Photo

Infinity Engine Modlist & Installer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Infinity Engine Modlist & Installer (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Which system should this work with?

1. The BiG World Project (generate .bat file) (14 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. SMM Auto-DL / Auto-Installer (generate .xml file) (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

Infinity Engine Mod List and Installer
[link]

What is the Infinity Engine Mod List & Installer?

The Infinity Engine Modlist & Installer (IEMI) would more accurately be named the Baldur's Gate Trilogy Installation Generator & Mod Listing. BGTIGML isn't a fun acronym, however. Basically, what IEMI does (or will do) is generate files needed to work with large installations.
Currently, however, it is more like IEM then IEMI.

What is the Infinity Engine Mod List?
The IEM is a community-open site that offers many of the same features that the Pocket Plane Group. However, it has quite a few other features:
  • Information displayed on mod pages:
    • Name
    • Author
    • Category (with support for multiple categories)
    • Current Version
    • Info Updated Date
    • Description
    • Home link
    • Forum link
    • Download Mirrors
    • Download Archives (download mirrors that do not match the current version)
    • A complete list of components inside each mod.
  • You can search by name, author, or description.
  • Contains a functional modlist.
  • Users are able to add and modify the listings of mods.
  • Users are able to add, remove, and modify file mirrors.
  • Users are able to reload component listings.
  • Mods with any components marked for installation can be put into a list to be used with a download manager for auto-download.
What is the Infinity Engine Installer?
IEI is the 'intelligent' part of IEMI. This is responsible of reading the components you selected from IEM, and generating your .xml or .bat file. This will also, in future versions, report conflicts.

Currently, this is meant to work with SMM. However, I am looking to decide if I should switch to the BiG World Project instead. Generating the code for a .bat file would be just about the same amount of work as generating a .xml file.

That's all I can do for tonight. What I'd really appreciate from readers is:
  • Feedback! What do you think? Would you use such a thing?
  • Vote! Which is better for you to have generated? An SMM xml file, or a BiG bat file?
  • Suggest! What would you like to see? This whole project is designed to be open for the community. Soooo... go be community-like!
Changelog
  • v0.2.3 9-14-08
    • Modified the single-mod install/uninstall.
  • v0.2.2
    • Fixed bug when trying to install/uninstall single component.
  • v0.2.1
    • Optimized download generator.
  • v0.2.0
    • Redid the way components were stored into cookies.
    • Fixed a design typo so that categories highlight correctly when viewed.
    • Download generator fully functional.
  • v0.1.5
    • "First" recorded version.
    • "Add MOD" page now has an option for version.
    • "Add MOD" page, after submitted, redirects you to that mod's page.
    • "BETA" tag slapped on the logo.
  • _linenums:0'>
    • <strong class='bbc'>v0.2.3</strong> 9-14-08
      • Modified the single-mod install/uninstall.
    • <strong class='bbc'>v0.2.2</strong>
      • Fixed bug when trying to install/uninstall single component.
    • <strong class='bbc'>v0.2.1</strong>
      • Optimized download generator.
    • <strong class='bbc'>v0.2.0</strong>
    • <strong class='bbc'>v0.1.5</strong>
      • "First" recorded version.
      • "Add MOD" page now has an option for version.
      • "Add MOD" page, after submitted, redirects you to that mod's page.
      • "BETA" tag slapped on the logo.

Edited by Michael, 14 September 2008 - 04:31 PM.

This is the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

What is IEMI?

Please provide feedback on IEMI.

#2 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:30 AM

I would definitely use such a thing, but won't BWP v6 have a similar tool?
    But probably I understood wrong and someone can explain it to me!

Marvin

Edited by Marvin, 12 September 2008 - 10:30 AM.

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

That's all I can do for tonight. What I'd really appreciate from readers is:

• Suggest! What would you like to see? This whole project is designed to be open for the community. Soooo... go be community-like!

