13 replies to this topic

#1 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

Disclaimer:

To remove confusion, this is NOT strictly within CA content, so therefore I encourage people to try the mod if they wish the story there. This is simply my version of the story, and yes there will be major inconsistences.

But essentially, the two stories, are NOT the same.

That said, I do extend thanks to all parties involved with the material for everything, including inspiration. :)

Edit: Chapters uploaded:

Prologue: The First of Spring.
Chapter1: Dreams under the Sun.
Chapter 2: The Joy of Youth.
Chapter 3: Tale of the Silver Warrior Act I
Chapter 4: Tale of the Silver Warrior Act II
Chapter 5: Tale of the Silver Warrior Act III
Chapter 6: Snatching Crows
Chapter 7: Awakening
Chapter 8: Ghosts of Deception
Chapter 9: Open Eyes
Chapter 10: Baiting Smell
Chapter 11: Slither in Deception
Chapter 12: Scale and Steel Act I

Edited by Solar's Harper, 21 July 2008 - 02:56 PM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#2 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

Spring of Conflict

Based on the Baldur?s Gate 2 mod: Classic Adventures

Prologue:

The first of Spring

An age has passed, since the shadow of Murder passed over us, the blood spilt in the name of the gods. A prophecy fulfilled, and the heirs to the heirs now walk the land, or at least what few remain to do so.

Man as ever, is always in conflict. Wherever there is order and chaos, there is always conflict, and death. Needless suffering, in one form or another follows mortals like a plague. And the selfish motives behind some mortals remain hidden until the spring.

The Spring of Conflict.

~***~

It was a calm spring day, the birds had awoken early with their peaceful songs of joy, the flutter of the window curtains as the wind breeze spread from the windows.

Yet for some reason, I cannot remain calm. Many years have passed since my time. And now, despite the trials I have endured, I fear my own spawn, shall encounter many more.

As I look upon my son, Feralin. I can only see what must?ve been seen in me in my youth. So many years ago, though my race ages much slower than the humans of this village, I can only hope Oakhurst proves to be as safe a place for him to grow, and Corellon willing, not face the same nightmares my sire had left for me.

?You seem troubled, dear.? I must be getting slow these days. Standing to my side, is my wife and ever-faithful companion, entering my study with nary a sound.

Many thought initially she was not ready for the troubled world I bought her into. But I know better, and I so do hate to see her worry for my sake.

?It is nothing, love. I hope I have not caused you discomfort.?
?O-Oh no, no you haven?t, my love. You just seemed to be lost in your thoughts again.?
?Perhaps. Tell me, how old would our son be tomorrow??
?(Giggle) Oh you should know, being an elf and all. It will be his eighteenth birthday tomorrow, all his friends are excited as can be.?
?That new girl, Chaarna. He seems quite fond of her, and she of him.?
?You mean the way they continuously fight??
?Don?t we all??
?Oh stop it!?

I must admit myself a quiet laugh it seems, so few chances we once had for those. Even though those times have passed however, I see them everyday still. It no longer burns, but the faces shall always remain the same.

?By the way, love. We have a visitor, we had best not keep him waiting.?

I left my seat and headed down stairs, with my wife leading the way. Upon coming down the stairs, a familiar scent of smoke fumes, and a red pointy hat gave me little doubt as to who my visitor would be? and needless to say, he was not unexpected.

?Thou looks healthy these days, child. It has been a moon too long since I last had a look upon the both of ye.?

?Indeed it has Elminster, how fares the world about us?? I studied the old man, as was my custom from old days past. Although he were but a human, his age never seemed to show that beyond an old man whenever we met, which was fewer than many a Harper would allow it seems.

?Our friends have been busy indeed. Last I heard thy name was from your old comrade, Jaheira; she still speaks fondly of you, and carries her mission in the Western Heartlands with strong fevor.?

?Good old Jaheira.? I couldn?t help but to chuckle, often it was my sister that would say that, but she leads her own life in Neverwinter these days.

?I-it?s good to know, but must you laugh so, my love??
?Haha, *cough* sorry Aerie. I guess these old feuds remain longer as well??
?Feud? Oh now you?re being silly.?
?Heh, no need to stare at me so, sweetheart. Hm, that water should be ready.?
?I?ll be back then.?

?Now then,? I leaned over slightly, these were words not for her ears, ?how fares Sembia??

Elminster smiled a clear fake, ?Sembia is as fair as she can be, particularly for those looking into the rural market. Oakhurst included.?

?The Harpers are aware of the growing menace, yes??

?Without a doubt, although those who harp are hard to tell these days. Ever since that bad fortune all those years ago.?

?Years I prefer to live without, but sadly Jaheira shall always remember the treachery her kin showed me.?

?Indeed, she walks alone as I do. Although her determination to make things right make her many enemies, that thou would see as friend. She could use thine help.?

?I know, but she knew the path she took when we separated paths. There is naught I can do for her, and even if I did, it would hurt her more than good.?

?Thou forget what a friend she once was? But no matter, you?ve retired to a nice home I see. Future plans on the road are off per chance??

?You know my wife by now, after we found the winged elves, there was little else she wanted to do? feeling the time was right to properly look after our son, and our daughter.?

?Thy knowest that leaving two heirs of the heir to the throne of blood is unwise. Though the Time of Troubles be past, and Bhaal?s children no longer fight; there is many who would seek your punishment, for good or ill purposes.?

?I know.?

I looked as Aerie had returned finally with the meal prepared, as much as it was good to speak to my old friend of the road once more. We both knew full well that our own troubles should not concern any more than ourselves. The time of the Bhaalspawn is past; people are beginning to forget of its existence.

But the chill in my bones...
Although I be not as old as the man in front of me. It is now my turn to feel what Gorion surely must?ve felt when I was nothing more than a troublesome youth. I looked out the window once more and saw my son and daughter playing together with Dirbert and Chaarna. The four would make excellent companions for each other, how long though.

Remains to be seen...

~********~

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

~***~***~***~

#3 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:08 AM

Chapter 1:

Dreams under the Sun

Dreams gave rise to society.
Dreams gave power to advance.
The fire of those dreams built the engine, which would spawn Order, and Chaos.
The ambitions of one will cost the whole.
For good or ill purposes?
We will never know, until our bones are nothing but dust once more.

~ Chronicles of Netheril
Date unknown, author unknown.

~***~

Feralin stood against a rock watching the sun fall from Oakhurst, heading to lands east. The sight of the sky was memorising. The few rain clouds burned, the trees and vast hills created an eerie shadow on the land below.

The wind breeze was cool and yet warm, an odd mixture for the late evening. As his cloak fluttered in response, footsteps followed up behind him, he brushed aside his slightly long blonde hair, which in this light was burning bronze.

A young elven woman appeared from the shadows, features very similar to his, only a few inches shorter than her brother. ?I figured you?d be here, Feralin. Jermien was getting worried.?

?Heh, doesn?t take much to worry that man does it? Just like mum as well.?
?And if we were both strangers, I?d say that was unwarranted.?
?Oh? So says the one who just last eve stole all the cookies mother made for the festival, simply to feed a cat??
?That?s? That?s a different matter!?
?Haha, call it what you will sis, everyone knows your fingers never keep themselves clean for long.?
?That?s a lot of talk coming from a boy who barely stops himself from wandering naked in the woods and speaking to every animal and plant he can see.?
?You were watching, sis? Why I never thought-?
?(blushes) Stop it! You?re twisting my words!?

The two continued laughing for a few short minutes, then a long silence ensued as the two sat under the tall rock which stood over the ledge.

A butterfly appeared, hovering for a few seconds around the girl before landing on her right index finger as she held out her hand.

?Care to tell me what she?s saying??
?Strange a rogue could tell it was even female.?
?Being around an apprentice druid helps, and don?t forget I can use magic just fine, big brother. So be careful.?

The butterfly flew off into the sunset as the siblings watched on, although the sun should?ve blinded them, their vision was clear, and the bright flame appeared like another planet on the valley below.

?They?re all leaving? I wonder if we ever will someday.?
Feralin looked at his sister, like her aunt, she had a carefree nature. But whenever deep in thought, emotions stirred.

?I can?t see why not, Amalia. Remember how our father began his journeys??
Amalia nodded. ?All too well, and I do not hope to start anything like that.?

Feralin let out a nervous cough; his sister always had a habit of not ignoring some details. Sometimes it worked in his favor, other times it was quite the opposite. As he looked at her she appeared relaxed, her brown-blondish hair was as short as his, yet it had once been longer. Why she kept it short after that time was truly a mystery.

Either way, things were changing. Soon both would be eighteen, he a few months before her, but regardless she had always acted the same age as her, to the extent both their birthdays would be celebrated the same day.

?Soon we?ll both be the same age huh? I wonder if Chaarna will kiss you for the birthday.?

Feralin almost choked and blinked in surprise. He looked again at his sister, who had a somewhat serious face on her, and stared right back into his blue eyes, her emerald ones showing no sign of trickery.

?W-what? what makes you say that, sis??
?Well. You both seem to be fairly close, and everyone else can see that you clearly like each other.?
?Well yeah, but??
?And I know she likes you a lot.? Amalia sighed, almost as if expecting her brother to not understand.
?Well. Well I don?t think she likes me *that* much, sis. I mean, sure we?ve been good friends for like the ten years she?s been here, but I don?t think there?s much more to it.?
?So you?re not interested??

What was his sister up to? Feralin searched his mind for an adequate answer, or even a joke to derail the conversation back to a calmer topic. He wasn?t sure as to how he felt about Chaarna; the two had become increasingly friendly in the last few months, more than the brother-sister relationship it had been before.

?I? don?t know.?

Unable to find a better answer, Feralin shrugged and gave a resigned look to his sister, who seemed curious, slightly disappointed? and something else.

After an uncomfortable silence, Amalia laughed slightly. Feralin gave his sister a confused look, but waited for her to explain.

?Heh heh, sorry Fera. I don?t really know why I asked that. Anyway, I think the answer will come to you eventually, eh??

Amalia gave her a supportive pat on the shoulder and got up to walk near the edge of the ledge. She stood there for a few moments with an air of tension about her, but then smiled as she turned to face her brother who was now standing.

?We should head back, it?s getting late.?
?Sure.?
?Come on! See if you can keep up slowpoke!?

And off she went. Feralin felt something was wrong in the winds. Nature had not whispered anything but trouble in the horizon, and yet despite the darkening red, the sunset looked calm and peaceful.

He worried that whatever was about to happen would change his life, and the life of his sister Amalia forever. As he left, he made one last look at the sunset before chasing after his sister, who was surprisingly quick on such terrain for one of her two professions.

~********~

~***~***~***~

#4 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

Chapter 2:

The Joy of Youth

Life is so different when young.
All the joy of the world of ignorance, free of the troubles of experience.
Or so the common perception is told, as we grow older-
Does the burden of being old follow us?
Or can we embrace it in a new light, and enjoy the joy of youth once more?

~ Musings of scholar.

~***~

The moon had set upon Oakhurst; all the population was preparing for an annual festival to the gods in celebration for their blessings. This confused Feralin to no end as he watched on, sure he was a druid; but he believed in Nature, not one god? even Silvanus was not enough to him.

The harvest had not being as good this season, and it was still yet to be done. Ironically the festival should?ve taken place months later, but Jermien and Colette had persisted at the town meeting, saying that the bad weather Feralin?s mentor had warned them about would be a sign of things to come if we did not give head to them.

And so here he was, on his birthday in the Old Boar Inn. Dirbert and Amalia were dancing in a drunken way, and he could?ve sworn she took something from Dirbert?s pocket. This struck as amusing to Feralin, his sister bore no ill intentions with her thievery, but she could never stop herself from doing it.

As his thoughts drifted slowly back to the ale mug in front of him, his senses suddenly picked up as a slightly drunk Chaarna came up behind him and leaned over to speak to him.

?Hey there, Feralin. Why are you sitting down? Come on, let?s have some fun!?
?Flattering Chaarna, but I?m not really in the mood.?
?Oh don?t be (hic!) like that. Come on, let?s dance.?
?I said? wha-hey! Let go!?
?Quit being a grouch, come on I want to dance with yooou!?

Out of options, he knew it could only end in two ways, Chaarna?s vomit upon him, or a bad headache that did not come from his mild consumption of alcohol. Inevitably he quit struggling and joined Chaarna just as the music had changed.

~***~

The town was alight as the festival continued both in and outdoors of the community, armored soldiers had gathered in the hills overseeing it.

A tall man in dark plate mail armor halted his company, orcs and humans grumbled slightly, but a nasty glare from the man had silenced any protest. An elven woman walked towards the man, eyes amber and vest golden. She looked on Oakhurst in disgust.

?Pitiful human peasants, these will serve only as fodder if nothing else.?
?Be that as it may, Markessa. The Slave Lords want all rural communities in Sembia; and that includes Oakhurst.?
?Then why do we stop here??
?Because, the Bhaalspawn also resides here, with his own progeny.?

Markessa?s eyes widened, she had heard details about the war of the Children of Bhaal. But never had she expected to come across the location of one of them, since so many were finally dead.

?Well that was an unexpected surprise, though I?m sure his blood, along with his son and daughter should help fuel my experiments nicely.?
?If you live to even see his face, even though the taint is supposedly gone, he and that she-witch avariel bastard child plagued the Slave nations for well over a decade. Few live from wherever they passed.?

?They are not gods, and I shall prove it myself.?

The armored man shook his head; Markessa?s willingness obviously disappointed him.
?No, you will not. They will be killed in a surprise attack, why do you think several other groups followed us??

Markessa grew tired of talking to the man, and left without a word.

Taking no notice, the man then started issuing orders to his men with a very clear statement: ?Failure, is death.?

~***~

Feralin?s world was spinning about him, even in Chaarna?s drunken state she still proved to be a match to him, and more than able to beat him at dancing. His mood had lightened slightly, as he continued to talk with Chaarna, as both were too exhausted for another dance.

In the background Amalia was playfully teasing Dirbert, almost too intimately, but it was clear he had finally woken up to his missing coin.

Feralin returned his attention to Chaarna, briefly surprised to see her gazing at him dreamily.
?Um, you ok Chaarna??
?Mhm??
?You sure? You look a bit tired.?
?Mhm??

Suddenly she moved over to him, never letting go of her focus. Feralin felt more nervous than he ever had in his life, and he took a brief look around to see if anyone saw, and unfortunately for him, many did already? including his sister.

?Uh, Chaarna??
?Sshh, no more words.?
She leaned in even closer, her lips touching his. Although there was a fair amount of tension coming from her, there was more so coming from him. He couldn?t bring himself to pushing her away, and accepted her kiss in a polite way, not once could he break eye contact with her.

