Photo

New Beginnings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Vhaira

Vhaira
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

...this is just a little thing I've been writing up due to the fact that I am a real Xan fan. I just wanted to give some immense thanks to Kulyoc's Xan mod for BG2 (found heere ->http://www.pocketpla...=164&Itemid=113 ), it made my life :)
I hope you guys enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. (On another note, it's not quite finished yet, I'll update soon).

Part 1:

Despite her predicament, Vhaira could not argue that Athkatla was indeed a beautiful city. It may have just been a comparison, the elf soon reminded herself, between the slums and the new government district. It was rather obvious that the rulers of this city did well to pamper the wealthy and keep the less fortunate huddled in dirty street corners. Vhaira could not help a toothy grin as she examined her other teammates.
Jaheira, who had taken a place at her side, could not help herself as her green eyes drifted up to the tall spires and architecture of the mansions that clustered together. There was a frown on her face, though, as the druid?s thoughts wandered off. It was obvious that the more worldly woman could see the corruption of the city brimming forth like the suns rays? and that she did not like it.
On Vhaira?s other side moved a much larger, much happier figure. Minsc, his expression a rather lopsided grin, stared through (or rather over) the mass crowds that waded through the district. Many stares were directed to him and the huge broadsword that was strapped to his back. Minsc took them all in stride, though, nodding politely as a hero should at those who managed to catch his mighty gaze.
Yoshimo did not find his usual place in the shadows, but rather stood up strait behind the warrior. The rogue?s smile matched Vhaira?s as he watched the other people that brushed by him. The duelist noticed well the subtle shifts of his hands as he brushed by some wealthier folk, chuckling to herself as Yoshimo pick pocketed the unsuspecting nobles. She would have scolded him if she hadn?t had the same thought in her own head.
The last and latest addition to their group trudged along beside the rogue as he whistled a quiet tune. Haer?Dalis found his eyes roaming higher up as he observed the city in wonderment. The tune on his lips began to fade as his attention was completely held by the life around him. Vhaira did not know much about the strange bard, but judging from what she did know, he was completely captivated by the city he knew so little about.
?Tell me, m? raven, are all cities on this plane as magnificent as Athkatla?? The bard said in sheer awe as Vhaira shrugged, a grin on her face.
?I really haven?t seen many others? or at least ones this big. Maybe you should ask somebody who?s seen more? like Jaheira?? The duelist said calmly. Jaheira?s glare caught her where she was, though Vhaira could only smile wider.
?Child, please don?t sick the bard on me? you know how insatiable he is with questions?? She almost pleaded in a quiet voice. Vhaira shrugged apologetically, trying as hard as she could not to laugh.
?Perhaps? perhaps yon woman would flatter me with a tale or two?? Haer?Dalis wondered innocently. Jaheira hissed out a sigh.
?Perhaps if yon ?sparrow? would stop annoying me.? she responded.
The bard caught her gaze for a moment and let his eyelids droop romantically as he stared at her, a small smile playing across his lips. Jaheira glared at him as he blew her a kiss, barely containing his wide grin.
Yoshimo jabbed Haer?Dalis in the side with his elbow as he chuckled, a fair warning to the bard not to get on the druids bad side. He blew a stray wisp of his blue tinged hair out of his eyes as he kept up his pace, drifting politely behind Jaheira.
?Eh? What might this commotion be?? came Minsc?s booming voice as he glanced down at Vhaira before his eyes turned back up to the scene playing out before them. The duelist followed his gaze. A ruckus of shouting came from a the nearby central building, a small crowd of bystanders stopping to get a view. A small group of guards walked in as some walked out and the shouting intensified.
?The council of six building. Something must be causing trouble.? Came Yoshimo?s suddenly quiet voice.
?Perhaps it is time for some heroes to go solve whatever problem presents itself! A new opportunity to kick evil in it?s ugly head, right Boo?? Minsc clarified as he offered one of his huge fingers to the tiny ball of fur that sat diligently on his shoulder. The hamster sniffed it in conformation as the warrior took a step forward.
?Looks like we needn?t bother.? Jaheira said carefully as the scene continued.
A group of armored soldiers marched out of the main door of the building, hauling a smallish elf by the neck of his purple-hued robes as he kicked and shouted. Vhaira peered closer, but was unable to get a good look at the trouble maker through the wall of armor that was the guards. As they descended the brief flight of stairs leading down, the two guards holding the man finally heaved him forward, sending the poor fellow flying through the air, only to crash into the cobbled road face-first.
With a groan, the elf hauled himself to a sitting position as he glared back up at the laughing guards.
