Rod of Refuge

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Konalan

Konalan

Jamie wants big BOOM!

• 91 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

Having trouble organizing your inventory? Can't stand walking to your stronghold just to store a couple items? Then this is the mod for you!

Rod of Refuge
Baldur's Gate II - Throne of Bhaal
Author: Konalan
Email: slarrabe@gmail.com

About this mod
-----------------------------------------

I came up with this idea after seeing a suggestion for a bank on the Spellhold Studios forums. While paging through my Dungeon Master's Guide I came across an item known as the Rod of Security which transports the character to a pocket paradise. I thought it might be a neat idea to incorporate something like this into Baldur's Gate II as a pocket plane for the Shadows of Amn portion of the game. Hence, this mod was born.

What the rod does
-----------------------------------------

The Rod of Refuge is a hybrid of the D&D Rod of Security and the spell, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion. Instead of transporting you to a pocket paradise, you are transported to a furnished, one-room house with two containers to store equipment. The rod is activated by placing it in your quick item slot. Upon activation you are transported to the Refuge. Activating the rod again will take you back to where you were before. You can use the rod as often as you please.

Location of the rod
------------------------------------------

I'm not going to tell you where the rod is located. What would be the fun in that? I'll give you a few hints, though.

Hint 1: Big cities always have plenty of souveniers.
Hint 2: It's a dead givaway.
Hint 3: Bow before your king!

EDIT: Fixed issues mentioned by Icendoan

This mod has been depreciated. Please download Konalan's Tweaks for this component.

Attached Files

Edited by Konalan, 26 March 2009 - 10:32 AM.

A compilation of my BG2 mods:
Konalan's Tweaks

#2 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

Wow, nice to see that you got it working!

Having a look at your tp2, you don't need to copy .bcs files, just COMPILE them, or, for your baldur.bcs, use this;

EXTEND_TOP baldur.bcs ~Refuge/Scripts/k0ref1.baf~

Also, you don't COPY_EXISTING something to EXTEND_TOP it, as EXTEND_TOP already lifts the script from the game, so you don't have to have 2 pointless lines in your mod.

There is no need for pre compilation, and it makes new versions easier to make. :)

EDIT: Hah! And a possibly fatal mistake uncovered. Please, never ship out your mod after you install it, because it will have the backup in it!

Icen

Edited by Icendoan, 15 November 2008 - 09:21 AM.

Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#3 Konalan

Konalan

Jamie wants big BOOM!

• 91 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:36 AM

Wow, nice to see that you got it working!

Having a look at your tp2, you don't need to copy .bcs files, just COMPILE them, or, for your baldur.bcs, use this;

EXTEND_TOP baldur.bcs ~Refuge/Scripts/k0ref1.baf~

Also, you don't COPY_EXISTING something to EXTEND_TOP it, as EXTEND_TOP already lifts the script from the game, so you don't have to have 2 pointless lines in your mod.

There is no need for pre compilation, and it makes new versions easier to make. :)

I based that particular code segment off of the Planar Sphere Return mod.

EDIT: Hah! And a possibly fatal mistake uncovered. Please, never ship out your mod after you install it, because it will have the backup in it!

Icen

Agh! :doh: I'll fix that right away! Forgot I had it installed.
Konalan's Tweaks

#4 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

sooo, it's good now is it?

just dl'd, be tryin' it out in the morning... if it's fixed that is.
LotN

#5 Konalan

Konalan

Jamie wants big BOOM!

• 91 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

Everything's good now, yes. I found another minor issue involving identifying the rod. Apparently every time you used it, it would need to be reidentified. You no longer need to identify it now.
Konalan's Tweaks

#6 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, i'm exited to try it out.

Edited by Lurker of the north, 15 November 2008 - 10:10 AM.

LotN

#7 Jenne

Jenne

Assault of The Mighty Feet is coming, beware!

• 85 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

That's great!

Although I would rather have a rod that can teleport me to my stronghold, rather than some random house. Much like the Planar Sphere Return, but for all the strongholds.

Nevertheless, good job. I will definitely try it out on my next run-through.

Elminster this, Elminster that. Give me 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse.

My personal blog - in Czech. You've been warned.
My DA account, although it isn't tended too much.

Posted Image

#8 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

Lovin' it so far!
:clap:
LotN

#9 -Julix-

-Julix-

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Hey, I'm playing this mod with BGT and just found the rod. After using it it brings me to that safe heaven but the rod is consumed and I don't have any way to leave!? Do I need to find a "back home" rod before getting there? If so, why would I store anything in a place to which I can't return?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :-)

Julix

#10 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

When using the rod moves from your quick slot to your inventory. You might need to make sure you have an free inventory slot.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev