Bugs and oddities

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 omeletted

omeletted
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:14 PM

<preamble>

Gokigenyou. Mm. Not quite certain where or if I should post this little list of mine. But I know I was getting a little annoyed tracking down the various issues and resolutions regarding various mods, searching and reading multiple forums and their sub-sections. Some of these probably should be posted in the mods' respective forums, but I don't feel like registering on multiple forums and posting all over the place... Some bugs I've either not experienced, didn't notice or simply can't wrap my mind around. Just take a gander at Fixpack's forum to see see some of what I mean... o.o Quick shout out to all the modders out there who might think their work are not discussed and appreciated enough, we really do love you all. Arigatou. ^_^

Anyway, here goes. Will update as necessary.
</preamble>

Arcane-divine Spell Pack v1.1
  • Two spells conflict with spitems mod, scrlb1.itm and scrlb2.itm. I opted to keep Improved Magic Missile from spitems, scrlb1.
  • Storm of Vengeance doesn't work. Delete sppr722.spl from override folder after installing.
  • Changes to wand18 - Changes made to wand18.itm will cause a conflict with SCSII. Delete it from override folder after installing.
BG2 Tweaks v6
  • Bonus merchants - Tweak from BG2 Tweaks and Freedom's Reign and Reign of Virtue mod both adds Joluv, but the latter doesn't give the option of whether or not to install it. Since they use different code to spawn him, you'll get a duplicate if you install both. Same issue with Deidre. Add code check during installation? Incidentally, Domain of Dread also adds Deidre, oddly enough, but using the same code as BG2 Tweaks so wouldn't cause a duplicate.
CoM Encounters v1.02
  • Druid Grove - The animals with Dalok's party never goes hostile. Kyland Lind's party members doesn't go hostile either.
  • Druid Grove Spirit Animals in front of cave - Not certain whether they're from CoM Encounters, but again they don't go hostile.
  • ucmgwa01, ucmgwa02, ucmgwa03, ucmgwa04 and ucmgwa05 all seems to get scrambled by SCSII. Copying the backups from SCSII's backup folder works.
Dark Ritual v1.02
  • Cloak of Balduran - Ratava asks for "full plate +1" to upgrade the cloak, but the code actually wants Plate Mail +1. To complicate things, there're two different items for each; plat05, plat14 for Full Plate Mail +1 and plat02, plat10 for Plate Mail +1. Drove me crazy for a while wondering why she wouldn't do the upgrade.
Deeper Shadows of Amn v2.2
  • Grothgar's script - Grothgar.baf, "GlobalTimerExpired("KR_DIM_DOOR_TIMER","OCALS")" should be "GlobalTimerExpired("KR_DIM_DOOR_TIMER","LOCALS")".
  • Shadebane looted from Brown Dragon has no icon. Not really a bug, just odd.
  • The smokecat figurine recreates a Golden Lion figurine instead of the original. The smokecat itself attacks anyone not in the party, which includes NPCs... Funny thing was its stats were abysmal, watched a kid happily getting mauled with no results.
Domain of Dread
  • The Dark One spoke his dialogue twice when party first met him, odd.
Eseries v1.8
  • The script sometimes goes crazy with the Staff of Magi, equipping the staff repeatedly.
Every Mod And Dog v3_260605
  • Conflict with Munchmod - Cromwell will forge Deathbringer along with Troll's Whisper.

IF	Global("ForgeItem","GLOBAL",10)	Global("ForgeStuff","GLOBAL",1)THEN
    IF	Global("CliffCromwellTroll","GLOBAL",1)THEN	RESPONSE #100		SetGlobal("CliffCromwellTroll","GLOBAL",2)		SetGlobal("ForgeItem","GLOBAL",10)
    It seems to be safe to remove "SetGlobal("ForgeItem","GLOBAL",10)" from EMaD, cromappend.baf, only code to reference to it is from Munchmod.