It felt like an eternity had passed, even more than reverie. As she parted, her tone had changed to even more husky than before.

?Happy birthday, Feralin.?

He felt dazed, as if coming out of a dream he had never experienced before. And his face couldn?t hide the fact, especially when he heard a giggle following them in the background. For the most part it was good ? until Chaarna?s drunken state caught up with her, and as predicted ? Feralin found his vest the spilling ground of it.

~***~

As the night came to a reluctant close and Chaarna was safely secured to one of the inn?s beds, Feralin wandered back outside, finally feeling a lot more satisfied with some cool air and quiet. His father emerged from the shadows thereafter; he looked pleased ? and concerned.

?Something troubling you, atar??
?The winds have changed...?
Feralin took a moment to listen, and his father was correct.

?Aye that they have. Is this a bad sign??
?Perhaps, little follows our kind with good news.?
?Our kind? Are we not elves like mother is??
?Yes, we are Ithil'Quessir, she is Avariel, and we are indeed all part of the Tel'Quessir. But that is not what I?m referring to.?
Feralin stood in silence, his senses reminded him of the lessons he had learned from his father, to perceive a person?s intention and mind before words can be spoken.

?Bhaalspawn.?
?Yes son, my sire, and your grandfather.?
?But. But the Times of Trouble are over! You fulfilled Alaundo?s prophecy! You've forsaken your godhood for your family, for mother and myself when I was but young.?

The father nodded, as memories stirred with the passing moment.

?I did. But even though the powers may have locked away Bhaal?s taint from me and your aunt Imoen; it does not mean it is still not present.?

Feralin was stunned, and for a moment he began to wonder himself about his own possibility.

?So. You still have the taint??
?Perhaps. Though he no longer speaks, and I no longer see the world as I once did. I still feel it there. Inactive. But present nonetheless.?
?Then. Then what about Amalia and me? Do we have it as well??

His father was silent; his face had changed into a cold dark expression that Feralin couldn?t describe. Let alone recognise.

?It is possible. Not even the gods know the answer to this. Bhaal himself is also probably clueless, but pleased nonetheless. Regardless, guard your emotions, and never submit to the hate.?

?I will father, but what if-?
?There will be no more questions, Feralin. Your sister is unaware, but she has yet to show signs... same as Imoen a generation ago. But know, that although the taint may never arise again, others will seek it?s potential. It happened to me, and it must not happen to you or your sister. You must ensure that it does not.?

Feralin was about to answer when Amalia and several other villagers had exited the inn, when he looked back to where his father was he had already left.

It was an issue he was unwilling to tell more about until he himself knew more, of that Feralin could be certain. But the wind had told him that tomorrow may well be the last day he will ever see his family the same again.

A wolf cried in the distance, it?s howl piercing Feralin?s heart, as a dire warning. Nothing will ever be the same again.

~********~

~***~***~***~

#5 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:42 AM

Chapter 3:

Tale of the Silver Warrior Act I

Secreted away in a hidden valley, that had fallen upon bad times in ancient past.
Haven, a name once said out of love, now is nothing but a lost memory.
What caused its demise so suddenly?
And why only now, does the halls of the Silver Princess?s Palace howl the song of the Banshee?
Death follows all good intentions, and destruction is but the beginning of one?s torment.

~ Colette?s Notes; Resident Magic Instructor of Oakhurst.

~***~

The call of morning had come sooner than hoped. It had been a rough night to Feralin, his father?s cryptic message and his mixed emotions for Chaarna provided no comfort as he decided to sleep under the stars for the remainder of the night.

As he wiped sleep away from his eyes, cold water immediately hit his face, curtesy of his sister naturally.
?It?s about time, Fera! I swear you were sleeping like a rock.?
?Eh, sleep? Unlikely, and I?m surprised to see you on your two feet at this hour.?
?Oh that, well uh? let?s just say I was tagging along.?
?Yeah, and stealing from Dirbert, he?s not going to let it go y?know.?
?Yeah, yeah. Look I?m not about to argue with you, I came here for a reason y?know. Jermien is calling a meeting at the square, I was sent to fetch ya.?

Feralin shook his head in dismay, a meeting right after the straight after the night of drunkard fertility? What in the nine hells is he thinking?

?A meeting huh? Alright, alright. I?m coming, just let me get up.?
?Better hurry up sleepyhead, I ain?t gonna wait for ya forever.?
?Charming as always.?

~***~

The residents of Oakhurst had gathered into a tight crowd, and there were many agitated people present for Jermien?s calling. It was hard to tell which were still battling alcohol consumption and which were sober, but it was clear a topic had gotten everyone?s attention and questions were ready to be shot.

Amalia dragged her brother up to the front of the crowd; Jermien took notice of this and smiled in her direction.

?Ah good, Feralin you?re awake. Now we can begin.?

?What?s the wake up call for pops??
?Quiet, Fera!? Amalia elbowed her brother in the ribs, painfully would be his description.

?Ladies and gentlemen, please. Now then, I think you all know why you are here. But if not, I will do a quick reminder. The goblins should be arriving in a few days with a red apple for us to purchase. However, with all the ailments that have befallen some of our neighbours recently, one apple will not be enough.?

?It be them blightin? goblins fault! None of this would be happenin? without them, aye.?

?If you would please, Nelleck. We have no evidence which proves beyond doubt that the goblins are linked to the recent attacks.?

?What?s the most recent mayor?? Being the town militia captain, it was only natural Feralin should investigate he thought.

?Sightings near Dale?s farmhouse of some stick creatures or some other business, it all on the testimony of his wife alone however, and Dale thinks she is imagining things. Either way, they recently lost life stock to nasty cuts, and I?ll be damned if I know of any wolves that use knife like cuts for killing prey. No, it is bound to be the goblins in the ravine.?

Several other villagers started shouting questions or speculations for a time, overall it was general panic. And one question still needed asking, even though Feralin could easily tell Jermien was trying to avoid it.

?Are there any more questions??

?Just one mayor. Is it true that some of the other villages have been attacked??

Jermien?s face paled slightly, he briefly sighed. But now it was in the open air, and people stopped arguing long enough to pay attention.

?Yes Feralin. I really wasn't ready to talk about this yet. Folks please listen. Piney Bluff was attacked. Part of the town is destroyed in what looks like an attack of orcs and some men. There is some sort of group of raiders attacking a few of the villages in the countryside. Nothing close by, yet. I don't want to alarm anyone because I am sure that the Sembian authorities will be able to handle it. I have heard that there are some survivors. They are the ones telling everybody what happened.?

?Should I be staying here to help protect Oakhurst??

?You are such a loyal patron of the town. I think it will be okay for you to leave for a few days. As I said, no close villages have been attacked. Therefore, I assume the raiders are not close by. Also, to be honest, I am not totally sure these stories are true. No one has yet come into this village as an eyewitness to the attacks. Rurik himself has travelled through some of these areas before coming here. So don't let it worry you.?

Naturally that only made the elf more worried, his sister sensed it and concluded that there were no more questions. It was then that Jermien then focused his attention on a hooded halfling, whom had been with him since the meeting started. Clearly she was more a prisoner than a guest speaker however.

?Last order of business. I would like to introduce a new member to your team. This is Shadow. Garon caught her cutting purses at his inn.?

The halfling spat at the ground looking Jermien into the eye with contempt. ?Is it my fault that I ran out of money while travelling and now I am stuck in this rat hole of a town? And besides, he can claim what he wants, I didn't do anything other than complain about his lousy cooking.?

Jermien ignored her, looking at the two elves again. ?While normally I would have recommended jail time for our sticky fingered friend here, I thought it might be best to have her join your party instead. You may have to deal with locks or traps down in the old citadel. If she survives the ordeal, she can go free,? his face turned serious at the halfling, ?NEVER TO RETURN! Is that clear??

Amalia gulped in response, she was a thief too after all. Jermien could be scary to those who didn?t obey the law and took up petty thievery.

?What? You think I like this rat hole? Of course I will leave and never return.? Shadow paused as if remembering something. ?Ah, what do you mean by ?if I survive???

Jermien smiled slightly at the sudden stutter in the halfling?s argument. ?Feralin, I hope you have more patience than I do. The constant babbling of this child is enough to drive anyone insane.?

That struck a cord.

?Hey buddy! I am a halfling, not a ?little girl.??
She glanced at the elf druid, sizing him up and down.

?So you are Feralin? *Snorts* You look like any other spoiled brat from some merchant. Couldn't the leader of this group be someone older? This one is still wet behind the ears.?

?*chuckles* It looks like you will have quite an adventure with this one on your team. Okay, off with all of you.?

~***~

The room was still as ever his possible grave. Erky Timbers rummaged through what little equipment was on the corpses of his ?roommates? in the dark. His skills at illusion would not last him a week longer, and Baervan ?s disciple had no place in the Sunless Citadel that?s for sure.

?And this. Yes this should do nicely, hmm...?

Erky made his way over to the door and listened, there were two goblins outside, but between all the normal growling, there were hostile voices at each other. Another fight meant another chance for him to take a hike outside.

As soon as metal hit metal, Erky opened the door, his illusion was cast and with Baervan?s blessings, his next sight would be the sunlight as he tried to trace back his lost tracks. Accidentally running into the next wall on his way out of the hall.

~***~

The crowd had dispersed save for a few people. Even for a rural community, such meetings of that size were large to him. I dreaded the prospect of one in the cities.

As he looked around while Shadow and Amalia got to know each other a little... or at least as much as the grumpy halfling would permit his carefree sister, he noticed Dirbert was among the people remaining, he looked at Amalia who noticed and shot a nervous glance back to Feralin.

?Dirbert! Glad you made it.?
?Hey Feralin, you might want to talk to dad, he had something to ask ya.?
?Or rather for you my boy. Hello there captain, not leaving for the ravine too quickly yes??
?Will be soon sir. And I was hoping to take Dirbert along if he?s willing.?
?Aye, that is why he?s staying here aren?t you.?
Dirbert flinched. ?Ah cut it, Pa. Yeah I was gonna ask ya Fera, but y?know.?
?Well since you?re the best archer in the village and I can?t have you and my sister going off without my supervision, I suppose the choice was natural.?
?Ah yeah, about that...?
?Haha, not now, is it alright sir??
?Yer not having any complaints from me. You be sure to follow Feralin?s orders now m?boy.?
?Yeah, yeah, I know Pa. Let?s go Feralin.?

Assembling his group, it occurred to Feralin he might need experience on the mission as well. In this case, he needs look no further than the dwarven fighter/cleric, Rurik.

?Aye? Ye wanted something??
?Hello Rurik, you used to be an adventurer right??
?Aye, I?ve had me time on the road for more years than I can remember. Ye want help from me is that it? About the ravine??
?Yes, or any good alternative that comes up. Your experience makes you a prime candidate y?know.?
?Well. I suppose a few days will be a decent sidetrack from me smithy. Ok you?ve got yourself a deal, just give me a moment to stash me gear. Nelleck can watch ?em while we?re away.?
?The mayor also gave us some money, Rurik. We need weapons and armor if you can provide??
?Ah, ye be hittin? two birds with one stone aye? Well I needs the money ta? keep me business afloat y?know??
?Of course, let?s see what you have.?

After outfitting the group with the various arrangements of armor and weapons, the team was almost ready for the patrol. A brief stop to the inn and Colette?s magic shop, then follow up with Kyland Lind; Feralin?s mentor druid, and Madam Hucrele wouldn?t hurt as much as the coin pouch would.

~***~

Just a little further...

Erky had come too far to give up now, between the fights of Kobolds, Goblins, and stick monsters, he had attracted the wrath of the Outcast and his escape lay just ahead, if he can climb fast enough.

?IF I could climb...?

He was tired, running was exhausting and he had only a few illusions left to him, and his god?s spells were nearly exhausted as well. And before him there were at least 11 kobolds, behind him a stampede of goblins who were in no too great a hurry. Even though it was technically kobold territory now.

But then the stick creatures came, the goblins panicked, the creatures were so bloodthirsty they kill goblins just for the sake of killing something. Such cruelty, but Erky had no time to argue about the ethics of their rampage. The kobolds had nearly all disappeared, it was now or never.

Using his gifted adrenaline Erky dashed for the exiting rope, Kobolds and goblins sighted him, putting aside their hate for each other for fresher gnome meat. The stick creatures were also relentless, but could not attack from a range.

An arrow pierced Erky?s right shoulder; barely stuck it flew out as he sprinted. His last healing spell would be the only thing he could use to stop it effectively, and there was no time, very little shelter among the rocks and spiderwebs.

As he reached the rope, arrows nearly pierced it, increasing his drive towards the blinding light above.

A stick creature came out of nowhere and took a swipe at his face, scaring his left eyebrow as blood flowed freely of an otherwise clean cut.

?The Windrunner will take you monster!?

Using his primitive version... and desperate version of a club, Erky pulled all his strength into avoiding the small creature?s claws, and beating its limbs apart until it could no longer prove to be more agile. But that gave enough time for three more to descend upon him.

?Damn gnome can?t keep himself alive? A shame that I must become involved.?

The voice came from above, and with it a flurry of arrows intended for the creatures, acidic projectiles disintegrated the vile creations, and a voice of rage appeared behind the rocks Erky was facing... it was the Outcast?s voice.

But the other one chilled him more as he looked up; a human like figure in dark armor was bending on a small rock edifice shooting arrows of acid towards approaching foes.

?Well, what are you waiting for fool? Get climbing, it is clear I?m not getting what I want from here so be thankful I came when I did.?

That was true, whoever this stranger was, he saved Erky momentarily, but the human wouldn?t be able to hold off the onslaught forever, nor did he seem to be in the particular mood to do so.

As he followed up the rope, the man came up behind him, eventually even shoving him back up to the surface.

A sudden rush of fresh air came to meet Erky, and light he had not seen in nary a year or so. ?Oh my! Please, give me a moment. The sky hurts my eyes! I have only seen torchlight for the past year.?

He then felt a sudden tug at his back; he was picked up by the scruff of his collar!

?Wha?Hey! Hey what are you doing? Let go!?

?Arr! This one be feisty, why?d ya rescue ?im??

?A worthless dreg, nothing more. We will not find anything in the ravine, they must?ve headed to the Silver Palace then.?

?Pfeh! So what ya want done with this bugger??

?Throw him in chains, he?s not food for the orcs, he?s a slave now captain. See to it that he remains a living one, even if you must kill him more than once.?

?You got it boss, c?mon shortie, lets get ya to yer new outfit. Aye.?

?Baervan! Save me!?

?Shut it!?

The thug knocks Erky over the head, and his last sight is the sun... and a raven circling it.

