Photo

Twists of Fate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rusalka

Rusalka
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:06 PM

Welcome good readers! This thread will be dedicated to my modest collection of short fan fics. I hope you enjoy them.

(Future) Table of contents

Fate Comes Knocking : A humourous little senario about party sleeping arrangements.

By the Mercy of Torm: A violent shock for a servant of Torm.

A New Beginning: A very sugary feel good piece. I'm almost embarassed by it.
A day wouldn't be complete without a Knight.

#2 Rusalka

Rusalka
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:08 PM

Fate Comes Knocking

Alia flung herself down on the bed with a huge sigh. She gazed up at the rich canopy that hung above her and grinned. Deciding to treat the party and stay at the Mithrest had been the best idea the sorceress had ever had.

There had been four of the less expensive rooms available that had two beds apiece. This however left one odd person out, for the party was now nine people strong. Alia had volunteered to take a cheap single room, despite Anomen's gallant offer to take her place. However, Alia didn't mention that when went to ask for a single room as well, the proprietor informed her that there was only one room still available; the royal suite. Alia didn't hesitate. With the party funds so close to her goal for rescuing Imoen she was sure that it wouldn't take long to make up the difference.

Alia stretched herself across the width of the magnificent bed and realized even then she could barely reach both sides of it. It was the most enormous and comfortable bed she had ever seen. The rest of the room was on an equally grand scale. Across it from the foot of the bed was a spectacular fireplace with a bearskin rug spread before it. To the left of the bed near the entrance to the room was an opulent lounge area with two large sofas facing one another and enough throw pillows to drown in. The other side of the room held a rich folding screen behind which stood an magnificent bath. Alia was sure she was in heaven.

Reluctantly she heaved herself up to make her way down to dinner. She gave the bed a last pat and headed for the door. "I'll be back for you later," she said.
-----------

As the meal ended, the party seemed to give a collective sigh of satisfaction. Everyone was in good spirits and very pleased with their own rooms. As the wine was passed around they relaxed into pleasant after-dinner chatter.

Jahiera and Mazzy, who were sharing a room, were actually engaged civil conversation for once. In the time they had been traveling together they had finally developed a sort of mutual respect. Keldorn, Nalia and Aerie were also managing to have a decent conversation as Jan had had enough of the turnip wine, (a home brew that he managed to smuggle into the inn,) to keep even him from starting off on any of his wild stories. Minsc was quite happily occupied in his discourse with Boo, which left Alia free to focus all her attention on a certain Knight of the Order.

Alia could tell this was highly to Anomen's satisfaction as well. In recent days Alia had found herself thinking of him almost constantly. She still had the flower he had given her nearly a week ago, even though it was almost completely wilted. The look in his eyes when he had given it to her had sent a tingle of warmth down her spine. After the way he had been staring at her tonight, that tingle had become a very familiar feeling.

Several times that evening she had dared to brush up against him as he sat beside her at the table. Anomen had keenly noticed these occasions and had sworn to himself that he would never have a better opportunity. He finally summoned up his courage and leant over to whisper in Alia's ear. Her smile and the blush that spread across her cheeks gave him her answer.
-----------

Alia paced across the large room again praying that Keldorn would fall asleep soon. Although Anomen had summoned up the courage to ask to be her lover, it had fallen short of letting the rest of the party know. Since he shared his room with the older knight, Anomen's modesty insisted that Keldorn be unconscious before he could try sneak away. Alia knew it wouldn't be a secret for long, but just for tonight she was glad that they could be together without the others knowing all.

On the other hand if Anomen didn't make his appearance soon, she might just chew her lip off from nervousness.

Finally she heard a soft tap at the door. She rose to let him in. For a moment after the door closed behind him they stood a little awkwardly gazing in awe at one another. The room was lit only by the dreamlike glow of the fire place and a few candles. Alia had left her long auburn hair loose, flowing down her back. She wore only a heavy silken robe that had come with the room. Anomen brushed the fabric of her sleeve as he reached for her. She pressed herself against the rough cotton of his simple tunic as his arms came about her and he bent his head to kiss her.

Before either had broken their passionate embrace they found themselves already sinking down onto the edge of the bed. Alia felt her heart beating swiftly as she pulled Anomen down on top of her and their lips meeting again. Her hands slipped beneath his shirt feeling the taught muscles of his back and shoulders. He groaned began to caress and kiss his way along her smooth throat, the tickling of his beard on her soft skin becoming an exquisite torture. She gasped ever so slightly as she felt his warm breath against the skin just above where the edges of her robe met.

Suddenly there was a sharp tapping at the door. Alia gave an inward groan as Anomen nearly leapt off of her.

"Helm's beard!" he hissed in a hoarse whisper looking fearfully at the door.

"It's ok, Anomen," Alia whispered to him. "I'll just see who it is and get rid of them."

"But who ever it is will see me! It's probably Sir Keldorn thinking I've gone missing!"

"So? He'll see your not missing."

"But to see me in this state!?" He gestured dramatically towards his lower region.

Alia suppressed a small smile. "Ok, go hide behind the dressing screen."

As Anomen hurriedly disappeared, Alia opened the door.

Her heart sank as she saw Aerie standing in the passage. The avarial's face was pink and tear stained. "H-hullo Alia, " she stuttered, "I-I hope I'm not dis-t-turbing you..."

"Aerie? What's the matter? Have you been crying?"

"Y-yes," said Aerie miserably. "C-could I come in for a few minutes?"

*Oh no* thought Alia.

"Of course you can come in!" she said trying her best to sound sympathetic. *Five minutes, that's it. Five minutes*

Alia steered Aerie to a sofa and sat her down. "Now what has gotten you so upset?"

Aerie sniffed. "You've been so kind to me Alia, and I've tried to f-follow your advice but- but... I just don't think I can go on!" Aerie burst into a fit of sobs and pressed her face into a pillow on the couch.

Alia could almost swear that she heard a groan come from behind the screen. Gingerly she patted the sobbing elf on the back. "Shhh... it's ok.... "

"No it isn't! I can't s-stand it any longer! I can't s-stand living on the horrible ground!"

Helplessly Alia tried to calm her down. "It's going to be alright Aerie! We've talked about this before. You'll just have to be strong!"

"But it's no use!" wailed Aerie. It took several minutes more before the sobs began to quieten. Alia realized she could see a vague silhouette of Anomen shifting from foot to foot behind the screen. At last Aerie began to see reason.

"I-I'm sorry for being s-such a burden, Alia...."

"It's no problem Aerie. You're just tired now. You should get some sleep."

Aerie fingered the soft pillow she had been crying into. "I hope you don't mind my asking but it's just that I... don't want to wake Nalia up. I'm sorry for being such a bother but, um.... would you mind if I slept in here tonight?"

Alia sat frozen for a second with her mouth open when suddenly there was a thump and the ornamental screen began to fall forward. Aerie gave a little gasp of surprise as a pair of hands appeared trying to stop the fall.

"There's someone in here!" Aerie squeaked in alarm.

Alia swore under her breath. "It's all right. It's just Anomen." Defeated, she put a hand to her forehead and slumped back on the sofa as Anomen immerged sheepishly from behind the screen.

"Oh!" said Aerie, slightly flustered. "W-what are you doing here, Anomen?"

*What indeed!* Alia thought incredulously. *Is she really that naive?*

"I-I was just came to borrow a-a book!" Anomen began hastily. "Um, a book that's right. I beg you to f-forgive me for overhearing your, um, conversation, but I did not wish to embarrass you by witnessing your troubles...."

"Oh," said Aerie, colouring a bit. "That's ok. So... you a-and Alia aren't...?"

"Oh no, of course not!"

"I see." Aerie looked back at Alia. "So, may I stay then?"