• Troll's Whisper - The wild magic effect from the ring is set to Instant/Permanent until death. Threw me for a loop for a moment when my character had the effect and nothing seemed to be the cause. Had to kill her to get rid of it.
  • Wolf at Temple Ruins - Was having insane lag at the Temple Ruins, Caedwyr also mentioned it at SCSII's forum, thought it was probably because of SCSII and EMAD's wolf. Was verified that SCSII isn't the issue. I narrowed it down to Refinement's Shapeshifting fix, oddly enough. Can anyone check it out?
Expanded Thief Stronghold v2.1
  • During the guard barracks assault, if the party is going inside the building for the first time, the guard captain will say the first part of his dialogue. The only option is to click end, after which he says it again. And again. Ad nauseam. In the third room a new group of guards seems to be summoned. All they do is stand there and watch while their friends get slaughtered. Still in the third room, the lower exit causes a crash to desktop.
Freedom's Reign and Reign of Virtue v4Gibberlings Three Anniversary Mod v5
  • Lady Bev doesn't give Vibrissa after receiving the java beans. Thought it was because SCSII overwrote her script, g3bev.bcs, but replacing it with the original didn't work. Had to do a "SetGlobal("G3JavaMojo","GLOBAL",2)" then talk to her to get it.
Improved asylum v0.92
  • riddles.tra, "@248 = ~A~ ~man.~" should be "@248 = ~A man.~".
Munchmod
  • Archmage's gloves needs immunity to silence.
  • The trademeet smith takes gold to forge the Spear of the Phoenix but doesn't actually have the code to create and give it.
Planar sphere mod v2.6a
  • First of all, grab update from ScuD.
  • Examinations - One of the student's creature file was named f03.cre instead of pstest03.cre, so wasn't spawned, rendering the examinations unable to be completed. Renaming the file back will fix it. Not certain whether it's safe to edit the tp2 file to name it correctly. Was it done for a reason?
  • Mel's final cut scene, was it meant to be black?
  • Pain's Shard - Have to be careful using this, because of the Imprisonment effect. It seems to interfere with scripts that check for creatures' death, for example the first level of Watcher's Keep. The portal would only open if all the statues are dead, but I was stuck because a couple of them were imprisoned.
  • Spell Globe Key wasn't flagged as droppable.
  • Spells - Seems quite a few spells can't be cast from their scrolls. And others just don't work.
  • Staff of Sorcery - Another very odd bug. If any character other than the main character has the staff equipped when the party gets dumped into the spellhold gauntlet, the person seems to get permanently stunned right after Bodhi's speech. Dispel, Freedom and Remove Paralysis all doesn't work, must kill the character to get freed.
  • The innate spell Sorcery was added to both my main character as well as my second character, oddly enough. No clue how to remove it. The spell itself doesn't work at all.
Quest pack v2.3
  • Adratha, the Rakshasa that the djinns at Trademeet wants to kill, speaks her dialogue twice upon meeting, once for accepting the djinn's job and once for being attacked.
  • Brega - Minor dialogue correction needed, "Is there nothing that be done" to "Is there nothing that can be done".
  • Freedom's Reign and Reign of Virtue - Item conflict.
  • Hell trials - Incompatible with BG2 Fixpack.
  • Hell trial, Selfish - After taking the neutral path, the hostage doesn't get released from stun. Apparently the dispel part was left out. Edit selfish.d from:
    IF ~Global("C7SelfishFight","GLOBAL",1)Global("C7SelfishHostage","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN BEGIN self39  SAY @56  IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("Player1Selfish","GLOBAL",3)IncrementGlobal("C7SinCounter","GLOBAL",1)SetGlobal("OpenedDoor5","AR2904",2)SetGlobal("OpenedDoor6","AR2904",2)~ JOURNAL @55 FLAGS 64 GOTO 32END
    to
    IF ~Global("C7SelfishFight","GLOBAL",1)Global("C7SelfishHostage","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN BEGIN self39  SAY @56  IF ~~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("Player1Selfish","GLOBAL",3)IncrementGlobal("C7SinCounter","GLOBAL",1)SetGlobal("OpenedDoor5","AR2904",2)SetGlobal("OpenedDoor6","AR2904",2)ForceSpell(Player2Fill,HELL_DISPELL)~ JOURNAL @55 FLAGS 64 GOTO 32END

• Mira - After completing the Besamen quest, Mira will thank you for helping Baisera. Talk to her again and she'll give the dialogue option of asking about the location of Baisera again.
  • Miscellaneous Improvements" - Installed as another component.
  • Moiya - Before rescuing her daughter from the graveyard, she'll say "From one of the tombs? She is dead? Oh...oh...you mean that is where they were keeping here.". Odd, considering you haven't done the actual rescue. And should be "...keeping her".
  • Montaron quest - Attempting to betray the harpers won't work right. Once the assassin was revealed and Xzar said "And the assassin is revealed!", they'll both just stand there looking silly. If you talk to Lucette she'll say the dialogue for when Xzar's dead, then lock Harper Hall's doors so that you can't proceed with the quest. Simply don't talk to her and kill her right away, then talk to Xzar.
  • Rune assassins - Had a little fun with this, at least for the first 20 or so spawns... There seems to be an infinite amount of them during the random encounter.
  • De'Arnis Keep - Yuan-ti mage on the second level doesn't cast spells.
  • Pride Tear dragon - Changes made to the dragon will cause crashes if you have SCSII installed. Temporary fix will be to replace hdragsil.cre in the override folder with the backup from SCSII.
Refinements
  • Armor resistance limit - Was having all actions interrupted by the code to limit physical damage resistances, couldn't walk properly, cast spells etc. My main character had insane slashing resistance by the end of TOB. Had to remove it.
Shadows over soubar v1.12
  • Carriage cutscene - At Umar Hills, the option of travelling with Gaius in his carriage sometimes doesn't move the whole party.
  • Gaelan - He still sticks around at Waukeen's even after starting and completing Selence's quests. And he's suppose to be dead, since I'd killed him.
  • Greater Bone Fiends - They are able to see through invisibility, developer's intent?
  • High Merchant Logan - When delivering the letter from the Major, you might run into the no dialogue issue. In his dialogue the checks "GlobalLT("loganmantle","GLOBAL",2)" and "GlobalLT("feudplot","GLOBAL",2)" are the problem.
  • Major - Little script problem if you'd converted exactly nine prisoners. In his dialogue the check "GlobalGT("CbPartyTrainedOneNewGuard","GLOBAL",9)" is the problem.
  • Militia quests - You get equipped with long swords after enlisting in the militia, but they're dispellable, after which you can cheat by equipping your own weapons.
  • Route to Lyrar's Hold - Couldn't take the underground route, the transition point was never enabled.
  • Selence - After joining the party she automatically gives the kicked from party dialogue. Odd.
  • Tactics - Ilyich's party from Improved Ilyich shouts a line of dialogue from SOS, "Soubar is going to get back to normal now that the bandits are gone. Thanks for helping our little town."
  • Town assault - During the town assault, the sergeant who warned you to run or fight sticks around even after the entire thing was over, saying the same lines. Also had a couple of child villagers turn hostile, but I didn't do anything to warrant that. I think.
Tactics v23
  • Greater Earth Elemental - The script imp1900.baf from Improved Druid Grove uses udelde.cre, which will later conflict with Vithal's quest in underdark. Wouldn't break it, he just won't take his book and explain what he's going to do.
  • Umber Hulks - The script spwntrol.baf from Always Toughest Spawn and Improved Torgal uses udumber.cre, which will later conflict with the pit fight sequence in Ust Natha Tavern. The door will not open after the umber hulk died, causing party to be stucked inside.
  • Improved North Forest and Improved Small Teeth Pass crashes - Mentioned a few times but nothing was ever resolved. Don't install.
Unfinished business v15
  • Boots of Hastened Departure - Usable icon glitched.
  • Glacias - Incompatibility with BG2 Fixpack.
  • Nilthiri - Incompatibility with BG2 Fixpack.
  • Suna Seni's script - ccsuna.baf, "Global("SunaTalkedToValygar","GLOABAL",1)" should be "Global("SunaTalkedToValygar","GLOBAL",1)".
  • Unkillable trolls - Probably not a good idea to replace the area script with the patch, since some mods have added to it. Recommend editing arwwbo.baf and then reinstall, or edit ar1900.bcs in NI.
Virtue v19
  • WARNING: cannot find block matching [virtue/bg2/quest/RB_5O.BAF].
Misc
  • Bigby's Crushing Hand animation sometimes keep repeating.
  • Carras in the Smuggler's Cave at Amkethran doesn't talk after the fight with the monks. Can't initiate dialogue with him either.
  • Empathic Manifestation from the Cult of the Unseeing Eye quest commits suicide right after saying its dialogue.
  • Grae from the Limited Wish quest dies too soon without telling you where to find the gong. Do a "SetGlobal("drush","global",1)" to get Drush to spawn.
  • Free Action doesn't work, still getting webbed and such.
Oddities
  • Desecration of souls v2.5 - There's an unpickable chest on the second level of The Dwarven Hammer.
  • "SetGlobal("discognoll","global",1)" - No comment. ^_^
  • Prisoners in Ust Natha Tavern (ar2203)- Talk to one of the prisoners and he'll die, which is then blamed on your party, turning the other drows hostile. The offending drow is uddrow13.cre, by the way.
Ok, that was massive. Gomen. Obligatory weidu log attached.
(Wonder if anyone actually notices these stealth edits. o.o)

Attached Files

Edited by omeletted, 22 January 2008 - 09:59 AM.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

So the fixes.zip, is a fixpack for the bugs in the mods, nice! Thanks.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

I'll get Dungeon Crawl v3 out in a few days. Thank you for reporting.