~***~

?Are you sure this is the way, Chaarna??
?Of course I am, Dirbert.?
?Yeah, and what about the way you said was wrong an hour ago??
?That?s not my fault and you know-?
?Sssh! Listen people!?

Amalia halted the group and for a moment there was the sound of combat nearby.

?Something?s going on, look!?

In the distance, an elven warrior was facing three kobold warriors, they looked at a rough disadvantage, but the elf was obviously not faring as well as he should be.

?Come on!?
?Wha- Feralin! Hey!?
"Come on, Dirbert! Stop lazing around!"

~***~

Paraway parried the swing from the clumsy kobold then jabbed with his spear, finally leaving one of his assailants dead. There was a sudden attack on the kobolds from a range, and a young leather armoured elf that had the look of a druid about him rushed in with scimitar in both hands.

The other two kobolds were easily defeated and the remaining few quickly retreated, not willing to face the wrath of his new allies.

?Mae govannen. Well met. Thank you for your help. I am Paraway from the South Wood, near Waterdeep. I am a member of the Raven tribe.?

?Waterdeep? What brings you this far away from there? I don't think I have ever met any Green Elves before.? A young elven woman with very similar looks and build appeared behind the druid elf, presumably his sibling.

?Yes, it is very distant a place, Paraway. And Green Elves seldom roam from their home wood so I?m told.?

?That is true to an extent, young one. I am tracking an evil witch who was a prisoner of my people. I fear that my people released her and if they did, I must know who allowed such an evil person to be set free.?

The group blinked in surprise.

?A witch? I can't say I have heard of one around here. I am on a quest also. Some of the people in my village have a strange affliction and only a powerful priest can help them. So I am hoping to find enough treasure to hire one.?

?You are an adventurer then? Helping your people is a noble act.?

?Maybe so, but the location is said to be haunted and I doubt any creatures are going to be willing to give me their treasure.?

Modest in his beliefs and pride, a true leader that Paraway could respect.

?It is dangerous to adventure into haunted places. Look above us in the sky. Do you see the raven? He has followed me throughout my journey and has led me to you. Perhaps it is a sign that we should work together??

The druid smiled. ?That sounds like a great idea, Paraway. Welcome to my team. Once we get this done, I'm sure Mayor Jermien will let me help you track down your prisoner.?

?Yeah, we?d be glad to help right everyone??

Only the halfling seemed disinterested, but Paraway knew it was not of any ill will, just mere confusion as to why any of his problems be hers no doubt.

And as such, he pledged his assistance to the elf he would now know as Feralin, and his sister Amalia, the two leaders of the group. And noble souls that Paraway felt the Raven had undoubtedly intended for him to meet.

~********~

~***~***~***~

#6 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:46 AM

Chapter 4:

Tale of the Silver Warrior Act II

The valley received a visitor, the harbinger of a terrible curse.
Hair silver, clad in steel... but a heart of cold malice.
The demise was cruel; there was no mercy to be had.
Thou art a traveller, would do well to discard thy wardstone.
Never, enter the palace.
It?s doors no longer welcome.

Translations of the Wardstone and Ancient Documents - Colette

~***~

The lumberjack was right, the Silver Princess?s Palace stood at the top of this cliff, hidden from obvious views by surrounding cliffs and overflowing fauna.

?Nature has taken back the glade.? Feralin grinned slightly as he checked the area for possible entanglements amongst the vines and leaves that?d serve as a trap.

?Poetic, Feralin. Can we go now?? Shadow whined. ?Afraid, Shadow??

Dirbert always had a habit of saying the wrong things, Shadow?s glare, despite her small size, made the tall half-elf swallow his comment as quickly as he spoke it. Something Chaarna had wanted to do for years it seems.

Amalia and Paraway had advanced, looking around for possible foes before entering the place. Paraway had said there were recent tracks, entering the Palace. Faint, but recent nonetheless, Feralin couldn?t afford to take the chance.

Paraway came from the nearby bushes, signalling Feralin it was clear to advance.

Hailing his other companions, they scaled the stairs, to a structure more ancient than the glade itself. It was would?ve once been the pride of the people who built it, but the signs of heavy age and ruin were all too apparant, Shadow even remarked one couldn?t make decent coin out of selling the place.

The wardstone Chaarna carried glowed, near the door, and a slight click could be heard, suggesting that it had unlocked the door.

As they entered, the feel of cold air assaulted the party, but entry into the old door was hardly an effort, if any more pressure was made, Rurik who opened it would?ve possibly broken it right off.

They proceeded down a set of stairs that came immediately from the entrance, and a large bronze lined hall spanned before them, dimly lighted, yet old, and the architecture emphasised heavily on arches.

Paraway immediately demanded everyone?s attention as he raised his right hand. He crouched down near one of the pillars holding the roof, briefly touching the floor with his fingers before returning his attention to the party.

?I smell death, Feralin. There is something unnatural about these ruins. Look, There is no dust. No tracks in the area. This is bad...?

Dirbert nodded. ?Aye, there is something odd about the place, Feralin.?

?I swear you?re a copycat, Dirbert.? Amalia sighed, Dirbert turned to the thief wizard, ?If you weren?t his sister-?

?Oh? You?d do what to me?? Amalia flirted with a wink, the half elf?s face reddened as he prepared a sharp retort.

?Enough! Both of you! You have a point, Paraway, and there may still be traps from ages past active here. Shadow, Amalia, we?re counting on you both.?

The two thieves nodded to each other and started scanning the hall as the party advanced; Rurik took the opportunity to slip a few words to Feralin.

?Yer not doin? too bad here lad, but there are far worse places. Think ye can handle it??

?My powers over nature are limited here, Rurik. I rely on all my friends and comrades to provide their own additional skills to help us.?

?Aye, and a wise policy that. And help can never be unwelcome in a dungeon if you look around us ye?ll find that these halls have devoured many who had forgotten to find a good balance of team qualities, including leadership.?

?Well I have no intention of letting us all find the same problem,? Feralin noted, ?my concern however lies not only in the fact Paraway detected recent use here, but there is something about this palace... some ancient evil I suspect.?

?And not the last ye?ll ever find.? Rurik gave the elf an encouraging pat on the shoulder, ?be brave lad.?

?Aye, thanks Rurik.?

Although he never said it, Feralin always did doubt himself, Rurik knew only a portion of this. The wind in the palace refuses to speak, and something tells him blood has been spilt here very recently... all in the search of power.

?The sooner we find the ruby, the better.?

Chaarna heard, and smiled at the elf druid. The first time she had done so since that night. He had no idea why she was so mad the next morning, but perhaps this trip would help soothe things over.

Somehow he doubted that too.

~***~

?Ah, this is better. Although the whole place is nothing to what it should be.?

?I don?t recall you being interested in sightseeing the palace, Catharandamus.? A woman in long blonde pigtails commented, she looked over a few long neglected tomes, most turning to dust even under the most graceful touch.

?My interests, I do not recall choosing to share with you, Aleigha.? Warned the older man as he casually slung his mace to his shoulder.

?Well, we found that map, but your two lackeys seem unable to translate it.?
?I figured as much, but it is of no consequence as true treasure still is here; that map is for their pathetic sake. Speaking of which, I think I may have found a new way to get it.?

?A new plan?? Aleigha blinked in surprise, she always felt uneasy about the fugitive priest of Shar. But his tone was even more suspicious than ever before.

?Yes. Rest assured your cure will be delivered, as a servant of Shar I could do no less for someone such as you.?
?Thank you,? Aleigha broke eye contact briefly, ?but what did you mean by a new plan??

?We have visitors in the palace, they are scouring the first floor as we speak, and soon they will find the treasure of this place, I am sure. When they come this way however; we may have further use for them, if they prove worthy.?

That was clearly a sign of hostile intentions. Knowing not to argue when outnumbered, Aleigha fell silent and restarted her search through rubble for possible treasures that may aid her.

Catharandamus smiled; he may yet have his chance.

~***~

A group of orcs came rushing from the corridors; Chaarna invoked a few magic missiles at what was presumably the leader. The rest, were hit by a hail of arrows, courtesy of Dirbert, Shadow and Amalia. Paraway lunged his spear into an oncoming orc who missed his swing with the axe. The corpse was thrown over as two more orcs appeared behind the wood elf; Feralin summoned forth a Shillelagh, replacing his scimitars temporarily as he threw himself at the four-remaing orcs and promptly knocked two out of their cover zones.

The fight lasted for a few brief minutes and then nothing but silence returned to the place, as Rurik motioned the others towards the room the orcs seemed to have taken up residence in.

There was a large pile of bodies, obviously moved from their previous positions when they fell. Paraway crouched down next to one of the men, Feralin followed suit.

?I know those colors. These men belong to a powerful merchant house in Waterdeep. But what are they doing here??

?Searching for something. All they found was orc blades in the end I guess.?

The wood elf shook his head at that comment and checked the dead man?s wrist, identifying a tattoo. ?This is the symbol of the house I was once aiding before the amber eyed witch escaped. There may be more, this party was merely a scouting group.?

The two elves rose from their stations and began searching the room for possible equipment. After several minutes of fruitless searching, the party began southward, scouring the southern halls of the palace for Chaarna?s treasure.

Shadow sniffed as they approached another large pile of bodies somewhere deeper in the palace.

"I hate this place..."

~***~

"Vile slaver scum!" The elf felt his gut wrench with disgust as five orcs stood on top of Nelleck?s corpse, the fool had tried to save a child only to get himself killed and the child with him. If he was his divine father he might have brushed it aside as acceptable, but he wasn?t.

The orc grunted, "he be the one the master wants, Grimnaw clan take godling alive, we be rewarded."

"Whatever you want orc fiends, you and your allies will not have it."
"Har! Har! You think you stronger? Bah, we teach you to fear us."

The orcs attempted to surround the elf warrior, but their axes found each other?s bodies more than the ever-evasive elf. But the roof suddenly smelt of smoke, it was likely someone had shot flaming arrows at the house. Escape was nessecary.

The last orc caught himself between the door and his comrade?s axe; Jermien had sent his powerful magics against the brunt of the slavers, but their riders were faster than his magic missiles or fireballs. Humans and demi-humans alike were attacking Oakhurst, but although they behaved like slavers, capturing women, children, and the strong males if possible. They for some reason were avoiding setting too many buildings alight until searching them.

More slavers approached, the elf gripped his blade and cut into the ranks of orcs and human criminals, signalling Jermien to try and buy more time for the families to escape through the underground tunnels.

Suddenly a human man approached, the other slavers broke off their attack, some narrowly missing a lethal blow. He was tall, olive like skin but his face showed more age by scaring than age.

"So you are the one they call the Scourge of the Sword Coast." An old name the elf had been given that name by Yaga Shura and other enemies he had made in the past... bloodline or no.

"I am Eanwulf, leader of the slavers. We do not wish to end this with violence, as you can see we have tried to save your people from the mindless destruction of some of the less reputable creatures that have travelled here with us. All we wish is supplies let no more blood be spilt today."

The elf spat on the ground and stared at the old slaver with disgust, he held his sword up towards the man.

"Even when your blood stains this soil slaver, your minions will simply torch this village and enslave those strong enough to be profitable. I admire you courage, but only when our mettle is tested can it be so. You and all your troops shall die this day."

Eanwulf grimaced; he had heard that the one who spelled doom to the Slave Lords all those years ago was not one for nonsense especially by other slavers... it was clear there would be no alternative.

"Then our blades are crossed, slavers to arms!"

The followers of Eanwulf closed ranks, and focused their attention upon the elf, Jermien saw this opportunity shot a quick defensive spell to his friend and then quickly hurried with the evacuation.

Blades were drawn, and the blood of slavers was still yet to dry.

~***~

?Stop! Lower your weapons, we mean no harm!?

That much was true as the two mysterious figures reappeared their hands clearly out of immediate reach for their weapons. The one who talked was a young human woman with long hair, a pale blonde in the rare light of the passageway. Her friend was harder to tell, wearing a hood and slightly less athletic in appearance than her taller ample friend.

?Who are you?? Feralin almost took himself aback with his tone, but snapping was rarely a surprise when your nerves were edgier than buzzsaws.

?My name is Candella and this is my friend, Duchess.?

Rurik stepped forward with a keen eye on the duo, ?I recognise these two, they were at my shop in Saltmarsh last week. So this is what happened to them.?

Candella grew slightly pale with hope as the dwarf spoke, ?Yeah that?s us, um... thank you for the gear.?

Rurik frowned at the girl, ?Ye still owe me fifty girl.?

?So what are you two doing here anyway?? Feralin asked hoping to get back on track.

?The same as you, I guess. Exploring the ruins and trying to find our fortune.?

The group blinked in unison, Amalia almost giggled as she clasped her hand over her mouth. The other woman frowned at this but her partner didn?t notice. ?Well good luck with that, Candella. We?ll be moving along, I suggest you do the same.?

?Wait! Why don?t we join up? We weren?t as tough and prepared for adventuring as we had originally thought ourselves to be.? Feralin arched his eyebrow in surprise, ?how can you help us??

The other woman stepped forward, ?Candella the treasure isn?t worth the trouble, let?s just get out of here.? The Duchess was immediately silenced with a wave of the hand, ?I?ve had some practice with dealing with the odd trap or two, and I know how to fight in a tight situation.?

?Yeah tight, that much is certain,? Dirbert grinned, Candella blushed as she withdrew to herself.

?That?s enough teasing for one day Dirbert,? Feralin warned and returned his focus to the two women. Duchess looked genuinely interested in heading for the nearest exit, Candella on the other hand was almost insistently praying to whatever god she follows for the other answer.

?Very well, you can come with us. But it?s only going to get more dangerous from this point onward so be alert.?

?Thank you!? Candella immediately jump-hugged her new team leader, before remembering herself and withdrew from the reddened elf.

?You can?t be serious Feralin!? ?Deadly serious,? Feralin coughed, ?we need all the help we can get considering the signs Paraway pointed out. If this gem is as valuable as you said it is, then all of us here would be living the highlife in Waterdeep and still be able to afford a cure for Oakhurst once this is over.?

Odd reasoning but Chaarna only pouted once more before falling silent, jealous probably. He shrugged off the idea.

?What about you miss?? Amalia asked with prying eyes, the other woman?s blue eyes looked around the environment in fear, ?I?d rather be out of here... I?m not going any further than I need to.?

Paraway nodded, ?I can guide you back while the others locate the next level, Feralin, with your permission?? The druid nodded to the ranger and the two were off without missing a beat.

Overall not a bad start to their expedition in this... ruin.

~********~

Edited by Solar's Harper, 12 April 2008 - 10:55 PM.

~***~***~***~

#7 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

Chapter 5:

Tale of the Silver Warrior Act III

It is by greed I come to this place.
It is by greed I set my eye on my Lady?s Heart.
It is by greed is raise my sword hand.
And it is by greed that I damn myself, and all those around me to eternal undeath.
For the Lady?s Heart is mine alone.

- Chant of the Silver Warrior

~***~

"Quickly! Through the tunnel, run as fast as you can!" Without waiting for directions the children rushed through the secret passage as Jermien clashed with orc slavers, barely keeping pace with the cleaving axes and the stray arrows headed towards him.

"Right shall prevail!" His hands burned with arcane might; the tide turned, several orcs immediately fled as their comrades were burned severely at close range.

"Ker?tak! Summon more warrio?arrgh!" Fires burned through the leader?s vest scorching everything it could find on the orc?s greasy body.

As if slowly drawing out of a blind rush of rage, Jermien quickly discerned his pyromania behaviour in the last minute would surely destroy this house; already his neighbor?s favourite curtains were on fire.

"Mystra... be merciful, let them escape." Resigning to his fate as the doors and windows were consumed in the flame. He had thought to escape enslavement through death, and waited patiently as the hand of Kelemvor descended upon him.

He could not have been more wrong...

A figure in cold dark steel burst through the flames, there he stood, not even wincing at the heat.

"Your time is not yet old fool." Commanded the mystery figure; Jermien quickly searched his mind for what spells he had left, and found he had exhausted all.

"Who are you? And what do--" "Your answers will not come from me, suffice to say you may yet have a role to play in the grand design. For now, slave, you will serve new masters. But in time you will serve that which takes life!"

The tall figure raised an index finger, and within seconds Jermien knew no more.

~***~

"What could be more stupid than a bandit leader setting himself alight with a trap he set? Oh yes, a selfish invoker." Feralin had just about his fill of nonsense for the day, ever since meeting Candella she became more annoying than ever and all of a sudden it was too much.

"You never listen do you?" "That?s rich coming from the princess who doesn?t listen to anyone but her own self!"

"Are we getting anywhere, Rurik?" Shadow asked the dwarf who was looking on with a half annoyed expression on his face. "Oh nay, I think those two will be fighting for some time. Daggers will be flying even after the words quiet down."

"Guys?"

"Shut up Dirbert!" Chaarna hissed and went back to arguing.

"Guys!?"
"The raven is playing a deadly trick, on our friends here." Paraway mused quietly as the half-elven ranger tried to get between the invoker and druid. "Seldarine help the younger brother, two vipers intent on killing are not to be toyed with."

"Guys!" Dirbert shouted one last time, this time drawing his blade involuntarily from its sheath, all eyes turned to him staring him down, but a grim expression hung on the half-elf?s face.

"What is it now?" Feralin demanded.

"It?s your sister Feralin! She?s... she?s gone unconscious!"

~***~

"Where am I?

Who am I? What kind of question is that?
What am I? I?m elven! Who?s asking me these insipid ques...
Learn? Learn what?
No! Go away! I don?t want that!
Stop it! No knives! Not the knives!
No! NO! Feralin! Feralin where are you? Help me!!"

~***~

The group camped in a large cold marble room that seemed to have some sort of significance, the pillars offering both protection and stealth. Surprisingly there were no more orcs, or ogrillions to be found.

Feralin wiped the sweat from his brow as he tried once more to revive his sister from her state. Dirbert watched carefully yet couldn?t stop his visible shaking as he tried to occupy himself with the bow of his grandfather.

Chaarna and Candella seemed to keep distance from each other, the blonde woman seemingly clueless to the invoker?s rage, more concerned with what she had heard about the ruins.

"I read a text saying the Lady?s Heart was kept secreted in a place of cold marble, and protected by the wraiths of the Silver Warrior and Silver Princess. I think we?re in the right place."

"There has been activity here recently," Paraway added, "it would be wise for everyone to be alert."

The group continued on in silence, Dirbert thumbed through his mind thinking of what to say. The druid kept using whatever magic he could summon suspecting a dose of poison had entered her system. The results were not worth reporting at all.

"Come on Amalia! Don?t you surrender just yet; this is not nature?s will! I won?t let you slip away forever!" The elf woman remained deathly silent, her face paler even in the darkness away from the white light of the center orb of the room.

"By the Great Mother! Why can?t you wake?" A tear escaped the druid?s eyes, slowly making it down to his patient?s cheek. Dirbert silently watched on with a pained expression.

"I think I found it!" Reaching for what seemed to be an ordinary brick in the wall, suddenly the wall moved slightly forward, making a small click as it slowly shifted away to reveal a small room, and a wooden table with a sparkling red ruby like gem sitting atop its throne.

"That?s it!" Chaarna exclaimed. "Yes that is indeed it," another voice called in the distant shadows. A battalion of thugs appeared on the other side of the room, some already having made their way past traps previously set up by Shadow and Candella. Of all of them a tall blonde haired human man stepped forward, motioning two gruff looking dwarves and a young human woman in blonde pigtails to come to his side.

?You have done well adventurers, and Shar knows how to repay those who serve loyally, if unknowingly.? There was a sinister undertone to the man?s otherwise polite exterior. "What do you want?" Chaarna asked warily.

The man laughed, "What do I want? The only reason I?d be in this god-forsaken tomb is for the very gem you have with you. Hand it over and you may leave."

Chaarna?s face flushed with anger, "you must be joking. I will reduce you all to ash before giving you that satisfaction."

The man simply dismissed the comment with a wave of his hand. "You and who?s army? Attack!"

~***~

Immediately Chaarna released a volley of magic missiles aimed at one of the dwarves and retreated behind the pillar. Several bandits tried to charge the group but fell into traps they hadn?t detected.

Armed with magically enhanced arrows, Dirbert and Paraway fired at the lead pack, the leader was undisturbed by most of this, even after receiving a direct hit in the shoulder. He animated the remains of some of his fallen comrades to aid him.

Dirbert paused noticing the new foes, "undead? Rurik!" "I?m on it lad no need to shout." Grabbing his holy symbol Rurik's chant began as skeletons started to swarm the left flank.

A skeleton cleaved his axe cutting Candella?s long hair. "My hair! You bastard!" Candella bought two blades meet skull; the skull came off in one fell swoop, yet the body persisted. "No fair!" she whined.

Meanwhile Aleigha made her way around the pillars silently, coming across the elf druid and his sister, seemingly undeterred by the battle raging a few feet away.

"This is it Aleigha, we can take him and?wait... this isn?t right. He?s... he?s crying?"

"You can come out of those shadows foe. I know you?re there."

Aleigha felt her blood freeze, part of her wanted to kill this elf and the other one too... but how could she? It wasn?t right.

Feralin looked up at the emerald eyes of his opponent, he saw conflict within them, one seeking his death the other unsure what to do. And all the while he could only see his sister?s eyes in them, same colour, a kindred spirit... yet completely alien now.

"Well?" He asked. "Why aren?t you attacking?"

"You haven?t even raised a weapon to help your friends!" Aleigha pointed in the general direction of the battle, although by all rights most of it was on the other side of the room by now.

The druid shrugged, "I can?t fight like this... I can?t leave her like this." He looked back to Amalia, Aleigha followed his eyes. In that moment she made her decision.

~***~

"You fight with honor, unusual for a slaver." Eanwulf staggered back to his feet as the elven Bhaalspawn stood over him, eyes gleaming not with respect, but also deprived of hatred.

"I did not intend for this to end in violence. And now there is little point for my crew, we need supplies. If your village can?t comply with that simple request then we?re damned either way."

"You?re a slaver... you expect me to simply give you whatever you need?"

A sadistic gleam suddenly washed across Eanwulf?s eye, in the distance he saw one of his agents ? an amber-eyed elf that had succeeded in her mission.

"Now the plan has worked. Surrender now and allow us to restock on supplies, and I will prohibit my men from causing any more harm. Think of the people of Oakhurst. Think of your progeny. Think, of your wife."

A rush of anger suddenly surged in the elf?s face, Eanwulf saw it all. He had finally bested the Terror of the Sword Coast. Noticing truth in the Slave Lord's words as he looked behind him ? it was all too true that he had been beaten.

?Very well..."

~***~

"Aleigha... you traitor!" Catharandamus cursed under the weight of steel. Suddenly a cold chill entered the room, a ghostly visage of the Silver Warrior appeared in the center of the room, eyes shining brighter than any star and a long rapier like blade ready to drive into the hearts of all that live.

"Thieves have come for my Lady?s Heart!
Thieves shall die as all have died for my greed!"

The ghostly visage pounced towards the invoker Chaarna, who had taken the ruby from its resting place during the chaos of the battle. His ethereal blade sharpened close to flesh, badly wounding the invoker?s arm as she attempted to tumble out of the way. Dirbert quickly shot a few arrows as the ghost recovered from his cleave attack, for the most part normal weapons proved ineffective, yet magically enchanted weapons had the desired effect. Without such equipment, Shadow stalked off to aid Chaarna.

"Give me the heart!" hissed the Silver Warrior as he again turned his attention to the bleeding invoker, the ruby she carried started to glow slightly and a second ghost appeared beside the prone mage ? a female ghost without the glow of malevolence most other spirits in the palace had shown.

?The Silver Warrior is a formidable foe, I shall aid you Invoker, take my strength and flee. If you do not the servants of the warrior will find thee, I shall explain what to do as you go.?

Chaarna stammered a confused look, her wounds suddenly felt healed, no... It?s like they never happened. "But... my friends." She looked back into the center of the marble room; the pale light made no attempt to disguise the fatigue and desperation of her comrades... except. Where was Feralin? Or that woman that accompanied the Shaaran?

Panic caused the mage to leap to her feet shouting as harshly as she could, all the arcane power she could muster from her remaining arsenal. The wraith apparition shrieked in fury, and then all of a sudden two new figures appeared from the shadows, one clearly human... the other, a falcon humanoid?

~***~

Circling the wraith, Aleigha moved and ducked underneath the Silver Warrior's side cleave, striking a normally crippling blow to the wraith?s right leg. Being dead however the spirit was merely unamused, as he went on to blindly rush the amazoness, damaging anything in his path.

Feralin moved in-between the two, using his powerful shield like wings to block the attack and quickly bought the other wing around to smash the spirit backwards, and an almost effective attempt at a knockdown.

Taking advantage of the situation, Rurik jumped onto the spirit?s dazed form, landing a crushing blow on the apparition?s skull. The ghostly visage dissipated ? wailing a terrible scream. It was at that moment Amalia awoke from her dream, and rushed to the scene.

Cartharandmanus however, was nowhere to be seen.

~********~

Edited by Solar's Harper, 12 April 2008 - 10:42 PM.

~***~***~***~

#8 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

Author's Note: Yes we're finally out of the dungeon. :) A bit rushed this chapter anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 6:

Snatching Crows

Run and hide, here come the thieves!
Run and hide, here fly the crows!
Run and hide, for if you don?t you?ll never know.
Run and hide, for in five minutes snatching crows will be after you.

- A bored Shadow Thief

~***~

"Only a setback. It is only a setback." No matter how many times Catharandamus told himself the wounds he sustained told a different story. Limping away from battle and into the long lower halls of the palace, he knew that if he stopped even for a minute either orcs or those meddlers would surely find him, if they weren?t dead already the fools.

"Shar... grant me your unholy strength, darkness fill the void my wounds have left me!"

A small gush of wind encircled the warrior priest and he felt slightly better, if a bit drained, as was the nature of his patron?s dark magic. The world was spinning as he slowly made his way past old corpses of goblins, orcs and undead creatures. This whole expedition had taken a turn for the worst, it was time to find a new way out of this dilemma, he would not be denied his revenge.

Especially not by some brats and a burly dwarf.

Suddenly his right leg gave away and just in time, an arrow barely snipped what would?ve been his head and not his hair. "Traps... I hate this place," he muttered and limped on, eyes warily watching the hall for the slightest change, he paid no heed to the bleeding trail he sometimes left on the wall he collapsed occasionally on, if he was to die, it was for Shar.

~***~

It took a long time to calm his sister down and indeed just as much time to figure out how his first shape shift occurred so fluently. When she related to the dream she had however, Feralin was left without words to console her. For once he was thankful he had Dirbert as company, who seemed to have the right words in place.

"The knives... father mentioned something about them but... wait, why does it hurt to think about him?" a sudden rush of concern came over the druid as he rose to meet his comrades.

"How is everyone?"
"All present, except for that priest that escaped, and we?re still yet to decide what to do with her," Chaarna explained pointing towards Aleigha, who sat under a pillar without her weapons, patiently awaiting whatever fate was to come for her actions.

Feralin nodded, "We?ll take her with us."

Immediately Chaarna snapped, ?what? But she tried to kill us Feralin!?

"Not from where I?m standin? she didn't," Rurik pipped in, "besides this lass helped us against that there wraith when she could?ve killed ye and fled."

Chaarna once looked at the sitting amazoness and turned away with a sneer, "why more?" she thought.

Amalia knelt down beside Aleigha looking at her with curious intensity, "will you come with us?"

Aleigha turned her head briefly to meet the young elf and smiled in agreement. Deep down though she still felt the urge to kill those elves... after what their kind did ? she felt guilty for it though.

~***~

Was it déjà vu? Or just plain bad luck? War drums of orcs, goblins and various other creatures resounded throughout the halls of the lower levels as the group moved towards the exit, the palace was shaking, some passageways collapsing behind them or in front.

"This way!" Chaarna clutched the ruby now tied into a necklace and with the guidance of the Lady Argenta?s spirit, still she felt weak and without the ruby she would surely be too weak to walk.

"Look out!" A two-headed ogre appeared from the shadows swinging a spiked club about four metres long. Aleigha shapeshifted to her bear like form and distracted the ogre, Paraway supported Shadow in leaping at the ogre?s joint neck and successfully executed the beast with one killer strike.

"We don?t have much time, Argenta says we have only a few minutes left before the palace entrance falls through."

The group neared the exit, a bright ray of light poured in from the outside that it was almost blinding. The shrieks of orcs and goblins could be heard from behind, arrows flamed towards Rurik, "Argh, bastard, gah!"

"Wow Rurik, that?s the first time I?ve seen a dwarf get a flaming arrow in the butt," Amalia snickered and returned fire. "Damn it lass, I?ve had worse. Feralin there?s no way we can all move at once.?

"I know," said as a surge of magic produced various stones of magical nature. "Chaarna, go with Dirbert and Shadow! Get back to the surface and cover for us!"

As if possessed Chaarna didn?t wait for the retreat order, "Hey! Feralin she's-" "Don?t tell me Dirbert, just follow her, Shadow you go next!" "I?m on it, sheesh."