?Fine!! Don?t help me! You and you?re doomed city can go rot in the nine hells for all I care!? He shouted, but they only laughed lauder and turned back to re-enter the building. The elf sighed mournfully as he brought himself up to his feet and dusted off his robes? and he couldn?t help but turn back to the now closing doors of the council of six building. ?I hope those damnable thieves rob you blind, as well!! Maybe it would show you a bit of sense!? his vigor did not last long, however, as he turned back shut his eyes briefly before popping them back open to glare at the remainder of the crowd.
?Well, go on. Don?t you have anything better to do now that I?m done being humiliated?? The bystanders cleared away fast enough as the elf trudged over to the nearest wall and none to gracefully dropped his head against it. He seemed to immediately regret the act as he clutched his forehead and cursed to himself.
Vhaira moved forward as the crowd dispersed, and the others could not help but follow her. It had always been in her nature to be helpful? and also to be annoyingly inquisitive. The other elf seemed not to notice her as she walked closer.
?The poor guy? why do you suppose he?s so--? The duelist stopped in her sentiment and she stopped all together for a brief moment as her eyes widened, finally getting a good-enough view of the trouble-maker.
?Holy hells, it?s Xan!? She shouted gleefully as she broke into a full-out run towards her old companion.
The wizard had barely turned around before she barreled into him with full force. The slightly smaller elf still knocked him down as he yelped, trying to squirm away until he finally saw who his attacker was.
Vhaira was sitting on top of him, her dark hair having fallen out of its bandana and into her eyes, a huge smile on her face, and for some reason both of her hands firmly on his cheeks.
??Vhaira?? Xan?s dark eyes widened completely and his face took on a rosy color as she laughed heartily.
?Xan! My gloomy little mage, what the hells are you doing here?? The mage looked as if he was about to answer before he looked down to her hands, which for some reason hadn?t yet left his face. He swallowed with embarrassment as he quickly plucked her hands from his cheeks and ears and Vhaira flushed in turn, realizing her actions.
?It?s nice to see you?re so glad to see me, but please? get off.? He said as politely as he could as the duelist none too gracefully removed herself from atop the enchanter and he stood up. She couldn?t miss the gleam in his eyes, though.
?ahem? sorry ?bout that??
?It?s quite alright. A little unexpected? but alright.? He responded as the smiling girl repeated her initial question.
?What are you doing in a place like this?? She clapped Xan on the shoulder apologetically as he cleared his throat, the typical worry lines creasing his brow.
?Greycloak duties. I?ve been sent on yet another futile quest that will again most likely end in my death? but what of you??
?I?d recognize that optimistic voice anywhere? Came Jaheira?s voice, obviously trying to put a warmer hint to it. Xan looked up and a small smile flashed on his lean face as the druid clasped his outstretched hand ?it is? good to see you again, Xan.?
?Jaheira. It is good to see you still here. I heard about Khalid? I am sorry.? The wizard stuttered as the druid cut him off with a wave of her hand, looking away quietly.
?Look, Boo! Our little elf friend returns to us!? Minsc exclaimed. The mage sighed dejectedly as he extended his small hand, and the warrior took it gladly. The elf looked surprised when Minsc did not crush his fingers in his grasp, but another sigh escaped him when the huge man thrust a small, orangey hamster into his face. It took him a while, but he finally mustered up the courage to pat the little rodent on its head before quickly retracting his hand. The other two watched the exchange with a bit of merriment, if not confusion.
Xan finally turned back to Vhaira, but noticed her grin gone as she assessed the last question he?d directed towards her. A darkness settled in her eyes as she glanced at him nervously.
?we? we were kidnapped, Xan. Some awful mage? he tortured us, it?s all becoming a bit of a blur, actually?? the elf felt his throat constricting as the girl shuddered. He could only imagine what she?d gone through that had caused her to visibly darken so. He could not help but feel pangs of guilt on his own behalf. Vhaira suddenly looked back up to him, her smile gone but an ambitious gleam returning to her eyes. ?They took Imoen, too! The Cowled Wizards, I mean? she tried to defend us and? well? we have to get her back!?
?I? I see,? Xan said quietly before he sighed helplessly ?Corellon doom me for saying this, but? do you happen to need a good enchanter??
The last word hadn?t left his lips before the duelist rushed forward and wrapped her arms around him in a surprisingly warm hug. ?Oh, it would be great to have you with us again!? He sucked in his breath as he carefully and tediously placed his own arms around the other elf, his eyes never leaving her. Soon enough she pulled away slightly, her hands still on his waist and her shining eyes on his.
?Well lucky you, because we?re just about to go hunt down some outlaws that have been terrorizing the bridge district.? Xan could only sigh as she chuckled again.
Before she pulled completely away, Vhaira stepped up onto her toes and snaked a hand under the enchanters chin. Too quickly for him to react, she planted a light kiss on his cheek, just barely glancing his lips, and deftly danced away.
The mage just stood there for a few moments, another blush beginning to crawl up his neck.
I fight for my friends. O_O

#2 Vhaira

Vhaira
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

and now for a budding romance and my ability to talk about wine for two pages. Please excuse typos, my computer doesn't have spellcheck and I'm too lazy to look :P

Part 2:

?Utter recklessness, child, nothing less!? Jaheira fumed half-heartedly as the group threw open the door to the Five Flagons and moved their way inside.
?So what? I wasn?t sure about their numbers. We beat them didn?t we?? Vhaira countered as she blew a strand of hair out of her eyes ?Besides? I wasn?t off by that much.?
?You were off by about twelve.? The druid said quietly, recalling the look of surprise on Vhaira?s face when the rest of the bandits jumped out at her. Minsc took up place on Jaheira?s other side, his confident grin nearly lighting up the room.
?Only more villainous butts for Minsc and Boo and Vhaira to serve on the porcelain plates of justice to be eaten for breakfast by the righteous!!? he exclaimed, shoving a huge fist into the air with triumph. The hamster on his shoulder squeaked in approval.
??I swear, he gets more complex with these speeches each day.? Xan mumbled quietly as he shook his head.
?Well said, my noble hound!? Haer?Dalis said as he clapped the huge Minsc on the shoulder ?now, I believe it is time to celebrate our victory?? Yoshimo?s eyes lit up at the mention of a celebration, just as Vhaira?s grin nearly split her face. Haer?Dalis? eyes settled on the duelist hopefully as she thought for a moment.
?Aye, we deserve it enough! Who?s up for rounds?? She exclaimed finally as both the bard and Yoshimo glanced at each other with joy. Minsc laughed and even Jaheira couldn?t help a smile at the warmth of the situation. Only Xan did not seem to share the merriment of the others (although it was as well as could be expected) as he followed the group to the nearest long table and planted himself in an empty chair at the end of the table. The mage slumped in his seat and his hands folded in his lap as his gaze shifted around the tavern.
He jumped noticeably when a hand snaked onto his shoulder. Xan looked up to glare at the blue-haired Haer?Dalis, who grinned down at him.
?Is the dreary wizard not one for taverns?? He asked as he leaned on the table. The elf just sighed.
?When one understands the true nature of their impending doom, they find it quite difficult to sit back and relax.? He said quietly (but just above the din of the tavern). The bard just laughed.
?Aye, but entropy does indeed play the leading role in the inevitable decay of all things? but that alone is enough to celebrate, to live life before it is over.? Haer?Dalis sat on the table next to the wizard and turned to remove a beautifully crafted lute from his traveling pack. Just as he was about to start plucking at the strings, Xan cast him a genuinely threatening look.
?Start playing that in my vicinity and I swear you will be believing you?re a goat for the remainder of the night.? He said distinctly. If the bard had known him better, he would have known the threat to be completely hollow, but the grin on his face gave way to the fact that he already doubted his words.
?I believe we might become very good friends, you and I.? He said, his voice dripping with merriment as Xan folded his arms over his slender chest.
?My, but I can hardly find an impossibility to compare that one to.? He said. Haer?Dalis only laughed louder as he walked over to the other end of the long table towards the others that might enjoy his presence more.
It wasn?t long before another presence moved up beside him. Vhaira, somehow balancing a massive tray of food and drink, dropped it with a clang on the end of the table, a huge grin on her face. Xan only looked up at her for a moment before he looked off into the distance of the tavern, lost in his thoughts. He was taken out of his thoughts once again when Vhaira pushed a tall glass and bottle of a sweet smelling wine in front of him along with a bowl of a frothy, well-spiced stew. He looked back into her face.
?I didn?t think you?d react too well to? typical Amnish ale, so I ordered some elven wine.? She scrunched up her petite nose for a second as she tapped her chin ?well, actually I doubt that it?s authentic elven wine, but the price seemed about right so I got it for you.? Xan actually managed a genuinely warm smile as his hands found their way onto the bottle of wine.
?Thank you? he said as he poured a glass. The duelist began to walk down the other end of the table before the enchanter offered the glass to her. Vhaira grinned at him for a few moments before she gently took the glass and sat down on the table beside him. For some reason, Xan had to exert some effort to keep his eyes away from her crossed legs. He took an experimental sip of his wine while waiting for the steaming stew to cool off enough so that he might not burn himself. The drink was surprisingly pleasant and sweet, with a bitter but fulfilling aftertaste. The halfling bartender, as if waiting for the mage to sample the stuff, freed himself from behind the counter and moved over slightly towards him, a smile on his chubby face.
