Photo

GreyHawk Artifacts 1

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:16 AM

The hand and eye of Vecna, or to be more precise the Hand of Rhin and the eye of Qwill
Two Artifacts straight from the realm of Greyhawk.
They pay NO heed to game ballance, just as true artifacts should, but using them can be costly!
They are introduced to the game by replacing the ring of Kangax and the staff of the Magi,

Instalation notes
BG2 patch ( with or without TOB )
Both teleport and vecna are standard WeiDU installs compatible with most others, developed on a full Big World V8 install.
Copy contents of archive to bg2 instalation folder
INSTAL TELEPORT FIRST
The teleport near innate abblility can and will break the game if not used proprly.
Included with vecna is the lvl 50 patch which extends the game to lv 50 and includes the grand mastery patch.
If you find you dont like this mod just run again to deinstall.

Credits
Teleport
Lvl50
WeiDU
NearInfinity
the Eye BAM that i used
AD&D Rev2

alex.ecad@gmail.com

Ok time to launch the Beta Quest version of Greyhawk Artifacts
(It has certainly grown!)

V8 Changes

30 "new" monsters
4 new areas
2 new spells
Teleport and Lv50 are no longer included in the archive, Teleport is still highly advisable ( INSTALL FIRST)

Read this post for an effective spoiler

V10

The first finished and checked version

" Something evil is being born in the Astral Plane, Dark powers gather to revive an evil the Gods themselves fear, do you have the will and power to become involved and not end up dust? "

There is a cowled figure in the council of six building that requires you attention, only attend 25th Lv +.

Or if you miss him other signs will surely find you

At the end of the quest true Greyhawk Artifacts await whatever survivors remain

Please install a up to date version of teleport first,
Checked and developed on BWP
Unpack the RAR into your BG2 directory, run, follow the prompts etc, a standard WeiDU install

Edited by jube, 05 January 2010 - 01:44 AM.

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

They pay NO heed to game ballance

:(

Nice idea though, I always thought the Greyhawk artifacts (and artifacts in general) to be very cool. And really, they should ultimately be *bad* items for your character if used too much. A bit like cursed items - there is some thread somewhere where Salk and I discussed this (I think, unless we discussed it over PMs).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:44 PM

They pay NO heed to game ballance

:(

Nice idea though, I always thought the Greyhawk artifacts (and artifacts in general) to be very cool. And really, they should ultimately be *bad* items for your character if used too much. A bit like cursed items - there is some thread somewhere where Salk and I discussed this (I think, unless we discussed it over PMs).

Yep totally agreed, and these do exactly that, if you play them you will see that although they give you some godlike powers taken as a whole you might think twice about using them :) Also like any true artifact they are like a F1 car, takes a long time to learn but once you do BOY

Please post any install problems or incompatibilities

PS some of the effects ( both good and bad ) are not covered in lums description , or indeed how to get round them, he simply did not know .

#4 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

The Eye and Hand of Vecna are the kind of thing you'd usually base an entire campaign around, rather than just having them turn up. But then again, they're replacing two of the most powerful items in BG2, so I guess it all works out.

Personally I'd suck anyone who gets both straight into Ravenloft. :devil: I think Vecna is stuck there as a Domain Lord during this time period.

Edit: (Actually I think the presence of a portion of Bhaal would prevent that from happening. The Powers aren't interested in gods.)

How closely have you kept to the books in what terrible things the artifacts do to their bearer, especially both at once?

Edited by Arkenor, 07 December 2009 - 04:29 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#5 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:13 AM

The Eye and Hand of Vecna are the kind of thing you'd usually base an entire campaign around, rather than just having them turn up. But then again, they're replacing two of the most powerful items in BG2, so I guess it all works out.

Personally I'd suck anyone who gets both straight into Ravenloft. :devil: I think Vecna is stuck there as a Domain Lord during this time period.

Edit: (Actually I think the presence of a portion of Bhaal would prevent that from happening. The Powers aren't interested in gods.)

How closely have you kept to the books in what terrible things the artifacts do to their bearer, especially both at once?

