Death and Taxes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 -Kirwond-

-Kirwond-

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:29 AM

Little warning before I start. This version of the main character will probably not agree with anyone else's version. If that bothers you, I'm sorry. Well, not that sorry.

Other than that, constructive criticism and advice is welcome (and encouraged).

(Edit 10/5: Chapters 2, 3, and 5 have undergone a facelift. Many thanks to JC and MorningGlory for their help with this story!)

?The gods are pissing on the roof again,? said Snick. He wiped dribbles of rain from the bar and glared up at the leaky ceiling. ?Bastards couldn?t hold it until I got the new shingles nailed on.?

Thunder cracked like a whip across my eardrums, and I grimaced. Another beautiful evening in the City of Coin. So many coins, and so many hands ready to take them. It was a town where thieves ruled the night and merchants could really make a killing. The perfect place for a guy like me.

?Another one, Mister A??

?Yes.? I raised my glass and Snick topped it up with a double measure of cheap Westgate whiskey. I held it up to the light, admiring its deep amber glow, and took a slug. It burned a hole straight down my gullet. Great stuff. Really made you feel alive.

I?d spent many a night sitting at this counter, breathing in the air of smoke and desperation, knocking my drinks back one by one until I fell off the stool or found an expensive dame to take me home. That was exactly what I had in mind as I sat there that night. Until she walked in.

I saw her feet first, neatly encased in tiny black slippers with blue dragons embroidered on the toes. Wealthy dame, wearing the finest Athkatla had to offer. My eyes traveled up the sapphire silk skirts, the jewel-encrusted bodice, the sleek mink stole partially covered by a thick rain-spotted cloak. She put back her hood, revealing long golden fairy-princess curls and eyes as blue as the summer sky. Snick stared, his jaw hanging open, looking as if he?d just seen a goddess. He wasn?t far off.

Of all the bars in all of Faerun, she had to walk into this one. Mirielle Coltrane, the Bhaalspawn mage with a heart of gold and the bank account to match. Some folks called her the Savior of the Sword Coast, and some called her the Destroyer of Saradush. Me, I called her, ?Sis.?

?Hello, Sis,? I said. ?What brings you to this wretched dump??

She flashed me that winsome little-girl smile. ?Can?t a girl come by to say hello to her big brother??

?No.? I turned back to my drink. ?I haven?t seen you since the wedding. What?s it been, five years??

?I?ve been busy.?

?So I heard. Business must be good. Too good to visit your relatives.?

She glanced at the door. ?I don?t have time for this. I need to talk to you, Sarevok. And Imoen, too, if she?s around.?

?Sit down, take a load off. She?ll turn up soon.?

?I need to talk to you alone.? She put a soft hand on my arm, and for a moment I felt infinitely privileged. ?Please, Sarevok, I think they?re after me.?

Someone two tables away dropped a glass on the dusty floor, and Sis flinched. I?d never seen her flinch before, and we?d been through a lot worse than broken glass. I quit messing with her and began to pay attention. ?Who??

A tear rolled down her porcelain cheek. ?The ones who killed my husband??

#2 -Guest-

-Guest-

Still wiping her eyes, Sis shuffled after me. The drunks stared as we passed, probably wondering what a dame like her was doing with a guy like me. I thought about telling them, but they wouldn?t have believed it. Not without another drink.

I knocked on the rough plastered wall. Three quick taps and a thud. We waited, but nothing happened. I knocked again, louder this time.

A thin voice finally piped up from behind the wall. ?You aren?t doing the secret knock, Sarry!?

?I am!? I did it again, just to show her. ?And don?t call me Sarry!?

?It?s five taps and a thud! Like this!? The wall thudded as she knocked back.

I was getting impatient, and fast. ?IMOEN! Open the damn door!?

?Geez, ask nicely, willya? I was just trying to help??

Dames. Shorthand for trouble. And there were no exceptions to the rule, at least none that I knew of.

The wall swung open, and we stepped into my office. Two mahogany desks, one large and one small, occupied most of the juiced-up crypt. We?d propped the empty sarcophagus up against the wall. It made a good filing cabinet with the wooden dividers Imoen had conjured up.

?Quaint little place you have here,? said Sis, letting me take her cloak.

I hung it up on the cloakrack and tossed my hat in the general direction of my desk. ?It?s lavish, but I call it home.?

?MIRIELLE!!!? A purple blur tackled Sis, sending her crashing to the floor. ?Gee, it?s great to see ya! Where have you been, anyway??

?Imoen, I?did you dye your hair again??

?Only ?cause I was bored. Like it?? Imoen waved her head. The purple hair reminded me of a magic missile flying towards its target. Good times.

?It?s?interesting. Truly unique.?

?Thanks!? Imoen helped Sis back onto her feet. ?So, Miri, I haven?t seen you for a long time! You don?t write, you don?t call me on my scrying ball?you haven?t worn your little Kelseykins out, have you??

?Ixnay on the Elsey-kay,? I muttered.

?It?s okay, Sarevok,? Sis choked out, her eyes bright. ?She doesn?t know.?

?Know what??

?Kelsey?s dead.? I rummaged around in my desk for a fine Chultan cigar.

Imoen?s hand flew to her mouth. She looked like someone had whacked her with a blackjack. ?Dead? What?how?what??

Sis sat down in the chair that I pulled out for her. ?Well, it all happened two days ago,? she began. ?Kelsey and I spent all day in the lab with the latest batch of Kelsey?s Oil. We had a big shipment to send to our distributors, and I packed while Kelsey concocted. Kelsey never wanted to pack. He always wanted to spend his time playing with his flasks, like a boy playing with a potionmaking set??

I clipped the end of the cigar and lit it. Sis had always been fond of boring details. I wished she would hurry up and get to the point.

?Well, we finally finished up around midnight. I went straight to bed, and Kelsey said that he?d be right up.? A tear trickled down her cheek. ?I came downstairs in the morning, and he was?he was??

Sis began to cry again in huge, wracking sobs. Imoen ran all over the room, looking for handkerchiefs and water. I sat in my hard wooden chair and propped my feet on my desk, puffing big rings of smoke at the ceiling. I?d been through this before. When Sis got like this, all a man could do was wait it out.

After a few minutes, she wound down enough to speak. ?I?m sorry, I?m sorry??

I looked over at her and immediately wished I hadn?t. Some dames could cry without getting all red and puffy. Sis was not one of them.

?Take your time, Mirielle.? Imoen finally noticed my cigar and shot me a look. If looks could kill, I?d be dead several times over.

?Have the guards examined the crime scene?? I asked.

Sis sniffled and dabbed at her eyes. ?Oh, yes, though they?re coming back tomorrow. Inspector Trade was there for a short while today, examining the room and the?the??

?Body??

?Sarevok!?

?It?s all right, Imoen. I?I suppose I should get used to saying it. It was just such a shock?? Sis blew her nose and looked appealingly at me. ?He?s always been the strong one, encouraging me and protecting me, and to see him like that?oh, I?m so frightened!?

I couldn?t believe it. She'd survived assassins, Irenicus, Bhaalspawn?hell, she'd even managed to kill me. Twice. A dame like her shouldn?t have much to worry about.

Imoen?s expression told me she was thinking the same thing. But she was too fond of her sister to come out and say it. ?It?s all right, Miri. We?ll help you out. I need to finish some files and pay a few calls, but Sarry will stay with you until you feel more yourself again.?

I nearly dropped my cigar. ?Excuse me??

?Oh, Imoen! That?s so kind of you?of both of you!?

Imoen wanted me to play the soft-hearted sap? No, thanks. ?Sorry. I have plans.?

?Sarevok! Be nice!?

?I?m not nice, I?m vicious. It?s part of my charm.?

?Please, Sarevok? It?ll only be for a night, just until my friend comes. I don?t want to stay in my home alone??

Sis turned those baby blues on me, and I shut my mouth, defeated before I could begin to fight. I knew that look?she?d used it on me all throughout Tethyr. This was one dame who always got her way, and she was going to get it again tonight. After all, when a guy you adventured with kicks the bucket, you?re supposed to do something about it. It doesn?t matter what you thought of him. Or his wife. He was your companion, and you?re supposed to do something.

?Fine. Let?s go.?

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
?Hello, my love.?

?Tamoko?? It couldn?t be. She was dead, that lithe, muscled body rotting in the maze of sewers beneath Baldur?s Gate.

?It is good to see you again.? Tamoko glided into my arms. Every curve burned like cold fire, awakening memories that were better forgotten.

?This isn?t happening,? I said, more to myself than to her. ?You aren?t real.?

Those red lips parted in a smile. ?Am I not??

?I hate to point out the obvious, but you?re dead, doll.?

?You have never shied away from the truth before, my love, no matter how unpleasant. I suppose I cannot expect any less of you now.?

She brushed my cheek with an icy hand. I could smell her perfume, orange blossoms and musk, hanging around her like a shroud.

?What the hell are you doing here?? A bottle of booze had always been enough to keep the dreams away.

?I came to welcome you.?

?To what??

?The hunt.?

She leaned forward, closing those sad, ancient eyes. Her lips pressed against mine, but I felt a different kind of heat. Her body exploded into flames. I shouted and tried to shove her away, but she only clung tighter. Our skins sizzled and we screamed together, a desperate cry that reached the heights of rage and the depths of despair.

I opened my eyes with a start, gasping for breath. My heart was pounding like a thousand insane drummers. The noise came again, loud and shrill. I groaned and rolled over the empty bottle of whiskey, reaching for the amulet on the nightstand. Flipping it open with one hand, I brought it to my lips. ?Anchev,? I muttered.

?Good morning, Sarry!? Imoen?s voice chirped annoyingly in my ear. ?How?s Mirielle??

I sat up. The damned bottle poked me right in the small of the back, but I ignored it. ?Probably crying again.?