~***~

A rush of air met the invoker as she surfaced, the battle barely behind her. For a moment she seemed to come out of a trance as the ruby grew silent.

"There you are! C?mon we need to--"
"Sssh!? hissed Shadow, ?you hear that?"

The trio looked at their high surroundings, a faint noise could be heard yet no distinct movement could be seen. ?Maybe a bird or?? before Dirbert could finish a small sphere like object landed in front of them, releasing a vapour.

"Sleepin?gas!" Shadow coughed shortly falling unconscious.

A few moments later the sound of moving feet could be heard, all Chaarna could see though was the bright sun in the sky, and then into slipped oblivion.

~***~

"We can?t stay here any longer!" The pillar began to shake and more sections of the roof rained onto the group, the howls of crushed orcs made little difference. "Argh, no choice, go everyone! Go!"

A blind rush for freedom as the howls of death and collapsing ruins fell out behind him; Feralin grabbed his sister and rushed her to Rurik?s aid as the dwarf fell under the weight of a stray brick.

Between coughing, heaving and dust however, freedom was never far off, and they would taste the sky once more... but in the distance an ominous red painted Oakhurst, and of all who would see it in time, only Amalia truly knew what it meant.

~********~

~***~***~***~

#9 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Chapter 7:

Awakening

Sleep long.
And wake to a world not your own.

~***~

In the recess of shadows, Chaarna?s vision blurred as she slowly rose, her head filled with pain and vision dimmed heavily.

?Where am I?? she asked the darkness, almost on que a distant door in this room of chains and shadows, opened, revealing three figures, one elf with amber eyes, a tall man whose features couldn?t be made out in this light, and what looked to be an ordinary pirate, ?most likely a guard,? she theorised as she tried to stand.

?Be at ease, you?re in no danger Chaarna of Calimport.? The tall man motioned for the guard to remove a pair of bracers that Chaarna awoke bound to. She returned the stranger?s hidden gaze with disgust. ?Why have you kidnapped me? And where are my friends??

?Your friends were of no worth to us, nor were you, if I had not intervened.? The elven woman stepped out of the shadows and into the dim light from the small outing above.

Chaarna glanced at this woman; her eyes were abnormal for a surface elf?s, almost drow if she read Colette?s notes correctly. And her hair and skin showed many signs of necromantic power, perhaps only visible to another mage?s eye.

The woman flashed a bemused smile, ?I have use of you, and you will gain much by cooperating with me.?

?Are we done Kessa?? The tall man interjected, patience obviously wearing down in his voice, the elf smiled deviously back at him: ?for now.?

?I have no choice do I?? Chaarna sighed inward, looking around one could easily tell she was a prisoner, and if the shaking of the room, the sound of waves, and the omnipresent lurching of her last meal had anything to do with where she was.

She quickly gazed into the blinding white light in the ceiling, ?Are they ok??

~***~

The embers of the burning village were starting to dissipate, only a few buildings remained alight. Surveying the carnage Feralin felt an inner grip of rage he had never felt before. It called to him.

?Bastard slavers!? he shouted aloud, punching a non-existent wall. Rurik shook his head, ?easy lad, if we?re going to do anythin? it?s best be done with a clear head.? Feralin snarled, ?The first slaver I come across, Rurik, is going to die, simple as that.?

Dirbert was no better, he frantically searched the rubble of his old home and found no traces of his parents, even ash would?ve put the half-elf?s mind at ease. Aleigha silently teared up as she helped Paraway pile what bodies could be found, be they villager or slaver.

?How could they be so cruel?? She asked, no one answered her.

The work continued on into night as daylight dipped behind the various forests and cliffs surrounding what used to be Oakhurst. Except for those who piled the bodies and sung in anger, the curses of the slaver ? there was no life to be found, even birds fled to less bloody nests.

Night fell silently, pyres had been lit in the town center as the group of adventurers looked on, what little could be found, had to be burned, friend or foe.

Camp had been made just outside of the town, on the road to Saltmarsh, the ever-expansive community south and the hub of much of the salt trade in the western edges of Sembia.

~***~

?All gone...? Feralin sighed, leaning against an old oak tree and gazing idly into the nearby fire. The others were talking amongst themselves, Aleigha was singing softly, and did manage to raise the spirits of a few members at least. Feralin however remained embittered.

?You should?ve been there,? an inner voice cackled, he shook his head to clear his mind of it. But the voice wouldn?t have it, ?you know what must be done.?

?Do I really, Voice? I know what you are, Leave me alone.? The voice laughed mockingly again, ?pathetic, all this talent, leadership, and yet you couldn?t defend a single villager from harm, paaathetic.? ?SHUT UP!? He yelled, grabbing one scimitar and thrusting it into a nearby rock, cracking the rock under the pressure.

?Fera? Are you alright?? A familiar voice called from behind him, Amalia stood behind the elf druid as he reclined back to his resting place.

She sat down beside him, and took his hand into her own. ?I shouldn?t have led us away,? he croaked, tears welling in his eyes; Amalia studied her brother carefully, tracing his wearied lines mentally as she rubbed the elf?s palm.

?It?s not your fault brother...? she said solemnly, ?if we had been here, we would?ve been caught too. Chaarna...?

Chaarna had disappeared; the thought came back to Feralin as his sister fell quiet under the voices of the others. When they found Dirbert and Shadow, they could only recall that someone had ambushed them with a form of sleeping gas, they fell unconscious before they could find out more.

?She?s gone, just like mom and dad are gone... only.?
?We can still get her back Fera!? Amalia snapped and let go of her brother?s hand, instead pushing his left shoulder against the tree.

Feralin blinked a few times, he had remembered that Amalia had fallen unconscious, but she never really had time to explain. She withdrew her hand and apologised, starting another long round of silence.

~***~

?Sis, back at the palace...? Feralin whispered, trying not to cause too much attention from the others as they bantered amongst themselves.

Amalia looked again at her brother, his face had grown sterner this time, worried also. ?I know what you?re thinking...? she muttered. ?It is so.?

?What did you see??

She frowned and closed her eyes, ?Blood. Knives. Oakhurst in flames... I saw all, and I cried to you, to mother, and to father for help... no one answered, except...?

?Except what?? He asked, he had to be sure.

?... a voice. One I?ve never heard, yet never been a stranger to.?

It had been just as they both feared, he and his father. Many months ago after a bandit hunt did Feralin first hear it?s call, Bhaal, he never told his father yet somehow he knew. He wouldn?t have said those things in jest, and by the tone, he had known for a long time.

But his sister? Why?

?I don?t know what to do Fera,? she interrupted Feralin?s thoughts, she still whispered but her voice had become raspy, he gently held her hand in the darkness, ignoring the noise about them.

?We?ll find a way.? He said, and that was the end of the discussion.

~***~

The crew outside was noisy, yet inside his quarters Eanwulf could find solace, although in his present company that was an unwise choice.

?The men gathered whom they could, they cannot be blamed for foolish behaviour.? He looked over his shoulder, there stood two of his best guards, and his special guest, and ally. Always shielded in dark armor resembling a Blackguard in nature, the humanoid creature slammed his metallic fist on the large table in the room?s center.

?Your men are incompetent fools, Slave Lord. You gave them orders clear and simple, yet by some mere stroke of misfortune, they did not only capture but one person, but they also took a noble-born instead of their targets!?

The slave lord waved aside the matter with a flick of his hand, ?they have been punished according to our organization?s law. Whatever they stole will be repaid to the respective employer, and what?s left over will go to the greater good of the guild.?

The Blackguard thundered to the nearby cabin window, clearly angry, Eanwulf had been glad that at least this provoked some sort of response; up until now his aide had been otherwise unpredictable and unemotional, and that was something he could ill afford to have in such company.

?We do not have much time.? The armored figure said finally.

Eanwulf nodded in reply as he walked over to the table, ?I have sent word to agents in the field, you might want to rest before issuing commands.?

?Aye,? the Blackguard nodded, ?but first a message for our other listener.? Without time to react, the dark knight drew his vorpal blade, and cut down one of the guards... the corpse remained motionless, until it started into a spasm, violent and crude in it?s manner, the revealing corpse of a dopplegangler fizzled back to it?s original state.

?You clean this up.? The guard obeyed without meeting eye contact, Eanwulf watched silently, half in fear, half in amusement. It was clear to both, who the culprit was for this deception was.

?She will be a problem after all.?
And that was what he hoped for, Eanwulf smiled and left to meet the dawn.

~********~

~***~***~***~

#10 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

Chapter 8:

Ghosts of Deception

It is said liars deceive for the sake of deception.
But when they die do they become deception itself.
Of course... this was started folklore by yet another liar.
When will these ghosts tell the truth?

~ Musings of the Ulraunt of Candlekeep 1359 DR

~***~

The afternoon sky was clear in comparison to the dusty crowded streets of Saltmarsh; from a distance one could tell the town was clearly expanding too quickly to sustain itself. Paraway grunted as the party passed the inn, "humans leave no place for nature?s harmony here."

"It?s not that bad Paraway!" Candella teased but on que a wagon billowed more dust upon the party as they passed, "maybe we should go to the inn soon Feralin?" she coughed out.

"Not until we get more information about the matter the captain was referring to, better catch this Logan character while he?s not busy."

"Aye, as if he ever were." Rurik grunted and shouldered his swag more tightly, the mayor?s home seemed the most luxurious of buildings in the central part of town, open to practically anyone yet dwarfed by the spires of Umberlee?s church.

A guard met the adventurers as they entered but passed them on upon the mention of the captain?s request. The mayor?s office was well lit, and Logan himself abundantly dressed in wealthy fatigues, one would wonder how one could flaunt such luxury in the face of a desperate town.

"Greetings, I am Lord Logan Coprith, the mayor of Saltmarsh. Is there something I can help you with?"

Feralin made a half bow as the others watched on, "Greetings Lord Coprith. I am Feralin, my party and I just come Oakhurst. Some of us... are also all that is left of Oakhurst." He ended bitterly.

The mayor sighed, "Another village destroyed? I guess you need temporary shelter like the others? Please go and see the captain of the guard. She will help you, if she can."

"Actually, she told me to come here. We may have information that can help you."

Logan looked to meet the elf?s eyes, the dark blue steel of them gave him a momentary pause; finally: "What do you mean?"

"These attacks," Feralin recited remembering Jermien?s words, "are not by a raiding band of marauders. This is the work of slavers."

Immediately Logan sprung to his feet, nearly knocking his seat to the ground, the guard behind him steadied it, "Slavers? Are you sure? Tell me what you know."

Feralin debriefed the mayor for a few minutes, with added interjections from Shadow and Dirbert. Finally after much discussion, the mayor resigned back to his chair, visibly shaking, his voice quivering.

"Slavers. Why along the Sea of Fallen Stars? I had always heard this was common along the ocean coastal towns. Usually by pirates looking for easy prey."

No one answered as the mayor silently brooded in thought over the news, ?there are a small group of islands in the middle of the sea that the pirates use to hide from the law. Perhaps they are involved and taking people there.?

"What would pirates need slaves for?" Amalia queried quietly.

"They wouldn't use them but they would sell them. There has been no talk of slave trading on the islands. I don't see any point to them being involved. Pirates normally travel light and it would be hard to hide all these people without some authority finding them. No, you may be right. But if not them, who?"

Logan briefly scratched the left edge of his jaw line; "this is something for me to bring to the council as well as to pass this along to other towns. They must be warned as well." Logan extended his hand to shake with Feralin?s, "I thank you for this information."

Rather than shaking the mayor?s hand, the elf druid replied plainly, "I hear that you have a haunted house?"

"As if there weren't enough problems." Logan shook his head, "Yes, an alchemist lives in a large house a few miles out of town. We haven't seen or heard from him in years. For the past few months, there has been some sort of activity out there. Strange lights and noises. Normally I wouldn't care about something so harmless. But..."

"But what mayor?"

"I have a report from the captain that some young folk went out there on a dare and never came back. I tried to get a patrol to go investigate but they came back scared to death. Talking about weird lights and screams that make your skin crawl. Now, none of the guards will investigate and with all these refugees, I really don't have the time or manpower to investigate."

"We would be happy to do it for you." Feralin and Amalia stated in unison then fell into a quiet laugh without choice.

"That would be wonderful. Now I have some matters to attend to, Tymora bring you good fortune." And with that the party was once more standing outside the mayor?s study.

"He spoke of ghosts, but I am sure it is only an animal which makes such sounds. Many old ruins provide shelter for bats and other creatures." Paraway noted with a curious expression, Shadow however was less eager.

"Feralin, are you sure you want to do this? It doesn't sound very safe to me. Couldn't we just stay at an inn for a few days instead?"

"Everyone here is free to do what he or she wishes Shadow, if you don?t wish to come, then consider your service to Oakhurst free."

Shadow looked around at the other party members for a while, then finally down, "nah, I?ll get bored at the inn anyway, sods are probably too cheap to loot."

"Well I don?t like it," Dirbert added, "but I ain?t got nothing better to do. I?m in."

"Aye so am I, but we?re packing a bit too many people fer this ruin raiding, some of us?ll have ta? stay behind."

?That?s a good point Rurik,? Feralin noted, ?we also need to find what connections to the slavers can be made, sis, you should investigate that.?

Amalia nodded, ?what about Aleigha and Candella??

The two adventurers looked at each other for a moment, "I'll go with you. I wouldn't fare as well in a town anyway." Candella smiled at Aleigha's response.

"Good then it?s settled, Aleigha, Dirbert, Rurik, Paraway and myself will head to this haunted house, Amalia, Candella, Shadow, you girls start with the inn and work your way back, any information is vital. C?mon guys, Rurik has a shop in this town, we should restock."

"Aye, it will be good to be seein? me old forge again, this trip has been a typical Calimshite Alehouse."

~***~

Five hours gone and a lot of noise later, Amalia sighed looking into her own reflection at the open fountain in the city square, a few small fish seemed to be living contentedly and sometimes a passer by would buy fish food from the nearby vendors to feed the creatures, mostly to amuse the kids.

Shadow walked up to Amalia with a resigned look on her face, dusting off was sometimes more of a hobby than a need for the adventurers, but in this crowded town, with this many people and wagons, it was more like a requirement to breathe, if only for a moment, only a portion of the locals seemed unphased by the congestion.

?Did you find anything?? The halfling shook her head in reply, the elf turned her eyes back down to the water, wondering. ?So what are we going to do now?? Shadow asked sitting down beside Amalia, ?I?m not sure, wait for Candella maybe.?

Shadow snorted, ?yeah right, that big?un is probably too busy admiring herself adventuring gear.?

