• 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:13 AM

File Name: Unarmed Adjustments
File Submitter: Adul
File Submitted: 21 Apr 2009
File Category: Miscellaneous Released Mods
Forum: No Information
Readme: No Information

This is a tiny mod that addresses some issues with the unarmed attacks of classes that heavily rely on such attacks. The mod consists of two components, both of which can be installed separately (using WeiDU).

The first component changes the monk's fist attacks so that they're considered magical from level 6. Originally, the monk's fists became magical at level 9, which made it difficult for monks (especially in solo games) to kill foes that were immune to normal weapons at lower levels. This is especially true for monks started in BGT or Tutu. (The XP needed for level 9 is 225 000, while level 6 is only 27 500.)

The second component changes the werewolf attacks of the shapeshifter druid to deal slashing damage instead of piercing. Not only does it make more sense (in my opinion), but common foes often have a high resistance or even immunity to piercing damage, even at lower levels. This component also changes the Greater Werewolf's claws to +4 weapons instead of +2. This only applies to the enchantment rating of the claws, and will not actually change their damage or THAC0 bonuses. When making this change, I've had in mind the difficulties the shapshifter faces on higher levels, where many common foes have immunity to weapons with weaker enchantments.

NOTE: This mod will not change any of the in-game class/kit descriptions to reflect the new mechanics.

Click here to download this file

#2 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

Looks good! Tell me, will your monk component work okay with the Monk +3 AC and +1 THAC0 Bonus component of Lost Items? And is there any point in using your werewolf component if I'm also using Refinements' Shapeshifting Fix?

#3 Adul

Adul
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

The monk component should not have any conflicts with that mod, as it only modifies MFIST3.ITM, the monk's fist attack item used between levels 6 and 9. Although I'm not familiar with Lost Items, so I can't say for sure if it's compatible. Just in case, you could check if your override directory to see if it contains an MFIST3.ITM. If it doesn't, my mod won't conflict with any of your current mods.

As for Refinements, once again I don't know what the mod does exactly. Mine only changes the damage type and enchantment rating of the werewolf claws, so if that mod already does that, there's no reason to install mine.

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

Thanks, Adul.

The "Monk" folder in Lost Items contains only two files:

_AR2600.BAF
SWBOOKAC.SPL

So it looks like your mod will be fine with Lost Items. I'm not 100% sure, but I've looked at Refinements and I don't think there's a need to use your mod if that's already installed.

Thanks again.

#5 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

I'm loving the idea of both components, and will sure use at least one in a future installation.

The monk component should not have any conflicts with that mod, as it only modifies MFIST3.ITM, the monk's fist attack item used between levels 6 and 9. Although I'm not familiar with Lost Items, so I can't say for sure if it's compatible. Just in case, you could check if your override directory to see if it contains an MFIST3.ITM. If it doesn't, my mod won't conflict with any of your current mods.

The Monk Remix component of Sword and Fist mod makes the monk's fist magical at level 4:

- Fists are considered magical weapons at 4th level, +1 at 10th, +2 at 16th, +3 at 22nd, +4 at 28th, +5 at 34th, and +6 at 40th.

And presumably by patching MFIST3.ITM, not overwriting.

If your mod overwrite this file, would you be willing to use patching method (just borrow the code from Sword and Fist), and perhaps change the magical increments? Perhaps something like this--although this is not a recommendation, make any schedule you like (or like the player choose):
- Fists are considered magical weapons at 4th level, +1 at 9th, +2 at 15th, +3 at 21nd, +4 at 27th, +5 at 33th, and +6 at 40th.

I'm requesting this because it would be great to have the unarmed adjustments without having to install a whole new conversion to the monk class.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#6 Adul

Adul
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I'm not sure how it's done in Sword and Fist, the only solution I've found to changing the monk's attacks is making changes to the ITM files that are used by the monk class. Otherwise, it seems to be hard-coded, so the levels the monk gets the enhancements cannot be changed. Of course, I may be wrong there.

There might be a way to bypass the problem completely, and that is by using the opcode to create weapon items in the 'fist slot' of the character. However, I've been researching this method recently and it doesn't seem to be very reliable, especially in multiplayer. Sometimes the game forgets you had the items in your fist slot changed, sometimes it's there but cannot be selected properly, sometimes you can select both your original fists and the new modified ones. :wacko:

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

Sword and Fist patches those same monk fist items and it also patches the .exe, possibly to get around the very issues you describe. You should check it out...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle