• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

Hi all,

I've been working on a Multi-Mod BGT install with a few caveats:

- It lies within the original story line; hence why this isn't a mega-install. That and the compatibility issues.
- It follows PnP rules as close as possible via mods.
- It offers the most tactically challenging game.
- It follows the themes set by Forgotten Realms (in part so that the tactical challenges aren't just mages with uber spells that don't fit into the FR theme).
- It's bugless AFAICT.

As for additional NPC's: I haven't put much thought into this subject really, since I prefer the built in NPC and their story lines. I'm sure when I have gone through the game a few times and have had a chance to try every NPC I will probably decide to add more. Hopefully by that time much of the incompatibilities that populate Mega-Multi-Mod installs will have been fixed.

So far I've come up with a fairly stable (umm... it runs :blink:) install that fit these requirements. However, I'd like feedback on any mods I should exclude or include so that it better meets these criteria. I have attached my WeiDU log and installation notes for reference. I will also be posting any bugs I come upon like erebusant's thread also.

*Update*
New install

- I just added a bunch of item packs and quest packs for enjoyment.
- List of bugs encountered during install in Notes
- Current WeiDU log attached

Met up with a few bugs during the install but at least it's working now :cheers:. Most of the Item packs should be fairly compatible since they don't overwrite anything (hopefully) and the questpack components I've (again hopefully) installed so that the same encounter isn't modified twice by two different mods.
I took a leaf out of erebusant's book for this install so a lot of the credit goes to him too, thanks rebs (I'm lazy right now, it took me 5 hours-ish to do this install while doing research about the mods as I went :wacko: ).

Feedback wanted!

oops forgot that Choose NPC proficiencies makes L1NPC's not able to change affected chars (minsc, jaheira, imoen, everyone in BG1 etc...)
Updated in Notes. Gah... I forgot to install The Vault also and confused it with Exnem's Vault. Ideally I'd have installed it with all the item packs together; after Thalantyr or Rolles Mod since it affects BG1. According to this forum v5 still overwrites stuff so it'd be a bad idea to install it after everything.
Updates here for The Vault: http://www.shsforums...showtopic=25646

I'm also attaching a list of bugs encountered during the install and which mods they are associated with, in efforts of helping those who want to fix them. It's not really that bad at all considering the amount of mods installed (almost 80). In the mean time I'll be trying to learn programming to I can eventually help also.

Thanks for your time,
Manwe858

Edited by manwe858, 20 December 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#2 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

Bugs Found Thus Far:

Viconia still leaves during PID for some reason as per this post I have at G3 - http://forums.gibber...s...st&p=107752
Temporary work around by using NI to set response 269 of state 190 to end dialogue only and not have an action id or trigger.

Albert and Rufie quest doesn't delete after completion if Rufie is led back to Albert (can be easily corrected by deleting the text in game by double clicking the quest entry).

Odd glitch, I think it's just a missed trigger, where the fine short sword I was using didn't break when the message was displayed on screen; if it happens again it may be a problem with the install.

#3 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

Albert and Rufie quest doesn't delete after completion if Rufie is led back to Albert (can be easily corrected by deleting the text in game by double clicking the quest entry).

Probably a BG1UB problem.

Odd glitch, I think it's just a missed trigger, where the fine short sword I was using didn't break when the message was displayed on screen; if it happens again it may be a problem with the install.

Might be a SCS problem, but check if you got a broken weapon anyway. One thing that occurs is that if you have two of the same item in your inventory, the unequipped one gets broken first.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#4 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:42 PM

Probably a BG1UB problem.

I can confirm this bug which I think I had already reported before. :cheers:

#5 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:26 AM

Might be a SCS problem, but check if you got a broken weapon anyway. One thing that occurs is that if you have two of the same item in your inventory, the unequipped one gets broken first.

Bug happened again where in my console it says "Charname - My Weapon has shattered!" and there's no broken weapon or loss of weapon in the inventory. I'll post this on the SCS forum at G3. Not really sure where to begin to troubleshoot this. Any tips?

I've noticed this has only affected the fine short swords, but this could be attributed to the fact that I haven't used any other fine weapons yet. Normal weapons break as they should.

