#1 No1

No1
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

Hi,

Since first issue of bg2 there were some problems concerning shapeshifting:
1) Shapeshifter form that didn't get stardard AD&D statistics
2) Dispel Magick bug

________________________________________________________________________________

Weimer answer - shapeshifter rebalancing

Advantages:
-fixed statistics
-fixed dispel bug

Disadvantages:
-manual method of shapeshifting
-infinite shapeshifting
-spellcasting while in werewolf form

Recap:
It was good, but the way of transforming was inapropriate, so shapeshifting wasn't fun anymore.

________________________________________________________________________________

Refinements - shapeshifting fix

Advantages:
-fixed statistics
-fixed dispel bug

Disadvantages:
-shapeshifting takes more time and stuns your character
-jerky animations ( sorry guys but it's true, when spl is cast every round animation of g.werewolf is weird)

Recap:
Better, but still not good ( irritating stun and animations )

USARF:

Advantages:
-fixed statistics
-fixed dispel bug
-option for spellcasting while changed*
-normal shapeshifting - by clicking icon with innate abilities
-right ammount of shifts
-instant shapeshifting
-correct animations

Disadvantages: ( you've been waiting for that huh ? :) )
-while in werewolf form immune to dispel magic**
-others that i'm not aware of

Appendix:
-*option for spellcasting - in future versions of mod I would like to add a HLA that gives you such ability
(exacly like you did with Feral Spirit ), and I know that would be a great boost to shapeshifter, but when 40 lvl standard druid faces 40 lvl sorcerer who will win ? Moreover - according to DND 3rd edition ( only one i've played ) druid could do that I think. What i'm 100 % sure is that there were some metamagic feats for mage that he could cast spells without words or gestures.
-**immunity to dispelling - this is hardcoded bug so IMHO this only right way to fix this, moreover:
1) very few of AI enemies are using it, and when sb want get buffed and then shapes info werewolf there are plenty of other that break them ( I would give you names, but I have polish version of the game )
2) it was mainly a bug because some of people dispelled claws giving some good weapon for shifter

To do in future version:
-get right werewolves statistics ( since it's only beta, and I wanted to share it with you, to show you how actually the script works )
-apply changes to shapeshifter kit
-getting a new HLA
-getting a new additional shift form ( for powergamer purposes only like Tactics or Improved Anvil )

Postscriptum:

PS:It's my first mod so be tolerant, I've installed DLTCEP few days ago :)
PS2:It was home made only for my purposes, but was suprised while watching this thing really works fine!
PS3:Please read README ( installation is rather manual than automatic )
PS4:Waiting for feedback and criticism :) ( write here, or PM )
PS5:Sorry for mistakes in english.
PS6:This installation won't damage your original game so feel free to download and install

No1

Attached Files

Edited by No1, 22 February 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#2 Helborn

Helborn
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

FYI AD&D (as distinct from D&D) on which Baldur's Gate series was based did not allow spellcasting while shapeshifted. It had to do with the somatic components disappearing while shapeshifted.

I have no objection to allowing it in the game but it was not a bug or omission in the original. There was a bug in the implementation - but that's another story. :whistling:

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

Has anyone tried this out? I'm interested to know how it is.

#4 -Silencer150-

-Silencer150-

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

I've tried both the Weimer and the Refinements versions of shapeshifter rebalancing, and have this to report. Even though Refinements is more "accurate" I have to say I agree with Weimer's reasoning. This is why, in the end, I reinstalled Weimer's version over my installation of Refinements (since I do like the HLA changes that Refinements offers).

For starters, I always play with Tactics, Ascension, and other powergaming mods that greatly raise the difficulty. Even with the "shapeshifter overpowering" in all its exploitable glory, the game is still very challenging. Secondly, in addition to the shapeshifting itself, the Weimer mod also gives druids additional priest spells that were previously only available to clerics, and modifies Conjure Animals so that the stupid spell is actually useful. Third, it does make sense that if races like Yuan-Ti, Githyanki, Sahuagin, etc. can all cast spells (and speak coherently) then why shouldn't werewolves be able to as well? I dislike being stunned while changing back, and I don't appreciate having to run away from battles in normal form (and thus risk being killed) just to recast my combat buffs.

That said, I like being given the option to cast spells that this mod includes. I haven't tested this mod just yet, but I intend to. I'm going to second the vote for an HLA that allows spellcasting while shifted. I know this option wasn't in the original AD&D, but then neither were HLA's if I'm not mistaken.

I would also suggest an option for scaling the werewolf's abilities as you level up, rather than just having a sudden leap to "greater werewolf" at level 13. Not only would this balance things out in the early game (or a Tutu / BGT game) this would also justify the proposed additional shift form.

#5 -Icarian-

-Icarian-

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

Just be sure to make the powergamer form an optional component. Not everyone wants cheese in their games.

"If you don't like it, just don't use it" isn't good enough. Personally, I'd never add a rules-breaking form at all, but if you absolutely must, please, make it optional, rather than built-in.

P.S.
Is it just me, or does the guy above sound suspiciously like Weimer in disguise?

#6 Silencer150

Silencer150
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

OK now that I've finally registered--

I tried the USARF fix and couldn't get it to work. The readme said that since the mod is still beta, the only way to test it is to use Shadowkeeper to add the abilities to your druid. However, after installation, I couldn't find these abilities on the Innate list anywhere, so I couldn't test it to see if it worked.

BTW is the author still working on this mod? I hope it hasn't been abandoned, because it's a good idea.

#7 yarpen

yarpen

Drunken Superhero

• 257 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:33 AM

But after Taimon's fix it's quite useless. Someone should emerge Refinement's shapeshifting stats with great Taimon's dispel spell fix so the spell doesn't remove druid's weapon. Immunity to dispel magic grants to powergamers A LOT of space for grinding and stuff.

#8 smoky tune

smoky tune
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

Personally I don't like the way Shapeshifting issues are fixed by Weimer's rebalansing.
Refinements is better, but not an ideal either. Thus I'm looking forward some other solution and your's seem to be most consequent.

Third, it does make sense that if races like Yuan-Ti, Githyanki, Sahuagin, etc. can all cast spells (and speak coherently) then why shouldn't werewolves be able to as well?

Because usual races cast spells involving vocals, while other races may perform it in some other way (I'm not sure about that 'cause I'm not much into FR guides and handbooks). But remember: shapeshifted druid cannot speak and therefor cannot initiate a dialog. So he shouldn't be able to cast spells normally. But I like the idea about HLA: with such an ability he could "learn to make a supernatural effort" or "learn to read spell in mind, just like mages with their vocalise or 3E feature mind spell (or what is it called there?)". At least hat makes sense for me. ^_^

I would also suggest an option for scaling the werewolf's abilities as you level up, rather than just having a sudden leap to "greater werewolf" at level 13. Not only would this balance things out in the early game (or a Tutu / BGT game) this would also justify the proposed additional shift form.

:new_thumbs: Thumbs up for that one. Moreover there's no need to make cheesy versions for those who like Tactics and all that stuff. Fixed Greater Werewolf is already powerful with all his enchantments and resistances, especially when they are summed up with those from items. If you want to improve GW anyway, this aslo can be implemented with HLA.

P.S. I've been replying without having read the last comment.
Is there any continuation for your work at present? I would love to see the Shapeshifting problem is finally resolved, as well as many others, I suppose.