Did the best i could, my history of the hand and eye make it clear that the hand and eye existed before vecna, he kept the fact that he found them in on of his many planular jaunts obliviously secret. But the gods know well the true origin of the items. The fact that he still lives ( in a way ) after he was forcibly removed from the items is a testimonial to his raw power.
The story that is in the item description is i hope worthy of a true GrayHawk artifact, i would love any comments on it especially from the knowledgeable people on this site
Equipping either one of them is a one way process, and straight from the manual there are a host of minor and major Benign and Malevolent effects. My inexperience with game modding prevent me from implementing the worst bad effect of accelerated aging ( indeed that is why Vecna became a Lich after all, only immortals survive more than 10 years bearing these horrid things ).And the vbest effect ( Works on all planes ) But the final result of owning the items is i hope still the same, a sense of not wanting them but fearing to lose their power.
At end of day though as they stand they come out a touch too much on the positive side, that is ignoring the fact that one loses the Staff of the Magi which is one hell of an item with NO bad side.

Edited by jube, 08 December 2009 - 05:11 AM.

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:56 AM

That was a quote without a reply... :blink:

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:12 AM

That was a quote without a reply... :blink:

Sorry was modifying it :)

#8 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:56 AM

Why do you include Razfallow's mod "Teleport Spell" in your mod? If Razfallow update his mod, you must update your mod, too, and you need Razfallow's allowance to put it in your archieve. The best for all is, like you do, to advise the gamer for the important installation order. But then, show them the link to the recent version of the "Teleport Spell", so they can get the mod there. Don't put it in your archieve.

By the way, the recent version of the "Teleport Spell" is v14 and you can get it at BWL:
http://dragonshoard....oad.php?mod=274

Thanks for checking of the compatibility of your mod with the BWP. But we don't like such mods. Not the content, that is fine, but you replace two important items in the game. If a gamer installs a full BWP-version (and they do it often), then they get no attention of the changes and it could be that they don't like it during the game. And we could get reports, like "hey, where is the ring of Kangax, I can't find/get it"... We try to avoid such things in the BWP.

Is there no possibility to add the two items to the game instead of replacing? Or, you could do two components. One replace the items and one adds them, so the gamer can choose.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

You should have to do some outrageous quest for these, and probably not get both at once and/or part with a huge sum of gold before obtaining either.

Of course, you could always mislead potential seekers of the Hand or Eye with the old Head of Vecna trick quest too...

#10 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:33 AM

Why do you include Razfallow's mod "Teleport Spell" in your mod? If Razfallow update his mod, you must update your mod, too, and you need Razfallow's allowance to put it in your archieve. The best for all is, like you do, to advise the gamer for the important installation order. But then, show them the link to the recent version of the "Teleport Spell", so they can get the mod there. Don't put it in your archieve.

By the way, the recent version of the "Teleport Spell" is v14 and you can get it at BWL:
http://dragonshoard....oad.php?mod=274

Thanks for checking of the compatibility of your mod with the BWP. But we don't like such mods. Not the content, that is fine, but you replace two important items in the game. If a gamer installs a full BWP-version (and they do it often), then they get no attention of the changes and it could be that they don't like it during the game. And we could get reports, like "hey, where is the ring of Kangax, I can't find/get it"... We try to avoid such things in the BWP.

Is there no possibility to add the two items to the game instead of replacing? Or, you could do two components. One replace the items and one adds them, so the gamer can choose.

