[BG2:ToB] TobEx Release Thread

• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#1 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

If TobEx does not load for you, you may need to download and install the Visual C++ 2008 Runtime Libraries: http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=29
-------------------------------------------

Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)
Author: Ascension64
github: github.com/Ascension64/TobEx

WARNING: This utility modifies the game executable BGMain.exe. This can be a source of game crashes. Use at your own risk.

Summary
-------
TobEx (Throne of Bhaal Extender) is a dynamic link library (DLL) written in C++ that fixes game engine bugs and extends the game engine by modifying the virtual image of the Throne of Bhaal BGMain.exe in memory.

The first component labelled "TobEx - Core" is the minimum requirement to use TobEx. This component installs all the files required to use TobEx.

The remaining components are "Extras". Please see TobEx/TobEx_redist/TobEx_ini.txt for descriptions of the following components:

-Apply Concentration Check On Damage [WIP]
Instead of always being interrupted when hit, spellcasters have a chance of their spells being interrupted.
This is governed by a concentration check.
A spellcaster passes the concentration check if (1D20 + luck) > (spell level + damage taken).
The details of this component are subject to change.

-Awaken On Damage
Creatures will awaken from sleep when hit.

-Blindness As Spell Description
Blindness gives -4 to hit and 4 point armor penalty as per the Blindness spell description in the game.

-Disable Stoneskin Grey Colour [C]
Removes grey colour change to a character who has cast Stoneskin.
[C] This component is identical to tob_hacks, SCS, and SCSII.

-No Spell Interruption On Zero Damage
Spellcasting is not interrupted if a creature takes zero damage (i.e. immune).

-Use Caster Level On Mirror Image [C]
When trying to dispel Mirror Image, the chance of dispel is modified by the caster's level.
[C] This component is identical to tob_hacks, SCS, SCSII, and Spell Revisions.

-Allow All Races to Dual Class
Enables all races to dual class, rather than just humans.

-Allow Equipping Armor in Combat
Enables changing armor during combat.

-Disable Experience Boost
Disables the hard-coded feature where the party gains 110% of the experience actually coded in creatures.

-Disable Force Inventory Pause
In single player, if the game is unpaused before entering the inventory screen, the game will not automatically pause.

-Disable Silence On Charm
This component does two things:
1. Prevents creatures from losing their soundset when they are charmed.
2. Enables the player to start dialogue with charmed creatures.

-Level One Proficiency Restrictions
Restricts the number of proficiency stars that can be given into one proficiency during character generation for level one characters.
This component only has an effect on people who play Baldur's Gate Trillgy-WeiDU.

-Remain Hidden On Pickpocket Success [C]
If a character is invisible or improved invisible, a successful pickpocket does not break invisibility.
Hide In Shadows will still terminate at the end of the round.
[C] This component is NOT compatible with tob_hacks.

-Rest Spawns Advance Time
If resting is interrupted by spawns, a random amount of time up to, but not including, eight hours will pass.
All resting times of one hour or greater will display in the dialogue bar. Resting times less than one hour will not display in the dialogue bar.

-Dialogue Greeting Subtitles
Similar to Baldur's Gate I, this component displays the greeting string reference in the dialogue bar when initiating dialogue.

-Enable Animation Attack Sounds
This component enables animation-specific attack sounds, which makes combat a little more polyphonic... perhaps musical, or messy.

-Universal Four Inventory Weapon Slots
Gives all playable classes four weapon slots in the inventory like fighters.
This only changes the inventory display and not the quick bar at the bottom of the screen.

-Subtitles For Standard Soundsets
Adds subtitles for the male and female soundsets that ship with vanilla Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. (English only)

-Remove all race-class restrictions
Enables all classes to all races, except for dwarven paladins because dwarves do not meet the charisma requirement to be paladins.

-Drop Inventory on Disintegrate/Frozen Death/Stone Death

In three separate components, whenever a creature dies by disintegration, shattering cold, or shattering petrification, all inventory is dropped just like dying normally.

-Enable Auto-Pause On All Screens
In single player, auto-pause will work when the player is currently viewing any screen. Previously, auto-pause would only work in single player when the player is currently viewing the main game screen.

-Make All Attack Animations Genuine Attacks

Removes all the 'fake' attacks, where creatures would display an attack animation, but would not actually roll to hit.

Requirements
------------
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal version 26498 is required.

This utility will not install on other versions of Throne of Bhaal.
This utility will not work on Macintosh systems.

Installation, Re-installation, Uninstallation
---------------------------------------------
1. Extract the TobEx_<version>.rar archive to your game directory.
2. Run Setup-TobEx.exe in the installation directory.
3. Follow the on-screen prompts to install, re-install, or uninstall components.
4. Install all your other modifications.
5. Start the game normally by running BGMain.exe.
6. You will know TobEx is running in the background if an extra console window pops up before the game starts. If this does not occur, you can start the game using TobExLoader.exe instead.

Troubleshooting
---------------
First, make sure that TobEx is actually the issue.
You can forcefully disable TobEx from running by renaming TobEx.dll in your game directory.

For more debugging information:
1. Open TobEx_ini/TobExCore.ini in a simple text editor.
2. Under the [Debug] section, set all values of 0 to 1.
3. Try to reproduce your error in-game. TobEx may sometimes reports some extra information about the error.
4. Report any errors you find on the Spellhold Studios forums. Expect to be asked to attach a .zip of your saved game folder, WeiDU.log, TobEx.log, TobExCore.ini, and TobExTweak.ini.

Compatibility
-------------
A redistributable version of TobEx identical to the "TobEx - Core" component of this modification may be packaged within other modifications.
If this is the case, installation automatically detects if an update is necessary and updates accordingly.
Installation will continue without any changes if no update is required.
There is no requirement for any special user action.

It is recommended that TobEx be installed as the first modification in a multi-modification installation.

TobEx may have compatibility issues with mods that directly modify the executable.

Please apply the troubleshooting tips above if you are having trouble and believe you may be experiencing compatibility issues with other modifications.

Modifications that modify the executable (in alphabetical order):
-1PP Extended Palette Entries
-1PP Female Dwarves
-1PP Thieves Galore
-A6CharmPatch
-A6XPPatch
-Aurora's Shoes and Boots
-Fishing For Trouble
-Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU (BGT-WeiDU)
-Infinity Animations
-Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS)
-Sword Coast Stratagems II (SCSII)
-Spell Revisions
-tb#tweaks
-tob_hacks
-tob_inject
-Widescreen mod
-Various experience cap patches

Modders and Developers
----------------------
Please see TobEx/TobEx_redist/readme/readme.txt for more information.

The source code for the program is included with compile notes in the ./TobEx/src directory.

Revision History
----------------
Please see TobEx/TobEx_redist/readme/revisions.txt.

Credits
-------
-BioWare for creating the Infinity Engine and its games
-Contributors to the Infinity Engine Structure Description Project (IESDP) for data structure information
-GemRB developers for providing further data structure information
-Taimon for ToB_hacks and his research
-The Infinity Engine modding community for their support

Download
http://www.shsforums...bhaal-extender/

Edited by Ascension64, 24 March 2013 - 05:24 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#2 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

4. KitScroll - adds working scroll bars to kit selection panel (requires putting included guicg.chu into override to facilitate this), eliminating need for kit removal utilities

WOW!!! :Bow: I'm pretty excited about this component, but somehow, the loader just crashes when I select the main class (the page with the Barb and Sorcerer)

To be certain, I have the 24698 patch, I have guicg.chu in the override, and I have the ToB CD in the drive and my OS is XP Home (x86). So, you just launch the game by running ToBExLauncher, right?? I used this WeiDU.log to test the kitscrolling:

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Divine Remix Core Components (Required for Everything)
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #100 // Cleric Remix
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #103 // Install Silverstar of Selune Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #106 // Install Nightcloak of Shar Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #109 // Install Battleguard of Tempus Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #112 // Install Painbearer of Ilmater Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #115 // Install Firewalker of Kossuth Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #118 // Install Authlim of Iyachtu Xvim Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #121 // Install Lorekeeper of Oghma Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #124 // Install Heartwarder of Sune Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #127 // Install Feywarden of Corellon Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #130 // Install Strifeleader of Cyric Cleric Kit
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #600 // Install Battleguard of Tempus Kit for Branwen
~DIVINE_REMIX/SETUP-DIVINE_REMIX.TP2~ #0 #610 // Install Nightcloak of Shar Kit for Viconia
~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #5 // Priest of Oron Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #6 // Priest of Lahan-Riyashal Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #7 // Priest of Thieron Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #8 // Priest of Cathoun Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #9 // Priest of Yathar Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Priest of Uulix Kit (WARNING: Only 9 priests kits are possible at any one time, including BioWare defaults.)
~SETUP-ASHESOFEMBERS.TP2~ #0 #11 // Pit Fighter Kit
I can load an old game just fine, but if I create a new guy, it crashes on reaching the Kit screen (the screen doesn't even show up)

