Performance issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:49 AM

Hi,

Recently my computer got souped up so that it could handle some powerful new games (specifically Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto IV and Mass Effect).

They all work now but the problem I have now is that some sequences in Planescape: Torment don't work well any longer (constant stopping etc). They're the scenes that are technically in gameplay but you have no control over them, eg. when The Transcendent One slaughters the Nameless One's companions in the Fortress of Regrets.

The game is still playable but the sequences moving so slow mean that the plot is basically lost and it's very irritating.

So I want to know if anyone has any ideas on what to do? The new graphics card I got is an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 series, if that helps.

Thanks

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:04 AM

It's an issue with NVidia cards being unable to handle certain spellcasting properly, due to NVidia being lazy about keeping their drivers backward compatible.

Some people have stated good results running the game on a Virtual Machine emulating Windows 98 or other older operating systems.

Another possible option is to reduce the hardware acceleration on your video card. In most cases, it does seem to result in mouse cursor trails being left on dialogue and option screens, but some people don't seem to mind that, so that may work for you too.

Qwinn

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

Another possible option is to reduce the hardware acceleration on your video card. In most cases, it does seem to result in mouse cursor trails being left on dialogue and option screens, but some people don't seem to mind that, so that may work for you too.

Could you specify the exact path where that is... with a path alike: Start -> Control Panel -> Etc. as I don't know where it is and I have foreign language Windows setup, so I can't search it. :crying:
Yes, I can translate the specific words, but the "hardware acceleration" is a bit harder... especially as I have no idea to what sub-directory and program etc. it belongs to. <_<
Thanks.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Qwinn

Thanks for the response, but I echo Jarno's question: what path do I take to get that? I'm hopeless with technical stuff in computers!

Thanks

#5 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

Unfortunately, it'd probably vary depending on the card.

On my own system, it's Start -> Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot.

There, you should find a slider that lets you turn it down notch by notch. You want to lower it as little as possible in such a way that resolves the problem. On my system, bringing it about halfway down resolved the spellcasting problem but then gives me mouse trails on dialogue boxes and such. Experiment and see if you can come up with something you can live with, is all I can suggest.

Qwinn

#6 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Unfortunately, it'd probably vary depending on the card.

On my own system, it's Start -> Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot.

There, you should find a slider that lets you turn it down notch by notch. You want to lower it as little as possible in such a way that resolves the problem. On my system, bringing it about halfway down resolved the spellcasting problem but then gives me mouse trails on dialogue boxes and such. Experiment and see if you can come up with something you can live with, is all I can suggest.

Qwinn

Found it by that method. Thanks very much for the help, Qwinn (also in the other thread) :)

I'll experiment with it and see how it goes.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

Ahh, and what do I do if there is a note in the Advanced: "This feature is not allowed by this card." ? <_< (NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT)

I might try to shut the card off from the Control Panel, but that's radical, a bit too much perhaps... ah, Ps:T, not today either I guess.

#8 -Sheer_FALACY-

-Sheer_FALACY-

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Ahh, and what do I do if there is a note in the Advanced: "This feature is not allowed by this card." ? <_< (NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT)

I might try to shut the card off from the Control Panel, but that's radical, a bit too much perhaps... ah, Ps:T, not today either I guess.

One way to solve this is:

Download and install the Microsoft Application Compatability Toolkit ( http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en )
Run the Compatability Administrator
Right click and create a new Application Fix on the "New Database" listed at the bottom - you can't change any of the other databases.
Choose where the app is, name the fix, etc
Probably want to choose "none" for operating system mode
Check off ForceDirectDrawEmulation from the list of Compatability Fixes
Once you're created the fix, right click it and select Install

And that's it. It's not that difficult, and it means you don't have to fiddle with the hardware acceleration slider every time you start up the game (especially useful if some idiot disabled the hardware acceleration slider on your video card - go NVIDIA!)

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the reminder, yes, I knew this before but newer got to using it, and now it works. ^_^