Imoen sighed. ?Would it kill you to check on her??

?She?s a big Bhaalspawn. She can take care of herself. Any word on the Jansen case??

?No, but there?s been another gnome slaying. This one caught a crossbow bolt right in the very top of his head. I think he was trying to duck.?

?Perhaps he was trying for a head-butt.?

?You?re sick.?

?I try.?

?And your accountant stopped by. He wants to talk to you about your taxes. Something about filling out another form.?

?Oh, for the love of Bhaal! Can?t you deal with this??

?Only if I get a raise. A big one.?

?I?ll think about it. When are you going to get here? I can?t stand crying at breakfast. Gives me indigestion.?

?Give me an hour, maybe two. I?m having a bad hair day.? The amulet clicked as she released the spell.

I thought about going back to sleep, but decided against it. I might dream of her again. I fished out the bottle and placed it on the nightstand. If a full bottle of whiskey couldn?t keep Tamoko out of my head, what would? Two bottles might do it, but it was too early to think about that. Even I had my limits.

The maid came in with a steaming bowl. She set it down on the dresser. ?Your hot water, my lord.?

?Thanks.? I looked at the window, where the maid was pulling back the curtains. The sun was just peeking over the horizon. ?I?m guessing Sis isn?t awake yet.?

?Lady Mirielle has already risen. She is downstairs in the breakfast room with her guest.?

?Guest??

The maid winced. ?Oh, dear?the mistress doesn?t like me to talk about her private business??

Most folks wouldn?t have noticed the subtle flex of her hand. If I hadn?t been ready for it, I might have missed it myself. I flipped a gold piece into her palm, and she started talking even before her fingers closed around it.

??of course, there?s no harm in your knowing. You?re family, after all. She?s downstairs with Sir Delryn.?

Business in Amn was such a joy. I thanked her with another coin before sending her on her way. Delryn, eh? I?d never met the guy, having clawed my way back to life after he left the group. Imoen had met him, of course, and had mentioned him to me a few times. She liked him, but then again, she liked anyone who talked like a romance novel.

After a quick shave, I headed downstairs. I could hear voices ahead as I padfooted down the hall.

?My Lady, this is highly irregular.?

?I know, Anomen, but trust me. I know what I?m doing.?

?But if you would only allow me to??

?No!?

I slowly put my head around the doorframe. Sis stood in the center of the room, her curls perfectly arranged to catch the first rays of morning light. She wore a filmy blue gown that clung in all the right places. There was a black ribbon fastened around her creamy neck, which I guessed meant that she was in mourning.

She was speaking with a guy who clearly spent as much time in front of a mirror as he did on the battlefield. Despite the early hour, he was already tricked out in brightly polished plate mail. A large silver medallion in the shape of a hand spilled over his armor, and I only needed to squint a little to make out the engravings typical of Helm?s symbol.

?I?m sorry, Anomen,? said Sis, ?but a number of priests have already tried and failed to raise him. I?m afraid my Kelsey is lost to me.? Her rosebud lips quivered.

He wrapped her in his arms and let her weep all over his shoulder. Contrition was written plainly on Anomen's features as he looked down at her bent head, along with something else. The man had it bad. Yeah, she was a walking sauna, and he was ready to sit down on her bench. It was a real shame. Sis was way out of his league.

?Miri, if I had only known this would end in such tragedy, I would have?? His eyes flicked towards the door, and he stepped back and released Sis. He was pretty quick for such a big guy. ?Did you want something?? he growled.

I stepped into the room. ?Didn?t mean to interrupt. Morning, Sis.?

Sis dabbed at her eyes with one of those lacy handkerchiefs she liked. ?Good morning. Anomen, I don?t believe you?ve met my brother. Sarevok, this is Anomen Delryn.?

?Charmed,? he said, extending a wide, square hand with some impressive calluses.

?Likewise.? We shook on it, making it into a not-so-friendly contest. I won, but not by much.

We moved on to the breakfast table. Nobody seemed to want to talk, so I tucked into my food. Sis pushed away her plate, choosing instead to drink large quantities of water. No doubt she was restoring her reservoir of tears.

Imoen came in when we were halfway through with the meal. Anomen rose to his feet when he saw her. He looked like someone who?d just been told a painful joke. ?Purple?? he asked.

?I got bored!? She winked and punched him in the arm. ?Still got that armor polish fetish, I see.?

Anomen grumbled as Imoen sat down, helping herself to everything in reach. I could?ve told him she?d say something like that, but Sis always said not to speak with my mouth full.

?So, what?s new, Ano? You?re not exactly the easiest guy to keep in touch with.?

He forced a tight smile. ?I do apologize, Lady Imoen, if I have given any offense by my unavailability. I have recently returned from a campaign in the south to mop up the remnants of the Sythsillian forces.? He smirked at Imoen, who rolled her eyes. ?If I may be pardoned for saying so, ?twas quite a simple affair after the enemies we faced together in the service of Lady Mirielle.?

?I get it,? I said, spearing a piece of ham on my knife. ?Not much left to scare you after you?ve battled your way through the forces of the Abyss.?

Anomen glanced my way. ?Erm?yes?well, as I said, I returned only recently. I have been in residence at the Order for the past week.?

?The Order?? asked Imoen. ?What about your family estate??

?I sold it to the Jysstevs a few years ago, after Father died. I could not bear to live there?memories of Moira haunted every corridor.? Anomen bowed his head over his plate.

I frowned at Imoen, but she shot me a ?tell you later? look and said, ?Gee, sorry, Ano. I?m really sticking my foot in it.?

?It is all right, Lady Imoen. You did not know.?

We finished our meal in silence.

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

The maid came in as we rose from the table. ?Lady Mirielle, Inspector Trade is here to see you.?

?Show him into the parlor, Jane. We shall be there in a moment.?

Anomen bowed. ?I should go, my Lady. I would not wish to be in the way.?

?Oh, please stay, Anomen,? said Sis. ?I would really feel so much better if you were around??

She looked at him with those eyes, and he folded like a card table. We followed Sis into the parlor. I?d seen a lot of scary things, but this took the cake. The parlor was decorated entirely in shades of pink. Pink leather, pink velvet, pink silk, pink lace?it was enough to drive a man crazy.

Two men rose from the pink leather couch. One of them, with a shock of red hair and a face like a collapsed lung, I?d met before. That would be Inspector Trade. A stand-up guy, if a bit wet behind the ears.

?Lady Mirielle,? said Trade, ?it is an honor to finally meet you. I have heard much of your adventures, and have long admired all that you and your companions have done for us.?

He slobbered over her hand like an otyugh in heat, which she seemed to like. Dames really went for that stuff. ?Why, thank you, Inspector Trade.?

?Please, call me Les.?

I watched Sis as they talked. She was looking a lot better this morning, even with the recent flood of tears. Trade certainly seemed to think so. Sis always had a way with people, even when we were adventuring. She could twist a guy around her little finger in minutes. I ought to know. I was one of those guys.

Sis was the reason why I got into this line of work. Once she?d ruined my plans to take over our father?s throne, I had nothing better to do than tag along in her wake. She?d impressed me with her style and power, not to mention her looks. I?d always been a sucker for a pretty face, especially when the lady in question treated you like someone worthy of respect. She really was a classy dame. I?d never understood why she hadn?t become a god, but I guessed it had something to do with Kelsey.

The other guy, a bony shrimp with a salt and pepper beard, finally got sick of the chatter. ?Can we just get on with this?? he snapped. ?Where?s the crime scene?? He stalked out of the room without waiting for an answer.

?Sorry about Moore,? said Trade. ?He?s a bit touchy, but a good man in a crunch. Came with the highest recommendations from the Cowled Wizards.?

?Don?t worry about it,? said Sis. ?I suppose we should hurry. I don?t want to waste your valuable time.?

We followed her downstairs into what looked like a basement laboratory. Moore was already there, checking out the joint. A heavy oak table stood in the center of the large room, every square inch covered with flasks, tubes, and other equipment. There were a lot of jars on the shelves, all neatly labeled in Kelsey?s precise writing. I took a look at the jars. Eye of newt and hair of dog. I made a note never to try any of Kelsey?s potions.

?I found him there, to the left of the table.? Sis hugged herself and shivered.

Moore gave the area a good once-over. ?I see you moved the body, Les.?

?It was getting a bit ripe,? said Trade. ?We captured images in the scrying ball, if you really need them.?

?Hmph. Very well. Do you have the personal item, Lady Mirielle??

?Yes.?

She handed him a simple gold ring. Moore closed his eyes and began muttering mystical mumbo-jumbo.

While he was busy, I took another look around the room. Something wasn't right, but I couldn?t quite put my finger on it. And it didn?t help that Imoen was whispering in my ear.

?Look at him, Sarry! I could do that spell in two seconds. He wouldn?t need to whisper half that long if he were any good!?

Moore opened one eye and glared at Imoen before continuing his casting. I ignored her and kept looking at the floor, then the walls, then all that delicate equipment on the table. It finally clicked. The place was too damn clean.

Most crime scenes show some sign of struggle, but this room was neat as a pin. Kelsey was no pushover. Back when we were saving the world, he was not a guy you wanted mad at you. He could give as good as he got with lightning and banshee wails and all manner of magical destruction. I thought about saying something, but Moore looked like he?d get nasty if there were any more interruptions. So I kept my trap shut, resolving to discuss it with Imoen later.

There was a surge of light, and Moore released Kelsey?s ring. It hung in the air, floating on a cloud of silver sparkles, and then it began to spin, faster and faster. Imoen had just enough time to mutter, ?If I?d done it, the sparkles would be much cooler. And pink.? before an image formed in the air above the spinning ring. It fuzzed for a moment before resolving.

In the image, a crossbow bolt struck Kelsey in the chest. He flung out an arm and staggered back, the surprised look freezing on his face as two more bolts pinned him to the floor. He twitched a little, and died.

