• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#81 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:14 AM

When I say 'works for me', I mean 'I moved around the mortuary for 30 seconds and dropped an item without visible issues' (well, I played 5 hours of BG1 with the Compat Toolkit and ~40 with disabled Direct Draw, but I tested PST for all of 5 seconds). Compat Toolkit, lowered acceleration, the vbs script and disabling Direct Draw all achieve the same thing under the hood, so if one works all others will, and viceversa.

If you can provide me a save with a copy of Call Lightning I can do more in-depth tests (NB: save in an outdoors area, given how WSM is fussy with resolutions).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#82 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

Did I miss a step anywhere?

No, I'm the same. PST, 6600GT, XP SP2, SNAFU. :rolleyes: Using the Compat Toolkit achieves the same results as lowering acceleration which achieves the same results as disabling Direct Draw. Game runs plenty fast (quicksave in 0.2 seconds!), but mouse leaves artifacts. (Using older 6600GT and drivers, the only issue I get is lag at 1280x800)

Perhaps we need someone like Timeslip (of Fallout/Thief/Morrowind fame) to make a DirectX 9 wrapper DLL or some such? Anyone here know anything about that? In particular his "sfall" mod for Fallout 1/2 replaced Direct Draw rendering with some Direct 3D DX9 mode (no idea how)

- Just a thought anyway, might open up new possibilities for PST mods ;)

Hmph. I don't have a ForceDirectDraw blah blah in Vista... Anyone got any tips? :(

#83 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:46 PM

When I say 'works for me', I mean 'I moved around the mortuary for 30 seconds and dropped an item without visible issues' (well, I played 5 hours of BG1 with the Compat Toolkit and ~40 with disabled Direct Draw, but I tested PST for all of 5 seconds). Compat Toolkit, lowered acceleration, the vbs script and disabling Direct Draw all achieve the same thing under the hood, so if one works all others will, and viceversa.

If you can provide me a save with a copy of Call Lightning I can do more in-depth tests (NB: save in an outdoors area, given how WSM is fussy with resolutions).

Here's a screenshot of the problem I'm having...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm running 8800 on Vista. I have Ghostdog's mod applied, just having some issues with the areas I can't see... The Compatibility Administrator doesn't give the option mentioned under Vista :(

Attached Images

• planescape.jpg

#84 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

Lern2reed. The guy suggesting this works with Vista and can find that option just fine.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#85 ThunderPeel2001

ThunderPeel2001
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

Woohoo! I missed a step by accident... it now looks like it works perfectly (aside from some weird mouse glitches, but I think I can live with them).

What a brilliant bunch of mods... I can't wait to get stuck in. Thanks a lot!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001, 15 January 2009 - 07:05 AM.

#86 -AotrsCommander-

-AotrsCommander-

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

I've just tried - briefly - dazzle's fix on PST on my machine (XP SP 3, Geforce 8600GTS) and it seems to work. No black backgrounds, no clock flickering and no mouse trails. Not got as far as to get spells yet, so I can't test that.

The mouse is very heavy in the inventory screen - it seems to lag a bit whenever you hold over a button (probably something do to with the pop-up text is my entirely uneducated guess). This, however, is not really a big problem, since the inventory is paused. I note it simply as an observation. (It's been a good few years, but I have vague recollections PST always was a bit heavy on the inventry screen occasionally anyway.)

I have the widescreen mod installed - I think - (or at least did have it installed, I'm not sure now whether I kept in installed, since it didn't completely fix the problem). Maybe that might make some difference for those of you have haven't had any luck?

Anyway, mainly I post to report that the signs are at least promising. I'll try and remember to post back when I've actually played PST for a few hours.

the bigg, I do have - somewhere - some very old save files from my initial playthroughs of Torment. I can dig them out for you and try and find one with Fall-from-Grace (she'll definately have loaded, since I loves me my damage spells...) if that is of any use.

#87 Elsok

Elsok
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Here is a list of the issues you'll encounter when playing any of the IE games with a NVidia 8 series card, and their resolution. It is possible that similar issues might arise even with other NVidia cards (apparently, 58xx and higher), but I haven't any experience with them, so I can't guarantee that they'll help
NB: I don't cover the non-expanded games because they likely act as the expanded game (except plain IWD1, which should act like BG1 rather than TotLM) and nobody plays non-expanded games anyway. For all these games, I use the most powerful settings in the "Hardware" sliders (if you have a NVidia 8 series card, you likely have a 300 Mhz CPU ;)

BG2 and IWD1 are fixable directly from their config program:
BG2(SoA+ToB, including Tutu, Classic Adventures, and Big Mods): there are various graphical issues (black boxes and/or randomly-colored lines across the screen), which are solved with the following tweaks in BGConfig: Hardware -> Enable 3D Acceleration. Display -> 32 bit. 2d & 3d options: enable 3D Animations, 3D Acceleration and 32 bit textures, disable the Disable Vertex Padding option.
WD1+HoW+TotLM: I don't know if there are issues in this game; however, Graphics -> enable all save Sprite Mirroring didn't cause glitches.

