Photo

Lowering Elemental Resistance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jewels

Jewels
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Using DLTCEP to create a spell, I'm attempting to lower the elemental resistances of targets using the same effect opcodes used to increase them, namely 27-30 and 84-85. The problem is that they just don't seem to work; I've tried cumulative, flat value and percentage, and regardless of the type used, target resistances remain the same.

At the moment I've been testing with Permanent (1) timing with resistances 0 and 2*. I can lower magic resistance, magic damage resistance and poison just fine using all three types, but with other resistances (elemental, slashing, crushing, piercing, missile) I'm unable to lower them.

* What exactly do the different resistance flags do? E.g. If a spell effect was to increase fire resistance, what would be the difference between 0-Nonmagical, 1-Dispel/Not bypass resistance, 2-Not dispel/Bypass resistance, and 3-Dispel/Bypass resistance? For that particular case using 2, I always thought the effect would bypass magic resistance (so it can be bestowed), and could not be dispelled.

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:41 PM

Using DLTCEP to create a spell, I'm attempting to lower the elemental resistances of targets using the same effect opcodes used to increase them, namely 27-30 and 84-85. The problem is that they just don't seem to work; I've tried cumulative, flat value and percentage, and regardless of the type used, target resistances remain the same.

So you've tried cumulative with a negative modifier? Could be it doesn't work for some resistances, despite what the IESDP says.

* What exactly do the different resistance flags do? E.g. If a spell effect was to increase fire resistance, what would be the difference between 0-Nonmagical, 1-Dispel/Not bypass resistance, 2-Not dispel/Bypass resistance, and 3-Dispel/Bypass resistance? For that particular case using 2, I always thought the effect would bypass magic resistance (so it can be bestowed), and could not be dispelled.

That is correct. 0 is really "Not dispel/Not bypass resistance."

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:34 AM

E.g. spin682.spl lowers fire resistance, if you want to sneak a peek at how it does it.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:27 AM

Yeah, as far as I know, the only usable way is to use the 27-31's with 'cumulative', and use the numbers above the 128 to actually lower the resistance, knowing the maximum to be 255, so for example the 205 is actually -50%.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 Jewels

Jewels
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

So you've tried cumulative with a negative modifier? Could be it doesn't work for some resistances, despite what the IESDP says.

I managed to get it working when I set the timing to duration. I guess some resistances can't be lowered permanently.

That is correct. 0 is really "Not dispel/Not bypass resistance."

Strange. Before when I set the magic resistance modifier to non-magical, the spell still managed to remove the magic resistance from a Bone Golem. I even CTRL+Q'd the golem before and after just to check.

Yeah, as far as I know, the only usable way is to use the 27-31's with 'cumulative', and use the numbers above the 128 to actually lower the resistance, knowing the maximum to be 255, so for example the 205 is actually -50%.

I know resistances range from -128 to 127, though I think that's just for display. I once had my magic resistance at 215% despite only 127 being shown, and it took three castings of Lower Resistance before 125 was shown.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:26 AM

Strange. Before when I set the magic resistance modifier to non-magical, the spell still managed to remove the magic resistance from a Bone Golem. I even CTRL+Q'd the golem before and after just to check.

I think some opcodes are hardcoded to ignore magic resistance. At least, that's the answer pro5 gave when I asked the same question as you a couple years back.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

0 - non-dispellable, bypasses MR
1 - dispellable, no MR bypass
2 - non-dispellable, no MR bypass
3 - dispellable, bypasses MR

Retired from modding.

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

0 - non-dispellable, bypasses MR
1 - dispellable, no MR bypass
2 - non-dispellable, no MR bypass
3 - dispellable, bypasses MR

DLTCEP has what Jewels said. So which is right, the IESDP or DLTCEP? If it's the former, I've got a buttload of items to fix, though I suppose I could run a fat patch across them all.

#9 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

I have DLTCEP v6.71 and it says what I wrote. In any case, 0 really does mean non-magical.

Retired from modding.

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

I have DLTCEP v6.71 and it says what I wrote. In any case, 0 really does mean non-magical.

Eh, well I have v7.1d and it says: 0-Nonmagical, 1-Dispel/Not bypass resistance, 2-Not dispel/Bypass resistance, and 3-Dispel/Bypass resistance. Meaning if 0 is also not dispel/bypass we have 2 codes for the same thing, and 3 for bypassing and only 1 for not bypassing. Also I'd assume Avenger changed it for a reason between your version and the current one, assuming he did it intentionally. Guess I could go spam the DLTCEP forum again to make sure...

Edit: Well I guess the consensus here is that 0 and 2 do basically the same thing (not dispellable, bypass resistance).

Edited by Miloch, 27 August 2009 - 02:53 AM.