Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:22 AM

File Name: Varshoon - an Illithid NPC
File Submitter: Lava Del'Vortel
File Submitted: 21 Oct 2009
File Category: Miscellaneous Released Mods

Want to have a non-human ally, but still don't want a god-like NPC? Want to know more about the mysterious and exotic race known as the illithid? Will you risk placing your trust into a creature who is a monster only concerned with gathering knowledge? If you are willing to take this risk - join Varshoon. Each of you can learn something more about the race of the other. Well, I should tell you what to do to have this mysterious ally join you; basically, you will need a decent amount of intellect. And what if you don't? Well, you'll have to find that out for yourself. I won't reveal that kind of surprise...
This mod adds to the game a new and unique NPC - Varshoon the Illithid. He has his own kit of Psionic Forcer. Varshoon is a mental warrior. He joins with his own special equipment and it cannot be replaced with any other items.
Varshoon will converse with you many times during the game. There are timed talks, area/item triggered talks and others! Those together create a new "Respect Path" for this NPC. There are also banters and group banters (with 2 other NPC's instead of 1) with all Bioware NPC's. This mod also modifies the normal quest area of the Illithid Tunnels in the Underdark.
This mod includes a new and much better paperdoll made by myself and Erephine.

Click here to download this file

#2 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:19 AM

Congratulations on release!

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#3 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

Thx! Now it's only SoA, but if some people will like the mod, I will definitely write ToB portion! :)

#4 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:26 AM

Congratulations on release :) This NPC sounds very promising and I would like to meet him in the future :)

#5 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

Great job, Lava! I'll have to do a new reinstall but I'll definitely play him. Since I've had the honour of playing him and helping to proofread I can't wait to see how he is now. :D Personally I like him and find him interesting. I hope others give him a go!

Edit - if there are typos or grammar mistakes let them be known and blame me, not Lava. These are my first attempts at really helping out a modder.

Thanks, Lava!

Edited by Ankhes, 21 October 2009 - 08:38 AM.

#6 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

Ankes, it's only one type :P I think that the mod without any typos etc doesn't exist :P ;)
Dreamer, maybe one day you will give this mod a shot :) Well, I hope that after some days, maybe weeks there will be any good opinion about the project :P

#7 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

Congrats! I won't be able to start a new game in a while, but I'll definitely give him a try in the future.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#8 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:09 AM

Also why not advertise these mods - this one and Aerie be gone on PPG, CoM and G3? Hidden here not many people will even know they exist.
I'll be giving them a go.

#9 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Because I am too shy to do so...? :P Illithid NPC is a bit "different" one and Quayle NPC isn't very big one... I think they are "ok mods", but not as good one as Saerileth, Fade etc. Are they really worth advertiseing? I don't even know if someone like the them :P

#10 -drusilla-

-drusilla-

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Do i have to start a new game to able get Varshoon in my party?
and where I can find Varshoon?

#11 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:50 PM

You don't have to start a new game. He can be found in the sewers under Athkatla. You will need a key to Illithid's little location. However to join him as I remember your character needs a high intelligence :)

#12 Ankhes

Ankhes
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

You don't have to start a new game. He can be found in the sewers under Athkatla. You will need a key to Illithid's little location. However to join him as I remember your character needs a high intelligence :)

I don't know how high of an intelligence but I am always at 16 or so as a mage. Anyway, if you use G3 Tweaks and select the "no traps or locks" (it is AWESOME!) feature you can just either force the door open or have a thief attempt to unlock it and it will do so easily. In other words, you won't need the key. If you are already familiar with the NTNL feature you can just unlock the Planar Sphere as well. The more places you go with Varshoon the better, so I say the earlier you get him the better especially if you want to gain good influence with him.

I've already found a few minor speech errors so please forgive me. I should have re-read the files before the initial corrections. Lava was too fast and released him and now he won't go back to him to correct my mistakes! :crying:

But that's okay. He's working on a major NPC who's looking great so far!

#13 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thx! Now it's only SoA, but if some people will like the mod, I will definitely write ToB portion! :)

ToB! ToB! ToB!
It's always a bit sad (and actually also not great in terms of caracter development, XP etc.) to have to change to another NPC in ToB. There's only one who's new there (ignoring mod NPCs) and one doesn't always want to take him with oneself...
And come on, everybody would like to know what you'd make up for the final fight / ending. :)

#14 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:16 PM

Wow :P I would never thought that someone is still interested in this one! :D I would probably add only small content for ToB, because (to be honest) I don't have any big ideas for that part of the game, but... I will think about it :)

Thanks for playing the mod! I hope you enjoyed it! ^_^

#15 Lisandro

Lisandro
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

Hi.

It's a very interesting mod, when you finish it, if you want... I would like to make the spanish translation.

#16 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:14 AM

Of course... however first it must be finished :P Thx, that may give me some motivation, Lisandro! :cheers:

#17 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

Of course... however first it must be finished :P Thx, that may give me some motivation, Lisandro! :cheers:

We wish TOB PART! :D

#18 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

I may have a bad news... You know, I can't feel the character any longer and I believe that it's pointless to force yourself on doing something - usually nothing good comes from that.
However, I decided that there should be at lest *something* in ToB, so I wrote few short dialogues with charname. So, I just uploaded the new version. It includes 4 talks with charname, few interjections, possibility to call Varshoon via Fate Spirit (note that you still need at least 15 intelligence to call him) and bonus one event when you find Skull of a Lich, which may make Varshoon a bit stronger. What's more now you may choose not to install new paperdoll which may look strange on Kwiat_W's GUI. And the last note is that now project is traified.

Well, that would be all. If I do something more about Varshoon, that's probably only bugfixing (if you find any bugs and report them :P)

Oh, and again thanks to Lollorian for his help! Yollow Lord was quite helpful - as always! :Bow:

#19 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

An update!

Changes: New portraits! Oh, and probably you'd be interested in some new ToB banters... did I mention the portrait?!
Posted Image

PS. Izzy took care of proofreading! She's a great help to me :hug:

Edited by Lava Del'Vortel, 02 April 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#20 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:04 AM

An update!

Changes: New portraits! Oh, and probably you'd be interested in some new ToB banters... did I mention the portrait?!
Posted Image

PS. Izzy took care of proofreading! She's a great help to me :hug:

Are you interested in translating Varshoon into Polish? I suggested it once to you (and I could probably do it in my spare time... [if I have it - it's as rare as a pot of gold on a rainbow])