Sis screamed, and Anomen rushed to shield her from the view. ?Have you no feelings, man?? he bellowed.

Moore waved his hand, a sour look etched deep into his face. Kelsey sprang to his feet, bolts flying backward and wounds miraculously healing.

Trade sighed. ?Just start at the beginning, Moore.?

Moore grumbled some more, but swept his little finger sharply to the left and down. The image blacked out for a second before showing a different scene. Sis stood next to Kelsey, packing tiny flasks into a large wooden crate. It looked to be the last of a shipment, with six other crates stacked against the opposite wall.

Kelsey said something to Sis. She wiped her brow and poured him a glass of water from a large jug. He said something else, and she smiled and set down his drink.

?No sound,? Imoen muttered. ?Completely amateur work.?

Sis kissed Kelsey on the cheek and said something before breezing up the stairs and out of the image. Kelsey nodded, a hapless ?yes, dear? look pasted on his mug. He turned away and picked up his glass, draining it in long, thirsty gulps. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve and went back to packing.

Nothing exciting happened, so I let my eyes take another walk around the room. Trade watched the picture, his body tense, as if he were ready to jump into the image and prevent the murder. Anomen had a brawny arm around Sis, who had recovered enough to peek fearfully over his shoulder at the image. Her mouth was open in a dainty pink ?O? as she watched.

Imoen gasped, and I turned back in time to see a man appear in the room behind Kelsey. He blipped into existence without any of the fireworks and fancy puffs of smoke that mages tend to use. Very slick. I admired it for a moment. Kelsey clearly had no clue that anyone was behind him.

The man?s equipment was professional grade. Dark leather armor, no identifying crest. Common-make crossbow, nothing you couldn?t get at the Adventurer?s Mart. Plain dark clothing. Dark hood covering the hair and most of the face. A gold ring on his left pinky, but everyone and his brother wore those in Amn. Looked to me like an assassin. It would make perfect sense. After our rampant do-gooding in Tethyr, there would be no end to evil organizations wanting Sis or Kelsey dead. There was only one thing that didn?t add up. The assassin was going the wrong way.

At first I thought Moore had screwed up the spell, but no, the man really was sneaking away from Kelsey. He didn?t stop until he reached one of the stacked crates, where he shifted his crossbow to his left hand and moved his fingers in circular spellcasting motions.

?Imoen,? I ordered, not taking my eyes off the image. ?Go check those crates. I want to know what that man was doing.?

?Sure thing, partner.? Imoen sauntered to the crates and began to jimmy one open.

By now, the man in the image had completed his spell. A soft golden glow seeped into the crates. You could almost hear the man thinking, ?One down, five to go.? But Kelsey raised his head. Perhaps he had sensed the use of magic, or perhaps the man wasn?t as silent as he seemed.

Like I said, Kelsey was no pushover. It?s hard to be when you?re one of the most powerful spell-slingers in Faerun. So he did just what I expected. He turned around and confronted the guy. They exchanged words, none of which we could hear, and then they fought. Luckily for Sis, Moore paused the image just before the assassin fired his crossbow.

?Got everything??

?Yes,? said Moore.

?Then let it go. We can review it later.? Trade scratched the sparse stubble that passed for his beard. ?Funny that Kelsey didn?t manage to cast a??

?Wait!?

Everyone turned to look at Sis, who had gone even paler than her norm. She extended a trembling hand. ?That insignia,? she said in a strange, choked voice.

Insignia? I moved forward until I was next to Moore. Sis was right. The assassin?s sleeve had fallen back far enough to reveal a leather bracer. A decorated leather bracer. The exotic swirls in the design rang immediate warning bells in my head. I had seen it before, and not long ago.

Anomen peered over my shoulder. I could feel his bristle of outrage. ?Farrahd!? he roared. ?Yusef Farrahd!?

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

?That was very interesting, Sir Delryn.? Moore slurped some tea from a pink porcelain cup. I guessed his mother had never taught him to sip. ?Would you care to explain??

?I thought it was quite simple,? said Anomen. ?The insignia on that bracer is that of the House of Farrahd.?

?Yes, that part I understand. But why would someone connected with that family intrude upon Kelsey Coltrane??

?Well, I had a look at those crates,? said Imoen, ?and the potions were all spoiled. It smelled like something curled up and died in there, and it looked even worse. So I guess that?s what the guy was doing before Kelsey caught him. And since the Farrahds compete directly with the Coltranes in the potion business??

Sis nodded. Her eyes were like two icy marbles, and they sent a chill up my spine. ?Yes, Imoen, that does make sense.?

Moore was still considering Anomen. ?I seem to remember a case involving your family and the Farrahds,? he said slowly. ?It was a number of years back??

?Yes,? said Anomen. He grit his teeth against what looked to be his own personal hell. ?Yusef Farrahd?s father, Saerk, murdered my younger sister, Moira.?

?He died soon afterwards, did he not??

?Yes, not long after the Magistrate confiscated his business and holdings.? Anomen?s lips thinned. ?He could bribe his way out of prison, but he could not keep Helm?s vengeance from falling upon his guilty head.?

?It was a rather sudden death, as I recall?yes, thank you.? Inspector Trade accepted another cup of tea from Imoen. ?A sickness, perhaps, or a sudden fit.?

?A sudden fit caused by a knife in the heart, eh, Sir Delryn??

Anomen sprang to his feet, towering over Moore. The knight was shaking like a leaf. ?I beg your pardon!?

?Moore!? Trade shook his head. ?The Magistrate is well-satisfied that neither Sir Delryn nor any of his friends had anything to do with Saerk?s death. Let it rest.?

Moore sat back. I?d seen a more pleasant puss on an orc.

?Shouldn?t you folks go after Farrahd?? asked Imoen.

Sis blinked. ?What about the assassin??

?Men like that are a silver a dozen,? said Trade. ?And there?s always the chance that Farrahd did the dirty work himself, though that?s not usual among men in his position. Either way, I?d be very interested to find out what he has to say.? Trade stood and shook hands with everyone. ?Well, thank you for allowing us to invade your lovely home, Lady Mirielle. And, again, I?m terribly sorry for your loss.?

?Thank you, Inspector,? said Sis, her eyes bright. ?I just know you will bring my husband?s killer to justice.?

?You?re welcome to drop by the prison tomorrow, Anchev. We should have Farrahd in custody by then.?

They left, and so did Anomen. The evening passed a bit more cheerfully than the first. Sis went upstairs to get some shut-eye. Imoen and I hung around in the parlor. I lay back on the sofa, wondering how something so pink could be so comfortable.

?Miri sure has a nice place, huh, Sarevok. Someday, I want to have a house just like this one.?

?I?ve been rich, and I?ve been poor. Believe me, rich is better.?

?I still can?t believe that Mister Farrahd was involved. He seemed okay when we met him?not at all the type to ruin a business. Or kill someone.?

Imoen?s mind worked like lightning. You never knew where it would strike next. ?Everyone?s the type. Especially Farrahd.? He?d come by the office a couple months ago. Wanted his wife tailed. Imoen had taken care of business with a quick spell, but it had taken me forever to collect our payment. The guy was so tight with a gold piece you?d think they weren?t minting them anymore.

?And what?s that supposed to mean??

?Word on the street?s that he?s been having a little business trouble. Coltrane potions sell out, and his potions stay on the shelves. Doing a number on your competitors is par for the course in Athkatla. And if things got out of hand?I?m sure he?d be crying all the way to the bank.?

Imoen made a face. ?I guess. He must still have some money, though, if he could hire someone to take out Kelsey. Don?t you think it was strange how Kelseykins didn?t even put up a fight??

?Yeah, it is strange.? I thought back to Moore?s spell. The battle had been short. Wham, bam, dead sorcerer. ?You think he tried to cast something??

Imoen absently chewed on a hank of hair. ?No,? she finally said. ?I?d have to look at that image again to be sure, though. Kelsey?s casting was always different from other mages.? She covered a yawn. ?Sorry, I can?t think anymore. I?m getting a little sleepy.?

?Then go to bed. Do I need to tell you everything??

She smiled and kissed me on the cheek. ?Good night, big bro.?

I reached up and wiped off the smooch prints. ?Good night.?

A moment after she left the room, I remembered what I?d wanted to ask her about. Anomen. Moore had a real chip on his shoulder about Anomen?s past. Most folks had forgotten about that old feud between the Delryns and the Farrahds. I know Imoen thought it was old news. I tried to remember what she had told me. Something about a confrontation?

A soft voice interrupted my thoughts. ?Sarevok? Are you all right??

I looked up. Sis stood in the doorway, cinching her robe around her body. I almost wished she wouldn't. It was one hell of a body.

?I?m just fine, Sis. I thought you were asleep.?

?I was having trouble falling asleep, so I came downstairs for a book.? She held up a dog-eared copy of Ledger Entries for Beginners.

?I can see how that would put you to sleep.?

She came in and sat down. ?Come on, Sarevok,? she purred in my ear. Her hot breath sent delicious shivers up and down my neck. ?Tell your little sister what?s wrong.?

?Nothing?s wrong. Just trying to remember something, that?s all.?

She pouted and stroked my arm. I could see she wouldn?t let it go, so I kept talking.

?What?s the story with Anomen? The inspector seemed determined to pin something on him.?

Sis frowned. ?Oh. That. Imoen didn?t tell you??

?She told me a little.?

?I can imagine she wouldn?t want to talk about it. It was right after we restored her soul, and she was not yet herself.? Sis leaned back and tapped the book against her palm. ?Anomen was very upset when he found out about Saerk Farrahd and his role in Moira?s death. He was even more upset when he learned that his father, Lord Cor, had also died at Saerk?s hands.?

Things were coming back to me. ?So Anomen went over to pop the guy??

She grimaced. It looked cute on her. ?Er?well?yes. Thankfully, we caught up with him in time, but it was a close thing. I can still remember the look on Saerk?s face when we ran into the room. He looked like he had seen his own death, and he very nearly had.?

?And you talked Anomen down? I always knew you had a way with words.?

?I couldn?t let him throw away everything he had achieved on one senseless act of revenge. He would have lost his standing in the Order, and possibly even the good opinion of his god. I can?t say any of us were sorry when we heard about the deaths of Saerk and his daughter, but we aren?t perfect.?

?Sounds like there?s some bad blood between you folks and Farrahd. If he thinks all of you are to blame for his family?s ruin, he?d want to get his own back.?

?I guess. Even though we had nothing to do with Saerk?s death, I suppose we are responsible for the confiscation of the Farrahd?s property and holdings?? She sat perfectly still. I could see her mind working away in that pretty little head. ?Do you think he was planning to blame Anomen for ruining those potions??

?Seems a little far-fetched, but anything is possible in this town. You might want to mention that theory to Trade. I think he?d like to hear it.?

?I?ll try to remember. I should probably get some sleep. And so should you,? she said, slipping back into sisterly mode.

?I don?t need sleep,? I said. ?I just need a drink.?

Sis sighed. I figured she was about to tell me off. As it turned out, I was right.

?You?re starting to worry me, Sarevok. Don?t you think your drinking is getting out of hand??

She'd always liked to meddle. Couldn't leave well enough alone. I gave her a taste of the old poker face. ?No.?

?How much wine did you have with dinner? Two bottles? Three??

?Don?t nag, sweetheart. It?s bad for your longevity.?

She put her hands on her hips. ?I?m just trying to help, Sarevok. I don't want to see you get hurt.?

?Don?t worry about me, Sis. You just take care of yourself.?

I escorted her upstairs to her room before heading to mine. I had a hot date. With a bottle.

#6 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:30 AM

That night, I walked through a land that had seen better times. There were no trees, only broken gray stumps. The earth lay naked, exposed to the harsh winds that whipped up the dust and stones. The wind hurled them at me, pebbles ringing on my armor.

It was my old armor. The spiky plate enclosed me in a comforting embrace. I had my old sword slung over my back as well. I didn?t have to draw it to see, I just knew it in that disconcerting way of dreams. I fought down the panic that gripped me at the thought that I was dreaming again, despite the whiskey. There was some reason I was walking, and maybe it had nothing to do with her.

So I kept going, sweeping my eyes from side to side. That tree-hugging Jaheira would have bawled her eyes out. No green, no animals. All was quiet, except for the wind. Suddenly I felt like I was the only one left in the world.

Something caught my eye. A row of skeletons nestled face down in the ground. They had their arms extended towards me, like they were kowtowing. It gave me the creeps. The wind roared, blowing up gigantic choking clouds. I shut my eyes, but the wind was gone as suddenly as it appeared. When I opened my eyes again, the land was covered with skeletons as far as I could see. All face down, all bowing. To me.

A woman appeared at my side. It was Tamoko. She wore a long, flowing white gown, the hem stirring up tiny puffs of gray. I was sure glad to see her. Maybe she'd make some sense this time.

?What the hell is going on here?? I suddenly noticed a rose quartz ring on the finger of the nearest skeleton. Imoen?s favorite ring.

Icy cold uncurled in the pit of my stomach when Tamoko smiled. ?It is your triumph, Master,? she said mechanically. ?Do you not like it??

?This?? I waved my hand at the broken bodies littering the earth. ?I didn?t want this! I wanted something left to rule! I wanted power!?

?And you have it. You have the ultimate power, now that you have fulfilled your destiny.?

I wanted to shake her and make those slanted dark eyes come back to life. ?What?s wrong with you? Why are you talking like that??

She melted into a murder of crows, and I flung my arm over my eyes as they shot up into the inky sky. They circled me at a distance as I continued my triumphal progress over a dead world. No matter how I tried to block my ears, I could still hear them cawing my name over and over again, ?Sarevok?Sarevok??

?SAREVOK!!!?

I must have leapt ten feet into the air. It sure hurt like it when I landed on the floor. Imoen stood over me. She looked like she was trying to decide whether to laugh or scream. Finally, she decided on the hidden third option, concern.

?Are you okay?? She extended a hand.

I couldn?t answer. I was busy staring at the ring on her finger.

?You were dreaming about her again, weren?t you??

?None of your business,? I croaked.

?I can tell. You?ve got that tragic look about you. Or maybe that?s a hangover.?

?Shut your big yap!?

Imoen hunkered down on the floor and tried to help me up. ?You gotta lay off the booze, Sarry. It?s going to kill you one of these days.?

I sat up and shook her tiny paws off my back. ?For a know-it-all, you sure don?t know much. Go pour me some coffee, will you??

Imoen stood and glared down at me. ?Fine. I?ll be sure to add a good dose of common sense.? She slammed the door on my retort.

I got dressed and began to shave, still fuming. Imoen?s comment stung like a knife in the back. Lay off the booze, lay off the cigars?next she?d be telling me to quit wenching. What the hell did she know? She?d never needed the stuff. She didn?t have these crazy dreams night after night. She?

I swore and peered in the ritzy mirror. I?d cut myself. Sis always said not to shave when angry. Damn her for being right. After stopping the blood with a towel, I stomped downstairs.

The girls had the sense not to notice the nick on my jaw. We ate, which always put me in a better mood. After coffee and some more tears from Sis, Imoen and I said our goodbyes and were on our way. Truth to tell, I was glad to be out of that house. It was grand seeing Sis, even under the circumstances, but it was even better to be back on the street.

Imoen sighed, looking wistfully back at the house. ?I miss Miri already. It was just like old times, being there. Think we?ll see her again soon??

?I doubt it. She doesn?t need us anymore. Not with her knight in shining armor around.?

?You mean Anomen??

?Who else would I mean??

She laughed nervously. ?Miri wouldn?t take up with him. Not like this.?

I snorted. Imoen had a blind spot the size of Amn when it came to her sister. ?Don?t be an idiot. You think Sis is perfect, but she?s only human. And hearts heal fast, faster than you think.?

She shot me a knowing glance. ?Except for yours.?

?I thought I told you to shut up about that,? I said in the most menacing voice I could muster.

It had no effect on her. Family can be a real bitch. ?Whatever you say, Sarry.?

We walked in silence for a grand total of five minutes.

?Hey, where are we going anyway??

?To see if Trade?s gotten Farrahd.?

?What for? He?s a big boy, and doesn?t need any help from you.?

?Call it professional curiosity.?

?Hah! That?s what I used to tell Winthrop when he caught me in the cellars sampling his ale.? She shrugged and winked at me. ?Never worked, though.?

We entered the guard barracks and headed straight for Trade?s office. His secretary sat at her desk outside. Imoen nodded at her, and I touched my hat. She smiled. I knew her type. Blonde hair, brown nose. A face that brought the boys running and legs that kept them coming back for more. I reached for the doorknob. She didn?t try to stop me.

Imoen and I stepped inside. Trade?s office was neat and tidy, as usual. A place for everything, and everything in its proper place. The only messy thing was Trade. He sat slumped in his chair, scowling.

?How?s it going, Inspector?? asked Imoen.

Trade picked up a pig-shaped pewter paperweight and whipped it at his filing cabinet. It dented the side and bounced back, landing on the floor with a thud. He then got out of his chair and picked up the pig. From the look of the cabinet, he?d been doing this for a while.

?Something wrong?? I asked perceptively.

?Farrahd walked.?

?Without questioning??

?Yep.?

Imoen?s mouth fell open. Trade couldn?t have taken her more by surprise if he?d blasted her with a fireball. Unless he?d run her over with a griffin first.

?You?re kidding me,? she exclaimed. ?You actually let him go? Was he innocent??

Trade shook his head and scowled, looking ten years older and twenty years meaner. ?He had the pretty words and the golden handshake. We had to let him go.?

?You guards are all alike. Someone flashes some gold and you fall all over yourselves to get it. You?d think you?d never seen money before.? Imoen gave Trade one last disgusted look before turning to me. ?Think he might be open to a little company??

I knew that look in her eye. It usually meant trouble. ?Imoen,? I said. ?Let the guards handle it. Sis doesn?t need our help anymore, remember??

?Don?t be such a stick-in-the-mud, Sarry. You know we?d be much better at getting the truth out of him.?

?Forget it,? said Trade. ?It would take a miracle to get you into that house, and the Cowlies have outlawed miracles.?

?Miracles? No problem.? Imoen flexed her fingers. The knuckles popped one by one, like little firecrackers. ?We?ve done a few of those before. Isn?t that right, Sarry??

I knew she?d go without me if I threw in the towel. And more likely than not, she?d get herself in hot water and wait for me to bail her out. What else could I do but agree?

#7 -Guest-

-Guest-

I looked up the flight of marble steps at Farrahd?s home. The mansion was even grander than the Coltranes?s, which was no great shock. The Farrahds had been in business for a longer time. What did surprise me was the dingy paint job and the unkempt flowerbeds. Either his gardener was hitting the bottle or the cash flow was beginning to dry up.

?You got the stuff?? I asked out of the corner of my mouth.

Imoen winked at me. ?Of course I do. Stole it from his pocket the last time we met.?

?Good. Be careful in there. I don?t want to have to rescue you.?

?Puh-leeze. I can take care of myself. I?m an archmage, you know.?

I marched up the chipped steps while Imoen headed around back. I waited a few moments to let her get settled before pounding on the door.

A brick hithouse of a man answered. He looked down his nose at me. ?Yes?? he barked.

I could see I?d have to be careful with this one. He was packing heat, two wicked looking wands jammed in his belt. So I played it straight. ?I?m here to see Yusef Farrahd.?