Dazzle provides a method for fixing BG1, IWD2 and PST that is stabler than the previously mentioned ones:

1. Download and install the microsoft application compatiblity toolkit: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
2. Start the 'Compatibility Administrator' with administrator rights.
3. Click the 'New' Button
4. Right click the new database. Select 'Create new application fix...'
5. Name your program and vendor however you like. Browse to your game executable file. Click next (use bgmain2.exe for BG1, torment.exe for Torment, and IWD2.exe for IWD2)
6. Select 'None' for operating system modes. Don't select additional compatibility modes. Click next
7. Tick the 'ForceDirectDrawEmulation' compatibility fix.
8. Click next and finish.
9. Save your database.
10. Right click the database and select install. This will install the database.
11. Close the compatibility administrator and start baldur's gate. It should work correctly in 32bit mode without any ingame rendering fixes. You don't need to run the compatibility administrator again.

It works also in XP.
In all of BG1, IWD2 and PST, be sure to disable all Software XYZ settings in the Video Options screen.

Additionally, if you set up a profile for all applications in your Forceware Control Panel, you might want to set up a rule for your IE games so that every graphical option is "Application controlled" (for example Anti Aliasing) or Disabled (Triple Buffering).

I wonder if this Microsoft program would fix the graphical glitches I am experiencing with a game I am playing called Pool of Radience : Ruins of Myth Dranor?

#88 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

Probably..

#89 Ironmaster

Ironmaster
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

I installed BWP and a problem occurs. Image that the character uncovers when it moves, instead of moving fluently moves by big squares. Places I've discovered and then left are black again. Additionally when I look on the map all location becomes visible and there are no more black squares. When monsters die, a black square appears. Same with, for example, birds - in places of its supposedly moving wings there are black squares.

Help How Can I fix it?

I have NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

#90 Ragnar-GD

Ragnar-GD
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

Probably..

Did you notify NVIDIA of this bug? I didn't find it in their list of open issues.

#91 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Probably..

Did you notify NVIDIA of this bug? I didn't find it in their list of open issues.

No. I have better things to do than hoping that NVidia will spend time fixing an issue in a seven years old game for which workarounds exist. Also, lern2quote.

#92 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:20 AM

Nice. Dazzle's fix by using microsoft compatibilty administrator and turning the software blit options off again in the game has fixed all my icewind dale 2 issues that I was experiencing with my Nvidia8600GT.
Before that I had alle the giant black box problems, transparency issues with loot, fog of war etc.

#93 Ragnar-GD

Ragnar-GD
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

Probably..

No. :angry: I have better things to do than hoping that NVidia will spend time fixing an issue in a seven years old game for which workarounds exist. Also, lern2quote. :new_bottom:

Sorry, I'll work on that. I promise.

Nonetheless, I found advice on the NVIDIA-forums on reducing hardware-acceleration by two to three steps - I'll try that out later, I haven't installed bgX or PS:T at the moment.

#94 -Kanaric-

-Kanaric-

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

Tried this fix with IWD2 on vista, doesn't work.

After using that compatability thing i get the strange black borders and boxes around things still. If I use 16 bit, and possibly 32 bit, the game freezes to an unplayable speed after not so long as well.

I have a 9800GTS

#95 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

I tried this with PST on xp SP3 with a 8800GTX and its working. However the options screen and the introduction video screens are only 1/4 of the screen size and the rest is black.

Also the mouse leaves a trail in the options screen.

If these are the only problems I can live with them no problem, I just wanna check if this is normal or have I done something wrong?

#96 -Terry-

-Terry-

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

You sir are awesome! Thank you for fixing BG1's sprites for me with my GeForce 9800 GTX+. I hope you get a lot of good karma from this!

#97 -NW-

-NW-

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

Hi Bigg,
I'm running into a problem using your compatibility administrator fix because I can't figure out how to get admin rights. I was logged in as the PC admin when i installed the software, but I am not an admin on the CA software. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#98 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

I'm running into a problem using your compatibility administrator fix because I can't figure out how to get admin rights. I was logged in as the PC admin when i installed the software, but I am not an admin on the CA software. Any thoughts? Thanks.

So you have Vista. Disabling the User Account Control will do it...

Start->Control Panel(classic view)->User Accounts->Turn User Account Control on or off-> few clicks -> Restart the computer, and it's done.
When you have done the installation and have already played the game to test it out, you can enable the UAC again.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#99 eddy

eddy
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hi there,

I created a fix for the famous nVidia bug that allows the IE (and possibly other DirectDraw games) to be played without disabling HW acceleration.
This fix works by providing a wrapper around DirectDraw which emulates the broken functionality in software. I primarily created this for PST as it allows PST to be played without that annoying mouse trail but I've also tested it with the other IE games.

The patch is available here:
http://github.com/jl...w_fix/downloads

#100 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hi there,

I created a fix for the famous nVidia bug that allows the IE (and possibly other DirectDraw games) to be played without disabling HW acceleration.
This fix works by providing a wrapper around DirectDraw which emulates the broken functionality in software. I primarily created this for PST as it allows PST to be played without that annoying mouse trail but I've also tested it with the other IE games.

The patch is available here:
http://github.com/jl...w_fix/downloads

Very cool. I'll wait a couple of days before giving this visibility in the original post - just in case it's a virus. I hope you'll understand if I'm a bit wary of a .dll by a newly registered person ;)

PS: does the patcher just do a s/ddraw.dll/nvddf.dll/g or is there more to it? If it's just that (+ copying the dll into ./), do you mind if I re-package it as a WeiDU mod (for standardizing the installation)?
Incidentally, I greatly hope it's just that because (given the unchanged file size) this way widescreen and other exe patching mods continue working irregardless of order of installation.