Photo

Bodhi [Fanart]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

So yes, I just found these forums (quick, seeing that I've been lurking around for around three years (or maybe six, I'm not best with time-feel). I have one BG fanart I've made some time ago so I thought I might just as well paste it here for some criticism or whatnot. I know some imperfections already, but I've been trying the new style on it and I've noticed them only later when I could throw some fresh eye on them, if I could say that. Well :rolleyes:

Hope someone likes it :unsure:

Attached Images

• Bodhi.jpg

Edited by Calliea, 18 October 2009 - 04:03 PM.

Without love there?s no happily ever after. Not even once upon a time.

The avatar is made from a picture by amazing NorthernBanshee. http://www.northernb....deviantart.com

#2 janka

janka
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

So yes, I just found these forums (quick, seeing that I've been lurking around for around three years (or maybe six, I'm not best with time-feel). I have one BG fanart I've made some time ago so I thought I might just as well paste it here for some criticism or whatnot. I know some imperfections already, but I've been trying the new style on it and I've noticed them only later when I could throw some fresh eye on them, if I could say that. Well :rolleyes:

Hope someone likes it :unsure:

Wow, she's great. I admire your skills in naturalistic, computer shading. I myself was never patient enough xD

Now I'll try to say something to help you improve her: the first thing that hit me (apart from the coolness) was the darkness of her face. I might be mistaken, but with all the almost-white highlights on her legs & arms you should propably try to lighten the face a little bit. Next: her hair. Hair is quite nasty to draw, and blurring it is difficult, I know. But you're really quite skilled with all of this, so I find her flame-looking hair quite unsatisfactory. Going on: her ear is far too light comparing to her face (improving the shadows on the face might change it though). The fang (is it a fang?): too light. Too long. Too... how to say, not 3-D-ish enough, if you undarstand my meaning? It looks like painted on her lip.
Her right leg seems to be too long. And I get the impression, that you cut off her feet. Don't do that! Anatomical/shadowing mistakes are easier to forget that cutting off feet. Characters need feet!

I feel guilty for pointing out so many "mistakes". I am sorry for that one - but, trust me, I wouldn't bother if I didn't like your piece. I just think it can be improved! (plus, you did ask for critisism.)
And, being an artist-wanna-be I always found the critisising comments more valuable. ^^"

Hope that helps (and does not bring your spirits down. it's a really, really good work. really)

You've got to be kidding me!

DA goes here

#3 Calliea

Calliea
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:00 PM

Ha, thanks :) Criticism is not a problem at all, it's most desired. Drawing this one took me around half an hour so I know that I've missed many details and I'm quite a newbie when it comes to light that is not straight on the face in the most kind-of-non-existent way.

The thing here is I've assumed the light was coming from the leg's side, so the face being further in the picture would have admittedly less of it, BUT I see now that giving a strong highlight on the eyelid I should've put more of it on the cheekbone or something. It is lacking.

And yeah the fang... True that. Looks like she's chewing on paper. My bad, I agree totally here :D

As for hair - it's blurry because entire picture is blurry. Usually I do them in completely different style like here, but I didn't see how such more detailed hair could fit in this picture.

And don't feel guilty! I appreciate your time :wub:

Edited by Calliea, 19 October 2009 - 02:01 PM.

Without love there?s no happily ever after. Not even once upon a time.

The avatar is made from a picture by amazing NorthernBanshee. http://www.northernb....deviantart.com

#4 flysoup

flysoup
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

I really like the 'feeling', you have captured the characteristics of Bodhi very well. It gives me a cold chill :)
"Chef of Goblin Pies"

#5 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

Nice pose!

What I really find interesting, though, is the way much of her body's implied, rather than explicitly drawn. Way cool concept :) .

While I agree with much of janka's crit, I actually kinda like the missing feet. They don't look cut off to me so much as they look hidden in more shadow, like much of Bodhi's body. In fact, I say cut off a little more :D (I think there's more of that forearm than there needs to be; it looks a bit awkward as is).
(I like parentheses.)

#6 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

Now, my artistic skill is limited to stick figures in Paint, so I can't give you any constructive criticism. Only praise. This is gorgeous!

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!