Requesting information from 2CD version users

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

I've received 2 emails from people whose install on the 2cd version is failing. Looking at their debug file, it says it's failing to find the file AR0609.bif, which exists just fine in my 4cd version (on disc 3). AR0609, by the way, is Vrischika's store in the Clerk's ward. I can't believe they just did away with it.

I only have the 4cd version available to me. Can anyone confirm a successful install of the 2cd version, or confirm they're having the same problem?

Qwinn

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

Reviewing the files further, I'm noting that it says it can't find the file in the -cache- directory. I set my cache size to 1 in the Torment.ini file. I also copied all the contents of the CD's to my hard drive, and changed the aliasing in the same file to match.

In fact, here's my Torments.ini file. The only changes I made to the default for my 4CD version were to the aliases, the cache size and set the path search nodes to maximum (32000) since I have a decently fast machine.

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment
CD1:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\CD3\
CD4:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\CD4\
CD5:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\CD5\

[Config]
CacheSize=1

[Movies]

[Game Options]
Footsteps=1
Mouse Scroll Speed=50
GUI Feedback Level=5
Locator Feedback Level=3
Command Sounds Frequency=3
Selection Sounds Frequency=3
Bored Timeout=3000
Always Dither=0
Keyboard Scroll Speed=50
Effect Text Level=62
Attack Sounds=1
Auto Pause State=0
Difficulty Level=3
Quick Item Mapping=1
Always Run=0
Memory Access=100
Memory Level=1
Health Bar Settings=63
Subtitles=0
Environmental Audio=1
Sound Processing=1
Music Processing=1

[Program Options]
Tooltips=0
Sprite Mirror=1
Gamma Correction=0
Brightness Correction=0
Volume Movie=100
Volume Music=100
Volume Voices=100
Volume Ambients=100
Volume SFX=100
Strref On=0
Screen Position X=0
Screen Position Y=0
Full Screen=1
Path Search Nodes=32000
Maximum Frame Rate=30
Translucent Shadows=1
SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0
SoftBltFast=0
SoftSrcKeyBlt=0
SoftBlt=0
SoftMirrorBlt=0

#3 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

Please note that I'd still really like to hear of a successful install on a 2CD version, just so I can rule out that it's not a problem of an actual difference in the files between the two versions.

Qwinn

#4 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

Get the same error - there is no ar0609.bif in the 2 CD version. Also, there are no "CD" paths at all - all the biffs are just in the main game folder.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#5 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

That's just bizarre. AR0609 is Vrischika's store. How can it not be there?

I'm not sure what I can do about this :( I don't ever require a particular .bif file... let me see if I can puzzle out from the debug file what exact change I'm trying to make at that point in the install procedure.

Qwinn

#6 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

Alright. I found the specific change that's causing it. It's from Platter's Fixpack.

// Fixpack: "Fixed an error in The Apothecary and Vrischika's Curiosity Shop that may
// be related to those areas crashing more often than others."
// CREDIT: Platter
COPY_EXISTING ~AR0609.WED~ ~override~
~AR0612.WED~ ~override~
WRITE_SHORT 0x22 13
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

These are the only changes I make to WED's anywhere in any of my mods. Since it seems to be a "this might help" type of fix, and doesn't seem to assure that it actually fixes a problem, I'm definitely willing to comment it out for now. If people report crashes in those areas, I can maybe just include copies of the fixed .WED's in the /copy directory and copy them outright.

Miloch, you willing to comment out that bit in PST-Fix/tph/PFixPack.tph, and give reinstalling a try for me? If you can confirm that that fixes the issue and you can install the mods after that, I'll release version 1.01 immediately.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 June 2008 - 06:28 PM.

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

That's just bizarre. AR0609 is Vrischika's store. How can it not be there?

Yeah... it comes from COPY_EXISTING ~AR0609.WED~ ~override~ in PFixpack.tph. I looked around with NI and very few of the .wed files or the supposedly associated biffs are present.

It does look like these are present on the 2nd CD in a 'cd2' folder, where there are a bunch of .cbf files - compressed biffs? Which is pretty lame. I don't even recall being asked to do a full install of all the CD content, like you can for BG1.

FWIW, it installs with that section commented out, but I still think it's pretty lame you can't edit .wed files in this version, at least not easily. Or that most of the content stays on the CDs which must be pretty slow and annoying when you're playing, though you could probably hack around that with virtual drives or something.

Incidentally, I didn't see the two BAMs I fixed in this version (lockpick and chain-tooth earrings as I recall) - did you decide not to use them or did you use them in one of the other mods? I can't link you to the post at G3 again, because G3's server sucks.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#8 -Mysterious guest-

-Mysterious guest-

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:32 PM

I have done the above. it fixed the problem

Thanks

#9 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks! What I'll do is put the two fixed .WED's in the /copy directory and just copy them outright. I agree that it's obnoxious, but it is also the only change of it's kind in the game, not going to get too upset about it.

Expect a version 1.01 that works with the 2 CD version within the hour.

Qwinn

#10 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

The problem has been fixed. Version 1.01 is now available for download. If you're using the 4CD version, it is unnecessary to update. If you have the 2CD version, version 1.01 is required, version 1.00 won't install for you.

