Several spells bugged?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 -kthxbye-

-kthxbye-

Posted 27 November 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hi @ all, I have quite an issue with several spells.
I installed BG1+TosC+BG2+ToB, then patched them, and finally applied the Trilogy weidu v1.06, no other mods.
I noticed that the spell "Minor Spell Turning" (lvl 5 mage spell) does not fire the spell back at the original caster, but suppressed it instead. "Minor Spell Turning" won't end after absorbing 4 spell levels, but waits for the end of the spell indefinitely.
The spell "Death Ward" (lvl 4 cleric) does not prevent damage from the spell "Cause Serious Wounds" from Gauths (the small Beholders).
The spell "Death Spell" does not check the HD a png has, as it killed a lvl 11 Yoshimo without saving throw.
I noticed other spells with an odd behavior but I didn't think of a bug before now 'cause I noticed them when I was low-level.

Has anyone noticed those bugs?
(I don't have the log right now, but if it could be useful I will post it, just ask.)

Please excuse me for my English, and thank you in advance for your answers. :)

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:12 AM

This doesn't seem all that related to BGT-WeiDU, because no spells are modified. Could you please post the textual contents of your WeiDU.log?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 -kthxbye-

-kthxbye-

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:04 AM

Sure, here it is:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core: 1.06

It looks awfully short in comparison with the logs I saw in other topics.. :S

I apologize for not having it posted along with the question but I didn't have the laptop up and running.

I thought it could be a Weidu issue 'cause I remember I played BG2+ToB patched to the latest patch and using Death Ward and Minor Spell Turning without any problem. Anyway, prior to the install of weidu, I had to copypaste a file (AREAxxxx.bif, BG1) directly from the cd 'cause it seems it was skipped during installation process. After that weidu installed properly.

Thanks for the help! :)

#4 -kthxbye-

-kthxbye-

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:29 AM

Please excuse me for the double post, I couldn't edit the above post.
I've just tried starting a new SoU game, I ended up with a lvl 1 pg and a broken cutscene (Irenicus did not show), but I think it's an already submitted bug.
Anyway, I started a new ToB game, and tried out the Lesser Spell Turning spell. While I cannot guarantee that the spell will cease after having returned a total of 4 spell levels, in ToB the caster targeting my pg WILL take damage for the returned spell, even if the animation is broken (no "mirror" anim, no returning spell anim, just the damage).
I tried to test it again in my usual save, no good. The only difference is: I load my usual save clicking on "Baldur's Gate", while I started the ToB game by clicking on "BG: ToB" (quite obviously).
Shouldn't BG2 and BG2:ToB use the same files? I'm quite puzzled. :S

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

Strange. I'll have a look, but I wonder whether this issue is addressed by the BG2 Fixpack team. Perhaps you could try a game without BGT installed and see if the issue still exists, and then try it with the BG2 Fixpack.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:30 AM

I've just tried to redo the install of the whole game after a complete uninstall.
BG2 (no patch) worked fine, Lesser Spell Turning worked as expected, with both returned damage and animation.
BG2+ToB (no patch) didn't work, Lesser Spell Turning worked as I described above.
I then tried to launch BG2+ToB (no patch) in Win2000 compatibility mode: Lesser Spell Turning worked as expected, just without the protection animation (no "mirror" to protect the caster, but the returning spell animation did show).
BG2+ToB (patched) seems to work only after having launched the game in compatibility mode once (launched normal, didn't work; launched in Win2000 compatibility mode, worked; launched normal after that, worked).
I finally installed BGT-weidu 1.07 (in order to be able to launch a new BG2 game) and Lesser Spell Turning worked fine (without the "mirror" animation), both in a new BG1 game and in a new BG2:SoU game.
I didn't have to install the BG2 Fix.

I could test only the Lesser Spell Turning spell, but I think the same applies to all other spell problems. If not, I will post again, just for the information in case someone is interested.

I'm deeply sorry to have bothered you with a problem that, it seems, does not concern BGT. I played BG2+ToB several times 2 or 3 years ago and I didn't notice any spell problem, and the only difference between then and now is BGT, so I thought it was a BGT issue.
I have absolutely no idea of why the game should act as described above though, it seems quite illogic to me.
I'll start a new game now, hoping that it will all work well.
Thanks again for your help and time and, of course, for BGT. :)

#7 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

Perhaps you could flag the issue over at the G3 forums for BG2 Fixpack - maybe it is an issue that could be fixed (if not fixed already?)
http://forums.gibber...hp?showforum=74

--------------
Retired Modder

#8 -kthxbye-

-kthxbye-

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:47 AM

Done.
Here the link, if it could be useful: http://forums.gibber...showtopic=16158

Again, thanks. :)