Greetings Leomar

Hi thanks for the heads up the Teleport, i only included it in the archive because it features in one of the innate abilities bestowed by the hand but will modify archive and just put the link in which is far the best way. yes i know that means i have to update Grayhawk Artifacts with teleport, but thats ok.
Yes totally plan to turn the items into a quest, the simplest way would be add to a store and charge about 150,000 each but just cant justify how they would end up for sale, as a oldtime DM that just rubbed!
So thought would release it as was to get feedback. Am putting together a popper modding package of utils from posts on various sites, as soon as thats done will take couple of weeks to lash up a bloody impossible mini quest for them, but eventually would like to learn all the touches and add some new content ( unique bams etc etc ) to them.
BWP totally ROCKS, the project got me interested in modding in the first place.
Looks like creating CREs is quite straightforward but would also like to make the graphics
I am extreamly open to ideas on the quest, i am thinking some big full on fight between powers in Forgotten Realms and powers in Grayhawk, ie Avatars of Elminster and Tenser on the astral, that the players get caught up in.
At the moment am making sure everything works in the vanilla game but am thinking of making the quest mod BWP only not sure.
Have included lv50 in the archive should i also make that a link?
Also have notice past 25th level in BG2 get a little stale, p&p AD+D comes alive past 20th lv ( the planes, gods, time travel, creating magic items etc etc ) would like to create resources to give BG2 that same P+P headroom, having to mod to be compatible with the vanilla game just kills that.
Modding for BWP is better since you can expect most characters to get over lv30 and be able to partake in such quests.

#11 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:37 AM

You should have to do some outrageous quest for these, and probably not get both at once and/or part with a huge sum of gold before obtaining either.

Of course, you could always mislead potential seekers of the Hand or Eye with the old Head of Vecna trick quest too...

Any suggestions are more than welcome!!

#12 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:12 AM

I agree that a quest would make my day :D

From what I hear, these two items have a truckload of lore attached to them, so that's all the incentive for a new quest ;) (maybe it could acquaint non-FRers like me with actually why these two are so famous ... atleast in-game :P)

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#13 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

Ok here is V5, teleport removed from within the archive and just a DL link in the readme
Also some extra work and compatibility fixes to the items
Have all my ie modding tools now so a quest mod should be about 2 weeks away, have lots of ideas, but any are welcome

Attached Files

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

Have all my ie modding tools now so a quest mod should be about 2 weeks away, have lots of ideas, but any are welcome

Two weeks to do a quest mod? You're either overly optimistic or a modding demon :D.

I dunno, maybe you could dig around for the original supplements that featured them and whatever quest you needed to do to get them. It should be more intricate than your standard "hunt down and kill some baddie" routine. There should be fake Hands and Eyes scattered about too, merchants trying to pawn them off on unsuspecting adventurers. So it'll be tough to find the real ones, heh. (Then there's the merchant claiming to have the mummified Private Parts of Vecna, which grant awe-inspiring superpowers to their bearer, but you have to cut off... eh, nevermind :whistling:).

#15 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

It is normally not needed to put it in your mod, too. There are some mods, which introduce the Level-50 ruleset and it is used with the BWP. So a link should be fine, too. ;)

By the way, you use an very old WeiDU.exe and you should replace it with the recent one (v212 at the moment).

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 11 December 2009 - 08:55 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#16 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:30 AM

It is normally not needed to put it in your mod, too. There are some mods, which introduce the Level-50 ruleset and it is used with the BWP. So a link should be fine, too. ;)

By the way, you use an very old WeiDU.exe and you should replace it with the recent one (v212 at the moment).

Greetings Leomar

Ok will give the user the option, but included Lv50 cos played BW a lot and passing through lv25 as a mu is not correct to p+p
whereas the lv50 ( non WeiDU ) hlas i found at sorcerers apply p+p lv progression perfectly all the way to lv 50 ( but only checked for mu and mu-fighter )

But suppose academic cos certainly will not include it in quest mod.

#17 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

Two weeks to do a quest mod? You're either overly optimistic or a modding demon :D.

I dunno, maybe you could dig around for the original supplements that featured them and whatever quest you needed to do to get them. It should be more intricate than your standard "hunt down and kill some baddie" routine. There should be fake Hands and Eyes scattered about too, merchants trying to pawn them off on unsuspecting adventurers. So it'll be tough to find the real ones, heh. (Then there's the merchant claiming to have the mummified Private Parts of Vecna, which grant awe-inspiring superpowers to their bearer, but you have to cut off... eh, nevermind :whistling:).

2 Weeks not that optimistic, have the advantage of being professional coder ( embedded systems ) and with all the moding tools being very mature, and lots of guides, cant see any major problems. Not that confident with VC++ so not picking up TOBex yet until refresh myself on Visual studio, ( and until have updated the project to VB7 )-

Love the idea of a false quest, but was not going to make the items a quest.