Qwinn

#11 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

Miloch,

Incidentally, I didn't see the two BAMs I fixed in this version (lockpick and chain-tooth earrings as I recall) - did you decide not to use them or did you use them in one of the other mods? I can't link you to the post at G3 again, because G3's server sucks.

Were these done for the Restoration Pack? If so, no, I didn't include them. The only place the lockpicks would actually appear in game were on Sybil's corpse, and Sybil isn't someone you would normally want to kill. I had the impression those were intended for the Planescape Vengeance total conversion.

I didn't notice a problem with the chained eaarings bam... let me look at what's there. Do you remember the details of the changes?

Or you could just wait till G3 comes back up to point me to whatever it is you're referring to.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 June 2008 - 07:07 PM.

#12 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

I didn't notice a problem with the chained eaarings bam... let me look at what's there. Do you remember the details of the changes?

See here - I believe this is one of Annah's items.

#13 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

Okay, I have a new question for 2CD users, specifically from someone with Near Infinity

The details of why I'm asking can be seen here:

http://www.gamebansh...tml#post1001735

Here's what I need someone with the 2CD version to do:

Open up DP_JRNL.DLG. Go to state 10. Look at the reply. Does it have a blank reply referring to string ref 46192, or is the reply box blank?

If you want to decompile it to a .D to look at it instead, does it say this:

IF ~~ THEN GOTO 12

Or is it

IF ~~ THEN REPLY #46192 /* ~~ */ GOTO 12

The latter does really bad things... basically it makes the dialogue hang and progress impossible (though there is a workaround if you're stuck with it, see the thread for details).

My 4CD version has the former, correct version, and none of the mods my mod deals with have a version with the problem. The 2CD version is the only place I can imagine it comes from now. The version packaged with the Clan Dlan translation has it (yeah, they packaged some bug fixes with their translation, which with their permission I've gone through and will be implemented in Fixpack 2.0) but they actually fixed it in a roundabout manner by making the string non-blank in their translation. The fact that both their version and the two users at that thread report the problem, though, convinces me that the bad version must've been distributed by Black Isle somewhere along the way.

Seriously, if anyone is looking to buy this game on ebay or whatever - GET THE 4 CD VERSION. The 2CD version creates a whole bunch of issues that don't exist in the 4CD version, and I haven't found a problem yet with the patched 4CD version that doesn't exist in the 2CD set.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 August 2008 - 08:12 AM.

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

Open up DP_JRNL.DLG. Go to state 10. Look at the reply. Does it have a blank reply referring to string ref 46192, or is the reply box blank?

Neither; it references string #46237 ("You circumvent the dodecahedron's poisonous gas trap..."). This is with or without your fixpack applied.

#15 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

That's the state. I'm asking about the -response- to that state. State 10 Response 0. It -should- just transition to state 12 (so the response box should appear empty - in game this gets you the "Click for More" button), but there's this version out there that has a blank strref 46192 attached to it, as described above.

If you look at the file via the Edit tab in Near Infinity, it's Response 24. The "Associated Text" should be the null value "I shall wait for you in death's halls, my love"... if it's blank, problem.

Thanks much for looking into it for me, Miloch :)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 August 2008 - 12:52 PM.

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

If you look at the file via the Edit tab in Near Infinity, it's Response 24.

Oh, ok. You said to look at state 10, not response 24 <_<.

The "Associated Text" should be the null value "I shall wait for you in death's halls, my love"...

Yes, that's what it is (string ref 0).

#17 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Oh, ok. You said to look at state 10, not response 24

I said "Go to state 10. Look at the reply." :P I assumed use of the view screen :)

And ugh, I was almost hoping you'd tell me it had the blank strref applied. I now have -no- idea where this version with the blank strref is coming from, if it isn't the 2CD or the 4CD versions. Clan Dlan picked up their version with it years ago, and the two guys who reported the bug at gamebanshee aren't responding to hails. Sigh.

Ah well, thank you very much for looking at it for me :)

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 August 2008 - 01:08 PM.

#18 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

Oh, ok. You said to look at state 10, not response 24

I said "Go to state 10. Look at the reply." :P I assumed use of the view screen :)

I did use View and gave you the Response listed there for state 10, but the text associated with the First response index for state 10 is a different matter (and it would've been much quicker to go to Response 24 in the first place) :P. But whatever, it sounds like you got the info you needed. It could well be someone installed a non-WeiDU mod or something - wasn't that the norm for PST before you came along?

#19 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

. But whatever, it sounds like you got the info you needed.

Yah, I did, thanks again.

It could well be someone installed a non-WeiDU mod or something - wasn't that the norm for PST before you came along?

Indeed, but the guys at the gamebanshee link swear that they had the problem even with no mods except for a CD crack. The only way they could've had the problem from the infected Clan Dlan version is if they installed the translation, and then overwrote the dialog.tlk back to the english version (why?). I'm just curious where the hell it's coming from.

EDIT: BTW, naturally I checked Platter's Fixpack, Restoration Pack and SKARDAVNELNATE's AIP. None of them have a bad version of the file. I can't imagine what other mod would even bother to modify the dodecahedron dialogue, or why.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 06 August 2008 - 02:38 PM.