BGT 1.06 + NEJ 6.91 and TS 7.02 compatibility

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:38 AM

Both NEJ and TS choke during install if they are installed after BGT. It seems they both look for the file tisunpack.exe in the \BGII - SoA folder which unfortunately gets deleted by BGT once it finishes installing. It would be nice if this file was not deleted.

#2 Bearwere

Bearwere
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

I think it would be nice if they put this file into override themselves :\

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

That's true, the blame also lies on the NEJ and TS side for having several files extracted into the game installation folder. Many mods have a single 'mod_name' folder and a 'setup-mod_name.exe', but not in the case here unfortunately.

Barring this minor issue, both mods install without errors (when the proper fixes are applied). There should only be very few incompatibilities.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

You do know that you should be using the BGT-WeiDU v1.01 ... :whistling:
As that's how Vlad wants to support the thing.

Edit, I need new...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 02 August 2008 - 04:07 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

I know Jarno, but I think it's about time we start adapting to the latest versions of these mods instead of living in the past. I noticed several people are sticking to the old NEJ 4.2b, the old TS-BP 6.10, and now as you say the old BGT 1.01 (in this case) in order to maintain compatibility. Why? It doesn't make much sense to still insist on driving an old 1972 Jaguar when you've got a new (but slightly damaged) 2008 Mclaren DV in the garage.

Anyway, it's not as incompatible as everyone is making them out to be. Part 1 of NEJ is very stable, the part where I did get stuck was when finishing up in Icewind Dale and returning back to Athkatla. It's just a minor annoyance of setting a few CLUA variables in part 2. As for TS, well I haven't tested yet, but if I encounter problems, I'm sure it's just minor changes here and there.

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

@Jarno: You mean Vlad, not Baronius.

I know Jarno, but I think it's about time we start adapting to the latest versions of these mods instead of living in the past. I noticed several people are sticking to the old NEJ 4.2b, the old TS-BP 6.10, and now as you say the old BGT 1.01 (in this case) in order to maintain compatibility. Why? It doesn't make much sense to still insist on driving an old 1972 Jaguar when you've got a new (but slightly damaged) 2008 Mclaren DV in the garage.

Anyway, it's not as incompatible as everyone is making them out to be. Part 1 of NEJ is very stable, the part where I did get stuck was when finishing up in Icewind Dale and returning back to Athkatla. It's just a minor annoyance of setting a few CLUA variables in part 2. As for TS, well I haven't tested yet, but if I encounter problems, I'm sure it's just minor changes here and there.

I'm afraid you'll have to ask Vlad to adapt compatibility of the latest TS and NeJ to the latest version of BGT. While TS, NeJ, and BGT development still continue, I aim for a final BGT package, and dealing with extraneous compatibility issues will just mess things up. Making a mod compatible with BGT is a process that is well documented (DevDoc) and the compatibiilty data rarely ever changes on my side. I am not going to add any further compatibility to BGT at the risk of having it become obsolete (which became the case for NeJ 4.2b). Other mods will have to work around BGT.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#7 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

I believe Vlad is in semi retirement from modding and is not currently developing NeJ or TS. NeJ2 v6.9.4 and TS v7.02 are very stable when installed the right way. While Vlad was developing his mods he did not want people making changes that he would be unfamilier with and need to send time to figure out (like making changes to work with newer versions of BGT) taking him away from finishing his mod. When a very stable and near final version of BGT is released (really when Ascension64 says that he is done developing/making significant changes to BGT) then someone might want to make a compatibility patch for NeJ2 v6.9.4 and TS v7.02 (with Vlad's say so).

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

someone might want to make a compatibility patch for NeJ2 v6.9.4 and TS v7.02 (with Vlad's say so).

I think erebusant has done this for NEJ2 6.94; well, he may have made a start anyway. Some of the issues may go beyond just a compatibility patch.

It doesn't make much sense to still insist on driving an old 1972 Jaguar when you've got a new (but slightly damaged) 2008 Mclaren DV in the garage.

It makes all kinds of sense, if you've actually got a '72 Jaguar that runs, as the newer ones are crap since Ford took over (they were crap before too, but at least they looked classy). But I think comparing mods to cars probably doesn't work that well.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#9 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:33 AM

someone might want to make a compatibility patch for NeJ2 v6.9.4 and TS v7.02 (with Vlad's say so).

I think erebusant has done this for NEJ2 6.94; well, he may have made a start anyway. Some of the issues may go beyond just a compatibility patch.

Oh yes... the issues are many, and it isn't just a compatibility patch that would do the job, it requires some wholesale changes to the .tp2 in order to install without breaking your game, which Vlad hasn't blessed, and I'm not about to put out for general use without his approval.

It takes a village...