My ideas are based on the following background ( taken from the item description )

"Most sages know and tell the tale of Vecna the greatest of the arch liches and it goes something like this

"Many tales are told of the Archlich Vecna.
It is said that Vecna was one of the Planes' mightiest sorcerers, able to draw life from dust and send it back again, extinguish lives with a glance, and make the earth shudder beneath his touch. He was said to be so powerful that when the end of his life drew near, death refused to take him into its kingdom.
And so Vecna died, yet lived on.
Abandoned by death, Vecna became the master of a vast kingdom on a prime world called Oerth. Neither kind nor just, Lord Vecna's rule was one of great horror and suffering, and it is said his reach was so great that even the Powers of Oerth feared to cross him, for fearing of drawing his eye.
Yet, while Vecna's gaze traveled ever outward in search of new conquests, he failed to see his own end when it came for him... in the form of his lieutenant, Kas.
As was fitting for Vecna's left hand servant, the Archlich had fashioned a terrible weapon for his lieutenant as a symbol of his authority. Vecna made this weapon with such skill it is said that part of the sorcerer entered the blade, and it was this sliver of Vecna that gave the blade its life and its treacherous nature. Where once there was lifeless steel, there became thought, intent, and, perhaps most horrible of all, a voice.
The sword whispered treacheries to the ambitious Kas, night upon night, month upon month, year upon year, until one night, the remains of Kas' discipline was seduced by the rippling edge of the blade. Convinced by his blade that he was Vecna's superior, Kas confronted his dread master upon his Dessicated Throne, and the two of them fought a terrible battle.
During the battle, Kas was killed, but before he fell, his blade had dismembered his former master, scattering his remains so that no one may draw them together again. And so it has come to pass that pieces of Vecna have made their way across the Planes... one of these is the hand of Vecna. It carries with it a bloody, violent history, so much so that many scholars refuse to speak of its treacheries, for fear the hand will come to them, seeking to add another victim to its bloody chronology.
The hand of Vecna was instrumental in the extermination of the House of Hyeric, once the ruling dynasty in Nyrond. It is said to have been behind the sundering of the Conclave of Tyssis-on-the-Sea, which led to the three-cycle war that poisoned the seas of Malhatai and left the oceanic world barren of life. On the ashen Plane of Ghalentir, it possessed the gentle father of Sasaran, a babe with the potential to lead his suffering people from their shadowed lands to the Gates of Paradise... had not the hand drove Sasaran's father to murder his son as he lay sleeping in his crib. All these kingdoms, all these futures, the hand of Vecna laid waste."

but some greater scholars ( Elminster for one ! ) have asked questions of this tale, questions such as "why did Vecna become a lich", "how did this ,admittedly powerful, undead mage gain the ability to dominate a part of a plane and inspire enough fear in the greater and lesser gods to keep it! " and " If vecna was cut to pieces by the sword of Kass why did only the hand and eye go on to become artifacts "

The answer to these questions lies in the true tale of Arch Mage Vecna and the real nature of the hand and eye, a tale that is revealed to you, now that you are one of the small group of people and creatures to have held the hand.

To understand the power of the hand and its history we must start at the beginning with a understanding of the planes and the nature of Gods.
The multiverse you stand in is complex beast, most sages give the model of a wheel or onion, and a common description is as follows

"Since they are without form or dimension, it is not possible to draw a road-map of the
planes and their relationships to each other. However, there is a structure and organization to them which can best be visualized as a series of spheres, one inside the other.

The Prime Material Planes
At the very center of this series of spheres are the Prime Material planes. These are the planes most familiar to Greyhawk creatures. The prime material planes include the many Earth-like alternate worlds and campaigns that operate from the more or less the same basic realities. There may be variations from prime to prime, but most features remain the same. The inhabitants of each prime always refer to their plane as the Prime Material Plane.

The Ethereal Planes
Surrounding each Prime Material plane is a separate Ethereal plane. The Ethereal planes are misty realms of proto-matter. Nothing is solid on these planes. In the Ethereal planes, there may be small pockets or islands of matter known as demiplanes. These demi-planes are sometimes the creations of extremely powerful wizards,technologists, or demi-gods.