I disabled the Kit scroll thing from the .ini and I could select kits again :o On re-enabling, the crashes started again. (and it doesn't matter if I choose Bard ... with no new kits or Cleric ... with 15 new kits, both crash)

I also noticed that the drwtsn32 debugger fires up for a moment when it crashes, and then goes away. And the baldur.err and .log don't have anything to say other than ".... Start Logging Session ..."

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#3 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Wow. Between this and Infinity Animations, we are truly living in exciting times for BG modding. So many more possibilities becoming available.
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

If you get a Windows exception error box, click on the hyperlink. Can you tell me what the values of ModName and Offset are?

Otherwise, perhaps I haven't included all the right DLLs. Try putting these extra ones in the BG2 install directory.

Edited by Ascension64, 24 February 2010 - 01:01 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#5 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

Unfortunately, the new .dll's don't seem to affect anything (I even tried renaming them one by one to mfc4.dll :P ... it gave me c++ runtime errors, which were expected :lol:) And I don't get an error box, I just saw drwtsn32.exe firing in the task manager during the crash (is it something XPHome-related??)

Does any kinda antivir need to be stopped?? I guess they mess with anything messing with memory :P

EDIT: Damn I can be stupid :doh: I disabled error reporting :P Here's the cody :D

AppName: bgmain.exe	 AppVer: 2.5.0.2	 ModName: tobex.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0	 Offset: 000028a0

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 10 December 2009 - 08:04 PM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

OK, I updated the download a bit. Give it a try now. That'll teach me to assume memory offsets are static.
And it turns out that I did implement version checking, so if you do use a BGMain.exe other than 26498 the loader will tell you you have the wrong version.

Edited by Ascension64, 10 December 2009 - 11:10 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#7 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

OMGOMGOMGOMG :Bow: :clap: :Bow: :clap: :Bow:

It works great now :o Just have a look:

Time for the BWP to look at kits :devil:

Cheers,
Lol

Attached Images

• Baldr000.png
  • Baldr001.png

Edited by Lollorian, 10 December 2009 - 11:26 PM.

#8 Arianyr

Arianyr
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

This is brilliant!!!!

Injecting and hooking would allow for so many more exiting mods... this could very well be a great step in modding the infinity engine.

#9 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

Ok, just reporting that the scroll thingy works great in W_GUI and Widescreen too (or both as well :P)

And btw, would this be compatible with Taimon's great ToB hacks?? :D (hell, could they be integrated into this non-patching mod??)

Cheers,
Lol

#10 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:50 AM

i uploaded a final alpha version - has a small fix so dragging the slider works correctly - and has a readme.

I think it is OK, but I would be cautious when using this with Taimon's hacks - his SONGLIST.2DA patch may conflict with this one, so don't use them together. I had considered coding his hacks in to eliminate the need for mass EXE patching, but I just don't have the time to work on this.

It is true that like OBSE is to Oblivion, TobEx is to ToB. You can add all kinds of things - new effects, new script triggers and actions, new GUI options, etc. And it is clean, it does not hard-code any changes, and the worst thing that happens is that the game crashes. For some things like kit selection, you don't even have to be forced to use TobEx the whole time - just start the game with the loader, choose your kit, then every subsequent time you play, run the game without the loader. If in time we start adding new effects etc., then TobEx becomes a staple requirement to launch such a modded game.

The project did involve quite a bit of reversing, and all the kit work here involves fully reversed functions in the game. The downside is that it is extremely time consuming (as Taimon would testify as well), which is why I cannot work on this project anymore. I release this in the hopes that someone would be willing to pick it up and do something fantastic with it.

Oh well, that's it from me then.

Edited by Ascension64, 11 December 2009 - 04:06 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

Nifty. Is there a maximum number of kits displayable now, or is it theoretically unlimited?

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:12 AM

Theoretically unlimited. I do not know if BioWare puts a limit on the 2DA row count size.