*Brilliant. Just brilliant.*

There was another knock at the door. Alia opened it and found herself staring down at a groggy halfling with a blanket over her shoulder.

"Mazzy?"

"I'm truly sorry to disturb you my friend, but would you mind if I shared your room tonight. Jahiera's snoring is more than I can stand. Aerie, is that you? What's the matter?"

Before Alia knew what was happening Aerie was having a fresh outburst of crying again and Mazzy, having a soft spot in her heart for Aerie was attempting to comfort her. Anomen appeared at Alia's side.

"My love I fear I should return to my own chamber." He looked terribly crest fallen.

"Please Anomen, don't go," she begged. "I'll get rid of them I swear!"

The hand of fate descended. It was knocking on the door again. Disbelief written across her face, Alia opened it.

"Boo says that crafty gnome is trying to hamster nap him again! He is pretending to sleep but Minsc knows there is no one who could kidnap a miniature giant space hamster in his sleep! Boo must stay here where he can be safe. My, you have a very pretty room!"

Before she had even closed the door, Alia caught sight of Nalia in the corridor.

"Is Aerie in there? She seemed upset earlier and she hasn't been back to our room."

"Yes, she's here", came Alia's flat reply.

Anomen was lost to her. "Goodnight, my lady."

Alia sighed deeply. "Goodnight Anomen", she said forlornly.

In a half an hour Nalia left with a fairly calm Aerie back to their room. Minsc was already snoring on one of the large sofas and Mazzy was settling down on the other. Boo had taken over one of the pillows of the great bed. Dejectedly Alia laid down and shut her eyes.

There was a knock on the door.

"Keldorn?" Alia asked fearfully a when she answered the knock.

"Forgive me for disturbing you, but I thought I should let you know I'm going to spend this night at my estate. I feel guilty for leaving my Maria alone when I could just as easily make the journey home whenever I am in the city. I shall return in the morning."

A spark of desperate hope shone in Alia's eyes. "You're leaving Anomen all alone in your room then?"

"I fear so. Goodnight Alia."

"Thank you, Keldorn".

She waited only until he was safely down the hall before she made her dash for his almost abandoned room.

#3 Rusalka

Rusalka
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:12 PM

By the Mercy of Torm

Keldorn drew back his sword for the final blow. This would end it. But even as he raised his blade he saw the mace fall from his opponent's hand.

Anomen crumpled to his knees before him. Blood issued from the deep wound in his side at an alarming speed. Keldorn was vaguely aware of the others that stood silently around them. Shaking, the young man clutched at the seam in his armour where Keldorn's blade had struck home. The paladin stood frozen to the spot.

Anomen's breath was coming in short gasps, each bringing him nearer to his end. He was trying desperately to utter a healing prayer, but his words were choked by the blood welling from his lungs.
Keldorn tightened his grip on his sword but could not find the strength to deliver the final stroke.

A shield clattered to the floor, Anomen falling sideways onto it. He would not rise again.

"Finish it!" a voice in Keldorn's head whispered. "Finish it now!"

He took a step forward.

"Be merciful! End his pain!"

Torm's mercy! It did not have to end like this! He lowered his blade.

Keldorn could not take gaze from the dying man before him. Their eyes met. He saw in an instant the full agony of defeat in the young priest's face as he realized that death was staring back at him. A sick feeling flooded Keldorn's heart. He saw the fear in Anomen's glassy stare, the naked horror of the abyss that confronted him.

By Torm, he is hardly more than a boy! What have I done?

An agonized moan broke from Anomen's lips as he cowered before the knight.

Abyss take that woman! She is the one who has brought him to this! He must not die! Not like this. I can save him yet.

Keldorn's sword clashed to the ground as he knelt, fumbling for the healing potion in his belt. Torm, forgive me. His soul can still be saved!

