Photo

Serious Slowdown

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

In my current playthrough, I am getting ready to head off to Spellhold and I decided to go ahead and clear out the Dark One quest so that I wouldn't have to bother with it when I got back and had to resurrect my love interest. However when I entered the area from the worldmap(I think it was called Temple Ruins or something to that effect), my game lagged to a snail's pace.

I was able to get the journal from Mazzy's dead companion and when I encountered two shadows. The game lagged a lot, but I was able to kill one of them, but then it took five minutes or so just for bottom half of the death message's text to appear. It then took ten minutes for me to be able to close the game.

I've encountered slow downs before when fighting mages(mostly when they use contingency) and some form of undead(I want to say they were shades), but this is a lot worse than anything I have encountered before. I'm fairly certain that it is some script as the lag doesn't occur when the game is paused. So does anyone have any ideas on what I need mess around with to get this, and if possible all the, lag to go away so I can play through this area?

P.S. There was also some werewolf named Amlah or something that I saw, but he just stood there.

P.P.S. Weidu log is attached.

Attached Files

#2 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

...So does anyone have any ideas on what I need mess around with to get this, and if possible all the, lag to go away so I can play through this area?

workarounds for the Stutter Bug by Jarno Mikkola

#3 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

Yeah.....none of those suggestions were really useful here. I found another topic on the subject, and after doing some experimentation, I've determined that whatever the problem is it occurs between the end of Irenicus's dungeon and Chapter 3. I've got a couple of ideas that I'm going to look into, but if anyone has any other ideas that they would like to share I could use some additional viewpoints.

Oh and I've already eliminated scripts, creatures, and characters as possible causes.

#4 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

Well thanks to my obsessiveness in maintaining saves, I've manage to pinpoint the problem. The problem originates from the inn at the Umar Hills. I'm not completely sure how, but before I got Umar Hills, I can CLUA myself to the temple with no problems. IF I go through the basic Umar Hills quests without going into the inn, then the problem does not occur. Specifically, I believe that the problem originates with an NPC named Moxen(CLFMOX.CRE) as one time when I went into the inn and CTRL+Yed him, I didn't seem to encounter the lag later.

I'm going to do some more testing to see if I can figure out what is going on, but if any of this reminds anyone of any bugs they have heard of, that would probably speed things up a bit.

#5 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

Alright I found the offensive part of the code.
IF
	Global("ShadowLordDead","GLOBAL",1)
	Detect(Player1)
	Global("CliffMoxenSeesPC","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		SetGlobal("CliffMoxenSeesPC","GLOBAL",1)
		CreateCreatureOffScreen("clfwlf",3) // Wolf
		ActionOverride("clfwlf",MoveBetweenAreas("AR1400",[3022.1795],3))
		Dialogue(Player1)
END

IF
	!Global("ShadowLordDead","GLOBAL",1)
	Detect(Player1)
	Global("CliffMoxenSeesPC","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		SetGlobal("CliffMoxenSeesPC","GLOBAL",1)
		CreateCreatureOffScreen("clfwlf",3) // Wolf
		ActionOverride("clfwlf",MoveBetweenAreas("AR1404",[3022.1795],3))
		Dialogue(Player1)
END

I'm guessing the reason that the time I killed him the problem didn't occur was because he didn't detect me. As far as I can tell, the CLFWOLF.cre file is fine as I was able to CLUA it in and finish up the quest. However the bug still remained after that, so anyone have any ideas on how to go about fixing this?(other than just nuking this bit of code and CLUA clfwolf that is)

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the NPCs and quests came from Every Mod and Dog. There were two versions of CLFMOX.bcs in my backup folders(one from planarsphere and one from p5tweaks). Neither of those versions fixed the problem.

Edited by Ranadiel, 22 December 2008 - 07:36 AM.

#6 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

How to gather clues when debugging stuttering

#7 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

:blink: From what I could get from that thread, it isn't really about the problem that I encountered. I wasn't not having characters suddenly stop for no reason, I was having my entire computer lag to the point of near crash because an NPC can't be moved into the desired area for some reason.

#8 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

:blink: From what I could get from that thread, it isn't really about the problem that I encountered. I wasn't not having characters suddenly stop for no reason, I was having my entire computer lag to the point of near crash because an NPC can't be moved into the desired area for some reason.