--------------
Retired Modder

#13 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:54 AM

Congrats Ascension64, I'll definitely have a look at this.
Sadly, like yourself, I currently don't have much time to work on the Infinity Engine.

Thanks for sharing!

#14 -Ragura-

-Ragura-

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for making this application!

However, mine fails to start xD I'm running Windows 7 32bit and I get a "FindFirstFileA: the system can not find the file specified" error.

Is this because I installed the widescreen mod first?

#15 -Ragura-

-Ragura-

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

However, mine fails to start xD I'm running Windows 7 32bit and I get a "FindFirstFileA: the system can not find the file specified" error.

I should really register so I can edit >_<

Anyway, disregard this, as BG2 itself doesn't start anymore either :( I merely performed a BWP installation, then ran your launcher... Should I have first tried running BG2 before using the launcher or is it impossible to have affected anything? When trying to run BG2 the normal way, it just doesn't do anything after I click on Play.

#16 -Jeroen-

-Jeroen-

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

I seem to be able to always get the same error with the kit selector. It's enabled in the ini and more than nine are present. When, during character generation, I click the class name and expect the kit selector, I get this error:

Assertion failed!
Program: g:\bg2\BGMain.exe
File: .\src\CGameUI.cpp
Line: 500

Expression: pBtOption11 != NULL

(And then the usual assertion text)

The .chu file is placed in my override. Turning off KitScroll fixes the bug but obviously doesn't allow me to scroll through the list of kits. Classes with nine kits or less, so no scrolling, do work.

If you need more information, I can try to provide them.

#17 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

I should really register so I can edit >_<

Anyway, disregard this, as BG2 itself doesn't start anymore either :( I merely performed a BWP installation, then ran your launcher... Should I have first tried running BG2 before using the launcher or is it impossible to have affected anything? When trying to run BG2 the normal way, it just doesn't do anything after I click on Play.

Make sure that the TobExLauncher.exe, and all the other files in its archive directory, are in the same directory as the BGMain.exe. The error occurs because it cannot find your BGMain.exe.

I seem to be able to always get the same error with the kit selector. It's enabled in the ini and more than nine are present. When, during character generation, I click the class name and expect the kit selector, I get this error:

Assertion failed!
Program: g:\bg2\BGMain.exe
File: .\src\CGameUI.cpp
Line: 500

Expression: pBtOption11 != NULL

(And then the usual assertion text)

The .chu file is placed in my override. Turning off KitScroll fixes the bug but obviously doesn't allow me to scroll through the list of kits. Classes with nine kits or less, so no scrolling, do work.

If you need more information, I can try to provide them.

Make sure you put guicg.chu into your override directory.

--------------
Retired Modder

#18 pauljh5

pauljh5
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hi,

Ive edited the ini so the only thing active is the Kit scroll screen, however i too get the the C++ error, even though the guicg.chu file is def in my override directory.

Posted Image

any ideas?

Edited by pauljh5, 31 January 2010 - 11:21 AM.

#19 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

In simplification, the error states that it cannot find a reference to the extra button that TobEx adds in the guicg.chu file.

Could you double-check that the ./override/guicg.chu file from the TobEx.rar is the one that is in your BG2:ToB override directory? Also, check that no override sub-directory has been created in the override directory.

I can reproduce this error if: 1) I don't have a guicg.chu in the override directory; or 2) a guicg.chu that doesn't come from TobEx.rar is in the override directory.

Also note that certain GUI mods might modify guicg.chu in some way. If there already is a guicg.chu in the override directory, try re-extracting the one from the TobEx.rar into the override, making sure you backup the old one.

Let me know if that works out.

--------------
Retired Modder

#20 pauljh5

pauljh5
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

Just re-did all that again just to be sure, but no change.

My install path for BGII is C:\Games\BGII - SoA\override and there is definitely the guicg.chu file there, and the .chu is definitely the exact one in the rar above. There is no visible or hidden folder in \override at all either.

ive recently installed the game itself. I have ToB installed and patched it up to the correct version and did a BWP 'standard' installation. Ive added some kits, then installed this to the instructions above.

as far as i know, its all relatively normal, i cant really think of anything exceptionally unusual that might be causing some unforeseen issue. sorry i cant offer any more insight into this. If there is anything else i can do to help let me know though :)

Edited by pauljh5, 30 January 2010 - 09:28 PM.