Photo

How long will BG2 still be played

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: How long will BG2 still be played (38 member(s) have cast votes)

How long will BG2 still be played

1. 1 year (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

2. 2 years (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

3. 3 years (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

4. 4 years (1 votes [2.63%])

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

5. More (30 votes [78.95%])

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:52 AM

None of the new games that have come out so far have offered quite the same mix. The game that came closest was probably TOEE, which then blew it with dull NPCs, poor writing and buggy game play. KOTOR is probably the first real "threat" I've seen to BG2 from what I hear, though I haven't had a chance to play it.

#2 -Andrew-

-Andrew-

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:59 AM

Look how long Doom has been around...and its still "popular"(the making of Doom 3 shows that people still play the origional ones) , even though Doom was considered the first first shooter game with good graphics for its time and it was available for shareware. While Doom and BG are two totally different games, BG was a game that brought back a lot of the RPG games. Gamespy also rated BG and BG2 in the top 40 PC games of all time :D .

#3 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

In recon mission...shush!!

• 429 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:40 PM

BG2 has become a legend of some sort, IMO, and therefore there will always be those who are loyal to BG2 and play it countless times through. I know I will... ;)
*Frak Ferrari. Frak Porsche. Give me Nimbus 2000. Or a levitate spell.*

Posted Image
Mwhahaha!! I has Boo! And since I has Boo, I has Minsc too! Beware, evil buttocks! >:D

#4 Cam

Cam
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:40 PM

Do many people still actually play it? I usually just try to edit things. I can't remember the last time I sat down and played the game :rolleyes:

Edited by Cam, 11 August 2004 - 10:41 PM.

Swift as the wind No man can master the infinity of possibility;
Silent as a forest No heart can match wits with destiny.
Fierce as fire
Immovable as a mountain
- Sun Tzu (403-221 B.C.)

If one's life is useless, can death be a loss?
- Dong Xun (Minister of the Interior)

Zhuge's mighty name hands proudly on the upper sphere;
Stern and grand, the royal liege man's likeness claims respect.
In the tri-part world below he spun deep schemes.
In the age old realm of cloud, one single plume unites our gaze.
In command he was more sure than Xiao or Cao.
But the stars had turned; he could not save Han's reign.
Toiling to the end, body broken, will unbroken.
- Du Fu

#5 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:14 PM

Look how long Doom has been around...and its still "popular"(the making of Doom 3 shows that people still play the origional ones) , even though Doom was considered the first first shooter game with good graphics for its time and it was available for shareware.

Even Wolfenstein 3D still has a relatively large community!

#6 -Andrew-

-Andrew-

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:02 AM

Im waiting for some of the good mods to come out! (Redemption-the longer road, Imoen relationship/romance for throne of bhaal and return to windspear) Compliments to everyone working on it! :)

#7 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:36 AM

It seems that our community is opthimystic about BG2's future. But it also depends on the new games which will come out. Dragon's Age sounds quite promising for me... :rolleyes:

#8 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:41 AM

BG2 has become a legend of some sort, IMO, and therefore there will always be those who are loyal to BG2 and play it countless times through. I know I will... ;)

I second that.
I'm very positive about BG2's future. ^_^

#9 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:28 AM

It's impossible for me to vote. I don't know how long I'll be playing BGII. I still enjoy the game. The mods created increase the replay value. It could last for several years but it could also be much shorter.

Oh and Dragon Age won't stop me from playing BG II. No game will stop me from playing BG II.

There might be a time when a developer creates a superb new RPG but it still won't be BGII.

#10 -Notmrt-

-Notmrt-

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:32 AM

It will be played for a long time but it will dwindle to the level of which i enjoy old dos games

#11 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:37 AM

I must admit the mods here and at other forums are absolutely brilliant, without them I still wouldn't be hooked to the damn game ;)
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#12 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:06 AM

I agree that the mods make a huge difference. I had stopped playing BG2 when I happened to stop by TeamBG and saw that the Big Picture was out. It was interesting enough to draw me back in, and the other mods have kept me here. I haven't been playing so much as modding for the last few months, but that seems to be the way it works. ;)

#13 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:11 AM

Heh, I just rembered there's a pair of games even older than Wolfenstein 3D which still have a fairly active online community. Anyone ever heard of Lords of Midnight or Doomsdark's Revenge? They're ZX Spectrum games from the early 80's which many (including myself) consider to be amongst the best games ever made.

And yes, the online community for it includes people making mods :).

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 12 August 2004 - 08:11 AM.

#14 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:35 AM

BG2 will still be around in 3/4 years time especially since it was (for a time) released on DVD.

#15 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:35 AM

BG2 will still be around in 3/4 years time especially since it was (for a time) released on DVD.

#16 DirtyAlex

DirtyAlex
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:22 AM

I'll be playing it for a good many years yet - But I wouldn't be able to say how many.

Also hi! ;)

#17 Briannandoah

Briannandoah

Back to business

• 231 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:58 AM

I know I will be playing BG and BGII for years more, and there are also other reasons for that than that they are good. Because I have Mac, I have only had BGII for about a year now, and it has been there for Macs about two years. ToB was released for Mac about a year ago (as far as I can remember). So it is not that old game for me. And even when I have had BGI for a longer time, I still play it from time to time (without TUTU, I like the graphics and the engine of the original).

I still play some of the even older games I have, and I know I will never cease to play BG.

And I don't have any of the newer games, I don't have powerfull enough computer to play f.ex. the NWN (and I think I wont have it for years... :( ).

But BG rules! :wub:
Member of Sol Ek Sa.

I WILL get a life, I promise! ...Someday :P

Posted Image

#18 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:45 AM

It will be played for a long time to come, as it is the end of an era.

So... it's hard to say, I guess.

Edited by Erephine, 24 October 2005 - 07:51 AM.

崇高滑稽
·

#19 Nightfish

Nightfish
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

Imo it's hard to guess how long the game will still be played. No matter how old some things become, there are usually still a couple of people interested in them. That also applies to computer games, I guess. Take me for example: Currently I'm playing Final Fantasy 3 which was about the first video game I ever played. But here I am, over 10 years after the release and I'm playing the game once more, if just for old time's sake. :D So, I guess BG2 could potentially live until it's fans either die or become too senile to play :)

#20 Duvall

Duvall
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:56 PM

i discoveded BG about... five years ago... and i bought BG2 two and a half years ago. i would play it now and then. i loved the first few chapters. to my shame it wasnt till i had played the game for the umpteenth time that i actually finished Shadows of Amn... and further to my shame i've yet to beat TOB :o yes yes i know how can u call urself a fan YOU GOD DAMN SELL OUT MOFO!!

anyway i love this game, about KOTOR, kotor has freedom but not nearly in the same way. your much more restricted on KOTOR, Far more linear. i love BG, i guess we all do. its a shame there will be no sequels. interplay saw to that. truly that is the greatest shame of all.

then again what are we all here for? this is after all a mod community, a great community, we owe a lot to guys like wesley weimar (did i get that right?) and those TeamBG guys. kings among men. yes i have been drinking. :drunk:

BG will be around like so many other games that were above the par of the usual shit that gets released (can anyone say EAGames?) and BG furthermore. the mods dont make the game, the game makes the mods possible.

LONG LIVE BG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PS Dark Alliance is a poor substitute for a great game on an inferior format)