The man looked me up and down with a quick flick of his tiny dark eyes. ?My master is a very busy man. Why should he see you??

?Why don?t you give him my name and find out? It?s Sar??

?I know who you are.? He took a step forward and thrust his face into mine. ?And if you know what?s good for you, you?ll go while the going?s good.?

The doorman?s breath reeked of gin and sulfur. I turned my cough into a laugh. ?That?s real good. Did you think that up all by yourself??

He wasn?t impressed. ?A wise guy, eh? Beat it. Now.?

?I?m not going anywhere. Now run along and let your master know I want to see him. I haven?t got all day.?

He swore and went for his wands, but I got there first. I grabbed his wrist and twisted. The wand fell from his nerveless fingers and I caught it with my other hand. He tried to point the other wand at me, but I caught his forearm and wrenched it back. He screamed as I spun him around and slammed him into the wall. Hard. I did it a few more times, enough to knock him silly. Imoen wanted a distraction, not a bloodbath.

Keeping a tight hold on his arms, I shoved the doorman through the open door and into the hall. Two guards came out of a room at the end of the hall. They drew their blades, and I pointed the wands at them with my free hand. The doorman, whey-faced and sweating, barked something at them. They froze and let us enter the parlor.

Farrahd sat in a leather armchair before the blazing fireplace. Although he was huddled in a mass of thick blankets, he was shaking like a naked elf in a snowstorm. He jumped to his feet as we entered.

?Hello, Farrahd,? I said, giving his doorman an extra shove. The man stumbled forward, landing on his knees with a gasp. ?Nice doorman you got here. You ought to trade up. It would be a real shame if anything happened to your place.?

The doorman opened his mouth to make a smart comment. Farrahd jerked his head in the direction of the door, and the butler closed his mouth and went. Farrahd then turned his dark gaze on me. He?d lost weight over the past year. Skeletons had more meat on their bones than he did.

?What are you doing here, Sarevok?? he asked. ?Why do you invade my home in this uncouth fashion??

?No games, Farrahd.? I handed him the wands, business end first.

He had a good poker face. ?I thought we were friends.?

?Don?t give me that. You needed some chump to find your wife and I needed a meal ticket.?

His eyes glittered. ?Perhaps we could sit down and discuss this matter like civilized men.?

I shrugged. ?You?re the boss.?

While he rustled up some drinks, I glanced around the room. It was a lot more to my taste than Sis?s pink parlor. The walls were lined with dark wood and expensive art, and the leather chairs begged me to sit down and have a smoke. So I sat down and did just that. A movement in the corner nearly startled me into a cough, but it was just Imoen settling behind a fancy screen. She winked at me before nudging the screen between us.

Farrahd brought me a glass of expensive wine, which I appreciated. At least he wasn?t cheap with his booze.

?To business,? he said, raising his glass.

?To business.?

We clinked glasses and drank. The wine slid down my throat like red silk. I didn?t say no to another.

?I see you like my wine.?

The second glass disappeared as quickly as the first. ?You have good taste, Farrahd. Though I didn?t know you collected paintings. I thought you collected corpses.?

Farrahd raised an eyebrow. He was a cool customer. ?What an interesting choice of conversational gambit, Sarevok. You must shine at parties.?

?Can it, Farrahd. You know why I?m here.?

?Perhaps I do,? he admitted.

?That?s nice. I like it when that happens. Now spill it.?

He shook his head. ?I have nothing to say. I am sorry, of course, that such a worthy competitor has passed on, but I had nothing to do with it. And I resent the implications that one such as I would deign to perform this lowly deed.?

?That?s your story, is it?? I kept my eyes peeled for the faint shimmer of magical energy.

?Do you have a better one??

?I think maybe you had an idea to whack the competition. That?s what I think.?

He looked at me like I'd grown a second head. ?You are insane, Sarevok. Completely insane.?

There it was. A golden mist hung in the air above Farrahd?s head. ?Did you do it, Farrahd? Did you kill Kelsey Coltrane??

Farrahd opened his mouth and froze. There was panic in his eyes as he said, ?Yes.?

I waited a moment for his trembling to subside. It was too soon for him to break free. Imoen?s Interrogation Spell was useful, but fragile. If Farrahd struggled hard enough, he could shake it off before I got what I wanted to know.

?You were the one who shot him? Or did you hire someone??

?No, no, I couldn?t trust a servant with the job.? Farrahd was sweating more than an ice sculpture on a sunny day. ?Delegation has its place, but when you want something done right, you must do it yourself.?

I stood up and went to the bar. Pouring another glass of wine, I asked, ?Why did you do it??

?Because she ruined me, Mirielle and that unnatural sorcerous husband of hers! Business was?not so good since my father and sister died, and I had to try to keep it going. After years of struggle I was finally on top again, and then the Coltranes came and took it all away from me! I had to do something! And it was a chance to avenge them??

?Avenge who??

Farrahd struggled to his feet, his face ashen. ?She did it?she told me?she?she??

A drop of sweat beaded on his forehead, and the fog of magic began to dissipate. Damn, Imoen was losing him. The broken threads of energy above Yusef?s head were my warning.

?Tell me! Quickly!?

There was a squawk from behind the screen. We both turned to see Imoen lifted into view by unseen hands. I glared at the door. The doorman stood there, smirking at me. It looked like he?d found a friend. A sinister looking mage with a nice manicure and a nose ring. I guessed he was the one responsible for Imoen?s discovery.

My knees buckled halfway to the door. I fell onto the plush carpet, cursing my own stupidity. The wine. Never drink a suspect?s wine. Imoen was right. The booze was going to kill me after all.

Heavy footsteps sounded all around me. I looked up into a ring of swords. The guards? faces were grim, and I could see nothing good in store for Imoen or myself.

Farrahd smiled, cold and cruel. ?Get him out of here, and don?t forget the scrawny witch. I have nothing more to say to either of them.? He began to laugh. It was the last thing I heard as something hit me hard on the back of the skull and the world faded to black.

#8 -Guest-

-Guest-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I opened my eyes. Bright light seared them like fire, and I winced away from the barred window. Something clinked as I rolled onto my side. I looked down. I saw five or six long, snaky things, which soon resolved into two thick chains. I followed the chains to the two big metal cuffs on my wrists. This was not good. I yanked on the chains and hurt my arms. This was not good at all. The only positive thing so far was that I hadn?t dreamed about her.

I stretched and tried to focus. The stone floor was cold, but not uncomfortable. At least my face wasn?t in a puddle of vomit this time. And it was quiet in here. Quiet enough to think.

So Farrahd had offed Kelsey. That had only come as a bit of a surprise. I?d been plumping for the wanna-be boyfriend, but Farrahd would work too. He had a nice motive, though I still didn?t understand how he could have done it so easily. Too bad he broke out of the spell so early. I?d be revealing our findings to Trade right now. And possibly taking that secretary of his out for a drink or three.

A shadow fell across the floor. Probably a guard looking in on me. Someone whispered, ?Get up, you! Get up!?

Nobody bosses me around. Especially not a hired goon. ?Folks lose teeth talking to me like that. You want to keep yours, you be pol?? I raised my head and saw a familiar face. ?Imoen??

There was a scraping sound as she fumbled with the lock. ?Quiet. They?ll hear you.?

I sat up and immediately regretted it. The pain in my head was worse than any hangover I?d ever had, and I?d been marinating myself in cheap whiskey for years. ?Did they hurt you??

?Are you kidding? I?m an archmage, remember??

?Yeah, you mentioned that once or twice.?

The lock sprang open with a muffled clang. Imoen bounded inside and worked on my bonds. Soon I was completely free.

?They really locked you up tight, Sarry. You must have scared them on the way in.?

?I guess I did.? I rubbed my wrists where the cuffs had chafed them. ?Too bad I never learned to pick a lock.?

?I?ll teach you sometime. Now, come on! Let?s make like a bread cart and roll buns.?

Our escape was pretty routine. Dead guards, blazing spellfire, the whole nine yards. We were out on the street in thirty minutes. It would have been twenty-five if Imoen hadn?t decided to help herself to some of Farrahd?s valuables.

It was a beautiful day, the sky as clear as a paladin?s conscience. We went back to Trade?s office, but he was out. Off for a three-drink lunch, the secretary said with a wink. We left a message about Farrahd for Trade, and got a note in return. It was from Sis?s maid. She had some news for us, and would be at our office in an hour.

So we marched double-time back to the Crooked Crane. Snick was waiting behind the bar.

?Heard you got into some trouble, Mister A.?

News traveled fast in this town. ?Nothing we couldn?t handle.?

?That?s good to hear. Wouldn?t want to lose my best customer.? He slid me a glass of whiskey, and I gulped it down gratefully. ?Oh, yeah. You just missed a visitor.?

The maid, I guessed. ?A dame??

?Naw. Your accountant. He had some papers for you.? Snick hawked loudly and spit a wad of snot on the floor. ?Man gives me the creeps. Always talking in numbers.?

Imoen hoisted herself onto a barstool. ?Nothing wrong with numbers, Snick. Some folks say they make the world go round.?

?Only in Athkatla.?

I left them to their conversation and opened the office door. Floyd had definitely been here. The sheaf of papers on my desk would have told me that if Snick hadn?t. I sat down and picked up the top sheet. It said:

Dear Mister Anchev,

Please find enclosed the forms requiring your signature. I humbly beseech you not to take up the whole page this time?it is needlessly flamboyant and is a flagrant violation of the Amnish Taxation and Revenue Board guidelines.

Sincerely,

Floyd

I had to smile. I?d caught all sorts of hell for that last trick, but it was worth every minute. Some folks say that taxmen have no sense of humor. Floyd was living proof.

My smile faded as I realized just how many of those damned forms were on my desk. I swept them off and onto the floor. Floyd would just have to wait.

There was a book underneath that I recognized. Imoen had been bugging me to read it for the past week. Having nothing better to do, I opened it. It was one of those sappy romance novels that she liked. This one was about a paladin and a flesh golem. I was glad when the door opened.

It was the maid. ?You got my message,? she said.

?I did. Come in.?

I watched her fumble her way to a chair. She looked like she?d faint if you looked at her funny. I wondered if Farrahd had gotten the drop on Sis.

?Something?s happened,? I said. It wasn?t a question.

She stared stupidly at me, her mouth hanging open like a fish on a plate.

?Well, go on then. Begin at the beginning, continue to the end, and then stop.?

?There was a?disturbance?this morning. Normally, I wouldn?t worry. The mistress can take care of anything. But this time, even she was at a loss.?

Maybe she didn?t hear what I said about starting at the beginning.

?I had just served breakfast to Lady Mirielle and Sir Delryn,? she said. ?I went to the kitchen for another pitcher of orange juice. When I returned, Sir Delryn was standing over the mistress, raving at her.?

?What was he saying??

?I don?t really know,? she confessed. ?He was speaking so quickly?I could only make out something about Yusef Farrahd and going too far.?

Well, Imoen said that the man had a temper. And I had a feeling that was a major understatement.

?The mistress tried to calm him, but I could see that even she was shaking. Really, he was truly frightening.? She leaned forward and lowered her voice. ?I wouldn?t be surprised at all if he did something?crazy.?

The door flew open with a bang, and the maid sat back in a hurry. Imoen ran into the room. ?Sarry! We gotta go!?

?What?? I demanded. ?Why??

She grabbed my hat and threw it at me. ?Yusef Farrahd died an hour ago.?

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Somebody, probably Floyd, once told me that the only sure things in life were death and taxes. Personally, I thought that was a load of crap. The taxman could be bought, and you could wake up one day in your sister?s pocket plane after a short stay in Hell. But only if you were a Bhaalspawn. Poor Farrahd had to play by the rules.

I stared down at Farrahd?s body, waiting for Trade to quit jawing with the help. The place was crawling with cops. Some of them were capturing images of the scene, while others argued about how far the fire had burned down at the time of death. All of them studiously avoided looking at the body, and with good reason. He wasn?t terribly good-looking in life, and things had gone downhill in death.

?Hey, Anchev!? I looked up. Trade walked toward me, smiling like he?d just won the lottery. ?Looks like our man overdosed on Bittersweet syrup.?

?Bittersweet??

?It?s used to treat bronchitis,? said Trade. ?Small doses ease breathing and relieve pain, but more than a spoonful and you?re a goner.?

?Aren?t you going to have Moore cast the replay spell?? Imoen asked. ?Or did you want me to do it??

Trade shook his head. ?Magistrate?s satisfied that it?s a suicide, so there?s no real need. Plus I don?t really want to deal with the Cowled Wizard red tape tonight. Let?s save that for the cases that need it.?

?Inspector!? One of the guards came forward, brandishing a note. Trade skimmed through it, raising one bushy eyebrow, and passed it to me. It read:

Unfortunate circumstances force my hand. One cannot struggle against Fate.
Please accept my apologies, Lady Coltrane, for what I have done. Murder is not the
sort of deed I can be proud of, but I did what I felt I must.
Tell your brother that I am sorry about the wine, but
a detective must always watch his intake.
I am feeling a bit strange now, so I shall end this. The guards are certainly
rushing to the scene. They are most diligent. Forgive me, Father. And oh, my
Surayah, I feel so close to you tonight?

Yusef

Yet another person telling me to lay off the hooch. I might be annoyed if I weren't so puzzled. ?Strange phrasing,? I said. ?And his writing is really bad, even for him. Lots of blots.?

?We think he wrote it after he took the Bittersweet.?

Imoen read the note with a little frown on her face, her quick eyes roving over the page. I could see her mind was doing a little overtime. She politely excused herself.

I handed the note back to Trade. ?So I guess your case is solved, eh??

He nodded with satisfaction. ?Pity we couldn?t track down the actual perpetrator, but the mastermind is safely out of the way. Someone should inform Lady Mirielle of this development.?

?I?ll take care of that. She?ll be pleased.?

Imoen was nowhere to be found, so I said my goodbyes and left the Farrahd estate, trusting that she?d catch up. I tried to shake off the air of melancholy, but it clung closer than a dame?s perfume. Reading a dead guy?s last words will do that to you.

Poor Farrahd. He may have tried to kill me, but who hasn?t? He wasn?t a bad guy underneath. I rubbed my forehead, feeling an ache like a dagger between my eyes. The cops had it all figured out. Figured out and wrapped up with a neat little bow. Something still stank about the case, but then again, something always did.

A cold wind rose, and I settled my cloak more firmly against my neck. Just a little farther and I could go back to trailing stool pigeons and boozing it up in the Crooked Crane. All I had to do was tell Sis.

My amulet flashed, and I held it up. ?Anchev.?

?Heya, Sarry.? For once, Imoen didn?t sound too cheerful.

?Where the hell are you??

?Upstairs in the Farrahd estate.?

?Practicing your lockpicking??

?No, silly. Didn?t you read Yusef?s suicide note? I?m just looking where it told me to.? I could hear her grin clearly over the connection. ?Don?t tell me you missed it.?

Huh? I tried to remember the letter, wondering where it had said to go upstairs. I couldn?t think of anything, but I knew Imoen had a good eye. So I tried for the bluff. ?Of course I saw it. I was just testing you.?

She didn?t fall for it. ?Yeah, okay.?

?Find anything??

?Lots of shady deals, lots of pretty jewels, and two very interesting notes. Seems somebody did write him about the Coltrane shipment, and all but spelled out that he could hurt their business by messing with it.?

I stood a little straighter. The case wasn?t closed yet. ?And the other note??

?Written by the same person. It was a warning that a certain brother and sister duo was coming for a visit.? Her voice changed. There was a hint of steel beneath the chirp. ?Said to take whatever steps he deemed necessary to shut our traps.?

?Farrahd was never one to listen to good advice. I?m guessing there wasn?t a signature.?

?That?s right.?

?Then that?s a whole fat lot of nothing.?

?Geez, calm down, Sarry. I?ll poke around a bit more.?

?Great. Meet me at the Coltrane joint when you?re done.?

?You got it.?

She broke off the spell. I grimaced and dropped the amulet, letting it thud against my chest. Whoever had written those notes had known we?d be coming. Given the state of Athkatla?s gossip network, that could be a lot of people. But there were only a few who knew about the evidence against Farrahd.

My head began to pound. I needed a drink. Again. There were a few bars nearby, but Snick?s was the only joint in town that didn?t serve my whiskey with a paper umbrella.

I changed direction and didn?t stop until I reached the dim lights of the Crooked Crane. As I stepped inside, I noticed someone in my seat. That was my thinking seat. I walked up to him and barked at his plate-mailed back, ?Move it or lose it, kid.?

He turned around. I looked into a familiar face. The face of Anomen Delryn.

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

?Hello, Sarevok,? said Anomen. He waved his glass in welcome. A splash of wine slopped onto the floor. In the wavering light, the wet stain looked just like blood.

?Hello, Anomen. Waiting for me??

?Of course.? His voice was slurred. I could tell he?d been waiting for a while. ?Sit down, have some wine.? He shoved a filthy pitcher towards me.

It?s hard to argue with a drunk. I sat and motioned to Snick. He leaned close as he handed me a glass. ?Need a hand, Mister A?? he murmured.

I wasn?t sure what kind of a hand Snick could give. From the smell, I guessed he?d been sampling his wares for the better part of the evening. I glanced at Anomen. I could hold my own, even if he wasn?t as drunk as he looked. ?Nah. But stick around, just in case.?

?You got it.? Snick slouched off, just far enough to look like he was out of earshot. I heard the telltale scrape of a crossbow underneath the bar.

A girl in tattered finery took her place in the corner. She began to sing, her long fingers plucking at a lap harp. Her sad croon wove in and out of the clink of glasses like one of those satin ribbons Sis liked to wear.

?All right, I?m here,? I said, pouring myself some wine. ?What do you want??

Anomen sighed and absently wiped his beard. ?Have you ever been in love, Sarevok??

For a moment, the world stood still and I saw Tamoko?s eyes, just before she turned and walked out of my life forever. I drowned the memory in a hard slug of booze. ?A doll in Baldur?s Gate once got a fur coat out of me. I guess you could call that love.?

?Aye, love?the poets sing of its bliss, its pure, cleansing fire, its sanctity.? His face darkened into a violent scowl. ?Lies, all lies! She took everything, my soul, my honor, my life?Helm help me, I would give it all again even now, knowing her for what she is.?

I didn?t have to ask who he was talking about. The sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach told me that I already had a pretty good idea.

?By Helm, when I heard what had happened?I was sad, of course, that Kelsey had to die, but a dark portion of my soul rejoiced at the news that Miri was finally free to love as she would.? He slammed his fist down on the bar and made the wine jug hop. ?I should have known better! I never should have come back after what she did to Saerk and his daughter!?

Anomen twirled his glass in his stubby fingers. ?No one else knows?no one even thought of it. But I knew. I saw Surayah?s scarf in her pack. I saw the blood on her dagger. I almost went to the Magistrate?what would the Order have said if they knew what kind of company I kept?but I could not. I would have done anything for her?anything??

?She?s a persuasive dame, I?ll give you that.?

?And now Yusef is dead?Helm forgive me, I cannot say that I am sorry. He was a dishonest man, a shabby trader, a blackmailer?but he did not deserve to die. And you and Lady Imoen did not deserve what happened??

He drained his glass in a single gulp. I refilled it, but Anomen didn?t seem to notice or care.

?You wouldn?t think a woman like her could do it,? he murmured brokenly to his glass. ?My heroine, my shining beacon of righteousness?Miri??