Well, as I am really unfamiliar about the code on either system, I would like to see all the commands etc.
    PS: I do know how to edit the bat file and can handle the number system, but erm, don't have a clear overview of the more advanced code... So is there a good link? :ph34r:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 12 September 2008 - 12:52 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
    • 1912 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Why is the poll either-or?

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
    ==========================================================
    "You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
    ==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
    ================================================================
    Community Contributions
    * Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#5 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Marvin

Unsure. I did a quick look, but didn't see anything similar.

Well, as I am really unfamiliar about the code on either system, I would like to see all the commands etc.
    PS: I do know how to edit the bat file and can handle the number system, but erm, don't have a clear overview of the more advanced code... So is there a good link? :ph34r:

Basically, where the bat file contains:
    if exist Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	--language	0	--skip-at-view	--force-install-list	0 1 2 3 100 101 102 103 104 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113	 | %MTEE%
    My site/generation would only load the components if you selected them for installation. So, you could exclude things you don't want. It would be:
    if exist Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	--language	{LANG ID from my database}	--skip-at-view	--force-install-list	{list of components from this mod that are set to install at this time}	 | %MTEE%
    Code-wise, it would go through each component in the database, with the load order that is set up. It would then check the cookie that is set when you mark a mod for installation, to make sure you want it. This would end up with something that looks like:
    if exist Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	--language	0	--skip-at-view	--force-install-list	0	 | %MTEE%
    if exist Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	--language	0	--skip-at-view	--force-install-list	1	 | %MTEE%
    if exist Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	Setup-bg2fixpack.exe	--language	0	--skip-at-view	--force-install-list	2	 | %MTEE%
    And so on... The lists would then be combined, so that things are installed without having to close the WeiDU install, start a new one for the next component, and repeat each time.

Why is the poll either-or?

Coding for both would be a pain. It can be done, but I don't see the point at the moment. I'd rather focus on one or the other. If there is a need, I'd make a generator for the other as well in future versions.
    This is the Internet, where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI.

What is IEMI?

#6 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
    • 488 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:45 AM

Well, forgive me if i'm wrong but SMM is dead, or at least not up to date, for nearly half a year. BWP instead is a project which covers the purpose of SMM with it's non-expert install (the goal is a tested playable game not only for modders but for gamers too). Also BWP covers more mods and is supported by a whole team of modders that guide our way to the best game ever. Being supported so much and with their amazing work with various tools, i think it's even less buggy that SMM (which was supposed to cover only the basic mods in order to be less buggy). So in my opinion, the choice is easy to made...

PS: If this Infinity Engine Installer is meant to be an auto installer like the one SMM uses that would be great! It's quick and easy!
    I love one-button installs... :)

PS2: I think Marvin has a point , BWP v6 was supposed to have a similar tool, so Michael why don't you contact with BWP team to help each other? ^_^

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:18 AM

Marvin

You need to download the BiG World Toolpack v5.4...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:37 AM

Marvin

But I'm talking about the v6 of BWP which hasn't been released yet. As far as I know, it will have an automatic installer.

Marvin

#9 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Well, forgive me if i'm wrong but SMM is dead, or at least not up to date, for nearly half a year. BWP instead is a project which covers the purpose of SMM with it's non-expert install (the goal is a tested playable game not only for modders but for gamers too). Also BWP covers more mods and is supported by a whole team of modders that guide our way to the best game ever. Being supported so much and with their amazing work with various tools, i think it's even less buggy that SMM (which was supposed to cover only the basic mods in order to be less buggy). So in my opinion, the choice is easy to made...