The Inner Planes
Using the sphere analogy, outside of the Primes and the Ethereal planes are the inner planes, the primary building forces of the multiverse. The inner planes consist of the elemental, para-elemental, and quasi-elemental planes, and the planes of energy. The elemental planes are the building blocks of matter?Air, Water, Fire, and Earth. Where the elemental planes touch each other there arise the para-elemental planes?Smoke, Ice, Ooze, and Magma. The Energy planes are the Positive Energy plane (also called the Plane of Life) and the Negative Energy plane (the source of entropy). The quasielemental planes exist where the elemental planes touch the Energy planes?Lightning, Steam, Minerals, and Radiance around the Positive Energy plane, and Salt, Vacuum, Ash, and Dust around the Negative Energy plane. Many of the planes have their own creatures and rulers who are sometimes summoned to one of the primes through spells or magical items.

The Astral Plane
Beyond the inner planes (continuing with the spheres) is the Astral plane. Like the Ethereal planes, this plane serves as a connector between the different realities. It links the various Primes to each other (one travels from one Prime to another by crossing the Astral plane, not the Ethereals) and connects each Prime to the outer planes. The Astral plane is a barren place with only rare bits of solid matter. Indeed, the most common feature is the silver cords of travelers in the plane. These cords are the lifelines that keep travelers of the Plane from becoming lost, stretching all the way back to the traveler's point of origin.

The Outer Planes
Finally, outside all else are the Outer Planes, also called the Planes of Power. There are 17 known Outer Planes?there may be more. These planes can be reached only by powerful spells or by crossing the Astral plane. Each outer plane is unique. Some seem quite similar to the primes; others have terrain and physical laws wildly different from that to which the characters may be accustomed. Magic functions differently on each plane as do many other common assumptions of reality.Powerful beings (self-proclaimed gods, goddesses, and demi-gods) inhabit these planes along with a full range of other life forms. The outer planes are the final resting place of the spirits of intelligent life forms of the Prime Material planes. The known outer planes have been named by humans. Some of these names are:

Mechanus
Arcadia
Mount Celestia
Bytopia
Elysium
Beastlands
Olympus
Ysgard
Limbo
Pandemonium
The Abyss
Carceri
Gray Waste
Gehenna
Baator
Acheron
The Outlands"

But this common model is just that, a simple model to understand the hand we need more!

All the inner planes are finite in terms of size, but too big to comprehend.
All the inner planes share the same time space.

The Prime material plane is made up of many worlds separated by space, arranged as galaxys,suns,planets etc
The Elemental planes, negative material and positive material are basically continuous having no planets etc

The ethereal plane separates and connects all the inner planes, but to be more accurate it is not a plane at all. When any two things in this multiverse are brought together in physical contact ( cup and ball ) there is never a point in space where a line can be drawn between the two, if one looks close enough one sees a gradual transition from the particles of what can be called the cup to the particles of what can be called the ball. The same is true of the planes, where the prime material joins the negative material (for example ) there is no sudden transition, there is a grey area where the prime and negative are effectively the same, this is the ethereal "plane".

In the same manner the astral plane is the membrane between all the outer planes , the alternate primes and the alternate ethereals

The fundamental forces within the inner planes are gravity and magic, both are a result of the ethereal membrane, how exactly this occurs is beyond the scope of this explanation.

Now very brief discussion on gods and other powers of the multiverse, and here I quote my good friend Cuthbert

"Gods are formed by worship
There are three tiers of gods (ignoring pantheons ).
The elder gods..... Zeus Odin Ra etc.. They are all powerful in their respective planes and very old, they work through avatars and the leaser gods they command, They control the fate of souls of devoted that travel to their realm after death.
The new gods..... Helm, Omah, Mysteria......... These new gods are spawned every time the universe has a cycle change, not as powerful as the old gods, often perishing in battles or fading through lack of worship, only a few tend to survive cycle changes and progress to becoming elder gods. They exist on parts of the outer planes, with the permission of the elder gods who control the respective alignment plane.
Elemental deities, Heroes, Demi gods, Powerful humans....A host of these creatures exist, displaying in measure godlike power and abilities, sometimes worshiped by cults but rarely gaining enough worship to progress to spawning clerics and new god status.

NB... Gods are not the most powerful beings in the universe, this accolade belongs to the elder beings. Creatures that were here before gods and in some cases before the universe itself was made and oh yes, 2 humans.
"

The ethereal plane is not a uniform membrane, the barrier has countless folds tunnels, knots and holes so passage through the ethereal plane can be random at best ( indeed that is why the teleport spell can lead one to appear in a rock or a week in the past! ) this also leads to areas within the prime material where the fundamental forces can vary in strength and it is in one of these places, where magic is so faint as to be undetectable, that our tale begins.

There once was a small world at the edge of a magic less galaxy that was home to many humans, they lived without mages clerics or supernatural beings, and even the gods of the outer planes could not send their avatars through the natural barrier of folded ethereal membrane ( with a few extremely rare exceptions ).

Naturally these humans, as all humans seem to be, were a warlike race, and without magic or gods they waged war with weapons and machines, time passed, their numbers grew and so did their intelligence, yet the wars still raged, now fought with machines that could inflict damage on a scale unimaginable by even the greatest arch mage, still their intelligence grew, still the wars raged, still the machines got more powerful. One would think this cycle would stop but on this one world ( maybe unique in the multiverse ) it did not.

Finally 2 great nations formed and without pause went to war, huge machines fought each other to destruction all over the globe and in nearby space. the two sides were equally matched in intelligence skill and ruthlessness so the war raged for 500 years then there was born a man ( on the NearAsia side ) who?s intelligence and evil could not be measured and who?s name is now cursed by gods themselves. Dr Hastur

He used his godlike intelligence to create a great thinking machine into which he poured his very soul, his very life-force, leaving his body a lifeless husk, this machine serviced by countless minor machines and humans was given the task of once and for all defeating the NearAEura forces, and so the great machine went to work. Unfortunately no one thought to check the work and no one wandered weather Dr Hasturs evil could be within the machine along with his life-force, the war was raging after all! Until exactly 1 year later from a fully automated underground bunker the brothers emerged.

Two human like machines, golems with powers to destroy mountains and indeed they did end the war. The first day they destroyed all the war machines of both sides, the second day they killed all the human warriors of both sides! In fact any creature which could put up the slightest challenge. Then having nothing left to kill they simply went to sleep watched over by the great machine ( now serviced exclusively by other machines ).

The flood of souls from this cataclysm did not go unnoticed in the outer planes, indeed Zeus himself ordered a expedition of greater Olympian deities to find out what was going on, since no avatar could penetrate the ethereal distortions it was decided to ask one of the uber powerful elder beings to help, and curious herself Phoenix agreed, so finally, after some good humored debate as to which god would go, Phoenix flew to the Sol system carrying an avatar of Hermes in her talons, punching a hole in the ethereal membrane ( as only an elder being can do ) and bringing magic to sol for the first time.

So it was exactly one year after the twins were "born" that Hermes stood on Sol and marveled at the carnage.
The presence of such a powerful somehow being awoke 11 and 12 ( the "names" the great machine had assigned the 2 brothers ) who thinking they were facing a powerful human warrior who had somehow avoided their gaze, did battle with relish.

They had a moment of surprise before Hermes turned them into 2 piles of molten scrap.
Although the twins had power to destroy mountains and physical strength greater than Hercules himself, they had never seen magic before, they were venerable to the simplest cantrip let alone spells cast by an higher god they could not even teleport!

Thinking the problem solved and the souls of the brave human warriors avenged Hermes left to the important task of converting as much of this virgin galaxy to the Olympian pantheon as possible before the other gods of the outer planes found the hole left by Phoenix and came to fight for worshipers.

But Hermes was not Helm! Hermes, Quicksilver, on feet of wings always a little too quick even with his gods eyes did not see the great machine observing the battle with the twins, did not see tiny machines recovering the memory components of 11 and 12, did not notice the great machine once again working.