?That?s why I didn?t give her that much of our coin,? Amalia chuckled, inside she felt guilty for teasing Candella, despite being strangers she seemed fairly likeable, just naïve.

The laughter didn?t last long, suddenly loud curses were heard in the background, Candella ran up to the two thieves, ?there you are! Quick we have to go, a fight?s breaking out in the marketplace.?

Amalia?s eyes widened, ?A fight? What for?? Candella shrugged helping the elf up, ?I don?t know, all I can say is refugees often get into these scuffles with the locals.?

Sure enough, Saltmarsh guards started rushing the crowd, halberds and crossbows trained on the crowd while others forced those fighting apart from each other. A loud whistling noise signalled for more guards to lockdown the area, the three thieves slipped out just behind the militia wagon.

?I?m so glad Fera never had this kind of job.? Amalia?s voice was inevitably drowned between escaping into the alleyways, and the fighting in the street. Suddenly however the hairs on the back of her head stood on end, shadowy figures emerged one woman stood in the clearing behind them.

?Little one, you have been difficult to track down. But at last I have found you.? The woman cackled her companions grinning widely under the shine of their metal. Shadow took an involuntary step back behind Amalia, ?Oh no! Amalia, please stop them.?

?Who are you? What do you want?? The elf demanded, the crone screwed her face in disgust, her whitish hair and wrinkled face looking more alien than human with all the scars: ?This doesn't concern you, peasant! That halfling belongs to my commander. I have had enough of this searching across the Dales for her. Come along, child. Your punishment will be severe for running away. Don't make this any harder on yourself.?

?Amalia, we can't let them take Shadow. She has been a great help to us. Just think of all the times she saved our lives in that place.? Amalia nodded to Candella, ?I know, she?s our friend and that means this lot are foes. Beat it witch!?

The woman snarled indicating slightly to her insignia, a black staff centralising power on the crest of a golden coin, supported by black draconic wings. ?I had planned to kill you all anyway, now you force me to do this quickly. Guards make sure our bounty is protected. Kill the rest.?

The fighters lunged at the thieves who ducked into the shadows of the alleyway, Amalia enhanced her chances by armoring her skin with magic, Candella quickly scoffed a potion of speed she picked up and tossed another two to her companions, they followed suit and circled the fighters as they recklessly struck at the shadows, maintaining a circle around their leader.

The woman muttered some arcane words, Amalia recognised the words and hailed her companions to follow her into the street, they narrowly missed the grease that ensued and allowed the attention of some of the guards nearby.

?You! Halt!? The woman snarled at the Saltmarsh guards and sent a lightning bolt, hitting several but killing none. The whistle sounded and the thieves emerged again from the shadows, killing two of the hunters and injuring a third.

?Mistress! We stand no chance here!? ?Silence your tongue dog, and find the runt!? The soldier stifled a gulp, by now most hunters were dead and more guards on their way. Slowly did he find Shadow, creeping carefully behind her as the battle raged onward.

?Shadow behind you!? Candella?s warning gave the halfling enough time to tumble away; forcing the bounty hunter to over step, and subsequentially is ended in one fell dagger stab into his spine.

?Argh! Damn you elf! Die as you should!? The woman unleashed a wave of magic missiles straight for Amalia, knowing a direct hit likely, the elf instead charged forward, taking three hits before bringing her short swords past the warrior mage?s defences, the quarterstaff was broken and the defences laid bare. In desperation the woman allowed a defiant touch of flame to the elf, but the magical armor shrugged it off just enough to land her blade without delay.

The battle was over, and 7 bounty hunters were dead.

One of the guards unceremoniously picked himself up, ?citizen! What in the Nine Hells of Baator is the meaning of this??

?I-I?m not certain sir, these people were after my friend, the halfling over there.?

Shadow walked over to meet the guard, ?is that so?? he asked, ?tell me ma?am, what did this group want with you??

?I...? Shadow looked around anxiously, ?I?m not sure, they looked like slavers.?

?Sir!? A female guard interrupted, she crouched down beside the fallen slaver leader and daggered the small insignia amulet on the woman?s dead chest. ?Zhents, they?re here.?

The four other soldiers and Candella too widened in shock and fear, ?Zhentarim? What... no, that?s unimportant. You?re free to go citizens, this incident must be reported to the Captian, don?t try to leave town until investigations are complete, it may not be any safer on the road.?

With that the guards started piling bodies on a wagon, Shadow convinced the leading soldier to allow the party enough time to search through the fallen bodies for anything useful, in exchange for some coin as a fee to overlook the ?looting? of Zhentarim agents.

The day was wearing on, and suddenly the incident in the marketplace seemed much safer than what they walked into. Amalia looked at Shadow quizzically, ?so Shadow... why did??

?It?s not something I want to talk about okay?? Amalia found herself taken aback by Shadow?s fierce directness; instead of responding she nodded quietly. It had been a long day.

~***~

Night had descended by the time Feralin and his group came before the haunted house outside of Saltmarsh, a rather unnatural howling emanated from the house itself, yet to his druidic senses there was nothing malevolent or unnatural about it.

In dead silence the adventurers moved in and inside found a rather well kept house, hardly a cobweb in even the corners of the ceiling. ?For a house that is supposed to be abandoned, this place sure is clean.? Rurik indicated to the near spotless tables and furniture, the druid smiled in reply, ?I don't think the town knows that someone is living here. All those scary noises outside must be used to keep people away.?

?Maybe so, but that just means that whoever is here, doesn't want us here either.?
The party continued exploring the house; a brief gust of wind seemed to be coming in from upstairs. The snarling voices of goblins, and winged bone creatures the likes of which none of the party had ever seen before could be heard.

The goblins were clumsy with their axes and the bat like creatures too tightly packed to maneuver correctly, Paraway turned some of the creatures against each other as Rurik literally hammered the goblins, Dirbert fired upon the alien creatures and Feralin ensnared many with entangling wood formed out of the floor bed.

?I hear some voices!? Dirbert exclaimed once the fighting was done.

?In here, I think.? Feralin whispered and promptly bashed the lock, inside two frightened teenagers, one a halfling the other a human. After releasing the children another voice was heard in the opposite direction, this time after bashing the door lock and opening to the room, a long dark haired figure in rogue like fatigues and an eye patch sat strapped to a wooden chair, careful observation revealed he looked hardly harmed at all.

~***~

The proprietor of the inn was a divided person Amalia mused, whenever confronted with a man, she blew in hysteria, whenever a woman talked, she practically treated them like royalty... or rather as royal as one could be in such a place, many drunken sods could be found amongst the crowd tonight and more than once did she have to cleverly sidestep attempts by drunkards to grope the ?elven beauty?.

Convinced Feralin would not return until morning, Shadow and Candella joined her in sleeping off the evening, unable to learn anything except two things. She recalled in conversation: ?Aye I knowing them bastard nobles and their poncy art fetishes, Balthis an? Deril always stealin? from each other, methinks any burglar be richer than them swaggering manstumps!?

That afforded a few giggles for a rather long day, even if the innkeeper was sexist, none could deny her remarks bordered the line of decent conversation and plain insulting.

Sleep however did not prove to the elf?s favor.

Her vision turned red, not like her innate ability to see acutely in darkness, but blood red. A foreign landscape revealed itself to her in all directions, seemingly barren, yet in front of her a loud thundering noise came from below the cliff line.

She walked over, a shuddering whisper following her every step, a large army stood before her, blood red steel and coldly trained eyes trained on the world about them, further off an even darker shadow loomed... one familiar and disturbing.

?No... Not again, please not again!?

The dream didn?t listen to her and continued to play like as if she were but a mere witness, she saw herself, but nothing like she was. This Amalia?s eyes burned in eternal hatred, a lust to kill all in her path, several others flanked the clone as they marched towards the front of the line.

No longer on the cliff but rather amongst them, the elf found herself walking with her malevolent clone.

Then at the front of the lines did the shadow manifest itself, forming an equally large army but unlike the more humanoid looking one, this one was a pure manifestation of all evil beings, demons, shadows... many creatures she had no word to describe, she found herself in the thick of it.

And down below a hunger for what was inevitably to come, her clone smiled in her direction, for the first time noticing herself in the crowd.

The dream ended, with the thunderous stampede of the hordes of mortals, the burning red sky, and the screams of death.
She shivered for a long time without sleeping again...

~********~

~***~***~***~

#11 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

Chapter 9:

Open Eyes

Fear is what keeps the mind awake.
Fear is what keeps the mind aware.
It is by fear that my eyes shall never sleep.
It is by fear that my life is mine.
The dead may only rest here.

~ Underdark, a survivalist?s guide

~***~

The room was eerily lit; inside clandestine walls made of some the richest building materials from the shores of the Moonsea. An olive skinned man with dark hair and clad in armor carefully read his letter, a lone-cowled figure stood in the nearby heat of the fire, the red and black fatigues echoing the flames.

?My master expects swift response Lord Merchantius.? The armored man stared up to the veiled cowled figure, the so-called messenger was an assassin, even an untrained eye could tell that much. He held an unassuming piece of paper to his face, then screwed up the paper and threw it to the fire.

?Your master shall have his response.? He replied simply, the cowled figure nodded once then gazed into the fire. ?It is known... a group of adventurers from Oakhurst recently fled to this city. Proceed how you please, but do not forget whom has eyes in all places.?

Althon turned to respond, but suddenly the cowled figure was gone, there was no indication where he had disappeared. He shook his head solemnly and retreated to the nearby chair his host had been so kind to provide for his quarters.

Quietly he sipped on a glass of local wine, not as rich as his home favourite but it served its purpose he mused.

?Your master shall have his response.? The man chuckled silently and drowned himself into the taste of wine.

~***~

?Ye alright lad?? Rurik helped the elf druid to his feet, following a prompt dust off as Feralin regained his bearings. ?Ugh, last time I stand so close to a magic wand.?

?I don?t get it, what were these guys being so secretive about? All I see is alcohol here.? Rurik regarded Dirbert?s question with a musing voice, ?I have me suspicions but I won?t say them here, we best head back to the good captain.?

?I agree, the Raven has granted us an insight into this operation, but a small one mellonamin. We need to investigate.?

?I?d rather not have us all dragged into a corruption ring,? the druid sighed, ?but we have little choice, if these smugglers were working with someone in town, then it is likely we were involved the moment we got here.?

?So should we heave some of this stuff out?? Dirbert inquired, Paraway weighed some of the barrels then shook his head in response. Resigned to allowing the guards to clean the mess up, Feralin rallied the adventurers back to Saltmarsh, this time hopefully not taking as long.

Upon arriving at the gates the captain welcomed the adventurers, but grim news was set in as the situation was explained to her. Agreeing to follow, the group accompanied the Captain towards the office of Lord Logan.

?Halt! The mayor is not free at these hours, please wait until the morning.? The door guard made a motion with his halberd, but the Captain stood to the soldier?s face, ?our mayor is not too busy to hold an investigation update is he??

?Of, of course not ma?am, I apologize. Please be brief though, I?ll signal a servant to wake the mayor, it will be a short while. Please wait until I return.? The guard saluted his superior and left the group waiting outside.

?Are you certain of your accusations Feralin? If he is indeed innocent, then you are indebted to him, it is our law.?

?The accusations are based on facts Captain. If what you said about licences is true, then Logan is the likely culprit behind the smuggling.?
?What do ye mean likely lad? The bastard is guilty! Evading the bullet the rest of us have to bite, cheating bas??
?That is enough Rurik!? The captain shouted, ?One more outburst and I?ll have you arrested for disruption of the peace!?

It was then the guard returned more composed, he waved the adventurers through, apologising on the way.

In the shadows however, they were not alone.

~***~

?They are the ones the master seeks!? One of two cowled figures hissed, the other figure, a woman unsheathed her dagger. ?Much rests upon us... shall we proceed??

The male-cowled figure swayed his head, ?Nay, it is not time. Our ally in town has already been given his orders, how he shall proceed is uncertain though.?

The female tightened her grip on her dagger?s hilt, frustrated: ?We should not be relying on a slaver to accomplish our goals for us! Surely you and Galius recognise this!??

?Enough! One more slip of the tongue and you shall follow, sister.?

Quietly yet hesitantly the other figure let go of her anger, ?then what of the other? She sleeps, yet is restless, I can sense the taint upon her growing stronger. Her first true kills have weakened her, but the druid... he has grown since then.?

?Discussion here is pointless, we are here to observe which direction they take ? if they follow along the swamps, their first true war awaits them. If they head in the other, much murder awaits. We are the eyes that sees in death, that is all.?

Suddenly shouting could be heard from the mayor?s home, beneath the veils both the assassins smiled. ?The city?s dear mayor has certainly doomed himself in a foolish plot,? the man quirked.

?Come brother, let us be away.?

And with that, shadows left without a trace.

~********~

~***~***~***~

#12 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

Author's Note: This chapter contains some visually implying imagery of necromacy and the like, around the late segment. If such impressions are in any way too troubling for your reading, please refrain from reading further.

That said, the imagery is still fairly tame and mild, but it may or may not upset some readers - hence the warning. That said, hopefully this chapter will still appeal to people out there.
Thank you. :)

Chapter 10:

Baiting Smell

Much life and death revolves around the use of bait.
Like carnivores without the time or patience to hunt, traps are set.
And onward does the prey advance, unaware of the hunter?s eye, the hunter?s trick.
Slowly does the prey encircle, enthralled by the scent of bait, dreaming its undying lust.
And then slowly, without mercy...
The prey is no more than a memory.

~ Tale of the Pirate Islanders? Fishing Guild

~***~

The song of the morning birds and the clutter of the busy streets of Saltmarsh met Amalia as she rose from her stupor. She still heard the clanging of steel, the shrieks of fiends and mortals as they rushed each other to certain death. And the cold blazing stare of her clone self, the coldness she felt as the red intensified when the horns sounded and she awoke the first time.

It was as if she had not slept at all, not even reverie compared to this sleepless dream. But now she was awake she thought, and slowly she made her way out of the rented room ? Candella and Shadow had already awoken and were waiting for her in the common room.

??Bout time you?re awake!? the halfling smirked; the elf brushed the remark away, before her sleepy vision laid eyes upon several more familiar faces. When she noticed Feralin?s she called to him excitedly, causing the druid to almost lose his drink as she pounced to hug him.

?Whoa, settle down sis! Great to see you?re awake.? Amalia held Feralin tightly for a time without responding; he brushed aside her deep blonde hair, bringing her hug back down to arm length, she kept her head low to hide the condition of her eyes ? it was already too late, Feralin tilted her chin upwards to see the sleepless eyes of his sister, her green reflecting untold weariness.