#4 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:44 AM

Not quite certain where or if I should post this little list of mine. But I know I was getting a little annoyed tracking down the various issues and resolutions regarding various mods, searching and reading multiple forums and their sub-sections. Some of these probably should be posted in the mods' respective forums, but I don't feel like registering on multiple forums and posting all over the place...

In general, it's always better to report bugs directly at the main forum of the mod since that greatly increases the chance that the mod author will notice the issues and correct them in the next revision. Most mods have a forum link in their readme and some of the larger mod communities (i.e. SHS, PPG, G3...etc.) don't require forum registration so you can post your findings there even as a guest.

I've made little edits to fix stuff and did some heavy spelling/grammar checking for some mods, but by all means they're not totally all-encompassing

Just a bit of friendly advice here. While comprehensive bug reports are indeed highly appreciated, most modders frown on the idea that someone else is changing their work without permission. In fact, a large majority of the mods contain a line in their readme which specifically prohibits this. Therefore, even if you possess the knowledge and skill to resolve such issues by yourself, it would be better to post the bug reports and the relevant solutions at the forums of the respective mods rather than release a "fixpack" of your own.

Rogue rebalancing v3.82

• Arledrian - The innkeep at Five Flagons has duplicate dialogue regarding Arledrian.

Thanks for the report, I'll look into it. Could you provide a bit more detail i.e. which line was duplicated and under what conditions?

Edited by aVENGER, 11 January 2008 - 03:32 AM.

#5 omeletted

omeletted
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

Just a bit of friendly advice here. While comprehensive bug reports are indeed highly appreciated, most modders frown on the idea that someone else is changing their work without permission. In fact, a large majority of the mods contain a line in their readme which specifically prohibits this. Therefore, even if you possess the knowledge and skill to resolve such issues by yourself, it would be better to post the bug reports and the relevant solutions at the forums of the respective mods rather than release a "fixpack" of your own.

Let's just say I'm severely reluctant to post more, I'd rather lurk in the background. As for the little fixes, was hoping it wouldn't cause as much furor as the issue of mirroring whole mods. Gomen. But the majority of the issues are known and everyone has had to sit on them for what seems like forever. Imagine my chagrin when after spending so much time and effort researching installation order and then doing the actual installing, only to encounter numerous problems that either break the game or immersion. I swear I spend at least as much time playing with NI as BG2. So, hoping someone else would find the fixes useful. Ideally, I'd be able to gradually delete the issues and fixes as they get rectified, then disappear altogether.

Rogue rebalancing v3.82

• Arledrian - The innkeep at Five Flagons has duplicate dialogue regarding Arledrian.
Thanks for the report, I'll look into it. Could you provide a bit more detail i.e. which line was duplicated and under what conditions?

When going to speak with the innkeep about Arledrian's disappearance, with the pamphlet in hand. "Actually, I'm currently investigating the disappearance of Arledrian, the elven storekeep.", got two options of that line, both seems to do the same thing.

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

Aaaand Dungeon Crawl v3 has been released. Thank you again.

#7 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

Let's just say I'm severely reluctant to post more, I'd rather lurk in the background. As for the little fixes, was hoping it wouldn't cause as much furor as the issue of mirroring whole mods. Gomen. But the majority of the issues are known and everyone has had to sit on them for what seems like forever. Imagine my chagrin when after spending so much time and effort researching installation order and then doing the actual installing, only to encounter numerous problems that either break the game or immersion. I swear I spend at least as much time playing with NI as BG2. So, hoping someone else would find the fixes useful. Ideally, I'd be able to gradually delete the issues and fixes as they get rectified, then disappear altogether.

As I've said before, your efforts are highly appreciated as it's in everyone's interest to have the mods as bugfree as possible. However, note that providing the code for fixing an issue on the original mod's forum and posting a bunch of compiled fixes on a separate forum (which the mod author may not even visit) are two different things. The former is a good idea since you actually save the modder some time and effort and ensure that the solution will be properly addressed in the next mod version. OTOH, the latter is problematic since the modder may never become aware of the issue and publish the next version of the mod without fixing the bugs which you noticed. At the same time, it is possible that the mod author may add new features to the mod which could conflict with the fixes which you made.

For instance, let's say you notice a bug in a mod's area script which doesn't properly spawn an Orc Shaman due to a typo. You fix the typo and release a fixed script file which the players can use to replace the faulty one that comes with the mod. However, for the next version, the mod author decides to spawn three Ogres instead of an Orc Shaman with that area script, one of which now holds a plot critical item. Not knowing whether the original bug was fixed or not, the players download the new mod version and once again replace the script with your version. However, since that version still spawns the Orc Shaman they can never get the plot critical item which is now required in the new mod version and can't progress further, thereby causing an entirely new bug. Anyway, this was just a very simple example, but as you can see, unauthorized fixes which have not been properly reported to the author of the mod can be problematic.

When going to speak with the innkeep about Arledrian's disappearance, with the pamphlet in hand. "Actually, I'm currently investigating the disappearance of Arledrian, the elven storekeep.", got two options of that line, both seems to do the same thing.

Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce this bug locally, so it might be a mod conflict or a corrupted install problem. Please repost the issue in this thread and post your WeiDU.log there as well.

#8 omeletted

omeletted
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:53 AM

Aaaand Dungeon Crawl v3 has been released. Thank you again.

Iie, we should be thanking you. ^_^

#9 Ikki

Ikki
  • Validating
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:53 AM

Wonder if anyone actually notices these stealth edits

I'm carefully following your updates, and greatly appreciates their qualities.
So please continue.

#10 omeletted

omeletted
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

Arigatou, Ikki. And I did even more stealth edits, yay. SCSII v3 was just released but I haven't got around to playing with it, certain issues relating to it may already have been resolved. Waiting for the new version of BG2 Fixpack before starting all over again, fun!

#11 -Ding0-

-Ding0-

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:49 AM

Oh, hey, I missed this. Nice report. If you have any more QP bugs up your sleeve, please do post them. I'm very slowly fixing it. Honest.

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:52 PM

So the fixes.zip, is a fixpack for the bugs in the mods, nice!

Am I blind, or was this file removed, incorporated into the BWP Fixpack or something?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

(Wonder if anyone actually notices these stealth edits. o.o)

Am I blind, or was this file removed, incorporated into the BWP Fixpack or something?

You must be blind. But yes, either to the mods themselves or to BWP Fixpack, :unsure: I hope.

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:44 AM

You must be blind. But yes, either to the mods themselves or to BWP Fixpack, :unsure: I hope.

So I'm not blind - the file is not in the original post (anymore)? I expect some of the modders who are still active incorporated the fixes, but a lot of them aren't active.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#15 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:58 PM

No, the file is not included in our BWP Fixpack. The file must be removed.

For this thread we had wrote the following in our "BWP needs help" thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bugs and oddities, a n00b's list
Here you can find a good list of mod-problems and solutions. Therefore it is needed to check if these problems are still there and not included in new mod-updates. In addition the needed fixes should be checked and created.
http://www.shsforums...showtopic=31309
Who: None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 19 June 2008 - 08:00 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:10 AM

Eh... ok... Jarno (or anyone), do you still have the file, or were you just making it up? :ph34r:

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:15 AM

Eh... ok... Jarno (or anyone), do you still have the file, or were you just making it up? :ph34r:

Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. :(

#18 Steve

Steve
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hey, a chance to be useful.
http://home.comcast....etted_fixes.zip

#19 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

Hey, a chance to be useful.

Great, cheers. Now the BWP folks can check it against existing mod fixes and add the others to their Fixpack, or get the mod authors to do it if they're still around :). (I could help, but if people wait for me they'll probably be waiting a while, as I've got quite a bit of backlog I'm working on.)

#20 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:22 PM

Great, cheers. Now the BWP folks can check it against existing mod fixes and add the others to their Fixpack, or get the mod authors to do it if they're still around :). (I could help, but if people wait for me they'll probably be waiting a while, as I've got quite a bit of backlog I'm working on.)

Like I mentioned before, we have really no time to check omeletted fixes. If you have time, it would be a great help and therefore we can wait. :)

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World