I should have left him there and let him drink himself stupid to the melancholy strains of the harp. But I almost felt sorry for the guy. ?Anomen.?

He turned away and did not reply.

?Anomen. Did you kill Farrahd??

?Leave me be. I have lost everything this night, now that the Order has cast me out like the dog I am. I cannot bear anything else.?

?Cause if you didn?t, it would be wise to say who did. Otherwise, the cops might get the wrong idea when I bring you in.?

His shoulders sagged. ?Aye, I had expected you would call the guards on me. It is almost a relief that this is finally over. Just allow me one moment to finish my wine.?

Anomen brought his glass up to his mouth. His throat worked as he drank it dry. He set it down again and wiped his mouth.

?Better?? I asked.

He choked, his face white as a sheet. ?Lord?? he asked, staring at something nobody else could see.

There was a thud as he fell forward onto his face, and then, silence.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:31 AM

I stared at Anomen?s body. There was only one thought running through my head.

?Shit! Shitshitshit!? Snick peered over the bar, crossbow in hand. ?A Knight, dead in my bar! Man, the Cowlies are gonna have my liquor license for this??

?Quiet!? I knelt by Anomen?s side and felt for a pulse. I was relieved when I found it, weak, but there. ?The man?s not dead.?

Snick sagged against the counter. ?Praise Tymora. I thought my wine had killed him. I didn?t give him the good stuff, you know.?

?You never give anyone the good stuff, Snick.? I rolled Anomen over onto his side and smelled his breath. ?Pah! He reeks of wine. How much did he have??

?No more than seven or eight bottles.?

Seven or eight bottles of Snick's watered-down garbage? With whiskey, it took just one to get really hammered. Maybe two. Three at the outside. Knights were useful in a fight, but they knew nothing about effective drinking.

?What were you planning to do, rifle his pockets when he passed out??

The look on Snick?s face told me that my guess was right.

Anomen groaned. His eyes cracked open. ?What?what happened to me??

?You passed out,? I told him. He didn?t seem to understand, so I dumbed it down. ?You?re drunk.?

?Drunk? But that?s impossible, one trained in the ways of the Order cannot get drunk. I?? He tried and failed to sit up. ?Oh, my head??

?Just lie still. Maybe next time you?ll think twice before cracking open a bottle or seven.? I leaned closer. He could have puked at any minute, but I?ve had a lot worse splattered across my face. ?Now, tell me, Anomen, what else did my sister do??

It was lucky for me that Anomen was too groggy to protest. My heart lifted as I pieced together his ramblings. For the first time since this whole mess began, everything made sense.

?You okay, Mister A? You got this weird expression on your face. Looks almost like a smile.?

I?d forgotten Snick was there. ?Never mind that. Have your boys put him into a room. I?ll let Trade know where to collect him.? I stood up and wiped my hands on my pants. ?And leave his pockets alone. His drinks are on me.?

I left Anomen in Snick?s capable hands and went to visit Trade. Twenty minutes later, I was walking up the street to see Sis. We had a lot to talk about.

#12 -Guest-

-Guest-

?Sarevok!?

Sis ran up the garden path. The sleeves of her pale blue robe flapped behind her like the wings of an angel. She was crying again. I groaned inside.

?Hi, Sis. What?s wrong now??

?Oh, Sarevok! Imoen told me what happened at the estate, and I?ve been so worried and?and??

She hurled herself into my arms and sobbed against my chest. I stroked her hair. The scent of lilies perfumed the air around us. I never knew that murder could smell so sweet.

But I refused to get distracted. Not now, and not with her. I unwound her arms from my neck. ?Is Imoen here??

?Yes. She?s in the parlor.?

Sis took my hand, and we walked into her house. Imoen was lounging on the pink sofa. She jumped up when we entered the room.

?Sarry! Where have you been?? She hugged me and sniffed my breath. ?Drinking? Again??

?Surprised??

?Not really.? She patted my back and put her mouth close to my ear. ?I wish you?d come sooner,? she whispered. ?Mirielle?s been a real handful. She?s gone through twenty handkerchiefs. The maid?s gonna have a fit.?

I would have apologized, but I wasn?t sorry. Not if it got me hugs from two beautiful dames in one day.

?Please, have a seat,? said Sis. ?Now that we?re all together again, can I offer you some tea? As a celebration of sorts??

?Sure!? said Imoen. I just nodded and watched Sis ring for the maid.

Once the tea had been brought and the maid had gone away to eavesdrop at the parlor door, Sis started talking. ?I?ve been so worried about you two! The story Immy told me was just horrifying! Locking you away in a dungeon?is there nothing that man won?t do? You take milk and sugar, right, Immy??

Imoen nodded. ?Yeah, thanks, Miri. It was more of a storage space, but I guess it did the trick. If only I could get my hands on that person who warned him that we?d be coming?I?d fireball him from here to Waterdeep!?

Sis smiled sweetly as she shoveled half the sugar bowl into Imoen?s tea. I had to hand it to Sis. She?d done one hell of a job pulling the wool over everyone?s eyes. Her only mistake had been to come to us in the Crooked Crane that night. She should have waited for us to find out about Kelsey and come to her. She could have done all the crying she wanted, and neither of us would have gotten in the way. Too late now.

Her hand paused over Imoen?s cup for just a moment too long. I reached out and grabbed her wrist. Sis gasped as I forced her hand open to reveal a tiny vial.

I looked her straight in the eye. ?You already tried to kill us once. Why do you think you?ll succeed this time??

The blood drained from Sis's face. ?I?I don?t know what you?re talking about, Sarevok. Those are just vitamins. I thought Imoen looked a little peaked??

?Save it, Sis. Anomen talked. He had some interesting things to say, about you, and Saerk, and Kelsey.?

?It was you!? Imoen burst out. ?It was you all along!?

Sis shook her head, avoiding our eyes. ?Really, I don?t think??

?Oh, I think you know exactly what I?m talking about. But Imoen doesn?t, so I?m going to tell a little story. A story about a woman who fell in love with a guy who wasn?t her husband.?

Sis shot me a hateful, wintry glare. ?Stop it.?

I crushed her hand in mine, enjoying the way she cried out in pain. ?Shut up and listen. Maybe this woman tried to be a good wife, I don?t know. I wasn?t around. But the fact remains that instead of sucking it up or getting a divorce, she decided to take care of her little problem. She decided to kill Kelsey.?

I paused for effect. It wasn?t wasted. Imoen?s eyes narrowed, and I could almost see her putting two and two together. I needed to hurry, or she?d be stealing the show.

?Now, this dame had a lot to lose if word got out about what she was planning to do. So she decided to find a fall guy. Someone who had every reason to hate her husband. Farrahd. Unfortunately he hated her as well, so she had to find some chump to help her, someone whose handwriting Farrahd wouldn?t recognize.?

Imoen beat me to the punch. Damn! ?Someone like Anomen Delryn.?

?Leave him out of this!? Sis snapped. Her baby blues glittered like chips of ice.

I ignored her and continued with my story. ?Maybe she told him it was some kind of joke, or that he was helping to expose Farrahd?s greed. It was easy, since Anomen would believe whatever she told him. What wasn?t so easy was arranging matters so that hubby would kick the bucket. Farrahd was no fool. He wouldn?t charge in and kill the guy, knowing he?d be in for a little session with the hangman when he got caught. No, a little spell was needed, to make emotions run high. And something else was needed, so that Kelsey couldn?t fight back. Care to tell us what that was, Sis??

She stared right back at me. Her face was a closed book, and there were no jacket blurbs to give things away.

?No? Fine, but we?re coming back to that later. Once Kelsey was dead, only one thing remained on the list. Kill Farrahd. Dead men make the best fall guys in the world, because they can?t talk. And Farrahd, once he got over the shock, might sing like a canary. All he had to do was turn over the papers, and he?d ensure that two other heads might roll along with his. And maybe, just maybe, he?d be even with you, Sis, for killing his father and sister.?

Imoen?s head snapped around like a speeding sling bullet. ?You killed them. I thought something was going on that night, but I didn?t want to believe?Saerk and his daughter?oh, Miri, how could you!?

?Because he deserved it.? Sis spat the words through clenched teeth. ?All men die eventually. I merely?hurried it along.?

?And the daughter?? Imoen leaned forward. For a moment, I thought she was going to turn on the waterworks. ?She did nothing, nothing to any of us!?

Sis shrugged. ?She got in the way. Ripped a hole in my prettiest shirt, too, the little bitch.?

Imoen stared at Sis. I?d been wrong about Imoen. She wasn?t about to cry, after all. She was livid, her eyes spitting fury. I got ready to run, in case a fireball was coming our way.

?Gorion taught you better than that! I know he did!?

?How is this different from all that killing we did during the Bhaalspawn wars? We have murder in our blood. You can?t deny it.?

?I can. Sarevok could. Eventually.? Imoen crossed her arms over her chest. ?And I thought you could, too.?

?Oh, what do you know? Love is just another four-letter word to you!? She rounded viciously on Imoen, her hands balled up into perfect porcelain fists. ?I?ve suffered for so long and done so much for Faerun?shouldn?t I get a little happiness in return??

Imoen wasn?t buying that one. ?You should have left Kelsey if you hated him so much.?

?I didn?t hate him, Immy. He was cute, and sweet, and had this wonderful talent for making money. And I?ve grown accustomed to silk dresses and enchanted jewelry. Why would I leave him and jeopardize all that??

It made sense, at least to me. Amnian law was very clear on divorces?it wasn?t the thing to do. Wives who left their husbands got nothing. Husbands who left their wives paid a bit of support, more if there were children, but this often meant next to nothing. But if the husband dropped dead, of apparently natural causes, a grieving widow would hit the jackpot.