?You haven?t been sleeping well.? He stated simply, she frowned in response removing her arms from her brother, eyeing the floor below.

?No. Its just tiredness I suppose. Bad dreams.?

Inside his anger curled again, against why his sister suffered worse than he has ? why she has been singled out. But instead of pressing he merely smiled and but one hand on her shoulder, a small tremble ensued but then Amalia smiled, her shaking stopped and she turned away with an unspoken ?thank you?.

The morning passed slowly at the inn, the adventurers idly gossiped among each other, Amalia still was distracted yet to everyone?s surprise Dirbert?s attempts to talk to her kept her from nodding off entirely.

The plan was decided however, all that awaited was the summons of the Saltmarsh council.

The Captain had arranged for a party of six members, which she wanted Feralin to spearhead, to help her investigate the source of the mysterious signals chart they had uncovered in the old mansion outside of Saltmarsh hours earlier. Candella had also done some research in town, and discovered a feud between two prominent nobles, Lord Balthis of the fishing fleet, and Lord Deril of the silk and textures trade.

These merchants undoubtedly had been feuding for control of each other?s assets for years, the most recent an artwork that was according to Lord Deril, stolen from his establishment. Yet no one can prove if it truly was his before, or even if Balthis commissioned for the piece in his home.

Shadow smelt money about it and voted to stay off the Captain?s team, likely to steal the artwork for the angered noble on the eastside of town. Rurik meanwhile had decided to start work in his smithy again for a time, already having his fill for adventure.

Feralin pondered on whom would accompany him; he dearly wanted to bring his sister this time, yet Candella despite her supposedly even greater immaturity and lack of serious consideration of her profession, still made up in skill.

He also felt Aleigha distrusted each elf of the party intensely. He wanted to know why his kin caused such pain to her, so much hatred, perhaps if it were not for her Lliiran ethos; she wouldn?t have deigned to join them. Perhaps she would?ve killed him before his first ever shapeshift had occurred in building hatred.

Or perhaps the falcon would?ve killed her? It was a question the druid was more than content to leave for another day.

~***~

Echoes of annoyance filled the halls of the fortress, scales shifted, talons sharpened against each other, the sahuagin warlord and his queen bickered, meanwhile the priestesses of Sekolah debated amidst the turmoil.

?The weak lizardmen must be purged! The time of our invasion is nigh! If we wait they will strike!?

?Silence! The weaklings have no strength against our warriors, our finest breed of the land creatures... wyverns; they will hound the wretches should they attempt to escape their pathetic swampland. We need not waste our time with the slave breed.?

The other priestess snarled, ?Your thinking would doom our victory, Svexxtralix! Leave a wounded animal, it will heal! It will grow! It will return anew, that wretched engineer is yet to finish repairs, worthless corpse as it is.?

?It was your pathetic magics that raised the fool, perhaps you should both be a sacrifice to Sekolah for your incompetence!?

Infuriated, the priestess swiped her talons at the other, turning an argument into a fight for survival. The other sahuagin ignored them.

Mentally their pet lizardman engineer sighed, as his body worked against his will. He had been denied death and even now was working against his own people, he cared naught for the methods; he just wanted to die. That was all he could care for now.

~***~

The rain was getting heavy, the small boat fought relentlessly against the tides, echoing in the creaks of wood and rope pulled to their tightest constraints. The adventurers used hoods or shields to keep the fierce rain from utterly overwhelming them. The fisherman guiding the boat, laughed, as the thunder grew louder and more intense in nature.

?Where is that smuggler boat now?? Yelled Dirbert to the fisherman, it took some time to register before a small light could be made out to the left; ?There she is, aye. ?Old onto yer sailing caps friends! That reef will cleave us in two if we try for ?em now!?

?Feralin! Can you do something?? Dirbert asked almost dulled out by another loud crash of the waves, soaking the crew in the process, between shaking and rowing all the druid could do was shrug his resignation and trust their captain?s judgement.

?Have faith hunting brothers... the Raven has followed us for a reason.? He turned to meet the half-elf?s gaze directly, ?Mellonamin, we will reach the ship intact.?

?No offence Paraway, but I think you?re insa?aane!!? A wave lifted the boat, throwing it, like a catapult stone, over the reef and pulling alongside the larger vessel. Amalia shivered as she recomposed, huddling what little dryness remained with her clothes.

?Aye there she is mates!? The fisherman laughed then turned towards his floor-imprinted companions, ?I?ll hook us up to ?er a moment, one of ye four grab a hook and follow my lead.?

~***~

Silently, and slowly, the adventurers climbed the ropes and onto the larger ship. Beneath the crackle of the wind and thunder, and the crashing noise of the wave, a roar of laughter and angry shouting could be made out.

?What?s all that noise up ahead?? Feralin asked, Paraway crouched, moving closer to the source, he signalled the others to him a moment later. In the distance men wearing bandannas, most muscular humans and one with a hook rather than a hand on one arm, the hook-armed man seemed to be the leader of the rabble, the adventurers figured.

?Can we take them?? Amalia wondered as they listened in. Looking outward to where some of the pirates were looking, a small light could be seen, in a rather coordinated fashion. The hook-man snarled, ?What in the abyss is that idiot Sanbalet doing??

?Good one boss.? A smaller pirate snickered, the hook-man however glared viciously into the smaller man, ?Shut up, you moron!?

A streak of forked lightning hit the waves, temporarily drowning any spoken words, however against the loud booming voice of the hook-man, his anger was unparalleled; ?Last night he didn't signal us correctly. Tonight he is sending the wrong signal as well!? He pondered for a moment then, ?Go tell the captain that I think we got problems.?

?Ah, okay. Eh, boss. We gots company!? Immediately Dirbert fired away an arrow at the pirates, the hook-man cleaved it in mid-air however with his hook, for a moment all were stunned.

?Well don't just stand there. Kill them! Save one for me. I've been wanting to gut someone with this hook.? The pirates brandished steel, Immediately Amalia unleashed a spell that caused the surface to become a temporary grease field.

The adventurers fanned out, Paraway quickly used both ends of his spear on two of the pirates as they closed about him. Dirbert kept to the back of the group and fired continuously at the packs of pirates.

Amidst the heavy rain, Feralin gazed at his muscular opponent, the hook-man. The bearded pirate spat with every curse he uttered, as he lunged at the druid relentlessly, slashing wildly with hook and sword alike. Unable to gain ground, Feralin called his sister for help, but it came too late, as a magic missile barrage hit the pirate leader, the man?s hook cleaved heavily into the druid?s left hand, causing him to drop his scimitar and instinctively kick the pirate away as fiercely as possible.

?Arr! Yer not so tough now are ya! Har! Har!? The hook-man turned towards Amalia, as she remained distracted with the other pirates and her spell weaving. Clutching his other scimitar strongly, Feralin unleashed a scream of rage and charged the hook-man, thrusting his blade into the hook-man?s spine, but throwing both of the men over the ship?s railing.

?Feralin!? Amalia rushed to the railing as her brother fell. With the last of the pirates disposed, Paraway and Dirbert joined her in bewilderment as both the elf and the hook-man disappeared beneath the currents.

?Wait here!? Paraway shouldered his spear and dived under, the cries to stop him, were met with another loud crackle of lightning as another wave moisturised the deck.

~***~

Slowly the druid floated downward, pulled even closer to the seabed. Slowly Feralin awoke, feeling his body paralysed he looked desperately at his situation holding his breath as he saw the vague light of the surface skipping away.

After a time he faded into darkness, and then: light.

A cave of sorts formed about the druid as his senses returned, surprisingly he found himself breathing and in front of him, a scaled figure, with a humanoid torso and a tail for a lower body, held his twin scimitars in reverence before him ? without touching the weapons themselves.

Slowly the clawed hands whisked runic inscriptions that burned under the water and etched into the blades of both scimitars. Then a red fiery shaft appeared, connecting the two scimitars by the hilt. Unconsciously and at the creature?s bidding, Feralin?s wounded hand reached out for the shaft, and confidently held the seemingly immaterial shaft.

As it contacted, a small burning feeling caressed his hand, engulfing the wound and soon, it was healed completely. His weapons had been reformed into one twin-blade, and the weapon returned to its master in peace, glowing an eerie pristine blue.

Feralin?s eyes met the creature?s obsidian, and what appeared to be a smile as the blade rested in his hand. Suddenly, he felt his sight faltering, his breathing becoming difficult, and eventually: nothing. His last sight, a shadow behind the vanishing serpent - swimming slowly towards him.

~***~

Steady... slow... finality... why must you make me do this, Markessa?

Chaarna felt her brow sweating more than she had ever known. She felt sick inside, yet the gleeful pride of her amber eyed teacher, the elf woman she now had the right to call, Markessa, it was too much to bear yet she still somehow remained standing.

She saw the elf vividly, the youngling barely in the age of puberty, so close to resembling Feralin even... she saw it all as she held Markessa?s bone dagger, and followed her every instruction like her own life depended on it.

Which it did.

In the short expanse of time she remained in Markessa?s ?care?, Chaarna learned the fates of her previous apprentices, their failures, leading to more than one horrible demise. Some she even kept around as trophies, eternal agony seemed too cruel to the invoker but the elf witch enjoyed it, she rolled in ecstasy at the sight of her former students suffer again and again.

And yet despite all this, her teacher treated her nicely in comparison, promising that once she unlearns what she knows and allows the lesson to flow freely into her mind. She will have power beyond the means of most mages, and she would become ?perfect?.

It was all a sick game!

There is no telling how many times she would need to vomit the lessons out of her mind and body before she could digest her first lesson. She just wanted to crawl away, being in the stockade seemed so much safer a fate now, compared to the madness she was now part of.

Tomorrow she will experiment on that living gnome, and she would do it with the hounds. Chaarna hated this place even more now.

The shadows of her cell were perhaps the only light of her days now.

~********~

~***~***~***~

#13 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

Chapter 11:

Slither in Deception

Many are the places we move.
Many are the homes we carve.
In the mists of the swamplands.
We are home.
We are One with Her.

Lament of the Druids of Chult

~***~

Hours had seemed to pass for Feralin; how he survived his underwater encounter he couldn?t remember. How his weapon had changed, he couldn?t remember. It was disorientating, but left for later.

The group ventured into the hull of the ship, encountering the easily angered pirates along the way. Among the pirates was a mage, the dark bearded mage was quick with his magic, but not with his reflexes as Paraway?s spear cut his leg, following up with a lethal jab to the chest.

Dirbert felt pain roaring off him even as the potion of healing worked on his wounds, never before did he think magic missiles could hurt so badly, Amalia knelt down by the archer as he tried to move his injured leg. Meanwhile Paraway and Feralin inspected the office the mage was found in.

?Are you sure there was nothing else you could see Paraway?? the wood elf glanced at the druid for a moment, recalling the events he witnessed. ?I only saw you, and your weapons forged as one, lying on the seabed. The Raven favors you greatly hunting brother.?

?Favors almost getting him killed!? Amalia snapped, unwittingly pulling tightly on Dirbert?s bandages causing the half-elf to wince loudly for a bit.

?I?m sorry for offending you,? Paraway slowly said and turned his attention back to a rock item they had found amongst the enemies. ?I have seen this talisman before. It was given to an elf from Waterdeep from a member of the wolf tribe. I have travelled with him before.?

?Who is this elf you speak of?? Feralin asked. ?His name is Aesdale Essen. His friend, Arendil gave him the talisman. He went missing and I could only assume he was dead. The amber-eyed witch was hunting him. If he lives, we should return his talisman. To keep it would only anger the wolf,? he pointed to the white painted paw as he finished.

?Well if your friend?s totem is here... then perhaps he is somewhere on board as well.? The druid crossed his arms thinking for a moment, he felt kind of odd having both his weapons suddenly strapped to his back as a double-edged blade, so stumbled slightly as the weight shifted.

?Mellonamin, you are not used to your weapon?s condition yet,? Paraway noted which the druid replied with a sly grin of acknowledgement.

?Well we have something else to think about first guys!? Amalia interrupted. The focus turned immediately to three bulky scaled creatures, one red and two murky green, hissing sharply and waving their halberds menacingly.

On instinct Feralin ran in front of his sister and Dirbert as they still sat on the stairway near the lizard like creatures, his twin-bladed weapon hissed in motion as he swung it into his attack stance, Paraway followed up behind him and Amalia helped Dirbert stand as the half-elf readied his bow again.

?Hisss... slay them in the name of the World Serpent!? The red-scaled creature said to his fellows. ?Dagor ar' lakilea!? the druid commanded, his comrades rallied into a tight defence with weapons drawn, the attackers, who were not phased by the sudden show of bravery by their opponents, they edged brutally forward.

Dirbert fought away the pain of moving his leg and fired the first shot at the creature on the left flank, Paraway blocked an attack by the leading creature and stabbed it in the chest, barely causing injury however he retreated.

Feralin brought his weapon to the chest of the right enemy, using it to bash down the enemy?s defence then with one fell clockwise swirl, he felt his blade cutting deep into his opponent?s side. The creature wailed in pain and tried to bring its halberd on the elf, he wedged his blade away from the wounded creature?s flesh just in time to tumble away from the cutting swipe.

To his amazement when he returned to his feet, the blade glowed a thirsty red aura and he strangely felt stronger, as if the blade feed him strength from the enemy?s lost vitality. Amalia dived under the tall creatures; with relative ease she slid right under the legs of the scarlet-scaled leader, she kicked the back of creature?s kneecaps with all her might, then guided her two short blades into the backs of the two other creatures.

The scarlet creature tried to stand; Paraway stood on the creature?s head with one foot and plunged his spear deep into its? back, moments later the last sigh of breath escaped the creature, and a piece of parchment fell from its? large clawed hand.

Exhausted the wild elf ranger fell back to his feet and gripped his spear in triumph. Slipping the double-sided blade back onto his back, Feralin extended his arm to his sister, whom to his surprise he was able to lift with surprising ease.

?Ow! Ah thanks... Remind me never to slide on wood again!? She stated loudly, the others couldn?t help but to laugh as the thief-mage attempted to soothe her back, unsuccessfully.

~***~

From the inside of the shadowed red walled room, the noise of the outside world muffled, with only slight tapping of raindrops audioable on the marble reflecting roof, though the true marble brick lay coldly on the floor.

A long blonde haired elven woman brushed her locks aside and looked at the man before her, clad in heavy silvery armor. A handsome man by her impressions but from what he was laughing about ? she didn?t feel like smiling at all.

?I don?t find this very funny,? the woman said softly, the man laughing looked at her, the light of the candle darkened his eyes; he smiled, ?keep your friends close and your enemies closer.?

?Why use Aesdale?? She asked quizzically, ?why not just attack his family??