"That thread" gives a tool to check the scripts --area scripts, scripts on creatures, etc.-- that are firing to determine if they are causing or contributing to the problem. / "lagging"/ "suddenly stop for no reason" / "spotty, slow character movement" / "Choppy, Jerky Movement" / are all terms used to describe The Stutter Bug--which is what you have reported encountering.

Now, if you've narrowed the cause of your problem to a specific mod, great. Please ensure to also post your findings at the mod's forum, if any.

#9 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Now, if you've narrowed the cause of your problem to a specific mod, great. Please ensure to also post your findings at the mod's forum, if any.

I would post it in the mod's forum, but it seems that there hasn't been any activity there since 2006. And at that point the mod's author had apparently already forgotten most everything about programming in weidu.

I really wish that I knew why this code wasn't working for me though. This whole thing has just been weird. *sigh* Oh well I got past the problem. I have a save from right before the the bug occurs, so if anyone ever wants to try to figure out what went wrong, just let me know and I can get you the save. Otherwise, I am just going to consider this closed.

#10 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

We have a reported bug with "Every Mod and Dog" in our German forum, too. It is not solved, yet. I've asked the gamer to look at your problem, so he can say if this the same one. He found out, that the component "A Bhaalspawns Best Friend" is causing his problem. I know not much about the real bug of the gamer, so I'll come back if I get more informations about it.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 23 December 2008 - 12:02 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#11 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:11 AM

We have a reported bug with "Every Mod and Dog" in our German forum, too. It is not solved, yet. I've asked the gamer to look at your problem, so he can say if this the same one. He found out, that the component "A Bhaalspawns Best Friend" is causing his problem. I know not much about the real bug of the gamer, so I'll come back if I get more informations about it.

Greetings Leomar

Well that is the component that was causing the problem for me, so I'm betting it is the same problem.

Edited by Ranadiel, 23 December 2008 - 04:11 AM.

#12 --plague--

--plague--

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

It has been the same bug for me in countless installations of BWP...
Thank you very much for your workaround
My solution for the bug was to kick out EmaD out of my installation list
As I`m not experienced with reading Code or creating Fixes this bug is most likely to remain until a experienced modder encounters this bug in his installation
Merry Chrismas XD

#13 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:54 AM

If your installation contains one of the shapeshifter fixes, that recreates the weapon (refinements) you might want to delete the wolfm.itm in the second weapon slot of clfwlf.cre.
(In NI: Select clfwlf.cre, switch to edit tab, scroll down until you see Weapon 2, change to -1 and save.)

#14 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

That's right. Thanks to Taimon and White Agnus, to solve this mystery. We have a very long thread about that problem in the German forum. White Agnus has posted the corrected cre which we use in the next BW Fixpack. Additional I've attached the file here. Every Mod and Dog (EMaD) cause this problem.

[EDIT]

So if one has already received the quest to look for Bethana from Moxen in the Umar Hills Inn, it helps nothing to use the cre in this case. One needs a save where CLFWLF does not have spawned yet, so the deleted second wolfm.itm functions.

[2. EDIT]

The people who have no more a suitable save, copies (if available) the wolfm.itm from the Refinements\backup folder into the override.

Greetings Leomar

Attached Files

Edited by Leomar, 09 January 2009 - 09:27 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#15 --Mari--

--Mari--

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

That's right. Thanks to Taimon and White Agnus, to solve this mystery. We have a very long thread about that problem in the German forum. White Agnus has posted the corrected cre which we use in the next BW Fixpack. Additional I've attached the file here. Every Mod and Dog (EMaD) cause this problem.

[EDIT]

So if one has already received the quest to look for Bethana from Moxen in the Umar Hills Inn, it helps nothing to use the cre in this case. One needs a save where CLFWLF does not have spawned yet, so the deleted second wolfm.itm functions.

[2. EDIT]

The people who have no more a suitable save, copies (if available) the wolfm.itm from the Refinements\backup folder into the override.

Greetings Leomar

#16 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:59 AM

@Leomar
[2. EDIT]

thanks, that helped a lot.

#17 Jakar

Jakar
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:20 AM

In my Standard Big World 9.1.3 installation i've got lag too. Only thing that helped me surprisingly is killing several (3 to be precise, but in any order) non-group NPC's. What's weird, that it is enough to kill after the save, then i reload save and everything is ok. No lag, npc's alive. After i quit and restart the game, i've got lag again. And again i killed poor npc's, and the lag is gone.
I don't know if it work for all. I don't know if it means something, but i guess that there are desperate players like me who tried everything to make lag disappear. If someone would be interested, i'll gladly give logs and all needed information.