It seemed like Imoen had reached the same conclusions. She didn?t look thrilled. ?You never needed Kelsey?s money, Miri. You had plenty left over from our adventuring days. At least you did the last time I saw you??

Sis shrugged her fancy shoulders. ?Well, setting up a household can be so expensive. If you get the wrong china, you?ll be the laughingstock of polite society! And don?t even get me started on the silverware?? She waited for an appreciative smile from us, but it wasn?t coming. ?And there were SO many dresses that I just HAD to have. All that time on the road meant my wardrobe was at least three years out of date??

Imoen pinched the bridge of her nose. ?Are you telling me that you spent all of that money on dishes and clothes??

?And handbags.?

?Handbags??

?Everything needs to match, Imoen! It?s a fashion commandment!?

?You should have become a god,? I said, ?and saved yourself this trouble.?

?I couldn?t. Being a god would be so boring, all those togas and frumpy robes?and I couldn?t leave my Anomen??

Sis bowed her head, and we stood around in uncomfortable silence. Imoen looked at me, and I nodded. We had Sis on the ropes, and it was almost time to deliver the knockout.

?Come on, satisfy my curiosity. How did you kill Kelsey? Poison in the water, I suppose??

This time, Sis decided to answer. ?Close. Extract of white cloud mushroom. It?s a hallucinogen.?

?Nearly undetectable, except for a faint mineral taste,? Imoen murmured. ?So that?s why he didn?t cast any spells. He was already tripping.?

?Was I right about the emotion spells?? I asked.

?Close enough.?

?Nice. And Farrahd??

?A simple teleportation spell to get into his study. Anomen stood guard at the door while I made sure Yusef took his medicine.? She giggled. ?Some guys just can?t hold their bittersweet.?

I smiled while my skin crawled. This was the dame that I?d fought for and believed in? What a chump I?d been. I almost knew how Anomen felt.

Sis simpered at me. ?I thought you?d appreciate it, Sarevok. You probably did a lot of things like that in the Iron Throne. I?m glad you approve of my little scheme.?

?Who said I approved??

She blinked, like an actress who?d been thrown the wrong cue. ?Well, I just assumed??

?You assumed wrong, Miri!? said Imoen. ?You?re going straight to the big house. Better pack your fancy wardrobe?there?s no mink where you?re headed.?

?No!? A big fat tear rolled down Sis?s cheek. ?Haven?t I suffered enough? You guys caught me, and Anomen won?t even speak to me??

That wouldn?t last, I knew that much. Sure, Anomen had been kicked in the teeth, but with time and encouragement, he?d come crawling back for more.

Imoen shook her head. ?No. Sorry, little sister.?

?But?but I?m a hero!?

?Forget it, Miri. You can?t try to kill me and expect that I?ll let you off. I?ve stood by you through a lot, but this is just too much.?

Sis decided to try her tears on me. ?And how about you, my darling Sarevok? Are you going to turn me in to your friends??

?Give me one good reason why I shouldn?t.?

?I?ll give you a number of good reasons.? She stood and went to a polished oak cabinet. Her fingers quickly unlatched the enameled pink clasps as she spoke. ?First of all, I can give you what you love most.?

?Yeah? What?s that??

Sis opened the cabinet and took out a large leather sack. She sashayed back to the tea table and upended it over the tea table. A glittering cascade fell onto the dark wood.

?This,? she said softly. ?Reasons two through two thousand.?

I let out a long, low whistle. I?d only seen that kind of loot once before, and that was in a dragon?s lair in Tethyr.

Imoen was less impressed. ?Diamonds? Oh, please. Sarry doesn?t want those.?

?Shut up, kid.? I stirred a finger through the pile. The diamonds seemed to whisper to me, telling me what I could do with them.

Imoen poked me in the chest, breaking the spell. ?You?re going to let her off? For those? Come on, Sarry, I thought power was the only thing you wanted.?

She didn?t get it. After all this time, she still didn?t get it. Wealth was power in Amn, as Sis well knew. I?d had a lot of cash after parting ways with the crew. It had trickled away over the years, spent on stakeouts, booze, and women. It sure would be nice to have some more.

I looked up at Sis. Our gazes locked, and I knew she knew what I was thinking. She smiled. There was a hard light in her eyes that I?d never seen before. ?Well, brother? What do you say??

I could have said a lot of things. But I didn?t. ?You?ve got yourself a deal.?

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Imoen and I made our way down the garden path and out the front gate. We moved more slowly than usual, but that was okay by me. Between us, we were carrying more loot than a bank vault.

I could feel the dirty little looks Imoen was throwing my way. Knowing her, it wouldn?t be long before she made her feelings clear.

Two seconds later, Imoen kicked me in the shins. Hard. While I was hopping around and swearing, she yelled, ?You jerk! I can?t believe you?re not going to tell Trade about her. She?s going to find Anomen, and wrap him around her stupid little pinky again, and make his life a living hell!?

There was only one response I could make to that. I shrugged my shoulders and kept walking. This really ticked her off.

?And I really can?t believe that you don?t mind that she encouraged Yusef to kill you! And me!?

I did mind. I just had a different way of showing it. I stopped and faced her. ?Yeah. So??

?You know she?s not going to leave us alone. We know her little secret, and she?s going to come after us one day. And knowing her, it?ll be hemlock in your whiskey, or a knife across my throat. Don?t you care what happens to me??

?What do you want, love and kisses? I thought you were a big, bad archmage and didn?t need anyone?s help.?

She kicked me again. ?Sarevok!?

Dames. No sense of humor. ?Sure I care, doll.?

?Then act like it, ya big lush! Get back in there and take care of her!?

If I stalled any longer, I was going to wind up with one of Imoen?s daggers in the back. And I planned to live. At least long enough to enjoy my newfound wealth. ?Fine.? I turned around and spread my arms wide. ?Okay, Trade,? I said to the bushes. ?Make your move.?

Imoen giggled, thinking I was making some kind of joke. She stopped laughing when the squad of heavily armed guards exploded from the bushes. Their armor and weapons gleamed with a dozen freshly-cast protection spells. Moore had to be nearby. I looked around. Sure enough, there he was, lurking in the shadows of the rose trellis. He saw that I?d noticed him and nodded my way. I nodded back.

The guards silently rushed up the path. Right before the steps, they split into two groups. One group went around the house to the back, and the other rushed up to the front door. They waited for a moment, and then broke the front door down and barged right in.

Imoen?s face was a study in amazement. ?Were they hiding in the bushes the whole time??

?If you were a better thief, you might have noticed them.?

?Sarry!?

I dodged another kick. ?Just kidding.?

Something exploded in the Coltrane mansion, blowing out a big chunk of the front door. Imoen didn't seem to notice. She was too busy talking to herself.

?They sure were well-hidden. Moore must have cast a really good camouflage spell. I didn?t think the old geezer had it in him.?

?Quiet.? I jerked my head at the house. Imoen stopped prattling and listened. A moment ago, the sounds of spells and screams had echoed in the garden. Now, there was only silence. I wondered if things had gone as planned, or if Sis had been stronger than I thought. Luckily, I didn?t have to wait too long to find out.

A man appeared at the gaping hole in the Coltrane mansion. It was Trade. He walked down the steps towards us, followed by a number of cranky guards. They looked like they?d been through hell. I did warn them that Sis fought dirty.

Two of the guards carried a woman?s body. Her long golden hair trailed in the dust. I was glad until I noticed that her mouth was moving. I couldn?t quite make out what Sis was saying, but Trade could.

?Hit her again, boys!? he shouted.

Moore leapt into action, along with a few others I didn?t recognize. They shot spells at Sis, boom-boom-boom, and her mouth froze. All she could do was glare in my direction.

?Good thing they had those spells,? I said to Imoen. ?I bet she was planning something more potent than a few dirty words.?

They carted her off, to jail, I guessed. I hoped they had good strong magic-resistant cells. They were going to need them.

Trade stuck around long enough to shake my hand. ?Thanks a million, Anchev. Your information was top-notch. Charm was the first spell she tried to use.?

I shrugged. ?It?s her favorite. Glad those helmets worked.?

?We?ll send the reward to your office. Gems or gold this time??

?Gold.? I had enough gems for the moment.

He pumped my hand once more. ?Nice working with you.?

?Yeah. Sure. Anytime.?

As Trade hurried to catch up with his crew, I looked at Imoen. She?d been awful quiet during my little talk. I wasn?t expecting a party or anything, but a simple ?Good job? would be nice. ?Something wrong??

She crossed her arms and stared at me. ?So was this planned or did we just catch a lucky break??

?I arranged it all with Trade right after I talked to Anomen.?

She kicked me again, but gently this time. I guessed that meant she was pleased. ?Sarry! Why didn?t you tell me??

?I thought you liked surprises.?

?Only when I spring them on other people.?

?I?ll keep that in mind.?

The case was closed. Time to head for home and put my feet up. Maybe I?d celebrate with a cigar and a bottle of booze. The good stuff, this time. I started out the gate, but Imoen grabbed my elbow before I could go too far.

?Sarry? If you hadn?t spoken with Trade, and Miri had offered you the same deal?would you have taken it??

It was a no-brainer. Of course. Everyone has their price, and Sis had more than met mine. Sure, she might have come after me later with a lightning wand in hand and murder in her eyes, but I would have been just fine. Sis had to lose sometime.

But I couldn?t say that to Imoen. It would be like kicking a puppy. A purple-haired puppy. So, I lied.

?Nah. She?d have stabbed me in the back anyway.?

Imoen gave me a long, hard stare. ?Good,? she said. I had a feeling she didn?t quite believe me. She?d always been a smart one.

I turned away and kept walking, Mirielle's fat sack of diamonds hitting my hip with every step. Just another night in Athkatla, City of Coin. So many coins and so many hands waiting to take them. The perfect place for a guy like me.

The End