Photo

Need some guinea pigs (esp. Windows98 users)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

Use the Linux version of weidu instead: http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/weidu ; instructions are available from any other mod available on Linux.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#22 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

The author of those files deserves a slow, painful death for using spaces or special characters in file names.

Yepp, we will report that to the modauthors. ;)

I've uploaded a new version. Can you test that (no modded game available ATM).

Thank you very much, we will test it, too. :)

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#23 --Dallan--

--Dallan--

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

Given the current finicky state of biffing routines (they must be installed in a forced order, and BGT-NeJ alone is difficult enough to bring grown men to tears), I've indipendently decided to write a fully generalized biffing tp2, that can simply be installed to the end of your tp2 stack and be fully handled by the tp2 stack routine when it comes to modifying other mods.

I've run I'm going to run the tests on XP SP3 once I've finished backing up my current override folder. However, the setup is largely OS-dependant, so I'll need some people running different OSes to run further tests.

Any OS BG2 can run on is welcome as a testing platform. I'd especially like to have W9x, WVista, Mac and Linux represented, but also having stuff like W2K is better.

I ran into a bug with the TP2 uninstall on WinVista. Well, a chain of bugs, really.

First - there's a typo in the IF block for moving files from prod back to override, where one of the backslashes is reversed (and because the windows FOR command requires the TP2 to use the EXACT keyword, it breaks). That part was easily fixed, but apparently WeiDU 21100 doesn't parse %COMPONENT_NUMBER% in arguments to AT_UNINSTALL, so it passes it straight to the OS, which predictably doesn't handle it properly and doesn't move the files out, leading to unpredictable but probably ugly consequences for installs and uninstalls beneath it in the stack (I didn't check, because since I .

#24 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

First - there's a typo in the IF block for moving files from prod back to override, where one of the backslashes is reversed (and because the windows FOR command requires the TP2 to use the EXACT keyword, it breaks).

Switched both to \s (although it works either way in XP).

That part was easily fixed, but apparently WeiDU 21100 doesn't parse %COMPONENT_NUMBER% in arguments to AT_UNINSTALL, so it passes it straight to the OS, which predictably doesn't handle it properly and doesn't move the files out, leading to unpredictable but probably ugly consequences for installs and uninstalls beneath it in the stack (I didn't check, because since I .

Fixed.

I wonder how it happens that over 8000 people downloaded this and nobody ever noticed.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#25 -my very bad english-

-my very bad english-

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:57 PM

I don't know for the others but Gen Biff killed my megainstall and almost bring me to the verge of tears. It can't be safely uninstalled ( something like " proper parametar could not be found - prod " ). I used second option ( all files ). So, if for some reason I decide to remove some mod from my custom BWP install after I run Gen Biff I'm doomed beacuse in case of uninstall or reinstall I lose all items and creatures ( among other things ) . Of course, solution is to backup files before running this stuff but I'm not sure what ( 139 folders in prod!) beside usual ones ( override, dialogue ).

#26 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Was said before already. For now, you can replace %COMPONENT_NUMBER% with 0 in the tp2 anytime before executing uninstall (it should work even if you do the change after installing Gen Biff but before uninstalling it).

#27 -Konmaril-

-Konmaril-

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hello guys. I'm a german user and having some trouble with this mod. Generalized Biffing could not find any data, but my override folder is normally in the regular BGII directory. Can one help me?

PS: in spite of everything Generalized Biffing came with the message "SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED". But not even one data file was moved from the override diretory.

#28 -rodrik-

-rodrik-

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:36 AM

Hello everyone, I have a problem. After choosing first biffing option, I get following output:

Creating 1 directory
Copying 1 file ...

ERROR Installing [generalized biffing], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 1 files for [generalized_biffing/generalized_biffing.tp2] component 0.
mv: cannot stat `generalized_biffing/prod/0/biffs/0/*': No such file or directory
Uninstalled 1 files for [generalized_biffing/generalized_biffing.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Failure("resource [generalized_biffing/prod/0/list-of-files.] not found for 'COPY'")

In case of second option, it outputs two first lines as before, thinks for a while and ends with the same errors. I'm using "weinstall generalized_biffing" command on Linux with version 21100 of WeiDU. I'm not sure if it is relevant, but I've noticed that file generalized_biffing/prod/0/list-of-files is filled and emptied for several times during biffing of all files. At the end the 0/ folder is deleted. I've tried running first option so far on Windows installation, which is modded identically as Linux one, and it goes flawlessly.

#29 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

sed -es/COPY_EXISTING/COPY/g -i generalized_biffing/generalized_biffing.tp2

I really should update the package with that fix...

#30 -rodrik-

-rodrik-

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

Thank you very much for quick response, it worked right away.

#31 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

Updated. Meaningful only to Linux users who couldn't install because of the problem above.

#32 pacek

pacek
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

The Bigg,
I have a recurring problem, namely creatures with certain scripts (so far have identified SCS2's DW#Range script) do not function. See posts:
http://forums.gibber...ndpost&p=182728
http://www.shsforums...post__p__509191
So I thought the problem had gone on my last install but it's reared its ugly head again. Where you come in is that I uninstalled generalised biffing and voila! Fixed! Any ideas?

Attached Files

#33 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

I've played multiple games with both scs(ii) and gen_biff without the problems you described, so something else is the ultimate cause. I don't have the time, willingness or means to figure exactly what mod is the culprit.

#34 pacek

pacek
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

I've played multiple games with both scs(ii) and gen_biff without the problems you described, so something else is the ultimate cause. I don't have the time, willingness or means to figure exactly what mod is the culprit.

What can I say? Please consider the case of JELGRA.CRE: Mods affecting it are Fixpack and SC2. The only script it has is DW#RANGE from SCS2. Everything functions like it says on the box until I install GenBiff. Now all creatures with DW#RANGE are totally useless. I really don't mind if you don't want to deal with this: I'm not seeking the solution so much as reporting a problem. Its just I seem to have exhausted all other possibilities, and the only solution I have right now is "Don't install GenBiff".

#35 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Very odd. I can reproduce the hostile grey ooze doing nothing on a similar install (BWP with SCS2 and GenBiff installed - though the creature is jelgra01.cre).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#36 pacek

pacek
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:33 PM

Very odd. I can reproduce the hostile grey ooze doing nothing on a similar install (BWP with SCS2 and GenBiff installed - though the creature is jelgra01.cre).

Apologies, its Jelgra01.cre here too.

#37 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

Miloch/Pacek: is there any other bcs file in the override (before biffing) whose first 8 letters are "dw#range"? I recall Pacek accidentally sent me "dw#ranged.bcs" a couple of weeks ago, which I wondered about at the time...

#38 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

Indeed, there is a dw#ranged.bcs file in the override (an invalid name both for the engine and for biffing, being > 8 chars). Would that not explain it?

(Quite a few other such files that seem unnecessary to "transport" to the override e.g. dw#random.bcs, dw#purple.bcs, etc.)

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#39 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

Currently gen_biff only biffs files whose names fall under 8.{biffable extension} and completely ignores the rest. Any suggestions on how I should handle these broken files?

Edited by the bigg, 14 March 2011 - 01:26 AM.

#40 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:38 AM

Any suggestions on how I should handle these broken files?

Delete them? :) Actually I would be interested to hear why DavidW is pushing these files to the game (on top of that to be >8 char filenames which couldn't possibly be interpreted). I'm not trying to be an arse here (seriously), just trying to understand why we end up with compiled scripts that don't actually get interpreted.

I know both of you lads have derided my raised eyebrow at cluttering up the override folder, but I was never off on that to prove a point (aside from being 'why'?). In this case, there are a bunch of dw#123456.bcs scripts that will never get compiled either by the engine or by GenBiff. I have to ask why they are there.