The man waved his head solemnly, ?because if there?s an attack made on his family, it could be traced back to me.? He looked directly into the woman?s oceanic eyes, ?I can?t allow that to happen. Everybody respects me, and I intend to keep it that way,? he finished calmly.

The slender elf felt her spine tingle as the man placed a hand on his left hip, ?I see your point... though,? she wondered aloud, ?Why should I care??

Again the tall man smiled devilishly at the woman, ?I need you, to seduce our young Aesdale. Introduce him to a world, of decadence, and debauchery.?

?I cannot...? the elf said quietly adverting her gaze away to the ceiling.

?He?s quite handsome you know,? the man continued. ?Chestnut hair, grey eyes, tall,? he placed a plate mailed finger on his chin for moment thinking, ?potentially a powerful wizard.?

?I can?t,? she snapped at the last word feeling her throat ache painfully. Suddenly she felt his gaze fall on herself once more, no longer looking through a glass wine but at her in all her white chainmail and elven nature; his smiled disappeared, ?why not?? He asked.

Her mind fumbled for an answer, but her inner voice grew desperate as she felt his gaze probing her doubts, her fear at what he was asked, her anxiety to ask what she truly wanted, but instead, ?Oh come on, Lord Merchantius. It?s too disgusting.?

She huffed, ?please, no. He knows nothing. He?s seen nothing. Go get one of those brutish friends of yours to do it. I have a reputation to uphold. Why do you want to do this? Is it for revenge??

Althon Merchantius felt himself laugh inside, ?If it was just simple revenge, I would ask someone else to help me. What I have planned requires sheer genius.?

The elf attempted to speak again, but he held his hand firmly in the hand stopping her, ?even more treacherous and dangerous, than he is charming and fascinating. He has never taken a single step, or spoken a single word, without some dishonorable, or criminal intention.?

The blonde elf listened keener than before now, her goddess disapproved of such actions, but without openly smiling, Althon continued, emotion building in the form of anger, ?he uses magic to control one love, something a priestess of Sune should be vigilant about. Isn?t it??

The elf priestess felt her crystal like eyes burn with fury, and how could she doubt such heresy being beyond the means of a mage like Aesdale?

?Worry not then, my lord...?

The priestess lightly pulled Althon?s clenched plated fist into her own lightly tanned hand, he looked back into her face, his face flustered in rage from his words. ?I will seek him out and... Do as you ask.?

Slowly, Althon, mournfully smiled, ?I know I can trust you, Priestess Blush.?

Blush smiled in return, and turned away leaving Althon in the dark.

~***~

The walls of the hull creaked ominously and the chains rattled their usual chorus. His captor was late, an elf dressed in bright purple, green and blue robes dangled with his head in submission pondering his fate over and over... ?is this the game of the sane? Or madmen?? His mind asked constantly, and same always, was his answer... no answer.

Suddenly a loud crash was heard, his sharply lifted his head, a blurred light illuminated from the staircase of the above level. And several footsteps marched unevenly down the creaking wood.

Into his view in the dark room of little light save a distant torch, four figures, 3 elven and one as tall as a human yet slightly elven in appearance, his elven sight revealed unfamiliar faces from the dark, barely seen yet he cared naught.

?I implore you to release me from these shackles. I am from House Essen of Waterdeep. I can assist you by providing information in exchange for my release.? He kept his voice steady and formal, like his father had taught him so.

A small slender elf woman figure cocked her head sideways, as if to decipher his true nature, or to observe the shackles in which he was bound.

Another shadow of the same build, except male in characteristics spoke as firmly yet calmly, ?who are you? And how did you end up here in chains, kinsman??

?I am Aesdale Essen, my family is responsible for trade within the city of Waterdeep. Recently many merchants have complained to House Essen that their customers have stopped dealing with them. I was sent with a group made up of other noble families to find what has happened and if the situation was a simple matter such as the cost of the goods, I was to help renegotiate on behalf of the merchants new terms and conditions.?

Immediately a longhaired figure spoke, his voice extremely familiar to young Aesdale?s ears, ?Lord Essen? Is that really you? The raven has brought me to you! But what has happened??

?Paraway! It?s a long story... I really do not know much about my captors. On each occasion when food has been brought, a rather large brute with a hook instead of a left hand has come. He taunts me, but has not tortured me, yet, and he has been the only person I have encountered.?

?The hook-man, yes we encountered him alright,? Feralin snickered much to his sister?s annoyance, she huffed his reaction to the matter in much the same manner.

?The Raven smiles on us, and the Wolf totem is returned to you at last friend, may it guard you well. Feralin, let?s free him now.?

?Of course Paraway. Sis? If you?d be so kind?? He dropped a curtsey, only to be shouldered as the thief passed, ?I?ll take that as a yes.?

?Heh, doesn?t pay to joke of near death experiences mate.? Dirbert whispered to Feralin as they both smiled while the young thief worked the cuffs free.

?My thanks strangers, and to you as well Paraway.?

The waves sounded stronger against the hull of the ship, yet the wood and metal merely echoed strength against the tide.

?We should get going, and take that crate of weapons... and whatever this note means, back to the Captain of Saltmarsh. Paraway, what will you do??

?I have found Lord Essen, but his safety is but one part of my charge, I must continue hunting the amber-eyed witch.?

?You have freed me from this place, if you?d permit me I?d like to accompany you for a time, at least until we?re back on solid ground. Of course if I accompany you, I will need you to promise me you?ll aid me in the future, to find out why I was captured.?

?Whoa slow down there bucko, Fera?s??
?Going to accept his offer, Amalia. By the looks of Aesdale here, he?s a mage of no small talent, and those runes on the cuffs say a lot about his imprisonment. Whoever trapped you here Lord Essen, must be after you pretty badly, and we have our own reasons for chasing whoever is behind this boat. So... we?re in agreement.?

Aesdale smiled and shaked the druid?s hand. ?C?mon guys, let?s get outta here.? No one argued with the wisdom of the half-elf archer this time.

~********~

~***~***~***~

#14 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Chapter 12:

Scale and Steel Act I

Once we were slaves to the scaled folk.
But rise we did, thrown our chains and sharpened our wills, we did.
A battle for survival, our race was joined.
Our scars of slavery, was nothing to the scars the Old Ones would bear!

Toll of the Creators ~ A human record.

~***~

Daylight had settled once more upon Saltmarsh, the dockhands looked overjoyed to see the small boat that had set out in the storm, return with all on board alive.

Stepping back onto solid ground, felt like a long forgotten experience for Aesdale, his newfound companions seemed to readjust to the situation well. But they weren?t in chains and afloat like he was.

?Saltmarsh, finally, we should report to the Captain before rest, she needs to know what has transpired since.? The druid paused looking at Aesdale, who was still distracted by the sun?s light, ?Aesdale, what will you do??

?Huh? Oh, right. I need to stock up a little on magical items, my captors sold off most of my equipment and kept what they thought was worthless in this region.?

?You may need some money then, take this gold.? Feralin handed the mage a medium sized sack, it weighed a bit, but was still enough not to draw too much attention to thieves.

?Thank you, I will return soon... Err, where exactly are you staying??
?We plan on returning to the inn near the mayor?s house once our business is done, you should know you?re at the right place if you hear a rather sexist old woman yelling like a banshee.?

Aesdale laughed. ?Right, I?ll keep that in mind.?
Paraway walked off the small pier first, ?I will accompany Lord Essen, and I trust that?s not too much trouble mellonamin??

?Not at all Paraway,? the druids smiled back to his friend, starting the walk back into town. His sister suddenly tapped him on the shoulder, ?Um, Fera, you don?t mind if I head back to the inn first do you??

?Heh, an? spoil me the sights? Cruel Alia.? The thief blushed at Dirbert?s remark. ?Shut up Dirbert!"

She turned to Feralin's bemused face. "Please, Feralin, be a nice brother for a change.?

?Nice brother?? Feralin scoffed. ?Ah alright, sis. Sorry Dirbert, but I can only let you ogle my sister so much before a crowd joins in.? The half elf lightly chuckled. The thief felt even more flustered than she had been in a long time.

~***~

Later in the day...

?So what do you think Rurik?? Feralin sat lazily at the main table of the dwarf?s smithy, much to the dwarf?s dismay as he casually used the table itself as a footrest. After almost an hour of research and bickering, both weren?t too concerned about what they were doing, it was more showmanship.

The dwarf slid his rough index finger along one of the blades of Feralin?s double-edged sword, he felt slight tingles occasionally as he moved across the metal, and the hilt almost burnt his palm at the touch.

?Yer blade is mighty fine for an elven design... only I ain?t never seen its likes around these parts in nary all me years as a merchant.? He laid the blade back onto the large wooden table, a metallic thud hummed with the crackling noise of the forge.

?So what can you tell me? More over, why did both my scimitars merge together without any assistance from a skilled smith??

Rurik critically eyed the elf and blade for a moment. ?Well it ain?t anything I know about, weapons like that are rare enough in the Realms. Difficult to master. All I know is that there were once a cadre of fighters back in the times of Netheril who used to use enchanted blades in the same form as this.?

He pointed to runes. ?You see lad, these ?ere markings are from an ancient magic unknown to most people of the Realms today. But there is more, none of these markings seem to match up against any form of elvish or human arcane language.?

Feralin blinked in surprise at what the dwarf was telling him; he reached out and lightly touched one of the silvery runes imprinted on the razor like blades that were once his scimitars.

?Ancient magic... Rurik, do you know of anyone who could help uncover its origins?? The dwarf shook his head in response. ?Nay lad, your best bet would be to find whoever bonded the blade together, and placed all those enchantments on it.?

?Alright, I?ll do that then. Thanks Rurik.? The druid promptly returned his weapon to its resting place on his back, attaching the couplings holding it in place. Before he left however the dwarf yelled back to him.

?Wait Feralin!? Snapping back to attention, Feralin turned. ?What? What is it??

?There?s something about that blade I should tell ya. You said it fed you strength from the wounds of your opponent; the last record of a double-blade that did that for its wielder was possessed by a spirit of a powerful Balor!?

?A balor? Are you suggesting that...??
Rurik cut the elf off in thought. ?Nay lad, I ain?t suggesting that yet. Just guard yourself well.?

The druid nodded a smile to his stout friend, ?I will Rurik, thanks again.?

With this information Feralin started walking back towards the inn, though he felt restless inside. What if his blade was possessed too? Perhaps it would be best to get rid of it soon, but he couldn?t just dump it or sell it anywhere, it needed to be kept away from a place it could cause harm.

He felt a slight burning feeling in his left hand as he pondered this... first the taint manifesting, now a demonic blade. What next he wondered.

~***~

The cries of seagulls was lost on the crouching dark knight, the cold walls of stone reflected the Blackguard?s personality almost perfectly, only lacking the will he possessed, he meditated quietly on his knees, basking in the small sunlight of the only window of his otherwise lightless room.

With sudden movement he lifted his heavily plated body upwards, behind him two smaller figures, a woman and a man in black and red attire, their scarlet cloaks and near perfect blackened leather armor resembled each other in unison, only the woman?s vest proved a more revealing subject ? their faces were concealed by black visors and their stares cold and vain to the core.

Beneath the metal mask the dark knight smiled at his new visitors. ?You?re late.?

?The master demands an update, Galius.? The cowled man said coldly, disregarding the knight?s humor.

?Eanwulf and his council are growing more cautious now, the elf witch however remains as ever bloodthirsty, filled with an undying lust for her art and eventual vengeance. As for the old fool, he may be the weak link, and if not he, then his subordinate.?

?The attack was a failure, Galius,? the woman hissed, ?unforeseen consequences are beginning to unfold, and even now the twins are taking the first steps onto the trail of this pathetic alliance. They are a threat if they find out too soon.?

The dark knight slowly nodded his head, not everything was going to plan... too little in fact.

?Then we must accelerate our plans, send for the Hunter.?

The hooded humans nodded their heads, large runes on the floor suddenly glowed a furious red and a blue light seized the two rogues, pulling them under, taking them to parts unknown.

The first spring of conflict was drawing ever closer... it was now thick in the air; Galius returned to his meditation in silence gleefully smiling.

~***~

The captain felt the urging need to rub her temples an ever more tempting action as the pain of dealing with the nobles and merchants left nothing but a migraine for her to fester on.

Petty differences, which she forced Feralin and some of his comrades to listen into, were it not for her discipline from the old days of the Order, she?d feel like gagging half of the nobles just to spare the rest of the room the misery of their ranting.

The blonde elf druid quietly sat in the conference room long after the nobles filtered past the olive painted doors. Next to him, his twin Amalia, the tall half-elf Dirbert, the human ranger in pigtails Aleigha, and a noble-born looking rogue by the name of Candella.

A motley lot with good hearts, the captain silently thought while waiting Feralin?s answer to her proposal.

After what seemed like an eternity, the druid lifted his head from its stupor. ?We will do as you ask captain.? They both smiled at each other while most of the others did naught but frown.

The plan was a long shot on the information known, and bound to be highly risky. To proceed into the lion?s den... or in this case, the lizardmen?s den, to parlay with their leader and get some answers to what the dead smugglers were up to in Saltmarsh.

?Ah, finally some real adventure!? Candella added excitedly, attracting the odd smirk among other sitting members.

?Well we still have to check out what this Lord Balthis wants first, Candella.? The druid reminded the thief without looking at her, and paid no heed to the following quip or to what the Captain said. His mind, was still too focused elsewhere ? Amalia looked worriedly at her brother?s grim face, he seemed much older ever since Oakhurst was burned.

She wondered why, but found no answers, only silence.

~***~

The numerous fires dimly lighted the caves; it almost seemed intentional, given the creatures that now took up residence in the old abode. Lizard-like humanoids some standing eight feet or taller moved around menacingly to their new guest, but he did not care.

His mistress did not fight off death for him once, only to die at the hands of pathetic lizard creatures or their allies. What did concern the blonde human though, was their inability to work around tradition in order to survive, as their own god demanded of his followers.

But still, the creatures did not trust an outsider, were it not for the reluctant help of those sea elves, yes, they would?ve simply killed him outright like their clan shaman wanted. Or at the very least exiled him, preferably blind, so he wouldn?t have to gaze upon one of their weakling kind again.

Suddenly a shot of pain reminded the sitting man of how he came to be here after his narrow escape from those interlopers, perhaps Shar was not as forgiving as he dared to think.

Utter fool, is what his father would say before beating nine inches of life out of him to appease the Nightsinger.

Nevertheless, Catharandamus smiled sadistically at them, because he knew in the end. Even amongst this rabble, he was not yet dead, and therefore, still on the winning side ? it was only a matter of time.

~********~

~***~***~***~