*Further Edit*
I made Dynaheir a Sorcerer using L1NPC's, upon level up to level 4 when she gains level 2 spells, there is a spell to the right of horror that uses the sam BAM as luck, however it's description is as such:

Pick Pocket: (description about pick pocket ability)
When cast (it can be cast like a normal spell and shows up in the Wizard Spells book) it raises the target's pick pocket ability by 5 points and also displays the message: <charname>- Casts Imoen's lock picking ability has improved thanks to Safana's ingenious tip. :<charname>

Manwe858

Edited by manwe858, 17 December 2007 - 09:13 AM.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:24 AM

I made Dynaheir a Sorcerer using L1NPC's, upon level up to level 4 when she gains level 2 spells, there is a spell to the right of horror that uses the sam BAM as luck

You reported this already in the L1NPCs forum, right?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

I made Dynaheir a Sorcerer using L1NPC's, upon level up to level 4 when she gains level 2 spells, there is a spell to the right of horror that uses the sam BAM as luck

You reported this already in the L1NPCs forum, right?

Nope, I'm not sure if this is a L1NPC problem though. Should I?

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:37 AM

Eh... I don't know what's causing it, it just sounds familiar. That description toward the end is from BG1NPC though. Not that that's causing the problem either...

Can you actually pick the spell? If so and you can export your character and upload it here, maybe we can figure out the spell reference. Edit: the easiest way to do this is just create a new sorcerer character, once in game, Ctrl+Space and CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP("15000"), pick that spell and export your character.

Re: the SCS thing, I'm sure DavidW will figure that out - probably an easy fix.

Edited by Miloch, 17 December 2007 - 09:41 AM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

Eh... I don't know what's causing it, it just sounds familiar. That description toward the end is from BG1NPC though. Not that that's causing the problem either...

Can you actually pick the spell? If so and you can export your character and upload it here, maybe we can figure out the spell reference. Edit: the easiest way to do this is just create a new sorcerer character, once in game, Ctrl+Space and CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP("15000"), pick that spell and export your character.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but it seems like I'm not allowed to upload the file. I get this message: Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file.

I've uploaded it on rapidshare so here you go: http://rapidshare.co...ORCBUG.CHR.html

Re: the SCS thing, I'm sure DavidW will figure that out - probably an easy fix.

Sweet. :cheers:

Thanks,
Manwe858

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

Most bizarre. This is actually a bug in BG1 NPC and it's been around for ages (since Phase 1) - surprised no one else has noticed it. Or maybe they have, and they just haven't tracked down the source.

SPWI250.spl should definitely *not* be coded as a standard wizard spell.

A fix would involve 3 files. In BG1NPC\phase1\itm\ folder, rename spwi250.spl to something unique of 7 characters, like x#imsaf.spl. Since you've already installed BG1NPC, you can change this in your override folder too.

Around line 1008 in bg1npc.tp2, change the spell reference so it looks like this:
/* Imoen - Lockpick */
COPY ~BG1NPC/phase1/itm/x#imsaf.spl~ ~override~
  SAY 8 @15
In x#safana.d around line 308, change this:
DO ~ActionOverride("%IMOEN_DV%",ReallyForceSpellRES("SPWI250",Myself))~
To this:
DO ~ActionOverride("%IMOEN_DV%",ReallyForceSpellRES("X#IMSAF",Myself))~
If you're using BP_s_and_h_Patch (which I believe is not recommended) you'll have to do the same fix there (for some odd reason, it's in there too, though I'm not sure what BP would be doing with that spell...).

#11 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

Thank you, Miloch :D

I think that one sailed straight through the cracks, though I know someone reported this ages ago; I will put your Imoen lockpick changes in place in the development version immediately.

anyone want to create a custom .bam for a lockpick ability boost?

Edited by cmorgan, 17 December 2007 - 01:49 PM.

#12 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:06 PM

Awesome, you da orc Miloch :cheers:. And thanks to you too cmorgan for incorporating the stuff. As an update: the install hasn't hit any others bugs AFAICT. :cheers: Oh and a question: are the chapters in BGT numbered differently? SCS says that the assassins appear in chapter 3; I've been in chapter three for ages and have achieved level 4 for my Fighter/Mage/Thief.

-Manwe858

#13 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

Tutu labels Prologue, Chapter1, etc.; BGT lablesPrologue as Chapter 1 so that everything can work with Journals and stuff -

basically, if it says "Chapter #" on something written for Tutu/BG original, it is "Chapter #+1" on BGT :)

#14 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

Tutu labels Prologue, Chapter1, etc.; BGT lablesPrologue as Chapter 1 so that everything can work with Journals and stuff -

basically, if it says "Chapter #" on something written for Tutu/BG original, it is "Chapter #+1" on BGT :)

That makes everything make sense ^_^ .

#15 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

I don't think it's a BGT bug, but I'm not sure where else to post it. In vanilla this also happens: The Friends spell does to charisma contrary to what the description says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friends (Enchantment/Charm)

Level: 1
Range: 0
Duration: 1d4 rounds + 1 round/level
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw Special

A friends spell causes the wizard to temporarily gain 6 points of Charisma. Those who view the caster tend to be very impressed with the spellcaster and make an effort to be his friends (typo) and help him, as appropriate to the situation. Officious bureaucrats might decide to become helpful; surly gate guards might wax informative; attacking orcs might spare the caster's life, taking him captive instead.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked store prices with and without friends; they were the same. Are there ramifications to this spell that I'm not aware of?

Also the BG2 manual states that the CHA gain is actually 2d4 instead of 6 in game.

Thanks,
manwe858

Edited by manwe858, 17 December 2007 - 08:00 PM.

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

Also the BG2 manual states that the CHA gain is actually 2d4 instead of 6 in game.

Probably a typo in the manual, I would guess from the designers simply copying PnP descriptions of spells. The engine doesn't let you do a variable modification in this particular case, at least not without a lot of hackery.

I'm not sure how Charisma influences store prices, if it does... they're mainly influenced by Reputation I think. Not positive on that though. If they're influenced by Charisma, it might involve grave differences. Like if your CHA was 12 and you boosted it to 18 there might not be a difference, but if it was 3 you might. Some NPCs though, even in the default game, are coded to respond only to certain levels of Charisma. In all cases, I think the game only takes your party leader's Charisma into account, so if you cast it on someone else (even if they're doing the "talking"), it might not make a difference.

#17 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

The engine doesn't let you do a variable modification in this particular case, at least not without a lot of hackery.

Bummer :(

I'm not sure how Charisma influences store prices, if it does... they're mainly influenced by Reputation I think. Not positive on that though.

It is mainly influenced by Reputation; however, each point of charisma does decrease prices noticeably. For example a platemail will cost 400 gold at 20 rep and 19 charisma, but only 360 gold at 21 charisma; about 20 gold per point, but I'm not sure if it works in a such a linear fashion or if it's based off of a percentage discount.

Some NPCs though, even in the default game, are coded to respond only to certain levels of Charisma.

Very true, but anything above say 16 CHA should be fine in most cases.

In all cases, I think the game only takes your party leader's Charisma into account, so if you cast it on someone else (even if they're doing the "talking"), it might not make a difference.

Also true, but friends can only target the caster anyway.

Well, it's not really that big of an issue anyway. I just wanted some massively low prices and have a charisma of 27 :P . There's no way to change the effect of the spell so that it modifies an ability like a potion does? Oh well, maybe I'll try to NI something into the game, haha. If you haven't notice I really worship NI's user friendliness :D . I'm afraid if I get too much into coding it'll consume my life and I won't have the will to do work once school's back in session :(. I probably should at least learn how to read it though...

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

It is mainly influenced by Reputation; however, each point of charisma does decrease prices noticeably. For example a platemail will cost 400 gold at 20 rep and 19 charisma, but only 360 gold at 21 charisma; about 20 gold per point, but I'm not sure if it works in a such a linear fashion or if it's based off of a percentage discount.

It might also be the engine responds only to *base* charisma, and not modified charisma. Just speculation, but that's true of other stats. The only way to change base charisma is to do so with a Permanent or Delayed effect (as the Tome of Leadership does).

Also true, but friends can only target the caster anyway.

Yes, but if Dynaheir casts it on herself and the PC is the leader, it might not affect much.

#19 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

It might also be the engine responds only to *base* charisma, and not modified charisma. Just speculation, but that's true of other stats. The only way to change base charisma is to do so with a Permanent or
Delayed effect (as the Tome of Leadership does).

You're probably right about the other stats here since you have a very extensive knowledge of how the IE works. The way Charisma behaves leads me to think it doesn't follow that rule; if what you said is true then using Algernon's cloak or a nymph cloak wouldn't affect store prices, yet that is exactly how I tested to see if Charisma does have an effect on store prices. Removing the cloak yielded a rise in store prices, whereas wearing the cloak lowered them. Hmm I think I will research this a little more; maybe I'll see if I can change a potion to give +Cha and observe the effects.

Yes, but if Dynaheir casts it on herself and the PC is the leader, it might not affect much.

Agreed.

#20 manwe858

manwe858
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:03 AM

I noticed something else upon entering Gullykin, this is really minor though. This applies to Farthendell, one of the halflings in AR9908 (basement of 2nd to last house on the right). She greets me for the first time as if she has already met me, saying: Again we meet. I do so enjoy our little chats. Just wondering if some dialogue should have preceded it. Do all Halflings share dialogues?