PS: If this Infinity Engine Installer is meant to be an auto installer like the one SMM uses that would be great! It's quick and easy!
    I love one-button installs... :)

PS2: I think Marvin has a point , BWP v6 was supposed to have a similar tool, so Michael why don't you contact with BWP team to help each other? ^_^

Well, I started this project in March. At the time, I didn't hear anything about BWP having anything similar. At that time, SMM was also at least fairly up to date. This project was designed to create up to date download/installation files that the SMM program would use. Since most of the load orders are taken from BWP, you get the accuracy and information of BWP, with the easier downloader/installer of SMM. Or, if people want me to use the BWP engine instaed to run the installs... Well, up to them. I'll design for whatever is wanted. :P
    I have contacted Leonardo. He read my PM, hasn't replied though. This is what I sent him yesterday:

Hi Leonardo,
    You may have seen a project of mine, IEMI. The site is most likely going to be re-geared to work with your project.

The purpose of this PM is to ask for permission to generate and distribute a custom version of your bat file.

The changes would be:
    - Lines 95/96 would contain:

echo.					Altered file generated by Michael Wallar's IEMI.
     echo.					http://iemi.rp-addict.com
    - Under each section, mods would be:
    if exist Setup-bg2fixpack.exe Setup-bg2fixpack.exe --language {language ID from database} --skip-at-view --force-install-list {all component IDs stored in cookies ("marked for installation")} | %MTEE%

This would allow people to make changes to the installation at the start. I also plan on generating files similar to the one that SMM uses for a download manager. So, downloading/installing mods would be as "simple" as:
    - Going to IEMI, and clicking on all components you wish to install.
    - Clicking on the "view conflicts" then "generate files" links to make the bat file, and be warned of any errors you have in your selection.
    - Using the list and a download manager, have all mods downloaded for you.
    - Must still extract and situate everything by hand, sadly...
    - Run your fixpack, and my altered version of your installer.

Is all of this OK with you?

-Michael

I have townloaded/used the Toolpack. You see "BiG World Install english v5.4.bat"? An altered version of that file is what IEMI would generate. Haven't used mtee.exe, though. When I run it, it doesn't seem to do anything.

But I'm talking about the v6 of BWP which hasn't been released yet. As far as I know, it will have an automatic installer.

Marvin

As far as I can see, v5.4 has an "automatic installer." The only non-automatic part about it is when readmes are displayed or some other minor choices (some romance options, I recall). What it lacks is a customizable installer that will also download/extract all your files as needed. SMM does this awesomely. It has been six months, and Moshi has not even read my PM to him... sooo, going to say that it should be fine to generate newer files for his program to use.

What is IEMI?

#10 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
    • 1912 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

I'm not sure that SMM is "dead", rather "Not Currently Supported". There are plenty of mods that are no longer actively supported by their creator, not supported but worked-around/tolerated by modders/players, all for several years, and somehow the term "dead" never seems to enter into conversation. In fact, if we look in our own install lists, we'll probably find at least one mod that fits this description.

SMM's main concept is great, solely needed by the beginner player. Michael, if you're designing IEMI to follow a similar philosophy, I commend you.

There's no reason why there can't be multiple installation methods, distinct from each other or cross-pollinating each others' techniques. Where do people think BiG World's installation method came from? So I would like to see IMEI come to fruition on its own.

#11 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

New version:
      v0.2.0
    This greatly improves the use of IEMI. You can now select mods you want to download, copy the generated text into the download manager (same one used by SMM), and go do something else while all your files are downloaded. There is a hidden feature where if you append &ver=x to the URL, you can specify which version of the mod you want to download. Only works if a valid mirror with that version is in the database.

SMM's main concept is great, solely needed by the beginner player. Michael, if you're designing IEMI to follow a similar philosophy, I commend you.

There's no reason why there can't be multiple installation methods, distinct from each other or cross-pollinating each others' techniques. Where do people think BiG World's installation method came from? So I would like to see IMEI come to fruition on its own.

Thanks. :)
    I am following SMM's concept. However, BiG's fixpacks are very helpful... IEMI isn't meant to be a new way of downloading/installing mods... It is meant to be Step 1. It is meant to be the place you go to for information, lists of components, download mirrors, and so on. Furthermore, it can download mods for you, and generate a more intimate install. I like BiG's fixpacks and such... so, think the best way to deliver a stable installation is to use what they've already made. This will just help with informing, downloading, and customizing your installation.

