," making the BioWare lot sound like you think they should sound. You can always go back and change it around a bit later, if you're not happy with it.

And while Rabain is definitely right about the variety of PCs that will eventually be hidden under the shade of Shy's... er... attributes (that portrait was priceless), I wouldn't let that discourage you.

:cheers:

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#14 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:52 PM

Heh, I never looked at the portrait...OMG!! :)

Are you really going to use that? The female Half-0rc from IWD (1 or 2 ?) would be far superior!

I made a female half-orc portrait for Midea Eveil at CoM way back, see here.

If you can get in touch with her and find out if whether she still wants to use it or not. You have my permission either way.

Edited by Rabain, 17 November 2007 - 06:53 PM.

#15 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

Thank you for the knd words. :)

I do want to give a little history lesson on this NPC.

I was linked to her page at one model place by my long-time-ago ex, MistressXenobia (you can see her work in Baldur's Goth II Beta). She absolutely horrified me (the woman, not Xen).

sistersinister and I have talked about for years about making a serious NPC (Santana), based on a 2nd ed character of hers who is a mage/thief, who just happens to be a prostitute.

Watching all the hooplah about plastic surgery all over TV lately made me think of that model.

I also had been talking to Kellen about his half-orc idea via PM.

I do want to be in Iron Modder 10, but needed practice.

So I thought, you know...

The idea quickly threw itself together. I thought she would be a funny joke, but I did not expect to love the idea, concept, story, and charcter I am working on currently.

She is in the works, and quite a bit is being changed.

She might be yicky, but I hope people will try her. I am hoping in the very least, she will be insteresting.

Besides, this is still great practice for IM10, and Santana.

Edited because sistersinister pointed out that Santana was a mage/thief, not a fighter thief. I remember that now, and I have learned my lesson about posting about her characters while she is at the store.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 17 November 2007 - 07:23 PM.

#16 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

Heh, I never looked at the portrait...OMG!! :)

Are you really going to use that? The female Half-0rc from IWD (1 or 2 ?) would be far superior!

I made a female half-orc portrait for Midea Eveil at CoM way back, see here.

If you can get in touch with her and find out if whether she still wants to use it or not. You have my permission either way.

Heh, you must have posted while was tying mine.

Mods, excuse the double post. Especially since I have not done it all this entire thread. :whistling:

There is a reason for the pic I chose, which will be revealed in her story (which I am currently writing).

I seriously appreciate the offer, however.

#17 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:39 AM

I thought double posts were bad, untill I made a triple one...

For updates and progress, click here

Her beta has been updated to version two!

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 22 November 2007 - 12:44 AM.