• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#201 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

Fixed issue.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 02 December 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#202 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

Greetings!

I would like to address the 'cranium rat bug'. This bug typically occurs under the following conditions:
- Player has a clean install of Planescape: Torment with or without mods and/or patches
- * In my case, I have a full install as per instructions here and here
- Player has an up-to-date system (as of 2008) with an Nvidia 8 series graphics card
- Player has entered the weeping stone catacombs
- Player encounters a cranium rat
- - The rat is invisible. Only a red ring indicates its position. No apparent texture files appears.
> The crash occurs in a few different ways
> - Player attacks the cranium rat
> - Cranium rat casts a spell (usually ball lightning)
> - - Spell may or may not cast successfully
> - Game freezes for a moment before crash dialog is displayed.
> - The following error message sometimes occurs
An Assertion failed In F:\Torment\source\chitin\ChVidPal.cpp at line number 1124

This one is fairly specific. It's only 1 creature in 1 place that's causing the problem. Emptying the cache and temp folders didn't work unfortunatley. As regards an gameplay solution, I suppose I could try training as a thief <_<

My WeiDU log is here
// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod: Widescreen Mod v2.2
~SETUP-GHOSTDOG'S-PST-UI.TP2~ #0 #1 // GhostDog's Planescape: Torment UI -> PST UI with 30% bigger fonts (Only for the English Version): v1.21
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Banter Accelerator?  If so, Choose interval between banters. -> Interparty Banter Every 6 game hours (30 minutes) <Recommended>: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Maximized HP Per Level for TNO and Party: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #6 // Maximized Friends Spell: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Stackable Rings, Charms, Bracelets, Scrolls: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Scale of Souls: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #10 // Save Nordom! Tweak: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #12 // Power Action Leprechaun Annah, by Black Isle: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #13 // Easter Egg Morte, by Black Isle: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #14 // Explore City Areas: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #18 // No Battle Music: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // All Recommended PS:T Unfinished Business Components: v3.01
~SETUP-PST-UB.TP2~ #0 #50 // Expanded Deionarra's Truth Mod: v3.01
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // PS:T Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack, by Qwinn: v3.02
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Dialogue Spelling/Grammar Corrections (English Only): v3.02
~NVIDIA_FIX/NVIDIA_FIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Fix NVidia graphical glitches

Thanks for all who read this. If the mods deem this post worthy of it's own topic, we'll have this bug fixed for good :)

#203 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:07 PM

- Player encounters a cranium rat
- - The rat is invisible. Only a red ring indicates its position. No apparent texture files appears.

That would say that you might have a corrupted creature animation, and would you change it with an IE editor, you might just fix the problem.

~SETUP-GHOSTDOG'S-PST-UI.TP2~ #0 #1 // GhostDog's Planescape: Torment UI -> PST UI with 30% bigger fonts (Only for the English Version): v1.21
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Banter Accelerator? If so, Choose interval between banters. -> Interparty Banter Every 6 game hours (30 minutes) <Recommended>: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Stackable Rings, Charms, Bracelets, Scrolls: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #12 // Power Action Leprechaun Annah, by Black Isle: v3.51
~SETUP-PST-UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // All Recommended PS:T Unfinished Business Components: v3.01
~SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Dialogue Spelling/Grammar Corrections (English Only): v3.02

:rolleyes:
Wouldn't this order be better?

~SETUP-PST-TWEAK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Banter Accelerator? If so, Choose interval between banters. -> Interparty Banter Every 6 game hours (30 minutes) <Recommended>: v3.51

At least according to this... and my own knowledge to install the Widescreen mod quite near the end.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 19 November 2009 - 03:47 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#204 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:21 AM

A big THANK YOU to the bigg for the widescreen mod.

I'm running Vista Ultimate & an 8800 GTS 512 with the Sep 2009 drivers. All the Nvidia control panel settings are left at the default. 1680 * 1050 monitor. 3.16Ghz Intel dual-core. BG Tutu & de-greenifier. Running from a custom directory (c:/games/...).

Widescreen mod installs & runs first time in native resolution. No black boxes, no graphics arftifacts, no off-hand weapon crashes. Faultless after about 8 hours of play.

Only set-up tweak was, as instructed, to disable vertex padding. So the 3-d acceleration power of the card is being used and the whole thing looks great.

#205 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

That would say that you might have a corrupted creature animation, and would you change it with an IE editor, you might just fix the problem.

You're probably right. How do I fix this? I have the IE editor, and the bug typically occurs in area number 1400. Thanks for the linky! I think I'll have to start over now that I know about all the mods.

#206 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

You're probably right. How do I fix this? I have the IE editor, and the bug typically occurs in area number 1400.

It's more probable that it's actually in ar1404(you can get the exact area number by pushing X in the game screen)

If the area is indeed ar1404, then the only three Cranium Rat's in the area are RAT.CRE, so if you open that creature with NearInfinity, you can change it's 'Animation ID' from 'Cranuim Rat - 57352' to something else.

#207 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

You're probably right. How do I fix this? I have the IE editor, and the bug typically occurs in area number 1400.

It's more probable that it's actually in ar1404(you can get the exact area number by pushing X in the game screen)

If the area is indeed ar1404, then the only three Cranium Rat's in the area are RAT.CRE, so if you open that creature with NearInfinity, you can change it's 'Animation ID' from 'Cranuim Rat - 57352' to something else.

Anything specific? I think you could write a short guide and solve this problem for good :rolleyes: Well done tracking down the area number :cheers:

If we presume Player has Infinity Explorer shortcutted on the desktop (or at least knows how to get it open), what would the required steps be?

#208 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:53 PM

If we presume Player has Infinity Explorer shortcutted on the desktop (or at least knows how to get it open), what would the required steps be?

Well, if you actually would get an IE(Infinity Engine) editor, not just a browser tool, you might have more success. :D

So you just download the .jar file from this post, and then load the game with: Game -> Open Game... -> Go find the Torment folder, and open the CHITIN.KEY file, and when it has loaded, open the CRE file folder, push S, and on top you'll find RAT.CRE, double click it, push View->Edit, and you'll see the 'Animation ID' as 'Cranuim Rat - 57352', change it to something else, push Update Value, the push Save, and then you can quit the Near Infinity.

You can try these too.
Attached File  CraniumratBAMs.zip   128.88K   263 downloads

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 05 February 2011 - 04:53 AM.

#209 Shtanto

Shtanto
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

Well, if you actually would get an IE(Infinity Engine) editor, not just a browser tool, you might have more success. :D

Push View->Edit, and you'll see the 'Animation ID' as 'Cranuim Rat - 57352', change it to something else, push Update Value, the push Save, and then you can quit the Near Infinity.

Coolios! You say change it to something else. Could I change it to say pudding or does it have to be a random number of my choosing? :whistling:

#210 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:29 AM

Coolios! You say change it to something else. Could I change it to say pudding or does it have to be a random number of my choosing? :whistling:

Well, as long as it's not 'Cranuim Rat - 57352' and a one the game has an animation assigned to, it shouldn't matter... IT'S YOUR CHOICE :devil: .

Edit: Now it was later reported that some of the game versions have the animation .bam's corrupted and that's why there's only the red circle and no kind of animations on top of it... meaning that if you just replace the .bam's with any another animation, the game won't crash and the creature is displayed.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 05 February 2011 - 03:25 AM.

#211 -bestman-

-bestman-

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:34 AM

Here is a list of the issues you'll encounter when playing any of the IE games with a NVidia 8 series card, and their resolution. It is possible that similar issues might arise even with other NVidia cards (apparently, 58xx and higher), but I haven't any experience with them, so I can't guarantee that they'll help
For all these games, I use the most powerful settings in the "Hardware" sliders (if you have a NVidia 8 series card, you likely have a 300 Mhz CPU ;)

BG2 and HoW (TotLM) are fixable directly from their config program:
BG2(SoA+ToB, including Tutu, Classic Adventures, and Big Mods): there are various graphical issues (black boxes and/or randomly-colored lines across the screen), which are solved with the following tweaks in BGConfig: Hardware -> Enable 3D Acceleration. Display -> 32 bit. 2d & 3d options: enable 3D Animations, 3D Acceleration and 32 bit textures, disable the Disable Vertex Padding option.
IWD1+HoW(with or without TotLM): I don't know if there are issues in this game; however, Graphics -> enable all save Sprite Mirroring didn't cause glitches.

For fixing BG1, IWD1 (without HoW), IWD2 and PST you can install this fixer utility (programmed by Eddy, WeiDUed by me):
If you use this fixer utility, don't forget to remove the application profile in the Compatibility Manager (if you're using it, remove the profile like this: start -> programs -> Microsoft Application Compatility Toolkit -> Compatibility Administrator -> Installed Database -> right click and remove on the item you created) or stop using the .vbs launcher.