Perhaps later I can do some work with SMM. My files mostly date back into March, which was the last time I looked at SMM. Need a bit of a refresher, anyway.

EDIT: Whoops, downloader isn't working quite yet.

EDIT2: Downloader fixed, fixing a bug.

EDIT3: I've made/am making some changes to the download generator:
    If a version could not be found for the download, the code will fetch the latest version that a mirror is available for. It will then automatically update the database and assume that the latest version of a database's mirror is the latest version. If the latest mirror's link is broken, it will flag the mod as out of date for others to see.
    If a download link is broken, the mod's data will be flagged as out-of-date for others to see.

EDIT4: The install/uninstall buttons for single components used to "toggle" if it was installed. So, if you had two pages open, and click uninstall on the same component twice, it would uninstall the first time you click it, then install again - even though you clicked the uninstall icon. Toggling no longer happens - clicking a (-) uninstalls, and a (+) installs. Keeping in mind of course, that 'install' and 'uninstall' really mean 'mark for download/installation' and 'don't do anything with this component'.

Edited by Michael, 14 September 2008 - 04:31 PM.

What is IEMI?

#12 Michael

Michael

NullCascade

• 116 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:02 AM

K'aeloree, SConrad, and I have been discussing bringing IEMI onto SHS's server.

This changes development some, so I thought I'd post here. What does it mean? Well, it means that I'll be working more on getting IEMI's security/current features improved. Conrad and I are, I'm pretty sure, going to get IEMI linked into the SHS user database. Editing IEMI would then be based on being logged into SHS.

Leonardo and I have also talked a bit. The installation generator will wait until v6 of BiG World Project releases. Load orders/groups will also be redone after that.

So, not many new updates will be visible while I work on this. If anyone has any suggestion as to how I can improve a current feature, do let me know. :)

Edited by Michael, 15 September 2008 - 10:03 AM.

What is IEMI?

#13 Gelrof

Gelrof
    • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:18 AM

Since you would like some feedback, here is some... :)

The biggest thing I miss when trying to configuring an install is a comprehensive list of what (parts of) mods are incompatible with other mods.
    Since some of this information is known by some, it should be possible to create a sort of db link of incompatible mods or compatible mods.

I have noticed this seems to be "planned", but how are you planning on implementing this feature?

How I see it:
    A user has the possibility to choose mods or components of mods (this is already in place, yay!)
    When choosing a mod or a component, it should state a warning if this mod is incompatible with another mod or component and give me the option if I should keep the one I already had or that I like the one I would like to add more and replace it. If it's just a component, this should work on component level. Alternatively, you can have both, but state what could occur ingame.

What I also miss a lot is the option to just create a BG1, a BG2 or a BGT version.
    What could also be added is some sort of "basic" package of mods that are considered as core mods that (almost) every user should install. (Bugfixes are part of this and very stable mods that don't have incompatibilities for example.) These should not be forced of course, but could be offered as a basic starting package for inexperienced modders. A sort of "core" of BWP, but adding a BG1 only and a BG2 only version for example.

I'm probably rambling on and stating stuff you guys have already thought about, but I just wanted to spill my thoughts, maybe something sparks some new ideas with you guys. :)

#14 Leomar

Leomar
    • 1720 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for your response.

All things you mention (except a BG1 or BG2 install only) will include the new installation-tool. This is the reason, why we need more time to build this tool, so all incompatibilties are considered.

If this is done and work properly, we will release the new tool. After that we can think of implement new ideas, like BG1 and BG2 only installs.

Greetings Leomar
    A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
    but you have more choices or paths through the game.
    - Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#15 Gelrof

Gelrof
    • 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

Sounds perfect. Take your time to get it right. Better to wait a bit longer and get something (almost?) bugfree than to rush it out the doors and get a massive list of bugs and possible corrupted installs.
    Really great work you all are doing. But then again, this game deserves no less. :)