100 years roll by and memory of the great machine and the cataclysm of Sol passed into history, sol was now a peaceful place having turned its back on the technology that was blamed for the cataclysm, clerics and the worship of Zeus flourished, all seemed well. Yet in a remote valley beneath a river the great machine had been working hard, and from the same bunker emerged Rhin and Qwill.

Stronger faster and more sophisticated than their predecessors, they appeared almost human ( apart from the rather obvious 3 eyes and six fingered hands ), but more than that they were clothed in regenerating flesh essential to contain the magical forces the great machine had analyzed and copied during its observation of Hermes. And what power it was ! They started life as arch mages with no limit on further progression, they could learn and gain experience, more than that they had the ability to effortlessly travel through the ethereal at least as well as Hermes!

As everything else had been upgraded so had the brothers wisdom, they could laugh joke and philosophies, yet their basic nature remained the same, they wanted only to fight and kill worthy opponents and in the process become better killers.
So pausing only to enjoy their first sunrise they slipped through the now permanent membrane hole into the multiverse proper.

The next few weeks saw the mysterious disappearance of many great heroes, demigods and powerful beings throughout widely dispersed locations within the prime material, as the two carved a bloody path gaining magic ability and experience at a exponential rate, the gods made oblivious by powerful anti divination magic?s weaved into the brothers did not see their peril till Rin and Qwill stood before the gates of Olympus politely asking to see Hermes.

Naturally Zeus is not to be underestimated, he was warned of the twins arrival centuries back by the fates and warned of the danger, but he was a elder god after all and arrogant in his power especially in his home plane. Thus the twins were greeted by most of the Olympian pantheon reigned against them. The battle raged for 12 hours, Zeus commanded the very substance of Olympus to fight against the intruders, yet Qwill held equilibrium by forming a direct gate to the negative material, and in the equilibrium Rhin dealt with the Olympians. The titans died first, only a few remained to retreat after the first salvo of energy and magic bolts that came from Rhin the rest of the battle was no less bloody, by sun fall Zeus had retreated badly wounded and the rest of the gods were fighting a retreat in the face of both the twins now active ( Qwill no longer had to hold equilibrium since Zeus was out of the picture ). It seemed all was lost for the Olympian gods, then at the last moment Zeus in his desperation allowed access to Olympus, and accepted help from anyone who would give it, And help came.

Suddenly the twins faced not only the Olympians but Odin and the Norse pantheon (avatars) and Ra and the Egyptian pantheon (avatars) the combined magical and physical force of these gods smashed into the pair and for a second it seemed that their time was up. But Rhin just smiled for the twins knew they had been given power by the great machine that they had dare not use, until now, power copied from a brief glimpse of phoenix before she had left the sol system, power of an elder being, such was the nature of this power that it had a good chance of destroying the twins if their bodies could not contain it. The twins gambled, and the gamble paid of. Most of the avatars were destroyed in seconds, such was the savagery that Odin lost his real eye as a force wave blew his avatar apart and rippled back down the silver cord to his real body.

Now bright as the sun with pure force the two turned their attention to what remained of the Olympians but before they could unleash the bolt that would turn Olympus into powder chance smiled on the gods. For two others came to see what the commotion was all about, not gods , not heroes, but 2 Elder beings.

Ballor one eye was the first daemon, indeed all daemon kind were created ( by various dark gods )as a homage to this being.
Jack the Bodiless was half human half something else and was the greatest of his race of Psionic operant masters.

The two were good friends after having a bit of a rumble a few centuries back, and were having tea in a very nice spot of the astral plane when they sensed an almighty disturbance in the astral membrane, so naturally they went to have a look.

They were taken aback and a little angry when on arrival the twins took them for enemies and attacked, then when Rhin actually drew blood ( Ballors ) and Qwill managed to give jack a headache, then they revealed their true forms and power.

Such was the force unleashed in that next second that some sages to the gods have theorized that the multiverse was set of balance at that moment, and all the climactic ages from that moment to now have been a consequence of that one exchange of fire.

