Photo

Several coding questions from a modding newb

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jerdol

Jerdol
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

1) How to I code a quest to trigger as soon as you enter any city in Athkatla? Something similar to what's-his-name coming and telling you about Jan's ex. Failing that, could anyone tell me how to find the original with IE?

2) How do you make a new area? Let's assume I wanted to make a house out of one of the question mark locations in Waukeen's promenade using the same basic house mapping used in most houses (including Galin Bayle's, for one), how would I do that?

3) How do I edit animations, and with what tools? In my specific case, I'm interested in removing the mandatory axe from an Orc. How would I go about doing that?

Thx in advance.

#2 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:17 PM

I'm tired, so can only form a decent answer to number 1 at the moment. :)

You'll want to use a script to start a quest. To check if you're in Athkatla you'll want to know all the area codes and do an OR() check,eg:

IF
Global("CheckingQuestStarted","GLOBAL",0)
OR(insert_number_of_areas_here)
AreaCheck("here")
AreaCheck("there")
AreaCheck("everywhere")
etc...
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("CheckingQuestStarted","GLOBAL",1)
(Put your other actions here)
END

The variable is to ensure it only starts once. :) The other actions would be creating a creature or calling a dialogue or however you want to start your quest. I think you can find a listing of area codes in the IESDP so you can pick the places you want it to be able to start. And finally, OR() has to have in brackets the number of possibilities (e.g. here the number of areas in Athkatla).

Hope this helps!
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#3 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

1) How to I code a quest to trigger as soon as you enter any city in Athkatla? Something similar to what's-his-name coming and telling you about Jan's ex. Failing that, could anyone tell me how to find the original with IE?

To do this you need to script. If you don't know anything about scripting, you need to learn ;). Here is a comprehensive, and possibly overwhelming, introduction. Looking at scripts in game will help you a lot. I usually use NearInfinity.

You will need to add scripting blocks either to Baldur.bcs and Baldur25.bcs with the Trigger AreaType(CITY), or you could add those blocks to all the area scripts of the city areas.

2) How do you make a new area? Let's assume I wanted to make a house out of one of the question mark locations in Waukeen's promenade using the same basic house mapping used in most houses (including Galin Bayle's, for one), how would I do that?

Paint. Photoshop. Whatever you like. You also willIETME.
If you open the relevant area file (from a house, for example) and remove all the NPCs, Triggers and Containers etc from it, and renamed it, then you would have a new area based on an existing one (Bioware had some blueprint areas for housing).

3) How do I edit animations, and with what tools? In my specific case, I'm interested in removing the mandatory axe from an Orc. How would I go about doing that?

Hmm, that's quite tricky. The easiest advice I could give would be don't. BAMWorkshop might help you, if you are prepared to change every single frame of every animation for the goblin to remove the axe, that is...

Hope that helps and doesn't discourage you. :) Mod on!

#4 Jerdol

Jerdol
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:23 AM

Paint. Photoshop. Whatever you like. You also willIETME.
If you open the relevant area file (from a house, for example) and remove all the NPCs, Triggers and Containers etc from it, and renamed it, then you would have a new area based on an existing one (Bioware had some blueprint areas for housing).

And once I have my area, how would I put it into the game?

#5 Rastor

Rastor

Yes, I really am a dragon. Yes, I am a jerk. Live with it.

• 2001 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:34 AM

Copying all the Area files to the override will get it in game (in so far as you could use the console to "jump" to it). Otherwise you could use an area transition from somewhere else or a script to move the player to your area.
Home of Kitanya, Improved Asylum, more...

Posted Image

#6 Jerdol

Jerdol
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:31 AM

regarding the answer to question 1 (otherwise good): How (actually where) do I create the creature? I can't put in coordinates, because there are different area possibilities.

#7 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:30 AM

IESDP to the rescue! You could use CreateCreatureObject("mycre",Player1,0,0,0) or CreateCreatureObjectOffscreen("mycre",Player1,0,0,0). The first one would create the creature right next to player1 and the second would create it just at the edge of the screen. (note, you don't have to use player1)