Suddenly, a woman's piercing shriek rent the air. With a shock, Keldorn felt his head wrenched backwards and the point of a blade cleave into his throat. He convulsed in agony as the sharp stiletto buried itself in his heart. The world faded from his eyes as he heard a bitter hissing in his ear.

"You've lived too long, old man!"

He felt a cold like numbing ice rushing in his head. Torm save me! Maria!...

His body slumped to the floor.

The Bhaalchild snatched the healing potion from Keldorn's dead fingers, pulling Anomen into her arms.

"Viconia! Heal him! Now!"

#4 Rusalka

Rusalka
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:50 AM

A New Beginning

Kelsey nervously brushed a stray lock of golden hair out of Orianna's face. The half-elf's eyes were pressed tight shut, her face was flushed, beads of perspiration glistening on her brow. She moaned in pain. Her breath was erratic and forced. He gripped her hand more tightly trying to keep his panic under control. She's going to be alright, he tried to tell himself. The loud voices of the others around them were a blur of sound to him.

"Kelsey?" her voice was weak and she sounded slightly confused. He stroked the side of her face soothingly, forcing himself not to look down at the blood.

His own voice sounded weak as well. "I'm right here love, it's going to be alright...."

She moaned again. "Kelsey, it hurts...."

"I know, I know Ori. It's going to be OK, I promise. Jahiera's right here."

"Kelsey? You're... hurt...."

"What?.... I'm fine," he said, a bit confused by her words. "Why would I be hurt?"

"Not you, you big dummy!" piped up Imoen. "You're hurting her! You're squeezing her hand to hard!"

Kelsey looked down to see that his knuckles were indeed white. He let go hastily.

"Oh Gods, I'm sorry my love!"

Orianna smiled weakly, whispering that it was ok.

Jahiera was not so forgiving. "Kelsey, for the love of Silvanus, stop distracting her! She needs to concentrate. Push Orianna!"

Kelsey took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves. He wasn't going to survive being a father if he had a nervous breakdown before his first child was even delivered. Orianna seemed to be doing better now, but Jahiera was still getting frustrated. Imoen was hopping from foot to foot next to the end of the bed.

"Stop fidgeting, child. I'm trying to concentrate."

"Oh, this is so exciting! I'm going to be an aunt!"

"Quiet! Kelsey, stop looking so lost and wipe her brow."

"Oh! Right!"

"How much longer?" groaned Orianna.

"You're almost there, just a few more minutes.... Imoen! I said stop being a nuisance or I'll make you leave the room!"

"Fat chance, J. I'm not going anywhere!"

"Ladies, please! She's trying to give birth here. You're doing beautifully Ori, don't stop."

"Kelsey.... hand...."

"Oops, sorry love..."

The minutes dragged on. Orianna continued to push, Imoen to fidget, Jahiera to grumble and Kelsey to panic.

"Jahiera, is there something wrong? Why is it taking so long? There is something wrong isn't there?"

"For the last time, NO! She's almost there. This is normal, Kelsey, stop asking."

"I can see the head!" squeaked Imoen.

"Once more child, PUSH!"

"I AM pushing!"

"Oh my Gods!" gasped Kelsey, "its..."

"I have her!" exclaimed Jahiera.

"It's a GIRL!" shrieked Imoen.

Kelsey sat gaping as Jahiera tenderly lifted the screaming infant for Orianna to see. Reality just wouldn't sink in. In a few seconds Jahiera was busy again cleaning the child off as Imoen cooed over her. "Awwwww.... she's sooo cute!"

Kelsey looked down at his wife's tired face. She smiled up at him.

"It's a girl," he whispered in astonishment.

"I told you the Solar was right," she said.

Suddenly, a deep booming voice came from the hallway. "Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!" Minsc's speech was punctuated at intervals by Boo's distinctive squeak. "Did you hear Jan? Boo says it is a little Orianna!"

"Huh? Wa?.... Whadid I miss?" said Jan, peeking round the door.

