• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

Hey there people,

I've been using NI for a while now to solve stuff, find stuff, and ... read stuff :devil:

The version I'm using is the one from the original site and an edited version of the .bat (where 128 -> 512. I figure more memory == less chance of dialog.tlk corruption :P) [attached the .bat for people to see] :P

Anyway, I keep hearing of these alternate versions of NI, one by Taimon and another by KungFuMan and yet another by devSin. There's also a NI project in Sourceforge :o

Well, this topic mainly asks 2 questions:
1. Which version should a non-modder-but-likely-to-lookup-the-codes type player like me use??
2. I use the bat file because, like the NI site says, Java doesn't allow upwards of 64 MB of memory to any app. The bat looks like a workaround. And I usually need to search the dialog.tlk for stuff. Do any of the newer versions "include" this workaround within the .jar??

Ok, one more :P

3. How far can the memory be increased?? Can i allocate 2048 MB of mem by just changing the 512 in the attached bat to 2048?? :blink:

Thanks for any answers,
Lol

Attached Files

Edited by Lollorian, 02 September 2009 - 08:26 PM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#2 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

1. Which version should a non-modder-but-likely-to-lookup-the-codes type player like me use??

Any one of them is likely to suit these needs.

Efforts are being made to integrate the changes made by the different versions into a single source; see here.

#3 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

For the 1024MB version and an alternative beta for that version, Look in your BP-BGT_Worldmap folder and the folder Near Infinity Patches. That's the largest and fastest one I know of.

EDIT: Those are just .bat replacements but I think you can figure it out from there.

Edited by Hoppy, 02 September 2009 - 09:03 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:06 AM

For the 1024MB version and an alternative beta for that version, Look in your BP-BGT_Worldmap folder and the folder Near Infinity Patches. That's the largest and fastest one I know of.

Yeah, download 60MB's mod just to use the <16KB file...

Attached Files

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

Efforts are being made to integrate the changes made by the different versions into a single source.

That's GREAT NEWS!!! :D And look at the timing ... that topic was started yesterday :D

I didn't know the Worldmap had those :P So, I just modded the .bat to 1024 and it works :coolthumb: But can it go higher?? :P

And another question, the number in the .bat, is that in MBs, or kBs ... and is it from the main memory or the virtual one?? (concerned for those with 512 M's of RAM and increasing the .bat for 1024 MB :o)

@Jarno: :ROFL:

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 03 September 2009 - 12:29 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#6 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:05 AM

-Xmxn
Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation
pool. This value must a multiple of 1024 greater than 2MB. Append
the letter k or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate
megabytes. The default value is chosen at runtime based on system
configuration. For more information, see HotSpot Ergonomics

#7 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:58 AM

Thanks Taimon :cheers: (although I'm in awe of YOU coming and viewing this thread :D I've seen and hear great things about you :Bow:)

Ok, so i've now (shall we say) "upgraded" to the Sourceforge one and with a 1GB bat (should be enough, right? :ermm:) Now that NI's becoming a team effort, this thread seems to have lost its purpose :D

Thanks everyone,
Lol