?Like the wine?? He asked. Xan and Vhaira nodded with a half-smile. The halfling leaned on his bar, a superior look in his eye.
?That?s a vintage. Imported all the way from a far off elven city, Evereska. They say the elves there let their wine sit for a good century before they ship it off.?
?Oh? Sounds quite fascinating.? The mage said. Either his dark brown hair was covering his pointed ears rather well, or the halfling wasn?t sure of the elf?s nobility. Either way, the bartender grinned and moved off to tend to the other, less noticeable patrons.
?How does it compare?? Vhaira asked in a low tone as the bartender moved away. The enchanter looked up at her with a raised eyebrow. ?The wine. How would it compare to the stuff you?re probably used to??
?Oh. Well, sadly not much can compare. This is a pleasant drink, but still obviously human. Gods help him, he?s trying hard enough to mimic it?? Xan seemed to drift of slightly with his words and he subconsciously licked his lips, as if he could remember the taste.
?Was it really that good?? Vhaira asked as she shifted closer to the mage, who cast her a doubting look, obviously trying to chase away the smile that was beginning to take a hold on him as he sighed.
?Oh, Vhaira? you have no idea.? He said dreamily. The girl had no idea that a drink could do that much to a person, no less make him smile. It soon occurred to her that he was not so much thinking of Evereskan wine as he was of Evereska.
The duelist quietly placed her hands behind her head and tried to undo the clasp on the back of her bandana, but soon found some kind of knot or obstruction. After a few minutes, she realized how she looked fidgeting furiously with the back of her bandana, her eyes narrowed to slits and her teeth bared menacingly, mostly because of Yoshimo?s chuckling. She turned to glare at the thief, who began to stifle his laughing, turning away so she wouldn?t see his smile. She looked down to see Xan staring at her with a half-hearted grin and sparkling eyes, something that could either be interpreted as pity or affection. He quickly got up out of his seat and gestured for her to come closer. She moved up to him and he turned her around with a sigh, trying to find what had been causing the other elf so much distress. Vhaira felt her cheeks reddening as his nimble fingers worked their way around the back of her neck, untying knots and buckles.
?Vhaira? why in the world would you need so many clasps for your hair?? It took her a moment to realize that he had spoken, more focused was she in the gentle touch of his hands. When she noticed this, her blush became only more profound.
?Well I don?t want my hair flying in front of my eyes. You?d be surprised how many I need as to keep it all up in that thing. Now, finish telling me about that real wine, I feel like I?ve been missing out.? Xan sighed as he finally managed to undo the majority of the ties of her bandana. He got to work on untying the brownish cloth with one hand, while the other subconsciously brushed through the duelist?s dark locks in a half-hearted attempt to smooth out whatever damage had been caused.
?Well first off, true Evereskan wine is not exported as readily as you?d think, and it is near impossible to obtain outside the city. Regretfully I can?t really describe it nearly as well. It is something that you just have to have for yourself, and then you?ll understand what I mean?? the enchanter?s voice dropped to a more dreamy, soothing tone as his own words once again carried him away to his home ?perhaps? perhaps one day you will be able to try it. Maybe when this is all over I might bring you to Evereska and you could sample all the elven wine in the world? you could finally see the glossy streets and massive spires? we could walk together in the gardens??
It took Xan a few moments to snap himself out of his daydream and he just then realized his own words. His eyes widened when he saw the bandana undone and sitting over his forearm while one hand combed lovingly through her hair and the other had moved up to glide along the length of one of her pointed ears.
Vhaira?s eyes closed and she trembled slightly at his touch. The mage just then remembered how sensitive her elven ears were and what exactly what he was doing, and he immediately retracted his hands and cleared his throat. A shiver ran through the duelist before she turned slowly around to face him. Xan?s embarrassment showed clearly in the color of his cheeks.
?What was?? she began with a half-smile ??is the wine really that good?? The enchanter cleared his throat again as he tried to avoid her gaze.
?I?m?sorry? I must?ve gotten carried away?? He managed, his voice quiet.
Carried away indeed, he told himself. What had gotten into him?
As his eyes moved back to the beautiful elf standing with one hand on her hip, Xan just then realized that his answer was right there in front of him.
I fight for my friends. O_O