Rhin and Qwill battled bravely and fiercely pushing their body integrity to the limit. Yet they were forced back, forced from Olympus, forced from the astral and finally fought back to the prime. There the battle paused, becoming very tired and having made their point Ballor and Jack left the twins buried under a mountain of rubble, and as a parting shot destroyed the great machine ( with a telekinetic bolt from jack which re/arranged that continent ! )
Over the next day all sides took a breather and licked their wounds, the gods especially Olympus had lost many, the twins had lost the great machine which meant no resurrection, and Jack and Ballor had left going back to whatever business Elder beings have.

This still left the gods in a dilemma, when the twins came back , which surely they would, there would be no elder beings there to save them. But the situation had changed, the great machine was gone which meant the soul of Dr Hastur was now in Hades and no longer tied to the machine, this Zeus knew and after a did of bargaining gained access to.

And so Zeus learned the weaknesses of his enemies, and a fatal weakness it was, the two were created in parts and activated by the assembly of the last part, In the case of Rhin the left hand and with Qwill the central eye. Thus if these pieces were to be removed the machines would become inactive. It was Loki greatest of all thieves who took on the task, armed with Dr Hasturs removal instructions, skill, whit and concealment only the greatest of thieves could achieve, the deed was done.

Yet Dr Hastur even after his death managed to shield his creations, by withholding from Zeus one final secret, once deactivated the twins would be automatically teleported back to their birth bunker a location that even the doctor did not know, the whereabouts were destroyed along with the great machine.

Thus Loki was left alone holding just an eye and hand,

Over the next few millennia much effort was spent trying to find that bunker, but no trace was ever found, as for the eye and hand it was found that these 2 artifacts contained much power, even though they were the weakest parts of Rhin and Qwill, they were still parts of god killers. it was also found with the proper enchantments the items could be grafted onto mortals and godlings alike and that power used to a fashion, but with some nasty side effects.

So time moved on, the hand and eye being the centre of many intrigues and fights between the ever warring gods, passing from one god to another, eventually being rejected by all gods because of the trouble ( power imbalances ) owning them caused, eventually passing into the realm of heroes and mortals.

Obviously the true tale of these items was lost as the generations passed, of mortals and gods alike since the multiverse was now prone to strange cycles where even gods could die, and as each new owner claimed it for themselves."

Given this background i am thinking the eye-hand would only be found on the astral plane, either guarded by avatars of gods or in possession of some very powerful being. Thus why not create a new BG2 spell Plane Shift, basically copy the teleport spell and modify to bring party to astral plane, which would be a custom area from which they could get to the artifacts and other very high lvl adventures.

#18 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:33 AM

Posted Image ... :clap: :Bow:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#19 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

Why thank you, always nice to get positive responses :cheers:

Hmm seems like quite a lot of work for the quest version, but getting there, just cracked the first bit of teleporting party there with spell, use global variable to activate a area trigger.
But everyone is correct i think, to do nice job will take much longer then 2 weeks, still think i can release a playable " no frills" version before Christmas though

#20 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Gosh, I finally read the entire thing ^_^ That's really something you have there, but one question, are those names in the story real FR guys?? Phoenix, Ballor, Jack?? I know that the AoM gods are known from the FR wiki :P

But I gotta hand it to ya, that story has 2010, Matrix and Dragonball all rolled into one neat package :lol:

Thus why not create a new BG2 spell Plane Shift, basically copy the teleport spell and modify to bring party to astral plane, which would be a custom area from which they could get to the artifacts and other very high lvl adventures.

Well, all I can say is, that spell seems to be only meant for this quest, but it can be seriously expanded :devil: (like optional dungeon maps or more of these "what-really-happened" areas :woot:)

Imbalancing you say?? Well, how bout these areas give NO XP?? :devil: (hey, since they're "astral" you won't have any memories of what happened when you return ... other than the swanky new Vecna hand :P)

PS: How do you explain the Robe of Vecna btw?? Machines don't usually use robes :P especially a sentient "the Machine"-type machine like the 'Great Machine" (which is what Vecna is afaict :P)

PS2: And what about this?? :P Wikipedia entry on Vecna (check history)

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 13 December 2009 - 06:18 PM.