Kelsey felt a hand reach up and brush softly against his cheek. Orianna was grinning. "Kelsey love, are those tears?"

He blinked, realizing that his eyes had indeed become misty.

"Aw, you big softy!" said Imoen, coming round the bed to give Kelsey a big hug and kiss.

"Thanks, Im," he sniffed.

"Well," began Jan bustling into the room. "She's certainly got a healthy set of lungs. Sounds like a baby griffin from what I can hear. Ma Jansen always used to say, if they don't start crying right away just start 'em feeding on turnip juice in a sheep's bladder and Gerhard's your uncle if they don't start screaming for more! Except of course when cousin Agnes added some carrot juice one time, the baby started screaming so loud it attracted all the griffin mothers in the neighbourhood, thinkin' it was there own baby......"

Jahiera interrupted Jan's story. "Well mister Coltrane, would you like to hold your daughter now?" She was uncharacteristically grinning from ear to ear as she held out to Kelsey the small bundle in her arms. He was in awe and more than a little nervous as he awkwardly tried to hold onto the struggling infant. She was so small. Her little red face was scrunched and her tiny mouth quavered as she cried fitfully. Kelsey marvelled at her delicate little fingers and kicking limbs. Her head was covered in a soft golden down and her miniature ears were gently pointed like her mother's. She was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.

Several minutes passed before he heard another word of the excited talk around them. He couldn't take his eyes from the tiny creature. Eventually he was forced (by Jahiera) to let Orianna hold her new baby. He didn't want to let her go.

Soon Jahiera decided it was time to leave the couple alone with each other. Imoen wasn't pleased at the prospect. "Oh, 'c'mon J. Just a little longer.... please?"

"Boo is so happy," sniffed Minsc as he shuffled to the door.

"Orianna needs rest now. She and the baby will be fine so we must let them get some sleep." Jahiera had taken on a very mothering tone. She was obviously proud of the delivery. "Don't keep her up too long, Kelsey."

"I won't."

"Wait! I nearly forgot!" said Jan suddenly disappearing from the room. He returned in a few moment dragging behind him a huge rumbling and clanking piece of machinery. "I haven't given them my congratulatory gift!"

Kelsey's eyes went round at the sight of the thing. Jan was having trouble getting it through the doors.

"Wow! Neat!" said Imoen.

"Neat?" asked Kelsey, "Jan, what in the realms is that thing?"

"This," said the gnome triumphantly, "is the 'Jansen Special, High Powered, Flasher-matic, Turnip-Powered, Babysitting Cradle Unit' (patent pending). I invented it myself to commemorate this joyous occasion." He beamed at the others.

"That's a supposed to be a cradle?" Kelsey thought it looked more like a death trap. Squeaking wheels, gears and springs stuck out everywhere at odd angles, lights flashed and a sharp clicking noise was coming from underneath it. The room was beginning to smell suspiciously of turnips and machine oil. It was still stuck in the door.

"Um, thanks.... Jan.... No offence, but.... I'm not letting that thing anywhere near Orianna or the baby." Kelsey eyed the thing uneasily as the clicking sound increased.

"Oh, no problem!" said Jan cheerfully. "To tell the truth, I was having a little trouble with the internal turnip combustion engine. Kept blowing up on me don't ya know. I'll keep working on it." With some more noise and a hiss of smoke, Jan and his invention left the room. Kelsey let out the breath he had been holding.

Finally, when they were alone, Kelsey settled comfortably on the bed next to Orianna. They just sat quietly together for sometime listening to the baby gurgling as she drifted of to sleep. Their happiness couldn't be expressed. Orianna turned her face to Kelsey.

"I love you," she said simply.

"And I love you. My second favourite heroine." She grinned and rewarded his joke with a small slap.
She looked at the infant in her arms again, the small red face still looking a bit wrinkled. "She looks kind of funny, doesn't she? But I love her."

Kelsey sighed happily. "I think she's beautiful, just like her mother. She's perfect."