Additionally, if you set up a profile for all applications in your Forceware Control Panel, you might want to set up a rule for your IE games so that every graphical option is "Application controlled" (for example Anti Aliasing) or Disabled (Triple Buffering).

Many thanks to the people who have provided solutions (even if they were later obsoleted):
Modron (VBS launcher)
Dazzle (Compatibility Administrator)
Eddy (.dll fix)

Firstly, thank you for the detailed information.

My notebook model is "HP Pavilion dv6922et Entertainment Notebook PC" and it includes "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS" video card. As you guess I have a smilar problem about my game.

I install "Settlers IV: Gold Edition" which is quite old game. When I start the game a black box appears left screen. After I checked Google, I realized that most people have same problem and none has found a cetain solution yet.

You can see my problem below:
http://forums.ubi.co...65/m/7481052046

My question is, how can I installl the NVIDIA patch? I read the readme file but I couldn't understand. It says "place your filles to the game directory.." Which game directory?

Thank you for your interest and help.

#212 -Juzam-

-Juzam-

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:20 AM

I got "Icewind Dale II has stopped working" error on Win7 x64. When I set compatibility to XP SP3 and run as administrator I was able to run the game but I had the infamous black boxes problem. So I googled it and found this thread. I applied the nvidia fix on the first post but after that I get the error. Now I can't change any gfx options or anything because the game does not run despite whatever comp. setting I choose.

#213 all for dnd

all for dnd
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:33 PM

why nobody seems to care about ati users... :unsure: :(

#214 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

why nobody seems to care about ati users... :unsure: :(

Cause the current regimen work perfectly with ATI cards, or at least it works with my ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 4890 -card; and in case you are wondering, I switched from a NVidia 8500 card to this, and didn't need to reconfigure the game, so.
Well, yes the Fog of War flickers in IWDII with high graphs, but that's unavoidable I think.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 24 October 2009 - 02:08 AM.

#215 -JB-

-JB-

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

Since Vista, I've been seeing graphic anomalies with the unexplored areas. Basically, jagged shadows:
Posted Image

I've applied the nvidia patch here and this worked for me to resolve the black box issue but the above issue persists.
Does this widescreen mod I'm reading about address this?

#216 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

I've applied the nvidia patch here and this worked for me to resolve the black box issue but the above issue persists.

You need to use... Graphics -> enable all save Sprite Mirroring.

#217 -JB-

-JB-

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:50 AM

You need to use... Graphics -> enable all save Sprite Mirroring.

Thank you.
Color depth is 32 but, only software mirror BLT is enabled but the problem persists. enabling this in 16 but color mode works but then spell effects slow down the frame rate.

#218 althearim

althearim
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

I got "Icewind Dale II has stopped working" error on Win7 x64. When I set compatibility to XP SP3 and run as administrator I was able to run the game but I had the infamous black boxes problem. So I googled it and found this thread. I applied the nvidia fix on the first post but after that I get the error. Now I can't change any gfx options or anything because the game does not run despite whatever comp. setting I choose.

Hi! I am also having the exact same prob. Spent all day searching at google for for possible remedies yet until now I still had not fixed it...

Regards,
althearim
Prêt travaux

#219 misfit815

misfit815
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

Adding my situation to the list...

System: Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M4400
Adapter: NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M
Driver Version: 6.14.11.7950

Symptoms: I was seeing some of the black-boxing of fog of war, and some poor performance. Increased the Frame Rate to 40 and performance recovered. At one point, though (right after the otyugh in the first level of Irenicus' dungeon), I kept getting a cpp error (no, I don't remember which one). At that point, I suspected that my installation was corrupt, so I uninstalled it and then deleted the folder under Program Files. I reinstalled SoA and ToB and reapplied the ToB patch.

Now, once past the initial menu (once it kicks into bgmain.exe, I *think*) the screen goes black. Only Suspend or Power Off recovers.

I've tried several variations of 3D settings in BGConfig, but haven't hit on something that works yet. Of course, given that I have to Suspend or Power Off the system after every attempt, I've not been scientifically trying every possible combination. I don't exactly have the time.

Anyway, now that I've found this forum, I'm going to be making a few more tries (including turning off some settings in the NVIDIA control panel for baldur.exe and bgmain.exe). In the meantime, though, does anyone else have any experience with this particular NVIDIA card?

J

#220 but-k

but-k
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

So I thought I had done a pretty good job of following the directions in the tutorials and everything but when I try to load up the games with a boot disc it goes right back to the DC menu screen.  There are files on the disc because I can go to the CD player and see about 40 tracks there.  Anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong?