Photo

Possible Quests

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MythicalChicken

MythicalChicken
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:47 PM

Been thinking about a quest to help beef up the storytelling value of this mod. I have no idea if BobTokyo even wants to tackle anything like this for this mod, but I was pondering ideas (please bear in mind I have little AD&D background when you read this):

Some Ideas:

-- The Cowled Wizards are holding one of Mystra's high priests for breaking their laws: I can't imagine Mystra would be widely accepted in Amn. The predominant clerics in Amn (Lathander/Helm/Talos) have a mixed reaction: in one sense, there's some satisfaction in knowing that Mystra cannot gain a solid foothold in the area, but on the other hand they're concerned that the Cowled Wizards might begin to view clerical spellcasting in the same harsh light. Druids could also be concerned for Cowled Wizard influence ... aside from worries of persecution a la Trademeet, some would have some disdain for magic in general, others might view magic as part of the Nature's balance.

Also, as I said in the feedback board a minimum Wisdom score wouldn't be uncalled for.

Given all that, here's my speculation of how it could break down. I don't know how to code much, but after being around here a while I know how complicated this could be. I'm just brainstorming here:

Either the PC could approach the Witness of Mystra, or if meeting a Wisdom check another Witness of Mystra could spawn and speak directly to you in the next area you enter after you first leave the slums in Chapter 2. Basically, either one would note your potential for being one of Mystra's followers and ask for your help.

Either Witness would explain one of their high priests has been captured by the Cowled Wizards and they're detaining him for questioning for 2 days before incarcerating him (in Spellhold, but the PC wouldn't know that). Within 2 days you must set him free or else he goes to Spellhold.

Here's where it could branch out further: the PC could be diplomatic and convince the other clerical sects in Amn that the Cowled Wizards could prove a threat to their livelihood, at which point the PC and representatives of various churches demand his release. Fearing an inconvenient political and costly clash, the Cowled Wizards agree to let him go.

Of you could go by yourself to the Cowled Wizard folks in the Gov't District and they agree to release him if you knock off some politically inconveninet opponent. Either way, the high priest in question would be released and then relocate somewhere outside the city. Opening meeting him, he would instruct you in Mystra's teachings and give you some nifty item.

The PC could capture and interograte a Cowled Wizard (perhaps the golem building dude in Umar Hills could tell you after you find him mimic blood, or a random Cowled Wizard could spawn somewhere doing somehting he shouldn't be doing, and the PC can blackmail him into the information), discover where the CW are detaining him prior to TPing him to Spellhold (maybe one of the little used areas near the Underdark exit), go there, and kick some Cowled Wizard ass.

If 2 days pass, the priest is taken to Spellhold, and if you elect to fake mental illness to get inside, you can talk to him and be taught by him there, which is later on in the game obviously.

Other ideas that cross my mind are less complex -- helping the Witness find a bulding in the city to serve as a makeshift temple, kicking someone's ass somewhere for some reason (perhaps the Witness' symbol of Mystra was stolen from him), convincing a reluctant Cowled Wizard to "open his heart" to Mystra.

Anyway, some ideas. Not sure whether they're worth a damn or not, or even possible. Let me know what y'all think.

Best,
MythicalChicken

#2 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:23 AM

One slight problem: the Cowled Wizards wouldn't want to upset Mystra too much, otherwise she might prevent them from being able to cast spells :).

#3 MythicalChicken

MythicalChicken
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:34 AM

One slight problem: the Cowled Wizards wouldn't want to upset Mystra too much, otherwise she might prevent them from being able to cast spells :).

LMAO

Duh.

:D

MC

#4 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 07:43 AM

I doubt that, they could ally with other gods to grant them spells (and I doubt Ao would allow Mystra to forbid someone from spellcasting :P )

#5 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:29 AM

I doubt that, they could ally with other gods to grant them spells (and I doubt Ao would allow Mystra to forbid someone from spellcasting :P )

I don't agree here Feanor. Arcane casters are pretty much limited to Mystra or no one. Further, magic is her portfolio, and she gets to set the rules (according to official realms lore). Ao did not step in when she forbid creatures in the realms from accessing entire types of magic; I think he'd let her forbid a few of her own arcane casters from accessing the weave.

#6 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:32 AM

Thanks MC, it's an interesting plot. I might do something like this. However, the next upgrade will be mostly technical. Quests will come in the upgrade after that.

#7 MythicalChicken

MythicalChicken
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 03:48 PM

Hey guys,

I thought of this more as a political thing ... wouldn't the CW have some agreement with Mystra to be able to police magic in Amn, anyway, since that's basically her job as I understand it? Wouldn't a priest of Mystra in the area upset their political standing and authority? Just wondering.

Best,
MC

#8 BobTokyo

BobTokyo
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 04:12 PM

Hey guys,

I thought of this more as a political thing ... wouldn't the CW have some agreement with Mystra to be able to police magic in Amn, anyway, since that's basically her job as I understand it? Wouldn't a priest of Mystra in the area upset their political standing and authority? Just wondering.

Best,
MC

She's a Goddess. Politics are not an issue for her. ;) However, they might have some sort of understanding with her Church, and that could lead to an interesting conflict.

#9 MythicalChicken

MythicalChicken
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 06:18 PM

She's a Goddess. Politics are not an issue for her. ;) However, they might have some sort of understanding with her Church, and that could lead to an interesting conflict.

Again, I don't have an ADD background, but wouldn't the goddess of magic have some problem with a group that essentially polices magic in Amn? Why would she let them do her job for her (assuming I understand her duties correctly). I've always wondered how the CW do what they do in the first place.

Best,
MC

#10 -shnurple-

-shnurple-

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:20 AM

umm, about that mystra disallowing the CW from casting. She would never do that. I remember reading in Elminster: the making of a mage, she says that she allows all spell-casters no matter who to cast because if she started disallowing magic then people wouldnt be able to use that to overthrow tyrants etc.
i doubt it's relevant anymore, as the mod is probly made, but it WOULD be good to see that in a later version, if possible.
shnurple

#11 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:29 AM

The Mystra in Making of Mage is a different goddess than the one who's around during the BG2 era (the first one got killed). Even so, if a group of wizards started going round killing or imprisoning members of her clergy, even the original Mystra wouldn't be too happy about it.